The Tower of Yor

So, you've come

By yourself or with an army, you have only your skill and the luck of the divine draw if you wish to assail the 100 floors of the Tower of Yor. Ruled by the self proclaimed God Lord Malfurion, it's harrowing vaults are home to some of the nastiest entities in the known multi-verse, all gathered in chaotic harmony towards one, unshakeable task: Protect the Orb of Tozak at all costs. One can only dream of ascending it's 100 floors to the top, and even then one must also escape once the orb is in hand....
But this is a pauper's dream. Surely no one could ever actually steal the Orb of Tozak.
Or could they?
---
The tower itself, from the outside at least, appears endlessly tall. Its crystalline peak is seen to go well into the clouds and beyond, and its width is similarly daunting; It is obvious something titanic, whether in physical nature or meta-physical prowess, crafted this monstrosity. Built of ancient stone and gleaming dark crystal, the tower emanates an intimidating aura of pure malevolence, a defense against weaker willed would be ascendants. If you are able to brave the tangible nature of this field you are free to step up to the challenge of entering and facing its terrors.

But be forewarned.

Once you step in, you cannot leave until the floor you're on is cleared (barring you are not on the very first floor, which will be explained shortly). Once cleared, you are given a choice: Leave, and collect your wits along with your life before it's too late, or continue like the mad devil you are. For what other purpose have you come but to claim the Orb of Tozak? It haunts your dreams. It speaks to you in your most private thoughts.

You must attain the Orb of Tozak. Whether to unlock it's impossible power, or to steal it away from the dark forces who would use it for their own malign purposes, your reasoning for coming matters not compared to the weight of the insurmountable task that stands before you.

Can you claim the Orb and escape with your life?

How you get here, and the rules and such
(All rules are subject to change given GM approval/insight/criticism)

To reach the realm of Malfuria, one must either be chosen by the God Lord Malfurion, a rare if not terrifying honor, or simply come of their own volition. If you think the name of the Tower a portal can be made to open if one wills it that immediately transports them to the Tower's front door. Whether a zealot for the cause or a loner with your own array of unique talents, anyone is open to come face the tower and challenge it's 100 floors, barring you must start from the bottom. That is, unless you have activated a checkpoint.

Checkpoints

For every ten floors conquered in the halls of Yor, every 11th floor prompts a schism in the Tower’s structure, opening up an extra-dimensional space of unlimited respite. Decadent splendor, copious amounts of food and drink, and the alluring heat of relaxing hot springs go to those who can make it to one of these coveted checkpoints. As Dungeon Master I will keep track of this on the front page right below by keeping your name on a list of floors 1-100 with your username and character name directly next to said floor number for easy tracking.

The First Floor

The first floor is not what one would expect from an infamous tower of eldritch might. Upon entrance one steps into a courtyard sized garden brimming with fertile life and exotic vegetation. Delicious otherworldly fruits line most bushes and trees, and gentle forest animals can be seen gathering and eating of this endless bounty from all around. Beautiful nymphs, handsome warriors, and all manner of elf and orc dwell this floor peacefully as well. Mayhaps they are like minded adventurers and dungeon crawl enthusiasts such as yourself. In the center of all the hustle and bustle of the forest, a single entity sits on a throne the size of a house.
It is the God Lord Malfurion, enjoying himself as usual.

Speaking as the Dungeon Master, and how you can be one too

I will DM, or be the God Lord Malfurion in this particular situation, all of the floor games you will be randomly subjected to in this thread. That being said, I am not opposed to creative license being borrowed for any would be writers who wanna flex their creative writing muscles. Character death is highly probable if you enter the Tower’s higher floors.

Death is permanent.

Disclaimer
If you desire, I can lead descriptions of challenges like a DM for you and your party. I would love to DM for anyone honestly, so if you want someone to lead on an experience in the Tower then I would be happy to help or provide such.

Now, let’s summarize everything I just said for those who don’t want to ever read this paragraph again.

1. I’m an adult. I assume you can act like one too. Do so, and have fun.

2. Character Death is possible any higher than the 2nd floor.

3. God Modding that seems abnormal or ridiculous will be punished with random rolls for damnation and misfortune equivalent to the level of shenanigans at hand.

4. Please keep out of character drama to a minimum.

5. Pm me for any questions about context. Questions like, ‘Can I do this thing in this situation? Or, can I do a double back flip off this Grape Wyvern’s vine knotted tail and triple kick it in the face with my enchanted knife boot? Most likely I will say yes to most commonly reasonable suggestions. Most other things too above average or powerful will take a 1D20 roll on to determine the potency, or failure, of said action. Also questions like, ‘Can I dm my own floors as far as I want to the Orb? (I would say no, but maybe we could work something out?) Please, feel free to talk to me as I’m always open to different opinions and new ideas, so don’t feel afraid to contact me, I promise I won’t bite.

6. If you wish to craft the dangers of your own floors, be my guest! Just always run what you think would work by me first. I will be keeping a close eye as to not allow Powerplaying or God Modding however so play fair. (Looming eye of Malfurion looms unwavering at you.) No over the top win progression or PVP death unless both parties are in agreeance, and no reaching the top floor without first speaking to me.

If you want to say Godlord Malfurion asked you to come to the Tower of Yor, you can totally do that, by the way. Feel special now, you'll probably die later. :)
---
Description of Floor Levels in the short term
(For dming purposes and OOC knowledge)

A note for players to take here is to realize all of this knowledge is OOC knowledge, meaning that if your IN GAME character hasn’t gotten to a certain floor layer, then they most likely do not know what to expect. I would prefer, but not demand, that everyone playing here act as such with integrity and respect for said ruling.

1/The forest of Malfuria, a beautiful forest surrounded by exotic gardens and lavish springs, this is the starting area for those who dare challenge the Tower of Yor.

2-10/ These first ten floors aren't anything too crazy. Giant rats, kobold hordes, orcs and roving tribes of gnoll warriors, venomous serpents, and other low level affair roam the many halls and corridors of these first floors.

The tenth floor is said to be home to the legendary Rhinotaur, his labyrinth having laid claim to more than its fair share of foolhardy adventurers.

10-20/ These floors are kicking it up a notch on the difficulty dial, yet still shouldn’t be anything a seasoned mage or pious knight couldn't handle. Ravenous trolls, giant frogs, reanimated animal and human skeletons, spriggans and bow wielding centaurs, bears and the occasional jelly can be expected.

The 20th floor is home to Logarius, Watcher of the 21st Door. He wields a greatsword of draining, and his frame is deceptively fragile in appearance. Do not underestimate this elder spellsword, for he has slain many who dared walk the halls of Yor’s first layers.

20-30/ Malfurion himself would be proud, so there’s no shame in turning back mortal. Lesser elementals, sinister devils of all sorts, djinns and imps, packs of komodo dragons, and all manner of other dangerous animals and flora stalk this particular floor set. A notable plant to watch out for is the highly corrosive Yorb Yorb plant. Not only is it physically acidic, it has the ability to spit concentrated balls of air that upon impact can cause fairly significant damage, similar to small arms fire. If you hear their signature ‘Yorb Yorb’ cry, get down!

The 30th floor is home to the Queen Yorb Yorb plant. It’s ability to hyper oxygenate the blood of those within it’s field of aura is usually quite fatal. You will most likely need to use your head to overcome this particularly nasty obstacle.

30-40/ Malfurion is no longer impressed. He’s annoyed. From hence forth, this is no longer a game for anyone except the rugged and strong willed, the God Lord demands it!! Aggressive phantoms, horrendous ghouls and zombie beasts, low tier demons, naga mages and their slithering kin, hungry werewolves, and fiends of all types can be found in large volume all through each floor here.

The 40th floor echoes the roar of the mythical Romanticore. The face of a sexy, sexy man, the body of a giant very taut tiger, and the tail of a scorpion covered in barbed spikes define this beast’s main characteristics. Be forewarned, for its barbs contain a toxin of charming that renders it’s victim’s slaves under the Romanticore’s most basic will: To Kill those who dare to harm it’s beautiful face!

40-50/ This particular set of floors separates the weak from the soon to be legendary (or dead). Bloodthirsty giants, roaming drakes and harpies, merfolk and their siren lovers, two headed ogres wielding clubs and dead animals, packs of hell hounds, wargs, and the occasional basilisk claim home to these floors.

The 50th floor opens to a desert plain. Here stands the Chaos Knight Illiad, and he has not known defeat in centuries. Lithe in form and layered over in black dragon armor, he wields a mythril double sword capable of banishing foes to the Blind Eternities at random. The sand here is, well sand, and walking on this terrain without aid or flight of some kind can often prove detrimental to one’s footing as well as their life, given Illiad seems to walk upon the sand like a dancer to a stage. Only the brave or stupid would dare come this far just to face their death. Be prepared for an arduous battle, for certain.

50-60/Wait, you or your collective party defeated Illiad? Blasphemy! Malfurion damns this set of floors with roaming packs of mutated horrors and necrotic hellspawn! Chittering otherworldly insects the size of tanks and smaller live all through the walls throughout every floor of this set. Horrendous, symbiotic masses of undead heroes and slain beasts stagger around looking for more heroes to kill to add to their necromantic bulk, toenail golems and flesh golems alike usually following in their slime coated wake. Hulking balrogs wielding whips of speaking fire are said to slumber amongst the undead here as well, so best to keep one’s wits if they wish to survive this stage in the Tower.

Radiant light shines through halls leading up to the 60th floor’s titanium latched double doorway, and upon entrance one is blinded momentarily by holy light beyond mortal reckoning. The light will fade inward towards the shape of a woman dual wielding two flails of chaotic sunlight, her six wings of holy light nearly touching the room's high walled ceiling. You now face Ash-Ryel, fallen angel of Derza, and guardian of the 60th floor.

60-70/How dare you contend to take the orb, let alone slay Malfurion’s prisoner Ash-Ryel. Malfurion does not take kindly to losing his pets…

This floor set features creatures of torment and undeniable damnation exclusively, making it one of the deadliest set of floors in the tower. Be forewarned, if you roll a 1 on a damnation check,( which honestly are few and far between) you will take heavy damage, negative mutation that may or may not become permanent. All mutations of course can, eventually, be removed.

The 70th floor is home to a unique challenge. Several starspawns, gelationous masses of miniature celestial bodies, quiver in a huddled mass within the middle of the room. It seems delighted that you’re here, it’s violent undulations obviously of joy. Or is it something else?

70-80/This floor is dominated by the Rhakshasa. They are demons in the form of a tiger who comes to the material world in search of power and knowledge. Rakshasas are experts in the art of illusion, and are simultaneously intelligent and cruel. They have tribes that dominate every floor of this set, there Khan the master of the 80th floor.

One is faced with riches unbound upon entering the 80th floor’s gem ladened archway. Ichor stained gold, armor, and weapons beyond number are piled upon the walls and floor of this immense chamber. Blood and sinewy covers most everything in this room, the stench of death and godless ritual ripe on the air. Sleeping atop a mountainous pile of gold and jewels in the center of the room, Sarkhal does not stir. Deep below the golden seas surface, giant sharks culminated of sapphires and ruby stalk it’s gilded depths, waiting for tremors from above to make their move. If you can brave the blood soaked sea of gold to Sarkhal’s mountain, he will rise and attempt to grant you audience to a swift, fitting end.

80-90/ This set of floors is always different, and always unpredictable. It could be smooth sailing, or it could be as hard if not more difficult than obtaining the Orb itself! You’ve been warned.

The 90th floor is a crashing wave of nonsensical angles and colors. At it’s center lies the false Orb of KazoT, ruled over by the Pandamonium Lord Quezila. A head of shivering cubes mounted on a towering body of an upright goat, his wings beat a rhythm of madness that forces those under its sway to dance uncontrollably. His hot moves are beyond the comprehension of mortal man. Turn back or be lost to the eldritch funk forever!!

90-100/ Only those who walk among the elite could ever hope of reaching the 90th floor, yet to ascend to the orb itself? Names forgotten and untold loom these silent halls of shadowed darkness, and those who trifle with the 90th floor up are unlikely to return with their lives. Avatars of ancient gods and their cultists, Iron titans, dragons of all kinds, ancient liches, eldritch pharaohs, embodiments of Death, Killer Clowns from other dimensions, titanic slime creatures, and anything else imaginable rule over all that is the 90-100 floor set.

100- Orb of Tozak (and most likely your inevitable demise)

The Orb of Tozak. The image in your mind that has both assailed and allured you since you took your very first steps into this realm. Nothing is known of what guards the Orb’s chamber for no one has ever reached the top, and very little is actually known of the Orb’s properties except that once it is grabbed teleportation is disabled and the God Lord Malfurion will immediately summon demons to go and stop you from escaping. This is known as the Orb Run phase, and if someone ever gets this far an explanation of the next set of circumstances will be given in full.

What is the Orb, and why do I want it?

A common question is, why am I going after this orb! The orb itself is an enigma, but what can be said of it is that, regardless of character alignment, those who touch the orb will gain the servitude of all beings within the Tower say for the demons directly under Malfurion’s control, and, if one can make it to the bottom floor, a single wish will be granted from the God Lord Malfurion himself. If you refuse the God’s request, the power to craft a relic worthy item is within your hands. It allows several smaller wishes of it’s own, but where they come from and who speaks the names within it’s curve are never guaranteed to be safe. That being said, many are after the orb for the thrill of attaining such an infamous item of magical prowess, but many others have their own, inner motives…

What is yours?

A Brief History Lesson on God Lord Malfurion

Aeons ago...

Having lost his way from the rest of his traveling party, the once man Malfurion found himself laid out under the shade of two monolithic statues, worn to his limit from weathering the desert’s heat for several weeks alone. Through sheer will alone, Malfurion rose shakily, and faced the giant statues. They were upon closer inspection depictions of warriors wielding two handed swords. They were carved from what looked to be sandstone, and each stood at over several hundred feet in height. They stood opposite one another, as if guarding the lands at their monolithic backs from any who dared trespass beyond their ruined frames.

Lost of any way to go but forward, Malfurion wandered his way into the borders of the eldritch city, unknowing of the ancient seals he broke as his feet crossed into its warded grounds. Immediately, the wind picked up, and a massive sandstorm manifested that threatened to tear him away if he didn’t find cover quickly enough. Forced to brave the city’s inner workings as sand ripped away at his flesh and vision, he was driven deep into the darkness of one particular keep. No matter his struggle, the storm would not allow him to leave the strange building's entryway, an eerily sentient nature taken to it's forceful, but purposeful gales.

With nothing to gain but a swift death on the outside, the faded Malfurion wandered bravely into the darkness, his feet quickly finding the familiar slant of a spiraling stairwell. Wandering blindly down its winding body, he followed along frosted walls until his body grew pleasantly numb. Voices came to Malfurion from low within the fathomless steps, some familiar and warm, others naked and frightening. He lurked the heavy soundless darkness for what felt like an eternity, whispering and crying in the cold until all grew numb but the voices as they dragged him down into their midst.

Down in the abyss of the world, there were those who ruled in the churning center of its formless mass. Each that was the Nothing held knowledge that was called truth, and they traded such meager things such as souls and the lives of their future kin for far grander things then any love or mercy could ever provide. They promised with screaming, cooing tones to Malfurion, many like his friends, a few like his hated enemies, and one like himself, warbling of spirit and hopelessly lost amongst the frosted stone and the dreaded deep. He lost the sound of his own voice, and once he grew old in the ways of Nothing, he was emptied of his soul fully, a husk of his former self.

A wraith named Malfurion wavered into glimmering starlight, and the Orb of Tozak chose it's newest host.
---

Weeeeee! I have my character! Let me know if I should change anything :)

Name: Lord Marcus Payne
Description: 6ft 3, 230 lbs, muscular build, athletic, and fit for his age. Once had brown hair and a brown beard, but now it is shot through with silver and gray hairs. Brown eyes and weathered face, with wrinkles and crow's feet on forehead and around eyes and mouth, kind eyes. He wears etched steel armor plates with leather panels along the sides/leg and arm joints, steel greaves/gauntlets, leather boots, and a steel cap with a sheet of mail protecting the neck. His weapons consist of a large two-handed greatsword slung across his back, and a long knife and flail on his belt. The armor is rather heavy so his mobility will be impeded, but he can take off armor pieces and leave them behind if needed.

Bio: Lord Marcus was a high lord in the Ainuisean Empire, until he was stripped of his rank by the Tyrannical Demon Lord Akoman Gathas. Akoman sent Marcus into exile for taking charge of King Depraysie's armies during the Demon Revolt. If Lord Marcus ever wishes to see his family again, he is to bring the Orb back to King Akoman, or face permanent exile in the Outer Lands. However, unbeknownst to Marcus, the demon Akoman has cast a blood hex on Marcus that will prevent him from using the Orb for himself.

Personality: Marcus is a man of duty, honor, and loyalty- He served King Depraysie faithfully until the King's final breath. Marcus has a wife and two children, Lady Catherine Payne and his young daughters Lillith and Rosalina. Marcus loves his family greatly and is loved and respected by lord and peasant alike in the Empire- Many were outraged and saddened by his exile. Marcus is a highly renowned warrior and military commander, and skillful with most weapons, however, he is most known for using the greatsword. Marcus has many years of military experience, having joined the army at age 15. Steady and levelheaded, he has a good sense of intuition and is a logical thinker rather than being spontaneous or rash.

Hey, I'm gonna give you two-three party members to help out. Not that they hold any real allegiance to you, but they are essentially going to try and climb with you as far as they can. Just a little nudge up; going it alone is extremely difficult. I have run this tower in other threads, and no single person has ever made it alone.

Only a party of six individual players working as one group did it, although they got very lucky a few times. It's not that it's impossible, it's just that around the 60-70 floor set, things start getting...

Tricky. It takes more then a sword slash or a bash from a club to defeat the enemies higher then 50. I will however be lenient, and mostly role with narrative style combat until the higher levels where I will begin making rolls for things.

Until then, let's make this something worth reading, aye? :)

Hey, I haven't heard from you in a few days, are you sick or busy or something? Don't worry it's all cool, I was just curious. Thanks!

...Do you not know how to check threads? No offense, honestly, but after your most latest post I responded within minutes. The post is on the second page of the roleplay, and is dated monday. Sometimes, if you aren't getting updates, you may have to do your own investigating I guess.

That's on you however. I was about 30 minutes away from having Malfurion complete his motion and kill your character, honestly lol...

Good thing you're here now.

Hey, do me a favor. Say everything you need to say in one, collected post. This isn't a chat box, it's a thread ya know? I'd prefer there not be spam post for every little sentence. It's only common RP OOC forum, or otherwise, courtesy and knowledge. :)

Name: James Undercut
Description: James is 5'9" and around 160 lbs, being a very lightweight and smaller male. He's got dashing looks, with a golden hair and a lovely face with a good smile. He wears light leather amor, and carries quiet a few tricks up his sleeves, including smoke screens, fuse bombs, and tons of throwing knives.
Bio: James was raised in a poor family and was already stealing things in his earlier years. He was a handomse rogue, using his charisma and speed to get away with what he did. His life of stealing was a good trade for James, learning to be quick on his feet and skilled in trickery would one day aid him in his ultimate quest to steal the Orb of Tozak.
Personality: James is a young, irrational adult who acts more like a kid, with his up in your face attitude and overconfidence in himself. He is dashing and rogueish, and is very charismatic. He likes to rush things though, and due to his love for living quickly, James can be quiet annoying when others want to take things slow. James has also shown an unusual amount of willpower, and is unlikely to give up until what he wants is done.

Back