Villains

In my mind, the best stories are about good versus good.

Is it possible to name any real persons who lacked their own justification for the terrible things they did?

Any character I've created, at some point has had or will have to do something to achieve their goal that will cost something of somebody else. In the right light, everyone is a villain to somebody.

Tips for writing villains? Well, try to think of what would drive an everyday man or woman to commit a villainous act. Pain is an easy way to create a villain, I feel. Perhaps a noble of great power was living an easy life in their father's kingdom, only to be undermined and exiled; their good name tarnished and forgotten? Would this noble seek revenge on those who wronged them? Would this noble seek new power elsewhere, and return to bring not just those who wronged them to heel, but their father and his kingdom as well?

This idea I spitballed could be spun as a tale of a hero, yes, as the tale of someone righteously righting their wrongs. But to make a villain, I feel, a character's motivation needs to come from a place of vice, rather than a place of virtue. The noble isn't righting their wrongs to bring justice to evildoers; the noble is righting their wrongs to reclaim their riches and power. In this pursuit, the noble grows more powerful than before, and sets their sights on a greater prize: their father's riches and power. This is how an everyday person is driven to villainy. Hell, perhaps the noble grew to greater power through murder and deceit? Bribery and blackmail? Lies and threats?

Back