We the Unwanted We the Unwanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isolde Bennett - Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis

Isolde wandered toward the training grounds as per usual, her temper had cooled but there was a piece of her that was still lit with anger. That man, he doesn't even know about half of the shit he rambles on about. How can he possibly defend that woman, that Kings Guard. The woman stopped in her tracks, sighing. She had split off from Donovan and now stood in the middle of the fortress staring at the sky. There is something strange about that woman and how she talks about Illya's death. Adran refuses to see it and only defends her thoughtlessly... but why I wonder. Isolde sighed once more and continued toward the training ground.

The grounds were empty, the kids had not returned, clearly assuming that their training for the day was complete. Isolde looked around, an empty ring is what she needed to hash out the conflicting thoughts she was having. The woman drew her halberd as she stood in the middle of the ring, examining the training dummies around her. She drew a shallow breath and advanced toward her targets with grace. She spoke to her before she died, Illya had convinced her to betray her King... for us. Isolde twisted around the targets, easily slicing them down in a flurry of swings and cleaves. She honoured her last wishes. Illya's last wishes, to protect her family? But she expects me to believe that Illya just died... that woman, so stupid. Her face and her body said otherwise.

Isolde trained relentlessly until the sun fell and she became exhausted, stopping in the middle of the ring, staring blankly. I let my temper get the best of me again... idiot.

"Isolde, I'd like to speak with you in private when you have a moment." Adran's voice sounded behind her, the woman startled slightly but turned to face him. "Here is fine, is it not?"

Adran peered around the training grounds, ensuring that the two of them were alone. "I suppose it is. Just didn't want to interrupt you if you were in the middle of training"

Isolde looked at him blankly, "It's too late for that. I imagine you're here to talk about my behaviour."

"Yes and no. I'm here first off to apologize to you. I said some of the things I did out of anger and that wasn't right of me." Adran replied.

Isolde grins at Adran, does he seriously think his pleasantries will work? "You can skip the butter, Adran. What is it you have really come for?"

Adran sighs, stiffening momentarily at Isolde's directness. "It's not merely butter, but as you wish. I wasn't present when the argument began so I don't know what Donovan or Shade said to you that made your temper flare up. I wished to hear your side of the story and see if we can't work things out."

"If you're looking for me to admit what I did was wrong, then I cannot give you what you seek." Isolde sighs, understanding the Diplomats incessant need to mend a situation. "Granted, I probably shouldn't have struck the woman. I merely wanted to... power in a powerless situation." Isolde replied with a softness in her answer.

"Sounds like an admission to me." he grins cheekily "I merely wish to come to an understanding of both sides. What was said that elevated the situation to that level?"

Isolde's face hardens at Adran's cheeky grin, "I'm not sure you would understand, Adran. You do not bare the same mark as we do and so, you do not think the same." she retorted, referring to the shield that branded her shoulder.

Adran pulled the collar of his shirt far down enough to reveal the Guardian's symbol branded on his shoulder when he joined their ranks. " I disagree."

Isolde looked at the mark on the man's shoulder family... "Come" Isolde announced, picking up pieces of training equipment off the ground and moving toward the barracks "Bring some things with you"

"Very well" Adran replied while picking up various pieces of equipment and following her into the musty room which housed the training equipment. Isolde put various pieces of equipment away, as if pondering her next response. "Being given the brand and being born with it are two different things. I was born here, born a Guardian alongside many, many like Illya." Isolde turned to look at Adran now, wisdom in her eyes. "She was family. Like you are now, and what sets me off is when someone leaves a family member behind. That is what your Kings Guard did, she left her to die."

Adran hardened slightly, "she was under orders not to interfere. If she had then Shade would have died along with Illya, and what purpose would that serve?"

Isolde sighed once more, she knew in heart that all the diplomacy in the world would not truly teach Adran what she learned as a child when a Guardian had died to protect her. "That is the difference, Adran. You don't leave someone behind. You do not back down in the face of an impossible barrier. You overcome it, even if that means through death. Leaving behind your comrade is the last thing you do and here she is now, amongst our walls... Illya's blood is on her hands. I trust you at least sought out answers."

"I did. According to Shade's accounts, Illya trusted Shade with the message she was to convey to us, but Illya also knew that for Shade to successfully escape the capital, she would have to die. I may not have known her for as long as you had, but when Shade told that to Claius, the man who knew Illya the best out of all of us, he said that it was just like Illya to sacrifice her life like she did."

Illya knew that she would have to die in order for Shade to escape the capital? I wonder then if my suspicions were correct... "Then I was right. Illya's blood is on her hands after all?"

Adran sighed, realizing lying to the woman now would be useless. She was putting the pieces together on her own. "Yes, with Illya's blessing."

Isolde immediately removed her gaze from Adran's and stared at the cold hard dirt beneath her feet. Her eyes swelled and she could feel her face becoming warm now is not that time for tears, Isolde. Keep it together... Isolde swallowed her fear and spoke again, "does anyone else know?"

Adran studied Isolde, "No. Just her, myself, and now you."

Isolde forced her face to harden once more before looking at Adran again, "Claius cannot find out about this. Or Donovan. They will kill her."

"I know. Which is why I came to you first. I knew you would understand."

Isolde shifted her body weight and stood with more confidence, "Illya made a sacrifice for the betterment of her family. That doesn't mean I forgive this woman nor does it change how I feel about her. But the last thing we want is for a bloody mutiny when war is upon us."

Adran agreed with a nod of the head, "Claius I can control, but Donovan doesn't listen to me. Doesn't respect me. I need someone to hold his tongue before he starts the mutiny we're both fearing."

"You want me to babysit? You don't think I do enough of that already?" Isolde scoffed. "Not babysit, at least not if it isn't necessary... but talk to him. Please make him see reason." Adran replied, seeking her help in the matter.

What does he think of me, a silver tongue like himself? She sighed, "That is only asking for trouble, you know that Adran. He might respect me but he will not listen to reason about a Kings Guard he thinks slaughtered our general. And rightfully so. Just because I'm not going to kill her myself does not mean I agree with this but I also have to think what is best for my family and mutiny is certainly not the answer. It would be most wise to give Donovan an order rather than talk sense into him about this particular situation... He will come to see reason with some things and grow to accept them but not this. At least I don't think so.

Adran replied with a sigh, "I need Claius to order him to fall in line then."

"I can tell him if you would rather, I need to speak to him about my rash behaviour regardless. I would rather him hear it from me that I hit our guest than from the whispers of the people."

Adran hesitated a moment before reluctantly admitting his need for her help, "I normally wouldn't ask if I could do it myself, but I feel like my personal feelings for Donovan might cloud my judgment in this instance."

Isolde looked at Adran with a seriousness, "Then I will. But do not dare think for one moment that this means I accept that woman being here. A coupe de gras or not, she still killed Illya. As long as she is a Kings Guard, not in rank maybe, but in soul... I cannot trust her. Do you understand?"

"I understand." Adran replied.

"Then go away. I have a lot to do." Isolde turned, hearing Adran speak once more before leaving "Thank you Isolde."

Isolde waited until she could no longer hear his footsteps, her hand shaped into a fist and she hit a pile of old boxes stacked in the corner. Her legs buckled and she fell to the ground, tears now falling from her eyes. This is a burden I must carry for the Guardians sake.

Last edited:
Claius Vondale (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)
Claius had been drawing out defensive plans when her heard a sharp rap from his door.

"Clay?" A feminine voice came from outside.

"Come in." He said, setting down his papers and turning around. Isolde invited herself into his room.

"May I have a moment?" She asked.

"Yes." He pondered for a moment. "Be quick about it though; I'm sure we are all busy."

She nodded and shut the door behind her before taking a seat next to him. "I have struck our visitor from the Kings Guard and I thought I should tell you first hand."

Despite how blunt the statement was, Claius laughed aloud. Her dutiful decision to report it to him immediately made the entire situation quite amusing. "And what happened?"

"She took the hit like a champ" She replied. In sore of herself, she laughed along. "But honestly, Donovan and I might have started something. I'm sure it would've ended much worse than it did if Adran had not stepped in."

"Well, it's good to have Adran there to keep things in check." He took on a more serious tone. "Remember, we have a fortress to protect. Maybe it wasn't the most suitable time to be fooling around."

"It wasn't fooling, Clay. I might be able to hold my temper, now that I have gotten out my frustration, but I worry about Donovan, he is hot headed and I worry that he will do as he pleases unless otherwise directed.."

"Oh? What caused you to hit her?" He inquired casually.

"She spoke ill of the general and I didn't like it."

Claius stood up abruptly, his blood boiling. The King Guardsman had the audacity to insult Illya? "She what?" He nearly shouted.

"Calm yourself, Clay." Isolde said quickly. "She simply was telling us about the message Illya sent and I took it the wrong way. Donovan was yelling at me and.. I lost sight of what she was saying. So I hit her, plain and simple. It was a mistake."

Claius exhaled and sat back down. He smiled ruefully at Isolde. "Careful with those words, Isolde. You nearly made a beast out of me."

"You know what it's like when you've lost your head."

So he did.

"Ah yes..." He said. "Anyways, I'm glad you recognize your mistake. Would you like me to relay to her about it?" Isolde was the type to directly apologize to someone if she was in the wrong during a confrontation, but it was worth a shot.

"Nay. I will do that myself but I'm hoping you can speak with Donovan. I fear he will not let up on her without a direct order." She said. He stroked his chin thoughtfully.

""Donovan huh? He's quite headstrong about his opinions, so there's little I can do about it. I'll try my best."

"That may be true but he is a soldier and will listen to his commander."

That was true, at the least. Claius could not even think of one time where Donovan has directly refused an order before. For someone with his personality, that was truely an admirable quality.

"Very well. I'll do that. Anything else?"

"No, that's everything. I hope you're well Clay." She said, rising for the exit.

"Isolde," Claius called as she was leaving.

"Yes?"

"Can you talk to my father to do something about the sewage system? Illya pestered me a lot about covering it."

"I assume in anticipation for the oncoming siege? But I have to ask, why me?"

He nodded. "Illya and I used to talk about it when we were kids. Whenever we sneaked off, we would come back through that path. It was like a chink in the armor." He looked down sadly as he mentioned Illya's name. Everytime he said it heard it, it brought a fresh new pang that would be worse than the last. People say that it gets better, but to him it seemed to be getting worse and worse. "I was just thinking about when you happened to pass by."

"A chink in the armour... Understood. Anything else?"

"I don't believe so." He said. He turned back to his work. "I appreciate it, Isolde."

She exited the room, and the door clicked behind her

Reactions: Rue
Shade and Adran (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

It was morning, the following day after her beating by Donovan and Isolde. Shade stood at the window of her room, observing the lives of the people within this fortress, especially the children. She had been up most of the night thinking, processing. I must decide…Will I fight in their defense? Will I commit myself to a new cause, a new people? Adran speaks of fighting for Luina by fighting with the Guardians. How does he expect his actions here to affect the homeland. Her eyes narrowed. He’d expected a treaty of peace. One that would have seen our two cultures merged...but the King has destroyed any hope of that. And now the full force of Kingdom will come to bear down upon these people. But...can I kill and die for them?

Adran is honorable and he leads his people with that honor and with strong values. Claius is a soldier and he guides the people as a soldier but he looks to Adran in for matters outside the military. These people...they are not the barbarians the Kingdom made them out to be. They are an exiled people looking for life outside of these walls. But can I kill my own men, people I know in their defense? Would it not be better to slay myself?

Shade looked at rope sitting in the corner of the room then back across the courtyard where children, unaware of the coming war, danced, played or trained. Mothers gossiped, knitting or helping to sharpen weapons. Men laughed and joked or glanced worriedly at their families as they helped reinforce the wall. They didn’t want war...they didn’t deserve war, especially after so honestly trying to reinitiate peace and submit themselves under the new King’s leadership.

Her mind played out scenarios of how the battle might work. Of the different tactics the King’s Guard would use and ways the Guardians could better prepare themselves. In her mind’s eye she saw the soldiers of the king flood over the walls or through the gates. They would be ordered to kill everyone, even the children...leaving no barbarian left alive in their wake. Would she fight her men to save the children? Yes...without hesitation.
In her mind she saw mother’s fighting for alongside their husbands, for their families. Would she kill one of her men to defend them. Most likely.
Would she kill to defend a guardian soldier from someone she’d knew. Donovan and Isolde come to mind. Probably not.
Would she kill someone she knew, to defend herself? Yes. To defend Adran...yes.

Shade gripped the edge of the windowsill. Her knowledge could save more lives on the guardian’s side...but it would end more lives on the Lorian side. She had to know, fully betraying her people, fully turning sides...that it would be worth it. A knock sounds at her door and she turns. “Enter.” Shade caught herself using her Captain’s voice. Deep and authoritative. She had to remind herself that she was no longer a Captain. It was Adran, bringing food again. Safer for her to eat here than out there at the moment. She greets him with a solemn nod.
"How are the ribs?"
"Better." She turns away from the window and sits at the table, gesturing for him to join her. "I've been considering your argument for joining the guardians.."
"Have you? And your conclusion?"
"I have not reached it yet...fully." Her expression was tight. "Tell me, Adran...What happens if the guardians win this siege? Say the king’s guard retreat back to the kingdom. What then? Now that there is no hope of peace, of changing things within the kingdom what is the point of fighting with the guardians against your own people. All your talk of changing the system...it all dies with this war. So what's the point?"
"If we win this siege, the Guardians will advance. They'll keep advancing until they've overtaken the kingdom. If that happens, the balance of power will be thrown in upheaval and hopefully, if I live long enough to see it, I can guide the Guardians into creating a better, more fair system."

Shade nods. "And if you lose?"
"I'll either be dead, or dragged before the king in chains. At least I went down fighting for what I believed in."
"From what I've seen of the guardians...they are warriors...not culturists. Would they not just turn the kingdom into a war state? Causing more damage and chaos than good?
"Not if I can help it. If I die on the field of battle however, it is a possibility. The Guardians grow tired of conflict though, so really I have no way to predict where they would take the system without me."
“So its just you then who has vision for a better future?” Shade leans back in the chair, clearly unhappy with that response. An army with no vision or purpose might as well be just a group of barbarians. "I suppose I have my answer then...I can't fight for a group of people with no vision or plan outside taking over the kingdom. They would simply cause chaos. If anything, that's the sort of thing I'd fight against."

"You have to understand, Shade. The Guardians have absolutely no experience with the dealings of the outside world. They're well intentioned but it's up to people like us to guide them into making the wisest decisions, educate them on how the world outside the fortress works. It's that experience that Claius has consulted me on in many occasions."
"They would need much more education than what they currently have before they could even begin to consider taking over the kingdom without mass casualties and rebellion. Is your general willing to wait that long? Are your people even interested in taking on that culture? Would it not be better to simply defend against this attack and hole up until this king is replaced? Perhaps focus on building a culture, beyond that of war, instead of waiting to integrate yourselves into the kingdom. Focus on building your own kingdom."
"Do you believe that Rufus Andelorn would be satisfied with one failed siege?"
"No."
"Unfortunately we don’t have the luxury to hole up and wait for him to be replaced. He won't stop until we're destroyed."
"And your only choice is to fight or die. These guardians may very well be a lost cause.” Shade notes.
"Hmm, there is a third solution. One that doesn't involve the guardians overtaking the kingdom, or being wiped from existence.”
"And what is that?"
"Tell me, you've had an abundance of exposure to the courts in your time as King's Guard, yes? Have you noticed any budding young nobles who might show sympathy to the Guardians cause?
"If there is, it is well hidden. The prejudice against the barbaric Guardians is deeply ingrained within the kingdom's culture."
"Hmm. There is still the possibility though. If we overthrow the King and appeal to the courts that we do not wish to conquer, merely coexist, we might be able to find sympathy."

Shade nods. "The moment you invade however, tensions will be extremely high. The death of their king will not garner any sympathy or favor with the courts. You would need proof that the King betrayed his treaty with the guardians to even have a hope.
"That would require your testimony. Which as of this moment isn't guaranteed."
"My testimony would mean very little at this point. I'm a traitor...and if I fight with you, a killer of my own countrymen. No one would listen to me."
"I feel you're underestimating the influence you can have Shade. We came under a banner of peace and the King has responded with a declaration of war. I know you must be aware of the murmurs of discontent from the other regions. Should we overthrow the king and announce our peaceful intentions, with your proof of the king's betrayal, those dissenters at the very least would rally to our cause. It may not be much, but it would still mean support from citizens of Luina."

Shade sighed deeply and shook her head at him. "I do not call you silver-tongued for no reason. You could talk circles around the most talented politicians in the courts." She rubbed her eyes. "You understand what it means...if I give up the strategies of the king's guard...and fight alongside you." Of course he understood, he'd betrayed his countrymen as well, though perhaps not to the extent that she was about to.
“I do.” He nods.
Shade nods, looking out the window a moment lost in thought. There would be no going back after this. If she committed, she committed all the way. She would fight and die for them. It wouldn’t be easy, especially when she stared at the face of someone she knew. "Nothing ever worth doing is easy, and few situations are ever just black and white." She looks back at Adran. "I will fight with the Guardians, in the hopes of a better future for my homeland."
Adran smiles "Thank you Shade. I know it's not an easy decision to make. But I promise you it will be worth it."
"I hope so." She says solemnly.

Donovan Blackmoore (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

Donovan wasn't surprised at the order to leave the King's Guard alone. That was only expected after he'd lost his temper and about started a fight that would have killed her. Then of course there was the doctor too. Quite probable that he had something to do for it. With the little bit of time that he had to rest, Donovan took a seat on one of the barrels. It was tall enough that his feet couldn't quite touch the ground. Perhaps comical looking to one passing by. He'd grown used to it and swung his legs back and forth letting his heels tap the side of the barrel. A deep resounding thud would sound each hit. Finally he made up his mind what to do with this situation once and for all. Pushing himself off the barrel he went out in search of Adran. It was time to have a little talk with the doctor.

Eventually Donovan found Adran and he took a deep breath before saying anything. "Adran....I uh....I need to apologize for losing my temper. You've already proved more than once that you're one of us." It was so hard to gag that phrase out even if it was sincere. "Obviously you have some reason to keep her alive. If she brought crucial information then we would do ourselves a disservice in killing her. Might deter others from helping us. Forgive my lack of foresight." Donovan fell silent for a few seconds and then continued. "I'll stay clear of her. There won't be anymore fights between her and I." The little man peered down at a pebble on the ground and kicked it. "I've got go now. I'll leave you to your work." Whatever it was the doctor did with half his time Donovan didn't know. Following the direction that he had kicked the pebble he caught up with the little stone and kicked it further ahead of himself again.

One of the other soldiers better acquainted with Donovan rushed in and about pushed Donovan over to get at the rock. In a flurry of kicks to gain control of the rock the two of them moved along down the path till the rock got kicked off somewhere into the grass. "You ugly lout." Donovan shoved the man and the two of them laughed.

"Aye, at least I'm not a dwarf." The soldier dodged a playful jab at his ribs. "Where you going now?"

Donovan glanced toward the lonely little hut. "Going to fix his tea."

"Then I'll see you at the fire tonight?" They had reached a Y in the path and he spoke over his shoulder at his little friend.

"Aye...I'll be there." Donovan called over his shoulder and then continued down the trail that led to the house. Pushing the door open he was greeted by the smell of the herbs. It smelled like medicine and sickness. Pulling a flap open at the window Donovan let a little fresh air into the room. "Have you drunk the tea yet?" Sometimes the old man would make it for himself. Most of the time he was stubborn and wouldn't do it unless Donovan was there to watch.

A grizzled head rose and the old man shook his head. "I'm dying and no amount of your tea is going change that."

It was another kind of excuse that Donovan had heard time and again. Taking a step over to the shelf he collected a jar of the pre-made mixture of herbs. Since the old man needed it everyday Donovan crushed the dried plants and flower buds in larger quantities to save time on days like these. "Yes...I know you're dying because you remind me often." Throwing a sidelong glance at the old man he smirked. "Doesn't change the fact that I'm still going to try to make your breathing easier." Donovan reached into the jar and took out a few pinches worth and then dropped the herbs he'd collected into a mug. At least the old man had water boiling over the fire almost constantly.

After the old man had his tea and his news Donovan rose to his feet. "I've got duties at the wall. Still working on reinforcing it." The gray haired man just nodded and watched the lad leave. It was still a pity in the old man's eyes that his adopted son hadn't the ambition to do much else beyond survival. If he had ambition he was sure that Donovan would have already been an officer of sorts and maybe he would have had more practice and reason to control his temper. Still he held out for the day that Donovan wanted more. Eventually that day would come.

Isolde Bennett - Impregnable Fortress; Geraldis

Isolde exited the building where she had found Claius. She sighed heavily, not wanting to find Saxo and talk to him about the sewage system. Isolde would have to do it after training the following day.

As always the woman was awake early, she promptly got ready for the day and headed to the training grounds. She knew she would have to finish early due to other responsibilities. There's always so much to do and just not enough time... how are we going to be sure that we're prepared for this upcoming war? How will the people take it... will we succeed or will we fail? Isolde was the first at the training grounds, she used the time to open the barracks and bring out the necessary equipment before the children arrived. The morning was peaceful, the breeze soothing against her skin. The woman stood for a minute, soaking in the sun before her calm was broken by the sound of her students arriving. Isolde turned to find 7 children greeting her with excitement. "Today's lesson will be about teamwork in a group. All of you will be facing me."

The lesson began and the children started their advances on Isolde, one after another. She scolded them for not working together and yelled at them to start over multiple times. The captain of the King's Guard, Shade Bigges, approached the ring and observed the different stances and tactics that Isolde was using. The children continued to attempt to attack Isolde, not one of them even getting close enough to her. "AGAIN!" the woman yelled. These kids are not working together at all, their attacks are not performed in unison... we still have so much work to do. Isolde noticed Shade observing the lesson out of the corner of her eye and then returned her attention to the kids. "We are taking a break, pair up and talk about your complete lack of teamwork."

Isolde walked toward Shade and stopped at the edge of the training grounds, which were marked off by a poorly built knee-high fence. "Good day." Shade shifted, expecting another attack from the woman, "Good day?" she responded with hesitation. "Come to attack me again?"
"No. I've actually come to apologize, but if you would rather I could hit you again." Isolde retorted sarcastically, attempting to lighten the mood somewhat. The woman could understand why Shade was apprehensive about her approach considering the first time they met she came out swinging probably not the best idea I've had... Isolde relaxed when Shade smirked, "I'd like to see you try. Last time I let you."
The woman's response entertained Isolde and she smirked back, knowing full heartedly that if she wanted to, she could kill Shade without blinking. "Shall we then?" Isolde asked while gesturing toward the ring, inviting the captain to join her in a duel. Shade was quick to respond, "A friendly sparring match?" she asked, "Lead the way!" Shade stretched her muscles, eager to knock the smirk off of Isolde's face. Isolde smiled at the woman's acceptance, "Right this way then."

Isolde moved into the middle of the training ring and addressed her students, "Children, I want you to observe this friendly fight and take note on how a Guardian thrives in the face of battle." A grin appeared on her face as she laughed at the thought in her head, more like how a Guardian will kick someone's ass. The children cheered and sat in a row on the poorly crafted fence to amaze in the spectacle. Isolde watched Shade enter the training grounds, picking up a training weapon that resembled a spear and moving to the center of the ring, planting her feet into the cold ground beneath her and two hands on the staff. She was prepared. Isolde picked up a nearby training sword that the students normally chose, she turned to Shade with a casual stance "I won't use a pole arm, consider it my apology." she smirked as the words came out of her mouth. "You've already given me your apology. Don't hold back, I don't want you to have any excuses for when I beat you." Shade knew the Guardians were powerful, but she was convinced that she could take on a woman who trained children for her occupation. What a cocky woman, does she seriously think she is going to take me down so easily? Don't let your temper get the best of you Isolde, a calm and clear head is needed to engage in battle; even if it is friendly. Isolde smirked, "if you insist." she threw down her training sword and picked up a new weapon resembling a pole arm of sorts, her stance still fairly casual "You might regret it, though.."

"I suppose we'll see" Shade retorted as she lunged toward Isolde. Isolde easily stepped out of the way and circled behind her with grace, she was now facing Shade's back. "Come now, Shade. A direct approach?" the Guardian scoffed. Shade spun around, uncertain of how Isolde had gotten behind her so quickly. "I find a direct approach is usually the best," she replied as she swung her spear with power and control from right to left. Isolde jumped back out of the spear's range with ease, her stance becoming more serious than it was before. Isolde was impressed with the woman's handle on the weapon, it was clear that she was well trained to deliver a swing with such precision and force. "Well at least you know what you're doing, I'll commend you on that! Isolde shouted as she began to advance toward Shade, picking up speed as she closed the gap but purposefully not swinging her weapon. "I'm a captain of the Guard, I better know what I'm doing!" Shade replies, while side stepping Isolde's advance and stabbing her spear toward Isolde's ribs once again. Suddenly, Isolde thrust her spear in a horizontal motion, her hands spread far apart on the shaft of the rod to brace the impact of Shade's spear as they connected and blocking Isolde from harm. "Well Captain, then you fell for it!" upon the spear connecting with Isolde's weapon, Isolde threw her left hand toward Shade, pushing the left side of the rod violent toward the captain. The children's gasping and cheering could be heard as their teacher engaged in an enthralling fight. More citizens of the Impregnable Fortress gathered and watched the two engage in the spar. Whispering could be heard through breaks of the children cheering. The people of the fortress knew that Isolde always challenged people she was interested in to a friendly round in the ring, and with the Guardian asking the former Kings Guard to a duel, the people began to feel at ease with her presence.

Shade was unprepared for the sudden shift in tactics. The rod stopped just short of hitting her. Why had she stopped? Shade frowned. Isolde had, had her in that moment... but she didn't take the strike? She was backing off? Isolde held the rod just inches from Shade, staring at her with calculating eyes. Isolde noticed Shade's puzzled look as to why the rod didn't hit her, did you really think I was going to hit you? I don't have to if I know I can... Shade began to circle her, watching for any weaknesses that Isolde had. Shade could see no such thing, only the ones that Isolde was trying to let her see to goad her into attacking. Isolde stood tall and still, only watching the captain with her eyes as she circled and studied her. The Guardian made eye contact with the Captain before she tried to attack her again, stabbing at her diagonally, from the bottom up and aiming for Isolde's chest with force. Isolde stepped slightly to the right as she planted her rod into the ground, driving its blunt end into the soil and using it as leverage to propel herself toward the Captain. Her fist appeared from behind her head and was targeted toward Shade's face.

Shade didn't have time to evade, but again, Isolde stopped just short of hitting her. It made her mad, it was if the woman was insulting her by saying "look I can hit you but I won't." Shade smacked Isolde's hand away irritably, which made the Guardian smirk. "Don't toy with me, I'm a fellow soldier! Follow through on your attacks" Isolde had reset the battle once again and Shade lowered her spear, readying another attack. She feigned with a frontal attack, stepped in, and sent the butt of her spear flying upwards towards Isolde's chin. The butt!? Isolde thought, not anticipating it and having to quickly evade the attack. She managed to step out of the way, although with much less grace than her other movements. She almost caught me... the look of surprise appeared on Isolde's face as she thought about Shade's most recent attack. If she wants me to follow through then so be it, it should only take one strike... "You're right, you are a fellow soldier!"

Isolde swung the rod behind her, the head closer to the ground and the butt angling up behind her back. Her feet widened as her stance had changed once more. She advanced once again, swinging the pole toward Shade in one swift motion. Shade ducked underneath the attack but that was exactly what Isolde had been waiting for. Instead of following through she brought the pole down onto Shade's exposed spine, hitting a nerve the caused her knees to buckle beneath her and she collapsed to the ground. Shade instantly rolled onto her back, spear held horizontally above her to block the next attack. The cheering of the children echoed throughout the training grounds as Isolde now stood over top of Shade, offering her hand to her. Shade, surprised that no attack had come, accepted her hand and stood with Isolde's help. She winced as her bruised ribs began to throb from the rough movements of the match. "I underestimated you." she admits, "the Guardians really are a force to be reckoned with."

Isolde smiled at Shade, her scarred lip preventing her from smiling fully. The woman knew that the Guardians were a force, and naturally so as they were born generations ago as warriors. "Well, you did challenge the training coordinator of this fortress but despite that, you fought well. I believe you can learn a lot about someone in the ring and today I feel like I learned that you're more than just a Kings Guard." This woman shows virtue and determination... my initial assumptions of her were wrong. "I'm no longer a Kings Guard" Shade replied, "I've agreed to join the Guardians.I hope...with time, you'll come to accept me as an equal. You have certainly earned my respect as a warrior."

Isolde was somewhat shocked by Shade's response, "Is that so? You'll be given the brand, are you prepared to join our family?" The woman nodded in response, "Yes." The Guardian turned to her quite seriously, pain in her eyes as she thought about Illya dying at the hands of the woman before her who was now going to be one of them "then please, don't let us down.. and remember, a Guardian never leaves another behind." Shade sensed what she was hinting at; she'd put it together after all. "If I could've gotten her out... I would've. But, I do swear, from now on, no one will be left behind on my watch." She smirked, "Except for perhaps Donovan." Isolde grinned at Shade's quip regarding Donovan, but naturally, she would have to defend her fellow Guardian despite knowing that he rubbed some people the wrong way. "Hold your tongue, Captain. Donovan is a Guardian none the less and a good man. He can be hot-headed, like I can. You gave me another chance, you should do the same for him."
"The question is not if I should give him another chance, but rather if he wants to give me a chance." Shade wondered curiously. "He will come around."

Isolde drew a breath, "I hope that you come back for another round, training together is important." "I look forward to it. Training with one as skilled as you will be an honor" Shade stretched out a hand. It was a greater honor than she was letting on. She'd met two powerful women in less than a week. Both, strong in character and body. It was inspiring. Isolde smiled again as she firmly took Shade's hand. Maybe you aren't so bad after all.

Adran Triveron (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

This day was certainly one of the wilder ones in Adran's life. First he'd been delighted by Shade's decision to join the Guardians, then he was forced into a land of confusion when Donovan came forward with some awkward apology that sounded forced yet sincere at the same time, and now he'd had to battle with anxiety while paying close attention to the sparring match between Shade and Isolde. He'd been keeping a closer eye on Shade this day and as she approached the training grounds paranoia struck fear into him about Isolde's response. Thankfully though it seemed that the two were finally able to feel a bit of respect towards each other. He supposed that's just how warriors did things.

His respect for Shade ran deeper than he thought it would, the woman was a seemingly balanced combination of brain and brawn and Adran couldn't help but find himself fascinated by her. He knew the other Guardians would make their jokes or respect him less for it, but he honestly didn't care about that anymore. She was the only one who seemed to fully understand the perils presented by Rufus Andelorn, the only person who could debate political strategy with him. Someone he felt he could trust to take some of the weight off his shoulders.

He broke away from his thoughts as he noticed Shade approaching the entrance to the training grounds. Giving her a bit of a sarcastic smirk he said to her. "I tell you to take it easy with those ribs and you get into a full contact sparring match? Here I thought it was important to listen to your doctor's advice."

Last edited:
Rajiana Pendragon (Training Grounds, Helies)

Richard waited for the man to respond and it almost looked like he was going to just stand there gaping. "What is your name?" Repeating himself was not something Richard liked to do.

Rajiana leans partly on the wooden sword and turns to attention with sweat running down his face. "Rajiana..." He pants. Controlling his breathing and standing erect, "Rajiana Pendragon, sir." He responds ending with a bow. Sighing Richard shook his head. "I'm not a king or lord...I'm an officer, you salute me!" Rajiana nods, "Sorry sir. Forgive my incompetence." He says with a firm salute and locks his eyes with the officer, scanning the face of his superior.

"How long have you been here?" Richard was beginning to wonder if it was the lack of training or stupidity that governed this mans brain. "I have been here from seven in the morning to now... my time sense has been thrown off." Rajiana says as he scans the posture of the officer and attempts to copy the professionalism.

A gradual frown came to his face. "You've only just begun training today?"

"Today is my first day training in Helies, sir." Rajiana responds, trying not to mention his training in Geraldis. He felt uneasy with the mans presence after each question.

"Hmm..." Richard nodded and glanced down at the wooden sword the man held. "You've got stamina and determination. Your form is poor. Have they not shown you how to hold a blade?" "I have not been taught much on finesse yet." Rajiana responds as he makes a mental note to revise his posture while training. Why is he so inquisitive toward a recruit... he thought to himself as he saw the gradual disappointment grow on the mans face.

The man took a deep breath. "Give me your sword." Taking the weapon he overlapped two fingers from his left hand. "You hold it like this. Now get another sword." Patiently he waited for the man to return with another one and Richard waited for him to take hold of it. Swinging toward Rajiana's blade he hit it hard enough to feel the vibration run through the wood blade. "Now you'll keep hold of your sword better. Try the way you held it before." Richard swung again and knocked the blade out of his hand. "Hold it like I've shown you and train that way."

Rajiana walks to the wooden blade and picks it up, holding it exactly as his instructor had shown him. "That will help... I am glad to be under authority of a wise man." He says, stopping himself before he starts to sound mocking.

"Wise man?" Richard glowered at the recruit. "Get back to training!" Turning his back he smirked slightly. This one was green beyond belief.

Rajiana turned back to the training dummy after a swift salute, and hacked away at the post viciously after standing idle for the conversation. That may have been very poorly worded, he tells himself as the wooden saber cracked loudly against the post.

Shade and Adran (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

"I tell you to take it easy with those ribs and you get into a full contact sparring match? Here I thought it was important to listen to your doctor's advice." Adran reprimands her lightheartedly as she passes by him.
Shade smirks at him, a hand around said ribs as they burned from the excursion. "I thought proving myself and defending my honor was more important at the moment. I got my pride taken from me but I think I gained some respect."
"Well its a step in the right direction at the very least. Anything severe happen to them that I should know about?"
"My ribs? Nay...that sparring match is well worth the burn." She continued walking to her room to clean off the sweat. "I had heard stories about the skill and power of Guardians...but, I didn't anticipate how skilled. What is the ratio of one guardian to the number of opponents they can face?"
"Well most Guardians tend to be above average in skill. I've heard some of the general's claim that the ratio is 1:5"
Shade gaped for a moment. "One to five? Damn. If you had told me that yesterday...I wouldn't have believed you." She shook her head. The king’s guard weren’t going to be ready to face that kind of skill and power. Most, like she had been, were too proud in their own skill against one another.
Adran laughed "That's most of them anyway. Sadly, I can't claim to be amongst them. I'm well trained with my rapier but until recently I couldn't wear my glasses in combat, making hitting my targets a very horrendous task."
Shade smirked lightly. "If you were with the King's Guard, the very fact that you wore glasses would've excluded you." She glanced out at the guardians. "Being a woman would've kept you from the rank of anything higher than a Captain." She adds, lost in thought for a moment. I never did become General as I swore I would. I never even got above the rank of Captain as I swore I would. So many oaths broken...and yet new ones are made. These people...had I been born here there would have been no need to hide my sex. I could’ve become a general through the strength of my own body and will. Perhaps, I still can."
She looks back at Adran. “I like how the Guardians don't exclude...you prove yourself...or you don't. Nothing else matters. Not race, nor height, nor sex, nor physical disability. Perhaps that is why they are so powerful."
"It is something the world could learn a thing or two from." He nods.

"Indeed." Shade stopped in front of her room and noted that he looked as if he were going to follow her in. "Was there something else you needed to speak about, Adran...or were you just hoping to watch me bathe?" She asks, her tone holding the slightest hint of humor.
"What!? What kind of lecherous lout do you take me for Shade? I was just wondering when you were going to inform Claius of your decision to join us." Adran demands, blushing wildly.
Shade holds back a laugh at his adamant defense of his honor, though instantly feels bad. He clearly thought she had honestly insulted his honor. "I had thought you were going to do that. But I suppose I can. Whenever he is ready to meet with me, I will go. I also have what I know of King's Guard strategies written down...though, after what I saw today...I doubt you'll need them." She opens her door and pauses. "I'm sorry if I embarrassed you...I've never been able to jest as a woman before. I wanted to try it, but I see now it caused undue stress. I won't attempt it again."
"No that's not what I-” He sighs. “I didnt mean to insinuate that you shouldn't attempt jests. Just maybe avoid sexual humor in the future? Or stick to jests you know worked as a man. I don’t think anyone here would mind."
"Very well." She nods determinedly. "Let me know when Clauis is ready to speak to me. In the meantime, I shall be here."
"Will do, and Shade?" He calls out, and she turns to look at him over her shoulder.
"In hindsight it was a rather funny jest."
"So it was good...but don't do it again..." She nods, seeming more confused than before. She finally huffs. "I need to stick to just being a soldier. Have a good day, Adran."

As the door shuts Adran slaps his forehead "Excellent work Adran. You've made a fool out of yourself and embarrassed Shade. Truly a moment of legend for you." He sighs in frustration, walking away.

Rajiana Pendragon (Training Grounds, Helies)

Rajiana strikes repetitively at the post until he splits the wooden sword partly. Way to go Venatrisse... showing your superior that you aren't worthy of holding a sword. He drops the sword on the dusty ground, and rests. He had taken few breaks, so it made sense for an officer to check on him. Perhaps there was no reasoning to the encounter. He wipes the sweat from his face, was he training the better himself, or to satisfy an urge within him? Perhaps both.

He sees Andrin walking into the training grounds with a bleak look on his face. He spoke with the king... I told him Rufus wouldn't listen, he thinks to himself.

Donovan / Adran / Shade (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

Donovan saw Adran following the newcomer. Normally he didn't lurk about and try to see what other's thought. However, this was a time that had piqued his curiosity. What did Adran need more from this woman than they had already gained? A low chuckle started and he finally couldn't hold his laughter back when Adran bemoaned his current state to himself. "I should doubt you embarrassed her."

The doctor looked up and replied. "And what would you know about it? The only acquaintance you've made with her was introducing your boot to her ribs."

Donvoan cleared his throat. "A disgruntled introduction." He wasn't about to let Adran take him to task. Not quite. "I apologized to...you." It was about time to change the subject. "Growing up a soldier I'm sure she's heard worse."

Adran made a quick retort. "Disgruntled... yes that's certainly one word to describe your actions. Never mind the fact that you ran away as soon as you finished your apology. You make absolutely no sense to me Donovan."

"Well that would make two of us." Pausing he stared at Adran for a moment. "Meaning I don't understand you. Why do you...You do things in such a backward way. Always trying to talk about it instead of just taking what you want."

"Taking what you want? Ha! Keep that attitude and you'd make a fine noble in terms of morality." The doctor peered from under his brow at Donovan.
"I would not!" Donovan was completely insulted. "When I need something I take it because nobody is gonna give it to me." Slowly he started into the next sentence. "When I want something I take it because I have use for it."

"Here's a new concept for you. Why don’t you try earning something instead of taking it from others like a common thug?" There was a hint of growing irritation in Adran’s voice.

"Oh I've earned plenty of things. I earned this lovely badge of Guardian because I tried to be nice. I felt bad for a man I found injured in the forest and so I took care of him. My father found out and he discovered the man was a guardian. I earned my place here by fighting every single person I could in that ring till I was proficient. Tell me, do you earn things by talking?"

After a moment of silence Adran answered. "Yes, I earn respect by being able to come up with ideas that benefit everyone instead of just myself. I earn the trust of my comrades by being able to understand the hardships that they are going through.... I don't even know why I'm wasting my time. You said you wanted to learn how to be more than a soldier, but this conversation proves to me you aren’t committed to that at all. Just leave me alone Donovan."

Donovan cocked his head to the side. "It was a challenge to explain your methods. I'm not opposed to learning them. If there is a better way I would rather learn it."
"Well then first things first. If you talk to someone and find a way to get what you want while also giving them something they want in return, they're more inclined to work with you in the future."

"Then what is it that you want?" Donovan figured that was the best and first part of the lesson to master so what better way than to be obvious.

"From you?" Adran inquired.

This seemed like such a strange conversation but, Donovan answered anyway."Yes...I want to learn from you and you will have expectations of your student."
Not one to waste an opportunity the doctor responded simply. "Then I want you to trust me. Stop fighting me on every decision I make."

Donovan frowned. "I didn't fight you on the last decision. How was I supposed to know that I wasn't allowed to rough..." His face skewed into a frown. Lying wasn't one of his better honed abilities. "Fine, I didn't get a direct order so I took a hit when I could."

"Why don’t you try and get to know Shade some? Her and Isolde just had a sparring match earlier and seem to be getting on a lot better than they were yesterday. She might surprise you." In the spirit of these new understandings he offered a lesson.

His face almost paled at the thought. Donvoan looked at Adran and studied his expression. "Is that...an order or lesson or required?"

"It's a lesson. Learning to understand the other side of a conflict." The doctor stated it plainly and firmly so there wouldn’t be any misunderstanding.

Donovan couldn’t believe he was going to get saddled with this task. "Ugh...Then can I expand my list of expectations? Just explain the things you want me to do and why. I know you just did and it makes sense, but I still don't like it."

"You havent even told me what you expect to begin with." Now that they had an idea of where they were going the doctor looked to clarify a few things.

"What I expect to say to her?" Donovan wasn't sure what Adran was talking about or if Adran wanted Donvoan to give a list of his own expectations of what he should gain from these 'lessons.'

"No what you expect from me."

It was beginning to get frustrating for Donovan. He felt like Adran was asking the same questions and he wasn’t sure what answer the man wanted. So far it was still the same ambitions as before. "To teach. I thought that was clear."

"Gods dammit, what do you want me to teach you Donovan? Everything? Some things? I'm setting you out on a task without even knowing what you want to learn." Adran gave an exasperated expression and looked at the other man.

"Oh!" Donvoan grinned. "Well then uh...I want to learn to be more diplomatic I guess. Learn that little turn of phrase that gets things done without having kill people. Then do you know how to read?"

"Very well then. Talk to Shade and learn what the life of a King's Guard was like. Discover how it was both different and similar to a Guardian's and let me know what you've discovered. As for reading... well, we'll see what I can do." Teaching him to read? At 28, this was bound to be a task in itself and one that Adran wasn’t looking forward to.

Snorting, Donovan shook his head at Adran. "Oh I don't think she'd talk to me. I'll try." A sheepish grin came to his face. "Without violence."

At least it sounded hopeful and he was seeing some progress. "Again, she might surprise you. Certainly surprised me." little grin comes to his face
Donovan started to laugh at Adran's comment. "Yes she did. I noticed that just a few minutes ago."

The grin on Adran’s face faded and was replaced with a glare. "Just hurry up and talk with her. I need to talk with Claius."

"Ooh fine. I'll talk with her. Maybe I'll ask her what she thinks about you." It never hurt to add a little jab where he could. A smirk grew on Donovan’s face.

Adran paused, "I really hate you sometimes.” Turning on his heel he started out to speak with Claius. He didn’t have time for this.

"The feeling is mutual. I'll enjoy the chat!" Donovan yells back at Adran and watches him march off. "Now off to talk with the...Woman." Growling under his breath he wanders down to her house. When Donovan arrived at the little hut he beat on the door. It had been long enough for the woman to have taken a bath. "Hey you in there?"

Shade opened the door. She had her hair down around her shoulders, but still wore the clothes of a male guardian. "Sir Donovan? She eyes him suspiciously.

Donovan cleared his throat. "I'm not a sir. I'm here to talk to you."

"Very well." She leans against the doorframe. "I'll assume it’s about your attack against me at the wall, and you've been ordered to apologize. Don't. I have no interest in false apologies."

Laughing he met her gaze. "I didn't intend to apologize because I have no interest in giving false apologies. In fact I would like to inquire about your ribs."
She raised an eyebrow. "You have a powerful kick, if that's what you're looking for."

"I was hoping they still hurt." Donovan smirked and motioned to her. "You gonna stand inside the doorway all day or do you plan to step out and talk like a man."

Shade smirked in return, not moving. "If you're hoping for a sparring match, I'm under doctor's orders not to engage in another. I admit that I have no doubt you could easily beat me. It’s clear the Guardians are powerful opponents."

Naturally the woman was going to assume he wanted to spar with her. "It wouldn't even be a fair match. I'm not interested in sparring with you. Come out and I'll show you a part of the guardian life that I can almost guarantee you haven't seen."

Intrigued, Shade closed her door behind her and followed him.

"Everything we do is for training. Each little thing is made use of." Donovan kicked a pebble. "A game. You try to control the pebble and without using your hands set the opponent off balance."

"I see. And what training do you gain from sitting on a toilet or bathing, I wonder? Do you fight for your meals as well?" She muses, poking fun at the statement.

Donovan looked up at her face and smirked. "Aye training from that as well. A bath teaches one not to drown, meals are for nourishment and you learn to make do with less, finally," the smirk grew on his face "When one takes a shit it’s all about speed." At the end of his statement he couldn't help laughing. Toilet was the only piece he couldn't quite justify but, if she was here during the starving time it would make sense. Some of the food was ill equipped for the body and human consumption.

Shade laughed aloud, then groaned and put a hand to her ribs as they burned from the laugh. "Ok, I understand." She nods. "That's why you're so stiff. There's no such thing as fun around here. Probably have to train to get your drinks too."

"You find pleasure where you can." Donovan kicked the rock again. "You going to take control of it or watch me win without even so much as an attempt?"

She raises an eyebrow at him then smirked. "Well, you're so short, I'm worried if I try and trip you, you won't have time to protect your face." She took a long step, suddenly planting her foot right in front of his, just as he was about to take a step.

Donovan stumbled slightly stretching his one leg a little further ahead and pivoted so that he faced her. "Unfortunately for you..." Pivoting again he took control of the rock. "Short isn't always a bad thing."

Determined to prove him wrong she engaged him in the game and did everything she could think of to get ahead and control the pebble. Somehow he was constantly anticipating her moves and getting her off balance. She felt herself getting irritated but shut that down. He was testing her in his own way, and she was going to pass. Shade stepped in front of him again and planted her foot on the pebble then kicked it backwards, and raced after it. Her long legs could easily outpace his. She intended to reach the pebble first

Of course the woman was going to think that this trick would work. Donovan wanted to win badly. He knew one way to spoil this move almost every time. Charging after her, he hit a spot with sand and a little more gravel. Perfect for sliding. Throwing himself to the ground he slid into her and jumped back up. Jogging over to the pebble he stood behind it and faced her. "Now what?"

Shade pushed herself up off the ground, coughing from the sudden impact. She hadn't been expecting him to slide and knock her knees out from under her. She was finding that these guardians did allot of things she didn't expect. Shade grimaced as she got to her feet. The pain in her ribs kept her from re-engaging in the game. "You got me...well done. I see I still have lots to learn."

"Huh..." It was slightly disappointing to have the game end so early. "You will need to play with the children." Walking over to where she was he nodded his head toward a large building. "Time to eat. Come sit in the hall."

"Oh no. I've seen how you eat. We are not sharing the same dipping bowl." Shade replied with a determined shake of her head. She paused nervously at the door. Several guardians had noted her entrance and were tapping each other to look at the traitorous King's guard. The last thing she wanted was to be jumped by a group of guardians who decided they had a bone to pick with her. "I'm not hungry." She said suddenly, with a stern expression. "I'll eat at a later time."

Donovan grabbed her by one arm and started to push her in the room. "No, you're hungry now.”

She hesitated a moment but finally relented. If the man who had attacked her yesterday was literally pulling her to eat with him today, hopefully the other guardians would take the hint that she wasn't to be attacked. She sits beside him at the table, watching the other guardians just as warily as they watched her. Her smirking expression from before was replaced with the stern hard mask of a soldier. One that said 'don't mess with me.'

An easy grin came to Donovan's face. "Now you'll learn to eat like one of us." One of the Guardian's on the opposite of Shade moved over with a sneer. "I won't share a bowl with her." Donovan walked over to the spot. "Then I will."

Shade grimaced. "Only if you dip with the correct hand. I am not eating your feces. That is something I refuse to change."

A smirk grew on his face. "Ah...You mean if I choose not to use the left hand." He couldn't help chuckling at the expression on her face. "It would only make a difference if my left hand was the one I used to wipe my ass." Men in the surrounding area laughed with him. They all knew Donovan would question traditions where he could. Still he kept his left hand tucked under the table so that she would at least eat with them. "How does the Kings Guard train, you're not well suited for battle."

"The King's Guard are perfectly well suited for battle...against normal soldiers. But we all know that Guardians...aren't normal soldiers." Shade replied, tearing a piece of bread and dipping it. It was so strange to be eating with people she would have willingly killed only a week ago. "Those who are interested in fighting are given a year's training. Many young noble recruits fall out during that time, unable to handle the realities of a soldier's life. Those who are still standing are tested. The weak are weeded out and the rest are molded into King's Guard."

Donovan's eyebrows raised slightly. Only a year of training to determine who would be tested. "How do they determine which soldiers pass this test? What does a King's Guard life look like once he is accepted?"

Shade pauses mid-bite, staring at him curiously. "Why are you so interested in the King's guard life? I would think that's the last thing you'd care to hear about considering how the guardians despite them."

"Because I have an assignment." He met her gaze and almost growled. "I need to find out these things about your life and it may just help me kill a few more King's Guard in the future."

Shade lowered the bread she was eating. "An assignment?" Her expression became stern. "So all this is just an effort to coerce information out of me." She wiped her hands and pushed away from the table to leave. "I don't like being played." She growled. "If you have questions, ask them straight out, but don't manipulate me."

Donovan stood up at the same time. "I'm not trying to coerce information. I asked a straight forward question and earlier was simply a courtesy." He walked around the edge of the table. "You talk with me and I make an exchange. The exchange is that nobody here will bother you."

"I'll earn their respect on my own ability, not because someone told them to." She growled. "And I will be sharing my knowledge with the guardians not because I want something in exchange but because I'm trying to do what is right." She turned away from him, storming out of the dining hall.

Rolling his eyes he jogged out after the woman. "You can't hide in that house and wait for Adran to serve you every meal. I'm trying to make a fair exchange."

"Did you not hear me!?" She exclaimed. "I'm not interested in an exchange! I gave up everything to come here and submit myself to the guardians, whether that ended in my execution or imprisonment and I expected nothing in return. And now, I will fight and I will die with the guardians. I will tell your commanders everything they need to know to survive the siege and I expect nothing in return. Insinuating that you must manipulate information out of me or that I require an exchange just goes to show you have no interest in making me a comrade as you were pretending earlier." She was clearly angered by the entire situation. "Don't presume to manipulate me as one who has no honor."

Taking a deep breath he continued. "I'm not trying to manipulate. My task was from Adran. I want to learn to be more than a Guardian and he told me to talk to you. Apparently I need to learn about people besides Guardians and I was trying to justify the reason I would ask those kinds of questions. Would you come, please come and finish the meal. It is part of how we live. We eat together not in little huts to be catered to by the doctor.”

Shade sighed inwardly, relaxing slightly as he explained himself. Finally she nods and relents to the finish the meal with him, though still on edge. An assignment from Adran? Was this exchange really as innocent as a soldier learning more about people beyond the guardians? Or was the reality that the man didn't trust she was relaying the truth of everything and was actually playing her. He was clever enough to use a fellow guardian to do the snooping. Even one as crass as Donovan. She returned to the table but was much less forthcoming as she had been before. She didn't like being played...and this felt like some sort of set-up.

While he didn't completely fail Donvoan still had a feeling it didn't go as it was supposed to. After the meal he got up from the table and quietly walked with her outside. "Adran is far too cautious to introduce you to the Guardians the way he should. If you want to really become one of us come find me or go find Isolde." Breaking off at the Y in the trail he glanced back at her. "Goodnight."

"Good night." She replies with a curt nod, her expression still stern as she retreated to her room with much to think about. Shade paced her room. At first she’d been having fun. Donovan wasn’t as bad a soldier as she’d thought him to be originally. Hot-headed perhaps...but he didn’t seem like the manipulative type. For some reason, she believed him when he’d said that Adran had given him an assignment to learn more about life outside of the guardians. That part made sense. The man was clearly a soldier through and through, with no sense of etiquette. However, that would also make him the perfect person to pry information from her when her defenses was lowered.

She was stupid. She’d allowed Adran’s seemingly whole-hearted acceptance of her lower her defenses. She’d played right into the silver-tongue’s hand. Was anything he said in the room yesterday even true? What if the guardians really were just brutes that wanted to take over the kingdom and cause unneeded chaos? What if they had no real interest in turning the courts and they were simply using her as a pawn. It was brilliant plan, gain her trust by making her try and gain theirs...then get every bit of information out of her by pretending to accept her into the guardians. After they were done, they’d send her forth to kill as many King’s Guard as possible before she died, all under the guise of acceptance.

After he’d finished instructing Donovan on his first lesson to become more diplomatic, Adran stopped by Claius’ office to let him know of Shade’s decision and ask how quickly they could get the branding ceremony ready by. Claius had told him tomorrow at the earliest and Adran, ecstatic, went to go tell Shade the good news. He knocked on Shade's door "Shade are you in there? It's Adran, I have something to discuss with you."

The former captain opened the door, her expression cold and stoic "What is it?" She questioned coldly. Slightly taken aback by her shift in demeanor towards him Adran responded "Erm, may I come in?" Shade hesitated a moment before finally stepping back and letting him in.
Adran proceeded to enter as Shade closed the door behind him, taking his usual seat "So I have wonderful news. I spoke with Claius about you wanting to join us and he said we could have you branded as early as tomorrow."

"Is that so?" She didn't look excited. If anything, she looked suspicious. She sat at her table, tapping the top with her fingers as her cold eyes seemed to be trying to pierce his soul. "Is there anything else?"

"Well..no, not really. I just thought you might be excited to know." His own excitement was slightly deflated at the lack of a reaction from her. She scoffed subtlety, then put on a false smile. "Of course I am. I am eager to join the guardians as an equal." She says sarcastically then grew stern. "If that's actually what you have in mind for me."

Adran blinked at her, genuinely confused by her statement. "I'm sorry? What else did you think I might have in mind for you?" Her gaze turned into one of genuine anger. "Don’t toy with me silver-tongue." She growls. "I know you sent your pet Donovan to try and entice information out of me. He was very poor at it as well. You'd think someone of your cleverness would've sent someone more beguile."

There was a pause as Adran processed what she had said to him, as he realized what had happened he buried his head in his hands. "Oh my gods. What did he say to you?" He asked exasperatedly, somehow Donovan had botched the first assignment Adran had given him.

Caught slightly off guard by his reaction Shade continued. "He was questioning personal details about the King's guard and when I questioned him about it, he foolishly admitted to being under assignment to you." Her forehead was knit together in anger. "I don't like being manipulated, especially after I've already promised to reveal everything I already know."
He sighed as the story was being told. "Ok, I think I've sorted out what happened, I just need one more detail. Did he say what the purpose of his assignment was? I have a feeling he
misunderstood the lesson I was trying to teach him."

"Oh yes, he gave me this clever line about needing to learn more about life outside of being a guardian. Thing is...I believe that. He doesn't seem clever enough to feign connection for the sake of information gathering. Which makes him so perfect for the job." She stood, her hand on the table as she glared at Adran. "I think this whole thing, you pretending to accept me wholeheartedly...accepting me so easily into the guardians, it’s all a sham. I'm just a pawn in your clever game to use and dispose of when the time comes!" She slammed her fist against the table. "I ...am not....a pawn!" She suddenly began to cough deeply, holding her side, then wheezing as she tried to catch her breath.

His first instinct was to jump to her aid, but he knew she’d never listen to reason if he did that. So Adran held his composure and never broke eye contact. "No, you're not a pawn, just the victim of an unfortunate misunderstanding... and bruised ribs. Donovan had come to me, wanting me to teach him about the ways of diplomacy. My intention was to teach him the part I deem most important first. Empathy. I wanted him to talk to you so that he could understand the similarities and differences between Guardians and King's Guardsmen so that he could find a way to empathize with their plight and find some common ground between the two of you. It seems to have ended in failure unfortunately."

Shade sat back down. He didn't even flinch. There was no sweat on the forehead, no trembling of the lip. He didn't stutter or stumble over himself grasping for a fleeting excuse or disguise to his true motives. He wasn't lying, which meant she had gravely overreacted. Shade rubbed her forehead awkwardly and stared at the table "I...uh...it seems I have misjudged the situation. I'm...sorry. Trust is still a hard thing to give...after everything."

He nodded in understanding "It's alright. If I were in your place, I'd be worried as well. That's the last time I send Donovan off on an assignment like that though." he chuckled "He also wanted me to teach him how to read, and after this experience, I feel like that might be an easier task."

She also chuckled lightly "He was doing well, up until the point that he said he was "under assignment".” Adran couldn’t believe it, but at the same time could because it was Donovan they were talking about. "I'd wanted to start him off with a challenge. He needed a little extra motivation. Despite his brutish tendencies, he's an excellent soldier."

"I have noticed. Even in a little game of kicking the pebble he managed to knock me off my feet." She shook her head. "Every little thing here is training." She had quoted Donovan’s own words, not that Adran could tell. "It's all they have. The only thing they were allowed to keep after being exiled."

"We're going to have our work cut out for us if we hope to teach them anything beyond that." She shook her head then stood and bowed to him apologetically. "Again, I am sorry for the way I reacted so harshly and with no real proof of what I thought to be your true intent. I will refrain from jumping to conclusions so quickly again."

He stood and put a comforting hand on her shoulder "No harm done. We'll find a way, if I can get Donovan of all people to kick pebbles with you, then I think the Guardians aren’t a lost cause yet. Have a good night Shade."

She looked uncomfortable with the hand on her should and subtly shrugged out of it, offering a hand instead. "Good night, Adran." Feeling slightly embarrassed after having his hand shrugged off, he shook hers and exited her room.

He’d have to find Donovan later to explain what went wrong in that lesson, but needless to say, the next time Adran gave Donovan an assignment like that, he would be one hundred percent sure the little man knew what Adran wanted him to achieve before sending him off.

[Horus Flicke] Rufus Andelorn (Andaris, Geraldis)
Horus quickly strode through the long corridors of the castle. He had brung with him good news with him, eager to redeem himself after his hiccup with Captain Biggs. He pushed open the majestic doors of the King's Study and peeked in, seeing that the King was sitting down in his seat, enjoying his morning tea while, as Horus expected, studying war logs. He allowed himself in.

"We are ready, Your Highness." Horus said proudly. Tens of thousands of men have been gathered into an army to launch an attack against the Guardians in the matter of days. In addition to that, they have recieved a new shipment from arms and supplies from the other provinces. Along with a letter from Lord Rollo itself.

It is almost ready. Patience, my king. When the spring birds set wings back into the skies of the south, your desires will become reality.

Rufus glanced up. "Dear Horus, is that so?" He stood up from his seat. "Excellent. We will depart before nightfall."

Horus faltered. So soon? He nearly spoke the words out loud, but caught himself. This king was not one to show weakness or uncertainty to. He expected no less than a victory, and Horus respected him for that. Clearing his throat, he dutifully said, "of course, Your Highness." Rufus smiled and walked alongside Horus.

"Now tell me, how have the Rollos responded?"

"They are nearing completion." Horus smiled. "But I'm surprised. They also have sent us new gear-- unlike ones I have ever seen. I have issued them to my men to get familiar with before we set for the fortress. The shields are much sturdier and balanced than the ones we are used to, but we confirmed that they can easily brush aside projectiles and even sword strokes. The crossbows now are easier to reload; they have some sort of mechanism I am unfamiliar with that lets the string draw back smoother, and the bolts fly faster and harder. They should easily tear through chain mails..." He paused. "I assume you are not interested in these sorts, Your Highness."

Rufus smiled warmly. "No matter, seeing you invigorated by this new addition pleases me. Be sure to send the Guilds and Lord Rollo my regards."

The king gazed out of the window, which pointed westwards towards the enemy. There was a moment of silence before he spoke again. "Bring me my sword, will you?"

Horus retrieved it, but hesitantly asked, "you plan on joining us, Your Majesty?"

Rufus smiled. "Well, it is only right for a king to lead his own men into battle, yes?" He beckoned Horus to walk with him. They exited the study and started to head for the exit of the castle. "Let us visit your men to see the adjustments to their weaponry."

Horus smiled. This king was different. This king was the one he was hoping to emerge from the cowards of his bloodline. Decades have past under the rule of Rowan Andelorn; decades that were wasted in the midst of the dormant powers of the kingdom. Now, the phoenix has rose from it's ashes, burning brighter and hotter than ever before.

So it has begun.

Rajiana Pendragon (Armory, Helies)

His hands grow sore as he trains, until he winces as he grips the blade. He heads back to the armory to return the wooden saber, when he is greeted with the distribution of new equipment. There were scraggly men handing out shields, bows, swords, and many other fine pieces that had a curious design. Upon receiving a shining sword and set of armor, he looked in confusion at the man. "What is this for, might I ask?" He says to the man who offered the handout. "New gear from Rollon, a gift to his majesties army." He explained briefly, scratching off figures on a checklist. Rajiana nodded towards him as thanks, and headed to his dorm. What a peculiar set... he thinks to himself, examining the ornate blade that was sharp as a cassowary talon.

How nice of them, really. Giving us these magnificent sets must have costed a fortune. What the hell could we use them for? There is no... war... or perhaps I am greener than I thought. Regardless, I feel uneasy about such spontaneous generosity. Brushing his thoughts aside, he lays down on his bed and groans in relief. There was no telling what could be ahead. Perhaps this is why the officer was so shocked of his inexperience? Was he afraid he was going to die from his stupidity... or be a waste of his bread?

Isolde Bennett - Impregnable Fortress; Geraldis

Isolde found her way to the sewage system, watching as a number of men worked dutifully. She grimaced at the idea of being appointed said job and sighed realizing she had been turned into a messenger. I don't understand why Clay couldn't have told his father about this himself, Saxo is more likely to listen to him rather than me. After all these years, growing up inside these walls, you think that man would treat me with a little more respect than... than this. But I guess he did it on purpose, he knows me well enough to know that this task would irritate me enough. A strange form of punishment for hitting the captain maybe? Who knows... dammit Clay.

The woman walked over to the men working way, "Gooday, is General Saxo around? I need to speak with him and I'm under the impression he is here." The men working on the sewage system turned to Isolde, shaking their heads and somewhat looking around. "No, I'm sorry Miss Bennett but he's not here. I think he was at the walls helping with fortification." Isolde sighed, "OK, thank you. Fine work by the way!"

Isolde began her trek across the fortress toward the walls where the fortifications were being complete. For an important man, he sure is hard to find. Clay has probably already seen him by now and could've told him himself... ridiculous. The woman finally approached the walls as dozens of men and women were working away. Even the children were partaking in the work, bringing snacks and drinks to those who were too busy to stop for a break. Isolde smiled at the teamwork at hand, we really are a blessed little community in our own way, aren't we? The woman approached the workers, waving a hand to get their attention. "Gooday, is General Saxo working with you fine folk?" One of the men temporarily stopped what he was doing to look up at Isolde, "Ah, Isolde! Naw, he's not here. Try his dorm maybe?" Isolde sighed again, but smiling at the man. "Thank you, keep up the good work!"

The Guardian stormed away from the fortress walls, clearly irritated now. I've been sent on a bloody goose chase! This is unacceptable, I am not a messenger. I have a job that I need to do, an important one! I shouldn't be running around looking for your father. This is something you could've done yourself but alas! I am a victim to another one of your cruel jokes. I should've never hit that damn Kings Guard, it's costing me a lot of annoyance right now. By the time Isolde made it to the dorms she had calmed down enough to knock on Saxo's door in a polite manner. His voice sounded from the other side, inviting her in. She accepted, opened the door, and stood in the doorway with her hands tucked professionally behind her back.

"General, I have a message from Clay... Pardon me, Claius. He has asked that you look into the Sewage System of the Fortress, stating that it is a crack in our defenses as the system opens into a channel that we cannot see clearly from the walls. We could easily be backdoored through this method and only see them before it is too late." Isolde was not only well versed in how to speak to soldiers who ranked above her, but an intelligent woman when not flustered. Saxo looked at her and grunted. "Yes, Isolde, thank you. I will look into this matter, you're excused."

"Sir". Isolde exited the room, shutting the door behind her. Her stomach growled, she was hungry and decided to venture into the cafeteria for a meal.

Claius Vondale (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)
Claius glanced in the hall uncertainly. The preparations were all prepared, but such a large ceremony felt so foreign to him. The last time the Guardians had an event like this was when Adran joined their ranks. Most other Guardians were branded before they even knew how to walk, and the celebration was a rare one.

Hopefully, there still would be enough supplies for the impending war. He thought. The timing wasn't the best for such occasion, but Guardians were not truly connected unless they received the brand. He had asked for the festivities to be cut down, due to their lack of time and proper resources.

It quieted down in the hall as everyone settled down. They had setup up a fire with a poker bearing the Guardian shield in the flames, which flickered brightly inn the otherwise dimly lit room. Everyone was now silent as they waited for Shade to enter. She did, a bit awkwardly. It appeared that she was not accustomed to their ways yet, which was completely understandable. Adran was no different the day he arrived, nor the few others that were born outside the fortress walls. He visibly could see her shivering from the cold. Normally, there would a healthy amount of flames to keep the indoors warm, but the occasion required relative darkness.

She approached Claius nervously. This would be the second time we spoke face to face, Claius noted. As she stood there, he put his hand on her shoulder. She, picking up quickly, placed her's on his.

"Shade Biggs, who hails Luina, has come forth to join the family."

The crowd chanted back. It was weaker than normal. Perhaps everyone was weary about having a ex-King's Guard in their presence, but the divided crowd showed little enthusiasm like they did with Donovan, or even Adran, to an extent. Perhaps. Adran was not welcomed when he first came to the fortress, but he gradually became among the most respected in the family. Claius hoped Shade would be the same.

"I swear an oath to protect the family." He announced. Shade glanced nervously towards the crowd, most likely searching for Adran. Claius smiled to her, and her grip on his shoulder relaxed a little. She took a deep breath.

"I swear an oath to protect the family." She replied. Claius nodded encouragingly.

“I swear an oath to protect my clan, as the clans have sworn to protect me. To spill my blood for my family, and the brother families that have joined us to perish this greater evil. My duty as a Guardian grants me the strength to guard, protect, and serve— to my last breath.”

At least, that was how it was back in the day. The Guardians never had someone that was the inventive type, so they just made some tweaks to the oaths that their ancestors sworn to when the Eruvians still dominated the world. The words were unfamiliar even to Claius, and he had only recited it a couple times in his life.

"To spill my blood for my brethren who I live amongst, sharing my hardships and happiness with them." He continued. She repeated it back.

"My duty as a Guardian grants me the strength to guard, protect, and serve— to my last breath.” He finished. The last part Shade said hesitantly. Guard. Protect. Serve. Those were duties that she took up once she first joined the King's Guard. She probably felt as if they betrayed her, as opposed of the other way around. She finished off stronger, which led Claius to believe that she has committed to their cause. He turned towards the crowd.

"And so we shall hold her to this oath, and should she break it, let the judgement come from the hands of the gods." Claius boomed. The crowd called out again, starting small, but crescendoed into a hearty chant. Shade smiled as she turned to face the onlookers. As she did, Claius retrieved the poker.

"Kneel down." He whispered in her ear. She did so, and he leveled the glowing red metal to her shoulder.

"And so the pact is sealed." He denounced, pressing the branding iron to her skin. It sizzled ever so slightly before he took it off, leaving a shield emblem. He dropped the poker into the bucket of water next to him, and lifted Shade to her feet. She probably was briefly disoriented by the searing heat of the metalpiece. The crowd now got up, and many had started gathering around the two of them. Claius caught a glimpse of Adran to the side, and smiled.

They should have at least a couple hours off. Claius decided. Tomorrow we can resume preparing for war.

Last edited:
THE DRUNKEN FEAST: Featuring the Guardians Shade, Adran, Isolde and Donovan along with guest star appearance Clauis!

Shade joins the group at the table after her branding. It burned like hellfire but it was worth it and she bore it proudly. There was no more room for doubts. "Looks like I'm officially one of you now. I look forward to becoming a trusted comrade in arms"
Donovan couldn't help some of his skepticism from showing. "Yeah one of us."
Isolde smacked the back of Donovan's shoulder in a playful manner, "Yes. One of us!" She smacked his shoulder due to skepticism.
Adran smiles "Welcome to the Guardians Shade."
"I say we welcome her properly.." Isolde snickers
Donovan couldn't help the grin coming to his face. "Aye..." Mischief clearly written on his features.
Shade raises an eyebrow "Properly?"
"Yes. Show you to your bunk." Donovan snickers. Often they would tie a blanket over the new member's head and torso. With their arms strapped their side and roll them out into the dark and see how long it took the new member to find their way back to barracks.
"We can do that later though, Donovan, for now.. We celebrate!" Isolde offers Shade a drink
"Why to my bunk?" Shade takes the drinking, making note to sleep with one eye open tonight and her door locked. She takes the drink and lifts it in cheer before jugging it down.
Donovan smirked. "Its just custom. Don't question. Drink up."

"It's better if you didn't know." Isolde looked at Adran, as if to say not to give it away. "Doctor, you need a drink as well!"
Adran smirks at Isolde "I see no reason why not?" Grabs a mug and begins to sip
"How many recruits do you get from outside the walls?" She asked once finishing her first drink
"Adran was the last before you." Donovan purposefully left himself out of the equation.
Isolde looked over at Donovan inquisitively and then back to Shade. "Clay would know best. I was born here so I can only speak for people in my life time, not before it, but he would know from hearing it from his father."

Pushing another drink toward Shade he grinned. "Tonight is one of the few chances you'll get to drink like this."
"Drunkness is not a trait I abide by." She replies, rejecting the second drink. "A soldier must always be ready and alert."
Donovan laughed. "Not when you're welcomed to the family. It's tradition to drink. Rest of us will watch out for you." He wanted her to get drunk cause the game was more fun that way.
Claius joins in. "I very much doubt anyone drinks like you, Donovan."
Isolde laughs, "Clay is right! but all the same, it is a time for celebration." She looks to Clay now, offering him a drink. "You too, Clay."
Donovan’s smile faded slightly. He was 14 when he joined and they talked him into drinking far more than what he should have.

Adran shakes his head "Oh hush, if I recall correctly I didn't drink that much when I joined either."
"See. A fellow wise man." Shade give him a heavy pat on the back
Isolde looks at the two of them, her face bored. "You two... are made for each other."
"Well, we didn't prepare all of this for nothing. I'd say enjoy ourselves for the night. We got a long day ahead of us." Clauis nods.
That only sprung Donovan's mischief a small bound forward. "Yes that reminds me...Shade you think he's a wise man... anything else?"
Shade takes the second drink, planning only to sip it "Hmm? I don't understand the question."
Adran's eyes go wide.
Isolde grins "Ahhh, so has there been some courtship then?" she asks while drinking from her mug
"Stop it, guys." Clauis interjects, amused.

Whenver Adran had those glasses on his eyes got especially buggy and Donovan laughed.
"A courtship? A courtship to who!?" Shade asks completely confused getting a round of laughs in return for her confusion.
Isolde turns to Clay "You're no fun either, gramps" she said playfully.
Shade sips her drink, noting Adran had gone strangely red.
"Doctor's a fine man. Highly respected." Donovan nodded and continued as if it wasn't at all about them courting though it was. "I think you'd better have him check the brand tonight."
Adran hides his blush by chugging his drink.
Shade narrows her eyes at donovan "If you're trying to infer something improper just because I'm a woman...I'll have you know I posed as a man for 10 years and no one ever suspected."
"I would beleive it too." Donovan's smirk got bigger.

Isolde smiled at Shade "Shade, he's trying to get under your skin, don't mind him.. It's just playful rouse"
Claius stands up abruptly. "I'd best be going. Enjoy yourselves."
"Come on Clay, can't you stay?" Isolde asked.
Adran finishes his drink "Clay, you've been working yourself ragged for days. Sit down and relax. Doctor's orders."
"Yes, sit. I'd like to get to know my new commander a little better before going to war with him"
"He's still the commander." Donovan shook his head. "He'll do what he bloody needs to."
"I got to be by myself for a while. Pardon me." Claius exits, stage right.

"But Donovan... he should stay." Isolde sounded sad as she watched him go.
Adran sighs as Claius leaves "He's still mourning."
Isolde rested her cheek against her hand and sighed "I get that, but I wish he would've just stayed."
"Have you no sensitivity you lout. Let him be!" Donovan grabs a drink for himself.
"Absolutely none." Isolde declares.
"Children, don't make me separate you two." Adran smirks. Isolde glared at him in response.
Donovan snickers. "That would be fine with me. Then I could sit beside Shade and drink."
Shade chuckles at Donovan "Looks like you'll be the one getting drunk tonight, dwarf."
He tried to ignore her comment about getting drunk. "It takes more than 2 to get me." Donovan declares.
"I doubt it. You're small. I'll bet three max and you will be so drunk you won't be able to stand" Shade smirked challengingly.
"Oh boy, do you have it coming newcomer..." Isolde muttered.
It was going to be another mistake if she thought it was coming. Donovan grinned. "Then I'll match you." This was how most people went down.

Isolde looked to Adran, leaned over and whispered "I think you should save your damsel before she makes a mistake."
"I don't drink to get drunk. I was just challenging your statement."
"You issued the challenge now keep it."
Adran blushed again and whispered to Isolde "I don't know what you're talking about!"
"I issued the challenge to you and said nothing about joining myself. Unless you really do get drunk after only two drinks." Shade leans back in her chair and smirks.
Isolde whispers back "Oh but I think you do, doctor" she winks and sits back in her seat
"You've only had 2 and I've matched you. Drink more and you'll find out." Donovan smiled back at her and gave her another drink while pulling one toward himself.
Adran glares at Isolde and begins to sip another drink
Shade taps her fingers on the table then sits up. What the hell. She needed drinks after a night like this anyway "Fine." She grabs the mug.
Isolde downs her drink "That makes 2 for me!"
"Fine it is." Donvoan waited for her to get half way through her drink before he started his. "Now lets consider the fourth."
A fourth? Why had she agreed to this? "You first, dwarf."
Isolde leaned back to Adran "I think we have been forgotten. You have to help me this get buffoon to his room after he passes out."
Donovan finished his drink and then started into the fourth. "Your turn." It looked like she was already getting flushed in the cheeks. Wouldn't be long till he won.
"Surely you're strong enough to carry him on your own, Isolde."
"But I don't want to..."
"Who's going to help our newest recruit then?" He says without thinking.

She was already feeling the effects. And debated starting the fourth. "Ugh...fine...I give." She pushed her mug away, knowing if she drank anymore she'd be seriously sick and too drunk to stand.
Isolde snickers "Well... that would be your job. Once we roll her down a hill, of course."
Donovan almost frowned. "You stop at four? Can't you hold your drink?"
Adran gawks "Roll her down a hill?! That's not what happened when I joined."
Shade shook her head, already annoyingly typsy. "Nope. That's why i don't get drunk...drink...to get drunk." She frowns at her inebriated tongue.
Isolde widely grins "All the more reason to take care of your damsel, Adran."
Sighing he pulled the drink away from her side of the table. "Can't let it go to waste." Downing her drink too Donvan peered over at Adran. "You gonna drink yours or gab all night?"
Adran blushes even harder and downs his second drink.

Isolde sits back down in her seat "I am behind!" she reaches for a third drink.
"Can't let her get ahead of me." Donovan chuckles and gets up to get his sixth drink now. "How about you drink half of this one Shade and I'll have the rest of it?" She was almost to the perfect stage of drunk for the games to begin.
"Or would you rather share with Adran?"
"She would, Donovan, she would." Isolde snickers.
"Hmm...no...shouldn't have ....any more..." She waved her hand. Then looked over at Adran, raising an eyebrow in confusion. "He's already drunk." She points a thumb at his red face.
"Yes..Drunk.. that's what it is." Adran keeps his head down.
"He doesn't hold his drink well. You need to drink half of this one and then let me serve him up the last half. Needs his rest too." Donovan wanted to see them both staggering because he doubted that Adran would let the games proceed. He pushes a third drink toward Adran

"Oh Shade, dear. He is not drunk, he's embarrassed because you're his damsel" Isolde spat out. “Oops"
Shade frowns. "I am no one's damsel. I'm the damn knight that comes in to save the damsel"
"Sure you are. Share the drink with me or him?" Donovan asks again.
"I guess you'll be saving Adran then?" Isolde asked, laughing
"Isolde.." Adran growled
"If I have to choose between the dwarf and the doctor...he's more handsome." She jerks her head at adran and grabs the mug, drinking half and passing the other half to Adran who blushes to maximum and awkwardly drinks her third drink then looks away.
Donovan laughs. "Oh she insults me!" Leaning against the wall behind himself he garbles a half scream. "Wounded by cruel words."
Isolde snickers at Donovan "It's to be expected that she fancies the doctor, Donovan."
"I know. Those fine eyes and hair."
"I...fancy no one, Isolde." Shade declares in a drunken adamant.
"Haven't fancied anyone since I were a child"
"Aye...Just not me. Impish and dark." Donovan walked over to her side of the table and helped her up. "C'mon time for your bed."
Isolde smiles "The words might say that but.... I know it when I see it" She thinks about something, or someone, for a moment.
Adran is frozen in place.

Shade frowns at Donovan and pushes him off. "I don't need your help barbaric dwarf. I'm perfectly capable of walking on my own."
Isolde leans over to Adran and whispers again "Be ready to catch her, she's going to fall!"
"Barbaric dwarf?" Stepping back he shook his head. "Well in that case I'll be getting another drink on teh way there. Just watch...." Wincing he saw her stub her toe and tilt awkwardly. "Sure you don't want help." Chuckling he glanced back at Adran. "Now the fun starts."
"No...the fun is ending. I will be sleeping this off." She staggers from the table, some how, someway just managing to keep her balance, using the chairs for support. She began heading in the direction of her previously home, clearly not knowing that was no longer where she would be staying
Adran stands up "Um, actually Shade now that you're a Guardian, you'll be sleeping in the barracks."
"Should we really let her stay there her first night? She does seem a bit subdued..."
Donovan shrugs. "I'll keep an eye on her. Nobody got to worry about anything happening."
"Barraks! I'm a Captain! I have my own room!" She declares adamantly.
Isolde felt slightly bad for the ex-captain having to stay in the barracks in the state she was in "Shade, you're not a captain here..."
Shade paused and frowned. "Damn...I worked my ass off for 10 years to get there. Now I have to start all over again." She says more to herself than to anyone else.
Adran walks up to Shade "With your skill though, you'll be back up to captain before you know it. Come on I can show you the way."

Isolde smiles suddenly while finishing off her third drink "Courting!"

"Who are you courting, Isolde?"
Adran glares at Isolde again.
"Oh I think you're courting the doctor." Donovan chuckles. "C'mon now, move."
Isolde stands and approaches the three "At least someone is being courted in this mess..."
"Me? No... I've never courted anyone in my life. No male wants to court another male." She laughs at the thought, and follows the group. “Barracks huh? Man..."
"Oh well you might be surprised. Doctor is a strange one." Donovan smirks.

Trying to get ahead to get the door open Donovan got squished against it instead by Shade. "You dufus." Reaching with his arm he tried to grab the latch.
Adran's eyes are glued to his feet.
Isolde laughs. The group looked comical. "Come on Adran, head up. Let's go."
It seemed that everyone piled against the door and he grunted. "Isolde get the latch I can't reach it."
Shade pulls the latch. Donovon falls inside. Hitting the floor he gave an attempt to scramble but, failed. Grunting he felt Shade land on him. "Ow..."
"Shade! You alright? Let me help you up." Adran comes out of his stupor to come to her rescue.
Isolde stood and watched the three of them "Idiots..."
Shade is helped up by Adran and she leans against him for balance. She smiles at him as he supports her. “I’ve never fancied anyone...but if I did...I might fancy you.”
Isolde looked at them blankly while hearing Shade "Well there you have it, the damsel has appeared! She is yours for the taking, Adran."
Even if Donovan was a bit miffed at getting mashed he couldn't help raising his eyebrows at Shade's comment. An airy laugh started. "Oh I knew there was something there."

Adran looks away and silently helps Shade to her bed.
"I said i MIGHT! I didn't say I did..." Shade scoffs to donovan.
Donovan chuckled. "Might and would is the same with women."
Isolde puts a hand on Donovan's shoulder, "Stand down, little man. Let them be." Swaying slightly on his feet he looks up at Isolde. "Uh huh. I've always been little man."
Adran helps Shade into her bed avoiding eye contact "Once your hangover is gone tomorrow, come see me and we'll check on your brand."
Shade sits and waves him off. "I've had worse. Nothing a good night's sleep won't cure."
"Tell that to infection Shade. You're reporting in tomorrow, no excuses."

Nodding a little Donovan grinned. "That's right." He held her fists at her side and looked to Isolde. "Get the ropes and doctor, wrap her up good with the blanket."
She glares at donovan "Get your hands off me dwarf or I'll break your nose" When he doesn't let go she attempts to headbutt him.
Donovan snickered till she tried to headbutt and turned his head instead of lowering it. "Ow you miserable son of a bit...." She was a girl so it didn't really count.
Isolde laughed slightly "Donovan, she's a feisty one. Maybe we should just leave her."
"No...Got to finish out tradition."
"Please stop, before I have two patients tomorrow." Adran interjects.
Shade, not ready to give up this fight, throws herself back on the bed throwing her knee up to his jaw.
This time Donovan was better prepared for something to come his way and rolled off of her and then jumped back up and plastered himself to her torso. "Isolde hurry up!"
Isolde stared at Donovan jumping on the poor woman "This has gone too far now, come on Donovan get off of her!"

"Traitor! I was just branded your companion and now you're attacking me?" Shade demands, trying to fight him off her in the midst of being hopelessly drunk.

Donovan moved off of her reluctantly. "At least you could’ve help me instead of standing there like a dunce."
Adran looked like he was ready to punch Donovan's lights out for the way he’d treated Shade.
"A... what?" Isolde replied, clearly Donovan hit a soft spot. "Sounds to me like you're going down the hill instead!" Isolde jumped toward Donovan.
Donovan staggered to the side and laughed even after she barrelled into him. "I don't think so."
Adran rolls his eyes and attempts to intervene "That's enough you drunken buffoons!"
"Buffoon!" Donovan growled and pushed at Adran. "I can hold my own."
"Drunken bufoons!" Isolde looks at Donovan. "I say we throw them both down the hill then! and here I was going to spare the newbie"
Donovan scowled at her. "I'm not going down that hill. She will."

Adran looked genuinely angry "I've had enough! All of you into bed, now!"
Shade sat up and was looking genuinely green. "Oh god...this is why I don't drink..."
Donovan turned around and shoved Adran into a bed. "There you're in bed now!"
Isolde looked at Adran who looked like a father getting mad at his children "...fine, you're no fun." She moves toward the door.
Adran gets up and pushes Donovan into a wall "Don't fucking test me tonight dwarf."
Slamming into the wall Donvoan chuckled and tipped into bed that Shade was laying on. Half flopping on her stomach he groaned. "No need for voile...Ugh!" He exclaimed as Shade suddenly puked all over him.
Isolde looked at the two of them and grimaced. "Well, that's my cue to leave... Come on Adran, walk back with me and leave Donovan to deal with his mess."
Adran facepalms "God’s dammit...Stay in bed, Shade. I'll get you something to settle your stomach. You on the other hand, got what you deserved Donovan." He leaves with Isolde

Groaning Donovan sat up and stared at the woman. He was going to be having his fun anyway after they left. Stumbling around the room with puke dripping off his shirt he made sure they were gone and then rolled Shade out of her bed. "C'mon we gotta get to the hill."
"Huh, what hill?" Blinks wearily and confused.
"A big hill." Donovan slurred the words and helped her to her feet. "Just walk with me. I'll show you."
"Think i should just go to sleep." She grumbles, allowing him to walk her.
"Yeah you will after this. Small sightseeing." Donovan chuckled and led her to the hills. "Look down there." Leaning slightly forward he figured a tiny bit of weight would send her tumbling only he didn't expect her to give way so fast.
She grabbed his arm as she fell, pulling him with and rolled down the hill like a log.
Donovan grunted when she rolled over him the first time and then pulled his arm out of her grasp, but she still rolled faster and rolled over him again. By the time he got to the bottom of the hill he felt sick. "Ugh...I....Huaagh!" Heaving right next to Shade he puked a good round and then decided to move over so he didn't' get any on himself and puked again.
She moved out of the way of Donovan’s load and grimaced, nearly puking again. "I'm never drinking ever again."
"Nonsense it was a good time." Donovan managed to hurry the words out before he puked again.
“Yeah...good time.”

Isolde walked out of the barracks and headed in a completely random direction, unaware of where she was actually headed and now feeling the effects of the liquor. Adran having followed close behind her began steering her towards her room. "Oh no you don't. You're going straight to bed."

Isolde looked at Adran unimpressed "But the night is young and I'm only at 3." Adran shook his head. "You've caused enough trouble as it is."

"What is that supposed to mean?" She asked indignantly. "Trying to press the courtship issue, encouraging Shade to drink more than she was comfortable with, encouraging Donovan's antics, need I go on?"

Isolde grinned at him "Donovan was the one who challenged her to a drinking game, she engaged in a battle she could not win! Captain should know better than that. You're lucky I didn't roll her down the hill. Also, the courtship needed to be pressed"

"What is that supposed to mean?" He asked, dumbfounded by her statement. "You weren't doing it yourself." Isolde now looked at him with an eerie seriousness that only those under the influence of alcohol possess.

Adran’s eyes went wide once again at Isolde’s statement. "Courting her? What makes you think I want to court her in the first place?" The woman sighed. "I think everyone here forgets I'm a woman, I swear. I see it, obviously."

Adran blushed and looked away "Just because it's there doesn’t mean I want to pursue it. I'll only get my heart broken." He knew it would never happen between him and Shade, she was a perfect combination of brains, brawn and beauty, and he was just a scrawny doctor who couldn’t even negotiate for peace. He wasn’t even worth her time of day.

Isolde boisterously laughed to break the tension "Don't be so pessimistic, Adran. You don't know that! Trust me, I have been there." He looked at her skeptically. "Oh really? In what capacity have you 'been there'?"

Isolde bit her tongue realizing what she had said "Simply drunken words. But seriously Adran, if you don't act someone else will fancy her. She won't wait forever." Adran was growing flustered now. "Isolde, she isn’t interested in me. You heard her, she hasn’t fancied anyone since she was a child. I'm nowhere near worth her time or affection."

"You know Adran, for how intelligent you are, you are completely clueless about this aren't you?" Isolde's voice softened, "It's not what she says that gives it away, just watch how a person acts and that's all you need. But I understand that feeling of hopelessness."

He was intrigued by Isolde’s admission and pressed further. "You do? Do you fancy someone as well Isolde?" Her eyes looked sad. "Think about the only person I've known here the longest." Isolde was silent for a moment "But! We are talking about you and Shade, do not deflect. You have to build up the courage to say something to that woman."

Adran pondered Isolde’s words for a moment. The only person she’d known the longest? Well as far as Adran knew the only person Isolde had known the longest in the Guardians was… he gawked when he realized the answer. "Claius! You fancy Claius?!"

Isolde looked at Adran sternly and punched his shoulder "Seriously!?" The woman was clearly embarrassed. Adran grunted in pain and rubbed his shoulder "I probably deserved that one. Why haven’t you told him anything? You keep telling me to work up the courage to tell her, but you've had years to tell him."

Isolde wrapped her hands behind her head and looked up at the sky as they walked "Simple. Illya. I was never close with him growing up, sure we knew each other and were friends but not like them. Besides, it doesn't matter anymore."

"Why doesnt it matter?" Adran grew concerned for his friend. "Her death crushed him... and he doesn't need to know now." Isolde then looked sternly back at Adran "I will beat you in front of Shade as embarassment if you say anything."

He nodded. "I won’t say anything to him. But I think you should tell him once he's finished mourning. You never know what might happen."

Isolde exasperatedly shook her head. "Enough of this, we were talking about you! Where are going anyway?" Adran had stopped leading her. At times like these, there was only one solution for two hopeless romantics like them. “I was taking you to bed... but now I think we both need a drink."

"TO THE TAVERN!" Isolde declares. Adran chuckles "To the tavern!" As they stumble over to said tavern, Adran had a smile on his face. The two of them may not have the courage to admit their feelings, but at least they both had a shoulder to cry on now. Somehow, he felt like they were going to be ok.

Shade and Adran: The Confession

Adran sits in the infirmiry rubbing his fingers on his temples when Shade enters "Shade. Surprised you remembered to come like I asked last night. How are you feeling?"
"Like crap." She groans, taking a seat nearby and rubbing her own forehead. "I acted like a complete fool last night...didn't I? I am very sorry for any and all the drunken things that were spoken."
Adran chuckles then instantly regrets it, pinching the bridge of his nose "It's quite alright, Shade. Most of the ensuing antics were caused by Donovan anyway."
Shade harrumphs. "Stupid dwarf tossed me down a hill. I made sure he went down with me." She chuckles lightly, then notes Adran's own distress. "I don't remember you drinking enough to get drunk last night."
"Isolde and I decided to have a few more after we sent you to be- Rolled you down a hill?! What in the name of the gods is wrong with that man?"

Shade chuckles at Adran's outburst. "It was rather amusing...until he started puking all over the place as well." She grimaces. "I always used to look down upon those who got drunk and acted like fools." She took a breath, then set her hand down on the table where she sat. "Good to be a Guardian...their standards are much lower."
"Less of that constant pressure to be someone you're not?" Adran asks with a note of understanding
Shade nods. "There is that. And the guardians are much more family that the King's Guard ever were. Its every man for himself there. Perhaps that will be their undoing."

Adran nods. "A logical hope to grasp onto. Speaking of family however, it's time for me to make sure mine is at 100%. Let's see how that brand is healing." He puts on his gloves as she pulls down the back of her shirt to give access to the brand.
Adran blushes slightly, trying to maintain his professionalism as he examines her back. "Hmm, yes that seems to be healing quite nicely. You and I were lucky, if our brands had become infected, this joining would have been hell."
"Well, I'm glad the brand is healing well. Got anything for the hangover?" She chuckles at his red eyes and the tint in his cheeks. "Looks like you could use something yourself."
"Me? No I'm fine. If you're asking for an instant fix, I'm afraid such a cure hasn't been invented yet. Best thing you can do is drink a lot of water, get some food in your stomach and try to sleep it off if you have time."
"I suppose I deserve it anyway for letting that dwarf lure me into an impossible challenge. Thankyou, Adran." She readjusted her shirt and turned to leave.

"Ah, Shade. One thing before you leave. "Did you mean all of the things you said last night?" He says nervously.
"Hmm?" Shade looks away trying to remember everything she'd said. Alot of it was a blur but a few things remained. "I believe I said alot of things last night...but even drunk I make it a point never to lie if at all possible. What in particular are you asking about?"
"Well, it was when Isolde and Donovan were playing up that silly courtship thing." Adran tried to laugh it off as a joke. "You said you didnt fancy anyone, but if you did, you might fancy me."
"Oh..." For the first time since he met her a non-alcohol induced flush came to her cheeks, though it was barely noticeable one. I did say that, didn't I? The first time I've felt anything other than comradity towards a man and I say it aloud. She appeared to be looking for an appropriate answer. "Yes. I meant what I said. I find you to be an honorable man, Adran and I enjoy our conversations. However, I have lived the last 10 years of my life as a man and wouldn't even know to fancy a man as a woman. Thus my statement if I ever were to...you would be the sort of man I might. I meant it as a compliment...I hope I didn't embarrass or offend you again."
"No, no. It wasn't embarrassing at all. In fact I'm quite flattered that you feel that way about me Shade. I must admit, I feel a similar way for you. You've a mixture of intellect, combat prowess and feminine beauty that I've never witnessed before. You're also an honorable woman, and I find myself wishing to converse with you more each day. I confess, I'm not really experienced in these matters either, but you are definitely the kind of woman I would fancy Shade."
She looks away, clearly not certain what to do with that response. "I see." Beauty? No one as ever seen me as beautiful before, nor shown any interest in me outside of being a fellow solider in arms. What does one do when both are interested? She quiet a moment then adds, "Perhaps, if we both survive this siege we should become better acquainted."
Adran's face lights up. "I would very much like that Shade."
Her strong soldier's expression lightens into a pretty smile. "I look forward to it." She exits. Perhaps being a guardian truly won't be so bad afterall.

Donovan Blackmoore (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

After a full night of drinking and being puked on Donovan knew he stank. He slept outside near the wall for the night. A sharp clink and then a crushing sound woke him. Groaning he put an arm over his eyes. The shirt smelled like stale alcohol sweat. “Eaugh…” Dropping the arm he frowned and tried to turn his head. It felt like his entire neck was filled with gunny sacks of cord. He could barely turn his head and the drunk headache was settling into the skull.

The headache stretched into the right side of his jaw. Reaching up with a hand he winced when he brushed across a welt. Donovan only faintly remembered Shade trying to head butt him. Pushing himself up into a sitting position he almost whimpered as his back cracked the whole way. Awkwardly he managed to get to his feet though he couldn’t bend his back much more than a few degrees. Squinting his eyes he toddled toward the stream to wash his shirt and rinse the nasty alcohol smell of his body. No need to wash the legs or wade into the water. All he needed was to rinse his arms and chest.

Before starting the wash he got a drink and splashed his face. It was cold and momentarily the water made the headache worse. Donovan finished washing and then took himself back to his favorite barrel to sit on.

No matter how he adjusted it was uncomfortable. A little kid ran past and slapped him in the back with a switch. Normally he would have given chase to humor the kids and keep them away, but he couldn’t even turn his head to see which one of them it was. Another sting went across his back. Growling, Donovan pushed himself off the barrel and reached behind himself for his soaking shirt that he sat on. Wasn’t a real good idea. He was still a bit hazy this morning. Now the back of his pants were wet too. The little switch hit again and Donovan turned his whole body instead of his neck. “Get out of here you little piss ant, before I wallop you.”

With a loud groan he started walking toward the doctor’s hut. It was with great reluctance. Still he needed something to rub on his back to help get rid of the stiffness. Adran would probably have some kind of nasty smell rub. Donovan had one that he could use just he couldn’t get it on his back.

Just as he was arriving Shade was leaving the hut with that dazed smile on her face. She was entirely too pleased looking for the morning after getting drunk. “Don’t break your neck trying to keep an eye on Adran.” The way she was craning her neck to look over her shoulder almost made his neck feel worse. Slinging the wet shirt over his shoulder he walked the rest of the way up the steps to Adran's door. Donovan couldn't even lift his head to look at the man. "Well I had a terrible time this morning. How about you?"

He'd had a silly grin on his face since Shade had left. That smile she had gave him was so dazzling it had literally left him speechless. He was about to remove his gloves when a very grumpy Donovan came marching into the infirmary. "I'm sorry to hear that Donovan. Despite the headache I currently have, my morning has been rather superb."

He could tell the shorter man wasn't feeling well at all, the paleness in his face was a clear enough sign. As he went over to one of his many cabinets he spoke again. "To be fair, from what Shade told me about your escapades after Isolde and I left, you probably deserved it." He chuckled good naturedly, he was in far to good a mood to let this grump ruin it. "So what did you want me to take care of?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back