Vita Nova [AL]

"Of course, we don't give interviews to hopeless individuals, Keith. You were almost guaranteed to pass from the moment you behaved for long enough to get here and wait your turn." Said Kevve, pulling up their tablet and showing the other three different profiles.

Keith reached out and cautiously touched the tablet. Enkadde, Valled, and Usmmer. They seemed nice. Especially Valled. He didn't know why, but he was drawn to Valled and instinctively nervous about Enkadde. They also had interesting interests. He paused for a moment on Usmmer's file and his attention drifted. Tie-dye? That was interesting. Keith looked down at his white, shirt. He'd never worn any bright colors unless white counted. What if Usmmer made him a tie-dye shirt? That might be nice... What was it going to be like to have companions?

Time passed. Keith seemed to have forgotten he was still in the office as his mind wandered down "what if" trails concerning each of the three companions he was soon to have. His red eyes glazed, a whistful smile playing about his thin lips.

Kevve watched quietly, taking note of Keith's smile. Another point in his favour.

"The three of them are qualified to help you through the new experience, and the three of them have technological enhancements. They'll be able to stop you should you have trouble with... Violence, or thirst, since you seem worried about having trouble being gentle. I don't think it'll be needed, though." They explained, focusing on each profile.

" Enkadde has been to more areas and is the most experienced of the three, they're very reliable and resourceful. Usmmer and Valled are both new, they don't have the experience but they'll make up with enthusiasm and valuable connections." Continued to say Kevve.

"Do make a decision, though. It doesn't have to be permanent. And you'll likely meet the other two options anyway since they'll work in the same area"

Keith jumped when Kevve began speaking again. Realizing he needed to chose one of the three, he looked between them once more. Which would be a fit for him? He had no idea. What constituted a good fit? He wasn't sure, so he decided to go with his gut.

"I think maybe... Val...Vell... uh, this one," he stammered, pointing to the middle picture as he struggled to pronounce the name. "Or perhaps... User? Sorry. Pronouncing names was never a strong suit of mine. I mean no offense."

In response, he got a sharp amused grin and a shrug from Kevve.

"It's no problem, you try your best and listen if they correct you... Or if you prefer, give them a nickname. There are some rules to Bavethjan name sharing. But nicknames is something we're very open to. So if you want to call them Vall or something, I'm sure they'll be okay with it." Said Kevve, dohble tapping Valled's name and then putting ghe tablet away.

" There will be other species in the area where you'll live, Intelligent races. Any in particular you have concerns about for your own... Or their own, safety?" Asked the other, moving on from the companion topic.

Keith dropped his gaze, staring at his loose, silvery pants. He did not really want to answer the question even though he knew he should and that he would have to. His fingers picked at a loose thread in the light-weight material. "I... I have been trying really hard to be good, and I think I am doing okay, but sometimes... I believe things I should not, or I do not understand something clearly. Then I get angry and I become ill-behaved. Sometimes if I am hungry enough, I am more likely to missbehave, and if the blood is compatible, I..." He shrugged. "Many races and people underestimate my strength and power because I am small of build, but bigger, stronger people are safer than small ones." His red eyes came up anxiously. "Does that answer the question? I am not sure it does."

Kevve listened to Keith intently, tapping one of their fingers on the table from time to time.

"I will take it into account, but no... That us not what I meant. Are there any races that you are more likely to attack than others?, how well do you deal with underwater situations?, and would you be willing to do a test of strength so we can properly evaluate and should it be necessary... Contain you?" They continued, being a bit more explicit.

Oh, exact questions! This was easier to answer! He liked satisfying these people. He started counting the questions on his fingers.

"No, I do not think there is a specific race that's more in danger. Except... Munchkins. I hate their singing. But they don't usually travel.

"I have never been underwater, but I don't think I'd be able to breathe water like you.

"Yes, I'd be willing to submit to any tests you would like I have done that before, and I do not mind."

He took a deep breath and counted his fingers. "Hmm... Yes. That is all the questions. So, when do the tests start?"

"Oh, the testing will start once you've already arrived at your destination. Do you have any family or pets that may choose to travel with you?, and also, do you have anyone who might try to hunt you down over revenge and put the rest of the population in danger?" Asked Kevve, continueing with their serious attitude.

While Keith answered, they'd picked back up the tablet, and were now noting down all necessary data in order to place them in a good spot.

Keith shook his head. "I do not have family or pets, and I do not think anyone will try to come after me for revenge. I only have one enemy, um, who knew who I was and what..." He faltered a little. "What I did. He did it with me. I don't know where he is or if he's even alive anymore, and I doubt he can find me anymore. If he does come after me, I will just have to face him. I won't be able to run away, but again, I don't think so." He fell silent, his eyes downcast as he remembered...

"I see..." Said Kevve, typing everything Keith had just said on the tablet.

"We'll need a name, alias or nickname and a description of your past... Partner in crime, if you can find any video or images, too, it'd be very helpful." They continued, smiling a bit.

"Take a few days to look for those, four or five maximum, and then you' ll be ready to join your new home and start anew, Keith." Said Kevve, putting the tablet aside once again.

Keith nodded as he accepted the assignment. "Yes, sir! I will do that," he agreed eagerly. "Um, where do I go once I have completed this? Do I come back here? It will only take me a day to find everything you need. I can find a picture fairly easily, even."

"Good, good. There's no need for you to return here after today, really. We should wrap things up." Said Kevve, standing up from their seat at the desk.

"Keith, welcome to Alien Living." They said with a sharp smile, offering him a hand to shake.

"You'll be given indications on how to proceeed exactly from here once you leave this office. Got it?"

Keith hesitated before taking Kevve's hand and shaking it vigorously. "Yes, sir! Thank you, sir! I will make certain you do not regret this, sir!" he cheered. Then he turned and literally skipped out, cheering quietly but enthusiastically. He walked out the door then gave a jump-heal-click. "I made it!" he squealed excitedly.

He stopped and straightened his shirt. Calm, calm, must be calm a little longer. He looked around and headed in what seemed like the right direction to get his new marching orders. This was so exciting!! His previous tension and worry had transformed into giddy delight.

Behind the next door he stepped through, Keith found a single Bavethjan waiting, with darker skin and green spots here and there. They were in a hallway with just another door at the end of it.

"You're..." They looked at a small, portable mobile device they were holding, and it blipped quietly. "Keith." It wasn't a question.

"I'm here to give you a few things, here..." said the Bavethjan, handing Keith a small, blue bag with the Alien Living logo on it.

"This is the exit, from here you can board a transport that will take you back to where you came from. Open that bag only when you get there, and you'll have your instructions on how to proceed. Got it?" Said the bavethjan, arching their brow.

Keith took the bag and looked it over curiously. After a moment of serious study, he smiled and nodded. "Okay! I can do that," he agreed happily. "Thank you for the bag. I like the color." He headed for the transport, stepping in and settling down in the closest seat.

The trip back wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Once Keith opened the bad he'd find some information and objects that he would find useful when the time came.

The first was a small circular disk that seemed to be the equivalent of a business card. It thanked him for participating in Alien Life and congratulated Keith on his new beginning while playing a quiet but festive little melody.

The second one was a digital tablet device similar to the one office bavethjan had been using. When turned on, it'd ask for Keith to register by putting a finger against the screen so it could register the fingerprint. Inside were some files organised by date that explained how and when his trip would take place.
Keith would have to board a private Alien Life transport where he would meet his companion Valled. It gave directions on where to be at what time and what he should take to begin his new life.

There was a list of common mistakes one could make before leaving a life behind, and it also offered the opportunity to contact someone for help, be it difficulty reaching the provided location, boarding the transport, or advice.

If everything went according to plan, Keith should be on the Aphlos Station by the 3rd Brunner micro-cycle at the beginning of the colder season. There, he would be picked up and taken to his new home. It was within walking distance of his current residence.

The box included a small blue plush, shaped like a water droplet. It vibrated and got rid of tension if the user hugged it. In case one felt uneasy or scared.

Keith explored the bag curiously while he sat cross-legged in the seat. It wasn't necessarily the approved method of travel, but he had a feeling this was going to be a long trip. He held up the business disc and turned it over in his hand, letting it catch the light. They were so kind here! He tucked that away carefully, determined not to lose it.

He pulled out the tablet next. It took him a few minutes of cautious poking to find the on button. He'd never had much reason to use anything like it before, so it was completely foreign to him. He let it fingerprint him - squirming uncomfortably as he remembered all the times he'd tried avoid leaving fingerprints - and skimmed through the files. This he would read through more than once during the trip.

The little plushie came out last. He stared at it, completely mystified. What was this? It looked like a soft, squishy water droplet, but why? He poked it cautiously then nearly dropped it when it started vibrating. So that's what it did. It sure was soft, too.

Keith looked at everything again, read the tablet rapidly, then tucked it away in the bag. Getting out the plushie and the singing card, he curled up in the seat like a child, clinging tightly to the vibrating water droplet, the card singing away near his ear. He rode like that the rest of the way, nearly falling asleep.

Aphlos Station by the 3rd Brunner micro-cycle, 1st snow day in the last decacycle.

After one walked through the travel station, within which Alien Life had its own specific paths designed for their special program, one would find the Vacuos-277. It was a humongous spacecraft, cruise size and probably capable of FTL speeds. Around it, everyone was busy loading in antigrav. crates of food, supplies and sometimes living beings that provided energy or other required materials.

The passengers would access the Vacuos through a transparent, flexiglass tunnel with their luggage. Some of them were already boarding, this particular ship hosting mainly species with four main limbs, of similar sizes and similar needs. Mix in too many different aliens and sustaining them all at the same time would be practically impossible.

The staff was mainly Bavethjan, and while some boarded, Valled walked to the pre-security and pre-scan areas so they could find Keith and guide him through it all. The whole process could be very overwhelming, and it was Valled's job to make it as pleasant as possible.

Keith walked slowly through the tunnel, clutching the strap of his bag as it hung over his thin shoulder. He breathed slowly, forcing himself not to get too excited. There was so much energy and motion in this place! He could barely focus on one thing before something else caught his attention. His steps slowed as he stared out the tunnel down at the people bustling below and around the great craft. It was so huge! It had been a long time since he had been on a spacecraft of that size. Actually, the last time he had been on a ship like that had been when he'd snuck into the cargo hold and hidden behind the crates of live animals. Amazingly, that had worked to trick the scanners into believing he was just another animal.

A shoulder struck his roughly. "Sorry," grunted a thick being as they kept going.

Rattled, Keith gripped the strap tighter and started walking again, following the flow of bodies to the pre-security area. At least his bag was small, mostly containing only the items the Bavethjan had given him and two sets of clothing. That wouldn't set off any scanners, right? He did miss his prized knives, but he knew that would never be acceptable here. He started scanning faces, trying to spot Valled, but he was finding it difficult to remember the picture he'd been given amongst all these strangers.

Back