Twisted love

DatLoser

Jack Miller sat up in his bed and groaned, shifting himself to the edge and sitting there for a second, he brushed his long, brown hair out of his eyes and stretched, yawning loudly.
"Damn... What time is it?" He whispered to himself and reached for his phone.
"11am." He affirmed, putting it back down again and standing up. He quickly changed into new clothes.
"28th of October. Few months since I broke up with her." He winced, walking over to his bedside table and opening a drawer, he looked at a photo of him and a girl and reached in to remove it. He reached in again and grabbed a lighter.
"The last string of attachment." He said, gazing at the photo in his left hand. He held it above the lighter and clicked the light on, searing the edges of it a little.
He opened his window and leaned out, allowing the ash from the now burning photo to land on the roof slates and, smouldering a little before coming to a stop in a grey pile.
He smiled, satisfied by his work and went down to the living room.

Once he got to the living room, he took a Red Bull from the fridge and left the house, mentally steeling himself for the day ahead.
He walked down the somewhat quiet streets, sipping his Red Bull as he went along, noticing a few people on the way. He was shy and tried to stay across the street from anybody else. His life had become somewhat odd lately, he had no friends, he'd left his girlfriend for a stupid reason and as a result he lost his friends.
It was insane, he hadn't spoken meaningfully to anybody in months, but he was sure that he'd seen his ex girlfriend around town lately, watching him go through with errands.

Alicia knelt in the bushes that grew near Jack’s house, watching as his window opened and he let a picture of him and her fall into an ash pile, “That’s the last thing he has of me…” She whispered to herself as she waited for him to leave his house before looking around for any people who were watching, straightening up, and following some steps behind him.

Her black hoodie hid her face as she walked and quickly snuck into the shadows any time Jack looked behind. She loved him with all of her heart, even shoved her family and friends outside of the group aside for him and their mutual friends before the breakup, only for him to break her heart.

She knew it wasn’t because he lost his feelings for her. He must’ve just been playing a game like he always did. It must’ve just been a joke, and soon, he’ll come back to her, hug her, and tell her it was all in good fun. But when he told her, he had had a serious air. When she had laughed and said he was funny as always, he said he wasn’t joking…

But he was always dedicated to his jokes, especially when it came to making her laugh, so surely it was the same as all those other times! Even if it didn’t have a punch line! Or maybe he was planning a surprise! He knew how much she loved surprises. What kind it would be, she wondered. That’s why it was a surprise.

Jack trudged through the streets, his sneakers slapping loudly off the wet, cobbled sidewalk as he went, kicking up small amounts of rain on the end of his shoes.
Some of this rain flicked onto the front of his trousers a little with each step, not really a problem to start with, but the longer he walked, the larger the puddle on his legs grew, he eventually grew tired of this and went into a cafe to warm up and hopefully evaporate some of the water.
Plus, it was a convenient excuse to get even more caffeine inside his body.

He walked up to the counter, his heart skipped a beat from his anxiety at talking to another person, but eventually he managed to choke out.
"One espresso please." He muttered, handing the employee his cash shakily.
One thing he hated more than anything in the world was talking to other people.
The employee stifled a laugh and took his money, then handed him his change.
Jack's face was instantly dyed a crimson red by the laughter and he stuffed the few coins in his pocket, then took his change and walked over to a corner, sitting in a large seat next to a radiator and sipping his espresso peacefully.

He scrolled through his phone in silence.
"I'm so unbelievably anti-social." He thought to himself, covering his eyes with his free hand from embarrassment.

She went inside just a bit after Jack went in as to not raise suspicion, and sat down after buying a latte. Sure, she could browse the internet and see what's new, but why do that when she could watch him!?

Alicia sat resting her head on her hands while staring at her ex, giddy even though she could only watch him from afar, as walking up to him and saying hi would be suspicious. At least she thought so. She was pretty sure that he had caught a few glances of her the many times she followed him, so if she tried talking to him, it would be obvious she was stalking him.

The love of her life was sitting just a few seats away from her and he didn't know it! His obliviousness was adorable. Everything about him was adorable. His dorkiness, his unbrushed hair, his freckles, everything! They were soulmates. She knew it from the moment they met in high school!

Oh, what a great day that was. She was a new student who was a shy bookworm, sat next to him in class. He was so kind that day, offering to show her around the school, to be her friend, and to introduce her to his friends! Being next to him was the greatest feeling ever! The euphoria and ecstasy that came from it was inexpressible. He stole her heart! Oh, but the day she confessed was even greater.

It was spring in senior year, and little did Jack know, she had been hiding a rose, chocolates, and a letter which let him know about her adoration for him in her backpack. Sure it was cheesy, but she had been sure it would melt his heart, and she was right! At least she thought so. And the summer after their graduation also happened to house their first kiss.

At a beach, of course, just to add to the romance. They had a whole day of fun together, with her in a cute bikini and oooohhh her goodness... The other women said that he looked weird, but they were all wrong! He was the cutest guy she could ever meet! So dorky and kind, but she was getting off-topic.

Just as they were packing up their things to go back home and the sun was setting, Jack had turned to her, taken her in his arms, and kissed her! Just like that! She could still remember the elation that she experienced when his lips touched hers.

In short, every single moment they spent together was fantastic, and nothing could ever change the fact that they were meant to be together forever.

Jack tucked his phone into his bag and pushed his bag under the table, hiding it between the wall and the chair legs and stood up, leaving to go to the bathroom.
Once in the bathroom he ran the cold tap, ice cold water gushed from the tap instantly and flicked his fingers.
"Maybe not." He said to himself and turned it off again, deciding instead to turn on the hot tap.
He washed his hands and splashed his face with the water and groaned, then checked his face in the mirror.
"Still a twat." He told himself, using his sleeve to dry his face.

He was creeped out, his skin was crawling like crazy but he couldn't figure out why.
Surely he was safe in public, especially inside, but he just felt like he was about to fall off a sheer cliff.
"Get it together." He said aloud, verbally warning himself before going to leave the bathroom. He pushed the door open gently and walked back over to his table, faking swagger in his step as he walked.

Watching Jack try to fake confidence was another thing Alicia loved! He was so bashful that seeing him try to strut and act like he thought he was everything came out as adorable to her! Oh, she couldn't stop herself any longer. She just had to talk to him! He was too cute to simply watch from afar. She needed to come up close and personal, albeit also would have to restrain her need to hug and kiss him.

With that in mind, she pushed herself up from her seat and made her way over to Jack once he was back to sitting down, "Hey, Jack! Long time no see!" She greeted, trying to make it seem like she was coincidentally at the same coffee shop as he was at the same time. She was never very good at lying or pretending about that kind of thing, but she was great at pretending that she wasn't feeling something.

Last edited:
Jack walked back to his seat and blushed almost straight away. He had embarrassed himself, if somebody had been watching that pitiful attempt at showing confidence, he was sure that they would have laughed at him. He covered one side of his face and looked to the side.
"Moron..." He whispered and reached down for his bag.

Suddenly, he heard the unmistakable screech of chair legs scraping along the floor and he looked up and to his right. His vision was almost completely obscured by the young woman in front of him.
"Huh, wha-" He started, suddenly being cut off by her greeting him.
It was Alicia. He could never forget that voice.

Jack looked up at her face and smiled, trying to be friendly.
"Hi... No kidding it's been a long time, six months?" He asked. "Not that I've been keeping track!" He laughed, rubbing his nape shyly and then turning around and pulling his bag onto his right shoulder.
"So.... What are you doing here? Never seen you here before." He asked, genuinely confused.

"Exactly six months. Today is the anniversary of our breakup if that's what you call it!" Alicia smiled, not even caring if she sounded creepy as she sat down across from him, "Just wanted coffee, and I wanted to get some from a new place! So, how have you been?" Jack was just as cute as he was when she first met him. Trying to hide that he was keeping track of the number of months had passed, hiding his face before she started to talk to him from whoever watched his attempt at a strut, clueless as ever...

Oh, it was enough to make her want to wrap him in her arms and never let go! Getting her thoughts away from that, she tried her best to seem like she didn't even care that he was playing a really long game of pretend. At least she thought he was. She was half expecting him to jump up and hug her as soon as he saw her but knew that was just dreaming. After all, he seemed to be really dedicated to the game. A surprise hug is more what she would do than him, but that digresses.

"Oh, I was sure it was more on the side of 5 months..." He said, trailing off a little as if he'd forgotten what he was going to say.
He watched her sit across from him and frowned a little.
"Listen... I've been fine. But you know we're not together Alicia. It's probably not a great idea to talk. Especially not here." He told her, looking around the cafe which seemed to be a little busier.

Jack wondered how how amazing the chances must be for the two of them to suddenly meet here, especially after he'd essentially washed his hands of anything to do with her.
"I'm not trying to be rude." He started, then stopped himself, literally biting his tongue to stop himself from saying something that definitely was rude.
He pushed out his chair a little and went to get up from the table.

"You're acting like I'm hiding a knife. Just because we're not together doesn't mean we can't be friends!" Alicia played along, leaned across the table, placed her hand on his shoulder, and pushed him back down into the chair, practically keeping him hostage at the table, "But speaking of the breakup, I was kinda wondering exactly why you did it. I've gotta admit, I've been feeling a little bummed about it, especially since you were so vague with the reason."

"I never said anything about a knife." He said bluntly, feeling her hand on his shoulder and feeling his backside hit the seat hard.
"Jeez, relax man." He whispered, taking out his phone and unlocking it quickly to try to distract himself.
He didn't look her in the eyes as she spoke.
"Alicia, we broke up because we just weren't meant to be. I told you that before." He told her, keeping his eyes trained on his phone screen in silence.

He looked away from her into the rest of the cafe, looking to see if he could walk out. It seemed like nobody had noticed the two of them.
"Listen man, it's not cool to be friends with people you've broken up with." He explained, trying again to stand up and leave.
"You already know my number, these are things you could've easily texted me."
Not exactly true, he had blocked her number six months ago.

"That's a lie." Alicia said bluntly, forcing Jack to sit back down as soon as he tried to stand up again, "We are meant to be, Adam broke up with his girlfriend last week and they still talk, and I tried to send you twenty-seven texts after you broke up with me, with thirty one more each month, one per day. I counted." Adam was one of their previously mutual friends now just Alicia's friend.

"This game has gone on for way too long. It isn't fun anymore. I know you're dedicated to games and jokes, but this joke has gone on for too long." She told him darkly, with still no one noticing. She was admittedly obsessed with him, and she didn't want to hurt him, but she would if she had to.

"Not a lie." He told her bluntly and fell back into his seat, his hands began trembling a little and his bottom lip started shaking.
"Alicia, they're friends because they're fucking probably."
He didn't even know they'd broken up. Great, another thing that was omitted from his knowledge.
He groaned and rolled his eyes, sliding down in his seat.

"This isn't a fucking game or a joke, Alicia." He said, a dead pan look on his face.
"Why the hell would I joke about this?" He asked, genuinely confused about whether or not she was serious.
"Look. I need to go, I'm so so serious."

"He has another girlfriend, and you know he stays faithful, so they're definitely not fucking. I don't know why anymore. And we're not done talking. What do you even need to do?" Alicia growled through gritted teeth. So if he wasn't joking, then why did he break up with her? She refused to believe that they weren't soulmates. Was he cheating during the relationship and just broke up with her so that she wouldn't have to deal with the pain of finding out?

Yeah, that's it. He's cared about her feelings enough to lie to her so that she wouldn't get hurt, and she's told him about how she caught her previous boyfriend right in the act, so he would definitely try not to make her deal with that pain again, even if he hurt her in another way, "Were you cheating?" She asked, "Is that it? Were you cheating and didn't want me to deal with the pain again, so you just hurt me in a lesser way?"

"Well I don't actually know any of that!" He said, starting to raise his voice a little, he was getting angry, and nervous. He needed out of this situation.
"Alicia, I am seriously leaving, you have a minute to tell me what you have to say." He said. His bottom lip was still trembling like crazy and he was close to tears hearing her growling.
Suddenly, she dropped the bombshell.

"Oh yeah, I was definitely cheating!" He shouted sarcastically, throwing his hands up in the air in defeat.
"You really are so fucking weird." He grunted, throwing a middle finger up in front of her face.
"This is why I haven't spoken to you a whole bunch lately Alicia. Plus, I was talking to another girl three months ago, it fell through, you'll be happy to know!" He told her, suddenly clenching his fists to stop the intense shaking. It didn't hide it well.

His hands were drenched in sweat at this point and he assumed she could tell he was freaked out.
"Look. The minute is off the table now. I'm leaving." He said, speaking defiantly.

Alicia almost started crying at this. He was cheating... "Who? Who the hell were you cheating with? IS IT SOMEONE I KNOW!?" She suddenly got up and slammed her hands on the table, causing his coffee to spill all over the table and all over him. Everyone was now looking at them confusedly, while she emitted a threatening growl, went around the table to stand next to Jack, and put her hands on his shoulders, "You are not leaving until you tell me who the little slut you were fucking is."

She didn't even hesitate when she was using these words. She didn't care how she looked to the public anymore. A few people looked away in fear, a few watched with pity, and a few watched with anger. Whoever the anger and pity was directed at, nobody knew and nobody cared.

Jack yelped in fear as her voice quickly filled the huge room. "I, I was joking..." He whispered, covering his face in fear of her.
"You really have to let me go." He whispered up at her, looking up with pleading eyes.
"You know me, and people are looking." He whispered again, biting his bottom lip.
He knew he shouldn't be scared of her, she was tiny compared to him, but something about her was screaming at him to run.

He tried to look behind her and saw people watching. Nobody was helping, but they sure as shit were talking about them. He was so fucking mad but he wouldn't ask them to intervene.
"Look, maybe we can take this outside?" He asked, trying to reason with her and talk her down somehow.

"What else have you been joking about? Were you joking about loving me when we first got together? Were you joking when you kissed me? Were you joking about the whole relationship? And how can I trust that you won't try to run from your problem like you ran from the relationship?" Alicia shot her questions like bullets while tears started to fill her eyes, "I want you back... I.. I need you back... Why don't you like me anymore?"

She spoke the truth when she said she needed him back. She was absolutely obsessed with him, and any time she had spent without him while he still loved her was spent either sulking or if she was at home, isolating herself from the rest of the world while trying to call or text him. She was truly oblivious to how crazy she looked. She just wanted to get an answer that she could accept. Well, she wouldn't accept any reason for him breaking up with her, she just wanted a reason.

Last edited:
"Alicia, I'm not joking, I just don't wanna be with you." He said abrasively, pushing her away gently and sliding off the seat and briskly walking towards the exit.
He slammed the door behind him and cringed, thinking he shattered the glass in the doorframe. He briskly walked away from the cafe as fast as he could.

"What the fuck just happened?" He asked himself, repeating it over and over in his head. He hunched over and started jogging away from the cafe.
"Fuck this. Going home." He whispered, walking towards his house quickly.

Alicia stood there with tears silently falling down her face, looking at the exit. Slowly, she walked back over to the table where her abandoned coffee sat, threw the drink into the trash by the exit, and left the cafe, walking away from it sadly. Suddenly, when she was half way home, she stopped, looked around, reached into her bag, and pulled out Jack's phone. Her frown gradually turned into a maniacal smile. "So... Let's see who he's still talking to..."

She resumed walking while going through his contacts, searching for any girls that he was talking to that weren't immediate family. If she got rid of the males that he still had contact with, the list was not existent which was surprising, considering that he's been away from her for six months. At least he doesn't have anyone to try and woo besides her.

Back