Triteia Station

Jag

Nexus GM
IC area for action mainly occurring in areas other than Commons/Crew Quarters pods of Triteia Station. All posts should begin with:

Character Name
Location in Station

Ops

In the Ops Center, a large message flashed continually -- ALERT -- ELEVATOR AT SURFACE STATION. There was no cause for concern, but the system was designed to constantly remind the staff that the main way to get on and off the station was unavailable. Otherwise, everything else was in standard order. Its seal trials completed, Triteia Station was ready to receive its full compliment and begin the work of Project Osiris.

Character Name Ellie Reinhardt
Location in Station
Infirmary

If the government had hoped to have a tidy doctor on board for this endeavor, they missed the mark a bit. Ellie wasn't exactly a slob by any means, but.. With papers scattered on desks and tables, a couple of half abandoned coffee mugs, and a few cute octopus plushies that were all the rage for every anime/manga fan out there right now, you couldn't exactly call her neat.

The olive skinned woman sat slouched in her chair, staring up at the ceiling and spinning around in the chair she'd been given. Having been on the station before the rest because there was crew sent here ahead of the scientists, she already knew the ropes here. And she was absolutely bored.

Never mind the fact she'd forgotten she was supposed to meet all the newbies today and run tests on everyone that enters. "I swear time stands still when you can't see the sun anymore.." She muttered to herself.

Juno O’Sullivan
Ops

She looked down at her watch, still early morning and not sure if the rest of the crew was awaking soon. Juno spared few minutes to making a breakfast smoothie that contained coffee, oats, and maple blended to make a brown, thick mixture. If Imani saw her drinking this now, she’d likely chide her for not having a proper breakfast. She knew how the Cook was adamant about eating healthy and not in short, quick bites. Juno grown accustomed to the Caribbean woman’s remarks on her choice of drinking smoothies when she didn’t feel like sitting down and eating with the rest of the crew. However, whenever she did sit down and find herself eating with the others, she found the atmosphere to her liking despite the humor she’d never be able to get.

Nothing needed to improve, everything’s going well with the station. Juno just wanted to triple-check again. The monitors in Ops were all green-lit meaning nothing was breaking down, nothing was out of working order. And despite Navarro’s expressed order to leave everything be, she couldn’t help herself. The crew she’s come to know and get along well with undersea, expressed their own opinions of the thirty-three-year-old taking things way too seriously. Not that she needed their opinions to know how serious she was. Juno let her own opinions be known about them as well. She could only hope fresh faces wouldn’t take her words as being offended.

The only person she seems to not get along with was Andy. It’s like they have a mini-rivalry going, but for whatever reason than her choice of words. The Oceanographer, who grew up away from the Mainland, was always teasing her for using words like, “Pop” or “Ope”—instead of what he used. It horrified her when he mentioned he never tried Puppy Chow, a staple food of where she came from. Andy might as well be from another planet if he didn’t know what puppy chow was. Other than that, she could admit that she got along with him.

Juno sipped from the steel straw in her cup, the brown smoothie giving her a kick in the ‘wake up’ department. The “Mechanic” sat in one of the chairs in Ops, she figured she may as well stick around here, in case of an emergency. If anyone needed her, they could just ping for her, though unlikely to happen since she was just a simple Engineer to make sure the station wasn’t bleeding or dying, in a metaphorical sense. While she drank her breakfast, she kept looking at the old Vulcain cricket watch around her right wrist, the ticking second hand moving around the clock. If there was one material object that meant a lot to her, it was this old vintage alarm watch. Engraved on the backside was a phrase in Gaelic, Tá mo chroí istigh ionat, signed by the letter O. The watch belonged to her mother’s parents who were both long gone now. Juno was likely the most boring person compared to the rest of the crew; her room was bland, everything was the same as the same day she moved in - aside from the books. The Irish-American always lived frugal, she found it better than to contribute to the 30% waste coming from the very country she was raised in.

Juno wasn’t used to not doing anything now that the sea trials were up. Sitting in silence and ticks of the station working, she opted to read while she could. Figured she could enjoy the calm before the storm came rolling in, along with the Director, who would likely bring back some seasick researchers. Until then, she would remain sitting in Ops, biding her time and check her watch towards countdown.

Last edited:
Marcos Navarro / John Serrin
Surface Access

"...so not having a real day/night cycle takes some getting used to," Marcos explained to the group as they descended in the cramped quarters of the elevator. Bench seating with safety belts around the outside and a large control terminal at which he stood with barely enough head clearance. "Aboard subs in the Navy, the crew essentially ran on eighteen-hour days with three rotating six-hour shifts, but as officers we had to keep to a normal twenty-hour day. It...got a little confusing sometimes. Same thing on the Station -- when you can't see the run rise or set to tell you when to go to bed, it can get disorienting."

The elevator groaned and creaked more as they descended deeper below the ocean, every foot adding thousands of gallons of water above them and the pressure increasing exponentially every passing moment. No windows to the outside, but a digital display showed a reference point for the surface, the station, and their moving capsule between.​
"Triteia, this is the elevator module," he said with the flip of a small switch on the control panel. "Prepare for docking and seal pressurization." His laid-back attitude and small conversation immediately transformed into concise speech and mechanical, precise movements. The display showed the elevator almost touching the representation of the station on the display now along with their final depth in feet. "Hope someone's in Ops listening."​
15,900 feet.
"That's just over three miles," Serrin marked dryly out loud to the research team. The man had been largely silent until now, avoiding small talk. "Deeper than the wrecks of both the Titanic and Bismarck."

"And the real rub is the Station is about halfway up the Trench," Navarro piped in. "The true bottom -- you've probably heard of Challenger Deep, is right at 7 miles. That's where all your special little friends live and our automated recovery drones go scoop 'em up for you."

Suddenly, the way a loud metallic crack, like the burst of a cannon, followed by the rumbling of their entire world of the elevator and a series of smaller but still echoing pops.

"Pressurization," Navarro explained.

Within five minutes, Navarro pulled the wall switch and the hatch manually opened. "Welcome home. Dr. Reinhardt is gonna want to give everyone a quick look-over before we give you the full tour and hopefully let you get to know everyone over lunch," he explained, gesturing out into the Surface Access Pod.

Ellie Reinhardt
Surface Access

Ellie straightened her white lab coat for what seemed the millionth time. She was standing there with her little mobile station, just waiting for the elevator to open. This was it, the morning she'd been waiting for. Or at least, she thought it was morning. She wasn't 100% sure anymore. But she'd been waiting a long time.

She gave her brightest smiles when the elevator door opened finally, suddenly butterflies in her stomach. Nervous about being several miles under the ocean? Nope. Nervous about coming face to face with new people? Most definitely. "Welcome to Triteia Station!" She greeted with a small bend at her middle, and then immediately regretted it. Why was she doing that?! No one did that! Her cheeks turned a slight shade darker before she returned her attention back to the members who had just arrived. "I need you to form a line, please. Everyone is to be checked who just came from the surface-- Yes that also includes you two as well." She looked at both John and Marcos.

"I'll need to check your general physical health, as well start recording your vitals down here. You'll need to report to me at least once a day for about 10 minutes to get your vitals checked. Its mandatory." She grinned and pulled out a very very long rectal thermometer. "If I don't see you, I'll be forced to come find you and well.. Let's just make it easier for you." She gave an impish grin to the rest of the group.

She pushed her cart to a small area, her octopus plush bobbing on a hook from an IV line. "Who's first?"

Maxwell Yoel Judah
Surface Access

Maxwell made a face at the sight of the rectal thermometer, one that could only be described as a cross between panic and terror. He raised a hand like a child in school looking to ask their teacher a question. "That thing," he pointed at the thermometer Ellie was holding, "For show, yeah? And, it's going where?" He asked the doctor.

The young scientist looked towards the other new arrivals, hoping he wasn't the only one who had a few reservations about what their physicals would consist of.

"I mean, what happened to 'turn your head and cough', you know?" Maxwell joked, trying to both ease his own nervous and endear himself a bit more to the people he'd be working side by side with for a very long time.

Juno O’Sullivan
Ops

Juno had her legs propped up on the controls, the slight space that acted as a desk were as far as they could reach. For an engineer, she found it as an advantage in case she had to do maintenance in parts of the station not reachable by someone taller or larger. Her book was propped up against her thighs, Juno figured she could brush up on circuit theory. Aside from the station working and her humming, it was eerily quiet. As the only personnel up in Ops, it made her forget others were in the same underwater tin box.

“Triteia, this is the elevator module.” Navarro’s voice came over the silence. It startled Juno, dropping her book to the floor. “Prepare for docking and seal pressurization.” Muttering words of Gaelic, she swiped the literature off the ground and placed it on the counter. Emptying the rest of her smoothie, she went to work on docking procedures, “Hope someone’s in Ops listening.” She heard the Director. The screen was flashing the elevator’s return from the surface.

Finally arriving at the station, Juno made sure it were locked in place before green-lighting it to open. The monitor displayed the elevator’s doors opening. She looked to the cameras on the other monitor, seeing the faces of the researchers spill out into the Surface Access Pod. She felt a twinge of pity for the tall guy who looked like his head nearly hit the ceiling. Working in a cramped space would not bode well for him. She grabbed her portable radio and spoke over the static, “Everything’s smooth up here, Marcos.” Juno said, letting her hand up off the side button. It was just to alert the Director that nothing had gone wrong in the docking procedures.

Sebastian Lider
Surface Access

Here it was, the first big hurdling block that Sebastian had to navigate in order to survive - the medical examinations. However, if there was one thing that Sebastian was good at, it was obsessing over a tiny detail and preparing in excess, so he had of course researched into every possible facet of health checkups and practised in several GP practices for advice.

He eyed up the rectal thermometer, it was this that posed the most challenge in his training, however, this thermometer seemed at least a bit thinner than the practice ones given by his doctor to his relief, albeit longer and for some reason sharper, though he attributed this as a delusion conjured by his nervous mind.

"I mean, what happened to 'turn your head and cough', you know?" said one of his colleagues, Sebastian took a few seconds to place him as Maxwell. It seemed he has also done some research, Sebastian thought to himself, completely missing the joke and taking it seriously simply due to his own revision. "Ah, well, the cough helps with initial entry, but my mantra is 'bend and breathe' for the rest of it." Sebastian remarked, giving what he thought was solid advice. It would be better to get it over and done with as soon as possible so he followed this by raising his hand to volunteer. "I guess I'll go ahead first, but I might need to limber up a bit first".

Sebastian then began to stretch his body in the manner one may do before going for an intense gym session.

Delilah Hopkins
Surface Access

Oh goodie. They had only just arrived, and it seemed they'd be getting far more acquainted with each other far too soon, judging by the huge-ass thermometer causing the new arrivals internal strife. Delilah held a poker face, but inside she was definitely feeling some type of way. Not a good way.
The woman conducting the examinations was sweet, though. Save for the unsettling grin made to strike fear into the delinquents who dared to avoid her.

Delilah decided to settle for looking around the Station to feign obliviousness, in hopes that there would be at least a person or more before her. The station was everything she expected: but still managed to intrigue her.

"Oh no. First spot was taken already- A shame."
Delilah caught Maxwell's eye and made a face one could only describe as 'yikes'. Not being well versed in sarcasm, a lot of her humor came through as dull sarcasm. A+ for effort though.

Surface Access

Marcos did everything he could to keep a straight face as he stood back against the hatchway with the newly-arrived members of the Research Team confronted by Dr. Reinhardt and her warm welcome to the Station. It was a good first moment to see reactions and how personalities meshed, how certain unique senses of humor would be received in a world where there wasn't a lot of personal space or opportunities to avoid someone that didn't sit well with another. They were going to have to learn to get along or get over it, fast.

"Don't worry, Doc, anybody gets sick we'll just lock them in one of the lab freezers until our new arrivals find a cure for...everything, I guess," the former submariner called out over their shoulders with a smirk, despite the fact that he was already rolling up his sleeve as a volunteer.

"All kidding aside, it's actually pretty important that everyone check in," he explained as he crossed the room and joined Ellie. "Confined space and recycled air means that if someone gets sick down here and doesn't take care of it, you could knock everybody off the line in a few days. TLI wouldn't see as much of a return on its investment, would it Mr. Serrin?"

The thin man remained at the back of the group, forcing the slightest of polite smiles in response.

"I'm sure the company has the greatest confidence in both our doctor's abilities as well as the professionalism of entire staff," he responded.​

Theo Tu'uao
Surface Access
"There's next to no risk of infectious disease in this kind of isolated environment right?" Ted chimed in, finding his deep voice reverberated in quite a satisfying way in the closed metallic interior. Nice accoustics down here, the others might catch him singing in these conditions. He was entirely unconcerned with medical checkups of course. As evidenced quite plainly by the way he filled out his shirt and pants, he wasn't exactly unhealthy.
His expression was soft - he always liked introductions, and he was sure he'd get along well with everyone currently present, and assumed there were some not in this room who he'd probably get along with too. Looking around though, he began to worry that he could develop claustrophobia in the tight conditions..

Ellie Reinhardt
Surface Access

Ellie gave a soft, airy laugh. "Oh well, where do you think this goes?" She directed at Maxwell. "Easy there, Tiger. We don't need a full physical. You had that when you applied for the position. I need to take simple vitals, including your blood pressure so if you continue your partial warm up, you're going to skew the results." She said as she focused on Sebastian next. "Fortunately for you, I'm not using this on you today." She emphasized, before putting the over sized rectal thermometer away and pulling out a touch thermometer.

"To answer your question.." She started by taking Sebastian's temperature, sliding the thermometer over his forehead in a slow motion as it beeped. ".. It is my job to make sure infectious diseases can enter this environment. Unfortunately, as Mr. Navarro has pointed out, if we do have something brought from the surface, it would only be a matter of time before it infects everyone if I do not contain it fast enough. This is why your daily check-ins are so important." She stressed, writing down Sebastian's vitals down as she went along with the exam. As Marcos was next, she checked him as well, and then went through the line until she took down the records of everyone who came from the surface.

"I cannot stress this enough." The plump woman turned to new arrivals, her kindly face turning quite serious. "If you feel off, if you think you're getting sick, or if you dreamed that you had the flu, I don't care. You report it to me immediately. You and everyone else in this station are my responsibility to take care of while you are here for research. Set your watches for 24 hour notices from now to come see me. With no view of the sun or moon, it is nearly impossible to keep track of time without alarms. If I do not see you after the 24 hour mark, I will need to quarantine you. Repeat offenses will end up with you losing your position here on this station and an immediate trip back to the surface. Do I make myself clear?

Maxwell Yoel Judah
Surface Access

"Bend and breathe? I'll be sure to keep that in mind." Maxwell told Sebastian with a slight chuckle, relieved that the he wouldn't have to use that method to get through his examination today. He was worried about any scenario where the bigger thermometer would have to come into play. What would even lead to that? He shuddered at the hypotheticals he came up with in his head.

"Crystal." He said to Ellie, moving to set his watch as instructed. Keeping track of time was important to him, and evidently everyone else. Maxwell liked knowing when the sun was supposed to be up, when it was supposed to be down.

It was a lot easier to start your day when you knew it was day.

Surface Access

Once Serrin was finished with his vitals check, he slid around to the hatchway leading down.​
"I believe I'll retired to my quarters for now," he spoke matter-of-factly.​
"We were planning to get everyone together in our Commons for a bit, but after someone can show yo--" the pilot was interrupted.​
"No need, Mr. Navarro. I've been studying the schematics of this station since before any of you were attached to the project. I'm confident in my ability to find my way and you'll forgive me if I'm not interested in icebreaker games or corporate team-building exercises." The gaunt man promptly excused himself. The pilot slowly closed his mouth and crossed his arms, leaning against the elevator hatchway.​

Delilah Hopkins
Surface access

Delilah could have guessed health would be one of the most important things to keep track of. It wouldn't be too great if everyone caught the flu. Or something worse. Eugh, being trapped down here with anything like that made her feel queazy. Nodding along with what Ellie was saying, with a soft 'mhm', Delilah set the 24-hour alarm soon after it was mentioned. She didn't want to be quarantined- And she sure as hell didn't want to lose her place here.

Save for some banter, she felt comfortable enough to keep her mouth shut for now. She appreciated the effort everyone made to establish themselves as approachable, even if she, well, didn't. Or rather, almost everyone. Delilah couldn't help the scowl of disdain at Mr. Serrin for slipping away early. Confident or not, it only seemed polite to stick around for the rest of the tour.

Feeling a little sympathetic for their pilot, Delilah tried her best at an amusing comment.
"Heh, his loss. I'm sure the icebreaker games'll be a hoot."

Sebastian Lider
Surface Access

Years of academy training wasted... or well, a few months of practice. Sebastian synchronised his watch.

"Ah, well it's nice to know we have a capable medic on board." Sebastian said, though he hoped his warm up wouldn't be wasted when he heard 'icebreaker games', which was a prospect that he was entirely excited about. What better way to improve (or destroy) team relations than a good group game? In fact, there was a whole section dedicated to what to do in times of boredom in chapter 12 of his The Survival Guide - How to deal with being stuck with work colleges in an enclosed environment. Mr Serrin seemed like bit of a dick, but Sebastian assumed that he would eventually open up to the rest of the group in enough time.

"We definitely need to do some ice breaker games, so let's get the introductions with the rest of the crew done asap." Sebastian chirped, evidentally excited by the prospect of games.

Last edited:
Theo Tu'uao
Surface Access

Theo slowly shook his head as he retrieved his phone from his pocket. It lost signal long before even reaching the elevator so it was practically just a PDA now, but that should be fine. He set an alarm for now to cycle until he turned it off to give himself a 24 hour loop and promptly returned it.
He hummed and grimaced slightly as he twisted at the waist to make his spine crack. "Yes, let's find out how much a polar bear weighs." He paused. "Wait, no, that's not right." He thought for a moment.. "Oh, yeah. How much does a polar bear weigh?"

Teddy leaned back in the rolling chair and stretched his arms above his head, sprawling his large frame from its cramped and uncomfortable hunched position over a microscope for the last few minutes. Life on Triteia Station had been a difficult adjustment for the man who was accustomed to fresh air and, above air, space to move around freely. It didn't help that the research was starting incredibly slow.​
"Delilah, I think we've probably got a bit before the next round of samples comes up. How's what we already have holding up in cold storage?" He was learning to work with the lab assistant, her personality certainly not the most warm and welcoming soul on the Station. Still, she'd proven herself incredibly competent and there was no way the lab would already be up and working without her. Teddy hadn't yet found someone he couldn't get along with, and this was proving no different.​
"Might want to call Sebastian over in Lab 1, see if he's faring any better," Teddy suggested. "Worst to worst he can join us for a cup of coffee and compare notes," the marine researcher said with a shrug, beginning to fiddle with the coffee maker in the corner of the lab.​

John Serrin
Infirmary

Three knocks on the open hatchway door announced a presence already betrayed by sharp steps coming down the hallway.

"Doctor?" John Serrin ducked his head around the hatch to find the infirmary. In the three days since they'd arrived on the Station, he'd already been to see Dr. Reinhardt twice. If the good doctor was tasked with the health and safety of the crew, the corporate agent aboard seemed obsessed with it. He'd had lots of questions, wanted to observe files and test results for himself, generally making himself a very polite pain in the ass within seventy-two hours.​

Back