Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Tor

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Peachy00Keen

Karryk sat at the bar with her head in one palm and a pint of ale in the other. "You know, I don't get it," she said, a somber tone to her mildly slurred speech. "I've been in and out of this town for sixty years, and I can count on one hand how many of these people will even give me so much as the time of day." She slid her hand free from her chin and let it fall on the counter with a thud as she looked Helman hard in the eyes. "Why is that? Why am I treated like a monster?" She gestured around at the mostly-empty tavern. "I keep this ruddy little place safe when I come by, and I don't get so much as a hello from half of them." She hiccuped.

Helman picked up her fallen, empty hand to wipe the counter underneath it before putting it down, patting the back of her hand gently as he did. "You're a special case. People get a little hesitant around someone who's been around for decades and still looks as young and full of vigor as you do. It's unsettling to some.You know how small-minded some people in this town can be." He leaned down on one elbow, bringing himself to eye-level with her, and he lowered his voice: "The fact that you're regularly tipsy at two in the afternoon likely doesn't help your case, though, Karry."

She wrinkled her nose and stuck her tongue out at him. "You're a toad... But you're my friend, so I'll let it pass," she jeered, attempting a haphazard wink. "I'm leaving tomorrow at sunup anyway. I might as well enjoy my last day in civilization for I-don't-know-how-long. It gets lonely out there. If the last 24 hours of company are a blur in my head, I miss it less. By the time I come back, hell, you'll probably be the age I am now." Karyyk trailed off, her upper lip twitching slightly in a disdainful sneer; "And I'll look the same way I did thirty years ago..." She balled up her empty hand into a fist the size of a child's head. "Sometimes... Often... I just wish I could be, you know, normal." She trailed off again. "Sometimes... I also wish I had known my mother. Maybe she went through the same things, the same thoughts... I have a feeling she was more of the reverent type though, I just feel it. I get that way sometimes, and I know the fire in me comes from my dad." She sighed. "What a life..."

The barkeep gently removed the glass from Karyyk's hand. He knew she wouldn't have any more once she started getting all sentimental. It was a cycle his family had known all too well. He did feel bad for her, but there wasn't much of anything he could do besides provide a place of refuge and something to do when she came through on one of her visits. He told her the same thing he and his family told her every time around: "Karry, if anyone ever comes through here in the same boat as you, I'll send them your way. You know if I could, I'd send myself."

She responded the same way she always did: "As if there's anyone else out there as much monster as me. And besides, I couldn't bear to see you grow old. That's why I come around as infrequently as I do."

Helman gave her a sympathetic squeeze on the shoulder and a sad half-smile as he turned away toward the back of the bar with her glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Steam Wolf and Peachy00Keen
GregoryAmbrose.png
The door opened with a soft bang as the 5'11 brown-haired man burst through it, a broad grin plastered across his dirt-streaked face. "Barkeep! Give me some of your finest whatever! I've just arrived from the other side of The Teeth and I'm STARVING! Haha! Also, a nice room with a wash tub wouldn't go unappreciated."

The newcomer plopped down at the bar next to Karryk, then stopped, his expression instantly changing from genial boisterousness to fascinated curiosity. "Goodness, but you're tall! Look at the size of you. Hello, Miss. My name is Gregory Aloysius Ambrose, adventurer, traveler, thrill-seeker." He thrust his hand out in her direction, genuinely pleased to meet the unusual woman, regarding her with hazel gold-flecked eyes.

____

Karyyk blinked, her eyes wide in a strange combination of amusement, confusion, and shock. She glanced between this strange newcomer -- Gregory -- and Helman. They three sat in awkward silence for a pause before Helman burst out laughing and fetched the man a glass of water and a pint of ale.

The gargantuan woman rolled her eyes at her friend and sighed as she directed her attention to the bawdy man whose hand was still outstretched. She shook it firmly and plastered on her best attempt at a smile. What an odd movement of facial muscles.

"Greetings, traveler. My name is Karyyk Gwar. I'm..." she hesitated. She'd never really thought of a title for herself. With the alcohol in her system, now really wasn't an ideal time for christening herself with some odd moniker to describe her life. "I'm glad you found this place. You seem like you've had quite a trip."

She looked the man up and down. What odd attire.

His words finally sunk in to her inebriated mind and her back straightened. Suddenly, sobriety flooded her senses. "You said you came from the other side of the Teeth?" She shook her head in disbelief. "But how is that possible? They're impassable!" She eyed him suspiciously as she rose from her chair to stand at her full height. "Sir, you should know that I don't take kindly to liars," she growled, staring down at him from practically the second floor.

Helman had returned with the beverages and stopped short, both glasses dripping as he watched Karyyk take a defensive stance toward the man. As her hand reached for her sword, he coughed and mumbled her name. She ignored him.

____

"My stars and garters! You must be so large because it's impossible to contain all that anger AND beauty in the frame of a slighter woman." He laughed, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "If you want to do a little sparring, I'm game, of course, but I'm not lying. It took a few months to find the secret miners' tunnel and traverse it, but I assure you, I am from Angrah City."

He rifled in his pockets and pulled out a silver coin clearly stamped from his city of origin, showing it to her before placing it on the counter in exchange for the frothy drink. He took a long pull and flicked the foam from his mouth with an index finger before wagging it at her in a chastising gesture. "Now, Miss Karyyk, you see there's no need to slap leather."

____

Her expression slowly faded from one of defensive doubt and disgust to simple disbelief. She removed her hand from her sword and just stared at the men. He was so small compared to her, but he had enough cocky confidence and gall to fill an entire village. She huffed and dropped back down in her seat. In all her years, she'd never been called "pretty." What a weird little man. He couldn't possibly mean it... could he?

Before Helman could pick up the coin, Karyyk snatched it up and looked it over. "How do I know you you're not just giving us a fake piece of currency and trying to pass it off as something foreign?" she asked, her voice still scrutinizing but softer, with less acid to her tone. She pocketed the coin and put one of her own on the counter in its place. "I've never even heard of this place," she fished for reasons not to believe him, "and the mining passes are stuff of myth."

Helman heard the quaver in her voice as she made her final argument. He knew as well as she did that she herself was "the stuff of myth" in some capacities. Anyone who knew her true age did. This foreigner, however, needn't know. He'd never understand.

Now closer to eye-level with the small man, Karyyk met his gaze. His eyes had a peculiar twinkle, one she only ever saw in the eyes of young children -- some sort of hope, adventure, excitement. Yet he was grown. Curious. Karyyk then squinted. She peered in closer to his face, taking his jaw in one of her inhumanly large yet slender hands and bringing him to face her straight on, so the light caught just right.

"Your eyes are peculiar..." she studied them closer. "They know too much for how little they should have seen by your age." And they sparkle in an unusual way... She released his face and crossed he arms over her chest. "You're an odd one, I'll give you that."

Helman continued wiping the tables around the tavern and chuckling to himself. Karyyk never spoke to anyone but him and Jiol or Saffa with this many words. Interesting.

____

When Karyyk took hold of his jaw, Greg held her gaze, reading her intent. When she drew his face nearer to her own, his eyelids drooped and he bit his lower lip before he could contain the reaction. He found the giant woman attractive in an immediate and visceral way, and it was written on his features even before he spoke. What was it about her that affected him so? His voice came out in a whisper “I’m older than I look.” He swallowed hard, not looking away from her eyes.

His expression was almost disappointed when she released him. He leaned back, thoughtful, then brightened. Oh, what an idea. What a mad idea! “I could show you, if you like. We could travel there in a day… Just the two of us. So long as you’ll promise to share any profits you gain from the knowledge.” His expression returned to the same one he’d worn when he sat down, only now there was a subtle eagerness behind those metal-flecked hazel pupils.
He picked up the tankard again and took a few more refreshing gulps, letting out a loud sigh of delight.

____

She peered at him through narrowed eyes still, but her features had softened to something suggesting more whimsy than scrutiny at this point. "You sir," she leaned back in her seat, "are touched in the head. Did you know that?"

She snorted and whistled to get Helman's attention from across the room. She made a series of eye movements and facial expressions and, without a word, the barkeep shook his head, walked behind the bar, produced a glass of sparkling water, set it in front of the behemoth woman, and walked away. With his back to her, she made a face, sticking out her tongue, but turned back and took a sip of the water anyway.

Karyyk was smiling at the little man now. He was assuredly crazy, but it had been a long time since someone had offered her companionship. He likely didn't know any better, but that suited her just fine for now.

"Alright, shorty, fine. We'll go for a walk. You're crazy for it -- there's nothing up there but mountains, and it's well more than a day's journey, but I'll humor you." She finished the glass of water. "Let me get my things." Her features suddenly hardened once more, her aura going cold as she pointed sharply at him, "this does not mean we are friends, traveler. You have much in the way of trust to be earned. You seem the fool, nigh insane, but I have nothing but time on my hands, so I'll play along for now." She pushed her index finger against his nose, accusingly, "Should you try any games, tricks, or otherwise funny business on me, do know that I could break your neck with two of my fingers."

Karyyk turned and strode off toward the stairs and up to her room where her pack was waiting, just a few items lying out of it. "I suggest you bathe first, wanderer. You'll attract predators from a mile away in your current state," she boomed from inside her room above the bar.

Greg gave Karyyk a wide grin of delight and called up the stairs after her. "Mademoiselle. Games, tricks, and otherwise funny business are the very frosting on my cake and the bite in my whiskey, but you have my word that I won't try to harm or deceive you.” He turned to Helman, relaxing into his stool and taking another deep drink. “I don’t suppose there’s any chance you’ll help a fellow out and tell me something more about that absolutely stunning giantess.”
----------------
He could hear a loud groan come from upstairs following his final comment as Karyyk packed her things to go.

Helman practically choked at the young man's comment. "Kid, you've got no idea what you're dealing with, have you?" He shook his head and propped himself up on one elbow on the bar. "That woman is a tricky one. She's usually pretty quiet. I'm honestly surprised she said anything to you at all," the barkeep chuckled, "though, to be fair, this is her domain when she comes to visit. Usually, she's got the bar to herself during the day, well, her and me. We go way back."

The bald, red-bearded man lowered his voice. "The gal's got fire to her, but she's reserved. Most people have a thing against her, seeing how she stands out against the crowd of your average people. She gets lonely, and all these years of it has started to get to her. She only visits so often and not for very long. Keeps movin', ya know? Anyways, she was planning on leaving on the morrow, so you showed up at a good time. But if you do travel together, keep an eye out for her, and if you can get her to open up, do. She doesn't really talk to anyone but me, my family, and the blacksmith and his wife. She's a tough nut to crack, that one."

Slapping one large, meaty hand down on the bar, Helman let out a contented sigh as he pulled over a stool from behind the bar to sit on. He resumed speaking in a normal tone. "If you want to really know anything about her, I'd ask her. I'm not sure how much she wants you to know about her or where she comes from. Don't let her brusqueness turn you away either. Once you get to know her," he spoke aside for a moment, "and especially after a couple of drinks--"

Karyyk, who had apparently been listening in on what she could hear, interjected from upstairs: "Oi!"

Helman snickered, "she can be a real sweetheart. She's not used to being shown any positive attention, let alone affection, so go easy, boy." The man patted the traveller on the arm, "And I wouldn't go calling her no 'giantess' either. She wasn't kidding about the neck snapping. I've seen her do it."

The man winked as he got up and headed to a closet and produced a fresh towel, which he handed over the bar to the dirtied young man. Washroom's upstairs to the left. Oh," he hobbled back to the closet and returned with a bar of soap wrapped in brown paper, "you'll need this. And take it with you when you travel. She may be a bit of a brute, but she does like to keep clean company."

With that, he turned his back to the young man and went about cleaning the small collection of dirty glasses by the sink.
-------

Greg sat there, listening intently, stunned because he hadn't expected to get much at all out of the gruff landlord. The man's concern for Karyyk was touching, and when the man wound down, he gave him a solid nod. "Goodness. Well, thank you, sir. I... promise I'll be careful. How much for a room just long enough to take a hot bath?"
-----

Helman waved his hand dismissively, "don't worry about it. Take care of Karyyk and that'll be more than enough payment for me."
------

Greg peered up the stairs after the large woman. "I'll be kind. Most people would look at her and think they couldn't possibly do any damage to such a great mountain of a woman, but she has a heart like the rest of us, and no denying. You have my word, landlord."

He made his way up to the offered room, bathed, shaved, washed his hair, swapped out his pants and trousers, donned new underthings, and went about various fragrant ablutions, emerging from the ordeal sufficiently presentable for most any society do.

After repacking his things, he ventured across the hall and knocked lightly. "Nearly ready?"
---

The knock startled her. Karyyk supposed she would have to get used to being called upon, what with a travelling companion and all. It had been a good couple of decades or more since she'd been around anyone on a regular basis. This would take some adjustment, to say the least.

As she secured the final strap on her bag, she pushed open the door. "Ready." She regarded the small man and huffed approvingly. "You clean up well enough," she ceded, trying on a tight, unfamiliar smile. It was a start, she figured.

Though she tried to appear cold and standoffish, and as hesitant as she was about taking on company, she was grateful to have someone to talk to. Someone besides the usual three, though she loved them all dearly. Her eyes continued to linger on the man, thinking. He had said something about his age being not what it seemed. She couldn't help but wonder.

Questions were for another time, though. She shrugged her pack up onto both shoulders and gestured with a jerk of her chin. "Shall we?"
-----

He cocked his head, trying to read her thoughts in her eyes, then gave up. Didn't mean he wouldn't try like hell to figure her out during their trip, though. Something about her made him NEED to know more. Where was she from? Why was she so large? Was she intelligent as well as physically imposing? Were her lips as soft as they loo- no. Bad Greg. "Didn't you want to bid your friends farewell before we head out?"
----

Karyyk humphed and slid down the banister to the first floor, landing with a thud on her feet. "Saffa and Jiol already know I'm leaving. Nobody else cares." As she passed by the barkeep, who was wiping down tables in the main room, she socked him gently on the arm. "Well, them and Helman here." She turned to him and gave him a great hug, lifting the stocky man off the ground as she did. When she set him down, her eyes were wet with tears.

Her voice was soft and private when she spoke to him, so only he could hear her. "Helman, I don't know how long I'll be gone this time. It's getting to be around that time though. When I come back... You know how it is. Are you sure you'll still want to see me?"

The man, who was almost her height, reached out and gave her another hug, "Karyy, you know I would never turn down the opportunity to see you again, regardless of the circumstances. As always, you'll be welcomed with open arms by everyone who matters in this little place. It's home, and at least a few of us intend to make it feel like that when you decide to come back through."

As they parted, they both wiped tears from their eyes and nodded with saddened smiles to each other.

After taking a deep breath and rolling her shoulders, Karyyk turned and regarded Gregory once more. "Alright," she said, her voice still shaky, "Let's get a move on, before we lose too much more daylight."

as written by Peachy00Keen and Steam Wolf

As they walked, Karyyk was predictably silent. For a while anyway. Eventually, her curiosity got the better of her. She turned to the tiny man and asked him, "so, if you say you come from the other side of the mountains, how did you get across? Actually. You can't even see across those mountains. Most people stay away from them, yet you felt the need to cross them. Why? How?"

Greg looked at her, lofting an eyebrow. "As I said, I researched old maps in the city library and followed the clues. As to why, well, I'm a wanderer, an adventurer. Also, I know from asking around that my father went toward the mountains when he left, so now that my mother is gone, I want to find him. There are things I need to ask him about..." He paused. "Well, just things we need to discuss."

"How bad are things up there that someone would come to here?" Karyyk snorted. "I've been to the places this land has to offer. There's really nothing of much note, though Uly is beautiful in its own eerie way and Wisp is... well... an experience..." She shook her head. "I just can't fathom why someone would want to go from anyplace else to here. Is it desolate where you're from?" She regarded his attire once more, "your clothes certainly are... different. They look better than most around here, though." Her eyes narrowed into that piercing, studious gaze again. "Your clothes seem too perfect. I think that's what it is."

He regarded her curiously. "Why do you assume things are bad there? If I'm honest, I like my home much better than this place. I think you will, too. I came here because I was going in the direction I was told my father went, but even so adventure and travel are not about what's most comfortable. Comfort is a nice reprieve, but comfort isn't what makes us grow as people. As to my clothing, I'm glad you like it."

Karyyk furrowed her brow. She said nothing, but she relaxed her expression and looked to the horizon. If only I knew where my mother went. I don't even know if she's still alive. "There's not much growth to be had here, I'm afraid. It's been a very long time since any of these places were in contact with one another, from what I've heard. A very, very long time. That's why I wander. Rumors spread slowly. Spend enough time wandering between stops at civilization and people eventually forget who you are and why they don't like you. Unfortunately, I'm not the most forgettable person, in terms of appearance, so, much to my dismay, some still remember me. At least in Parth I've got fam-" she stopped short and corrected herself; "I have friends who look after me."

Greg seemed confused by this. "Do people around here really care so much about your size? I find it striking. I think it adds to your attractiveness, and there's plenty there even without that factored in."

Karyyk went silent for a moment and glared at the little man out of the corner of her eye, keeping her face straight ahead. "I am unusually tall. Not only that, a number of people have seen me before. They are old now, wrinkled. They fear me, and they teach their children to fear me. My kind are not welcome here. Most can hide it. I, unfortunately, cannot," she finally stated, her tone flat.

The jolly rogue stopped in his tracks. "Do you mean to tell me that you do not age, or that you age very slowly? What do you mean by 'my kind'?"

A long sigh escaped the great woman. She picked up a long stick off of the ground and swung it idly by her side. She hated talking about herself.
They walked in silence for a while, Karyyk silently fumbling with words in her head: what to say, how to say it, what not to say, why not to say it. There were only a few living who knew. It wasn't exactly a subject that would make you any friends in these parts... But, she supposed she would be traveling with this person for a while so..
"I'm also not the age I appear to be, no," Karyyk eventually admitted. Her eyes were glued to the horizon and her face devoid of expression. "Physical differences from the norm are not the only things that set me apart from most people. There are other traits..." she trailed off, hesitant to say any more.

"Please tell me your age, Karyyk." Greg's expression was unreadable, but his eyes were narrowed in her direction, his gaze intense. Could it really be?! But wait. What other traits? Did it really matter? After all this time, he might get SOME clue! He watched her eagerly.

Suddenly defensive, Karyyk turned to him and snapped, "Why do you want to know?" She abruptly lengthened her stride and put some distand between them, swinging the stick at her side with more fervor, lopping the tops off of grass as she did.

"Stop! Please! Karyyk! How old are you?!" He jogged to keep up. Come on! After so long!

She stopped in her tracks and whirled around, suddenly a wall in the middle of the field. "WHY do you need to know, little man?!" she demanded, the fire in her voice hot enough to melt steel. "Why do you feel the need to pry? You only just met me. What makes you think I will share my personal story with you? I don't even know who you--"

"I'm FIFTY!" He blurted out, cutting her off, catching his breath.

Anger bubbled up within her. "Do. Not. MOCK. Me!" she bellowed as she reached out and took his jaw in one hand again, this time, with full aggression and no dainty curiosity behind the gesture. "If you think that your little games are funny, think again." She narrowed her eyes to little slits and peered into his soul, "Remember, little man. Two fingers--" she released his face, "--Snap!"

"Karyyk. I was born fifty years ago. My mother didn't die of some illness; she died of old age. I'm looking for my father so I can find out why I am the way I am. Tell me! What are we?"

A scream built up, starting small but ending in a shout so loud that birds fled from the trees fifty feet away. It was more akin to a roar than a scream of any sort. Karyyk shoved a finger in the man's face. "How do I know you're not lying?" she demanded. "How could there be more than one like me? How..."
She shook. In her whirlwind rage, she had snapped the tree limb she had been carrying clean in half. She hadn't even noticed until the small wave of fatigue hit her. She drew a hand to her forehead, "damn it all..." she muttered.

"You saw it in my eyes, Karyyk. Remember?" He implored.

"I don't know what I saw there. They... seemed familiar somehow, but I don't know why," she admitted, exhaustion sweeping over her. How... HOW...?? "You cannot be as old as you say you are. I won't believe it."

His expression hardened. "Enough of that. You're so wrapped up in your mistrust that you're ignoring the unbelievable luck of running into one another. Just... forget that voice of doubt for two seconds. Tell me what we are. Please. I need to know what I am. Where I came from. Why I can do the things I can. You must know more about it than I do. How old are you?" This brobdingnagian vixen was beginning to vex him with her refusal to elaborate.

"We're twists. Weird sorts of twists. I'm not sure how and I'm not sure why, but we don't age," she blurted out, still caught up in her own frustration. "I don't know where we are from or if it's any different than anyone else. I know there are other twists out there, but they all get old and die like normal people do. We don't. We just have to watch everyone around us that we know and love grow old and frail and finally wither away and die. It's torture."

He slumped against a tree just off the path, looking down at his feet. "You have to learn to live with it, I suppose, and appreciate people while you have them. It's why I never took a wife. It's why I left the city. All my school friends are approaching that point where they find their final comfort before they resign themselves to old age. I simply can't identify with it. What was I going to do, spend all my time going drinking with their kids? It seemed like the right time to go looking for answers."

Karyyk was silent for a long while. She sat down on the opposite side of the tree and picked at the grass around her. She could relate, more or less. Something still seemed off to her.
"You had friends?" she asked, her voice small and choked. "People didn't push you away or call you cursed?"

"Things are different in the North, I suppose. Mostly they told me how lucky I was that I had working knees, and I laughed along while wishing I could be like them, that I could have shared their triumphs and sorrows, and the little discomforts and delights of growing old with companions. Some days, I agree with them. I love living. I love good food, good drink, the companionship of good women, even if I have to keep my distance. I love the smell of autumn and old books. I love the feel of a good sword in my hand and the smell put off by a lit hearth. In the end, I'll get to enjoy a lot more of these things than my friends did, but everything has a price." He sounded much older than she'd heard since meeting him. It was the voice of an older man who'd let down his guard.

She let out a snort. "Sounds like life is a lot better for our type where you're from. Here, you're feared, resented, sometimes banished if you show talent beyond the norm. I just happened to be too big to push out of the way." Picking up another, smaller branch from the ground, Karyyk began snapping it to smaller pieces as she spoke. "I don't even know my mother. My father is gone. I only have some distant relatives that still accept me and I have Helman. His family has been friends with mine for ages." She shook her head. "I left because I couldn't bear to watch them all get older. Others started staying away from me because I never changed. I can't say I blame them."
She was quiet again for a while, with only the sound of snapping twigs to fill the silence. Eventually, she spoke up again: "What's your talent? Do you know?"

"Languages. I can read, write, understand, and speak any language, verbal or otherwise." A long pause, then, "My friends never pushed me away. I think they liked that I never changed, like it was a comfort to have something so constant in their lives. A living monument to remind them of their youth. I never told them how it hurt that they moved on with their lives while I remained the same."
"Suddenly, they couldn't go out because they had to keep an eye on their kids, or they were too tired to come hunting or fishing with me, or they didn't have time to read the book I'd recommended so we'd be able to discuss it together. When they did come out, it was with a spouse, and I felt like a third wheel."
Another long pause. "Come back with me. Help me look for answers. Come back to the city with me. Come drinking with me. I'll loan you all my books and we can spend years talking about them. Nobody will banish us. We can hunt and fish and run in the woods. Come back with me, Karyyk." Please. We don't have to be alone anymore.

'Come back with me.' 'We.' 'Us.' These words...
Karyyk was still, petrified. What should she do? What could she do? Being wanted wasn't something that was supposed to happen to her. Not anymore. This was a terrifying new prospect. What if she didn't live up to expectations? What if she never saw her village again? What if...?
"I... I don't even know what's out there. I don't know the people or the language or the culture or anything. Your world sounds so foreign. I wouldn't... I couldn't... I would stick out and..." She stood up, as if she was about to take off running.

He shrugged, still speaking casually in that quiet old man's voice. "I'll teach you. It isn't as though we don't have the time, is it?"

He was right. He was right and she knew it. She just couldn't imagine leaving this place. It was her home. It was all she'd ever known. "Sixty years of wandering this land, and now, an almost complete stranger asks me to leave." She hadn't meant to say it out loud, but at this point, what did it matter what she kept in or said out loud?
She walked around to the side of the tree and leaned against it, shaking the young plant as she burdened it with her sudden weight. So many things she wanted to ask, but it just didn't feel right. How long have you felt lonely? What did you do to make it stop? Did it ever stop? Will it ever stop?
"You seem eager to go back. I thought you wanted to find your father first...?"

"Meeting you is just about the best thing that's ever happened to me. I think we should take some time to get acquainted. It's been forty-five years since I saw my father. I'm sure he'll keep." He thought for a moment. "You know, going North doesn't mean we can't come back here whenever you want to. It's only a week on foot through the tunnels. Even if you decide you don't enjoy my company, which I hope dearly is not the case, you'll know the way back. I just think... it would be foolish of us not to explore the possibilities now that we've met each other. I know I already feel less lonely just knowing you exist."

Once again, he had a point and she could not deny that. Over the years, she had become so accustomed to her solitude, Karyyk simply feared the idea of change and the unknown. "I... I suppose," she relinquished hesitantly. The large woman sighed, "It's not going to be easy for me, so be patient. I've never left here before, and I'm not used to being with people..." her shell came back briefly, "a-and if I don't like it, I might leave. I might just come back here... And..." She let herself slide back down the the ground. "I don't even know anymore. This whole prospect turns my world on its head."
Lying down beside the tree, she let one arm fall across her face, shielding her eyes from the few rays of sun that managed to slip through the tree's branches. "I'm just so confused by everything about this. It's so... sudden," she sighed.

"To be fair, most sixty-year-olds aren't too keen on changing the way they do things." He gave her a little smirk. "I can't believe you've ten years on me. It hardly seems right, since I'm clearly the more experienced one." He made it clear in his tone that he was joking.
Greg scooted over toward her and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Look. I'm a fairly patient man. Don't feel pressured and don't think I'm going to leave you on your own just because you might occasionally threaten to snap my neck."
The hand on her shoulder patted her back before moving to his side. He didn't want to push her too much. "The fact that we're both... whatever it is we are doesn't mean we'll get along flawlessly, but if we both work at it and don't give up, we'll get there. Learning a new person is like... learning a new game. Once you know the basic rules, it becomes more and more enjoyable as you learn the subtleties of the game, and as you learn those subtleties, you obviously also get much better at the game and it becomes more rewarding. I want to learn you, Karyyk, and hopefully become proficient at being your friend."

Karyyk gave a sigh of resignation. "Alright. You win. I'll lighten up, but don't get too cozy." She scoffed an amused little laugh, "more experienced. I bet you couldn't hold your own out here. You'd get so lost. You're the type who would be distracted by a bird and accidentally fall into the Titan's Nest," she jeered. Her smug grin faded and she sighed. "I just can't imagine leaving this place. It's all I've ever known. It's beautiful... in its own dysfunctional way. I just... i can't imagine being anywhere else."

"That's the beauty of travel. You see places you never even imagined existed. I have to say, though, I personally don't see the appeal of this place. It's farmland with a bunch of xenophobic villages scattered across it. Then again, I'm an urban sort, so perhaps I'm simply not wired to understand this place like you can."

"It's really not the villages that make Tor what it is, it's what's in between. Sure, the villages are interesting, but stuff outside of the villages is way more interesting if you ask me. At some point, I want to try to make it up that big mountain to the northwest. I don't know why. You can't see the top of it, and it looks so steep, but something just sort of draws me to it."

He smiled broadly, examining her expression. "Well... we could always do that first, if you'd rather try it before we head North. Would you like that?"

Karyyk looked longingly in the direction of the great mountain. "I've never even attempted climbing a regular mountain before, let alone one of that size and difficulty," she said, shaking her head. "It seems like something that would be less likely to kill us if we worked up to it. Like you said, we kind of have nothing but time."

"Excellent. Now, as I said, it's going to take about a week to get through the tunnels, possibly less since I cleared a lot of rubble on the way here. We're going to need dry rations, water, and some sort of light source for the journey. I'm guessing you probably take more food and water than I do, so we can't simply double up on rations. Hmn."
Greg paused to think, he was clearly excited to show Karyyk his homeland and to be taking this journey with the gorgeous planeswoman. "How are you with small spaces? Will you be all right in caves and tunnels?"

"Doubling up would do. I can go a little while on a bit less than usual. I don't pack terrbly much food when I travel anyway. Hunting is more efficient." Concern flooded the previously confident features of her face. "As for small spaces," she gestured to herself, "it really depends how small we're talking. Generally speaking, I'm more of an open space kind of gal." As she spoke, Karyyk fiedgeted with her hair. If she could avoid tight spaces, that would be ideal. Otherwise, the little man will have to deal with a nearly-7-foot woman in hysterics as she tries to push past her claustrophobia... I'm sure that would go over well...

"I'd guessed as much. You'll fit, but we may have to crawl for hours at a time. As for hunting, though, there's nothing to hunt in those caverns. It's just rock and dirt. Don't worry. I made it through without any tight squeezes, and you're not THAT much wider than me, even if you are taller. I'll be with you the whole way." His hand settled back on her shoulder. "I won't leave you, no matter what. It should be a much shorter journey with good company." I mean, one or two tight squeezes won't hurt, will they? You're a bad man, Greg.

She shrugged her shoulder away, shyly uncomfortable with the amount of affection Greg was showing her. She still didn't trust him entirely, and she certainly wasn't ready to take steps in any other direction. It's not easy to love or be loved when you haven't so much as felt welcome anywhere in a couple of decades...
"You seem rather... confident about this whole ordeal for someone who has only made the journey once." She hesitated a moment before asking her next question: "And why are you always so chipper? What have you to be so happy about? You don't even know where you are!"

"I made the journey ONCE! That's one more time than the first time I did it, so relatively speaking, I'm now an expert. As for being chipper, I try to stay positive no matter what, but today I have a very good reason. I've met another person like me." And such an attracive one. "I'm not alone anymore. Isn't that cause for celebration? We're so lucky we met each other. Think of the odds that I'd emerge from a forgotten tunnel into an unknown land and come across somebody like me after only a day, when I haven't met another in fifty years and you haven't in sixty. I think as far as good days go, today is a pretty solid one."
He gave her the most winning smile he could, then began checking through his gear.

When he had turned away his gaze, Karyyk let a natural smile of her own touch her face -- the first since her childhood. She had a feeling this little oddball would grow on her. His bubbling optimism was something very new to her, and it would take some getting used to, but maybe he really did have a point -- They were lucky, in a way. The only issue with both of them being seemingly eternally young was that, if they didn't get along or if they ever became enemies, one would know that the other was always out there. That particular thought was unsettling.
She pushed through the haze of thought and looked around. "We should find an area to make shelter and camp for the night. If we can find a wooded area near the base of the mountains, I could probably find some small game there, maybe something larger if we're really lucky." She smirked, "and don't worry, 'city boy,' I'll prepare it." She didn't know what a city was, but the way he talked, looked, and acted, she could only assume it was a very pretentious kind of place.

"Hey, now. I know how to dress game. If they hold still long enough, I'll even fix their hair." He quipped with a smirk as he sholdered his pack. "We should make haste if we want to make the base of the mountains by sundown." He paused, then chuckled. "Of course, we'd probably make better time if you allowed this 'little man' to ride on your shoulders." He gave her a playful nudge in the ribs, then quickly strode off toward the mountains before she could throttle him. Goodness, what a woman. Are you out of your mind, Greg? No, it'll be fine. All she needs is some time to open up and realize I'm not going to betray her or do anything awful.

As the tiny man scampered off across the field, Karyyk reached out her hands and pretended to strangle him. "I am NOT a horse, sir!" she bellowed after him. She swore she could hear him giggling to himself. What a little twit.
Still, somehow, his childish mannerisms were comforting in an odd way. They brought her back to a simpler time, before she grew into her massive frame and towered above the rest.
She followed after him, keeping up the rear and gaining ground on him with her long strides. The late afternoon sun shone brilliant gold as it touched her hair. She caught a glimpse of it as she walked as a few stray strands floated across her face. She admired it. Maybe there is something more to me than just my size... She tucked her hair back behind her ear. Nonsense.

Greg fell back to keep step with her. "You know, I enjoy your company, even if you are paranoid and violent." He grinned up at her. "I'll wager there isn't a whole lot that could stand up to the both of us working together." He paused for a long moment. "You know that if I make a joke about your size, it's just friendly banter, right? I like you the way you are. Don't ever think I have a problem with it, because I don't and never would. I think it's important I say that to you out loud so you can't harbor any doubt on that count."

She peered down at him. The corner of her mouth twitched into what some might almost call a little tiny smile. Her eyes softened to smile what her mouth coudn't show. "It's a sensitive spot, so I guess I'm sorry for threatening to snap your neck a couple of times -- I can do it, though. It's really impresive, actually, how easily necks snap." A quick glance caught Greg's expression, which seemed more dismissive and passively amused by her macabre sense of fascination than disgusted or frightened. Curious.
"But yes, slightly sensitive subject, since it's really the main giveaway that I'm not like other people. If I was your height, I could walk into a new town, lie about my age, live there for a while until people started catching on, move out, relocate somewhere else, and do the same thing over again." Karyyk snorted, "Gotta say, though. If things don't work out up north, we can always go live at Wisp. Those people are too far gone to know what's going on around them, let alone care about it."

"First off, to snap my neck you'd have to catch me. Both times you grabbed my face, I let you. Secondly, I doubt you'd be very happy for long in one of these towns. I don't know. Call it a guess. Thirdly, I don't know what Wisp is, but it sounds like a dull place, if nobody can hold a conversation there. Just watch. I think you might enjoy the city. Then again, it can get loud and crowded at times, so it may just make you... Angrah." He smirked, then paused. "That was a pun... because the name of my city is Angrah."
"Personally, though, as I said. I think your height is rather striking."

Karyyk let out a huge belly laugh. "Wisp is far from dull. You can sit in once place for hours and watch the drunken sots wobble around and walk into things. They're quite funny. The plants that grow around there are all intoxicating. Those people wouldn't know one second from another if something fell from the sky and wiped them all out. Wouldn't even blink."
When he commented on her height, she gave him another look of straight-faced disbelief. "The only thing my height is striking to are low-hanging tree branches and small doorways. If you've got a thing for statuary though, boy do I have the town for you." Humor came anything but naturally to her. Across the span of her life, nearly the only person who ever fancied humor, especially hers, was Helman, and their visits were so sparing, she didn't get much practice.

She was telling jokes! Greg hid his triumphant smile. "I do happen to like sculpture and art of all kinds, though it's more than your height that makes you statuesque." A sly wink. "You think this is near enough the base of the mountains yet?" He tried to change the topic before she could dismiss his compliment, as though that would somehow make it stick better.

If nothing else, the little man certainly was persistent. Karyyk looked around. They were within probably a half mile of a forest that appeared to stretch out to the base of the mountains. She pointed, "If we head just insde the trees, we'll have a much easier time pitching a tent. I can't imagine it will rain tonight, but if a storm sneaks up, we will have better cover there. Follow; I will find a suitable spot for a tent and a small fire." She began walking more adamantly toward the forest, speaking over her shoulder as she went. "Do you know how to pitch a tent, city boy? If I leave you in charge of that and making a fire and pit, I can spend more time looking for dinner."

As Karyyk pulled ahead, Greg watched the grace with shich she moved those towering curves and swallowed hard. "Right. Pitch a tent. Shouldn't be a problem. Fire shouldn't be a problem, either. Sure you couldn't use a hand with the hunting?"
He started jogging to keep pace, figuring he didn't really need to pace himself since they were getting ready to rest for the evening.

She shook her head, her golden braid and wayward strands of hair brushing side to side, "I hunt better alone. I should have something relatively quickly, if the woods are good. The fewer footsteps we have to silence, the better our chances of eating a decent dinner."

"Right-o. Tent and fire." As they hit the edge of the woods, Greg began unshouldering his pack and pulling out tent stakes. "How large a fire, anyway? You expect we may wind up cooking some larger game?" He watched her, imagining her stalking some large deer or moose and found himself wondering why he found the idea so fascinating. Were her prowess and dangerous skill somehow alluring to him? He'd never found himself particularly attracted to sporty women before. Oh well, Ambrose. Just go with it. No need to dissect your reasoning.

"I'd plan for small game. If I manage to snag something larger, we'll just make it into smaller pieces or something... or make a bigger fire. We'll see." She pondered for a moment. "On second thought," she added, "why don't you go ahead and build a medium-ish fire and make a small one for smoking meat. I'll see what I come by. We can smoke the rest of the meat and take it with us." She lifted one large, graceful finger and gestured to a nearby section of forest; "I can see some hickory trees sticking up over that way. If you want to head over there and gather wood, grabbing some hickory for the smoker, that would be perfect." Turning 180 degrees from the direction she pointed, the woman began to duck off into the forest. "I'll be back before the sun drops too low on the horizon. If I'm somehow in trouble, you'll hear me. I should be back around the time you've finished the fire." With that, she disappeared into the trees, surprisingly quiet on her feet for a woman of her stature.

Greg followed her directions precisely, never having smoked his own meat before. Once he got the fires going at a sustainable level, he found some additional dry branches laying laying around and made them into bundles, which he then piled a safe distance from the fires. That done, Greg set about putting up his tent.
I could set this up so we'd have to get in close. No, too obvious. Besides, even if she were pressed right up against me, I'd have to keep my hands to myself. I don't want her to think that's all I'm after. I doubt she'd think so, anyway. That woman has no idea how beautiful she is. Still, there's plenty of time and I barely know her. There's nothing wrong with taking your time, Ambrose. As a gentleman, you need to make sure she's comfortable before you even entertain ideas like that.
She's a wild plainswoman, after all. What would it say about you if she has better self-control than you do, eh? Then again, maybe she's not attracted to me. Could be I don't measure up, so to speak. She seemed awfully familiar with that large bartender fellow.
He let out a long disappointed sigh.
That must be it. She probably prefers men closer to her own size. Well, no sense getting depressed about it. Who knows? Perhaps once we're chums she'll see the value of a 'little man.' He finished setting up the tent, then gathered himself, speaking aloud. "No. You're just psyching yourself out, Ambrose. There's no proof she doesn't like you. She's just... cautious. That's it."
He looked around to make sure Karyyk wasn't watching him, then moved the tent spikes in a bit further. "There. That's cozy without being too cozy.

Weaving through the trees, Karyyk paused every several yards to listen. Nothing. She wandered for what felt like hours, finding nothing each time. After what she was sure had been at least and hour and a half, she decided to change her strategy. She trampled down a patch of underbrush near a tree and sat down. Crossing her legs and closing her eyes, she focused her senses on hearing the world around her. Becoming quient and peaceful, Karyyk let her mind wander with the winds, moving naturally.
Today seems to be the type of day where the unexpect simply comes to me. Strange. Perhaps a little introspection will bring me some insight... Her thoughts were silent for a while. The forest around her whooshed as the breeze passed through the canopy above. The underbrush around her, however, remained consistently silent, save for the occasional mouse or vole. Nothing large enough to make a meal out of. Her mind started up again, causing her stomach to do a little flip-flop. She shivered, though not from cold.
What was it about his eyes that seemed so familiar? I swear, I've seen them before. I know plenty of people with hazel eyes, so that's not it... Maybe... The thought struck her like a cold blast of air, Oh my god, the gold flecks. My father always said my mother had the most peculiar eyes -- like they contained trapped bits of sunlight. Other than that, I can only assume they were a golden brown like mine -- or are, I guess. Who knows. Maybe she's the reason I age so slowly. Maybe she's still young, too. I wonder if I could find her--
Her concentration was broken by the sound of gentle huffing, accompanied by a small puff of warm air. Karyyk opened her eyes to find a doe standing before her, curiously sniffing her leather-clad knee. Sensing it was being watched, the doe looked up and met Karyyk's gaze. Her wide, thoughtful eyes seemed to contain a certain silent knowledge. It stood there, unafraid.
Well, crap. I can't just... Karyyk sighed in resignation. As she came to the conclusion that this deer was not going to be dinner, the doe turned and began walking calmly into the forest. It stopped several paces away and turned back to look at Karyyk as if it was to follow her.
The towering woman gracefully got to her feet and brushed off the leaves that clung to her clothes. The deer waited patiently for her. As she began to walk toward it, the doe continued on its course.
Eventually, they came to a stream, and that was where the doe left her, nimply hopping across a collection of rocks and off into the forest on the other side. In the fading twilight, Karyyk could see that the waters were teeming with some kind of fish. Trout, she assumed. From her hunting pack, she drew a large tarp made of hides and a small spear. Perched at the edge of the water, spear in hand, the fishing could not have been easier. Within minutes, she had snared four sizeable fish. Figuring that was enough, she wrapped up the tarp and tied the ends to make a satchel. With the sun almost set, Karyyk made haste as she wove back through the forest toward camp.

Halfway back to camp, Karyyk heard a voice come from seemingly all around her. "Ah. There you are. I was getting worried." The relief in his voice was audible, but he was nowhere to be seen.

Karyyk looked around, scanning the treetops. She couldn't see him anywhere, but considering how late it was and when she said she'd be back, she didn't blame him for being worried or for trying to get a better vantage point. The thought was acutally rather funny.
"Get tired of being so close to the ground, short stuff?" she smirked. "Quit monkeying around. I've got dinner." She walked toward the glow of the fire, speaking again. The levity in her voice was almost palpably different than when she had headed out to hunt. "You really shouldn't leave this big burning thing unattended, you know, seeing as we're in a forest and all."

He dropped soundlessly to the ground behind her, rolling to his feet. "Maybe I missed you, did you think of that? The fire is fine. I put stones around it and such. Dug a pit like you're supposed to."

She snorted. "What, you missed being harassed by a 'giantess'?" she mocked, emphasizing the quoted phrase. She inspected the firepit as she plopped the parcel of fish beside it, untying the corners. "Not a bad job for a greenhorn." She wanted to attempt a wink but figured she would be best off not embarrassing herself. She smiled instead, the expression becoming more familiar to her features as the hours passed.

"You say that as if I meant it as an insult. There's just more of you to appreciate. Nothing wrong with that." He prodded the fires with the end of a branch, examining her reaction to the compliment.

"Does that mean there's less of you to appreciate, O Puny One?"

"I suppose that would be up to you. Is there enough?"

"Enough what, sunshiny optimism to fend off a gallista? Oh yeah." She brushed past him on her way over to sit between the smoker and the cooking fire, gently hip-checking him in the torso as she passed by. Settling onto the soft dirt, she spread out the tarp beside her and took out her knife to prepare the fish.

"Enough to appreciate." It sounded like playful banter, but there was a defensive undertone to it that gave him away.

"Oh, calm yourself," she chided, not looking up from her work, "I was just giving you a hard time. You're an oddball, for sure, but I think you'll grow on me. You already have, I'd say." She put her work aside and stood up, cleaning her hands with some water from one of the canteens she'd filled at the creek. Walking over to Greg, she crouched before him and put her hands reassuringly on his arms. "As much as I give you a hard time, I really do appreciate your company. You can be painfully cheerful sometimes, but..." she sighed and shook her head with a wry smile, "but I suppose I'm a bit darker than most in terms of my humor and outlook on life. Don't mind me too much. It's been a long, lonely life for me. I'll come out of it soon enough. You've already lifted my spirits plenty since we met."

"Oh." He seemed cautiously optimistic, but lost himself in thought for a long moment. "I suppose it's good to know you don't dislike me." Another pause. "I know it must be frightening to let somebody get close to you when you're so used to losing people, so... I promise I'll do everything I can to stick around, all right?"

Karyyk smiled. Genuinely. "I think I'd like that, to be honest."
She stood up and turned to go back to preparing the fish, pausing to give Greg a loving brush on the head. "Dinner should be ready soon," she said, sitting back down. "Want to learn how to smoke fish? "

"I know how in theory, but not in practice. Show me?" He smiled back and followed.

Reaching into her satchel, she produced another knife and handed it to Greg. "Watch what I do," she said as she began running the knife through the fish. "This is how you prepare it for smoking. You need thin strips or it won't dry properly."
Once they had prepared two of the fish and placed them in the smoker, they moved on to preparing the ones to go over the fire. Soon, dinner was being cooked. With that taken care of, the two could finally sit back and actually relax for a little while. Karyyk went about preparing herself for rest, removing her simple armor and placing it nearly beside the tent, on a low branch.
"So, what did you do in this Angrah place?"

He seemed rather to enjoy the process and having her teach him it. When she began removing armour, Greg watched her, trying to keep his growing interest from showing in his expression. "You'll laugh if I tell you."

She turned around to face him again, carrying a blanket of pelts that had been stitched together. She spread it out on the ground on the opposite side of the fire from where dinner had been prepared. She patted the space beside her. "I doubt I would laugh, at least not too hard." She tried a wink. "Come along." She rested her hand on her soft pant leg. Her under-armor garments were soft and hand woven.

Greg moved to sit next to her, half plopping down. "Well, I did many things over the years. You can take up practically any profession you want in a city. Most recently, though, I was a school teacher." He watched her for any hint of mockery.

She cocked her head curiously, "school teacher? Like a master to an apprentice?" She shook her head, confused, "why would I laugh at that? Everyone needs a master in order to learn things... well, most everyone."

He started a bit. "Are you telling me they don't have schools south of The Teeth?" He seemed very concerned about this.

Karyyk shook her head, "we have apprenticeships for those who wish to learn a specific trade, and any other knowledge is usually gained through teaching from parents and learning outside. It seems to work well enough for our purposes," she shrugged.

"I... suppose. What about history, literature, mathematics, and language studies?" He seemed skeptical about this parents system.

"Language and histories we learn from parents and elders. Trades who need them learn the rest," she explained.

"Sorry if I seem a little shocked. The way that it works where I'm from, there are centers of learning, schools, and parents send their children there to learn during the day while they work. The schools decide on a series of basic knowledges and plan out how best to teach them. Then, all the children are taught at the same time, from the same books, and are tested on the same material to make certain they're actually learning it. Parents are encouraged and expected to supplement what the schools teach, especially in the case of very intelligent children."
"After they've had 10 years of that schooling, they typically either enter into an apprenticeship to learn a trade, or they move on to something called a university, where they learn even more advanced curricula applicable to professions requiring it, for example an historian, an engineer, a natural philosopher, or a linguist." Greg seemed animated, sweeping his arms and gesticulating while making his description.

Her head spun. So many things she had never imagined and could barely understand. So many words and concepts. All she really understood were some of the subjects and the idea of apprenticeships. Vacant-eyed and trying to process all the information, Karyyk stated into the dancing flames.
"The fish should be done soon," she rambled absentmindedly.

He smiled and put a hand on her shoulder. "You know, if you have any questions about what I just said, I would actually enjoy explaining." He turned his gaze eagerly toward the cooking fish. "Do you do this sort of thing often? I suppose you must do. Just so you know, we DO have trees and fish and animal and stars to gaze at north of the mountains, too."

"Do I what, hunt and cook?" she scoffed; "well yeah, how else do you think I eat when I travel? I think it makes me enjoy the foods in the towns more if I've been living rough for a while. It definitely makes me appreciate warm running water and a comfy bed."
She leaned forward to turn the fish, the prevously-fire-side steaming and crisp. "Just a bit longer," she said as she leaned back, this time leaning past a sitting position to a lounging position, with her feet outstretched toward the fire and her upper body propped up on her elbows. She had changed into little slipper-like shoes when she had removed her armor, and she now kicked those off and warmed her bare toes by the flames. It wasn't cold out, but being so tall, her feet got cold pretty quickly.
Karyyk sighed. "Clarification would be nice, but honestly, I wouldn't know where to start." She turned to face him, presenting him with a smile so warm, it surprised even her. "I guess you'll just have to show me sometime. I just wish I was better equipped to understand now."

Greg turned and basked in that smile for a while, lost in her eyes and in his own thoughts. What should he do? There she was, reclining next to him, giving him that big warm smile. Should he risk it? But then... why did it have to be a guessing game? If he was going to spend a long time with this woman, it was probably best to simply communicate with her. Honesty. The idea of being totally honest with somebody he intended to court terrified him, but he swallowed hard and soldiered on.
"I say. Karyyk. There's something I'd like to tell you, and I hope you won't become upset by it, because I'd hate to tarnish such a nice evening, but..." He hesitated, searching her eyes.

She turned over onto her side, still propped up on one of her elbows, and she raised an eyebrow, bemused. "What, is it a full moon tonight?"

"Look. What I said before about finding you very attractive was true, and if you were any other woman, I would have kissed you just now instead of rambling on, but the thought of scaring you off or having you think that's my only reason for wanting your company bothers me immensely. You're the only friend I've made that I know I won't have to watch grow old and die while I remain young. I don't... I couldn't stand it if I ruined things with you somehow, so... I've decided the best thing to do is just... be open and honest with my thoughts to avoid any misunderstandings. It seems likely to be the safest policy." He suddenly seemed much younger and more hesitant than before. More like his evident age rather than his actual age. He held her gaze, clearly anxious.

Karyyk was silent for a long while. A couple of times, she opened her mouth to say something, but closed it again without making a remark. Eventually, she turned, sat back up, and removed the fish from the fire, placing one on a metal plate and the other in a metal bowl, which she'd had in her bag. She silently handed the plate to Greg and kept the bowl for herself. She stared at it, wordlessly.
After a few minutes of silent staring, she set her bowl down and walked off into the nearby forest, until she was out of sight from the fireside. She didn't go far, just far enough to be alone and unheard when she muttered.
"Shit, now what?!" she whispered to herself as she walked. "I don't... I can't... I... HOW?!" She walked in a straight line before turning and beginning the path of a long rectangle, about one or two hundred feet from the campsite. "This has got to be... a joke maybe? Surely he can't be serious. I mean... Shit..."

Greg put down his plate and tracked Karyyk into the woods, follwoing her ath as silently as possible. Once he was near her, he spoke, hoping she'd turn toward him. "Karyyk."

Caught up in her own hurricane of thoughts, she had tuned out the world around her and continued walking in circles and muttering. Her pacing became more feverish and her voice began to incrementally rise, peaking at a fervent mumble, as she looped, her gestures becoming more frantic and her hair falling more and more out of its braid. "I mean, I want him to stick around, but I don't want to come off as desperate... And I want to feel the same way, I mean I kind of do already, but I don't want to jump into things, and I don't even know what to do or how to go about it or--"

"Karyyk!" He stepped in front of her.

She almost smacked right into him, stopping on the tips of her toes, just before slamming into his frame. She gasped and slapped her hands across her lips.
"Oh shit no, you didn't hear any of that...!" the words tumbled out of her mouth. Even in the darkness and faded light from the fire, Karyyk knew it would be hard to hide the redness on her face.

"Our schools also teach us the wisdom of those who came before us. In this case... 'faint heart never won fair maiden.'"
Greg pushed himself up onto the tips of his toes, threw his arms around Karyyk's neck, and pulled her lips down to his, kissing her eagerly.

What was perhaps the smallest noise the large woman had ever made since she was a babe escaped her throat. She didn't know what to do. I don't want it to stop, but... but I don't know what to do with it. I guess I stand here? I guess? I don't know...?!
She let the kiss pass, trying not to seem to rigid, but honestly not being able to control her reaction beyond not moving her feet. Seeming like it was the right thing to do, she crouched down, so she was on her knees. Once there, she froze again, waiting for whatever happened next with growing anxiety.

Greg let out a pleased sound when she made it easier for him, tangling his fingers in her long hair and capturing her lips in his, top then bottom, lavishing each with passionate attention. Eventually, he broke the kiss, trailing pecks over the side of her neck and whatever of her shoulder was exposed. "By the gods, you're gorgeous," he growled, his voice rough with emotion. "And there's just so much of you." He gave her neck a small nibble before gathering her in his arms for a lingering hug.

Try as she might to hide her expression, it was hard to hide just that much shock and anxious terror. She had never been in this situation before. Another small, tight squeak slipped past her vocal cords and she sank back on her heels. She shuddered, folding her hands politely in her lap. She didn't want to be rude, but... She had never felt fear like this before. It wasn't the same fear brought on by a nightmare, and it wasn't the same fear felt when you worried about losing a loved one. It was a new fear. A strange fear. One she wanted to embrace, but which she knew not how. So, in lieu of any better reaction, she sat there, and Karyyk held back tears.

Greg, not in any sort of hurry, was content to stroke her hair and continue the hug while he caught his breath. She hadn't killed him. That was a good sign. She hadn't run away. Also ideal. She had even moved to give him easier access. That was the best of all signs, he decided. As the hug continued, however, he noticed she wasn't exactly embracing him back, and he pulled away to look at her. "Karyyk? Are you unwell? It wasn't my intention to push you." He separated and took one of her hands to help her up.

Suddenly animated, Karyyk sprung up with little help and began hustling back toward the campsite. "I think I should get to bed," she blurted, disappearing into the darkness between Greg and the campfire.
Back at the fireside, she gathered a few items out of her bag -- a small woven hammock and a colorful quilt Saffa had made her -- picked up her dinner, and hustled off into the darkness nearby, in the opposite direction from whence she had just come. She quickly and quietly set up the hammock a little ways up into the trees, and she settled in, wrapping herself in the quilt and picking at her now-cold fish nervously. Her stomach ached with hunger and fret.
I don't know what to do. I feel so lost and confused... I -- part of me wants to feel his embrace again, but most of me is terrified of just that. She breathed deep and slow for a few breaths. He's not going to grow old and pass any faster than you are. What is there to lose? You've been alone too long. So long, that when someone new comes along and tries to show interest and affection, you go nuts. That's why you're so lonely. You assume everyone is out to hurt you somehow.
She countered her own argument: But is it supposed to go this quickly? We just met. Less than a day ago. Isn't this a bit quick, even for normal-lifespan standards? I mean, sure, he's growing on me faster than anticipated, but still, that's so much. It's kind of crazy... And he's so tiny! What if we did do... things...? How would that even work? Shit, why am I even thinking of that?? Stars above, what is going on with me??
She silenced her thoughts in case they had gotten out aloud again as she heard footsteps approaching her tree.

Without a word, and ignoring the lack of tent and campfire, Greg set up his bedroll a few feet from the hammock and curled up under a blanket, unwilling to sleep so far away from her. If she had to be cold and uncomfortable because of what he'd done, he would be cold and uncomfortable with her. He lay awake for some time, hoping that when morning came, she wouldn't suggest parting ways.

When the sunlight began to filter through the trees of the forest, it was already past sunrise and into the morning. Karyyk stretched, knocking the bowl of fish bones onto the ground below her. It fell with a clang, hitting a couple of branches on the way down to the forest floor.
"Oops..."
She leaned over the side of her hammock to see the overturned bowl with a spray of fish bones around it... and on the other side of the branches that the bowl had tumbled down, outside of the spray zone for the bones (thankfully) was Greg. He looked anything but comfortable, sprawled out on his bedroll on the lumpy ground. Guilt washed over her as she recalled the events of the previous night. Flutters rose in her stomach, an unfamiliar experience.
Swinging out of the hammock and onto the thick tree limb nearby, she packed up her quilt and bed and descended the tree, retrieving her bowl at the bottom. Quietly, she moved into the campsite and began to pack everything, including Greg's stuff, into their respective bags. She took advantage of the alone time to think in private.
This whole me not knowing what to do and freezing up thing can't keep happening. It only hurts us both, especially him -- I just become a mess and run away, and that's the last thing I want to do in any situation. So, I need to decide. What did he say, something about going headfirst or being bold or... something. Ugh, I really was NOT paying attention to anything. Way to go. But I need to do something... I want to make up for what happened last night.
As she packed the last of their things from around the campsite, including the smoked trout, she stood up and stretched. Greg was (somehow) still asleep under the pine tree. I guess the evening wore him out, too. Her mouth quirked downward in a sympathetic half-frown. Quietly, Karyyk walked over and kneeled beside where he slept, sinking back to sit on her heels. His hair was all a mess. She brushed his wayward locks out of his face, the sad smile she wore on her face conveying a more deep apology than any words could possibly convey. She sighed.

Greg's eyes opened slowly. He made a small groaning noise, then quieted when he felt her fingers brushing the hair from his face. The previous night came rushing back to him. Did this mean... "Karyyk..." He reached up, cupping her cheek gently in his hand. "Don't go."

She reached her own hand up to cover his and she closed her eyes. Her other hand still rested beside his head, twined in his messy hair. She slid it gently under his head as she leaned over and kissed him on the forehead.
"I said I would take some time," she told him, her voice soft like the morning breeze, "but I will be around for many years, and time is all we have." A very tiny timid smile tugged at one corner of her mouth. "I've moved slowly and at my own pace for many years, making decisions in my own time. I think, now, I may need to get used to working in tandem with another person's schedule -- quickly."
She shifted her body to lie beside him and wrapped him in her arms, embracing him in a hug that was filled with the lost passion and joys and sadness of forty-some years. The last hug she had ever shared out of any kind of strong love was the hug she gave her father as he lay dying in their home. With this present embrace, the memories flooded back and tears sprung to her eyes, burning like a sweet fire. She hugged the little man closer and let the tears roll down her cheeks.

Greg returned the gesture, hugging her with surprising strength, as though he would never let go. When Karyyk started crying, he tilted his head to kiss the tears from her cheeks. "I shouldn't have pushed you. I knew better, but I did it anyway. You're so beautiful and I just had to taste your lips. I had to show you that I wasn't lying. I needed you to know that I really do want you." His arms tightened a little more and he pressed his lightly-stubbled cheek to her wet one. I'll take good care of her, Helman. I promise.

Karyyk didn't move for a long while. She just wanted to melt right there and then, but they had place to go, mountains to pass, people to find, and strange lands to see. Eventually, she broke off the hug and wiped away her tears.
"Everything is-" she cleared her throat, "everything is packed up except what you're sleeping on and my armor. Once those things are addressed, we can head on out." She got to her feet and stood there, rubbing the back of her head and neck, looking around the area as she tried to find something to say. She realized her braid was mostly undone and that her hair tie had gone missing. She walked over to search under the tree where she had been sleeping, her hair constantly falling in her face.
"Did you, uh, sleep well?" she asked, holding her hair back in one long wavy ponytail with one hand.

"I said I would be honest. No, I slept awfully. You know... there is a benefit to our height difference. He moved in front of her, leaning in to place a small peck on her throat, but as he pulled away, he winced and gasped, grabbing the side of his neck. "Fuck." He paused, then looked a little abashed. "Fie. I don't suppose you've had any experience working out kinks with those strong hands."

Stopping her search, she shot a slow glance his way, holding in a snicker. She hadn't heard him swear before. It sounded odd coming out of someone who had previously been so prim and proper about his language. Karyyk rolled her eyes and gestured with her index finger. "Turn around, you oaf."
Jiol frequently had achy shoulders from working in the forge all day, so she was no newcomer to the world of giving massages. She worked her fingers in deep, smooth circles, pressing hard and then lifting off pressure. When she worked her way up to his neck, she flattened her hands and held her palms to the sides of his neck. She closed her eyes and steadied her breathing. Slow, deep inhales and exhales became a smooth rhythm as her hands began to heat up. A warm radiance flowed from her palms.
She had frequently sat and meditated to heal herself, but she had never thought to try it on someone else. Part of her hated herself for not thinking of it to try to keep her father with her for longer, but she supposed that wasn't her place. Instead of dwelling on what maybe could have been, she returned her focus to the now. After less than a minute, she let her hands slide back over his shoulders before dropping back to her side.

Greg made several noises throughout, some pained, others relieved. When her hands warmed, he sighed with pleasure. When she was done, he turned to regard her curiously. "Was that your talent? It felt very nice."

Karyyk looked at her hands. "Honestly," she said, "I don't have a clue. I always thought my talent was strength or swordplay or something, but maybe that's just my size...? I just figured out this healing stuff as I went along. Maybe that is my talent...?"

"What if we have more than one talent?" He sounded intrigued and a bit excited. "Hold on..." He moved his shoulders experimentally, then suddenly stripped off his shirt, looking down his broad chest at what was certainly a very toned abdomen, and running his finger over an area near his navel. "Huh. Scar's gone! Hey, thank you, Karyyk." He stood on his toes and kissed her cheek.

She blinked and stared with wide eyes.
But...
"Are you sure there was a scar...?" she asked in disbelief, pointing where he had been looking. "Maybe it was dirt or the lighting or... or something..."
The thought had crossed her mind briefly before, but she never paid the passing thought much mind to the thought that her skin was flawless and scar-free. She pulled her own shirt out from her body to peer down the collar and she rolled up the sleeves to check her arms.
"Stars above..." she muttered. "I don't have any scars. None. I've been cut to the bone twice in two different places. No scars. And I've never gotten sick, now that I think about it, not since I started meditating like that, and--"
Karyyk redirected her gaze to look at Greg. She hadn't realized his shirt had been completely removed. Instantly, her face took on a rosy hue, growing hotter by the second. She looked away, but her mind was already going places on its own.
He's fifty and he looks like that... more than just his face... I mean, I do too, but... she snuck another glance back before ripping her stare away once more. Get a hold of yourself! Woman, you're not going to get anywhere if you keep this up. We decided to take it a little faster, not get carried away... You're not even listening... Her internal quarrel between modesty and curiosity raged on.

Greg didn't miss a beat, giving her a decidedly devilish grin and speaking in a low rumble. "You'd better remove your shirt, as well, just to be sure. For the sake of knowledge, you understand. A necessary sacrifice in our ongoing quest to understand ourselves and each other."
He gave Karyyk a theatrical sage nod, barely containing his mirth.

Her internal dialogue rose to a scream. DON'T YOU DARE. KARYYK GWAR, YOU WILL NOT... No... She took a step toward Greg and walked him rapidly back toward the trunk of the pine tree. With one arm extended, she created a barrier between him and escape. Woman, you make no sense!
"Sometimes, things might be better the less sense they make... right?"
Before he had time to answer, she leaned in and initiated a deep, passionate kiss.

A surprised MNPH escaped him when she put her mouth to his, but his eyes closed, then opened again, half-lidded. His arms wrapped around her, holding her tightly as his mouth sealed on hers and his tongue parted her lips, eagerly exploring her mouth. The arms around her loosened and Karyyk could feel his hands running over her, exploring the curves he'd so vocally admired. He slid them up under her shirt, running his nails lightly up and down her back as he groaned against her lips.

Her whole body responded as she arched her back, parting their lips as she let out a deep, loud moan. When her eyes returned to him, they were full of a hunger previously unknown to any part of her. She smiled fiendishly as she picked him up and carried him over to where he had slept, swinging him down to the forest floor, letting her body follow after.

Greg delighted in Karyyk's eagerness, and with all the aplomb of a good teacher, spent however log they both had the energy for it taking his beloved Karyyk all the way to school and back.

--- Fade to Black ---

As they packed up the few remaining items that had been left out of the bag, Karyyk was relatively quiet. Her face had remained a relatively steady shade of scarlet since the two had finished their romp, but her eyes and face suggested she was far more focused on the plan ahead.
Her silence wasn't malicious, but more timid. Once the flood of endorphins and the excitement of the moment had passed, she had become reserved and moved with small, stiff motions. She said very little, but she kept herself busy.
Once things had been mostly packed up and Greg was working on the last of that matter, Karyyk resumed her search for her hair tie, picking pine needles out of her long blonde tresses as she did.

Greg, it seemed, was having none of this timidity, and would occasionally throw an arm around her for a quick nuzzle as he passed, helping her look for the hair tie. "Could you use something else for your braid, or is there something special about that one?" He walked and moved more smoothly, and smiled whenever he looked her way. Something about his voice had changed, as well. When he addressed her, it was in a relaxed and easy tone. Overall it seemed like a tenseness that hadn't been evident before was now absent.

In a bit of a trance, Greg's words caught her off guard. "Huh?" she blurted before continuing, "Oh... no, I just wanted to find this one. I just like it, I guess." It was just a strip of fabric, but looking for it kept her mind off of the awkwardness she felt. "I should be ready in a little bit." She had already found the fabric, she just hadn't picked it up yet. It was over by the tree trunk, draped over a pinecone. Brown fabric was easily-enough camouflaged against the dirt. Greg seemed to be getting a little antsy, so after stalling for a few more minutes, she walked over and picked up the strip of linen. "Ah, here it is," she said, her tone withdrawn, and she went about fixing her hair in its usual braid.
"Where to from here? How far til we reach the pass?" she tried to make conversation about the journey. Maybe if I move on from the awkwardness of everything and find a new topic, talking about that will snap me out of whatever this weird state of childish embarrassment is. I'm sixty years old for star's sake. There's no reason to feel so abashed about something so... well, natural, I guess.

"More or less directly North. So... why do you seem so distant? That is, you gave me every indication that you were enjoying yourself. Did I do something to upset you, Karyyk?"

She shook her head. "No, I'm just... Well, it's kind of a new thing for me, and well..." The rest of the sentence came out in one waterfall of words: "If after sixty years someone finally finds you worth their attention and affections and you let your guard down for the first time in about forty years and by the time things make it to the final stage, you don't realize how much you're acting on impulse and everything just--" she gasped for a breath of air, "--it just kind of hits you like a wall when it all finally sinks in."

He paused to think for a moment, then wrapped his arms around her in a gentle hug. "Is there anything I might do to help?" Greg nuzzled her shoulder.

"Space until I come around probably wouldn't be bad. I don't like to be crowded. Ask Helman next time you see him, he'll tell you that for sure," she snickered briefly, "broke lots of faces out of sheer reflex that way." Her smile quickly faded back into her reserved neutral expression. "But yes, space. We should get moving."

"Oh. Apologies. I get handsy when I'm feeling affectionate." He took a large dramatic step back from her, then examined the space between them as though measuring it, then took another tiny step back and nodded, grinning up at her and turning North with a confident gait. "Do you.... wish to discuss it now, or shall we discourse on other things, milady?"

"Other things, if you please." She watched his theatrics. "You're awful playful for your age, don't you think?"

"Well, I already went through my grumpy old man phase. Nothing wrong with being playful, especially with..." He smiled up at her. "Especially with people you care about."
I've done it now. She's going to think I'm being silly or that I'm lying. Well, we'll see.

Why would you be so playful when the world around you fears you. How can you be so playful?
"The way I see it, the more I keep to myself, the less likely I am to get hurt."

"Well, it's not really an option anymore. I'm very unlikely to let you slink off by yourself. I promised I'd stick around, and that includes if and when you run off for whatever reason. If nothing more, I am at the very least your friend, now, and I don't accept refunds from brooding plainswomen." He gave her a broad smile, then did a little hop skip that looked like a practiced dance step.

Karyyk snorted. She had to give the man credit, he certainly was entertaining. "Alright, but if I do ask for some space, I would hope you'd respect that as I would for you," she gently implored as she picked up her belongings, shrugging them onto her back.

"Right-o. I'm not about to deny you solitude. You've had sixty years of it. I doubt constantly standing in your space and chattering at you is the best way to cheer you or make myself agreeable company." He pulled out a long wooden pipe and a pouch of fragrant brown leaves. "Do you smoke?"

Quirking an eyebrow and turning up her nose, Karyyk answered with disgust. "No, I saw plenty of things being smoked in Wisp. That was enough of an experience for me. The only poison I'll put in my body is good drink, and that's on rare enough occasion as is."

"Suit yourself." Gregory shrugged and packed the bowl before pulling out a thick wooden match and striking it on the side of the pipe. Flame errupted from the stick and he held above the bowl, drawing the flame downward with short puffs. He shook the match out and tossed it aside, trailing pleasantly fragrant smoke as he walked beside Karyyk.

"If you're such an educated man, why do you smoke that stuff? You know it's bad for you, yet you do it anyway. That baffles me." She batted aside small tree branches as she spoke, her head above his trail of smoke.

"Are you joking, Karyyk? I doubt smoking this could actually cause harm to either of us. Think about it." He tapped his temple and puffed again, enjoying the walk and her company.

"I suppose so..."
They walked in relative silence for most of the day, making small talk here and there. Eventually, as the sun was beginning to drop low on the horizon, the ground began to slope upward at a steep and noticably difficult level.
"Does this mean we're close?" she asked.

"Because we had sex?" He thought for a long moment. "No, that by itself doesn't mean we're close. I'm eager for us to grow close, though. Whether it's as friends, or lovers, we'll only see by spending time together, but I'm looking forward to that time in your company and to discovering who you are." Another pause. "We aren't close yet, but we're getting there. We've certainly made a commitment to one another, and what we shared was very meaningful to me."

Karyyk stopped in her tracks and just stared at Greg. She was silent for a good while.
"I meant to the tunnel, Greg..." Her cheeks flushed pink as she spoke.

"Oh!" He smiled brightly. "Yes."

"How much further?" The large woman shuddered, "and do you plan on having us sleep in the caves or out in the forest again?"

"An hour? Probably best we sleep in the cavern, but not too far from the entrance. What do you think? You have more experience with outdoor living than I do."

Continuing to walk, Karyyk shook her head. "I've got experience with wandering the forests and plains, sure, but I don't really do caves. There is one exception, and I wouldn't call it a cave as much as a crater, but even that, I generally just observe from a distance. I... I really am not terribly fond of dark cramped spaces. I mean, when you're my size, it doesn't take much to feel confined."

"Don't worry. I'll be with you the whole time. As I said, there's no way I'm leaving those tunnels without you." He stepped in next to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Does that help?"

"Not really," she said flatly. "Can you pull me out of a crevasse if I get stuck? Or can you promise me that rats won't crawl over me as I sleep?" As she spoke, she grew more and more exasperated. "How long will it be til I see sunlight again? What if the cave collapses? What if we run out of air? What if we get lost? What if we die and nobody find our--"

Greg went up on his toes, threw his arms around Karyyk's neck, and cut off her ramblings with a deep kiss. He pulled back after a moment. "If you die in there, I'll be going with you. I'm not leaving that place without you."

Karyyk pushed him away. "You don't seem to get it, do you?" she snapped. "I like small spaces even less than I like you climbing all over me. Does 'I need some space' mean something different where you're from? Do I need to show you?" She stormed off through the trees. "For someone who claims to understand language so well, you suck pretty badly at understanding people," she shouted into the woods, not looking back to face him.

"I hadn't come anywhere near you since we left camp in the woods," he protested. "I'm going to head into the mouth of the cave and set up. When you're done with whatever it is you're doing, we can have a real discussion." Greg headed off in the direction of the tunnel and started taking out his kit.

She stormed off into the woods. A few momets later, Greg would hear her let out a frustrated shout, a sound which would be shortly followed by the crashing and crackling of a small tree falling. Echoes of more branches snapping, presumably off of the same tree folowed.

Gregory left her to her own devices, setting up camp, starting a fire, and gathering bundles of kindling. So infuriating! Doesn't she understand? When you've just been with somebody, you're SUPPOSED to be unusually affectionate! Then again... she's never had a physical relationship before. He sighed, calming himself. I'm being unfair by expecting her to know things that I take for granted. Should I go get her? She said she needed her space. Best to let her simmer down.

From somewhere else in the forest, the sound of another tree falling rang out.
At the scene of the crime, Karyyk unwrapped her arms from around the trunk of a tree and took an axe out of her pack. In no time, she had cut the tree into logs and added them to the tarp with the kindling gathered from the first tree, which had been dead when she came up on it and decided to kick it down. Driven by her frustration, fear, and anger, she tied the corners of the tarp together and hoisted it over her shoulder and walked it back to camp
When she came upon the site Greg had staked out, she threw the tarp full of logs into the center of the small clearing. "Here's your stupid firewood," she spat before turning and walking away again.

Greg watched her go without comment, returning to his task.

On her walk over to the campsite, she had passed an outcropping of rocks that intruded upon the forest. She returned to that spot and climbed up until she reached a plateau, about twenty feet up. She sat down and looked around. Most of the view out was simply more trees, but when she walked back on the ledge a bit, she saw another outcropping up about twenty-five more feet. She situated herself on the vertical surface and climbed up one more level.
She sat at the top and looked out, now over the top of a majority of the trees. Loose rocks peppered the ledge on qhich she sat. Karyyk picked one of them up and chucked it as far as she could into the woods. It landed somewhere out of sight with a hollow smack. From where she sat, the sun still shone warmly. She stripped off her armor and threw it down to the ledge below, aiming to the side of it, for the forest floor. She sprawled out on the rocks and sighed deeply, slowly undoing the buttons on her shirt to give the sun more skin to warm before night fell.

Is she really not coming back tonight? Greg hurumphed incredulously and pulled out his padding and bedroll, laying them down in the tent.

She didn't remember closing her eys, but when she opened them again, the sky was dark, the moon was out, and the air was cold. Karyyk sat up and buttoned her shirt. Her pack was where she had left it, and she swung it over her shoulders. Carefully, she began the descent down the first wall.
No more than two steps down, the stone beneath her left foot gave way and she slipped. Dragging her hands along the wall as she tried to find a hold before she hit the next level, Karyyk gathered a collection of painful cuts and scrapes along her palms, though the scrabbling did slow her descent enough that the landing didn't hurt too badly. Now, in the partial shade from the moonlight, she looked down at her palms. Blood, dark upon her light skin, oozed out. She sat among the rubble for a moment, stunned. She looked up at the wall and saw faint shimmering trails, presumably where she had wiped her palms along as she slid. Looking back to her hands, she opened and closed her palms, wincing.
Between the new pain of her beat-up hands and the weariness from expending so much energy and willpower taking apart those trees, Karyyk blinked slowly as she began the descent down the second rock face.
She kept her eyes down, watching her feet as best as she could in the dark, until she felt dirt beneath her feet. She looked back up at the wall and noticed tracks where her bleeding hands had been. They were shimmering. How odd. I wonder why they're doing that... she thought to herself, blinded with pain and half asleep. She pushed the thoughts aside as she gathered up her armor and wandered back to the campsite.
The fire had burnt down to a small fire, flames still licking up occasionally and its warmth still noticeable. She looked around, He's probably long since fallen asleep... she figured, setting her stuff down quietly. By now, Karyyk's hands had begun to scab and moving them caused her almost as much pain as forming them had. There wasn't much hesitation in her decision to abandon her bedroll for the night and just crawl into the tent and sleep on the ground. She proceeded to do so.

From behind her, Greg's voice, sounding sadder than she'd ever heard him (given their short acquaintence), croaked quietly. "So you came back." There was audible relief in the words, as quiet and troubled as they were, but Greg kept his hands to himself. He fell silent, waiting.

Hearing his voice beside her, Karyyk moved closer to him to lie so that she was curled around her aching hands with her head resting on his chest, so they faced each other. She let out a small whimper and an "I'm sorry" before closing her eyes and shuddering with exhaustion. She took a few deep breaths and tried to focus on making the pain in her hands go away, but she was too tired.

Greg sighed and stroked her hair., kissing her forehead before reaching down between them to take her hand.

Karyyk winced and let out a small yelp of pain, but she did not draw her hand back. His body was so warm compared to hers, and she took solace in that small comfort.

Greg heard the yelp and felt the wetness on his hand, then pulled back his hand to look at it in the faint firelight. Upon seeing the blood, he immeditely sat bolt upright, turning her hand over in his to look at her palms. "Gods above, Karyyk. What happened?!" He sounded pained and the worry in his voice redoubled.

His sudden motion threw her off balance. Taking one hand from his grasp, she managed to catch herself from falling, though the pain that resulted was like sticking her hand into hot coals. She could feel each scab pop as she opened her palm and she yelped in pain.
"A rock face I was climbing," she panted, her heart racing and her bloodstream filling with adrenaline, "the rock slipped from under my foot and I fell." She held her breath and let it out slowly, with force. "I'm fine. I just cut up my hands badly and I don't have the energy left to do much about it on the spot."

"I shouldn't have left you out there by yourself, Karyyk. I'm sorry." He wrapped his arms around her, sounding mournful. "I'm not very good at this, Karyyk. I was upset. I should have come looking for you." As he held her tightly, rocking her in his arms, Karyyk felt warmth spreading into her, radiating from his hands. He seemed oblivious to it, however, still holding her and apologizing.

Had she been any more conscious than she currently was, she would have made note of the particular source of the warmth and the tingling sensation that came with it. Instead, the warmth was what she needed to lull her into a deep sleep for the rest of the night.

Greg, emotionally and, unbeknownst to him, magically drained, fell asleep holding Karyyk. He nuzzled in close to her, his head resting on her arm. When he finally opened his eyes again, he shook Karyyk gently, trying to wake her. "Karyyk?"

She made a sound of protest, furrowing her brow but not opening her eyes. Curling up into an even smaller ball, she tried to fall back asleep.

He shook her a little harder. "Karyyk!"

A startled snort was shaken out of the large blonde woman as her eyes flew open wide and then settled back to barely-open slivers. "H-what...?" She spread out, stretching her arms and legs, every part of her just the slightest bit achy, though not nearly as much as they should have been, considering her endeavors the evening before.

He relaxed when she responded. "Oh. You're all right." He settled back in against her, pressing in close. "Do you feel any better?"

"Yeah, I'm okay-ish... Just exhausted." She snuggled up against him and began to fall back asleep.

"Mn. Just making sure." Greg pecked her on the cheek and dozed off.

When Karyyk opened her eyes next, the sunlight filtering in through the trees came from a bright midmorning sun. Her body felt normal again, and when she looked at her hands, the cuts were almost completely gone. She looked to Greg and smiled.
She gave him a nudge on the shoulder. "Greg... Greg, wake up."

Greg mumbled and opened his eyes, smiling like the sun had just come up for him when he saw her face. His arms already surrounding her, he nuzzled her cheek with his and gave a pleased sigh. "You smell so feminine." He muttered and started to doze a little.

"Ha! Me? I'm about as far from feiminine as you can get," she scoffed, playfully. She shook her shoulders with a smile. "Get up, otherwise we'll never get anywhere. We have to--" she stopped short, "on second thought, doze all you want. I'm in no hurry."

"Ngh. You're not? Hnngood." He nuzzled a bit more, then nibbled on her earlobe with a quiet growl. Weren't we arguing about something? Oh well.

Karyyk wrapped her arms around him and held him close. The longer we stay cuddled up in this tent, the longer it will be before I have to start crawling through a cave... she thought, Even if that does mean I have to go heavy on the affection. It's better than being trapped or squished between to tons of rock... And, I guess... she sighed as she rested her forehead against his, this really isn't so bad after all.

Feeling her pull him closer, Greg's ardor cooled a bit. He relaxed into the embrace and simply enjoyed the moment, watching her eyes. "Karyyk?"

She looked to him, taking in his spectacular gaze. "Hmm?"

"How are your hands? Did you heal at all overnight?" He stroked her cheek with his thumb.

She held one up so he could see. "Mostly, though there's still a bit to be done. If I can meditate tonight, it should be better by morning. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought it had been." For a moment, her mind flitted back to the thought of the glimmering trails on the rock face. Surely, she was misremembering that. It made no sense. Karyyk shrugged off the thought.

He sighed quietly. "What are we going to do? I don't know of any other way across these mountains." He rested his head on her shoulder.

Her eyes suddenly alighted with a twinkle. "You mean we don't have to go through the tunnels?"

"Well, not if you can think of another way across, no. I don't see any other options, though. I just hate what your anxiety is doing to you." He gave her a squeeze.

Afraid to admit that there was no other way across, Karyyk chose to remain silent for a while. Eventually she confessed the fact and resigned to the inevitable. "I'll... Well, I guess I'll just pack my armor and hope for the best, right?"

"No, I'm just trying to think about the problem. We definitely have to go through the tunnel. Thing is, we'll definitely be just fine as long as you can remain calm during the trip. I know it's unpleasant, but do you think you can manage it? There are some large caverns along the way where you won't feel so closed in. We can rest in those."

Karyyk was hesitant. She trusted him more now than she did a couple of nights ago, and if there were caverns along the way, maybe it would be okay...
"How wide are the narrowest passages and how tall are these shafts? If they were used for mining, I imagine they're easy enough to walk through... right? No cave-ins or long tight crawl spaces?"

"There were a few cave-ins that I had to dig through, but we can just stop to widen those. Other than that, even the narrowest areas should be an easy squeeze and aren't very long."

"And... and cave-ins?" She held back her reasoning for her trepidation, trying to force down her childhood fear.

"It's fine, Dear. We only need to do a little digging to widen the path. It will take us a few extra hours at most." He smiled reassuring.

"If you say so...." Karyyk squeezed him tightly and stood up. "I guess we should get packing and get on the move." If I can keep my mind off of what happened to Ydris, maybe I'll be okay...

"Ngh. Can't we just stay in bed for a few more years? You're comfortable." He reluctantly rolled to his feet and started packing things. "How are you feeling now, Karyyk? Should we head out now, then?" Please don't panic in the tunnels. Please don't panic in the tunnels. Please don't pan--

She shook her head vigorously, "no, we really should go before I think about it any more. If I don't think about it too much, I should be okay, and I'd rather go before we lose any more hours of daylight." She got up and started packing her armor into her bag.

"Well, it won't really matter if it's daytime or not. We're going to be using firelight for the next few days, unless you've discovered some sort of magical illumination we can do?"

Karyyk stopped what she was doing and crouched there before her backpack, looking as if she'd been frozen mid-statement.
"Actually," she said after a moment, "I noticed something odd while I was out last night. I didn't really know what to make of it: My blood trails on the rocks kind of glittered. I'm not sure why..."

"... I'm not really willing to cut you open just to avoid using a torch, Kar."

"No, no, I mean I wonder if there's another way to trigger it..." She finished packing the last things into her bag and started taking down the tent. "I just found it curious. Lots of things I've found quite curious, but I didn't really say anything."

"Well, you should probably tell me when you think of them, since... I might be able to do those things, as well." He chuckled, giving her a sly grin.

"Most of the things I find curious are the things you say or do, but there are too many of those to possibly comment on." She finished rolling up the tent and snatched the blanket off of Greg. "Come on. Up you go now."

"Yes, ma'am." Greg began the process of getting his kit together. "Say, Kary. May I ask you something? I think it's important I find out before we proceed."

"Sure, why not."

"Why did you push me away yesterday? I want to avoid upsetting you like that again, if I can, but... I'd rather not keep my distance, either."

"If I'm visibly angry and you want to show affection, be small about it. Starting small with affections in general is probably a good way to go, at least until I reciprocate it, and then you can go a bit bigger... I guess." She'd never had to explain something like this before.

"Wow," Karyyk said, staring into the cave, her voice echoing off the stony walls. "The light dies off pretty quickly, doesn't it...?"

"It does, but your eyes will adjust. We should be fine for a while, then we can talk over the light situation. If you're worried about getting lost, you can just hold my hand." There was a playful tone in his voice.

Without hesitation, she reached out and took his hand. "The last thing I want is to get lost in here." She squinted into the blackness ahead. "Will it be easy to get lost? Are you sure you know where you're going?"

"It would be almost impossible to get lost. I wanted you to hold my hand." He gave her hand a squeeze and lifted her hand to his lips.

Not letting go with her right hand, she pushed against his chest with her left, jokingly swatting him away. "Well, you're lucky I don't like caves." The light from the outside was almost completely gone. "How long will we be in here?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?"

She shuddered. "I suppose?"

"I told you. About a week."

"I thought that was total, including getting here!" Her voice echoed through the chambers.

"What did the twisted up string say after he'd ruffled his hair, Karyyk?"

Though he couldn't see her face, it was twisted in confusion. "What??"

"I'm a frayed knot."

Karyyk was silent. "Your sense of humor is most peculiar."

"Then you must be quite peculiar for fancying me."

She shrugged, "I suppose I am. I've followed a man I just met into the woods, did things I've never done, and then followed him further into a dark cave system to a land that may or may not exist because I've gotten tired of living the same lonely life."

"Well, you're an adventuress, now, aren't you?" His hand played lightly in hers. "We're both adventure-seeking travelers with mysterious abilities, possessed of skill, strength of character, and a curious nature. We're on a quest for knowledge of not only our own natures and origins, but of the world we live in. Ready?!" She could hear the smirk in his voice.

As the cave grew darker with each step, her confidence began to waver. "I mean, I suppose? But it's not like I've got much choice in the matter, now do I?"

"Nothing worth doing was ever easy." He leaned in and kissed her cheek.

Karyyk sighed, "I suppose you're right..."
They walked in silence for a time before she spoke up again. "Do you have any idea why things might have glowed last night? I've never seen it happen before, and I know I've bled in the moonlight in the past. I've never noticed a glow like that. What if it's the rocks?"
She brushed a hand along the cave wall. Nothing happened. She let go of Greg's hand and reached into one of the pockets of her bag and produced a rock she had gathered from the wall last night and held it in her hand.

Greg, unaware of why she removed her hand from his, slid to her side, putting an arm around her and trying to see what she was doing. "I haven't the slightest idea, Kary. My blood has never glowed before." By this time their eyes had adjusted as much as they could, meaning the darkness around them was pitch, entirely devoid of light from the outside.

Though Greg couldn't see it, she shook her head. "I don't think it was the blood, I think it might be something in the rocks..." She inspected the rock she held in her hands, "I just don't know why. ...Maybe something to do with my blood? I don't know..."

"Perhaps if you concentrate on the rocks the way you do when you use your healing..."

"But... You can't heal a rock, Greg. It's not the same thing...?"

"Just try. Focus your energy on the rock." He hurumphed. "So contrarian," in a good-natured grumble.

"This is so dumb..." Karyyk muttered as she linked arms with Greg and closed her eyes, enfolding the rock in her hands. She took a few deep, balancing breaths and imagined warmth and energy moving from her to the rock. After a moment, she spoke, keeping her eyes closed, but separating her palms a bit so the rock was visible to Greg. "I don't feel anything happening, I'm just getting a little headache," she said, continuing to focus the rest of her attention on the thought of a gently glittering stone, like she had seen last night.

Greg feigned shielding his eyes. "Oh my goodness! It's so bright! Look at it!" In reality, the stone only showed a faint glimmer, enough to light their way without hindering their night vision.

Karyyk opened her eyes with a deep sigh. Sure enough, the stone glittered as it had the night before. She had stopped putting energy into it, yet it continued to glow. As they walked on, the light didn't fade.
"I wonder if it picks up on residual magical energy or something. Yesterday, well, I didn't chop down those trees. That was why I was so exhausted, small trees as they may have been. I could have likely missed the glow of the rocks on the way up."

"True. This level of illumination would be invisible in the daylight. Still, it's a good thing you grabbed these rocks and brought them, isn't it? I wish I could channel my energy like you do."
He brightened, but not literally like the rock. "Oi! In Angrah, there are many old devices, like clock towers and street lamps that are powered by magical crystals. Perhaps this stone is related, somehow."

The bauble of light wavered excitedly in the dark. "I think it is! I've seen this glow before, now that I think about it! There's a village far to the east and up by the mountains called Keno. The buildings there glitter like this at night! I don't know how they power them -- I never thought about it and I only ever visited there once." She paused to think harder, trying to jog her memory. "Maybe... Okay, follow me closely here: Several towns have mill wheels. Most of them are just used to grind flour or whatnot, but the ones in Keno seemed to be turning something else that made lights turn on. I don't know how it works, but it made energy from the water." She paused to let Greg catch up to her train of thought. "Okay, now when I focus on magic, it makes me tired -- it uses my energy, right? What if the energy it takes to power magic and the energy it takes to light a bulb are similar enough that they could both work to make the stones glow?"
Karyyk paused again and mused for a moment. "You know, I remember hearing once, maybe twice, that a long, long time ago, Keno used to be some sort of central place that all other villages and towns were connected to. The routes I traveled from place to place seemed to suggest that they were connected at one point. What if everywhere used to have this energy and what if everything was once connected in one big... super-town, thing... A city? Is that what a city is?"
She let out a deep exhale. "I wonder what happened..."

"I don't know about this ancient city of yours, but that business with the crystals sounds more than likely. It sounds plausible. We can perhaps look into it more when we reach Angrah. For now, I'm just grateful for a glow rock. Relying on torches for a week is no fun, let me tell you." Greg gave her a reassuring pat on the back.

As they walked on the crystal slowly faded to a useless dimness after about an hour of walking, or so Karyyk guessed. "How do we know what time it is if we can't see the sun? And how do we know which way is out?" Her heart leapt and began racing, "Does anything live in here? Are there branching tunnels? Do the rocks creak? What about cave-" she let out a small yelp as she knocked her head against a low-hanging rock.

Greg winced at the sound and pulled her in, doing his best to check her head for injuries in the dim light. "Let me see. Are you all right?"

She rubbed her head where it had met the stone, checking her hand for blood. It came away clean. "Yeah, I'm fine, I just wasn't expecting that."

"It's time to go to sleep when we're tired. The way out is the opposite of the way we came. There are one or two branches, but they are off of large caverns and are to be ignored for our purposes. No, the rocks do not creak. Mostly, they drip. I dug through a pair of cave-ins to get through. We can simply widen the holes for you, dear."

"What if we get turned around," Karyyk asked, her voice tight and her fists growing tighter.

"We'll look for impact craters on the stalactites and we'll know you've been through." He nudges her playfully and lifts her hand to his lips.

Her initial instinct was to get defensive, but Karyyk caught herself before she could act on the impulse. You promised to hold yourself together. It's more open in here than you thought it would be, you have a source of light, and you're going to be fine.
Instead of getting upset, she cupped her hands around the stone again and let her energy that would have been frustration flow into the piece of rock.
Once it had started glowing more brightly again and her vexation had passed, she finally decided to speak:
"If I have to keep powering this glowing stone, won't I likely tire faster? Do you know where the next cavern is?"
Her faith in his navigational skills was questionable at best, though he had yet to lead them astray. She wasn't entirely sure what it was they were going to see on the other side of the mountains. More villages? Nothingness? No, he had said something about a city...
"What's out there, on the other side of the tunnels?" she inquired.

Greg stroked her back in what he hoped was a soothing manner and answered her questions in a reassuring tone. "I don't know if you'll tire faster. If you do, we shall simply have to take more frequent breaks. The next cavern is about two days' journey from the mouth of the cave, so about a day and a half, now."

Karyyk let out a long groan.

"On the other side of the tunnels is wilderness, then towns, the Angrah City. On the other side of those tunnels are friends and adventure, and a distinct lack of xenophobic imbeciles. On the other side of those tunnels is the face of true civilization. You'll see. I'm eager to show you, Kary."

"What if the friends don't like me?" she asked, completely missing the comment about xenophobes. "What if I don't fit in? I am very tall after all."

"Most of our doorways are as accommodating as the people. My friends will like you just fine, though we may wish to attire you a bit differently for when you're, 'in town' to avoid the shock of a leather-clad armored woman in the middle of the city."

Karyyk's disposition brightened a bit.
"Once, when I was younger -- when I was in Keno, actually -- I met a young man and we hit it off. He was from a wealthy old-blood family in the town, and he invited me to a sort of gala-type event with food and music and dancing and romance..." she trailed off in reminiscent thought before snapping back to reality a moment later. "Anyway, for this gala, he had this gorgeous gown tailored for me. It was the most beautiful piece of clothing I had ever worn. When it came time for me to leave, he insisted I take it with me. I told him that I had no place I could possibly wear it outside of that town, so he had it made into a sash for me. I still keep it with me when I travel. It's a sort of comfort item, I suppose you could say." She beamed with the fond memory of her past adventures. "I wouldn't mind wearing something made of soft fabrics again. The closest I get are the cloths woven for me by Saffa, though even those were coarse as hair by comparison."

"In my fifty years, I've managed to put aside a modest, well, fortune. Fortune may be exaggerating." He paused, thinking. "We won't be uncomfortable while we're in the city. That much I can promise you. You shall have, my dear, at least three gowns of whatever fabric you fancy, and I'll not hear a word of protest on the topic."

Her face flushed. Was he doting on her? It felt like doting. She'd never experienced that before. I thought only the pretty young maidens got that sort of attention...
"Really?" she managed to gasp, pushing her fluttering thoughts aside. "I mean, judging by the garments you arrived in, I can only imagine how many wonderful colors and varieties must exist where you're from. More than I can imagine, I suppose." Karyyk bit her tongue, resisting the urge to ramble on further in her sudden excitement.

"That is what is on the other side of the tunnel, Karyyk. Dresses. So many dresses. And matching shoes." He grinned wickedly.

She snorted, "But where would I wear these dresses? What does one wear when they are not going to a gala? What do people, well, do? Are there trades like in Parth -- barkeeps, blacksmiths, and the likes?"

"Do you want me to tell you now to keep your mind occupied? I think I can get you through a decent primer on Angrah City before we emerge."

"Please, do!" she exclaimed with enthusiasm. "I want to know about this place. This trip is like taking an adventure into a tale of wonder and fantasy. I can barely believe it -- I may not truly until I see it, but hearing about it does keep my mind off of what might be in these tunnels or... well, anything to do with these tunnels, really."

"Well, you've never seen a city before, so I suppose I should begin there. Imagine a large town, then surround it with other towns of the same size. Now, that central town has been around the longest. It has the most industry, the most tradespeople, the most shops. As a result, there are people who live in these surrounding towns, but work and trade in the first town at the center." He gesticulates as he continues.
"Over time, that first town builds more, until the shops and taverns are crowded together, flanking the streets. Now, these streets see a lot of traffic from carriages and feet, and we can't have dust flying everywhere, so we make roads using stones that fit together, like a wall on the ground. All the streets are like this."
The main town becomes so important and so full of commerce and activity that it needs to accommodate people all day and night. Then you have the need for street lamps, magical crystals perched atop pillars of metal and encased in glass."
"NOW, imagine that the same thing gradually happened to all the towns around the main town, but to a lesser extent. More towns are built around those towns and so on. What you wind up with it a very busy and compact center that slowly tapers off into what we call suburbs, short for sub-urban, towns that still 'belong' to the city. After the suburbs, things taper off more until you're walking a road to towns which are no longer part of the city."
"Did you follow all that?"

"Like the crystals in Keno, I bet!" she jumped in when Greg mentioned street lamps. Karyyk nodded in the bobbing light of her light-bearing stone. "It sounds so busy! Are people nice? Is it scary? Where do you live? What are the buildings made of? Do they sparkle like Keno?" Her enthusiasm was almost tangible.

"Some people are nice and others are not. I can't promise there won't be people who mention your stature, but I can promise you that most people in the city will be far too polite to comment on it. Some will show obvious interest, others may ask you where you're from and if you know other people your height. None of them will try to drive you out of town or accuse you of being evil."
"The city can be scary, I'll warn you. Not in the sense that you'll fear for your life, but in the sense that the activity and pace of the city may be intimidating. Don't get the wrong idea, though; it's a wondrous place."
Greg took a deep breath and continued. "I live near the center of the city in what is known as a town home. It's narrow, but quite tall. The buildings are made of wood, stone, and plaster. They do not, on the whole, sparkle."
Again, he paused for thought. "The city proper is about ten times the size of Parth, if we're only considering the ground level."

"Ten times??" she gawped. "How is that even possible? How many people must live there? How do they all fit?"

"Oh, probably a few thousand people. Most who live in the city proper reside in flats, which are like small one or two-room homes arranged in a grid and accessible by outdoor walkways and staircases. I live further out and have considerably more space to myself than that. I also own my home rather than rent it."

"If it is your home, though, how do you not own it? Are these flats like rooms at an inn?"

"Yes, but if rooms at an inn were to cost less per day and were charged for monthly. Then you set them up as your home."

"Oh," she mused; "curious." They walked along a bit further. Karyyk had lost all sense of time by now. Had they been in there a couple of hours? Several? Had the sun set?
Another thought tugged at her mind. "Greg, how will I pay for things? Your currency looked so different from mine, when I saw it earlier. Actually," she held the glowing rock in one hand and fished through a pocket with the other, eventually producing the Angrahitian coin and holding it out to Greg, "Here. This is yours."

"You paid for my drink. It's yours. As far as your currency is concerned, we can simply turn it in for the value of the metal and get local currency, if you like. Otherwise, you really shouldn't worry about paying for things. I'm taking care of you for now, and eventually I'm sure our adventures will turn a profit, at which point you'll have your own money to use."

She shook her head adamantly, "I won't let you pay for everything. Teach me a trade or help me find a place where my skills can be useful. I don't want to be dependent or be a burden. I want to be as much a part of this as you are being, or at least as close as I can be."

"Look, Kary. I am not trying to make you feel as though you aren't contributing anything, but what trade would I teach you that wouldn't require years of study? When we start traveling in The North there will be plenty of times when your skills will be necessary and essential. Already, you've helped me by providing all of our food, gathering wood, making rocks glow, mercilessly tearing down innocent trees. Calm down, dear. It's really not as uneven as you seem to think."

"But when I get there, I don't want to stagnate. I've done my sitting time, and I don't want to do it again. Aren't there, I don't know..." she searched for a useful skill of hers that could apply to a more organized society, "healers or something of the sort where you're from?"

"If you insist, certainly. I can introduce you to a healer or two. There's also smithing. Any smithy in town would be chuffed to have you helping them with that strength of yours."

She pondered; "I have helped Jiol on occasion, but other than that, I don't know much about the profession. That being said, I would be happy to learn if they'd be willing to have me there. I do take up a lot of space."

"You're going to live with me, obviously. I have more than enough room in my house."

"Oh..." she replied quietly, sheepishly. "I suppose I hadn't considered that. How very kind of you. Thank you."

"Darling... of course. I have rather a sizable bed, but even if you wish to sleep separately, I'll simply make up the bed in the study for you."

There was another lull in conversation as they walked. It felt like three hours or more had passed since they entered the cave by now.
"Can you tell me more about what sort of fun things go on?" she timidly brought the subject of fun and extravagance back around. "Are there ever any galas?"

"Of course there are. I will gladly take you to any society events you wish to investigate. We'll get you properly attired and I shall take on the task of coaching you in those matters, if that's agreeable to you."

"Can you tell me more about some of them? I like thinking about that while walking. It all still seems so fantastical to me, so unreal." Had there been enough light in that dark cave, Greg would have noticed a new twinkle in her eyes. A glimmer of hope and excitement for a new start in life, or, as it felt, a new life altogether.

"Just... bear in mind that the sorts of people who attend those things also have their bad apples. Your unusual size may draw attention to you, which is why it will be particularly important for you to learn protocol and comportment. It may not be fair of them, but they will be watching you closely."
"And it isn't simply your size, either, but the fact that you are new to the area and culture and hail from foreign parts. Some of them can be rather judgmental. Don't misunderstand, though, most of them are kind people who will enjoy your company a great deal. I just want you to know that a thick skin may, on occasion, be necessary."

"I think you know fairly well how thick skinned I can be," she said, giving him a knowing look through the dimly-lit blackness.

"Well... it'll probably be the women who give you the most trouble, mostly because I imagine you'll get a lot of attention from the men. You're very beautiful, after all, and it'd be difficult to get any man in the room to tear his attention away from a woman as gorgeous as you are who also towers over the crowd."

"I'm kind of like a big tree..." she snickered, "tall, unmoving, and--"

"Majestic." His hand tightened on hers for a moment. "You really have no concept of how incredibly stunning you are, do you?" Greg let out a low growl and suddenly pressed her to the wall of the cavern, capturing her lips with his. "By the gods, Kary. I adore you, you know that?" He took the glowing stone from her and held it up near her face. "You have the most beautiful features." His other hand slid down her torso and the growl in his voice became a silken rumble. "Soft where you aught to be and rock hard everywhere else. How is it that nobody has ever told you this? You're an intoxicating woman."

For once in her life, the large woman giggled. "Probably because I never opened up to anyone enough for them to consider me anything but a threat before." She shrugged, brushing his unruly hair back from his face. "Now, however, I don't believe would be a particularly great spot to stop and explore all those..." she hesitated, "'intoxicating features.' We should probably keep moving for as long as we can."
She sighed. I never imagined expressing feelings would be so difficult...
"As charming as you are, Greg, I will love you all the more if you get me out of this damn cave sooner rather than later. I assure you, I'll be much more... willing once we're back where I can see the sky."

"Ngh. Any spot is a great spot for me to lay my hands on you, Karyyk." He slid both hands down and back, giving her behind a firm squeeze. "As you say, though, we should keep moving until it's time to set up camp for the night. Rest assured, however, that I will be bringing up this particular topic again once we do, my towering vixen." He gave her neck another short peck, then reluctantly peeled himself off her, taking her hand in his and placing the glowstone back in her other.

She let out a sigh of combined relief and frustration as Greg backed away and they continued wandering. Repeating a familiar anxious motion, she passed the glowstone to her occupied hand and rubbed the free hand along the back of her neck.
"So.... Where are we going to rest for the, well, I assume 'night' if the nearest cavern is over a day's walk from here?"
She let go of his hand and spread her arms out, touching both walls.

"Either we walk for another day without rest then catch up on our rest in the cavern, or we sleep here in the tunnel, where it's more difficult for you to evade my amorous attentions. Rawr."

Karyyk brought her arms back to her side, making sure to elbow Greg in the process. "You certainly are persistent... Like I said, though. The sooner we get out, the better. And, I don't know about you -- doubtful you'd care -- but the idea of doing such things in a cramped, rocky environment that I'm absolutely terrified of really doesn't float my boat. Sorry," she hesitated ever so slightly, "dear."

"Mademoiselle, I have methods of enhancing the buoyancy of your craft, I assure you." He gave her a canny grin and bit his lip.

"Stars above..." she muttered, placing her head in one hand, "No, Greg. We keep moving."

"Yes, dear." He gave her an exaggerated pout. "Forced march to the cavern it is, then."

They trudged on through the tunnels for what seemed like eternity, passing conversation here and there and Karyyk avoiding most of the low-hanging rock formations. Eventually, the walls widened and the ceiling opened into a sizable cavern. Karyyk focused on he glowstone and willed it to glow even brighter, but it didn't get any brighter than it had been before. Exhausted, she paused for a moment, thought, and then set the rock down. She was somewhere in the middle-ish of the cavern.
Making sure the ground beneath her was mostly even, she sat down.
"Greg, sit down with me. I want to try something," she said into the darkness.

"I was going to unpack the firewood and start setting up, but certainly." Greg reshouldered the large pack and headed over to her. He wondered briefly if she was feeling any better now that they were in a more open section of the passage.

Once he was sitting beside her, she offered her near hand to him, palm up.
"Take my hand in yours and place the other one on the ground," she said. "I'm not sure if this will work or if I can even explain it well enough to make it work if it can... but here's my idea. If we both try to imagine the cavern glowing like that rock I've been carrying does -- since they're from more or less the same area -- maybe we can get the cavern to light up the same way."

"I like where you're going with this, but considering the amount of energy it took you to light up that rock, couldn't lighting the whole cavern knock us out for days?"

She hadn't considered that. "Maybe... maybe if we only put a little bit of energy into it? Kind of like, well, probing. Honestly, I'm just curious."

"Well, all right. I just hope you're this adventurous in other aspects of our association." He smirks.

Karyyk elbowed him again, "you're so impatient. One thing at a time: experimental glowy rock... things; get out of caves; figure out what's on the other side; playtime." She winked against the soft light of the stone.

He hurumphed half-heartedly. "I already know what's on the other side, and I noticed that your glowy rock experiments and your gettings-out-of caves are taking priority over my very important avenues of scientific inquiry."

"'Scientific inquiry,'" she snorted. "What's to say my experiments aren't also driven by a similar curiosity. You and I both are faced with new opportunities that we're eager to explore the boundaries of. Perhaps we share the same interests, though in varying degrees..."
She yawned. "The sooner we give this a go, the sooner we can go to sleep, wake up, and get out of here."

"Oh, I intend to explore far more than just the boundaries." He gave her a playful shove and pecked her on the cheek.

"Stars and stones," Karyyk muttered as she closed her eyes and settled into her meditative position.

"It's your fault for being so gorgeous."

"Focus, tiny man," she smirked.

"I am focused, just not on the same things. Let's do the rock thing." He stared hard at the ground. "Rocks... activate!" He paused. "Nothing,"

"No, no. Follow my lead."
She took a deep breath in and let it out slowly, closing her eyes. "Breathe deep and just clear your thoughts. Imagine the whole cavern just lighting up." She faltered briefly, unsure how to explain the process. "Imagine the warmth and energy moving from your body into the stone..."
Karyyk had no idea if what she was telling him was making any sense, but she was curious to see what would happen, even if that meant nothing at all.

Greg did so without hesitation, not entirely unfamiliar with a few forms of meditation. Once his mind was in a meditative state, he did as she bid him.

They sat like that for maybe a minute until Karyyk squeezed her hand. "Greg, look..."
The cavern around them had begun to faintly glow with veins of shimmering golden light.
"I guess that answers my question," she almost whispered, captivated by the sight. She attempted to stand but found her knees protesting the push against gravity.

Greg, equally drained, tossed the pack away a few feet and curled up against Karyyk. "It's very beautiful. I'm glad we tried the glowing stone thing. Glowstone. The glowstone thing. Anyroad, I'm glad. Goodnight." He fell dead asleep on the spot, nuzzling her shoulder.

Karyyk curled around him. "Goodnight," she mumbled, burying her face in his hair and promptly falling asleep.

Karyyk felt a gentle jostling, slowly drawing her away from a deep and restful sleep. She need not have opened her eyes, being that there was no difference that her sight could discern between the cave around them and the backs of her eyelids. "Darling? Are you all right?"

The large woman stretched, feeling the cold stone against her back, through her clothes. "Mmhmm," she sighed. Opening her eyes, she saw nothing. Her initial instinct was to panic, but she quickly remembered where they were. "Our lights went out," she remarked, getting to her knees and feeling the ground around her for the stone they had been carrying as a source of illumination. After a moment she found it and gathered it into her palms, doing as she had before to brighten its surface.
"Where do we go from here," she asked as she stood up, brushing the dust, dirt, and loose stone off of her garments.

"We need to go through the cavern opening directly across from the one where I dropped my pack. Good thing I did, too. Passing out in the dead center of a dark cavern is a good way to lose your bearings." He gently took the rock from her and walked over to his pack, shouldering it, then walking back in her direction. Greg took her hand in his, smiled, then lead her toward the aforesaid exit. "Feeling rested?"

"I am, yes. You?" she walked to meet his stride as they made their way out of the cavern.

"I honestly haven't slept so well in over a month." He was silent for a few minutes as they made their way back into the tunnels. "Say. Aside from dancing and survivalism, what is it you do for entertainment? Do you have a hobby? Woodcarving? Singing? Long runs for no reason at all?"

She laughed, "I guess my wandering is my entertainment. I enjoy watching people and observing their habits. I find it interesting for some reason." A somber sigh, "I never really sang much after my father passed. He used to sing to me all the time. I guess I became much more serious and withdrawn after I lost him."
After a moment of reflective silence, she turned the conversation back to Greg. "What about you?"

"Oh... well. Are you sure you want me to get into it?"

"It's not like we don't have the time."

Scratching the top of his head for a moment, he pondered then brushed the hair from his face. "Well, I do a little bit of blacksmithing, I shoot firearms at a range sometimes, I read quite a lot. Uhm... I'm a sort of amateur historian, philologist, and linguist. I like to drink whiskey, but not to get drunk. I like training my palette to discern layers to the flavors and perhaps try to guess things about the whiskey, like its age, what sort of barrel it was aged in, that sort of thing. I like good food. I sometimes like to keep a small vegetable garden."
Another pause. "I, too, like watching people, and for the same reasons you seem to. I enjoy ballroom dance. OH! Yes! I play the fiddle!" He trailed off. "I know there's more, but I can't think of it, just now."

Karyyk blinked into the darkness. "You do an awful lot. How in the world did you get into all that?"

"Time and opportunity. You'll see."

She didn't understand, but she attempted to press on with the conversation anyway. "What did you do when you were younger? Most have to take up some sort of trade or such when they are of suitable working ages, do they not?"

He smiled. "I told you. I went to school."

"Did you not apprentice anywhere? Your society seems so peculiar."

"No. I went to school, then I went to more school, then I graduated and worked various jobs for the next twenty years."

"That sounds incredibly boring." Another long pause carried them through the cave system. "How many more days til we're out? I've lost track of time in here..."

"Three," he croaked.

Karyyk let out a long, echoing groan.

"Think about this. If not for these tunnels, we'd be trying to go over The Teeth."

"I'm not sure whether or not that would be preferable to wandering through pitch darkness with no sense of time, direction, or what even lies on the other side."

"You keep saying that as though I've never been there. That's where I'm from. I've been telling you about it for days, now. Now when I came through, I genuinely had no idea what to expect."

"Well, I'm in your position now." She paused. "How did you even know to come looking for this place anyway? Does where you're from know that we exist down here?"

"I knew there must be a way to the other side of The Teeth because there are historical artifacts and documents dating back thousands of years from over there, so I found the most recent piece from your side that I could, a 300-year-old tapestry, and referenced documents from around that time."

"What? How??" she asked, exasperated and excited. Just when she thought she knew and understood everything about Tor, something new had come to light. "Does everyone know we're down here? How are those things so old? What happened?" Questions flooded out of her with childish enthusiasm.

Greg quirked a brow at her. "We are the only ones who know we're down here, and what do you mean, 'what happened?' History happened. There is a lot of it." For just a moment, Gregory felt himself become annoyed before remembering that this woman, no matter how intelligent she was, had spent her life wandering between the villages of Dirthaven and Mudton. She was eager to learn and he knew he should be patient. She wasn't like his students, who'd had ten years of education under their belts before they showed up in his class to ask silly questions. Karyyk was, for all intents and purposes, starting at square one.
"What I mean to say is... that is a very big question, dear."

"What if I break it into smaller questions?"

He chuckled. "Please do. I haven't the materials to compose a lesson plan, so it will have to be a Q&A."

"Okay," she took a breath. "Does everyone in... the north place where you come from know about Tor? Like, do people come down here all the time?"

"No. I'm the first that I know of, leaving aside the aforesaid archaeological evidence." Feeling rested, Gregory seemed eager to pick up the pace. "It's another two days to the next cavern, and one of the cave-ins is coming up."

Karyyk shuddered. "You said you worked through it... right?"

"More like I cleared enough away to get through. Shouldn't be too difficult to simply widen the area to get you through. Frankly, you aren't much wider than I am, if at all, but your limbs are longer, so you'll need a little more space than I did in order to get through."

"As long as you can promise I won't get stuck in there," she stated firmly. Rerouting her train of thought, she turned back to the earlier questions:
"Why did the tunnels close? You made it sound like these tunnels were used on a regular basis. What made people stop?"

"It isn't really clear. Perhaps you were right and there was a war."

"Well, what else do you know? I want to learn more about places and things that happened. Do you know why people have magic? Do you know why you and I are the way we are?"

He sighed. "Dear, I already told you I have no idea why we are the way we are. As for why people have magic, who knows? One of the gods probably visited the world and forgot their magic wand, and now it's seeped into the very soil of our world." He shrugs.

Karyyk pondered: "What if they never left? What if the gallistas happen when they get angry? What if they're our punishment for doing wrong?"

"You really do worry a lot for somebody your age. You need to relax or you're going to make yourself ill." He stroked her back with gentle fondness.

"But what if that's where they're from? What if they're still among us somewhere." She stopped suddenly and gasped. "Oh my stars, Greg... Do you think maybe that's why we live so long? Maybe the gods -- or demons or whatever they are -- have something to do with it!"

He chuckled. "Perhaps you and I are part god, like in the ancient fables." He wiggled his fingers at her mystically. "OOoooooOOOooh!"

"What fables?" she asked, chuckling at his theatrics once again.

"Well, there's the story of Brikken, son of Thuus, the god of storms. Brikken was a mortal man, but possessed of abilities beyond those of most men, with the strength of an unyielding wind and hair the color of stormclouds, when he went into battle, the sun never shone for long. The skies would darken and the winds would howl for as long as his foes stood."
"You know, that sort of thing. I'm sure your lot have similar stories."

"Curious. I was always told that long ago, there were people who climbed the great mountains, drawn to them somehow. Atop the tallest, they angered a demon, and it cast a curse upon them and their lineage. They would forever be outcast from any village they visited. Eventually, they traveled to live in isolation, and as a reminder to the people below to never bother him, the demon resolved to send out great magical storms -- the gallistas -- to curse a handful of us as a reminder of the power he wields over us." She paused, going over the story in her head to make sure she hadn't missed any crucial parts. Satisfied, she closed: "Those were the tales I heard, anyway."

"It sounds as though your tales are designed to dehumanize twists by attributing their gifts to demonic curses. It's the opposite where I'm from. Twists are seen as having a gift, bestowed by the gods who provide the land with magic. Those that are given that gift are seen as having been chosen by the gods to fulfill a purpose, a gods-given destiny, whether it's to shape metal or to bring the rains during a dry season. Whatever their gift is, it should be embraced until its true purpose is revealed to the twist. It isn't always so clear."

"That sounds like it would have been a much nicer society to grow up in." Her voice was tinged with sadness.

"Hey." Greg stopped in his tracks and wrapped Karyyk in his embrace. "Don't be sad. In only a few more days, you'll be there, and I'll get to show you around!"

"But I look different. Won't they notice an outsider in their village?"

"I said I'd get you some city clothing, didn't I? Honestly, do you even know how to stop worrying?" He gave her a little squeeze before indicating they should keep moving.

"I do!" she harumphed as they continued walking through the cave system. "I do when there's good reason not to worry. Consider my place: I've been an outcast my whole life solely for existing. I know nothing else. Surely you can understand why I'd be a bit skeptical."

"Sorry, I know. It's only that it's starting to wear thin a bit. Perhaps if you give me an hour or two where you don't hit me with any negative what-ifs and I promise I'll be equipped to deal with your panic attacks then."

"They're not panic attacks, Greg," she grumped. "I panicked about the width of these stupid caves, but that was it. I'm not panicking about the people. I'm just expressing my doubts," she clarified snappily.

"I'm teasing you, luv. Don't be such a worrywart. Keep asking questions, though. I want to make certain I don't miss anything you want to know."

She relaxed her shoulders and took a breath. "Okay," she sighed, "Uh... what do people eat up there? You seemed to think hunting was unnecessary when we first headed out."

"Most people don't hunt their own food. Food animals are raised on farms and slaughtered, then sent to a number of butchers throughout the city, where people buy the meat for their meals."

"I mean, we have farms too, but when I travel, I have to hunt." She pondered, "But what's an example of a delicacy? I know in Keno, they have a really fancy traditional dish made of duck and berries prepared in such a way that the duck has a sweet sort of syrup on it. They only eat it at major celebrations like weddings."

"Certain types of fish eggs." He paused to consider. "Ah! Corn-fed goose liver. Erm, hmmmn. There are certain types of fish we like to eat raw or very lightly smoked if we can get it fresh enough. Another favorite is to take raw fish and squeeze lemon juice on it. The citric acid 'cooks' the fish without cooking it. There's a syrup made from the sap of trees that takes up to 90 gallons of sap to make one gallon of the syrup. It's very expensive. We'll definitely try whatever you want once we're in Angrah."

With an awestruck and almost whispered "wow," Karyyk handed the glowstone over to Greg and dug the smoked fish out of her pack. "I just realized we haven't eaten in something like two days." She paused, "I wonder why I didn't notice until we started talking about food."

"Well, I was feasting my eyes on you." He shot her a sly wink.

Karyyk rolled her eyes and handed him a piece of fish. "This will sustain you longer."

"Really? Because your proximity sustains me pretty well." He gave her a playful shove, then wrapped an arm around her before sitting down on a stone to eat his fish. before sitting down on a stone to eat his fish.

"You know, it never ceases to surprise me just how cheerful you are, in spite of everything that goes on around you. Most people would be pretty dismal by now, between traveling with me and trudging through a cave." She gave a tired smile as she settled down to enjoy her own fish.

"What's not to be cheerful about? I spent months pouring over ancient texts, which is my idea of fun to begin with, wot. Then, I travel through a system of caves and tunnels hitherto lost to antiquity, I came out on the other side and meet a wonderful giant of a woman who not only shared my curse, but is possessed of beauty, intellect, and shrewd cunning. Then, she agrees to travel with me, and to top it all off, we become romantically involved, which, did I mention she's gorgeous?" And she was gorgeous. Saying all of it aloud, seemed to cheer him even more.

Karyyk wanted to shrug off his compliments once more, but something stopped her this time. Could she really be such an important source of his happiness? As far as she'd known, nobody had ever really been happy per se because of her. Maybe it was something she should get used to around Greg.

Maybe, you numbskull, you should try taking a few lessons from him...

In a foreign and mechanical motion, Karyyk reached out in the darkness and pulled Greg toward her in a hug. She buried her face in his hair and let out a shaky sigh.

"Greg, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that I'm bad at showing compassion and anything even remotely related, and I'm sure I don't need to tell you I'm not quick to love..." she hesitated, "but I am excited to see your world out there, on the other side of the mountains, and..." she drew in a shaky breath, "and I think I may someday learn to say..." she stumbled, "...How I feel about you."

She turned silent again and simply drew him in closer.

"Ooof!" A small breath of surprise escaped him, but his arms were quickly around her, hugging back. "Hey, now." He stroked her back affectionately. "I wouldn't want you to say anything of the sort until you were sure of it. Gods, I'm mad about you and even I'm not ready for, you know, those sorts of words yet. We have plenty of time."
Greg paused to gather his thoughts, still hugging her. "I don't think you dislike me. If you did, I don't think you'd have... done what we did. If I'm honest, I was as pleased to know you fancy me as I was to be making love to a gorgeous woman. That was demonstration enough. If it takes you a little bit longer to more freely express affection in other ways, so be it. I'm happy to be chums with some very lovely perks whilst we figure out the whole romantic side of it, eh?"

"When we're out of this place, what if I have a hard time adjusting to your society? What if I want to go back to Parth?" She squinted into the darkness, trying to make out any changes in light. "Will we be out of here soon?"

"On the off chance that you somehow prefer to exist in a society that shuns you rather than accepts you, we'll find a way to make it work. As for how long, it's a day to the next cave, then a day to come out the other side." Gregory rubbed his temples when he knew she wasn't looking, knowing her claustrophobia wasn't her fault, but finding it difficult to be patient with her needling about when they'd be out. "If you think about it, we're getting by incredibly well. There are no dangerous animals in here, no bandits, nothing. If we tried to cross over the mountains, even you and I might find it taxing, and it would take far more than a single week."
Greg gave her behind a light pinch. "Well, nearly no dangerous animals. Rawr."

Karyyk groaned. "I can handle animals and bandits. It's what I do. I just hate being in the dark for so long. I need fresh air..." She could feel her hands starting to shake as adrenaline pumped through her system. "I need..." she stood up. "I need to get out." She took off running down the cave toward the exit.

Greg blinked a few times, stunned, and mused aloud. "Well, that was unexpected." He took off in the same direction, expecting he'd come upon her quickly enough when she tripped on a rock while charging blindly down the rocky tunnels. I only hope she doesn't injure herself.

As she ran, she kept her head low, hoping to avoid any low-hanging stones. She wove her way through the darkness until she lost her footing on a small slope and slid downward about five feet. Quickly hopping back to her feet, she ran further until she was short of breath. Her sprint slowed to a run, which in turn slowed to a jog and then a walk. Eventually, she trudged along, dragging her feet as she went.

Disturbed and irritated, Greg followed at a sustainable jog, listening to make sure she didn't run down some unknown side tunnel. Eventually, Greg came upon her, jogging casually with measured even breaths. "Karyyk. Are you all right? Did you get that out of your system?" She could tell he was mildly irritated, but the overriding emotion in his voice was worry.

"I'm fine," she huffed, "I just wanted to make some more aggressive progress toward getting out of this place." She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, setting her hands together over her stomach and continuing to breathe in a slow rhythm. "I think I'm going to see if I can just meditate my way through the rest of this while walking. Make sure I don't hit anything and snap me out of it when we're there." After that, she fell silent, except for her steady sets of inhalations and exhalations.

"I suppose whatever gets us through this with both of us intact." He sighed. "Not that I don't appreciate the trust you're placing in me, but this is going to make for a very dull two days."

"Maybe you should try it too," she said as she moved one of her hands to hold one of his. "Let's clear our heads and think about ourselves and about what we'll do once we're out. That's what I'm going to think about anyway. Maybe it'll help make the time pass more quickly."

"Mademoiselle, thinking about things is not meditating, it's just thinking about things." He gave her a playful nudge and went up on his toes to plant a kiss on her cheek.

"It can be if you paint yourself a scene and live in it in your mind. It's almost as good as dreaming," she said with a smile.

"Mademoiselle, that is daydreaming, not meditation. Who taught you how to meditate, somebody in that Wisp place?" He cuddled up against her side and took her hand in his.

She gave him a playful shove. "In my mind, meditation is anything that can relieve stress. There are different types of meditation -- calming meditation, thoughtful meditation, seeking mediation -- and they all do different things. Now, join me if you want, otherwise, I'll be in my own place in my mind for a while."

"Anything that relieves stress? In that case, I think I know a sort of mediation we'll both enjoy." He quipped, giving her hand a gentle squeeze.

"Oh my stars, don't you ever think of anything else?" she groaned.

"Your proximity has a certain effect on me. If you insist, however." Holding her hand firmly in his, he took a few breaths. Instead of following the suggestion of thinking about what was to come, however, he merely cleared his mind and focused on his breathing, allowing the tunnel, the caves, and even his delightful new friend to melt away from his thoughts until there was only his breath and his heartbeat. Whenever an errant thought entered his mind, he would merely take note of it and dismiss it, returning his focus to the meditation.

Karyyk felt a gentle jostling. They'd stopped walking. "Oi. You. With the flowing blonde locks. We're at the last cave."

She took a final deep breath in and let it out in a loud sigh that echoed through the chamber. "FINALLY!" Dropping her pack on the rocky ground, Karyyk produced her bedroll, which she would sleep on for the first night in... gosh, more than I can remember...
Once the blankets and cushions had been laid out, Karyyk flopped down on them and groaned into the pillow. "I'm going to go to sleep, wake up in what I can only assume will be the morning, and then I'm packing up and taking off at a jog through the remainder of these tunnels," she muttered into the cushion, loud enough that Greg could hear her.

"You're going to jog for half a day?" He pressed in next to her, adding one of his own blankets to keep in her radiator-like warmth and keep out the damp of the cave.

"If I can find a reasonable pace, I should be able to, yes. Anything to get me out of here sooner."

"You really need to calm down. I don't know how you can be so impatient with sixty years under your belt."

She shot a skeptical look his way through the darkness and coughed. "One could say the same about you, you know."

Greg reached out with his index finger and nudged the side of her breast. "No idea what you're talking about."

She slapped his hand away, but with a smile on her face. "Go to sleep, Greg," she sighed, the grin audible in her tone as she turned to lay on her side with her back to him.

Giving a quiet chuckle, he reached under her shirt and spent a few minutes scratching her back before falling asleep thusly snug in their shared heat.

When Karyyk woke, she wasted no time in packing her things, nearly throwing Greg off of his bedding. She hastily prepared her bag while barking quietly at Greg to wake up and get moving. "I wanna be out of here by sundown... If we're still even matched up with the day/night cycle." She gave him a gentle but firm shove to jostle him awake, "Come on. Up."

Greg grumbled and wrapped himself in the sheets more tightly. "Look, luv. Calm down and get back under the sheets. You can run all you like in a couple of hours. I'm not going to jog all day on insufficient rest."

"Then you can catch up to me," she continued as she packed up the last of her bedding.

"You're being awful. Don't be awful." He growled, sounding genuinely upset.

She quirked an eyebrow and sat down next to him. "The sooner we get moving," she said softly, leaning down to him, "the sooner I'll stop complaining about being in the caves..." she hesitated a moment, venturing back into the realm of uncertain emotions, "...and the sooner we can move on to other aspects of our life." Though he wouldn't be able to tell in the dark, thankfully, she was blushing.

"Just... just lay down. Just... another hour or two and I'll jog the whole way with you. I double extra promise." He lifted the covers for her, looking hopeful she'd let him sleep more.

Her shoulders trembled, urging her to get up off the ground and make it to the outside world starting now, but her eyelids drooped and her heart fluttered with sleep and need to be near that warm embrace. Ultimately, she succumbed and rolled under the blanket. "As soon as we wake, though, promise me we can get moving. Promise me."

"Absolutely." He nodded and pressed himself close, planting a light peck on her lips then pressing his head into the pillow with a groggy groan of sleepy satisfaction.

Karyyk blinked her eyes open after an unknown amount of time had passed. She turned to Greg and nudged him. "Hey, wake up. It's time we get moving."

Her jostling woke him. He opened his eyes and beamed at her, then kissed her forehead. "Good morning, beautiful. Ready for a brisk jog?"

"I've been ready for a while. Let's get moving."

"Mn. I really needed the extra sleep. Thank you for waiting." He gathered what remained to be gathered, put some energy into the glowstone, and handed it to her. "Shall we?"

Karyyk nodded and started off at a light jog, gradually picking up her pace until she was moving at a steady, quick clip.
"So, moving at a jog like this, how long do you think we should take to reach the light of day?"

"Oh, about forty-six hours." He matched her pace easily.

She missed a step and stumbled before catching her footing and continuing her pace, a little faster this time. "Forty-six hours??" she exclaimed; "I thought we had a day left after that cave!"

"I had to keep you moving somehow."

"So you LIED?"

He grinned evilly. "No, I'm lying now. I give it ten hours at the longest."

She gave him a shove, hard enough to send him up against the wall, though not hard enough to hurt. "You're such a jerk," she spat, relief in her voice as she picked up her pace to a sprint, making him work to keep up with her.

Smirking, he failed to match her speed. "If you want to scout ahead, that's fine. I'll catch up when you exhaust yourself and we have to stop to rest, extending that estimate to eleven hours."

"UGH" she groaned from far enough ahead that her voice echoed. Karyyk dropped her pace back down to a sustainable one. Greg gradually caught up to her.
"You know, for someone so small... you're really damn annoying sometimes." Though she wore a scowl on her face, she was grateful to be nearing the end of her time underground.
I certainly hope I like it on the other side of those mountains. If I don't, I'm not sure I could bear the thought of traversing these stupid caves again just to get back home.

He let out a hearty guffaw. "For somebody so large, you're incredibly gentle and beautiful." His smile was wide and genuine, summoned with the sole purpose of demolishing her scowl.

She gave him another shove, softer this time. "I can be. I'm sure I don't need to remind you how much strength I have in a single finger and..." she trailed off. "You know," she restarted, "I'm really not feeling the whole 'look how tough I am' game right now. Sure," she admitted, "I suppose you're right."
Picking up her pace again ever so slightly, she pushed forward, "I just hope we get to the end of these caves soon. It'll be nice to be back in fresh air, open space, and the light of day."

"Oh, I don't know. That cave was cozy. Perhaps you and I might build a little shack there, eh?" He sped up to match her this time.

Once again, Karyyk let out a groan. "You're relentless."

"I certainly am that, if nothing else. As for your strength, I suspect, though I don't know for sure, that I'm nearly as strong as you are. Well, perhaps not nearly, but likely somewhere between you and a non-twist."

"Do they ever have tournaments where you're from?" she asked.

"I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific. I mean, for all I know you could mean a goose juggling tournament."

She tossed an elbow his way, playfully. "You know that isn't what I mean. I'm talking about tournaments of strength, of skill, of prowess."

"Could you, perhaps, be even more specific?"

"Like swordplay? Hand-to-hand combat?"

"Oh, those sorts. Erm, well, I suppose we do sometimes, luv, but usually only as part of historical reenactments."

"Reenactments?" she laughed, "What is there to reenact?"

"History. Some people get together and pretend to be people from the past to better understand and enjoy our history."

"That's so odd... Different towns will sometimes hold these tournaments and the winner gets, well," she paused briefly. "The prize really depends on where the tournament is being held. I've been in tournaments whose prizes have ranged from ale on the house for the night to jewels and finely-crafted weapons. There's really a lot of variation depending on the town's specialty. Don't you have anything like that where you're from?"

"We have competitions, I suppose, but nothing on quite that scale." He paused. "Say. Next time, we should just take my airship over the mountains."

Again, Karyyk stumbled. "I'm sorry, your what?"

"It's like a ship that goes on water, but it flies through the air. Next time we should take that instead of going through the caves. Oh, but I left it on the Parth side of the mountains."

Suddenly she shifted and had Greg pinned against the wall within the space of a breath. "You WHAT??" She snarled fiercely, lifting him up by his shirt and holding him firmly against the rocky surface. "You had a different way of crossing these mountains and you dragged me through these gods-forsaken caves anyway?!"

Greg looked at her quizzically. "It simply hadn't occurred to me, presumably because I don't own an airship and because even if I did, the storms above the mountains make it far too dangerous for air travel. I was joking, dear. You should really work on your temper."

Growling, she let him slip to the floor. "You really know how to make that temper of mine tick, dear. Maybe try not being so cheeky all the time, and you'll find your feet stay firmly on the ground."
She continued to jog along in silence for a while before the implications of his words truly registered.
"Hang on," she finally said, interrupting the silent tension between them, "you're telling me people can fly?!""

"Yes, of course we can. Anyway, you're going to have to contain reactions like that when we're in the city. I'll do my best not to provoke you, but I can't make promises for anybody else."

"What'll happen if I don't?" she asked, lifting an eyebrow inquisitively.

"Well, you could be arrested, for one, which is terribly inconvenient."

"Arrested? Like put in the stocks or stoned or something?" She snorted, "arrested, "just for being a little rough? How do you people survive?"

"... No. Gods above, how did you survive so long in that place?! We don't put anybody in stocks and we certainly don't stone people! We detain them. We put them in prison, then either fine them or leave them in prison for an amount of time determined by a court or law."

"Well, what's the point of that?" she scoffed, "How are they expected to learn a lesson by just sitting there or having to pay money? You can always make more money, and sitting around would just make someone mad and give them time to think about what they've done and how to exact revenge on whoever made them sit there so long. Your system sounds kind of lacking."

"Losing five or ten years of freedom is nothing to scoff at when most people barely make it to 90. How are you supposed to learn a lesson if you've been stoned to death?"

"Pain is a good teacher. If something hurts enough, most people don't do it again."

"Yes, well. Be that as it may, we consider it to be inhumane and barbaric to torture prisoners. I would endeavor to keep that sort of thing quiet."

"But don't people enjoy tales of war and strength? What stories to people tell around fires or at the tavern?" She paused, "or don't you have those either?"
There was a brief pause.
"Okay, so you probably don't have taverns, but what do you people talk about?"

"Of course we have taverns. We tell stories about..." He thought for a moment, musing. "Mysteries, and cleverly solving them. Or sometimes about heroic adventures. Usually in our stories, the protagonist is fighting for righteousness and goodness, and follows a moral code."

"Are they true stories?"

"Some of them."

Karyyk was quiet for a moment. "What if I told my stories and people assumed they were made up? I can't get in trouble for telling a story, can I?" She continued to jog along at a steady pace.

"No. You wouldn't get in trouble for that, in all likelihood. Are you some manner of skald, as well?"

"Am I what?" she blurted, almost laughing, "your words make no sense at all sometimes."

"Skald. Bard. Storyteller. Entertainer."

"Not last I checked. I just spend a lot of time roaming. When I make it to a town that doesn't know me well, many of them want to hear my stories. Outsiders are uncommon in the towns and villages. I mean, if nothing else, people in Wisp are always up for stories, even though I doubt they would remember them five minutes later."

"Well, I can almost guarantee your stories will be eagerly received in the city."

"But I thought you said to keep quiet about stuff back home..."

"It's fine to tell stories, even if you're in them. It's another to go around telling people you think it's all right to torture prisoners. That's considered a terrible crime, and has ended careers in law enforcement."

"Torture?? No, it's not torture! It's just... If someone does something wrong, depending on how bad it is, that's how bad their punishment will be. Steal something, get a day in the stocks. Cause a major disruption maybe get stoned. Kill someone, pay with your own life. It's a simple system, really." Her tone was cool and calm. It was a system she had known all her life and it had kept her in line. She wasn't sure how Greg found it so difficult to comprehend.

"A system so simple can hardly be fair, Karyyk. It ignores gray areas, circumstances, things of that nature. That's hardly justice. We used to be similar, four-hundred years ago."

"Four hundred--" she spat, almost hitting her head on the ceiling as she stood up straight in alarm, "What do you mean four hundred years ago?? I don't... I... What?!"

"A year is the planet revolving once around the sun, or a single turn of the seasons. This has happened twenty score times since we used such a system. Hmn. Twenty score. A score of scores? A score squared? Hmn..."

She gave him a hard but still somewhat playful slap on the shoulder. "I can count, Greg. I just find it hard to believe, you know? How can two places to near to each other be so different -- four hundred years different, as circumstances would have it?"

He lifted his nose in mock arrogance. "Civilization, my dear. Civilization."

"I'd say it's a relative term." Karyyk trotted along in moderate silence following that remark until her curiosity got the best of her.
"If Tor has been that way for hundreds of years and presumably many before that, do you think it will ever change?"

"Fundamentally, I'm not sure people themselves change that much, but once you reach a critical number of people where everybody isn't fighting for survival and the means of production are efficient enough that some can focus on intellectual pursuits, societal and technological change follow soon thereafter."

She turned her head and blinked silently at him a couple of times. "Sure," she said slowly, uncertain of what exactly he meant. "Once we get out of this stupid cave system, you're going to have a lot to teach me. The more we talk, the more I realize I'm going to be completely lost in this city of yours. I just hope I don't mess up and get myself thrown in jail or any other 'civilized' risk I'm not familiar with."

"Ha! I suppose it never occurred to me that it might be so treacherous. Those rules come naturally to me, but..." Gregory trailed off, seemingly lost in thought.

She impatiently awaited a response. "Buuuuut...? But what? You never expected there could be a functioning society so far behind the times?"

"Well, no. I hadn't. I was just thinking of the most efficient way to bring you up to speed. It shouldn't be difficult. You're incredibly intelligent. All you need is a crash course and I think you'll be able to fill in the gaps without too much difficulty."

Another bout of silence filled the space between them, leaving only the echoing of their footsteps to fill the air. "I guess..." she began, "I guess I never imagined a place could exist with anything different than what I knew in Tor." Karyyk paused, debating whether or not to ask a seemingly-stupid question. "Do you really have flying machines?"

He nodded, grinning. "We certainly do, and I'm looking forward to watching your expression the first time we go up in one."

"How do you fly? Do you have a different kind of magic where you're from? What else can it do? Can anyone learn it?" She tried to contain her excitement, but it was beginning to bubble up in her. They were closer than ever to this place, and yet...
The excitement came to a sudden and choking halt. "You're not lying, are you?" she demanded, sullenly. "What if we get there and I find out you've been telling me stories all along? What if these tunnels never end? What if--"

"Well, you figured it out. We're not seven hours away from a new and fantastical civilization in which you will undoubtedly thrive. I've been lying the whole time and am, in fact, a crazy subterranean mole man, bringing you back to my lair because we need more women to perpetuate our cave-dwelling race."

Karyyk let out an annoyed but amused grunt and nudged Greg hard enough to bring his shoulder against the wall again.
"Oh, I suppose that won't be allowed where we're going..." she poked him several times, "or this."
After a minute or two of prodding and jeering, she let him be. "I'm just nervous," she admitted finally. "I'm sure you and your bountiful wisdom have already figured that out, but I'm utterly frightened of what lies beyond the end of this tunnel. I don't know anything but what I've seen in Tor. I'm assuming it'll be like Keno, but even they don't have these airships or anything like that." As she went on, her tone became heavier with doubt. "I'm worried I'm going to be a laughing stock because I won't understand anything. I'll be as good as a member of a cave-dwelling race. It's already clear I'm about as educated..."

"Firstly, you won't be a laughing stock amongst my set. The society I keep will be far too fascinated asking you questions about Tor to care what you know about our society, and they'll be happy to answer any questions you have, just as I am." He patted her shoulder before continuing.
"Secondly, I don't think you're as frightened of that as you are of these caves, but now, mere hours away from emerging on the other side, you've chosen to start worrying about what's next instead of focusing on the fact that we'll finally be out in open country again. This is why your sort of meditation is no good. You're training your mind to wander instead of taking it by the reins."
"Thirdly and finally, there is a type of wood that easily holds enchantments, and we enchant it to repel the ground. We build it into the hulls of our ships. It's called liftwood. We use a combination of liftwood, other enchantments, and in some cases where we need to achieve great altitudes, we use envelopes of gasses that are naturally lighter than air."

"That sounds like a lot of work," she gaped, trying to imagine such a contraption. "I'm excited and afraid to see what this city of yours is like. I just hope I fit in. It sounds like I'm going to have a lot of adjusting to do." Karyyk paused, a sudden realization causing a hiccup in her stride as she jogged along. "What if I change so much people don't recognize me if I come back?" She pondered to herself for a few moments. "I suppose we could always take up a sort of visiting spot in Keno. I imagine they would be receptive."

"What if a giant space dragon eats the whole planet?!" He groaned. "You're a terrible pessimist. Stop. Just stop, for goodness sake. You'll be fine. I'll be fine. We'll be fine. You're so cautious that the only thing likely to cause you any difficulty will be how insanely cautious you are."

"But you made it sound like it would be better if I were cautious..."

"There's caution, then there's paranoia."

Karyyk crossed her arms and harumphed as she ran. "You try being dragged along on some spur-of-the-moment adventure to a fairytale land full of things you can barely imagine and a society of people with different standards and ideals than those you grew up with, and you tell me you wouldn't be worried or paranoid or overly-cautious or anything of the sort."

"Nope. Cheer up, mopey."

Karyyk laughed. "You use some of the strangest terms... I'm just a little concerned because I don't really know what to expect. I presume I'll figure it out and take it in stride once we get there, but until then, I'm left to draw my own conclusions and try to mentally prepare myself for what may or may not lie ahead."

"Only you aren't preparing; you're agonizing."

"I'm exhaustively preparing! Like I said, I don't know what to expect out there!"

"You REALLY want to know what to expect?! DO you?!" He yelled, sounding annoyed.

Karyyk recoiled slightly, "Okay, hang on... I'm sorry. I can keep it to myse--"

Greg suddenly grabbed her by the shoulders and, as they turned a corner, gave her a light shove. Her vision was filled with a starry night sky. Greg grinned and leapt out next to her, wrapping an arm around her waist. "Expect that."

Back