Uncharted Worlds [Group][Adventure][Nation Building]

Amdarh

@Summers Mori

Warning. Warning. Impact in 15 minutes. Warning. Warning.

The metallic voice laments incessantly in the loudspeakers, making your headache all the more palatable. The flashes of red light don't help.
You painfully stand up with a groan, a hand massaging your scalp to little effect. Is there any way to make this thing stop? Wait. What is it saying? Impact?
Slowly, realisation hits you that something else might hit you soon. What, though? Where are you? Come to think of it, WHO are you? It's blank.

------------------------------------------------

What does the galaxy look like in 2359?
You tell me!

This RP would be divided in two parts.

1. Faction Building
Each player creates a major faction in the galaxy, something that has influence, clout, that can impact events stars away. It can be a cult, an empire, a corporation, you name it. It can be sentient, it can be machine, it can even be human!

2. To infinity and beyond
View attachment 1932

Each player controls a mercenary of the Black Griffin, an interstellar vessel that prawls the galaxy. It can again be anyone and anything.
You wake up from stasis with absolutely no memory of who you were and what you did. You will find out soon that each one of you had a reason to be a mercenary hiding from the law, but it will be your choice whether you will want to continue on this path or become a better person.
Together, you'll have to avoid or participate in the political intrigues of the factions you've created, explore new and strange planets, and simply stand each other as you slowly move through space.

------------------------------------------------

Faction Sheet

Resources are: Manpower; Cattle&Crops; Water; Warpium (used for the fuel); Iron (used for plasteel of ships and weapons); Plystonium (used for plasteel of ships and weapons); Aluminum (used for construction); Orlambassa (most popular drug, similar to opioids).
You can use a variation (for example, fish instead of cattle & crops), just indicate in bracket what it refers to.

Name:
Demonym
(how do your people call themselves?)
Type of organisation: (empire, republic, cult, corporation, holy order of the spaghetti monster?)
Reputation: (are you sinister, popular, terrifying, honorable...?)
Composition: (Specific races, gender, career, etc. in proportions?)
Internal policy: (a word on the hierarchy in your organisation, how you treat your personel, loyalty, etc.)
External policy: (a word on how you see foreigners, aliens, heretics, etc.)
Primary resources in excess: (choose two)
Primary resources lacking: (choose at least two)
Influence mechanisms: (military might, finances, religion, ethics, ...)
Reach of influence: (you might control a sector of the galaxy, or have temples on every planet, or...)

Character Sheet

Skills are: Athletics, Accuracy, Driving, Technology, Engineering, Eloquence, Nerves, Stealth.
You can use a variation or something more specific, just indicate in bracket what it refers to.

Name:
Appearance
: (I like images :) descriptions are nice too)
Gender, age: (do I need to explain?)
Job: (what are you supposed to do on a ship?)
Skills you're good at: (choose two)
Skills you're bad at: (choose at least two)
Favoured equipment: (it might vary upon situations and what you can get your hands on, but it gives a feel of the character)
Dislikes: (three phobias/hatred/allergies)
Bio: (this should include a murky past which has led your character to run from the law and become a mercenary. He might have been falsely accused and be a good guy, but... he might be a sith. And why did he join such a band of scum and villainy?)
Other:

Last edited:
Some questions.

1. How common are garden planets? Do people actually live on earthlike colonies, or do they all live in biodomes or something? Are garden planets common enough that people can farm for food, or is everyone living off synthesized nutrient paste?
2. How does the FTL system work? How long does interstellar travel take? Are there giant FTL installations like gateways or Mass Effect Fling Beacons? Do we have an FTL com system?
3. Are there any rare and vital resources to the functioning of society? Or are we still using the common elements?
4. How is the tech distributed, relatively speaking? Ex, Is our defence tech super advanced, with shields and near invincible armour, or is it like modern days, where everyone has access to an easy nuke button and no effective defence?

Thanks for the questions. Answers are open to debate.

1. Depending on what factions people want to play, I think quite a few non-human factions will fight for power over the galaxy. So there might be a wide variety of what people eat and how they live.
I would like the galaxy to be a wondrous and always surprising place, with garden planets, biodomes, but also hive-planets with cities sprawling over the whole crust. In some places, they'll grow their own food, and in other's they'll have to import their water through huge tankships. And players' imagination will be crucial to develop these worlds.

2. There will be Jump points that allow you to travel from one Jump point to another in a safe way. If you choose to travel without these Jump points, then... you don't know where you'll arrive. Oh, you'll arrive somewhere. Of my choosing :)
Some travels of a few weeks will be needed from Jump points to solar systems and planets. Smaller vessels will not be equipped with Jump capability.

3. I will develop a resource sheet as part of the Faction Building (probably around 8-10). Each faction will choose 2 resources it has in excess, and 2 it lacks. These resources will certainly include Manpower, as well as things like food, water, construction material, fuel and craft.

4. There are shields and defenses, but no invincible armour. I would say more like early-mid WW2, with powerful tanks, battleships, etc. but no nukes yet.

Oooh~ This looks really good! I'd love to jump into this :D

Although I have one question: Do we have to make a entirely new faction or can we take one from a fandom or something along those lines? Just curious ^^

Oh, cool! Already 4 people!
Oh, damn. Means I really got to work now :D

I'll prep a bit more the world and the sheets immediately, and come back to you asap.
Regarding your question about factions, I expect to see some known stuff. Like, feel free to import any Warhammer 40K, I can imagine the Siths and Jedis poking their heads here, the Cylons, just about any sci-fi fits in my opinion.

Regarding your question about factions, I expect to see some known stuff. Like, feel free to import any Warhammer 40K, I can imagine the Siths and Jedis poking their heads here, the Cylons, just about any sci-fi fits in my opinion.
Awesome ^^ I have a few factions in mind :p Can't wait to see how this game progresses! It really does look great :p

How about five? It'd be a race of the the fellow you see on the left. They would be hypersocial herbivorous extremeophile horticulturalists. :) [yay large college words.]

I ran some numbers on a custom planet for a homeworld though I didn't make the other planets in the system. Any problems with a super-earth garden planet around a 0-class supergiant?

Yes, it's still open, no problem.

And no issues having your little guys around.
HOWEVER, the factions should be entities that influence the course of the galaxy, where it would be reasonable to go in a random planet and find some representative or mark of its influence. So not sure for the horticulturalists? Not against, but not sure it fits. For you to see.
Nonetheless, your mercenary could be one, and they would be part of the background and one of the planet we eventually go on.

Little is subjective as that would be a low soldier and around 1.3m diameter with the legs and .6m tall. He's got lungs. The high soldier would be bigger. They'd be colonizing planets otherwise uninhabitable and starting terraforming projects. They export a lot of spare military/labor capacity as mercenaries to make money for their terraforming.

How about five? It'd be a race of the the fellow you see on the left. They would be hypersocial herbivorous extremeophile horticulturalists. :) [yay large college words.]

I ran some numbers on a custom planet for a homeworld though I didn't make the other planets in the system. Any problems with a super-earth garden planet around a 0-class supergiant?

wait, how can you be an extremeophile while being a horticulturist? Plants don't really do well in extream conditions.

Little is subjective as that would be a low soldier and around 1.3m diameter with the legs and .6m tall. He's got lungs. The high soldier would be bigger. They'd be colonizing planets otherwise uninhabitable and starting terraforming projects. They export a lot of spare military/labor capacity as mercenaries to make money for their terraforming.
All good, just wanted to make things clear.

Ok, I put a faction sheet and character sheet. Comments and feedbacks are welcome.
And all questions, of course!

I'd like to discuss a bit with you guys what factions and races you'd like to include, then I'll do an introductory history of the galaxy.

wait, how can you be an extremeophile while being a horticulturist? Plants don't really do well in extreme conditions.
horticulturalist is more a strong cultural trait that arose as a result of a planetary ecological failure subjected upon them then the brood war that severely damaged their homeworld's ecosystem on a global scale. The only creatures/plants that were left were extremely hardy and they survived the otherwise extinction level event. Ending up similarly hardy if not by virtue of the constant war over meager resources than selection by health until the current line of high matriarchs stabilized an area long enough to recover. In the process of developing tools to repair their own planet they're fairly good at rebuilding others.

Name: Astral Bio Technologies
Demonym: Ascendant (only for core members)
Type of organisation: Corporation
Composition: A company that provides the most advanced cloning and genetic modification technologies in the galaxy. They recruit from all races, and operate countless research stations along the outer rim.
Internal policy: From highest to lowest: Board of Directors, department heads, local managers, regular workers. Normal employees get all the standard benefits of working for a big corp, but important and high ranking members get a full suite of genetic modifications, effectively turning them into super-whatever their species.
External policy: Set the marketing team on them.
Primary resources in excess: Manpower, Cattle&Crops
Primary resources lacking: Plystonium, Iron
Influence mechanisms: Very rich, and their services are often required to adapt Cattle&Crops to new environments.
Reach of influence: They have a presence on every colony that can afford their products, and their research teams are always swarming over newly discovered garden worlds.

Name: Aren Weber
Appearance:
c55d87e87c46c6dc08359c83ebd96795.jpg
Gender, age: Male, 26
Job: Communications Officer
Skills you're good at: Technology, Eloquence
Skills you're bad at: Athletics, Engineering
Favoured equipment: Sniper Rifle, because why would you fight someone when you can kill him from a kilometre away?
Dislikes: risking his life, getting screwed over, physical effort.
Bio: A former smuggler/conman, Aren was hired to pretend to assassinate the son of a rich businessman. During the pretend assassination, the guy was so scared that he actually died of a heart attack. Now real assassins have been hired to hunt him down, and he needs to disappear for a while.
Other:

Faction Sheet

Name:
Bvetin Matriarchy
Demonym: Gardener
Type of organisation: Unitary Matriarchy
Reputation: Loyalist to a fault for false matriarchs but creatures of honor under their own Matriarch. The two should not meet.
Composition: 5% Matriarchs, 15% Healers, 60% Low soldiers/laborers, 10% high soldiers, 10% scouts.
Internal policy: Sustainable growth and advancement of the matriarchy
External policy: Resources to cultivate or threats to contain
Primary resources in excess: (Mercs, Hazard Labor) [Manpower], Plants and crops [Cattle&Crops]
Primary resources lacking: Warpium, Iron
Influence mechanisms: Military, Disaster Insurance (labor and limited material bonds), Nationally sponsored merc safe houses across the galaxy, major plant supplier
Reach of influence: War zone DMZ contracts, Scattered former and current hostile planets with shared-ownership terraforming contracts, Mercenary Reserve contracts

Character Sheet

Name:
Monk Nemesis
Appearance: 1.3 meters in diameter and .9 meters tall Monk is a low soldier with a mixture of heavy plates and non-newtonian subdermal layers. They have eight legs and a pair of plated mandible arms with three fingers covered in releasable brown setae on the palm. They move in short bursts with eyes that show faint blue-colored irises under their huge armored eyes. A third periodic breath is hot to human skin from a thermal lung called a Vulcan organ that breathes independent with their regular ones. The tips of each leg are a matte brown covered with a velvet fuzz of setae. The remainder of the body is a mottled dark green with a rough leathery consistency and small fringes on its cephalothorax plates that turn color when they transmit Quietus.
Gender, age: Male, 20
Job: Security, Quartermaster
Skills you're good at: Accuracy (Sniper), Engineering (weapons)
Skills you're bad at: Eloquence, Driving, Technology
Favoured equipment: clamp/leg dual stock stabilized silenced rifle.
Dislikes: Rapists, snow, lawyers
Bio: Once working for good pay with a mercenary company Monk earned his name for leaping between vehicles of a transport caravan and hitting a target at distance midway. As is bonded by Matriarch Nemesis he did every order he was given. Took down every target as he was asked telling no one of his orders. But in a dirty isolated town of indigents he was delayed by tasks to shoot their protectors arriving to the scene and found the mercs there releasing civilian witnesses the false matriarch to which he contracted ordered destroyed. Monk reported to his False Matriarch what they'd done and was given an order to pacify the team and exterminate the civilians. A bloodbath ensued to which the team lost. Over the course of several days he hunted every last civilian down. Only to report to his False Matriarch of completion and find himself disowned. Nemesis declared his contractor matriarch apostate to which Monk launched a vendetta against the apostate Matriarch. The establishment marked him wanted even as connections learned an apostate had been marked. Monk soon lost sight of his goal as the bodies mounted.
Other: Incapable of speaking audibly as Gardeners communicate through Quietus, a RF neuroform language, more akin to telepathy than english. They lack vocal chords entirely as their respiratory tracts are too reinforced to support attachments. They are capable of transmitting sound through radio but to them it's akin to singing everything. They can climb vertical surfaces that aren't dusty or wet through the setae on the lowest joint of their limbs which while pointed is flexible. Can jump vertically three times his body length but needs a moment to rest due to blood pressure loss.

Last edited:
Name: Free Planets Alliance
Demonym: Allies
Type of organisation: Democratic Organization
Reputation: Internally, they are proud of themselves, externally, they are viewed less than favorably
Composition: All of the planets who have agreed to band together. It is mostly heavily industrialized and favors technological development.
Internal policy: Each planets democratic government elects a council, chairman and general to rule over them all. The general deals in the military and the chairman deals with internal affairs.
External policy: They see themselves as defenders of the weak, and they are aggressors. Not racist, but they hold long time grudges.
Primary resources in excess: Manpower, Aluminium
Primary resources lacking: Cattle/Crops, Plystonium
Influence mechanisms: Military and technological might
Reach of influence: The control a section of the galaxy, and like to send envoys out to look out.

Name: Wang Su
Appearance:
mech_pilot_by_l3monjuic3-dasghuy.jpg
Gender, age: Female, 24
Job: Pilot/Helmsman
Skills you're good at: Driving, Technology
Skills you're bad at: Stealth, athletics
Favoured equipment: Pistol, or hand-to-hand
Dislikes: Pitch darkness, people who try and control others, over-aggression
Bio: Formerly a pilot in a fighter class craft, she began to grow uncomfortable with the missions she assigned to do. After the last straw, on one mission, she crashed herself on purpose, was presumed dead, and after getting better, she fixed her ship and fled as she could.
Other: Being a trained military officer, she was trained in physical combat, but in her accident, she hurt herself, making it less easy to perform that type of combat, due to being slightly crippled. She tries to keep in physical condition because of this, so she always wakes very early.
fox_fighter_by_lukaz7-d5z9kkz.png

Last edited:
All looking good!
I'm quite busy during week ends, I'll come back with more details as soon as I can, but the other two can already post their sheets too.

Ok, I now give the official amazing seal of approval!
@Summers Mori Only thing: for sniping a kilometre away, I would ask one Good skill to be accuracy. Otherwise, you can shoot at a good distance, just not movie sniper type (more like FPS style)
@lil_kreen Cool! Just please limit your Excess resources and Good Skills at 2 each (you can have as many bad stuff as you want :) )
Otherwise, I got a bit lost in all the Matriarch Nemesis and False Matriarchs...
@Bark Nothing to say, all good, and I'm glad to have a broad-ranging galactic organisation!

@Widowmaker @Zarek Just to know if you still plan in joining if we should start without you?
In case you join, some antagonist factions would be welcomed.

FYI, your character and faction don't have to be linked.

Ah, haha. I was just considering a few options, I've actually been meaning to PM you about one thing that's puzzling me so I'll get to that right now ^^
@Amdarh

Back