Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Van Leugen: The Newtons

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Calcos

It was an enigmatic, megalithic structure looming gracefully over the midnight outskirts of the city. Myriad houses lined the outer rim of the grand metropolitan locale, their lights snuffed out as the denizens within slept, unaware of the strange, eldritch spire that lurked in the cloudless moonlight, thousands of miles above their heads. The strange, obelisk-like object descended slowly, twirling as it defied the very earth's gravity; a construct of an otherworldly mineral, the vehicle appearing as if levitation should not be possible for itself.

It crawled downward through the atmosphere, spinning, always spinning, as it made its way to the surface. It radiated an energy that was foreign to any one living thing; it was cosmic and calamitous, breathing an air of wicked, eldritch power that sought to grace the face of the earth beneath its precocious mass.

For a sum of mere minutes it climbed ever farther towards the ground beneath, until finally it struck its mark, the spear-point tip of the geometric object penetrating the surface of the earth, slowly churning its way further, down into the very plates of the world beneath the soil as it continuously spun, drilling, coming to rest buried some hundreds of feet deep, pushing away dirt and stone and structure, decimating the homesteads that its massive frame shoved aside, ending the lives and livelihoods of those unfortunate enough to be caught within its destructive descent.

Grinding to a halt, it amassed a barrier of soil, sediment and rubble, perfectly circumventing its protruding upper portion. It had shaken the world, a rumble one would think powerful enough to rouse even the attentions of the dead. Seeping its way into the earth, it wouldn't be long now until it spread the influence of its dreaded power throughout the city.

Not long before madness would begin to take its hold.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Calcos

Driving into the outskirts was never pleasant for any officer: it took up quite a bit of time, the place was unsettling, and their presence was never appreciated until it was needed, and even then they were subject to scorn and scrutiny from the local populace just for doing their jobs.

However, they had been dispatched out to the area, flocking in droves to the scene of the commotion. Apparently there had been some sort of object fall from the sky, supposedly the cause of the quake they had felt earlier. A total of five squad cars had been sent out, each containing a pair of officers, to ensure that all hell had not yet broken loose.

If worst came to worst, they would need to get SWAT or the riot squad out in the Newtons.

Navigating deeper into the outer section of Van Leugen, the scenery around them started to change, and rather drastically; rubble littered the streets, the large cracks in the grounds about them like jagged scars of earth, destroyed architecture lay about in broken fractions, trees toppled over and power lines wrapped around wrecked vehicles.

However, the thing that caught their eyes wasn't the scene immediately before them. On the contrary, their focus was on a far-off object, jutting out of the ground as if some grand monument. Staring at it caused their mouths to gape, their cars coming to rest as they applied the breaks.

The area around them was becoming too treacherous to traverse, with obstacles impeding their progress, and the warped landscape beating at their vehicles as they drove over it, leaving them no other choice but to exit their cars and walk, in the direction of the large stone-like edifice that had burrowed into the ground. They called in their findings to dispatch before disembarking, leaving their vehicles behind.

Slowly, awe-stricken, they made their way outward.

____

It took them a while to reach the object on foot. Coming within range of the strange object, they looked up, chills running up and down their persons as the very magnitude of the structure loomed far above them, even while half-buried in the ground.

One of the men, a sergeant named Derrick O'Neil, walked forward, closer to the intimidatingly large structure than any of the other officers dared, an outstretched hand ready to brush the surface of it. They gasped, some of them extending their hands out in order to catch his attention, -to possibly stop him- their fear of the unknown gripping at their hearts in concern for their fellow officer.

Slowly, he eased his fingertips to grace the object's face. It seemed to radiate a cold aura, sending a sharp chill up his spine and riddling his flesh with goosebumps. Then, suddenly, he cocked his head backward, colorless eyes looking up the length of the spire, visions of far off realms and eldritch powers playing over and over in his mind, tearing at his synapses and drilling into the depths of his psyche.

Just as soon as it had begun, it was over. The other officers had stared, eyes widened and their hearts fluttering uncontrollably, as they watched the sergeant turn away from the spire. His visage adorned with a blank expression, he strode away from the stone structure, a noctambulous shuffling that seemed to indicate that he hadn't any control over his movement.

"Sarge?" one of them asked rather timidly. The voice prompted O'Neil to stop in his tracks, his ghostly stare turning to meet the disconcerted eyes of the young corporal. Slowly turning, O'Neil shambled towards the officer, eventually walking up to him, face-to-face, staring deep into the lad's soul through the green-colored windows provided.

Then, suddenly, his gun was readied and unloaded into the corporal's head, causing the remaining officers to swarm the sergeant, restraining him. With myriad hands holding him down, O'Neil began to shout, profanely, about the things he had seen, spouting prophetic doom that was set to descend upon the horizon.

His screaming was silenced as an officers nightstick clubbed him in the back of his head, knocking him unconscious. The sergeant was cuffed, and it took three of the men to carry him back. One of the officers attempted to relay the situation to dispatch, but found his radio wasn't working. He waved the others away, telling them to put O'Neil in the back of one of the vehicles. He lingered, looking up at the stone behemoth once more. Strangely enough, he could hear what felt like whispers, far off and inhuman, tickling his brain with their sharp quietness.

He felt the coming of a migraine beginning to form.

as written by Saarai and Calcos

The monument jutting up from the ground and it the sky was a mystery to everyone that came to research it. Try to explain what it was and where it came from. Nunez knew it was something you couldn't explain.

He was a tall Hispanic man, long hair just past his shoulders. His beard had shades of grey. Age was finally getting to the man. He looked up at the monolith, trying to see exactly where it was on the structure that his eyes stopped being able to see it.

"I need my things." He said, "Lisa! My things!" He shouted, a small Asian woman popping out from behind the van they drove in. She was carrying bags towards Nunez. A lot of big, heavy bags.

"Coming, sir!" Lisa said to the man, "God, Lisa, you're so slow. We could be missing out on what we need to make it to the big time!" Nunez told Lisa, "We already are in the big time, sir. We're with the Invictus." Lisa informed Nunez.

"Bigger! Lisa, hurry up. Jesus Christ. Anyways, bigger! Movies! A TV show! Bitches for days, Lisa!" Nunez explained, "I get it now, sir." Lisa said, dropping several of the bags down beside Nunez.

"Finally. Lisa, climb that." Nunez ordered, "Uh... what?" Lisa asked.

"I'm joking." Nunez admitted, Lisa sighing a sigh of relief.

"I forgot the climbing gear."

____

The presence that lurked within the monolith could feel the energies of the pair of lifeforms lingering outside of its vessel, both so lowly and insignificant. Humans, pitiful and so oblivious to the things that lurk beyond their scope of understanding, they had no true idea of terror, fancying themselves masters of all things and yet neglecting to come to terms with their own fragility.

They were nothing in the beginning of it all, and would remain nothing even after eternity's end.

Still, it felt a need, a yearning to bless these underlings with a semblance of benevolence, to quench their thirst for the answers they sought for the questions they didn't know to ask. The entity within would be the embodiment of ultimate mercy, a graceful gift to show them the knowledge that rested beyond the bounds of space and time. It would allow them to bask in the eternal wisdom of the cosmos, to see worlds so near to them yet so impossible to ever reach. Yes, it would give them mercy.

With a simple motion of its will, the being would conjure before them a radiant light, standing, formless, as tall as they were; it was an opening to what they came to understand, a portal into the monolith itself. The light would beckon them, tickling their minds with that oh-so-devilish curiosity that was the bane of all mortal things. It would call to them, a voice so serene yet harrowing, but irresistible. Yes, it would call them.

And then it would claim them.

____

Lisa nearly began to hyperventilate, "I feel strange, sir. I don't like this." She said to Nunez. The man himself stood silent despite the portal forming in front of them, "So, that's your game?" He asked, tone of voice becoming more serious. He dug into a pocket, slipping an old Incan bracelet.

"Put this on. It should help." He told Lisa, tossing her the bracelet. She slipped it on, most of the bad feeling leaving her. There was still that little bit left behind, but it was enough for Lisa to deal with.

When she looked up from the bracelet, Nunez was digging an amulet out of a bag. "Go get help, Lisa. Call the others." He ordered, "I'm going in and I might need saving. I might die, but we have to figure this out." He told her.

"This is going way beyond publicity, sir. Let's leave. Please?" Lisa pleaded, "It's too dangerous, Lisa. It showed me that." Nunez said, slipping on the amulet. It was meant to protect him.

From what? He didn't know.

Nunez wasted no time in heading into the portal, Lisa charging after him to join. Nunez turned at the last minute and raised his hand, a wave of energy thrusting Lisa back towards their van.

"You have orders, Apprentice. Follow them." Nunez said, stepping backwards into the portal.

____

It was the perfect lure.

Phasing out of what he knew to be reality, the human would find himself awakening inside the vessel that he had been standing before mere moments ago. Looking around, however, he would not find machinery or cold, metallic walls that were the custom of the various transportation methods of mortal-kind. On the contrary, the insignificant being would be overwhelmed by his surroundings; he would find himself standing on a sandstone platform, one of the hundreds that were within view, the rest stretching onward and upward and downward into eternity, all of them perfectly sculpted, ten foot by ten foot. Between himself and the next platform existed a chasm that was impossible to leap over. Above him would loom a sky that was decorated with the pale light of millions of half-dead stars, and a singular moon hanging in the air like the face of an all-watchful god. Curiously, the sky, so alight with stars, would look to be a blazing auburn, as if the sun were setting behind the horizon. Despite this, there was still an atmosphere of darkness residing over the locale.

To his right, the human would find an eternal expanse of the same platforms, their reach extending beyond the bounds of his eyesight, disappearing out of view into the bleak world beyond, fading into the gloom like phantoms in the mist. To his left, he would find much of the same, except near the "center" of the immediate area, he would see an immense, transparent monument that reflected the light of the stars above off of its frame. The object resembled an hourglass, its appearance like that of two water droplets separating from each other. Inside of it was contained a rather disturbingly pallid green liquid, flowing upwards and downwards from the center, each stream parting as it collided with the base of the glass bulbs, and flowing back toward the center from the sides of the glass, perpetuating a cycle of flow, almost like a fountain.

Nothing about this place would make sense.

____

Nunez was in awe, but it slowly settled down to a level of mild panic after he took a look around. Everything was beautiful in it's own eldritch way. It was different, it was meant to play on human curiosity. Nunez knew he played right into it's plan. Whatever that plan was.

Maybe he made a dumb choice walking through that portal instead of finding others to get rid of the monolith. Something nefarious was going on and he wasn't sure he could stop it on his own. He wasn't sure if his dumb choice was his own choice.

"Show yourself."

____

The entity that acted as the master of the vessel lurked, unseen, from within the great beyond that was the interior of the ship itself. It was very much nearby, its sights on the perplexed human that stood, rather courageously, on the ground beneath its feet. The longer he remained inside the vessel, the more he endangered himself to being susceptible to what would come next.

He would feel an itch of the mind, at first only a prodding annoyance. The sensation would intensify, gradually, as the entity probed his mind further. It found a name: Nunez. But it would find more than that, an identity. A personality, and memories, some that were suitable for sharing, others that were better kept in secrecy. It saw, on several occasions, Nunez tasting the skin of live frogs...

Then, it would project a voice, soothing and disruptive all at once; a whisper in the man's mind that spoke louder than any voice he'd ever heard, invading his thoughts as a mortician invades a cadaver. It would speak without uttering aloud, planting words into Nunez's brain so that he could understand.

The human would call it telepathy.

"You've done well to come here, Nunez. Hmmm. Nunez. You humans and your monikers, strange. You are all peculiar, just as you are insignificant. But I'm getting ahead of myself. You came here to learn, did you not?" The entity let its words settle on Nunez's mind, a cloak of profound confusion that lifted the fog from Nunez's conscience, only to blanket it once more. "I can grant you knowledge. Eternal wisdom. I can show you everything, let you see beyond the realms of your eyes. It would truly be the greatest discovery in your entire, meaningless, life."

It waited, once again letting the words settle, to sink in so that full understanding could be achieved. Speaking directly to the human's mind was quite possibly painful and maddening. He needed a reprieve every so often, lest his thoughts suffocate his mind and he lose himself in the turmoil.

"Would you let me give you that knowledge, Nunez?"

____

Nunez smirked, folding his arms over his chest. "You know I'm a man who seeks knowledge, who tries to learn. I'm also a man who knows when something's up." He said, "And, by the way, my life isn't meaningless. Ask my abuela back in Sinaloa."

"She thinks I have a pretty cool life." He joked, but he couldn't keep it up for long. His curiosity was getting the better of him. This thing, this whatever, could be powerful. It could know something that Nunez needed to know.

"Show me."

____

The entity within found itself feeling a peculiar way about Nunez. If it had to choose a human emotion to compare its present state, it would have to "amused." Indeed, Nunez was an amusing cluster of sapient flesh, ripe for exploiting. It felt no need to conceal itself from him any further, choosing to subject the pitiful creature, file him into the ranks, as it were; to make him one of the rest of the servants.

From beneath the platform on which Nunez stood, it emerged, slowly ascending through the empty space ahead of the human creature, revealing itself as it rose upward. When it appeared in full view, it appeared as a gargantuan monster, its very presence incomprehensible and in violation of everything the man knew of the natural world. In appearance, it seemed to have a body partially made of metal, and partially an unnatural-looking skin tissue that seemed to be stretched thin, its color a horrific grayish-blue. Its face was sculpted like some sort of eldritch helm, with a portion of the face missing, as if it had eroded away, its single, staring and star-bright eye as magnificent and calamitous as the birth of the universe itself. Its appendages, if they could be called such, appeared more as unsightly growths, appearing as misshapen tree limbs of fleshy material, the assumed fingers and toes bearing a tendril-like appearance. Finally, it wore, strangely enough, a loincloth made of a fabric that was of both unknown material and color, the mere sight of it just as maddening as that which it was adorned on.

As Nunez would gaze up at this abomination, he would hear in his mind a singular word, repeated over and over like the ticking away of seconds on a clock, each reverberating utterance of it compelling, beckoning him ever further into madness, the word -a name- existing in a tongue that was far older than the world he knew, and far more complex than any he'd ever heard. The name drilled itself into his mind until it would become his only thought:

Ithnzxu.

"I am your God, now," it said wordlessly.

____

The creature before Nunez was a sight to behold. It held a visage that most mortal men would find would change their very outlook on the world for the worse. It was hard for Nunez to understand what exactly he was seeing other than a real abomination.

A mind retching madness likely overcame the Hispanic brujo as he stood before Ithnzxu.

A madness that Javier could only articulate as a single word. A word that any other person in the universe would be too frozen in fear or confusion to utter.

"Huh."

as written by Saarai and glmstr

"There!" Lisa yelled, speeding towards the monolith. "Everyone, put on your charms, fetishes, and anything that will protect your mind and soul." One of the Lamia members said as the van came to a stop not far from where Nunez and Lisa stopped before.

He was an average sized man with dark skin, a distinctly American accent coating his words.

The Invictus mystics climbed out of the van, one moving to the trailer to let Virgil out while Lisa panicked.

She couldn't do anything else but panic.

____

A mystic unlocked the trailer's door and the animated golem leapt from her compartment to the asphalt, the ground around the van shaking ever so slightly from the half-ton of metal landing on the ground.

"Oh my.." Virgil's non-existent jaw dropped when she saw the monolith, one of her arms dropping a soul-protection pendant around her neck, one which she received before traveling.

"We should prioritize saving your friend, it may be too late if we don't hurry."

____

"Could be too late already." One of the Lamia said, "It's been hours. Could be years inside. Or minutes. Or seconds." Another said, the group approaching the monolith slowly. "It opened up a portal?"

"Yes. A portal." Lisa said, "What if he's on an alien planet being chased by things? Of what if they don't have oxygen?" She asked, "I've seen Total Recall. I know your head explodes."

____

"I don't even breathe anyway. Besides, even if his mind is already corrupted, I can still drag him through the portal. There's perks to being a walking statue."
Virgil slowly started towards the monolith.

"Somebody coming with me would be helpful, but I'll go alone if I have to. I've given my life to save someone before, and I can do it again. Besides, it's only fitting for Virgil to guide our Dante back from the depths of the Inferno, no?"

as written by Calcos

The creature that called itself Ithnzxu -called itself a god- stared down at the pitiful mortal. Of all the humans the entity had ever encountered, Nunez was by far the most striking; and that was saying something, considering it had encountered plenty. Still, it doubted Nunez's ability to stand fast while being in its presence. Sooner or later, his mind would collapse under the weight of realization. How the man held up was completely variable.

"Now that I have your attention," it spoke to Nunez's mind, "I have a task for you. Somewhere in this city, my servants, your human kin, lie in waiting. I would like you to join them. They have been of significant use to me, and I confess that adding you to their ranks would exponentially bolster their efficiency, don't you agree?"

Suddenly, the being sensed something. Multiple presences, lurking outside his vessel. "Your friends have come back for you. How noble." It pondered, thinking it should alter the portal's trajectory and send them into the deepest recesses of the far cosmos, hurl them into the maw of the madness among the stars. But it decided against that, choosing instead to let them come back for Nunez, if they so desired.

"This could be fun."

as written by Krysis

Lalita had been at the end of the line, drawn on by curiosity when the convoy continued to Van Leugen of all places, so it took her a while to catch up. The little black case had finally been opened fully at the sight of that tower, and the weapon within now hung from her grip loosely, clutched by the outside so it didn't glow yet and looked like just a black glass cup. A red crystal bottle stuck out of her hip pocket as she strolled down to where people were talking about what to do about the portal.

Adjusting her wide brimmed hat, the tiefling looked up at Virgil with a low whistle of amazement. Then she blinked and butted in, "Um, sorry, but that is a bad idea. Something like you, big guy, needs to be at the back of the line to yank the rope if things go wrong. If you are the yanked end of the life line, I don't think it would do a damn bit of good."

"You all were planning on using a life line, right? Not just going to go poking around with crazy space portals without a back-up plan, right?" She looked at the array of people in concern, blushing when she realized that she was Really crashing a party since most of them had the same emblem on their clothes somewhere. Her little wings hunched against her back with her discomfort as she expected them to tell her to piss off or something to that effect.

as written by Saarai

Nunez thought for awhile that he was fine. Outwardly he was, but he was unaware that the damage had been done. He felt compelled to follow Ithnzxu's orders. Maybe had had gone crazy, maybe his crazy just had a purpose.

"Let me out. I'll handle them and then join your servants." He said, "Just gonna play it cool."

"Who are you?" One of the Invictus asked Lalita, "You should go join the others heading into the city. This is dangerous." He told her, "We've got this covered. The convoy is going to the railyard to the north." He continued.

"That is a good idea though." Another admitted, "Regardless, we're waiting for Godfrey to give the order. He's in charge these days."

as written by glmstr

"And where is Godfrey?" Virgil tapped her foot impatiently, watching the Monolith with a lingering sense of discomfort.
"Whatever we end up doing, we need to hurry. That thing isn't growing any weaker while we wait here."

as written by Krysis

"Lalita Aradhana Padma Mala Sharma. Yes, that is all my name, but please feel free to call me Lali." The strange girl offered her hand (after transferring the black glass 'cup' to the other hand) to shake to the one that asked who she was, then shrugged at him trying to tell her to leave.

"Well, yeah, I could do that. I guess. But wouldn't you folks rather have more help? I mean, I might not look like much, but you shouldn't underestimate me. What if, on the other side of that portal, there is a drop-off and you need someone that can fly? Or it might be very hot. Or the guy you want to rescue might resist being rescued for some reason. In any of those cases, I can help." She didn't mention that she technically couldn't fly, but since she had wings, few people would dispute the claim. And she could Glide pretty well. If the wind cooperated.

as written by Calcos

The eldritch being pondered this a moment, waving its massive hand through the air so as to conjure a new portal for Nunez to exit from. "Go, join your friends. Don't tell them what you've seen. Lie, if you must, then join my other servants. In exchange, I'll grant you the knowledge I have promised you. Now leave."

as written by Saarai

"On his way." One of the Lamia told Virgil, "More help is fine, but are you at all versed in the supernatural, otherworldly, or paranormal?" Another asked Lalita, "Otherwise, we can't risk putting you in harms way for a stranger." He continued.

"Guys?" An Invictus sorceress said, pointing at the structure. It was doing things, another portal was opening. Godfrey's hearse was pulling to the scene as it happened, the man peering up at the obelisk.

Out of the portal came Nunez, seemingly unscathed and his normal self.

"Whoa. Where did you all come from?" He asked, Lisa rushing towards the man to give him a hug. She would have succeeded if he didn't raise a hand to stop her.

"Damn it, Lisa. We're professionals. No hugs."

as written by glmstr

"So is this the guy that was taken by 'the darkness'?" Virgil crossed two of her arms, her head cocked slightly to the side in suspicion.
"So that must be Godfrey," the golem's other two arms gestured towards the coming hearse.

as written by Krysis

Lali wilted a little under the criticism, her wings hanging loose so that the rusty red and black feathers brushed the backs of her knees. "I guess not. I mean, I survived an angry ifrit when I was ten, but that's about it."

Then she was distracted when Nunez came out and there was a stir among the others. The strange girl watched Lisa with concern, then her worried gaze lifted to the structure, "Oh, that was the only guy in there? You probably want to destroy it now, right?"

as written by Saarai

"Actually, it's not that bad." Nunez told the group, "My guess is that it leads to several places. Maybe other dimensions." He said, waving to Godfrey as he climbed out of his hearse. "That doesn't explain what Lisa was feeling." Godfrey said, "Nerves." Nunez explained.

He pointed at the structure, "Research! Supervised, of course. After we all eat and sleep. All that worrying about little ol' Javier must have done a number on you all."

"Let's go." Nunez said, heading for his van. Godfrey watched the man walk, turning to see the other Lamia seemingly confused. Finally, his gaze rested on Lalita.

"Who are you?" He asked, "One of yours, Virgil?"

as written by glmstr

"Er, I don't know her," Virgil shrugged her uncrossed pair of arms. The Mage quickly approached Godfrey, her voice lowering.
"Is he all right? I guess I'm being paranoid, but he seems somewhat defensive and dismissive about his experience."

as written by Krysis

Lalita sighed and shrugged, "Sorry. I got lost and followed you folks because it looked like you knew where you were going. And then this thing was very interesting and-- I just thought I could help."

About the end of that, she realized that no one was listening to her anymore, because they had more important things to think about. Not that she could blame them. She straightened up though, folding her wings up comfortably as she waited and watched the structure as if she somewhat expected it to do something.

as written by Saarai

Godfrey looked to Virgil, he was silent but it was clear that he held the same suspicions as her. He'd known Nunez for years, so he knew when something was up. Something was definitely up.

"The portal's dangerous, I don't want anyone trying to enter one if it opens again or you get curious. Check back with the others see if we got any hits. Someone at some point in history has to have seen something like this before." Godfrey told the group.

Godfrey began on his way towards his hearse, "Virgil, make sure no one dies. I'm heading to the railyard. You can join me, straggler." He said, referring to Lalita as the straggler.

as written by glmstr

"I've got a PhD in that, I think I can handle it," Virgil produced a metal folding stool and sat on it, plopping her briefcase of simple medicines and surgical tools next to her copper-coated feet.

She kicked a pebble and continued to watch Nunez, scrutinizing his every movement with the stillness of a mannequin.

as written by Krysis and Saarai

Lalita naturally jogged after Godfrey, leaving her old farm truck where it sat. Sure it had plenty of useful things crammed under or behind the seats and in a tool box, but somehow she felt that sort of thing wouldn't be particularly needed.

She'd head for the passenger side of the hearse, but stare at the structure worriedly while waiting for the door to be unlocked so she could get in. Once seated, she murmurs, "I feel like this is the wrong thing. Leaving, I mean. But it has recently been proven that my instincts for dealing with aliens suck."

____

"My people are professionals. Not even, things of this nature are literally their lives." Godfrey said to Lalita, "They know there's so much risk for no reward." He continued, starting his car. The hearse began to creep forward and turn to head to the road into Van Leugen.

"What was your name again?" He asked, glancing over to Nunez's van as it drove away.

____

"Just call me Lali. It's much easier." The lacy pattern on the right side of her face caught the light as she turned her head to smile at Godfrey. As they moved away from the structure, she unhooked the black plastic case from her belt loop and tucked the black 'glass' cup back inside it, along with the red crystal bottle. The bottle got a thoughtful caress before she would close the case though.

Lalita's smile faded back into a troubled frown as she looked out the window. "Sounds like an interesting job. Better than farming, at least."

____

"Samson Godfrey." Godfrey told Lalita, tipping his imaginary hat to her. "You got caught up in everything in Westeria, or what?" He asked her, the hearse entering The Newtons proper.

Godfrey hadn't been to Van Leugen before, it was easy to tell by the way he looked at buildings and people he passed by. "You didn't find that obelisk on your own. Unless you did."

____

Lalita gave a nervous laugh and shrugged. "Ah, something like that. I live in the Midlands. Technically. Got stuck in Westeria City trying to help out some soldiers, and left them to their own devices when they seemed to be more interested in keeping secrets than in keeping their chauffeur in the loop. And then were was a car crash, and a space ship crash, and I got the hell out of there."

"The only problem with that was that all the roads I tried were blocked, so when I saw the convoy heading out, I followed. Better than having to move trees, fight off carjackers, and deal with gravity shifts." She adjusted her hat as she recalled the issues of the day before.

"Oh, and the sheriff in the area I live in is using my farm as a refugee camp, so... I decided not to go there." She added, recalling the yelling conversation on her cell phone while she was following the Invictus convoy.

____

"It makes me wonder why we stay here." Godfrey said to Lali, "We have choices and our leadership won't make them." He continued, preparing to say more before he stopped himself. Lalita didn't need hear about what he didn't like at work. Maybe she wouldn't care.

A man standing on a street corner flagged down the hearse. Based on how he was dressed, functional clothing and a tactical vest, it was clear he was one of the less magically inclined Invictus.

"Godfrey!" He shouted, "We got food!"

____

"Food?" Lali asked hopefully, then blushed when her stomach rumbled. She hadn't gotten a chance to eat since she cooked for the soldiers back in Rheinsdale.

She had seemed interested in what Godfrey was talking about, but decided not to push. Perhaps she was just worn out and tired, since she hadn't gotten to sleep either since well before the meal had been made.

____

"You can join us, or go your own way." Godfrey told Lalita, "We'll be talking about a lot of boring work stuff." He said as he pulled his hearse over, they were a little down from a restaurant that specialized in traditional Terran foods. Not that Godfrey would complain.

He needed food and he wasn't picky.

"Actually, come join us. I'm a little curious about some things. Sate my curiously, please?" He said, opening his car door. "Shall we?"

____

Lalita both wilted and perked up at Mr. Godfrey's interest. Sometimes people wanted to know more than she could tell them, after all and her lack of answers was disheartening. However, she was generally starved for company, so having the invitation to talk was very welcome.

"Of course. I'll tell you anything I know." She volunteered brightly, looking up at the restaurant sign before going inside with her new friend. It was still a novelty to her, to eat someplace where she didn't have to grow, catch, or even cook the food, so it didn't matter what was on the menu, the tiefling was just happy to be eating out.

____

The restaurant was filled with Invictus and other people that had come with the convoy. Not everyone was going back to Westeria, that much was made clear by what many were doing. Filling out job applications, looking for apartments, meeting with family and friends.

Godfrey waved to the people that he knew before he took a seat at an already occupied booth. Two men and woman, all wearing suits. "Surprised to see you out of the shop. Who's your friend?" A woman in the booth asked Godfrey, waving slightly to Lalita.

"Lalita, meet Adele Stewart, Herman Goetz, and Charles Burke. They're part of our legal team." Godfrey told Lali, "Believe it or not, a large mercenary superpower does need legal representation." Herman said.

He was the oldest of the bunch, made evident by the grey in his still mostly blond hair.

____

Lalita smiled and waved at them in a friendly way as she eased into the booth as well. "That makes perfect sense. I suppose you have to deal with all sorts of different governments and weird laws that ordinary folk never guess at." The tiefling gave Herman an especially friendly smile, since he spoke to her without being prompted to.

"After the mess in Westeria City, I'd imagine that you're ready to move your TNG base out of there too. Is Van Leugen going to be your new home?" A booth was slightly difficult for Lali, and she had to lean forward a bit to not crush her wings, which were starting to droop from sheer weariness. No one would ever guess by how lively and cheerful she seemed otherwise, but the girl was tired.

Their symbols were so familiar and she knew that this mercenary group was a big deal. After all, 'mercenary superpower' kinda spelled that out for her, in case she hadn't out two and two together yet. She also had followed their convoy from Westeria City and seen their base there in passing, so logically, they had to be that big ass group with all the famous people in it-- Now if she could only remember what it was called, or even the actual name or face of one of the people in it. Very frustrating.

____

"We're looking into it. Our public headquarters doubles as a hotel, and there's not a lot of tourism in Westeria right now." Adele said to Lalita, "I personally like Van Leugen." Charles added, "It's got character." He said, rearranging the sugars on the table.

"You say that about every single city we go to." Herman noted, "It's always true." Charles retorted, "There's some legal stuff we have to get through. Van Leugen has a short history with mercenaries. A group operated here that turned an area into a warzone awhile back." Adele told Lalita, "We need the public on our side."

A waitress made her way over, dropping menus in front of Godfrey and Lalita, "People are still very wary of the Invictus. We're for-hire types, most of us, so people think that means we're without morals or beliefs in anything other than money." Godfrey explained.

____

"Thank you! I have been trying to think of that name all day!" Lalita laughed and blushed as she fiddled with her menu. She gave an embarrassed shrug and pointed to the most visible of their badges, whoever was wearing one that she could see at least. "I knew that I knew who you were, I just couldn't place the-- these."

"And yes, you are right. There won't be much tourism in Westeria for a while. Did you know that the Aschens are snapping up territory? At least, that was what I heard, but considering the source, I don't know if I should believe it or not. Would-be carjackers will say Anything to keep you from-- Er. From hurting them." Her blush increased, though she suspected that her talents would not shock any of these folks.

"I suppose when things calm down and the humanitarian efforts start up, the do-gooders will need a place to stay, but that certainly won't bring in the sort of income that you are used to." She didn't comment on cities having character. She wouldn't really know, having lived in a small village in ancient Caldonia, and then a small town in the midlands. To her, even Westeria was exotic and grand, so Van Leugen was nearly overwhelming.

____

"I heard about that. I wonder if they need legal representation." Adele joked, "I don't think any of us should be getting involved in that mess more than we are." Herman said, "The Aschen are enough trouble already." He continued.

"About those soldiers, Lalita? What do you know about them?" Godfrey asked the winged woman, "If they were asking you for a ride, I'm going to assume they were up to no good. Or they really needed a ride."

____

"Oh, them. Yeah, probably up to something sneaky sneaky. They didn't tell me anything, actually, except that they wanted to get to Westeria." Lalita checked out her placemat, and since it was paper and had a blank back, she'd turn it over and start to draw out the weapons she had seen and the ammo Riley had specifically shown her. Her recall isn't perfect, of course, but probably good enough to give Godfrey the idea of what they had carried.

"I know they weren't TNG, because they didn't have insignia and they stole some from the fallen. No badges or anything at all, really, but they had that soldier feel to them. And there was the space debris that fell around just before they showed up, so probably not from around here at all. Not Aschens, because they didn't have that way about them either, and the accents were very odd." Lalita talked as she sketched, then roughed in a rough guess as to the scale with a worried frown.

"They also had some weird communications stuff. Set it up where I couldn't really get a look at it while it was working and tried to keep me from seeing it at all-- I dropped them in Rheinsdale, because it was supposed to be entirely evacuated and I knew a good place there." She only had room for the most unique of the weapons she had seen, with the addition of the round in the free space beneath it and she hesitated before sliding it in front of Godfrey, wondering just how badly she had screwed up.

____

"Space debris?" Godfrey asked, grabbing Lalita's sketch and passing it over to the booth behind him. "Identify that." He said, "Could be anyone really trying to capitalize on what happened in Westeria. Who knows who has been just waiting for the perfect moment to strike, or profit?" Charles asked.

"Don't be surprised if gangsters get flashier cars, and more bling, or some guy's wife 'accidentally' falls on some bullets." Adele added, shaking her head.

"Lawyers, am I right?" Godfrey asked jokingly, "ICON make." The person in the other booth said to Godfrey, "Coalition?" Godfrey asked, "I heard we made contact." Herman said, "That sounds like they were doing something sketchy though." He continued.

"We're all doing something sketchy. That's the world we live in."

____

"Well, if they were about to make contact, the group I met were probably scouts." Lalita pointed out, then closed her eyes and slumped, her wings hanging limp, "Are they good guys? At all? I mean, I thought they seemed kinda nice and it wasn't like they pointed the guns at me. And when I told the local sheriff about my suspicions he told me to go deal with it on my own, so--"

Of course, she had been doing what she thought was right at the time, and considering her options at the end, leaving was probably the smartest thing she could have done. Still, feeling guilty, she looked up at Godfrey miserably, "I fucked up, didn't I."

____

"The Coalition is... complicated." Herman told Lalita, "What Herman here is trying to say, politics suck." Adele said, "Like all governments, they have their own wants, needs, desires, and policies. The Coalition could be here to stick it to their enemies, or here to make sure the people of Valore don't side with them." Adele explained.

"One way or another." Charles said, lifting his head when a waitress began to place his food down in front of him and the other lawyers. "Ready to order?" She asked Godfrey and Lalita, "A BLT for me." Godfrey answered.

"You didn't fuck up." He said to Lalita, feeling the need to ease her guilt. These were complicated times, and there were worse people to deal with than the Coalition.

Much worse.

____

The tiefling gave Godfrey a grateful smile, then seemed flustered at the need to order, since she had been drawing and not looking at the menu. She muttered to herself as she glanced over the menu quickly, "Um. Carbs and protein and calories. Carbs... Let's see..."

"Oh! That's easy. Bacon cheeseburger with fries, please. And sweet tea?" Lali gave a bright smile to the waitress, though it froze like cracked glass when the woman seemed alarmed at having the strange girl's attention.

When the waitress left, taking the menus with her, Lalita fiddled with her napkin instead. She got a bit wistful as she asked. "Ummm. You guys really get around though, right? I mean, other worlds and adventures on this planet and such like that? Any chance someone like me could... tag along?"

as written by Saarai and Krysis

"Eh... you could, but..." Adele began, "There is always a but." Godfrey told Lalita, "Without having you under contract or certified, we can't take you anywhere. Not legally, that is." Adele continued, "Illegal works in the right context." Charles said, "We must inform you, we are not condoning any illegal activities." Herman added.

"Adele can handle the paperwork for you though. Right, Addy?" Godfrey asked the female lawyer, "I guess I can send something to the government telling them that you're a... consultant."

____

"What government?" Lalita asked curiously, tilting her head in surprise. After all, the TNG seemed to be in hiding, and she had no ties to the city of Van Leugen. Technically she had been born in Caldonia, but there were no records left of the tiny, nameless fishing village she had been born in, much less the people that had lived there so long ago.

"I'm not a soldier, so what kind of certification are you speaking of?" The strange girl wasn't afraid of hard work or violence, but the vagueness of this paperwork mentioned had her a bit nervous.

____

"The stuff that says you work for us or with us. That way we avoid all the illegal parts about having someone tagging along to other sovereign nations." Adele told Lalita, "And other dimensions. We do that too." Charles said, "It's dangerous, but it's gotten less dangerous over time." He explained.

"Still very dangerous, though. It's the difference between a big fire and a small fire. There's more safe places to go with a small fire burning near you, but it's still a fire. It can still burn you." Herman told Lalita, "Only a few people have died though."

"This week." Adele joked.

____

"Sounds like fun! I'm nearly fireproof, so-- Oh, wait, you mean metaphorical fires, not literal ones." Lalita gave a sheepish smile when she realized her mistake.

"Thank you all for just accepting me like this. I was so afraid that I would be just... another refugee." She sighed at the thought, giving a worried frown that was interrupted by the arrival of her drink.

"So what do you, I mean, what do We do in other dimensions?" The tiefling was genuinely curious, looking around at the lawyers and Godfrey to see if they had interesting stories to tell over dinner.

____

Herman couldn't help but laugh a little at Lalita, "They don't use metaphors a lot where you come from, do they?" He asked the woman, "We're lawyers, when we travel we usually end up doing lawyer things. Defending clients, gag orders, drinking heavily." Adele told Lalita.

"Godfrey on the other hand? He adventures." Herman said, "I used to. Getting too old. Now I just offer advice and sell things." Godfrey said, "But, back in the day I did used to be an investigator. Always hired to deal with the supernatural. I restored a soul, fought an angel, got married."

"And he still has the scars to prove it. The married part." Herman joked.

____

Lalita laughed and shrugged, amused at herself too as she answered Herman. "They do, I'm just a bit slow at the moment. Exhaustion will make most anyone a little loopy."

The lawyer stuff didn't sound very interesting to her, but she smiled at Adele anyway before she looked at Godrey again, "Getting married sounds dangerous." Though this time she realized that the comment about scars was just a joke and had a teasing expression on her partially lacy scaled face.

____

"I admit, I was in over my head." Godfrey said, "What skills do you have, Lalita? If I'm going to make my case to the bosses for allowing you to hang around, I need substance. What, who, am I pitching?" He asked her.

"That is important. More important than you would think in this business." Herman said.

____

"Skills? Umm. I can grow most any crop. Shoot a squirrel on the run at a hundred yards with a rifle. Small engine repair. I'm really strong. I've got me a gadget that shoots fireballs for me but doesn't work for anyone else..." Lalita tried to think of more impressive things, rather than focusing on the ordinary side of herself that she was used to showing. Then she grinned at them and picked up her steak knife, offering it to Herman since he was directly across from her. Her other hand laid flat on the table, palm up and completely relaxed.

"You wanna take a slice and see how tough I am? I used to use a fork, but they tend to bend. Looks real spectacular, but eventually the tines snap off and then you're out a fork." She gave an encouraging nod, utterly confident.

"One year I earned over a thousand bucks letting people try to hurt me at the county fair. The guy that finally won the prize shot me in the eye, but I was fine once they got the bullet out." Lali didn't tell them that the small caliber hadn't actually pierced anything, just got stuck behind her eyeball and required some delicate maneuvering to get it back out. In the process, she couldn't see out of that eye, mostly because of pressure on the optic nerve. And, of course, it hurt like the dickens.

____

"Your funeral." Herman said, reaching for a knife on the table. "Maybe I was using that." Charles said, "Were you?" Herman asked, "No..." Charles admitted, "Carry on."

Herman nodded to Lalita, pressing the knife lightly against her palm. Suddenly, he sliced down on her palm in an attempt to draw blood from the woman.

Godfrey and the others watched, waiting to see if Lalita wasn't playing up her abilities.

____

Lalita's hand flexed under the pressure, but did not bleed. The force upon the nerve bundle in the palm forces the muscles to contract, but it did seem like she was trying not to move. Indeed, the knife might bend rather than pierce her flesh, or grow dull if sawed against her skin.

She just smiled and shrugged her shoulders as she offered her hand to Herman to let him examine it as closely as he wanted. "You'd have better luck yanking out a feather, but they shed naturally now and then. I can pull out a scale or two, because I am strong enough to do it, but it hurts like I am trying to remove a bone instead of something merely in my skin. Most tools break before they can do me harm. I can't even get my hair cut."

____

"Just like The Ripper." Charles said, "That is a little like that. At least from what I read." Herman added, examining the knife as he spoke. Lalita wasn't kidding, the knife seemed to take some damage from coming into contact with her skin.

"Don't let the name fool you, but The Ripper is a good person. She suffered a lot, but she's gotten past her past." Godfrey explained, "She's basically a superhero." Adele said, "I think I know who to call. Chemo's in town." Godfrey told Lalita, digging into a pocket to grab his cell phone.

He brought it up to his ear, "You'll love Chemo."

____

"Ripper? Chemo? I feel like I should know those names, but I just can't place them." Lalita smiled and shrugged at the lawyers and Godfrey. Then the rest of the orders came and Lalita was distracted by having food in front of her. Maybe she wouldn't exactly starve to death, but having an empty stomach was very uncomfortable anyway.

After she had stuffed a few bites into her mouth, she started to pay attention to the side of the call that she could hear, curious about... well, everything, really.

____

"Robert, it's Samson. Got a recruit for you." Godfrey said to the man on the other end of the phone, "We can meet you there. Give us some time to finish our food first. Yeah. I know."

Godfrey used one hand to check his food, making sure his order didn't get messed up with how busy the building was. Between the Invictus, locals, tourists, and everyone else who wanted some lunch the cooks would be deserving of medals after their shifts ended.

"See you soon, Robert." Godfrey finished, slipping his phone away.

"I need to go, gotta meet Sharif at St. Genevieve's." Adele said, slipping out of the booth. "Let us know if you need backup. Sharif can be really... tough." Herman told the woman, "Why is everyone afraid of Sharif? I can handle Sharif." Adele said as she grabbed her food before heading for the exit.

"I should prepare my speech for her funeral." Charles joked.

____

Lalita smiled with amusement at Godfrey checking the contents of his sandwich. Her own burger was slightly under-cooked, and the bacon was skimpy, but the cheese was excessive and Lali wasn't squeamish. The fried potatoes would be her first order of business, since they would be displeasing if allowed to get cold.

With all the names flying around, the strange young woman was a bit baffled and confused, but that seemed to be normal, as of late. She listened and filed things away in case they became more needed at a later date. It just wasn't her place to interject into the banter. Especially when it seemed like the next step in the process depended on how quickly she and Godfrey finished their meals.

Back