Ame Damnee Warden's Haven - Hospital

Kian

Humanity's Stargazer
Once used as a Warden's keep, the building was recommissioned almost ten years ago as a hospital for the sick and injured of New Eden. While the hospital does not visually impress, the small horde of nurses and menders ensure that everyone is welcomed and tended to with great care. Maxwell Tethir runs Warden's Haven with a fastidious touch and tends to patients and visitors alike when he can.

Tucked between the fringes of the residential district and the marketplace, the Warden's Haven is an unassuming white-washed building with arching windows and vine-covered garden walls. The entrance into the wall has a modest wood sign mounted on iron poles over the gate with the name 'Warden's Haven', the iron gate itself sits in a permanently open position ever since the hinges rusted tight. A cobbled path leads visitors from the gate, through a wild, overgrown garden, and to the heavy oak entrance. The room to greet them stands the width of the building, but only a third of the length. It is lit by the western facing sun or by the lanterns set between the arching windows. Inside the room are cots, benches, and chairs where temporary guests are tended to. An old desk is tucked in the far left corner, and shelves along the wall around it are organized with herbal remedies and colorful glass bottles of liquid. A hallway at the back of the room leads to long-term accommodations, a surgery, a basement morgue, storage, and a series of small offices before exiting into the back garden.
(Written by Lux)

Warden's Haven
- Back Garden -
Maxwell Tethir
The bells rang clear and long through the chilled winter air. They rang strong and with purpose, no one in New Eden would be able to miss their warbling tones. Maxwell paused the moment of the first bell tole, Dream Catcher's string drawn tight between his fingers and arrow laid and ready to fly. The sound brought him back to the day before, when the sad convoy of wagons wormed their way through the city. The Warden Grandmaster was dead. No one had expected that, and the city was still reeling from the news.

Maxwell had not spoken to anyone who seemed to have a plan yet. The Wardens simply wanted to bury their leader before they thought of what happens next, while the citizens were just concerned, or afraid. Did this mean they were unsafe? Could the Wardens really protect them? It was the same old worry Maxwell had seen every time a mysterious sickness popped up. Few like the unexpected, and a dead Grandmaster was on top of the unexpected list.

A pang in his arm reminded him of the present, and he blinked back to the task at hand. He aimed again, then let the arrow fly. A satisfying thump saw the arrow reach the center of his straw stuffed target and Maxwell lowered his bow, his gaze turned towards the garden wall as the bells finished their familiar song. Two hours. He turned, leaving his arrows but carrying his bow into the familiar hospital. He just needed to ensure no one needed him before he left.

Warden's Haven
- Maxwell's Office -
Maxwell Tethir
Maxwell leaned back into the creaking chair and took in a slow breath. His eyes glanced over his shoulder to the window outside. It was almost time for the funeral procession. Two hours and not a single patient. That wasn't bad for such a sad day.

Well, he couldn't be delaying the inevitable forever. He leaned forward to set aside the quill and close his journal. He took care to put away his journal and various tools of his trade before he stood from his desk and left his office. His clothes were that of the formal Warden attire, slightly modified to identify himself as a healer. He would walk the city as he had done for the last ten years: as a warden. The people of New Eden would be happy to see their protectors are still strong.

He stopped Rosie on his way out - his most trusted assistant. She ran the nurses with an iron fist and he trusted her to hold down the fort while he was gone. They spoke briefly before he said his goodbyes and left the Haven's grounds. It was time for a funeral.

Warden's Haven
- Front Gate -
Maxwell Tethir
Maxwell did not expect to be returning to his Haven so soon after leaving. The funeral was going to be a lengthy affair, and he had promised his nurses that he would be returning after dark. Things rarely work out as planned, though, and he mused over the idea as together he and Adoneus crossed the threshold and stepped onto the cobbled path surrounded by mostly winter-dormant plants.

"Master Tethir, what ever happened?" A stern, suspicious voice rose Maxwell's gaze towards the building, finding Rosie and a few other nurses at the door. Rosie herself came out to meet them, her hands taking Adoneus' other arm.

"Just found myself a patient." Maxwell assured, "Rosie, this is Adoneus, son of the Northstein baker woman." He introduced them and the nurse smiled a genuinely friendly smile, "Lets get him inside and settled."

| Adoneus Northstein |
___________________________________________________________________________Warden's Haven_____________________________________________________________________________

Adoneus smiles and nods, not only because of Maxwell's humorous advice on climbing trees but also because of how his trust-claiming worked once again, it may be a double-edged sword to be trusted by almost everyone he talks to, but that was by far better than no sword at all. But again his walk to the hospital gets interrupted, this time by a pwerful voice adressing him, he winces at the sudden loud voice and looks up to see Raakshdos approaching Maxwell and him, "why does a warden like him even pay attention to me...?" he wonders.

The young man wants to answer Raakshdos but before he can, the warden already begins to give a speech, which calls into question if that manreally cares, or just pretends to be in favor of New Eden's citizens... he looks up at Maxwell to check his reaction so see if he was as confused as himself.
It indeed looked like even Maxwell wasn't sure what to think of this, with a puzzled frown on his forehead Adoneus keeps walking next to the healer, "Of what Raakshdos said..?" he responds, surprised by the free-spoken question, "I don't know Raakshdos any more than what he looks like or what people talk about him... and what I hear is that he is a ...." he stops for a second and makes sure no other warden is close "...stern person, to put it mildly.." he adds with a cheeky smile to Maxwell.

He feels a wave of relief coming over him when they finally arrive at Warden's Haven, no more walking. Adoneus follows the conversation between Maxwell and the nurse with his eyes," Rosie.." he repeats in his thoughts, hoping to keep the name in mind this way "Hello, I hope I won't make you too much work... I heard hospitals are often quite busy..." he says, smiling kindly but with his weakness clearly written on his face.

Reactions: Lux
Warden's Haven
- Front Room -
Maxwell Tethir

Maxwell cast Adoneus a brief, amused glance when he called Raakshdos a 'stern' person. That was a perfectly correct, perfectly cordial response. Cheeky sod, thought himself clever with a fever and a head wound. Didn't matter if he was being clever, he was still cheeky.

Rosie patted Adoneus gently on the shoulder as together they brought him up the few steps and into the front room of Haven. Inside was warm against the cool air outside, and over half of the cots sat empty for the afternoon. Maxwell glanced at the few new faces that arrived in his absence. No one looked as in need of his attention as Adoneus, so he dismissed them from his mind and let Rosie lead them to the nearest cot for the young man's sake.

"Don't you think anything about that," Rosie fussed, "You just worry about how you are getting better."

They sat him down on the cot, Maxwell ensuring that he didn't try to collapse roughly upon it - if he fell from a tree he may have other, hidden injuries he wasn't mentioning. Maxwell and Rosie exchanged a glance and she went to fetch some items from the shelves across the room while Maxwell grabbed a stool by the door and settled in front of him, but he didn't sit down. "Stay right here. I'm going to change and wash the hands." He encouraged before he walked away.

Rosie returned moments after with a small bowl and smoldering herbs inside. She set it on the stool and slid both between Adoneus' knees and drawing his head to hover over the bowl and in the path of the slow rising smoke, "Deep breaths, love. This will help with the pain."

| Adoneus Northstein |
___________________________________________________________________________Warden's Haven_____________________________________________________________________________

Adoneus has never been here before, or in any hospital at all, his mother always knew what to do when he or his siser didn't feel well, so there never was the need to, even though he would really like to get his mother here at least once, she keeps getting weaker and she often complains about her arms hurting from kneading the dough.. but she has always been very strong willed and independent, probably too strong willed for her own good as Adoneus thinks amused.

Inside it smelled like all kinds of herbs, he couldn't even tell which by all those different scents combined, to his surprise the smell was quite pleasant and not too pungent. Adoneus couldn't figure out what it exactly was, but this place made him feel at ease like no other place except his home itself, maybe there was some kind of herbal steam used to calm the patients? Or the beautiful building itself, the nice nurses... but his assumption is that it was Maxwell himself whose calming aura merged with this building, Adoneus had lots of respect for the man he met just a few minutes ago, he may not know him long, but he felt like a very positive and wise soul.

He watches as Maxwell leaves, there it was again, that pulsating, burning pain in the back of his head, he holds with his hands tight onto the edge of the cot, trying to fight the pain by what he only tenses up, making his headache worse. With sickly glassy looking eyes he looks at Rosie and does as she says, he takes one deep breath and coughs upon the smoke getting into his lungs, unsure if this was normal or not he glances up at Rosie, judging by her unaltered expression this wasn't unusual, so he closes his eyes and takes another deep breath, it kind of itches in his airways, so he breathes out again, with every breath he now took, the itch was getting weaker and he soon felt his pain beginning to mitigate.

Warden's Haven
- Front Room -
Maxwell Tethir
Rosie patted the young man's shoulder encouragingly as he drew in the swirling smoke. Around them the motions of the patients and staff were quiet and subdued, but no less busy as the staff moved among the cots. Those in the cots, initially curious to the newcomer, had returned to their quiet milling. The wards held strong, and Maxwell's return only helped to encourage the gentle, healing atmosphere. On top of that all, there hadn't been an emergency that day - Rosie chocked that up to the funeral, as sad as that was at least that was a small, small blessing.

"Thats it, dear" she continued to encourage the young man. She hadn't missed the expression he had been wearing when she approached with the bowl. He was in pain, though he was trying very hard to mask it, the poor boy. "We'll take care of you, sweetheart, just keep breathing."

The smoke would help ease the pain in his head, and would cause a gentle, floaty feeling. It would be easy to drift off, and Rosie held to his shoulder, ensuring he kept upright and in place until Maxwell's steps approached. He was - happily - out of his formal wear and down to a vest, undershirt, and pants. He left the jacket in his haste to return, and in his hand was a jar of pale green salve and a bag was slung over his shoulder. "Thank you, Rosie," He said, and the nurse pat Adoneus on his shoulder and picked up the bowl so Maxwell could take its place on the stool, settling right in front of the young man.

Rosie stepped away, the bag and jar went on the small wooden side table, and Maxwell's focus went to Adoneus, "Now, I'm going to touch you to check you over, let me know if anything I do makes you feel uncomfortable." He smiled, encouraging, as he laid cool hands across his lower jaw, fingers curling gently down along the base of his skull. His eyes closed and he focused, his magic spreading through Adoneus, searching for where his body was fighting the hardest. The head, of course, was the highlight of his search, but Maxwell sought further, looking for what else might be hidden under the dangerous infection.

| Adoneus Northstein |

Just when Adoneus got used to inhaling the smoke and almost began to enjoy it, Rosie removes the bowl, leaving the boy almost disappointed. He feels the heat coming up inside him again, does this mean the fever goes up or down? He couldn't remember anymore. Happy about Maxwell being back he gives off a slight smile and straightens his posture into an upright sitting position again, curious he looks at the jar the healer is holding "Mh, what is that..?" he asks with a drowsy tone to his voice.

The content inside the jar was a pale green... he tried to think of something that was green and useful for his wound, but he couldn't recall anything, or maybe it wasn't made of herbs? Adoneus always carried a tiny bottle of Myrrh with him to disinfect scratches and other wounds as first aid, but myrrh wasn't green.

He raises his head a bit to make it easier for Maxwell to inspect, "I will." Adoneus affirms calmly and closes his burning eyes a bit.

When Maxwell spreads his magic through the young man's body, a bit lower something reacts to that with an impulse which makes Adoneus twitch and reach for his side, he had a broken rib, somehow he hadn't noticed yet, the pain on and in his head probably covered the pain he felt due to the broken rib. Aside from that, nothing seemed out of place or hurt, but a strange inbalance could be felt, something had changed inside Adoneus with the incident, but at the moment it was too vague to really tell what it was.

Warden's Haven
- Front Room -
Maxwell Tethir
Maxwell hummed quietly at the question Adoneus posed towards his jar, but he didn't answer right away as his magic was set upon its task in searching Adoneus for injuries. It flowed easily through the willing body, telling Maxwell what he needed to know. His body was running hot to fight the dangerous wound on his head. Even with Maxwell's touch earlier the infection response was still threateningly close to blood poison. Had Adoneus waited another day, he may not have had the chance to get to this bed at all.

Maxwell kept that thought to himself, instead he focused on the lighter issues, "Broken rib." He identified for Adoneus when he touched his side, "it isn't serious, but I can help with the pain if you like." He offered, though he doubted Adoneus even noticed with the ache in his head distracting him.

Maxwell's expression twitched, just briefly, before he was able to mask it again. He wasn't sure what he was feeling as his magic searched. It was as if the entire landscape had tilted a bit. Not one thing was wrong, but all together it was.. off. He had never felt this before, but he did as he always did when presented with a new problem. He assessed it, tucked it away, and would mull over it again when the emergency was over. "That was a terrible fall." He said as his fingers slid away and he released Adoneus.

He reached for the jar and shook it in his hand, the contents inside stayed put. "Turmeric, yarrow, plantain and garlic." He smiled, letting it sink in before he continued, "patients complained of the ugly color and smell, so I enchanted the jar." He smirked before setting it down and moved to unwind the temporary bandage over Adoneus' head. "I'm going to dress your wound, then you're going to have some tea and take a nap."

| Adoneus Northstein |

While Maxwell was searching his body for other injuries, Adoneus opens his eyes again and takes his time to calmly browse through the room, he could feel a slight, flow-like feeling inside him, that must be the healers' magic. His attention jumps back to Maxwell when he mentions a broken rib, making Adoneus gasp in surprise "What...? I didn't even notice..." he looked down at himself, a sharp pain shot through his left side "....but now that you say it, I can feel it." he mumbles, now wishing he could delete that knowledge which caused the pain to emerge.

The warden let's go of Adoneus who sinks back into a more hunched over sitting position, he kind of resembles a potato sack the way he sits there now "I never fell unconscious before so I guess it was.." he says with a short chuckle to ease his own distress.

He looked back at the jar while Maxwell explained what the paste consisted of, he frowns slightly upon hearing the word "plantain", he never heard of that, but decides not to ask any further "Oh, I actually like the color.." he admits, glancing at the jar another time to reassure he liked the colour.

Adoneus' white hair was almost completely covered in dried blood, ranging from fresh red to solid black on the back of his head, the most severe area was around the wound where the hair was already clumping due to all the old blood and pus, it was by far not a pleasant sight. "I couldn't sleep last night, I hope that won't be the case now." he wheezes, trying to fan some air in his face by using his hand.

Warden's Haven
- Front Room -
Maxwell Tethir
"Its enchanted to appear green," Maxwell smiled at Adoneus insistence, "Its real color is somewhere along the brown spectrum. People didn't want me putting brown stuff in their wounds." He couldn't imagine why. He carefully finished peeling off the already soaked bandages - mostly from puss and oily discharge. He tugged Adoneus to lean forward and Maxwell carefully peeled back his matted hair to check the wound directly. New growth had occurred where Maxwell had pressed it to heal earlier, but the wound itself was swollen and a furious red. It was still oozing angrily.

He glanced up when the young Bernard brought him a bucket and a sponge and with an appreciative nod from Maxwell, the nurse took the bandaging and left them to dispose of them, "You couldn't sleep because of the pain?" Maxwell asked, glancing to Adoneus' eyes, fingers reaching out to touch his cheek. Still fevered. "we need to get this cleaned and treated. I want you to lay down with your shoulders at the end of the cot. We're going to clean up this mess and give the wound more room to breath." He urged, standing up to help him lay down on his back, his long hair dropping into the half filled bucket.

Maxwell took Adoneus' head in his hands as he settled, supporting it's weight and keeping the strain off of the wound as Bernard and another young nurse returned. Together, they carefully began to wash out the blood and the infection from his hair.

| Adoneus Northstein |

"Oh, haha, I was already wondering if I had a weird taste in colour or perhaps hallucinating different colours.." he comments kiddingly, he holds completely still when Maxwell takes a look at the wound, he feels how moist the bandages are when they are loosened, that sure wasn't a good sign, or maybe it was, his thoughts circulate around that question. He watches the nurse set down a bucket in front of the cot, "Not only because of the pain, my whoel body felt miserable, I was tired to no end but somehow my body wouldn't let me sleep." He sighs with his eyes fixating the sponge swimming in the bucket, it reminded him of the weekends when he went out to the local pond to go fishing.

Understanding Adoneus nods and lies back down with the help of Maxwell, he felt quite uncomfortable, dirty, letting others wash his filthy hair, a feeling of shame added to his concerns, "I am sorry for my hair being... like that... I just didn't manage to wash it and I didn't expect the whole thing to get so bad that others would have to wash it..." he tries to explain himself, watching their faces as his hair is being washed.

Warden's Haven
- Front Room -
Maxwell Tethir
Maxwell settled, quietly focused on drawing the clean white color out of his hair. Him and his two nurses were gentle and methodical, their work gently exposing his handsome mane of hair. Adoneus spoke, apologetic and embarrassed. Maxwell sympathized, knowing what it feels like to appear weak and vulnerable, forced to allow strangers to tend to such personal tasks. All of that on top of suffering the pain and uncertainty that came with getting hurt.

"Washing your hair certainly wasn't a priority, nor should it have been." Maxwell reminded him gently, fingers brushing along his hot forehead, brushing away his hair from his face while pressing in the calm, much like he had earlier today.

"Your hair is very handsome," The young nurse, Sarah, said, as they cleared out most of the blood, his hair becoming a flowing wave of white. Gently they bound up his hair away from the wound and then they replaced the bucket with a bowl of mixed herbs soaked in water.

"This part will hurt," Maxwell said, gentle but reassuring, "we need to clean the wound. Remember not to move."

"If you need something to bite on." Bernard added, as he pressed a leather wad into Adoneus' hand before the wash began with clean cloth soaked in the bowl of herb water. They washed out the puss and cleaned the open wound, washing out as much of the infection as they could muster.

| Adoneus Northstein |

Inside, Adoneus admitted that washing his hair wasn't a top priority in his condition, but he couldn't completely ignore the shame it made him feel. The pale skin and rosy cheeks made the young man look almost like a fragile porcelain doll. His overall elegant appearance, enhanced by the long white hair and charming facial features matched the way a prince would be described in some corny romance novel.

He look up at the nurse who compliments his hair and chuckles lightly " If a beauty like yours says so, I have no choice but to believe it, hm?" Adoneus responds with a charming smile before looking back up at the ceiling again. Living with two women in his house, Adoneus was taught good manners, especially when dealing with females. In general he was always very polite, at most he would make cheeky comments, but he would never be rude.

The young man nods and closes his eyes, preparing himself mentally for the pain that was about to come. Something is being pressed into his hand, so he opens his eyes once again to look at the leather wad, "I am sure I am not the first to bite that.." he thinks, hesitating at first, but shoves the wad between his teeth anyhow.

As much as he didn't like to admit it, the pain was horrible, a some points it felt like parts of his brain would be pouring out of the wound, as disgusting as it sounds. If the leather wad wouldn't be there, he probably would've bitten off his own lip, but he remained mostly silent during the whole procedure. The only signs that disclosed his pain undeniably, were the occasional gasps and his tensing muscles whenever he struggled with the urge to scream.

Last edited:
Warden's Haven
- Front Room -
Maxwell Tethir

Maxwell smirked as the young Sarah blushed at Adoneus’ charming words. She trusted he meant them completely, her high cheeks and the tips of her visible ears reddened as she looked to him, smiled, then quickly went back to work. Maxwell thought him ridiculous, sitting on a hospital cot and still enough cheek to flirt with the nurses.

The wound itself, of course, gave no room for light words and silly jokes. It was real and it was miserably painful. Even with the effects of the smoke earlier, they all knew Adoneus would feel every bit of it, but neither Maxwell nor his nurses were foolish enough to try to make things easier on him. No, they had to do this right the first time.

His wounds were scrubbed clean until there was nothing but open flesh and swollen red wound. It shined angrily and still gave off a terrible heat, but they had fought back the infection this far, and the war was soon to be won.

“You did well, Adoneus. We’re almost over.” Maxwell stood, leaving them briefly to wash his hands once more and returned to take the jar and the mixture within. “Almost over,” He repeated, pressing a hand onto Adoneus’ shoulder, encouraging, as he moved to sit again. The jar was opened and a wad of bandages were covered in the brown mixture.

Adoneus’ wound was packed with that wad, and a fresh line of bandages spun tight around his head, keeping it in place. Maxwell tied the ends, and Bernard moved to help Adoneus back up into the sitting position, his white hair left in buns for the time being.

| Adoneus Northstein |

Adoneus didn't even respond when he hears Maxwell talk to him, he was staring blank at the ceiling, in front of his eyes fish were forming out of the white of the ceiling, spining in a slow pace. The constant pain numbed the young man's senses and seems to have triggered another hallucination, which he watches with a dazed smile, totally calm and without any pain, at least for the moment.

Goosebumps spread all over Adoneus' body as he feels the cool paste touch his wound the first time, everything felt very slow right now. His eyes search for fishes that were in the ceiling just seconds ago, but they were gone, he didn't understand what was happening anymore, so he just closes his eyes, hoping, waiting for it to pass. Finally, when Bernard helps him to get up, that odd feeling was gone, time was passing normally again, still not completely sure he looks through the room, to his delight there was nothing bizarre going on again. He was freezing again, a thin film of cold sweat covering his face and shaking body, "Already over..?" he tries his best to sound ironic, but his brittle voice makes it obvious that he wasn't feeling well at all.

Warden's Haven
- Front Room -
Maxwell Tethir

Maxwell hadn’t caught on to Adoneus’ departure until Bernard began to help him up. Only then did he see Adoneus’ shift back into reality and Maxwell quickly reviewed the last half hour, realizing that the young man had checked out shortly before they were finishing up.

Not exactly promising, Maxwell mused, as he came to sit down in front of Adoneus again as he tried to make light of the situation again. It didn’t sound as convincing as it had before, “All done.” Maxwell promised as he wiped Adoneus’ brow down with a rag, “Let’s skip the tea. I think it’s time for you to sleep, don’t you?” He encouraged, his hands disappearing for a moment, only to return to gently slip a Cherry Plum flower behind his ear.

The enchanted flower brushed along his skin, distracting him from the pain, reminding him of his exhausted body, the magic laid upon the flower now spread through Adoneus, leading him towards sleep. Maxwell himself helped the boy lay down on the cot again, this time right side up and on his side to avoid pressure on both his rib and his wound. It wasn’t perfect, Adoneus would still ache, but Maxwell hoped it would be enough.

| Adoneus Northstein |

By now Adoneus was sturggling with keeping his eyes open, his eyelids had become heavy, it seemed like his body would finally allow him asleep now that the wound had been treated properly, "That sounds like a good idea..." he mumbles, smiling softly at the healer in front of him. He follows Maxwell's hand with his eyes, he frowns at the sight of the flower, wondering what it was good for "A nice gesture..? " he assumes with great uncertainty in his mind.

Whatever the flower was for, the man knew what he was doing, so Adoneus had no doubt. But while Maxwell was helping him to lay own, the boy notices his eyelids getting even heavier, the pain that was still flaming in his body was annoying, but it faded very slowly, along with his consciousness.

"Maxwell is your name, right..?" Adoneus had opened his eyes quickly before he could drift away to thank the man who probably saved his life, he had witnessed the archangel from before on the marketplace say the healer's name, but he wasn't quite sure if he remembered it right. "Thank you.." he says almost too quiet to be heard, with an expression that showed nothing but exhaustion.

He watched Maxwell for a few more seconds from the corner of his eyes, before succumbing to his much-needed sleep.

Warden's Haven
- Front Room -
Maxwell Tethir

Maxwell paused with his hand resting on Adoneus’ arm, the question had drawn his eyes back to the young man. The question had startled him. Most knew his name already, at this point, but he tipped his chin down in a nod nevertheless, “Yes, Maxwell,” He hummed, feeling a little refreshed to know not everyone knew his face right away. The thank you that came next was whispered, Maxwell might have missed it if he had not been watching Adoneus when he said it.

Maxwell didn’t bother replying, though. Adoneus was already sinking, thank goodness, so instead he pat the poor boy on the shoulder before he stepped back and eyed Adoneus as a whole now that he had relaxed into sleep. He really was young, barely considered a man, and he was far too thin and pale. His face was flushed with fever and Maxwell wondered if he lift that shirt it would his ribs be bruised? What else? They would have to remove his shirt anyways - sweat and blood stained as it was, but that could wait until he woke up. And what about that strange feeling he felt earlier? He’d touched dozens of people with similar, or worse stages of infections and he’d never found that odd imbalance. Hell, he’d never felt something like that before, nothing he could remember anyways.

He worried, somewhat. Could the fall have damaged his mind in any way? Maxwell had thought concussion, earlier, but enough time had passed since his fall for the worst signs of a concussion to fade - or worsen - and Maxwell hadn’t seen enough evidence to convince him that was the culprit. It was something though, certainly.

Those strings of thought derailed as he felt a touch on his shoulder. Rosie stood there, offering him a cup of tea, “You’re a good man, Maxwell, bringing home hurt puppies as you do.”

Maxwell’s smile was tight, but he accepted the tea, “He would have found his way here sooner or later. Uriel found him before I.”

“Bless that angel,” Rosie smiled, “Will you be returning to the funeral? I’m sure this one will sleep for hours.”

“Hmm?” Maxwell blinked. Ah yes, the funeral. It was likely in full force now at the Cathedral. Uriel was to speak, as was several others. His gaze lingered over Adoneus. “.. no, I don’t think I will be.” He quirked an eyebrow at Rosie, “I mean, how exciting could a funeral possibly get?”

Rosie smacked him on the shoulder, fussing at his sacrilegious talk. Maxwell only chuckled as he finally turned away from Adoneus, “I’ve patients to see, Rosie. No time to deal with the dead. Oh -” He paused, turning back to his nurse, “Will you send a messenger to the Northstein Bakery? Let his mother and sister know he will be fine.. Ask for them to send him a change of clothes when they have a moment. Adoneus will be using the bath when he wakes.” He turned, waving Rosie off to finish his request as he finished off his tea and milled about with the sick and paranoid patients in his Haven.

Back