Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Westeria City: Azure Park

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Akita and Terrus

It was the first time in her life that Serenity Gray had stepped foot onto such a beautiful platform of land. As she arrived in the domed structure of the area, she glanced around, her awkward eyes scanning around the area to properly memorize it. She drew in a deep breath and exhaled slowly, a sigh forming at the end of it as a groan followed. "Some new stomping grounds," she huffed out under her breath with a semi-snarky tone. If sarcasm was her middle name, she'd own it, since that was her preferred method of verbal contact. However, at times, she did tend to run towards the humor-serious side. She was a one of a kind type of slinger, a gun slinger at that, and she wanted to be the only one the townspeople of this place would run to when they needed some real justice to take place. It was her calling.

Serenity stepped up onto a raised platform that lead to a long walkway that seemed to wrap around the entire area. It was an interesting place indeed, so perhaps it would be a great area to rebuild herself and give herself a new reputation for what she actually wanted to do. She approached a bench around a nearby garden area and sat down, basking in the open beauty that this place seemed to be choced with. The gunslinger glanced around, people watching like it was her day job, observing the patrons that passed by her.

At least it wasn't like the other areas she had visited, where everyone was always in a hurry. In this place, this new "Azure Park", the atmosphere felt mostly calm. Maybe that wasn't exactly a good thing...but where there's calm, there's a suspicious silence that followed after, and then that's when the real trouble would start. If it weren't for her ex-counterpart practically driving her out of the previous area she had pretty much owned, she wouldn't have to reinvent herself. But alas, here she was. Where was that Zen Chaos, anyways?

____

Zen gave a sigh. Not a stressed sigh, not one of anger or depression or anything serious to weigh him down. Just...a sigh of relief. A chance to take some time off from wandering around. Looking around the domed area with a raised eyebrow. His hat hiding most of his upper facial features. The last place he was at his infamous counterpart and ex lover drove him out. Hopefully this place would be a lot more...calm.

Unfortunately for them both, they tend to attract the attention of many...darker...if not evil, enemies. Their own arguments be damned as they keep getting interrupted by different people. All he would like to do, for more than maybe 5 minutes is take a breather without having to be yelled at, shot at, or attempted to be stabbed with or blasted by people. Is it so much to ask for some calm, peaceful, quiet time to himself?

As he walked around the park he let out a long groan as his eyes eventually spotted his counterpart. "fuck" He thought to himself. Quickly turning around in an attempt to not be seen. Unfortunately for him his appearance is pretty....unique....in this day and age. Not many people dressed like he did, so he stood out quite well. But maybe she wouldn't notice him.

____

It was just like any other time the vexed vigilante stumbled upon a new area. Her focus was scattered, and her eyes were darting from place to place, attempting to scope out the area so that she could get a better idea what it was all about. A low hum emanated from deep in her throat as she sat patiently, eyeing the patrons and feasting her gaze on the little gardens that sat about. She let out a small sigh and turned her head to the right as something caught her eye. Something inside of her had triggered a warning and instantly, she felt her heart race. Her gaze locked on one individual in particular, and it was almost like her mind was creating illusions to trick her.

It was absolutely impossible that with her attempt to find adventure and solitude in a new place, that she would once again, be accompanied by a nightmare from her past. She drew in a deep breath and then let it out gingerly, her mind counting backwards from five as she settled herself. As she continued to stare, she repositioned herself on the bench so that she would look more relaxed and uncaring of the world around her. He was always around her, some how, even when he wasn't physically present. Something inside her always kept a little piece of him, and it was a wonder how she ever completed any jobs. And here it was happening again - distracting her from finding work and giving her a purpose in a place where she could reinvent herself. What was he even doing here?

She shook her head at the feeling and attempted to relax a little more, her heart rate dropping some as the adrenaline inside her dimmed down. 'It's probably not even him,' she thought. It wasn't everyday that she ran into a complete stranger that stood out in a crowd as much as he did, but she did have to hand it to him for putting in the effort to at least try to blend in. They were mostly normal people just looking to serve their purpose and passion in life, but something always seemed to get in the way of their quarrel. Serenity couldn't remember the time when she hadn't missed him. It was becoming more and more frequent that her heart yearned for him, and with every strong feeling she had towards him, she swore she'd shoot herself in the foot.

At the moment, she watched him curiously as she chew on the inside of her mouth. She scoffed at his attempt to turn around after realizing that she was in his presence. "Way to ignore someone, Zen." She yelled across the way, and allowed a small grin to form across her thin lips. Her grin grew some more as she flicked her tongue against her teeth in a teasing manner. "Can't hide forever. Not when you look like that." Her words were plain, boring, and very monotone, but she made sure she added just enough bite to sting.

____

Zen flinched at the words, slowly turning around."Yeah well..with a mug like yours people gotta try." he stuck out his tongue."What are you doing here?" He asked curiously, looking from her, to moving his eyes to look around the area in case things around him were about to change. It was always hard to tell when someone might try to attack them. So he remained on guard 99% of the time just in case. His hands able to quickly grab his gun and fire at anything that tries to attack. Although he'd prefer not to he if could.

His eyes wandered back to her, a smirk on his face as he watched Serenity for just a bit."I'm surprised you're here of all places. I thought you used to like the exciting hustle and bustle of the criminal underworld." He exclaimed to the woman. Moving closer to her so they didn't have to yell at each other and drag other people into the conversation.

____

Serenity let out a soft sigh of amusement, followed by a light chuckle at his words. "A mug like mine?" she commented, and then grunted at the lewd comment. "You're awefully rude, aren't you?" She lifted a hand to her mouth and rested a couple fingers against her lips as she studied him for a moment before continuing on with her response. It was interesting that he asked her what she was doing here, considering she was wondering the same thing about him. How did he even get here, and how does he always manage to find her? It's almost as if they shared a brain, with the places they wound up in together. Her lips pursed some and she tapped her index finger against her plush bottom lip, her nail creasing it a little more each time the tip hit the soft skin.

"What does it look like I'm doing here? I'm fighting crime." She said with a bold tone, her daunting personality breaking through her relaxed demeanor. "I usually find myself in the places that seem like they'd be farthest from you, but here we are again... in the same place... Weird, isn't it? It's almost like you're stalking me."

____

"I think we are stalking each other. Considering we always end up in the same place, at the same time." He gave a gentle sigh."Maybe its about time we put aside our differences and just work together?" He shook his head."Its been what...at least a century or more...hasn't it?" He asked curiously."I don't even remember how long its been...So long ago...my memory gets fuzzy going so far back." He gave a more world-weary sigh this time."I'm tired of fighting to be honest." Sitting down next to her without an invitation.

Taking off his hat, it was revealed he had short black hair, almost militaristic. His eyes a light, icy blue color. Almost a transparently white. A scar trailing from his jawline up to the edge of his lower lip on the right side of his face. A scar that....he happened to get from one of their previous fights. Serenity scoring a lucky shot with that one. Having dodged it wrong. It had faded over time, but it was still fairly noticable.

____

His words were something that, usually, she wouldn't take to heart, but it seemed this time he was making a little bit of sense. She drew in a deep breath and nearly scoffed at his accusation of them stalking each other and his following statement regarding they put aside their differences. This guy had to be out of his mind. Had he forgotten the reason this happened in the first place? In fact, maybe he had, because it seemed as though Serenity had forgotten, too. She shook the thought from her mind and turned her attention to him, her eyes narrowing as she moved her legs for him to sit down. "You're tired of fighting? That's a joke, right?" She asked with a soft tone, her emotions pouring from her heart and causing her chest to ache, but she refused to let them come forward in an expression.

She pressed her lips together as she admired his handsome physique. He was a well built man that she really felt safe with once upon a time. Even now, she could still feel his strong arms around her, cuddling her close to his chest. She tilted her head a bit, studying him for a moment. Her eyes traced along his strong jaw line, dipping and appreciated each and every portion of his face. Her gaze traveled from his clean-cut hair, to his ice blue eyes, and then to the semi-prominent scar that she had given him a long while back. A tiny smirk formed across her lips as she stared at it, her mind entering a state of pure bliss as she vaguely recalled the event that landed that scar on him. In a way, she almost felt bad for him, but she would never let him know that... at least not yet.

"I don't know if I could ever work with you again, Zen." It was a truthful statement, but it hurt to say in such a serious tone that was coated with all sorts of strange emotion. She knew that entering a deep conversation with him was a trap for heartache, but perhaps it was time to just let it all go and be one with him again. After all, she was still ridiculously in love with him.

____

"Why not?" he asked curiously. His words were more true now, than what they have ever been before. He was tired of the lies, tired of the fighting. Chaos maybe in his nature, as well as part of his name, but that doesn't mean he can't be peaceful as well. All he wants now a days is to just enjoy the time he has with the people he consider- ha...people...more like person....- he considers his closest friend. Of course, that would be the woman sitting next to him."Centuries of fighting, of seeing this world change. And all we do is squabble about our personal problems. For years its been this way, I'm ready to put my differences aside if you are."

"Besides, its crazy the amount of people we've put away together, because we've been interrupted time and time again. maybe we shouldn't fight, and just learn to work together like we did so long ago. We could make an epic team. We could pretend to fight each other to capture our targets. We may have different methods, but our goals have always been the same." He stated to her. Trying to make his case. He wasn't evil, dispite everything.

____

The tired deputy sighed softly as she listened to his words of endearment flow out of him almost as if he were reciting a poem. She loved it when he spoke, mainly because his voice was more than soothing, and sexy with every word he spoke. She blinked slowly at him as she waited for him to be done talking. It was understandable that at this point in their lives, he was ready to move on. They had been at it for so long that now, it just seemed childish and was mostly a waste of time. She did agree that he has a point that all they did was bitch and fight about their personal problems, but it was all for good reason. It was what made them the fighters they were. All that pent-up anger and energy just waiting to be released was why they made a great team in the first place. However, their passion for fighting would probably be stronger and the outcomes of the fights better if they did work together.

Serenity parted her lips some, studying his face for a moment longer. She lifted a hand to her hair and brushed it back with her fingers, twirling the tip of it a little as she let the strands fall gracefully from her hand. Her pursed lips showed her annoyance in his offer to move on, but the settled expression on her face showed that she at least understood his mention of it. She snorted as he finished his sentence, and shook her head as a small grin formed upon her lips.

"You've always had a way with words," she admitted with a soft, raspy voice. "It's hard to trust you." She almost felt guilty for saying it, but if he wanted honesty from her, then that was her honest feeling. It was a lot easier to be honest with someone when you hated them, but in the efforts to possibly rekindle something that was so perfect and wonderful hundreds of years ago was going to take a lot trust and some possible lying to get through the rough patches.

____

"Would you believe me if I told you that I'm being as honest as possible when I utter the words out of my mouth? That all the lies, and pain, that we put each other through...are tiring, and they keep me up at night. I haven't slept in days. My throat is dry, my eyes sting with each blink, because of all the turmoil we've had against each other. Its been nagging at me for a long time now. I'm not trying to hide anything behind my words, I'm speaking plainly, I want to end our fighting. I don't care if we're in a relationship or not, but at least stop our fights with each other. They've become...pointless...a routine...almost like clockwork. I want to sleep peacefully for once..." He pleaded lightly with her.

"I don't care if we need to patch things up, I'm being as honest as I can be." He looked right into where her eyes would be. Ignoring everything else for the moment, like the world around them had frozen in time while he reached up to remove her shades, so he could look into Serenity's eyes once more."Please?"

____

Serenity leaned forward on the bench and crossed one leg over the other as she listened to his soothing voice spouting off about his feelings and honesty. She felt like it was something she had heard from him before, but perhaps that was just an illusion her mind was trying to play out for her like the many hypothetical situations she had playing in her head. She took a long moment of silence before she finally responded to him. Her hand dropped from her hair down her lap, and she let out a soft huff of a sigh. "Don't you sound desperate," she snarked below her breath, but then straightened up some and lifted her shoulders from her hunched position.

"I mean, I get it, I really do. But you can't just come over here and expect me to throw my hands in the air like nothing happened over the past... how many hundreds of years?... and say 'Okay, Zen, you're right, let's start over and be best fucking friends'. You're out of your mind." Her heavy tone of disbelief was very prominent at this point, and her annoyance only seemed to be growing. All she wanted was to make up with him and to move on and get over the past, but that was a long project that they both had to work on, and she wasn't sure just how dedicated he really was.

She had recalled many past attempts to try this same thing, and none of those seemed to work, so why would it now? She loved him, and she wasn't even sure if he loved her back, so what would happen if she, once again, fell into his trap of 'take me back, let's move on'? She rolled her eyes at him when he shifted his position to gaze into her eyes, denying him the right to actually lock his gaze on hers. She couldn't look him in the eyes, and perhaps that was because she was too nervous, too afraid to face him in this moment. He was being honest, sure, but how much of that honesty was going to stick around? How much of his heart was he going to give her this time, and how much of his love would he actually allow her to have before he ripped it away again?

"You don't care if we need to patch things up, because you're used to being the one trying to patch things up, Zen. We've been over this before, and quite frankly, I'm really tired of this game." She snorted and cleared her throat before continuing. "I'm old, Zen. Very old, as are you, and if you're really serious about this, I don't know if we could be anything other than work partners... Maybe." When she spoke, her words were as genuine as she could make them. Her honesty was definitely coming through, but it was hard on her heart to even say these things to him. She preferred to just insult and lash out at him, because having these talks were the worst thing she'd ever want to put herself through. There was no doubt that the emotional pain was far worse than the physical pain he had inflicted on her in the past.

"One of us is bound to die at the other's hands... One way or another. Only thing we don't know is how." With that, she stood up and stared down at him for a moment before turning sharply on her heel to walk away from him.

____

He stood up, with a resounding sigh he followed her, hat in hand as he put it on her head."I'm not playing a game here. Not like before. I'm..." He sighed softly."I'm sorry I toyed with you. I played you for a fool and it was wrong. I know, i've made this speech a thousand different times and I'm making it again today. But look me in the eyes and tell me you don't want to patch things up? In a true, good natured way."

He watched her carefully."I'm really....I really do want to fix things. I'm not saying a romantic relationship, but, maybe as a friend? I gave up my status as an Agent years ago. I've walked away from that lifestyle. All I want is to enjoy life with the one person I know I can consider a lifelong partner. Romantic or not, I just want to live peacefully. I'm even willing to put down my weapons for this. Just...please...Serenity...." He said these last few lines a bit more softly.

Zen wasn't trying to coax her into anything bad, wearing his heart on his sleeve for...probably the first time since he was a kid."We're old, very old, like you said, and it gives one time to contemplate what that means. To have someone...to.../know/ someone who shares the same fate as I do...Even someone who started out as an enemy...We can work past any hardship. Because it means we won't be alone."

____

It was almost impossible to get away from him, what with her following her and the like. She let out a loud, frustrated huff and haulted, turning to face him as she crossed her arms about her chest. She pursed her lips at his comments, an unamused expression showing obvious on her face. All she wanted to do was put her hand in his face and walk away, but she couldn't bring herself to do that. Instead, she just stood there and listened to what he had to say, just like every other time he had persuaded her to walk back into his life.

She wasn't certain if this time was a genuine offer to have her back in his life, but his words were stifling at best. Part of her wished he'd just shut up and say what he wanted to say in one sentence, rather than taking a million breaths to do so. Damn, did he talk a lot. The tired deputy shook her head at his comments and turned her gaze towards the ground, her eyes circling a small indent in the concrete. She allowed his words to fill her mind with all sorts of ideas and memories and a lot of regret, but that didn't stop her from at least considering his points.

He was right about a couple things, especially the points he made regarding their mutual want to move on and just be happy with someone, even if it was the other person. Part of her also wanted to tell him that everything would be okay, like she did in the past, but it was different this time. Her feelings were different; her heart was different. All of the feelings she had swirling around inside her began to burn against her chest, as well as swell some tears in her eyes.

Figuring it wouldn't be worth it to allow him to see her weakening at the moment, she drew in a deep breath and sniffed hard to suck up the start of her sad emotions. She lifted her head once more to stare into his eyes, staying silent for a long moment as she thought of what she could say to him that would even slightly make sense, and perhaps help them find a resolution to their issues.

"If I let you in, you have to promise me that you won't ever fuck with me ever again. You don't have to quit your job, Zen. I'm not. You should... Probably step to the left...." She motioned with her hands as a bird from above caught her attention. "I need to clean my guns," she said blandly as she turned her attention down to her gun holsters sitting at her hips. She didn't know what else to say to him. All of what she had to say was spat out in a few sentences or less, and everything else was just a 'we'll see what happens' kind of situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Sokka, barney_fife, and Script

A small magical portal opened in the park amidst the chaos and three figures burst immediately out. A woman holding a glowing shield and staff ran forward as a shimmering arcane shielding formed around the three expanding outward, A man with a large bow drew an arrow from a quiver pointing it at the large nature Colossus taking the beast in and finally a dwarf in shimmering golden armor carrying a massive shield and a flaming hammer stood amidst the chaos.

"By the gods look at the chaos the end must be upon us!" The dwarf muttered.

"Who do we engage?" The man with the bow muttered.

"We should focus on helping the civilians, we can let others directly engage until we get a better sense of what is going on here." Sha Li said.

"Dem Aschen are shootin' at civilians! I say we let that big bugger keep on killen em while we keep it from killing the civilians."

"Agreed." Both said.

The Shield protecting Sha Li and the others shot out bolts of lighting striking vines and elementals that moved toward some of the freeing civilians while, Kynan grabbed those caught in the cross fire and drew them behind Sha Li's shielding to safety, Draven stood ready behind the shielding ready to intercept what ever came at the trio.

____

The Aschen forces in Azure Park didn't fare much better, already routed by the attacks of the impervious Lion and the strange olive skinned male, things only took a turn for the worse as the prefabricated platform was thrown up and away, tossing the men who were on it aside like ragdolls.

The thirty Storey collossus was the final straw though, with the Gravity lift torn asunder, what Aschen soldiers remained threw down their weapons and began to run towards the city, while a Marine Sergeant tried to call in for additional support, while he too was running through the park, ducking and weaving to avoid incoming magical bolts.

---

Aboard the Reverence, amid the cacophony of Activity, the AI was silently watching the events unfold, before she turned to the Admiral.

"Our deployment in Azure Park has been routed, the men have thrown down their weapons and have begun to scatter."

The Admiral scowled, and then smacked the console. "Gods damnit!" He called out.

"Glass the park and redeploy, i want no survivors down there! Nothing to challenge the next deployment."

The AI Nodded. "Affirmative, aligning energy Projectors."

----

As the surviving Aschen marines attempted to flee, it was clear a three way fight had quickly become a two way fight, some were unfortunate not to make it clear of the park, others fled into the streets, having abandoned their weapons. Some were holding up white flags, showing they had routed and surrendered.

However what happened next was a clear indicator of the Aschen Military's resolve. The Cloud cover obscured what would come next, a brilliant flash in the clouds, and then a mammoth column of energy fired down onto the park. The violet-red column of energy was blinding, and caused the ground to erupt as the soil was liquefied and anything caught in the massive hundred-meter wide beam was instantly vaporized or liquified as it was caught within trillions of degrees of oppressing heat.

Plant matter likely combusted within a mile of this attack, the sheer heat imposed people's shadows on the concrete, as the thermal shockwave vaporized people, and boiled flesh alike.

As the Column impacted the ground, it swept forward towards the colossal creature with agonizing speed and precision, aiming to catch it within the beam itself, and engulf it.

____

As the beam tore through the skies, it seemed that the colossus became aware of it before it had even struck. A threat to her realm. A threat to her domain. Her form flourished with power drawn from the anger of the earth, and as the column descended towards her gardens, she raised her hands skywards.

The beam didn't ever reach the ground. Instead, it struck a barrier of luminescent green power bursting in a radiant dome from the colossal woman's hands. She shrieked, an unearthly wail of agony that echoed for miles around, and pushed back.

The beam of violet-red was suddenly lit up with veins of green power that shot up it like vines moving at impossible speeds. They twined and spiralled around it, reaching up into the sky thousands of miles towards the source of the column. There, they struck. The veins of light tore over the weapon producing the beam, divine power coursing through it with a cacophany of cataclysmic explosions as the pure fury of the elements burst outwards from them.

The uncontained rage of a lesser goddess tore through the machinery like a storm with forces capable of rending it asunder like paper even as the last echoes of her shrieks were fading below.

---

Below the shield, the gathered civilians and remaining soldiers were spared the instant vaporisation that the beam's impact with the ground would have caused considering their proximity to the colossus.

The lion roared, jerking its main towards the exit of the park.

"I agree wholeheartedly," Trys remarked, extracting himself from the remnants of an Aschen gun placement. "Let's get the fuck out of here, people!"

There was little need for the crowd to be told twice. With the Aschen routed, they found themselves the only targets of the raging elementals and awakened plantlife. Many had already begun to scatter at the appearance of the apparent god, as terrified as the Aschen soldiers were.

The lion moved over to those Vanguard members that had arrived in the moments prior to the launch, nodding to them in recognition. Trys trailed behind it, deciding that sticking with his new feline powerhouse of a companion was a good plan if he wanted to get through this as alive as possible. His torso was already covered with burns from the Aschen weaponry, though they seemed to be regenerating.

"These your pals?" The olive-skinned, hulked-out youth queried. Towering at over eight feet in height, with two large fangs protruding up from his lower jaw, bulging muscles and bright yellow eyes, the greenskinned teen was something of an intimidating sight. "I think it's time to clear out," he went on, and indeed, most of the crowd was already beginning to clear the area.

The elementals and other creatures seemed disinterested in pursuing those that fled, permitting their retreat.

____

The three looked us as the Aschen attempted to glass the park.

"Oh you've got to be kidding me!" The dwarf muttered pausing a moment to survey the scene.

Kynan turned to those around them "RUN!" He shouted to the civilians, before turning back to the Dwarf and Sha'li. It was then he noticed the others heading toward them.

"Good to see you Ari!" Kynan shouted and returned the nod, before the three members began to make their retreat from the area.

as written by Script and Sokka

As the column of energy faded overhead, the titan of nature lowered her arms, seeming to breathe deeply and relax as the last of the citizens and soldiers fled from the boundaries of the park. Slowly, she descended to the ground in a seated position, planting her palms on the earth and closing her radiant eyes.

The elementals and awakened plantlife ceased their furious movement, and began to either go dormant, or wander the park passively, as all around the other foliage began to rapidly expand.

Within the next few hours, the trees and grass expanded to swallow the manmade pathways in the park, growing to unnatural sizes. The titan was obscured from view, descending into the canopy of the newly formed forest.

Meanwhile, on the outskirts of the park, the vanguard were amongst the last to leave the park, guiding the last stragglers of the civilians ahead of them. As they reached the streets, Ari tossed his mane, flecks of blood spraying from it. The ivory fur on his paws was stained red where he'd clawed through the soldiers' armour.

Rather than dispersing with the rest of the citizens, Trys hung behind with the vanguard. The teen's body had shrunk back down from its bulked up size, and now his hoodie and jeans hung in tatters from where his muscles and increased height had torn them. His shoes were somewhere in the park after having split upon his transformation.

He made to run a hand through his hair, but reconsidered upon noting how bloody it was. "Jeez," he whistled, "what the fuck happened there? Since when did some giant... dryad bitch live in the park?"

The ivory lion was surrounded briefly by shimmering light, obscuring it from view as its form shrunk and shifted, taking on a humanoid shape before the light faded to leave behind Ari's natural body. The blonde teen shook his head, "It's news to me too. Something happened just before she appeared, I felt it. Like my connection to Artemis suddenly got a lot stronger."

Trys gaped at him, before whistling a second time. "Nice," he remarked.

Ari gave him a questioning look.

"Uh... nothin', just kinda impressed with the whole shapeshifting thing. Pretty lights, I guess I'm easily impressed." He grinned, shrugging.

Ari raised an eyebrow with a small smirk before turning towards Kynan and the others. "So what now?" he asked, "Do you guys have a plan? I'd been trying to find the others I showed up here with, but then the Aschen showed up... They're all over the place."

____

Kynan looked at Ari and shook his head, "We only just got here. But it seems that the Aschen aren't holding back anywhere. We aren't too familiar with Westeria city."

"I say we take de fight to these Ashen's, they need to learn de consequences for killing civilians I would not be opposed to splitting there heads open for what they've done!" Draven said idly swinging his hammer while looking up at the battle above them.

Kynan shook his head at Draven, before looking back to Ari and Trys, "We should focus on protecting civilians, there's no way we are going to be able to find the others in this mess, any recommendations on which way to go?" He asked.

____

"I'm with the dwarf," Trys noted, "For what it's worth."

Ari shot him a glance, "If you want to help, you can, but Kynan's right, we're here to save lives more than seek and destroy."

Trys shrugged his shoulders, "Ehh... sure. Though I'm pretty sure the plan's gonna involve killing Aschen either way."

True as that may have been, Ari thought, he didn't have to relish in it so much. He turned his attention back to the other Vanguard members. "Sarael was at the NPA headquarters last I knew, and Aiedai was near Hagan Avenue on Main Street. I say we move in one of those directions and help anyone we find along the way."

____

Kynan nodded, "That sounds like a good plan, we should head over there, which one is closer?" Kynan asked.

Meanwhile Sha li's Eyes were fixed on the sky as she watched the Massive Reverence begin to fall toward the Heights. She froze, in that moment she felt utterly helpless. She pointed at the ship but did not utter a word there was nothing the group could do. She knew that.

____

Ari followed Sha Li's gaze up, and his own eyes widened, jaw dropping. "Oh gods," he breathed. For a moment he too was frozen, before he abruptly looked down.

"Get as many people as you can underground, into the subway stations. It might not help but it's better than being on the surface," he said, face setting with determination as he turned back towards the park.

"Wait, where are you going?" Trys called after him as he broke into a run.

"To get help!" Ari didn't look back, shifting mid-sprint with a flash of light into an ivory fox that shot away at impossible speeds, straight towards the heart of the park.

Trys gaped after him. "He's gonna die," he murmured, before grimacing and turning away. "You guys got any more of them portals?" he asked. "That's probably better than underground."

____

Ari dashed through the jungle that Azure Park had swiftly become, bounding past the rapidly fading remnants of pathways and across the surface of the lake. Elementals and awakened plantlife rose to meet him as he ran, but he slipped through their grasp at every stage, diving past swung rock fists and snares of vines with apparent ease.

Time wasn't on his side as he reached the core of the park. There, he found what he had been hoping for.

A single figure stood at the centre of a small clearing, green-skinned and with hair of leaves and vines. Vines stretched from her arms and into the ground of the park, pulsing green energy shooting down them and into the ground, fuelling the plants' growth.

Her eyes snapped up as Ari entered the clearing, looking down at his form with anger. "Who dares interrupt my craft?"

Ari rose from the ground, smoothly shifting back to his human shape. "Please, listen to me... your goddess-ness. Look up," he pleaded, "A ship is falling, and it's going to obliterate everything - you included!."

The woman laughed, her voice reverberating unnaturally around the clearing. "You underestimate me, child of Artemis."

"It's a really big ship," Ari retorted hurriedly, "Millions of people are going to die. The explosion will wipe out half the city, and everything in it!" Ari shook his head, "You have to do something."

The woman looked up, her eyes glowing green as she extended her senses towards the sky. She frowned at what she saw. "Perhaps we can come to a deal."

"Anything! Just quickly, please!"

She smiled. "Your people will leave this garden in peace. You will not attempt to reclaim it. It will be recognised as my domain, and mine alone. Those who venture within will die if they do not pay the proper respect, and no retribution will be sought."

Ari knew he didn't have the authority to grant that, but at the moment he was willing to say anything to get this being's help. "I'll make it happen. I promise."

She nodded her head. "I hear your words, child of Artemis. They will not be forgotten."

Wordlessly she stepped forwards, and once more she began to grow in size. She rose out from the treeline, becoming visible to those outside the park rapidly as she raised her arms skywards. As she did so, the earth began to rumble across the entirety of Azure Heights.

A wave of light burst outwards from her form, washing over the city as the ground burst in dozens of locations across the city. Concrete gave way to life as massive tree-trunks exploded upwards, thicker than buildings and reaching towards the sky as though Valore itself were reaching upwards towards the descending ship. They pulsed with the green light of the colossus that had called them, beautifully radiant.

____

Kynan and Dravin nodded as they took off already running and hearing people in the streets underground. Sha Li paused, she wasn't sure why but something was nagging at her, drawing her to the park and toward the colossus. She ran forward through the forest dodging vines, elemental and growing tree's. "I have to get to that colossus..." She muttered "I have to understand what this thing is ..." Maybe it was nothing but this magic felt almost familiar it reminded her of something distant like a distant memory.

____

As Sha Li entered the park, she would be met with the same resistance as Ari had eluded. Awakened plantlife, from walking trees to shambling mounds of vines, accompanied by elementals of all kinds and even the local wildlife moved to defend their goddess' domain. They sought not to kill unless attacked, but rather to drive her away.

In the centre of the park, the titan's focus remained on the sky. Ari stood at her feet, gaping wordlessly up at the immense display of power radiating from her form.

as written by Script and Sokka

Some time later...

The guardians of the forest that was once Azure Park did not impede Ari as he darted towards its borders, once more in the form of the ivory fox. He moved at an incredible pace, a blur of white fur passing between the trees, until he burst out into the small stretch of grass between the treeline and the street.

There, white light obscured his fox form for a moment and he rose once more onto two feet as his normal self. The rain had stopped, he noted as he gazed up at the sky... that of it which he could see through the thick canopy of the massive trees that now covered much of Azure Heights. He was going to have to explain that to someone, he realised with a grimace.

Canopy or no canopy, there should have been more sunlight piercing through to illuminate the shadowed city streets. Instead there was only swirling energy from the portal that lay between them and the atmosphere.

"Gods..." he murmured, "It's just one thing after another today."

Taking his bow from his back, he drew forth an arrow of light and aimed it toward the sky. He released it, sending it shooting up near to the treeline before exploding in a burst of bright light. Hopefully that would suffice to summon the others to him.

'Ari? I'm assuming that was you. I'm on my way, are you alright?'

Thank the gods for Sarael's communication magic. 'It was, Sarael. Thank you. Have you seen the portal thing? That doesn't look good.'

'I have. I've managed to make contact with Elante. He's going to call in support from Celestia to help us try and subdue it. Your assistance in reaching sufficient heights would be appreciated.'

'Of course. I'll wait here for you.'

Ari felt the spell connecting him to Sarael fade, and he lowered his eyes. Only then did he spot the other youth from before crossing the street towards him with a wave. He frowned.

"Yo! Vanguard lion guy. That was amazing! The trees, and the light show..." Trys began with a grin.

"Oh, that wasn't me," Ari noted, gesturing over his shoulder, "It was her."

"Her?"

Ari blinked. "The ... giant, from before."

"You talked to her?" Trys whistled, "What even is she?"

"I honestly don't know. A goddess, maybe. Or an elemental..." Ari shrugged, shaking his head. "It doesn't matter."

"This... forest is sticking around then. And the giant trees?" Trys turned his eyes up towards the canopy, frowning.

"I think so. She's claimed this area as hers... and I may have promised her I'd make sure she could keep it." Not his best plan, but at least he'd got her to help. Now he just had to figure out how he was going to persuade the local government to hand over ownership of the entire park to her, not to mention leave the giant trees alone.

"Uh oh," Trys snickered, "Well, it could be worse. We could all be dead! Did you hear? They declared exterminatus and everything. It was very exciting, in a 'well, fuck' sort of way."

Ari's eyes widened, "The Aschen?"

"Who else?"

"Point. But gods... why did they stop?"

"No fucking idea," Trys shrugged, "I'm sure it'll be on the news before long."

Ari shook his head. He'd missed a lot while in that forest, apparently. He hadn't felt like he'd been gone for long. But he supposed that a lot could happen in the space of a conversation during a planetary assault. He turned his thoughts back to the present, when something occurred to him. "Sorry, did you tell me your name earlier?"

"I did, as it happens. But, the world was ending and we were fighting for our lives, so I forgive you for forgetting." Trys smirked, "It's Trys. And you're Ari, unless I'm mistaken."

Ari let out a heavy breath and smiled. This stranger was certainly doing well at maintaining a positive outlook. "Well, good to meet you, Trys." He paused. "And you're right, I'm Ari... how did you..?"

"Heard one of your Vanguard buddies mention it," Trys explained. "Speaking of, what happened to the girl that followed you?"

"Girl that followed me?" Ari blinked in confusion.

"She went after you into the forest just as we were clearing out to try and get people underground - which went terribly, by the way. It was like herding cats. Terrified cats at the end of the world. Shelly? Something like that."

"Sha Li? Why did she..?" Ari turned to look back at the forest. He hoped she was alright. Those elementals had proven to be vicious.

____

Kynan approached Ari and Trys flanked by the dwarf from earlier.

"By my beard we've survived!" The dwarf muttered.

"Well that was interesting....." Kynan muttered. "Where's Sha L-" He started to ask before stopping short. "Geeze Li! What the hell happened to you!"

From forest emerged Sha Li, looking slightly beat up, brused and covered with minor scratches. She limped toward the others. "I should not have gone there...." She muttered as she reached the others.

____

"I could've told you that," Trys remarked with a raised eyebrow, "Suddenly appearing forest, filled with angry magical monsters? Definitely a 'should not go there' zone." His eyes drifted across to Ari, "Unless you're animal boy, I guess."

"I am not 'animal boy'," Ari retorted, "I'm ..." He hesitated. Saying he was 'a demigod' sounded a little like tooting his own horn. Not technically inaccurate, but it held a lot of connotations...

"Beast dude? Fauna guy? Creature kid?"

"Stop it! I'm not a cheesy cartoon hero," Ari couldn't help but snort with laughter, before pausing to consider. "Okay, maybe I'm a little bit of a cheesy cartoon hero. But I don't have a cheesy cartoon hero name."

Trys was about to reply again when he was interrupted by a call from overhead. Their eyes turned upwards to spy a figure in blue-and-gold robes descending from the sky, black hair flowing elegantly in the wind. Sarael dropped lightly onto the ground, flashing a brief half-smile.

"Glad to see you're alright," he said, "Are you ready to go?"

Ari nodded, whilst Trys raised an eyebrow. "Where's next?"

"Up there," Ari pointed at the portal in the sky, just about visible through the treeline. "That thing keeps getting bigger."

"And you're gonna stop that how?" Trys asked.

"Normally it would be a relatively simple matter of stabilising the planar matrices and threading the tear closed with a careful application of astral weaving, but considering the instability of the region and the size of the rift, it's likely that a full reversal won't be possible. What we can do is-"

"Sarael? I think you've lost him," Ari noted with a smirk at Trys's blank expression. "We don't have time for a lecture, I don't think."

Glowing light surrounded him once more, and this time he grew in size, elongating to form into a beautiful winged white horse. Sarael nodded, and dexterously swung himself onto Ari's back. The elven sorcerer turned to the others, "The rest of you should move towards Hagan Avenue and meet with the Terran armed forces on the perimeter. Some sort of abomination has manifested there, and they'll need our help containing it."

Without further ado, Ari broke into a trot, quickly picking up speed and beating his wings fiercely to launch himself into the air, soaring up towards the portal.

Trys stared after the pair, blinking before turning to the other Vanguard members.

"I don't suppose any of you have his number, do you..?" he asked with a lopsided grin.

____

"No, but I know where he lives!" The dwarf said with a cackle.

"Seems like it's off to Hagan Avenue then!" Sha Li said as she popped the cork on a bottle of potion an took few swigs.

as written by Tiko and Script

1 week later...

When Shin'ichi woke, he couldn't at first move. He was immobilized beneath a canopy of trees, filled with the lyrical sounds of birds and insects. Where was he?

As he blinked his eyes open, he found himself slumped against his life-long companion, Tamotsu, and entwined in tendrils of ivy and plant growth that had seemingly overtaken the pair as they slumbered. Small roots had sprouted from the foliage, curling and anchoring themselves in the scales of Tamotsu's hide, and in the hair along Shin'ichi's skin. It wasn't an unpleasant sensation though, but rather a gentle and soft one, like the light brush of feathers against his body as he began to disentangle himself from the green plant growth.

He had shed the hospital gown somewhere, though he could not recollect where, and he had nothing but the thick growth of plants blanketing his lower half to provide a modicum of modesty as he brushed the vines from his chest.

The burn scars remained, stark and mottled against his skin, but the fresh abrasions and scrapes upon his hands had healed to faint scars. He felt rested, refreshed, and rejuvenated. Newfound energy and revitalization didn't brush aside months in a hospital bed though, and his muscle tone remained withered. He scarcely had the strength to sit up, and finally he just rested there a time with his eyes closed as he listened to the sound of Tamotsu breathing behind him.

Tamotsu was alive.

That relization brought a sense of peace to him that swept aside all worry or concern as to his current location.

____

"You have awakened."

The voice that broke the silence was male, deep and had what could only be described as a slightly creaky quality to it. "I was uncertain whether you would."

Its source was perched upon a rock, leaning against a large tree. His skin was dark brown and bark-like, marked with lines of luminous amber scattered semi-symmetrically across his body. Foliage dotted his body, notably forming a crown of golden leaves that resembled hair atop his head. Though humanoid, the occasional small branch jutted out from his arms and legs at seemingly random angles. His face resembled that of a human, complete with a pair of glowing amber eyes.

____

The tree man speaking to him in Losenyu was a curious thing, one of which only further confused the disoriented Losenyu prince. He didn't recognize his surroundings, nor the man who spoke to him.

Last he could recall was coming to in the rain, and there was streaks of fire through the sky. His memories of those waking hours were fragmented and disorienting at best though and he quieted his thoughts back to the here and now as best as able.

"What happened? Where am I? Is this Losenji?"

The string of questions continued as his fingers brushed against the mottled flesh of his chest.

"This, when did I get this?"

The scar was extensive, and a small miracle that the man had survived whatever had inflicted it. No recollection of his arrival to Westeria City remained within his memories though.

____

"You are in Azura's domain. It lies within what you know as Westeria City. You crawled here in search of your friend. I do not know the origins of your scar."

The man watched Shin'ichi with utter neutrality, no expression crossing his features. They seemed scarcely more mobile than the bark they resembled, except for when he spoke. Around the area, other creatures were gathering. Some were no more than motes of light resembling flames or sparks, minor elementals drawn by the presences gathered there. Others bore resemblance to animals or even something approaching humanoids, but none possessed the distinct appearance of the man who was speaking.

____

"My friend..."

Shin'ichi's eyes moved to Tamotsu, and across the scar that now blazed across the dragon's scaly hide. He remembered the flash of green that had cut across the sky in his waking moments. The flash of green that had felled his companion.

"You mended him?" he asked. "Thank you."

There was a weight of sincerity to Shin'ichi's words. Gratitude that could not properly be expressed at the salvation of his life-long friend.

"Thank you..." he murmured again.

____

"The process was symbiotic," the man stated. "My Lady requires information on this world. You and your friend possessed it. In order for that information to be extracted, you had to be kept alive."

He paused, as though considering that reasoning, though his expression didn't so much as flicker. "It is also the case that my Lady favours preservation over destruction. It was apparent that neither of you intended, nor had the capacity to harm this place. And so you were preserved. Perhaps one day, you will be able to repay the debt."

____

"I am a man of honor," Shin'ichi answered. "Should your Lady call, I will answer. She saved my life, and the life of Tamotsu..." his eyes felt heavy as he drew each word with careful precision. "That is a debt not forgotten..."

Why was it so hard to concentrate?

Each effort to speak was like wading through a thick fog. His own thoughts remained shrouded and muted from him as he tried to formulate coherent sentences. Something was wrong, but trying to understand was like trying to assemble a puzzle without all of the pieces. Swaths of his recent memories remained lost and fragmented.

Whatever ailed him had effected more than just his mind though. He hadn't the strength in him to rise, nor did his right arm respond as he tried to move it across to pull the roots and ivy free that still clung to his left arm.

"What is wrong with me?" Shin'ichi asked.

He pressed his left hand to his face, as if to physically offer support to his scattered thoughts.

____
"You have suffered damage to your mind," the man answered. "My Lady accelerated your body's natural healing, but there is little she can do for what you have already lost. Your muscles are weak from inactivity. You had been dormant for a long time before you awoke to bring yourself here. It will take time, and use, to restore them."

There was no sympathy to the words, only the fact of the matter, given with calm indifference. The man's mannerisms were almost robotic in their neutrality. "For the time being, you will stay here. There is still more we can learn from you, and you are not yet recovered. The city as you know it is much changed, and the streets beyond my Lady's domain are dangerous."

____

Shin'ichi couldn't help but feel the a sense of unease at the man's words. Weak from inactivity? Just how much time had passed? And what were the intentions of this man, and the Lady he spoke of. One sentence in particular managed to push its way through the fog that was rapidly growing thicker.

For the time being, you will stay here.

Were the man's words an offer, or a warning? Was he a guest, or a prisoner?

These questions muddled up his thoughts, but for the time being the man was right. He was in no condition to try and leave, and he hadn't anywhere dire to be even if he could. He had been looking to disappear when he had departed Losenji, and with Tamotsu at his side any lingering concerns weren't of an immediate concern.

For now he stopped fighting the exhaustion that was muddling his thoughts and simply nodded sluggishly.

as written by Tiko and Script

Six weeks later...

Shin'ichi was sweating profusely as he hobbled the last few steps to slump against Tamotsu's side. Under one arm was a makeshift crutch he had fashioned from a sturdy branch, and physically his muscle tone had improved greatly over the past weeks.

He patted his hand against Tamotsu's scaly hide with affection before wiping the sweat from his brow with his sleeve. The clothing was smudged with dirt and in need of a good washing, but the tree man hadn't quite understood the value of clothing when Shin'ichi had requested assistance in aquiring it. What he wore now was all he had been brought, and he had not seen the tree man in several weeks now.

Others had happened upon him in that time curious and watchful but none had responded to efforts to engage them in conversation. Spirits, dryads, peculiar looking animals, and elemental creatures were among the many that he frequently caught glimpses of, always watching, but never approaching or interacting.

Today the forest seemed particularly alive, and Shin'ichi caught sight of several eyes watching him from the bushes. He had long learned the folly of trying to approach his curious watchers though and he turned his attention back to his one constant companion.

"Getting there, eh old friend?" he asked the dragon.

His right arm hung as useless as ever, and his general mobility still suffered greatly but short walks had become a daily routine that spoke of his gradual recovery. Epileptic seizures and occasional short term memory loss still plagued him, but his mind grew sharper and clearer day by day.

____

"Your mobility is progressing well, Shin'ichi of Losenji." The deep, creaking voice that announced the arrival of the tree-man - who had seemed perplexed by the question when Shin'ichi had asked his name - came with as little warning as ever. Footfalls were easily lost in the constantly shifting sounds of the forest. "How fares your mind?"

As the man stepped fully into the clearing, the light fell on several deep indents in the bark of his chest resembling bullet-holes, that had not been there previously. They did not seem to be hindering him, although there was a faint glow emitting from within. A squirrel-like creature with a collar of flowers and luminescent green eyes was perched on his shoulder, occasionally darting across to his other side.

When he grew closer to Shin'ichi, the critter abandoned its post, skittering down his leg and fleeing into the undergrowth.

____

"Better," Shin'ichi said.

His eyes followed the curious critter's path into the forest. Certainly it wasn't his imagination that life within the forest seemed to be growing at an unusual rate.

"Thanks to you and your lady," he added.

He shifted enough to lower himself to the ground with some difficulty and leaned back against Tamotsu. He had pushed himself particularly hard with today's walk, and the occasional muscle spasms left his good arm quivering from the strain of holding his weight up with the crutch.

He lay the stick beside him. In its side were etched a series of Losenji characters, crudely carved.
"I would like very much to meet her, and to thank her myself," he added. "Soon I will be well enough to leave this place, and I have not yet met the Lady responsible for my life," he explained.

____

"An audience with my Lady is not an honour often granted," the tree man answered. "But you are in luck. I came here to inform you that she wishes to speak with you herself. When you are able to stand again, I will lead you to her."

His eyes drifted across to Tamotsu. "Tamotsu may accompany you, if he wishes."

____

"Tamotsu's accompaniment would prove most beneficial," Shin'ichi answered. "Thank you."

The mornings walk had left him thoroughly spent.

"Shall we?" he inquired with a look to Tamotsu.

In response, Tamotsu nuzzled him gently, ever the watchful guardian. The dragon had scarcely left Shin'ichi's side since the pair had been reunited, a fact that the young Losenji Prince was not ungrateful for.

"Help me up then, would you?" he asked.

He held a thick handful of Tamotsu's mane as the great serpent helped him gain his footing. He looked briefly to the staff, but it would be difficult to coordinate his next intentions with it in hand. He determined to leave it behind. Tamotsu would be his support.

He took a deep breath, and Tamotsu sensing Shin'ichi's intentions lowered himself to his stomach to make it easier for Shin'ichi to pull himself up with the aid of the dragon's foreleg.

Shin'ichi dared not sit up, and instead lay atop Tamotsu as he caught his breath. It would certainly not be with the poise and dignity that he used to ride upon Tamotsu, but it would certainly hasten their way through the forest.

The dragon craned its neck around to get a look at Shin'ichi who nodded breathlessly. With Shin'ichi's confirmation, Tamotsu cautiously rose back to his feet. The movement jostled Shin'ichi, but he held his grip on Tamotsu's mane and didn't lose his purchase.

____

The tree man waited silently whilst Shin'ichi found his purchase on Tamotsu's back. Only when the pair were ready did he turn, beckoning for them to follow as he stepped into the treeline. Beyond the clearing, the foliage rapidly became incredibly dense - vines, thorns and branches intertwining to hinder passage.

Before their guide, however, the forest parted, allowing him and Shin'ichi both to pass through unobstructed. To either side of their impromptu pathway, spirits and animals kept pace. Occasionally a group of sprites or pixies would flit by overhead, laughing and shedding sparkling light from their wings as they passed.

It wasn't clear how long they walked for. Time seemed almost irrelevant here, lost in the depths of this flourishing sanctuary. Eventually though, the trees began to thin slightly, and they emerged out into a sunlit grove. Flowers of every hue littered the ground on a bed of verdant grass, and a tranquil pool of water was nestled amidst a cluster of reeds and lilies to one side. Motes of light drifted lazily through the air, lending the grove an otherworldly beauty.

At the heart of the grove, resting upon a throne of petals and vines, was what could only be the Lady to which the treeman had referred. Her form was that of a slender and unnaturally beautiful young woman, her flawless skin as green as the foliage surrounding her. Her hair was woven with flowers and leaves that seemed more a part of her than decorations. Her body too was covered with foliage, and it was hard to clearly identify where she ended and the forest around her began.

By her throne, what appeared to be a vast seed pod rested, pulsing rhythmically like a heartbeat. Vines fed into it, trailing off through the undergrowth to unknown destinations, and a faint golden light shone from within. The Lady's hand ran along its side, feeding its light with her own.

She looked up at Shin'ichi's approach, her eyes solid gold and shimmering, and smiled.

____

It was with a sense of awe that Shin'ichi raised his gaze up to look upon the Lady. Words could not even begin to capture her luster and beauty that took his breath away. He loosened his grip upon Tamotsu's mane and slide down his side to the forest floor, but his legs gave out and he fell to his hands and knees.

He felt an ache of regret within him that he could not stand before her with all of his former dignity, freshly clothed and washed. Instead he managed only to pull himself to his knees regretting having left the walking stick behind as he knelt there, dirtied and unkempt with twigs and leaves poking out of his mess of a hair.

"Your beauty steals the very words from my breath," he told her, finally finding strength in his words where his body failed him. "Please forgive my... state. I have been told that it is to you I owe my life, and that of Tamotsu. I wished to thank you."

____

"You already have, Prince Shin'ichi," the Lady's voice, when she spoke, resonated through the clearing as though originating from all around, rather than from a single point. "From you I have learned of this strange place you call 'Westeria', and the land of Terra around it. Of humans, and the innumerable variations thereof that dwell here."

It was hard to read her tone when she spoke of the city and its inhabitants. It lay somewhere between distaste and curiosity; the tone of one undecided as to the merits of that about which they spoke. "I had heard whispers of your kind before, but only that. You are fascinating creatures, so changeable in your minds. Built the same, yet no two alike by the time you're grown."

The seed pod beside her pulsed with greater vigour, then, its entire structure shifting with a creaking of roots. The Lady turned to it with a smile. "He's nearly complete. I wanted you here to see him come to be. Your gift to me."

____

"Westeria?" Shin'ichi asked. "So this is near the city?"

He recollected his departure from Losenji will enough, but his arrival remained muddied. Just what had transpired?

There was some good news in her words though, or so he assumed. If he was near Westeria, it would not be difficult for him to forge ahead with his original plans to reach the city and get passage somewhere beyond the reach or discovery of the Taiyou.

The pulsing pod took hold of his immediate attention though. Completed? What did that mean. Was this the source of the influx in strange creatures he had been witnessing? Just where exactly was he? The Mistwood forest perhaps? It was in near proximity to Westeria City, and known for being inhabited by strange and wonderous creatures. Surely though he would have heard or read upon such a creature inhabiting the forest. He couldn't imagine there being no record of the Lady that was before him in all her splendor.

"He?" Shin'ichi asked.

____

"Near? We are within it," the Lady answered, gesturing around at the forest. "We stand at the heart of the place once known as Azure Park. The city is much changed since last you walked its streets, little Prince."

She waved her hand dismissively. "But that is a matter that can wait." She turned her attention back onto the seed pod rising smoothly from her throne as it pulsed a second time. "You have met my first child of this world already," her eyes moved across to the tree man that had escorted Shin'ichi here. "Without the knowledge that I have now of you humans, he was but an avatar... a construct, to carry out my will. He has little in the way of desires, or free will. I am no allmother, after all." She chuckled to some private joke before continuing. "But now, with your help..."

It was at that moment that the pod split. Light poured forth from the opening, obscuring the pod's contents as it opened and bathing the clearing in a golden glow. After a moment, the glow faded, to reveal a figure stepping unsteadily from within. The figure was that of a young man of slender build, his skin and hair a light spring green, decorated in places with faint patterns of darker colour. He had stepped forth fully clothed in robes reminiscent of a Losenyu scholar or scribe, coloured in aqua and cerulean tones. The young man blinked hazily in the light of the clearing, lifting his hands to rub at his eyes before looking around and taking in his surroundings.

"Welcome, my child, to the world," the Lady said, reaching out to brush his cheek with a smile.

"Thank you, my Lady," he replied, smiling back eagerly. "It's beautiful! Oh, I dreamed of this place, but my dreams pale in comparison to the reality!"

"Come, greet our guest as well. You have much to thank him for."

Green eyes turned onto Shin'ichi, and the young man's eyes lit up with recognition. "Oh, Prince Shin'ichi!" He bowed low in Losenyu style. "And Tamotsu, too. It's wonderful to meet you."

In Westeria City?

The thought had Shin'ichi's mind reeling. Just what had transpired beyond this forest? His questions would have to wait though as the Lady before him introduced the astounding birth of a fully grown individual from the peculiar pod.

"Your child? Thank me?" Shin'ichi inquired. "Forgive my lack of articulation, I fear I'm still unwell. I do not understand. What is this place? What is all of this?"

There was confusion in Shin'ichi's voice, but also a sense of wonderment. The situation was too alien and strange to him for him to fully grasp a sense of coherency to his thoughts, but something about it was equally intriguing and beautiful to him.

The site of the Lady before him was near enthralling as he looked upon her.

"This is Azure Forest, once Azure Park," the Lady answered. "A calamity struck the city, although my knowledge of it is scattered and unclear. Metal beasts in the sky rained fire upon it, and rent reality itself asunder. Though they were felled, the land is forever changed. The people have dwindled and fled from their homes, and alien things fill the streets. I myself am not of this place, although I claim it now as my domain. I would know more of it."

She turned then to the newborn, gesturing. "My child will remain with you until you are recovered enough to move freely, and provide you escort thence. I have gifted him as much knowledge as I was able, but he must yet experience your world to become truly accustomed to it. And through him, I too shall learn. You will aid him, and me, in this."

The youthful creation held his silence, but his broad, expectant smile remained, and he was bouncing ever so slightly on the balls of his feet in anticipation.

The Lady's words were an unexpected instruction, but Shin'ichi did not find himself stiffening as she uttered them. If anything he felt a welling of honor at her entrusting such a task upon him.

He rested a hand against Tamotsu's side to steady himself as he struggled to regain his footing. His leg muscles screamed in protest, but he endured so as to be able to stand tall while he spoke.

"I owe you a great debt," Shin'ichi replied. "I will aid you in this, as you have asked."

The lady smiled in approval, and nodded her head, whilst the boy clapped his hands together gleefully. "Oh, wonderful!" he exclaimed, hurrying over to Shin'ichi's side. He stumbled a bit on the bottom of his robe in the process, but managed to right himself before he fell. "Oh, goodness, I suppose I should make sure I can walk before I try to run." He laughed, rubbing at the back of his head with embarrassment, but didn't stop grinning.

"I'll accompany you back to your resting place, your highness. My lady says that with the forest's influence, you should be recovered enough to explore more easily within the next few days."

"Go now," the lady called to them both. "You have my gratitude, Prince Shin'ichi. Take care of my child, and he too shall take care of you. And be wary if you step beyond the heart of the forest. My domain is protected, but trespassers cross into it all the same. Many of them would do you harm, if they should chance across you."

Shin'ichi offered a humble bow to the lady before him before he, Tamotsu, and the strange boy departed.

---​

Three days had passed since his meeting with the Lady of the forest, and through his strange new companions seemingly inexhaustible curiosity, questions, and exploration, it dawned on Shin'ichi that he did know the boy's name. Did he even have a name? They had determined that today was the day they would venture beyond the forest into the city beyond, and he did not even know what to call the boy.

It was during one such moment of internal thought that Shin'ichi spoke.

"What should I call you?" Shin'ichi inquired from his place seated upon the earthy floor of the forest.

Tamotsu was nearby, sleeping soundly.

The boy looked across at Shin'ichi from where he had been sat with a few of the forest's critters, that had grown less timid around Shin'ichi since his meeting with the lady. His expression was briefly confused, and then he frowned. "Oh, I suppose I'm not sure. I don't have a name yet. I don't think it occurred to my Lady to give me one."

He smiled, shrugging. "Perhaps I will find one somewhere?"

Back