New User Unnecessarily long Intro

BookKnight

Hello! I'm BookKnight, as my username states. Wonderfully awkward start there... Anyway!

Let's see, some boring stuff about me: While I consider myself to be a friendly person and enjoy chit-chat, I'm not big into personal details. I prefer to stick to small talk and random topics like word and idiom origins and other light-hearted nonsense. I will happily talk about my pets (two cats) or my favorite tv series (original Scooby-Doo) or books (where to start), but I'd rather not get any deeper than that. I like useless knowledge and random trivia, but important information stick in my brain about as well as well-oiled peanut tossed at a dry wall with force.

On the lighter side, I have RPed for a while now, but it's been a bit. I tend to lean toward lighter RPs, though I am not opposed to deep moments or heavier plot ideas, but I'm more likely to agree to some sort of light-hearted adventure or slice of life than I am to agree to something like, I don't know, slasher mystery or introspective metal deep-dive. I'm not against them and will totally say yes if the idea appeals to me, but I only have so much energy, and the more serious the subject, the more energy it takes.

I'm a bit of a sucker for the "fish out of water" cliché, and I really like slice-of-life type RPs where unusual characters are stuck together for random reasons (like a supernatural creature and a human, two humans of the opposite gender when they expected the same gender, two supernatural types that don't get along, villain and hero...). I also really enjoy friendship stories of pretty much any kind. Romance isn't a big draw for me, but it can also be a lot of fun. I like playing around with silly stereotypes and clichés a lot. Many times, I'll create a new character specifically for the RP I'm joining, but I also have a few characters I might use to experiment with new ideas. I most enjoy open-ended RPs that can just go on and on and ramble, but am very much not opposed to an RP with a planned ending.

I'm not picky about post lengths. I think all lengths, even the one-liners, have their place, but I like a variety. If it's a fast-moving conversation between two people, one-liners are perfectly fine, but an epic fight scene or an introspective monologue definitely deserves a lot more. Also, I type a lot for my job, so I tend not to be willing to do a lot of novel-length replies. If it's for an RP that's only a couple of times a week or less, I can manage that, but not multiple a day, or even every day. Not to say I won't do them, just that it's harder, and I prefer quality over quantity.

I do my absolute best to be timely, thoughtful, and edit my posts, but, hey, mistakes happen. I cannot count the number of times I've hit the Send button only to spot a mistake right as I click. At least typos can sometimes be unintentionally hilarious. I think my biggest weakness is that when I get really excited about an RP - or really any subject - I tend to make statements instead of suggestions. For example, instead of saying, "I think it would be really cool if you're character were to do X," I say, "You/Your character should totally do X!" I mean it as a suggestion, but I can see how it can come off wrong. Also, I tend to make way too many characters and think that any lagging RP can be improved with another character. Sometimes it works. Other times, I end up with enough characters to man two football teams and a dead RP. On the other hand, I think one of my strengths is I put a lot of effort into planning out characters and making each one an individual that feels real.

My schedule for posting is a little unusual (I think?) in that I'll be most active during the mornings and afternoons most weekdays and virtually nonexistent on the weekends. Maybe the occassional latenight post if I can't sleep. I don't really like using Discord, it's just not my thing.

Okay, this feels excessively long, so I'm going to bring it to an abrupt end. I think I'll probably lurk for a day or more before trying to join any RPs, but I'm really looking forward to trying to get back into this style of storytelling again. If you made to the end, thanks for reading!

Back