I visited Versailles last week, and beyond how beautiful (and emotionally complicated) the chateau and the gardens were, I was struck by how fun it would be to do a RP set there (or set in a Versailles-inspired palace so we don't have to worry about historical accuracy). If you've ever seen the show Versailles, you probably already have an idea of how much drama can happen in the setting, and now, having been there myself, I'd like to write one, I suppose!

I'm leaving this open to either be a group RP or a 1x1 story, because I think either would work depending on the preference. I would prefer to do a story set closer to Louis XIV "Sun King" times rather than closer to the French revolution, because personally I think it'd be more exciting to do, but that's my own personal opinion. Anyway, like I said, I'm fully okay with (and might actually prefer) to have it be inspired by the chateau and not have it actually be the real palace and dealing with real history, just so we have more space to play around, so we don't need to have, you know, actual historical figures.

I don't have a specific plot in mind, although I do have a blind character, and I'm sort of kicking around the idea of using ideas from a century prior, because it could be cool if she's like--an advisor to the King (or Queen) the way Nostradamus advised Catherine de Medici, and maybe her husband is, like, the chief of police at the Palace (if you've ever seen the TV show about Versailles--think Fabien vibes) and there could be drama surrounding that. Note: I'm okay with either no magic at all or magical realism, but I want all of the characters to be human, and I don't want, like, full-on wizards scrambling around. I want it to lean more towards realism than towards fantasy. The chateau being haunted is absolutely allowed, though.

But, honestly, if it's a group RP, my vision is a multi-thread rp where we have a great variety of different plots occurring with different levels of angst, so like, some people would be in one room having a romance--or an illicit affair--and others would be hatching plots and making power plays. If it's 1x1, we'd need a bit more plotting, but that's totally cool, I'm prepared to do that! The trickiest thing, in my opinion, would be giving someone the power to be the King or Queen, which, honestly, is not something I myself have an interest in playing. I really personally vibe with playing multiple characters. I do like the vibe of a blind advisor, I like my sort of dungeon-dwelling secret spy man (because when I say captain of the police, I don't mean, like, "blue uniform and whistle" police, I mean, like, "lurking in the shadows, protecting the king"), I also have a musician character, and, because I'm currently in an experimental archaeology field school and spent all of my day recreating a Medieval cooking vessel---I'm vibing with the idea of creating a potter character, who, like, full on makes plates, pots, bowls, and things (side note: if anyone is interested in a 1x1 rp involving a potter, I'm down).

My only rules are thus:
1.) Please be 18+. I've bent this rule a few times, but it makes me feel uncomfortable, because I'm an adult, and talking with minors, online, makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, especially because I like to form OOC bonds
2.) No smut! If it's a group RP, and you and another player want to have a Rated X scene, please take it to a private page and not put it in the main group.
3.) Be respectful. Characters and writers of all races, sexualities, and genders are welcome in the RP. We place no judgements. Likewise, although this is a historical/history inspired RP, please DO NOT make your character racist/sexist/transphobic/homophobic/ableist/etc. I don't care if it's "accurate to the time," I don't abide by it. I don't want anyone to use this RP as an excuse to spread toxic and hateful beliefs. That said, I am okay if characters who are from a marginalized community express difficulties they've had being part of those communities, because I don't want to foster an enviornment which pretends as though those issues do not exist. I simply do not want bigoted characters to be in the RP.
4.) Allow other players to write multiple characters, but understand you are not obligated to do so yourself.

About me:
1.) Like I said earlier, I'm currently doing a field school, which means I cannot commit to replying multiple times a day, but I think most days I should be able to write at least one response
2.) I'm not really one for writing romance with another player. I can do so theoretically, so long as it is FxF, but it's not something I have experience with, and generally prefer to remain platonic

So... I think that's about it! Okidoke! I hope someone is interested in this, I think it'd be fun. I guess just DM me or fill the comments with your own ideas and we can figure out the next steps!

Back