U.S. Presidential Term Limit

Before I start, let me get this out of the way: I do not consider myself to be a politically savvy person. I probably couldn't even tell you how a bill is made without busting out my old Schoolhouse Rock VHS. When it comes to voting, I usually stick to more local issues and typically only vote on more national matters when I feel strongly about a particular issue or candidate. Now with that out of the way, I would like to pose an idea to the community to get some feedback, hopefully from people with a bit more political know-how than myself.

It strikes me as odd that a presidential term is broken up into two four year terms. Nearing the end of their first term, the President is consumed with the reelection process and likely spends the majority of their fourth year focusing on that. In fact, it seems to me that the entirety of their first term would be more about trying to prep as much as they can to make effective changes (for better or worse) during their potential second term. Personally, I wonder if something like a single term of six years wouldn't be more effective and would allow a President to focus more on the issues they want to affect rather than having to worry about appeasing their voter base for a second term.

Maybe my specific idea isn't the best but I do think moving to a single term rather than our current two-term limit would make more sense and it would seem we could achieve more stability with six years rather than four though I guess an argument could be made for eight or some other number. Anyways, that's it. What sort of changes do you think could be made to the presidential term limit that might be more effective than what we currently have? Or maybe you think the way it is now is best... Share your thoughts.

Last edited:
Before I start, let me get this out of the way: I do not consider myself to be a politically savvy person. I probably couldn't even tell you how a bill is made without busting out my old Schoolhouse Rock VHS. When it comes to voting, I usually stick to more local issues and typically only vote on more national matters when I feel strongly about a particular issue or candidate. Now with that out of the way, I would like to pose an idea to the community to get some feedback, hopefully from people with a bit more political know-how than myself.

It strikes me as odd that a presidential term is broken up into two four year terms. Nearing the end of their first term, the President is consumed with the reelection process and likely spends the majority of their fourth year focusing on that. In fact, it seems to me that the entirety of their first term would be more about trying to prep as much as they can to make effective changes (for better or worse) during their potential second term. Personally, I wonder if something like a single term of six years wouldn't be more effective and would allow a President to focus more on the issues they want to affect rather than having to worry about appeasing their voter base for a second term.

Maybe my specific idea isn't the best but I do think moving to a single term rather than our current two-term limit would make more sense and it would seem we could achieve more stability with six years rather than four though I guess an argument could be made for eight or some other number. Anyways, that's it. What sort of changes do you think could be made to the presidential term limit that might be more effective than what we currently have? Or maybe you think the way it is now is best... Share your thoughts.
Unlimited terms used to exist but after the death of Roosevelt (who died early into his third term), it was deemed unconstitutional. Considering how stressful being the President is, having a single term of six years wouldn't be a good idea. Everyone would be dying before the fifth year is up. Also how the President spends his term is based solely on how competent he is and if he does a good job, THEN he'll get his second term. We just need more competent people in office and more political parties.

Back