"Truck Month" - A story idea I had

Capri

dune agenda
I rested my head on the back of my chair. It was 1:00 AM, I had woken up early to head to work later at 3:00. It was dark, I can’t handle bright lights this early in the morning.

I was holding the television remote, flicking through stations. Commercials, commercials, some shitty sitcom, more commercials, commercials, infomercials, ah! Finally, some news. There’s barely anything on at this time of night that I’m interested in. I set down the remote and sip some coffee. I hate the taste, way too bitter, even with sugar, but it damn well wakes me up.

I paid attention to the story in anticipation of the weather, but it was about to enter the commercial break.

Coming up, an investigation into the recent rise in pedestrian deaths, and also coming up President Trump speaks out about the recent e-cigarette ban. Also, stay tuned for that weather, we’ll be right back.

My interest died down a little, they don’t show the stories they promote right after the advertisements, so I just sighed and looked out the window.

An advertisement came up on the screen.

It's Truck Month! All month long Trucks! Zero dollars down! Zero! No dollar no Truck! It's Truck Month! Everyone must go! We must Truck! Truck Month! Truck along in this brand new Truck!

I couldn't stop watching the ad, no matter what I tried to do. My palms started to sweat profusely, my breath shortening. I don't know why this ad about Trucks freaked me out so much but it did. Something was not right. The pictures on the screen were of trucks being driven, and carrying heavy-duty loads, it wasn't out of the ordinary but something was off.

After a short while, the ad started to get weirder.

Trucks! We'll take care of you in no time! Love the truck, worship the truck, love the truck. Holy truck. Truck month! Truck! Truck month!

The ad started showing traffic footage of car crashes, trucks being worshipped by hooded men, a little girl running away from the truck. It wasn't too graphic but, I mean, what is this?

It started to chant "Truck Month" over and over and over again. I stand up without thinking, my feet moving before my mind could process. I was walking out the door.

I couldn't stop. I was far away from the television but I could still hear "Truck Month" being chanted at me. I stood out in the middle of the street. I was chanting "truck month, truck month, truck month". I saw lights coming at me, a truck.

I saw nothing after that, nothing at all.

Nothing but the blissful silence of the void.

Back