We Do What We Can

TMITM

Megalomaniacal Arbiter
He didn’t remember a time when he didn’t exist. Unlike most beings, he didn’t remember a father or a mother. All he knew was that he was. And he would be. This was all he knew.
The first thing he remembered was Darkness. Humongous, ever-expansive, and whole. There was nothing in the Void, and in the Void there was perfect order. Nothing, nobody to mess things up or upset anyone. There was Nothing, and it's Everything. It's Everywhere. And the Everything was Nothing.
Try to keep up.
For a while, he walked among the Darkness, formless, wondering if there was anything inside. He didn't find anything. Only more Void. Only more Darkness. Only more Nothing.
Forget this, he said. I want to go somewhere. I want to be something. I want things to change. And I know it’s possible, I just have to…
And that’s exactly how it happened.

Last edited:
Stars.
After the Spark, as He began to call it, all he saw were stars. They were beautiful. Hundreds of them. Thousands. There were things now. There were forces, pulling and pushing and spinning and whirling through the vast expanse of Everything. It was nice, he thought, to have something. Now the Nothing was in spots, and the Everything had Something in it.
He wandered for a while, among the stars, among the rocks and the chunks of things that the world was forming. But there was nothing like him in this world. There was Something, but there was still Nothing. And inside the Everything there was Noone. That was his problem, he thought.
He was lonely.
And when he Cried, desperately, yelling into the Noone, a Someone answered. Another being, another Someone, nebulous like Him, a child like him, seeking a Someone in the Nothing. In the Noone.
And when he went to the Someone, he found Her.
She was staring at a star, eyes wide, basking in the glow of it’s heat. He liked the stars, he thought they shone beautifully, but he never desired to be this close. He preferred to be closer to the nothing, he didn’t like the heat, but She liked to be closer to the Something. She loved the Heat, she loved the Fire, because it was the Fire of Life, and She was Life.
She was a girl, a child, like him, with pearly-white wings that shone and reflected the Life and the Heat and the Fire all around them. When she looked at him, he realized he had wings, too. Onyx wings, wings that reflected the Void. Because that’s where he was from, the Void. The Nothing. The Everything. But the Nothing was now half of the Everything. There was Something.
Hello? She said. Can you hear me?
He could hear her. Yes, he could hear her. And he heard her, when she called back from the darkness. The Half-Nothing. The Everything. But it was He who called first.
Can you hear me? He echoed back.
Yes, she said. I can hear you.
He approached her, hand raised as he adjusted to the Warmth, the Heat, the Life, coming off of the star and off of Her. She shivered, and He guessed that She felt him, too. He brought more of the Nothing into the Something, and She brought more Something into the Nothing.
Are you lonely? He asked Her.
I am, She said. Are you like me?
Yes, He said. I think so.
Then will you be my friend? She asked. Then I won’t be lonely anymore.
And She held out her small hand as her wings extended, radiating heat and life as he took it, his wings spreading as well, he nodded.
I will be your friend.

Back