Akashic Arcana Visits to the market District.

OmegaRper42

Arbiter of light and dark.
A day had passed since Ruby was admitted to the hospital and became a member of the Student Council.... Well she didn't exactly have a choice in the matter her fate sealed when she agreed to battle, The warrior princess Xena. A formidable foe to be sure in fact most would say that losing to her would be completely understandable and unavoidable, The Saihara family were revered in their lightning alchemy after all. Ruby isn't most people. This wasn't something to be argued even if most people didn't know her last name was Kay, Ruby was someone you didn't want to mess with and apparently Xena at least on some level knew this. Had the fight gone normally the scorcher might have come out on top instead, Xena used a high-risk-high-rewards move and managed to win.... "Damn I'm getting pissed off just thinking about that freak! I need to take a break from this. I wouldn't want to 'Destroy everything, with my self-pity' " She air quoted. Walking through the sterile walls of the infirmary. despite that she let out a sigh of relief when she felt the air on her face and vibrate color of the trees. "A walk. Yeah, fancy I'll walk away my trouble." A loud grumbling sound could be heard. From her stomach. It was rare to see Ruby blush in embarrassment and to actually smile. Hell if anyone was around they would think she looked too damned adorable. "Guess its been awhile since I had anything. Right!" she marched down the sidewalk and towards the Market District. "Breakfast first then a walk."

Arriving at her destination the large crowd of the Marketplace, that moments ago was talking up a storm and enjoying the gayety of the day, went as quiet as a church mouse the moment Ruby arrived. Some murmurs could be heard among the crowd, of whether Ruby would take out her frustrations on all present someone even had the gul to suggest someone get Xena. Rubbing her temples trying to keep herself from having a headache over the level of stupidity on display. "Just some breakfast, just some breakfast." She was too hungry to even get mad, walking through the crowd of people who seemed to be struggling to get out of her way. "How about some meat? Maybe a bit of eggs and waffles." Talking to herself was a nice way to block out, all the idiotic comments.

Iris had managed to waste a good hour people watching, just because people avoided her like the plague didn't mean she couldn't observe them. Twiddling a strand of blue hair around her finger she watched the various faces passing the tiny cafe as she nursed a cup of coffee, sat outside on a tiny black chair. Every now and then someone would catch her gaze, to which Iris would respond with a beaming smile, although that usually sent the other person dropping their eyes to the ground and scuttling off. She wondered if she had something in her teeth that perhaps was scaring people off. She had even tried to tone it down on the blue eye shadow.

Suddenly her little observations scattered like a wave, her eyebrows furrowed together in confusion as to what interrupted her people stalking. She then spotted a familiar face, Iris had never spoken to the woman, she had heard of the battle that went down however, everyone knew about it, whispering about it. She wasn't quite sure what the hype was about but she got the general gist that Ruby had lost, badly. Iris had learned to not pay to much attention to rumors however. She watched the woman, finding her a lot more interesting to watch compared to the general public, noticing that Ruby was talking to herself. Since Iris found out about her mental health issue she spent a lot of time talking to herself, partly to keep the lonely thoughts at bay, she suspected that perhaps this woman was perhaps doing the same, considering how the people were giving her a wide berth.

It only made her all the more curious, ditching her coffee cup she stood, walking briskly over to Ruby, she extended her arm out for a handshake "Iris, nice to meet you" she spoke cheerily, with a wide smile "You talking to yourself to keep those voices out? heh I thought I was the only one that did that" she giggled lightly before smirking "Sorry, getting off topic, you want some food?"

"Than again I could just make a- What the what?!" She blurted out, making all eyes turn towards the commotion. Ruby's eyes widened in pure confusion though to some it would look like she could barely keep her wroth down, her mouth hung open almost making a triangle shape while her body was as stiff as a statue. What looked to be a harlequin with a smile so big and sweet that you'd swear that she knew where to hide bodies, just casually walked up to the scorcher and just introduced herself without fear. "Uh... Just... I'm sorry, what? who are you?" almost adding 'What are you' to that. This didn't seem real or like a possibility that could happen.

Little did people know.... Or they already knew. Ruby due to the risk of always being assassinated in her life, left her with poor social skills and little to no understanding of some cues. In a more simple way to put it. She didn't know what to do right now.

She wasn't angry, she wasn't sad or annoyed. Confused Oh definitely. Werry, a little bit but judging by this girls accent she wasn't a Confederacy so the jury was still out in that. Rubies head was a like a hurricane of thoughts. 'Do I tell her to piss off? No. She hasn't done anything to me.... Well besides putting me in this situation. Do I go with her? What than? Just talk about stuff, but what? All I do is training, studying, sewing, reading, battling. Repeat! " The moment food came into the conversation, was when Rubies stomach started to growl again. "Yes..." 'Hells to this'. She couldn't think on an empty stomach. However, her response did have others in the crowd on guard some even considering calling the DD just to make sure. Glaring at the rats murmuring behind her back. "I think I need a change of scenery anyway."

Iris linked her arm through Ruby's, guiding her towards the cafe that she had just left. Taking no notice of the shocked and confused look on the other girls face, it was a look she received often. She felt a tightening in her chest, excitement? she wasn't sure. It had been a very long time since she had physical contact with someone else, as well as just talking to someone who didn't tell her to piss off. She returned to the table that she had abandoned her cup of coffee at, "So why is everyone avoiding you like you got a disease huh? you mentally ill too? is that too personal to ask? just tell me to shut up if it is, I talk a lot, I will shh now" she muttered, the words spilling out of her. 'Perhaps I had too much coffee' she thought to herself.

Iris fished around for her card "What do you want to eat? it's my treat, you don't have to thank me, I'm just feeling nice, you like coffee?" she asked before putting a finger to her lips, signalling she was at least trying to be quiet and not let the excitement of actually being spoken to get to her, it was just a symptom of her issue that made her emotions intense, all emotions.

Her glare that could melt steel changed into what could best be described as surprised yet expecting. The girl linked her arm with Rubies making a connection that seemed cast-iron, even if Ruby thought about running away it was too late now. "What have I gotten myself into." There was something akin to fear in her voice, this colorful girl seemed too much.

The rapid firing of questions did start to wear on the scorchers nerves, especially the one about mental illnesses.... Sure this girl was technically right but even as social- devoided as Ruby became she knew that that type of question was a 'none of your fucking business' one. Wait. Did she just say she didn't know who Ruby was? "You have no idea who I am?" Ruby would have been offended if she wasn't sure this girl was a pulling her chain. "I'm Ruby. Ruby the scorcher." Sitting down at the table parallel to this stranger. "The reasons they are avoiding me.... Are complicated. Ok, I say complicated but its actually simple. But not really. GAH! Let's just say that my reasons for doing what I do are more than skin-deep." She crossed her legs together her long black dress revealing her porcelain shoulders and noticeably large cleavage. This might be showy to others but to Ruby it seemed normal. She twirled her hand in the air while looking over a menu, she might start with a small snack for now since she docent wants to bleed the girl dry. "I. Might have put a few," 'a lot' "Of people in the infirmary last time I was here. But that's the curse of being too damned powerful.... Not like I like hurting people." A scoff was audible behind Ruby. Turning around violently almost a blur. "Alright who has the balls!" Everyone behind her remained quiet. "Thoughts so." Attempting to make eye contact with this strange girl, that came to her. 'Damn it! you might have just scared away someone that just wanted to be nice to you!' "Sooooo." Ruby clearly felt awkward after that outburst. "You are?"

Iris shrugged, her expression blank "Not a clue, I mean I've heard of you, kind of . . . I mean I heard of a fight" she muttered as she tried to think about who she was talking to, she waved it away dismissively "But nah I don't know about this scorcher business . . . not that it's my business . . . I mean I know I ask a lot of questions, I don't mean to be vexing" she muttered with another shrug. She then listened to just why people avoided getting close to this woman, although she didn't seem like the type to want to do damage.

Iris watched the outburst and felt a chuckle escape her, she couldn't help it, the look on the peoples face as Ruby threatened them was just funny to her "Ohhh did you see their face! what a treat! you scared them . . . funny eh" she giggled shaking her head. Iris was similar once, quick to lash out at anyone who so much as uttered a bad word about her, the counselling had helped deal with that somewhat. She fiddled with the light blue sleeve of her jumper, preferring to keep her tattoos hidden. She then giggled again "Ha I'm Iris, didn't I just tell you that? wait did I tell you that or did I forget?" she muttered trying to remember if she hadn't just bumbled up to a stranger without at least giving a name "Sorry, I'm a bit forgetful, when I'm happy I just tend to be a bit of a word mess, and as for hurting people, don't worry about it, what's done is done right, don't need to explain yourself to me, I've been there done that . . . I'm gonna shut it now, don't wanna piss you off anymore than I probably have" she muttered, once again pressing a finger to her lips with a polite smile.

'Laughing? what is she, trying to make fun of me?! Is she mocking me!?' Ruby should have been angry, she wanted to... But she couldn't. She couldn't help it Iris laugh was too damned infectious, the faces Ruby made seem like they tried to be angry while also trying to hold in her own case of the giggles. "It was pretty damn funny." She admitted chuckling. Hell, this girl wasn't something she could get mad at. "And don't worry about being Vexing. Trust me if you step out of line, you'll be the first to know it." Her smile was genuine and almost playful, Ruby actually was having a pretty good time.

Ruby let out a long hard sigh of relief, seeming to melt into her seat when someone finally. FINALLY! Gave her a break on the fights. "God I know! Yet everyone keeps thinking I'm going to, I don't, no, eat them or blow them up or something. I'm only a hardass on people when they start to give me shit, eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. A fact no one can seem to wrap their little heads around! Seriously! Do I just not have enough shit to deal with? O great deity I've never heard of what sin did I commit in my past life to make my life suck!" Ruby huffed and puffed breathing out actual smoke from her mouth, she. She needed that. It wasn't as bombastic or crude as she would have liked but it was enough to let some stress out. "Sorry 'huff, huff' I just... Haven't been having the best 2 days." A smile then started to form on Rubies face, "The funny thing is. You should be pissing me off," She laughed a little. "But your just making it so difficult. By the way, Iris, are you by chance named after the god?" It was then a waiter came to take their order. "Ah right, food." Ruby than proceeded to order at least 8 different food items most of them very high in calories, along with one cup of coffee. "And that should hold me over."

Iris fiddled with a strand of hair as Ruby chatted away "I tend to not worry about it, it's more like a forewarning . . . I annoy people a lot" she muttered with a shrug before a bright smile stretched her lips. She wondered for a moment at how long it had been since she had had a full conversation with someone who wasn't a teacher. Okay sure this girl was a bit brash but Iris was fairly similar in that regard. Iris spent months trying to not feel anger, an impossible feat of course but for a while she just wanted to feel something else other than intense anger, hatred and sadness. She was quick to resort to violence first hand rather than use it as a last resort.

"Me too, they don't seem to get it . . . if you're gonna dish out be ready to take it back you know . . . you would've thought if they didn't want to get hit so bad they wouldn't be stupid enough to chuck around words like knives at you" she snapped, her gaze focused on the strands of hair between her fingers. She released she had lost her concentration and smiled again "Oops, temper temper" she muttered before a waiter came over, whilst Ruby ordered half the menu Iris thought about the question given. In truth she had no idea if she was named after some god, it wasn't like her mother was ever eager to dish out details on the Harington family let alone any details concerning her own daughter. Iris ordered another coffee and asked for both orders to go to her card before glancing back to Ruby "I have no clue, need to be able to as.k my mum that and well . . . she ain't around no more" she finished, Iris rarely spoke of her family, especially her mother but she felt that Ruby would get that somethings were best left in the closet of skeletons.

"Yeah. But thems the breaks, Its a dog eat dog world." Ruby rested the back of her head on her arms, looking into the sky. How long had it been since she actually talked to someone in a friendly.... Well, almost friendly manner? The question was short lived as the waiter brought a serving table, filled to the brim with piping hot food and drink that wouldn't be too out of place in a 5- star restaurant. "Thank god I was dying of starvation." Putting a napkin on her knees and tying it around her neck. It was more out of habit really after her guardian taught her or more accurately forced her to learn table manners, it was a pain but a pain that had become natural.

Before Ruby took a bite out of some delicious looking bacon wrapped pancakes she noticed the slight change in tone of Iris. It was fast and one could easily miss it but Ruby had sharp eyes and ears, it seemed that Ruby rants and inquiries had triggered something in the young lady even if so briefly it was something she could understand and empathize with. Even more so was the information that came next.

"I have no clue, need to be able to as.k my mum that and well . . . she ain't around no more"

Her heart stopped, in fact, everything around her seemed frozen in time. She started to see more of her in this girl than what she had imagined. It was like looking into a fun-house mirror, the shape would be warped and twisted but there was something of yourself that could be recognized something that was so different yet so similar... Loss. "Oh..." Ruby wanted to comfort her. Wanted to tell her to be strong and fight-on. But pity was something no self-respecting individual wanted. "What class are you in?" It wasn't the best way to change the subject as to not open old wounds but Ruby knew that anyone with a troubled past would take any opportunity to change the subject. Placing her finger into her coffee it seemed as if Ruby was testing how hot it was, a second later however her coffee started to Boil as if it was water ready for cooking pasta, taking a drink would seem suicidal or at the very least bone-headed. Ruby just drank it like nothing was wrong and continued her conversation with this interesting character.

Iris took her coffee, some might have waited for the drink to cool down. Iris however was perfectly fine drinking a scalding drink, having a heightened tolerance for extreme temperatures had it's bonuses. Iris always considered it one of the small things her mother had managed to give her. She looked at the plates of food and felt a moment of shock, at how this woman, who was in no way on the heavy side able to take in all those calories. Iris herself barely ate, getting her energy from small meals and neon. That was always a hard one to explain, her father had been able to manipulate neon light, as use it to his will, absorb it, and naturally to weaponize it.

Iris had gained those abilities, although there wasn't many neon lights around campus to just causally absorb lights, not that she probably would on campus, she was strange enough as it was without drawing more attention. She felt somewhat grateful for the change in conversation, her mother was not a pleasant memory to revisit. "Class C, nothing special, third year" she muttered taking another mouthful of coffee as she thought about her last 3 years at the academy. They seemed to have just flown by, like she had been on auto pilot all this time.

"Class C eh?" Taking a bite out of a rather nice looking stack of pancakes. Her magic while powerful in its destructive capabilities and variety did cause her to burn through calories faster than a normal human, so she needed to consume more food than the average person. "Well, you made it this far so that's an accomplishment in of itself. Myself I'm a second year, class A.... or was going to be in Class A." Frowning Ruby just reminded herself of the situation she was in.

Iris watched with fascination as the woman took chunks out of the food, she noticed the frown and figured she wouldn't ask about why she Ruby hadn't made it to Class A. Considering the girl was already having a tough time of it. She sipped at her coffee quietly, Iris could've gone up in the classes, however she had never been quite ambitious enough, it was luck enough that she had made it into the academy.

"Ah well, try, fail and try again" she muttered with a shrug, there wasn't much point she felt in trying to comfort the other woman with regards to grades, she felt that pity was something that Ruby definitely wouldn't accept.

Slamming her fists on the table, the resulting action gaining the attention of everyone around them. "I did try, they took my hard work away from me!" Ruby did yell or scream but she definitely didn't whisper that. The rage on her face all too evident, her body seemed like it was trying to hold in an ocean of this inside; Without consciously doing so Ruby chanted her little spell that kept her emotions under control. After what seemed like 5 minutes Rubies body relaxed, her breathing returned to a normal pace.

Red started to cross Rubies face. 'I blew up again.... Damn it! This spell isn't working like the doctor said it should!' She had learned this spell just to keep from going berzerk like she did when someone managed to excite her iron last year. For all intents and purposes it did, but clearly Ruby thought she needed to increase her dosage. "Just... Just pretend that didn't happen." Crossing her arms she turned her face away in embarrassment. "I have issues." She blurted out.

Iris giggled again at the outburst, something about just made her want to laugh. "You know what you need to do then, take it back, we don't need to sleep on the ground" she spoke before downing the rest of her coffee. If there was anything Iris had learned whilst being out on the streets was that being without what she needed didn't make her weak, or beneath anyone. She took what she wanted, when she wanted from whoever she wanted. Although Iris had stopped her days of stealing and petty crime, she still experienced days of complete anger and paranoia. Those were the days she spent on the medical ward.

She grinned and shrugged her shoulders nonchalant "We all got issues, I would say it's okay to get angry sometimes but for people like you and me, anger takes us place" she muttered, looking towards the crowds "None of them know where we've been, what we have done, they don't our story, so they couldn't get how we feel, but we don't know how they feel either, they've probably got issues themselves" she muttered before her gaze switched back to Ruby "You gonna finish your pancakes?"

Again the giggling should have set her off but Ruby just couldn't get mad at this girl, it was like she was bewitched, every time this girl would get on her nerves a witch would just come out of no were and cast a charisma spell on Iris. "Take it back?" It sounded tempting, downright seductive even. Ruby even gave a devilish smile at the idea.... Before cold, cruel reality set in, turning her smile into a grimace, Viktoria had her dead to rights, the authority and the power to send Ruby home with no chance of ever graduating from this or any other school. Hope still did beam in Ruby however, there must be a way out of this their is always a loop-hole in these types of situations, it was only a matter of finding it.

Gazing at the crowd with Iris she couldn't help but think. How sad. Everyone had a story true, and everyone had a mask to hide the pain away, but if there is anything Ruby has learned in her 8 years of surviving Assassination attempt after Assassination attempt, her trust being ripped to ribbons, and her years of isolation from anyone that would care. "Yeah, everyone's got a story. The worlds heard it so many times, it stopped caring about 'your' problems long ago. No one wants to help you unless its to get you to stop acting out." She muttered to herself, her gaze switching back to her pancakes. "Yes they are mine, get your own!" She said before stuffing them into her face. And then delicately wiping her cheeks with her handkerchief.

Iris smirked as the pancakes disappeared from her site "You don't necessarily need be vengeful about it, I thought revenge would help me . . . and I felt nothing . . . you're on this school council business now right? so take it out on the people that deserve it" she muttered, her thoughts flashed back to that night in the alley, Iris had been very unbalanced, her heart broken from the breakup she couldn't get a rational sense of thinking, she could only feel, and all she felt then was hatred and a lust for revenge. Her ex had tried to calm her, used the usual sweet words, but it was too late and Iris left a glowing hole in his chest, she remembered the neon glowing around her hand, how the heat of it felt on her face, the wet thud as his body hit the ground. Iris had expected to feel some satisfaction, but she was just empty, nothing.

Her gaze lifted to Ruby's face "What's your plan after this rendezvous?"

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

original.gif

"I can't afford to make any mistakes, I've already underestimated The president's Dog and now all I have to show for it is a humiliating defeat.....And regrets" She whispered the end so low that no one but her could hear it. Ruby might have been a lot of things to a lot of people. A sociopath, Rude, Gloomy, Bitter, A Psychopath. And the list goes on, almost none of it good. Not like she can complain or even argue against the accusations, she had burned so many bridges and hurt so many people, that it was to be expected that she would be demonized. When first arriving at Arcadia she was bitter, angry, and depressed, taking all of her misfortunes out on those who dared to spite her. The feeling of victory and completely destroying her enemies filled her with a sense of euphoria and satisfaction... It never lasted long. Depression would set in and yes even guilt when she did go too far, never killing anyone but close, but it made them stronger! That is what she told herself over and over again that they had learned what it would be like for a mage, how it felt when they faced an enemy of great power and how they might overcome that obstacle! She made them stronger!

It was kill or be killed once they left. Everyone here might smile and make small talk with different races and creeds, but the truth of the matter is. One day, possibly in the near future. They may end up on the battlefield... All bets are off then. The reason the council wants her to be a member is to keep an eye on her, almost like she's a rabid animal that would strike anything that moved. Rediculus. She wasn't an animal or some unstable loon. Ruby was the Culler of the weak, burning it away in a baptism of holy flames. "What comes next? Simple, I lost to Xena so that makes her an obstacle. And Ruby the scorcher burns away any obstacles, to get to the top." She flipped her hair while wearing a smile that beamed with pride. "I've already got a few ideas in the old Library." She pointed to her head.

Iris smiled back in response ""Oh yeah? if you ever need a hand with that you let me know" she muttered with a mischievous grin. Iris enjoyed messing around with people, especially if said people had messed with people she cared about. And whilst she had only known Ruby for at least half n hour she felt that at this point she had a friend. As far as Iris was concerned Ruby could rely on her if need be, she knew how it was to have someone getting in the way of what you wanted. A conflict she had experienced many times of the years. And Iris knew all too well once she was out of this school, if another war came their way it would be very different from this school setting, no control on the battlefield.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
original.gif

Getting up from her seat Ruby started to stretch her arms. it seems like the right one is still a bit stiff, guess that's what I get for being dramatic. Smirking at Iris, clearly flattered by her. "Thanks for the heads up, but I might have to pass. I'm more of a 'do it yourself' kinda girl, you won't know were your at if you don't stand on your own 2 feet." reaching down to touch her toes, her black dress was made in the infirmary and clearly hastily put together, it didn't have the same character or class her other dresses had but it did the trick. even if some first years boys dared to stare at her buxom chest when stretching.

"Speaking of giving a hand... Are you sure you want to pay the bill yourself?" She pointed to the table that was covered in plates that stacked about 2 feet into the air, and Ruby was still kinda hungry.

Atlas walked through the market to the store to pick up some food. She found some good deals on roast and picked out a big chuck roast and some roasting vegetables. She picked out bunch of other various vegetables and meat. She pulled out her fold up cart drone and put her groceries in it and turned on the refrigerator setting to keep them cold.

She made her way home from the store. On the way home, as she neared the cafe she saw a familiar face in there. She walked up behind her and leaned over her shoulder. "Hey Ruby long time no see. Actually never mind the not seeing you part. I've seen you around. I just never got the chance to say hi. So how have you been?" She was excited to see her. Then she noticed Iris. "Oh sorry, forgive my rudeness, I'm Atlas," she said extending a hand in greeting.

Back