Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Westeria City: New Caprica

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Tiko and barney_fife

Night had claimed the shipyards of the New Caprica district of Westeria City, and the excited shouts that reached the docks outside of the warehouse were a pale comparison to the energy and atmosphere of the interior. The place was packed with the press of sweaty bodies all jostling for a spot closest to the crude fight ring where Adriaan was engaged in a brutal, and illegal, no-holds barred fight.

Adriaan's opponent raised an arm up to block a kick from the avorian monk, but Adriaan's leg slipped under, connecting with his opponents ribs. With his opponent dazed and with the wind knocked out of him, Adriaan stepped in and slammed his elbow into his face. Unrelenting he continued to push the offensive and drove a kick into the man's midsection that staggered him back.

The man gave a snarl and took a wide swing for the side of Adriaan's head. Raising his arm up, Adriaan caught his opponents blow against his forearm before thrusting his other hand forward in an open palmed strike for the man's sternum.

As his opponent was sent stumbling back once more, Adriaan finished him off with a solid roundhouse kick to the side of his head that sent him sprawling into the floor where he lay groaning.

Cheers and shouts went up all around as money began to exchange hands.

____

Everything in the fighting ring seemed to reach a fever pitch with the Avorian and the opponent fighting. But everything was ground to a screeching halt as police cars crept in and around the warehouse, and cops kicked in the door and began to storm the place.

There were shouts, chaos, guns pulled as officers swarmed the interior of the fight ring. Spectators and fighters alike were being pulled away and thrown to the ground.

Adriaan was no exception, grabbed by at least four officers, he would likely find his hands quickly ziptied behind his back as the Officers carried about their business.

Many of the officers in the room were Terran, enforcing Terran law, but these particular officers lacked the blemishes and the general attitude that Terran cops had.

These two men were unmistakable ethnic Aschen. One a tattoo'd Tauron male, and the other a Caprican, both of them regarded the Avorian with contempt as he was taken back to the patrol car.

Everything seemed to go by rather quickly, until the police car came to a stop, and the Tauron Officer opened the back door.

"So, you like to fight huh birdman?" He said, chuckling as the Caprican rounded the car, and pulled out his baton.

____

"Hey now fellas... I'm not looking for anymore trouble..." Adriaan said.

This didn't look at all promising, but he kept that jovial nature about him as he peered out at the Tauron Officer from inside the car.

"No hard feelings, eh?" he asked.

____

The Tauron officer gave a laugh, and then turned to his partner. "Quis non vult malum." He said in Anquietas, before the Caprican reached in and grabbed Adriaan.

"You fucking Terrans are all the same; filthy godsdamned mutants." He said, moving to yank Adriaan out of the car while the Tauron Officer moved to swing his baton across Adriaan's back.

"I thought this place would be different, I left the Empire to deal with filthy punks like you who don't know how to obey the gods damned law!"

____

Adriaan let out a sharp hiss of breath as the baton struck him across the lower back, taking him to his knees. With his arms restrained he had no means of defending himself from the blow.

The jovial look was gone from his face, and his legs tensed. As the officer raised the baton for another blow, he shoved himself up and into the the officer, shoulder first to slam him back into the side of the vehicle.

____

The Officer was knocked back from the blow, and the Caprican struck Adriaan several times in the back of the legs with his baton as he tried to fight. The Tauron had the wind knocked out of him, but that only made him all the more angry.

"You wanna fight cops? You dumb mother fucker!" And now both of them would start wailing on Adriaan with their batons, blow by blow, while the Caprican tried to pull Adriaan to the ground.

"Assaulting a police officer!? You're all sorts of stupid birdman!"

"Take your fucking medicine mutant!" They shouted, while they continued to try and wail on him with their batons, likely with bone crushing force.

The more Adriaan fought back, the more intense the beating became, Batons turning to fists and kicks, until the Tauron Officer finally drew his pistol and held it to Adriaan's head.

"You wanna die motherfucker!?" He said, pressing the pistol into his head. "One bullet and I plant a gun on you, no one's going to save your mutant ass."

____

Adriaan let out a gargled cough as he spat a gob of bloody spit out onto the pavement before he felt the pistol press to the side of his head. He tried to get one knee under himself to get back to his feet, but there was an officer there to throw him back to the ground again, and this time he didn't rise as he lay there on his side.

His body was wracked with pain, and his face bloodied. His vision swam as he stared at the feet of one of the officers, only vaguely aware of the cold press of the gun to his head before he lost consciousness.

____

The Officers scoffed, and then they slowly hefted him back into the patrol car. "Take him to the hospital, He was resisting arrest." They both agreed on a cover story to file in their reports, and the whole thing was agreed upon as to having never happened.

Adriaan would be taken to the hospital, where he would be kept under lock and key until charges could be filed. Of course, word of his assault was likely to get out, and spread through the city like wildfire.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Tiko and barney_fife

When Adriaan woke, one eye was swollen shut so thoroughly that he couldn't see out of it, and his vision in the other was blurry. He blinked a few times, aware of a distant pain that was slowly making itself known through the haze of his grogginess. He had suffered numerous bone fractures from the beating, and his jaw was swollen and taped in place to keep him from moving it until surgery could repair the jaw fracture. One wing was tightly bound as well to immobilize it and to prevent further damage from the numerous fractures it had sustained until he was more stable.

He tried to raise an arm to his face to shield his eye from the light overhead that was blurring his vision, but the movement was drawn short as he realized he had been physically restrained to the hospital bed.

He lay his arm back down and his eye blinked closed a few times as he felt sleep retaking him. The IV in his arm was keeping him heavily sedated, but he could hear someone calling his name as the doctor tried to rouse him for the police to question him about last nights incident.

He tried to answer the voice, but the pain in his jaw exploded to life and he groaned.

"He won't be able to talk, but you can ask him some questions. Just make it quick," a doctor was saying to the officers in the room.

Fortunately for the officers responsible for the assault, Adriaan had been arrested for street fighting and they had claimed many of his more serious injuries a result of his fights that night. The injuries inflicted by their batons had been explained as a necessary retaliation to him attempting to assault them after his arrest.

Also working in the officers favor was the fact that he was an avorian, and an illegal from Volaria from the look of it. With Terran and Shintenchi relations strained as it was... the case wasn't getting the attention it should have received. Though once his identity was revealed to the general public, it had the potential to fan the flames growing between the Aschen immigrants and the Terran natives of Asteria City.

These incidents where cropping up all over the city as of late, and New Caprica Police Precincts where becoming a common topic of the mornings headlines. Just last week a Terran born woman had been beaten and raped after being pulled over for a traffic violation, and last month a man had been hospitalized after a vicious beating during an arrest on suspicion of assaulting a Caprican woman which he was later acquitted of. Two months ago it was vandalism as a pair of New Caprica Police Officers trashed the business of an uncooperative Terran, in full view of witnesses - none of whom would testify on the matter.

In all cases, the lack of evidence, lack of voices willing to testify, or simply the lack of money to afford lawyers to match those of their assailants had resulted in the little action being taken against the New Caprica Police. With much of the police force and infrastructure of New Caprica maintained by ethnic Capricans, the neighborhoods of New Caprica were proving to be increasingly hostile towards other ethnic divisions.

____

The drone of hospital equipment silently echoed through the room where Adriaan was being treated. The Doctor had just finished his rounds, letting a Detective take the questioning. The Detective himself was a young male of Gemonese descent, having emigrated to Asteria from the Empire to escape religious persecution from the Ordo Hereticus.

In his mind, he blamed Terrans for the rise of the Empire itself, and held great distaste for them.

"You're in a lot of trouble, Birdman." The Detective said, going over the charges.

"Resisting arrest, street fighting, assaulting an officer..." He said, shaking his head.

"We're going to throw you in a deep, dark hole and you're never going to see the light of day."

Adriaan watched the detective silently, struggling to remember the events of the night prior. His thoughts where muddled and sluggish from the sedatives.

After a few moments, the Detective handed Adriaan a pen and paper.

"I'm going to need your Confession, now."

Adriaan continued to watch the detective silently before finally shifting his hand slowly to take the pen. Every moment was agony as he started to scribble down a note on the paper.

It read simply: What happened.

"I already told you what happened, you were arrested for fighting, and then you decided to try and fight with some cops." The Detective responded. "They also found this on you." He said, holding up a vial of yellow-green liquid, that had a bright almost fluorescent kind.

"You know what this is?"

Adriaan shook his head. His hand hovered over the paper, but he was having difficulty formulating memories from the previous night.

He finally scribbled down a second note: I don't remember.

"This is some heavy stuff." The Detective said. "Pattern... kinda hard to get in these parts." He said, narrowing his eyes.

"You're looking at a lot of jail time."

Adriaan pushed the paper slightly towards the Detective, to emphasize the second note.

"You're full of shit." The Detective said with a scowl. "Let's see... You're Adriaan Kavaki.." He said, going over the ID Documents. "Native of Volaria... maybe we should deport your ass back there, after you do your time here, of course."

He nodded his head, affirming his identity to the detective before closing his eye briefly. He was exhausted and the lights overhead where painfully bright, and leaving him nauseated.

____

"You're going to remember what happened, and I'm going to damn make sure of that," the detective said, pointing to the paper.

Adriaan looked at the indicated paper before gave the Detective a questioning stare. He finally slid the paper, still blank, back towards the Detective before reaching a hand towards the button to summon a nurse.

When the nurse came, a Police officer blocked her entrance, and the Detective gave a glare back to Adriaan, before he kinked one of his IV Fluids, which was providing vital medicine to him.

"Oops..." The Detective said, before he slid back the paper.

"You got busted from a fight, an illegal fight I might add before you decided to resist arrest and fight two cops, and then, we found this vial of Pattern on you." He said, pointing to the paper.

"Fess up and things will go a lot smoother for you."

Adriaan's eye shifted to the IV and back to the detective, then to the paper and the pen in his hand. There was a sense of unease writhing in the pit of his stomach as he hesitated...

"Tick tock." The Detective said.

Still Adriaan made no more to write the requested statement, and he looked to the doorway where an officer was arguing with a nurse. The monitors showed an elevation in heart rate.

The Detective scowled, and then snatched the paper.

"If that's how you want to be? I'm going to throw the book at your birdie ass! You think the DA Will cut you a deal? Fat chance." He said, letting the IV Unkink, before he turned to the officer. The Nurse and the officer were still arguing, and so the Detective closed the curtain, and wrapped his hand firmly around a part of Adriaan's wing that wasn't wrapped up, and he began to tug, not enough to cause further damage, but perhaps enough to cause excruciating pain.

"You know, in the Empire they like to chop off your wings. That's what I hear."

Adriaan grit his teeth, which sent an explosion of pain through his jaw along with the broken wing. He hissed deeply and he twisted to grab the Detective's arm, but his wrist was still restrained to the hospital bed and the restraints brought his arm up short.

To the side of his bed, the heart rate monitor was spiking and his vision swam as he bit off the sounds of pain that threatened to bubble up from his throat.

The point was made though.

The echo of the pain lingered long after the Detective released his wing, and his hand shook as he began to write.

I am guilty of the following. Unsanctioned street fighting, resisting arrest, attacking a police officer, and distributing Pattern.

He scribbled his signature on the bottom of it before sliding it towards the detective silently.

The Detective took the statement and then turned to the officer.

"We'll be in touch." He said, before he turned to leave.

as written by Saarai and Tiko

"The nurse said it was down here." Shawn told Phinx as the two of rushed down the hospital's hallway. "Shawn, I'll need you to look out for me. If this guy's in real trouble that means there might be cops wandering around." Phinx said.

"Or they'll be showing up to book his ass." She added, "Right here." Shawn told Phinx, "That bird dude's in here." Phinx nodded, giving Shawn a pat on the back before she placed her hand on the door handle.

The Invictus leader pushed the door open, glancing around the room cautiously. She didn't need to go to jail with Adriaan.

"Psst. Adriaan, you alive in here, dude?" Phinx whispered, "I came to help you out."

____

Adriaan cracked an eye open at Phinx's whisper before recognition hit him and he raised an eyebrow.

"Unless you can fix a broken wing, I don't think I'll be flying the coop," he told her.

His words where slurred and groggy as he lifted one of his arms up. It made it only a few inches before the metal cuffs clanged against the bar of the hospital bed.

He lay his head back and closed his eyes again, seemingly only half awake as he slurred a few more words together.

"Did anyone ever tell you that you have an awwwsome accent?" he asked.

____

"I'm guessing you never heard a SoCal accent." Phinx said to Adriaan, making her way over to him to inspect his cuffs. Phinx was strong, extremely durable, but not that strong. She couldn't break the cuffs, "We'll be driving, bro. No flying. I'm afraid of heights anyways." She told him.

Her fingers ran along the bar on the hospital bed, then her hand clamped around it. It was sturdy enough that it wasn't falling apart, but too sturdy for her to break it and not be heard by everyone in the hospital.

"Fuck it." Phinx said, "Shawn!" She whispered loudly, her bodyguard rushing into the room. "Yo, what's up?" He asked, "We're going to pull the bar from the bed and get this dude the fuck out of here." The Invictus leader told Shawn, "Okay, firstly, that's a crime. Secondly, they'll see us coming from a mile away. And, won't they heat us breaking shit?" Shawn asked.

"Probably. Fun, right? Like when we were kids." Phinx mused, "It's not the same as breaking windows and stealing candy, Mary. But... fuck it." Shawn said, placing his hands on the bar.

The pair nodded at each other, silently counting to three before they pulled on the bar. Their combined strength was enough to force it from it's place, but the loud squealing of metal and screws meant they were going to have get Adriaan out of the building fast.

"Alright, Birdman, we gotta go. I hope you aren't too blasted to walk." Phinx said to Adriaan.

"He's high too? Come on." Shawn complained.

____

Adriaan managed to get his legs over the side of bed, before becoming rather entangled in the IVs hooked up to his arms.

"You know tha's illegal. They'll book you for drugs too," he warned Phinx.

He gestured for her to help him up.

"An' I'm not high... just sleepy... very very sleepy... be alright once 'm on m' feet."

____

"Shawn, yo, take the IVs out he doesn't need." Phinx ordered, "I'm not a doctor..." Shawn told her, "Just... take the ones out we can't take with us." Phinx told him, the young man reluctantly moving to help Adriaan. He had no idea what he was doing, what was pumping what. He just knew that once they disrupted the IVs Adriaan was going to be a lot less tired and more in pain.

They needed to get out to the street fast. "We're going to have to dump this stuff and get him some scrips." Shawn said, opting to remove all of Adriaan's IVs.

"Alright, up you go." Phinx said, putting an around Adriaan to help him to his feet. "Get the door, Shawn." Phinx said to her bodyguard. Shawn ran to the door and pulled it open, his head finding it's way out into the hall. The coast seemed clear for now, but that could always change if some old guy started to flatline or a celebrity came to meet a kid with cancer.

"Okay, we're good." Shawn said, gesturing for Phinx and Adriaan to go. "We're outta here." Phinx said to Adriaan, trying to guide him as quickly as possible to the door.

____

"You have fireflies in your hair..." Adriaan mused as Phinx took the brunt of his weight in guiding him to the door. "Pretty fireflies..." he murmured as he reached up to try and touch one.

Whether that was the drugs talking, or the more alarming possibility that his blood pressure was crashing would be hard to say without a doctor on hand.

Whatever the cause, he didn't seem entirely cognitive of just what it was they where doing, or where they where going as the trio made their way to the nearest fire exit.

____

Shawn pushed the fire door open, holding it for Phinx and Adriaan to head through. They didn't seem to be made yet, but the machines that Adriaan was connected to were probably alerting nurses. Nurses would probably alert cops.

Shawn really didn't want to go to prison because Phinx had an altruistic moment.

"This is a bad idea." Shawn said, "Hey, stop being a little bitch." Phinx told the young man, "Let's get Birdman to the car and get to The Palace." She said, "Better yet, let's go to my place. It's funrished now, and I can get Matt in there to look at this guy." The Invictus leader said as they moved.

"I didn't park far from here." Shawn told them, even though Adriaan might not have cared. He was too spaced out or dying. It was fine as long as he didn't die in Shawn's car. He wasn't having any of that.

"Stay close." Shawn said, jogging ahead of Adriaan and his human crutch.

____

"Y'know when we get outa here, I'ma buy you a drink," Adriaan told Phinx. "No, I'ma buy you ten drinks. Whas your name again?" he asked. "Because you should be a Seena. Means river 'n Volarian, an' you are a beautiful lady, like a river."

He pat her on the arm as he winced from the the strain all this moving around was putting on his broken ribs, even through the cocktail of drugs in his system.

____

"Mary. Maria. Whichever you prefer, dude." Phinx said to Adriaan, "And, thanks. I like to think I'm pretty." She added, Shawn waving her and Adriaan over to his black sedan. "Come on." He said, opening the back door.

Phinx stepped up her and Adriaan's already too slow pace in order to get to the car before they were caught. Shawn was already in the driver's seat, the car springing to life only seconds later. "Hurry." He said, ready to drive out of the hospital parking lot and get clear. He really didn't want to be in this situation.

They had probably broken some pretty bad laws at this point.

"Come on, I got you." Phinx told Adriaan, trying to help him into the car as quickly, and gently, as possible before sliding into the backseat with him.

____

The walk to the vehicle had taken a lot out of the avorian and as Phinx managed to get him into the car he half slouched into the corner, and half lay across the seat. The was barely enough room for Phinx to squeeze in without his legs sprawled haphazardly in her way.

His murmurings where somewhat incoherent by this point as he closed his eyes to drift in and out of sleep.

____

"Go. And call Charlie, tell her to meet us at the apartment. Then, I want you to call Viktor, tell him to meet us there with some scrips." Phinx said to Shawn, the young man wasting no time in speeding away from the hospital. He didn't want to be anywhere near it.

Phinx slid her phone from her pocket, dialing in a number with one hand while she used the others to move Adriaan's legs. She wanted to be at least a little comfortable iif she had to share the back with him.

"Hey, yo, Matt. I need you at my apartment right now." She said into the phone, "Not like that, man. I need you to come take care of an injured man for me. If you have to, bring some people you can trust. But, keep the circle small."

"Alright, man, I owe you. See you soon."

as written by Saarai

Night had fallen on New Caprica, it was a calm and peaceful night for most it's residents. But, that was set to change soon.

"Right there." Cenk said, pointing at a large house on the edge of New Caprica. He and his van full of Bratva death dealers prepared their assault rifles for what they were about to do. The job was simple, Kiril ordered them to take out the cop that sold them out. And his family. No survivors.

"Is he even home?" An assassin asked, "He should be. His shift ended about an hour ago. We have his schedule." Cenk answered, pulling down his balaclava. His face was covered save for his eyes, and the facemask was decorated with a Turkish flag. "Let's move." He ordered.

The van's sliding doors opened up and the group of eight assassins climbed out, quickly running towards the home. Two moved to the front door, the others on each side of the house to head to the back.

They had the element of surprise.

as written by barney_fife

New Caprica Convention Center...

The auditorium in new Caprica was packed nearly to capacity with cheering crowds of ethnic Aschen. Signs were being raised up, banners fluttering back and fourth that read 'McGregor for Mayor'

Two Pirandello/Kruger security guards were stationed out of sight on either side of the podium, their stark black and white Cuirass systems made them stand out among the crowd. Two more were positioned at every door to the auditorium. They were all private security hired by Chloe McGregor for the venue.

In addition to security, a podium with multiple microphones, in addition to drone cameras and a handful of cameramen were present.

Standing to Chloe's direct left was the Assistant Deputy Minister of Information for the United Aschen Empire. Appointed by the Emperor himself in secret to act as adviser to his granddaughter.

Everything was carefully planned, everything was prepared in advance, and as Chloe stepped out of the back room the applause intensified, before it died down into silence.

She cleared her throat and read over her carefully prepared speech.

"People of New Caprica, no.. people of Westeria City and all of Valore. I am a simple woman, of simple virtues, humility, and most important of all; peace." She said aloud, her voice booming across the auditorium.

"Westeria City is a city run by an incompetent, corrupt mayor whom was never even elected in the first place; a corrupt politician who takes one look at ethnic districts like these, and turns his nose up at them. An ethnic district that was built by our hands, by our sweat and our tears. New Caprica is a prospering district because of us, let's take that a step further and bring the rest of the city to Prosperity!" She called out.

"New Caprica is a beacon that every district strives to be, no thanks to people like you, and my bold directions as Chairman of the New Caprica Subcommittee. Mayor Julian might have you convinced he's stamped out crime, but this city is still festering. I'm a simple woman of results; therefore as Mayor of Westeria City I will guarantee clean water for everyone, smooth streets, and most important of all. I will increase our police force and remove the corruption that plagues our city!"

As she paused, the applause intensified, before it died out.

"I plan to reform our education, our police force, our fire department, and our hospitals so they perform at their peak. Never again will an accused criminal escape justice because of some lazy cops. The choice is simple Westeria City; Vote for me, it's the right choice."

as written by Saarai and barney_fife

What was starting to happen in New Caprica went far beyond simple gang warfare. Cars, trucks, and vans full of men, and some women, descended on the neighborhood quickly. And almost instantly there were grenades and firebombs being tossed at homes and buildings.

Gunfire followed, aimed indiscriminately at civilians and police alike as this force of destruction moved through. They were lead by a man named Alastair McNamara. A former Irish commando who joined the PIRA at it's height.

So he was no stranger to urban warfare, but with the backing from the Bratva he could step it up.

The Bratva and the Casey Mob had found themselves to be unlikely allies in their war against Ha'la'tha and the Triads.

It was an alliance that Westeria may come to dread. Mostly thanks to the advanced weaponry gifted to the two mobs.

Alastair planned to put them to good use. That use being ethnic cleansing while he had the chance and the police were preoccupied.

That dragon wasn't after him.

____

Given that there was a Reverence II parked over the city gave many of the ethnic Aschen pause, and reason to remain in their homes. Nearly All the Aschen in the district knew not to challenge the might of the Empire, but when men in vans came to shoot up the place.

The Police, having been preoccupied with maintaining order amidst the Chaos were quickly overwhelmed by the incoming gunfire, and it seemed the Casey Mob and the Bratva were gaining traction in this little Aschen enclave, save for one small minor detail.

A gravity lift made it's way down from the Reverence above, landing in the middle of a large three-way intersection. A Myrmidon Heavy tank, and a company of roughly sixty Imperial Aschen Marines now stared down the approaching Mob Alliance.

The Myrmidon opened fire first, sending two slugs of plutonium towards one of the vans, likely causing it to explode. Disruptor volley fire followed a close second, as the Marines moved to engage the approaching Mobsters utilizing a leapfrog and shoot and scoot tactics, a loudspeaker blaring from the platform demanding surrender.

"Take Cover!" A Sergeant shouted, flinching as bullets ricocheted from the Kanvium plating in the Prefabricated fortification dropped by the Reverence.

With combat engaged, the Aschen utilized Bounding over watch, and Traveling over-watch to provide covering fire, and advance on the Mob attack.

____

The heavily armed gangsters responded to the resistance in kind, making use of military style tactics to help close the distance with the Aschen forces. A mixture of bullets and plasma was shot from their side, a few firebombs flying out in the hopes of flushing out their enemy.

Alistair himself stayed behind the cover of a home, peeking out occasionally to assess the situation. He had hoped to have scattered before the big guns came out. That meant he had to hold out for his own if the job was to get done and he was to be paid.

While he was no fan of the Aschen, the payment promised certainly helped this fight become a reality in the first place.

"Just hang in there, fellas!" He called out, phone in hand as he sent a text. It was time to get some extra bodies to sacrifice to whatever cruel god wanted this violence.

as written by Saarai and Gideon

From the sky came the heroic figure in black armor and a gas mask, slamming down a good distance from the fighting. They approached a home, knocking on a door in hopes of getting families away from the city.

When things like this happened the criminal element took advantage. Not today. Not while there was anyone who could do something about it.

The hero looked up at the Reverence in the sky above the city. They were always an omen. Things would only escalate until the city was permanently plunged into chaos.

Little did they know they were being watched. A man atop a roof across the road and looked down on the hero.

"Target spotted. We can move in."

____

Alexander sighed heavily, taking one last drag from the cigarette in his mouth before dropping the detestable thing to the ground, grinding it to dust under the heel of his boot. Why he had allowed addiction to overtake him he did not know, but it calmed his nerves when he needed them settled. A simple enough job he had taken given the simple instructions. That or the Jupiter Corporation simply didn't care how he accomplished the task. Something to worry about later.

"Target spotted. We can move in," came the signal from the spotter on one of the nearby roof-tops. A wry smile came to Alexander's face before he settled the hood of his cloak over his head. Never hurt to protect oneself in case of danger. Activating the material's light-bending properties, he began to sprint forward towards the location at which the target had been spotted, his exo-skeleton's dumb AI keeping him informed of peripheral situations. Nothing to worry about at the moment.

Rounding the corner at full speed, Alexander took in the target. A black armor of which he had been provided no information. Glorious. Sliding to a crouch behind a vehicle, he unlimbered the rail rifle from his back, loading an explosive round into the chamber. Peeking over the edge for his suit to gather data, he charged the rifle shortly while he crouched. Swirling upwards, he let the round, tipped with an explosive material that would severly injure anyone without armor if not kill them outright, setting it to hit the ground between the figure and the Aschen civilians.

As the round impacted, he would vault over the vehicle he was taking cover behind, loading a round as he impacted and firing another shot at the ground near the target's feet. As soon as the round had ejected, he would clip the rail rifle to his back before drawing the pair of adamantium daggers he kept sheathed at his waist, sprinting forward to take full advantage of the possible disorientation from the rounds.

Assuming everything went to plan, of course. If the man detected him, he would simple eschew taking cover, charging straight towards the man while enacting similar tactics with his rail rifle before drawing the knives at close range.

____

The hero was caught off guard by the explosions, scrambling quickly to defend against their attacker. The being was strong, having withstood the explosive rounds. There was a reason why they were confident enough to enter a mini war zone on their own.

They barely saw Alexander coming, opting to at least slow him down so they could figure out what was going by tossing their body at him.

The plan was to knock him back, force them into a face to face fight. It was easier to win when you knew who your enemy was and where they were.

____

Pleasure ran in a vein through Alexander's thoughts as the man failed to notice him before the first round struck. From the natural reactions, the armor did not fully protect the man from the concussive effects of the explosive rounds. Rifle rushed back and connected magnetically to the exo-skeleton before adamantium knives whirled into the air, gripped by Alexander's hands.

Faster than Alexander could process, his body shot downwards, the skeleton forcing him into a roll. Not until he was beginning to uncurl did Alexander realize what had happened to full extent. Wrenching his body around, he lunged towards the target with his knives, holding the blades steady until he was just about to strike.

If the man were facing him, one of the knives would flicker outwards to fly through the air towards the mans shoulder while the other would dart down towards his leg. If the back was presented, it would instead be dual strike with the knives, one to the right arm and the other to the left hamstring, aiming to incapacitate the man efficiently, the efficacy of his actions aided by the exo-suit's semi-autonomous nature as had been displayed a scant second earlier.

____

The hero dove back, slamming their own back against the ground as Alexander came in for another attack. They extended their feet towards the man's body, hoping to use the momentum to toss them overhead and into one of the Aschen homes.

As the two fought the mercenaries aiding Alexander made their move, assembling a few odd looking handguns. They had wide barrels and didn't seem to hold ammunition.

"Wait for it..." One of them said, waiting for the right moment to really move in. They preferred to take down the would-be superhero without ending up in the hospital after it was done.

____

Alexander cursed as the exo-skeleton took its own initiative, utilizing the momentum of the hero's legs to propel itself forward. Pain jarred his body as it contorted faster than humanly possible, yet pain-killing chemicals began to slowly drift through into his skin, dulling the rapid movements. He would need modifications to the dumb AI or the sensors so that it couldn't control him in such a manner. At the very least, it kept him alive.

The signatures of the Jupiter Corp. mercenaries appeared on the edge of his vision and were relegated to non-importance, such distractions being hindering in combat situations. Steadying himself in a split-second, his left hand blurred as the knife took flight towards the man's knee, twirling in a manner calculated by the suit so as to impact with the point. Legs drew up and slammed the wall of the building behind them, propelling himself as a torpedo would towards the hero, shoulder pointed outwards to body check the man.

____

The hero was about to stand when the knife slammed into their armored knee, it wasn't a problem yet. Not until they stood up to pull it out and found that they were being slammed into by their attacker.

With no time to plant their feet they went stumbling back. Before they could regain their balance the Jupiter Corporation mercenaries moved in, a few of them grabbing the hero to keep them distracted.

The hero tossed off the mercenaries easily, their gas mask being pulled off in the struggle to reveal the female face it had hidden. The woman seemed to be young, her hair tied up in a now exposed ponytail.

Her skin was dark, yet light enough to cast doubt on her ethnic background.

The woman turned quickly, expecting Alexander to try to take advantage. She was ready to go all out now if she had to.

It showed when she adopted an odd fighting stance. The woman wasn't planning to go down without a real fight.

____

As Alexander impacted with the armored figure, the Jupiter corps mercenaries moved in and were easily tossed off, a display of the strength which the figure could exhibit. He flew backwards as well, landing on his back and beginning a sideways roll backwards.

Looking upwards, he was momentarily stunned as his eyes met the face of a woman. His presumption of male gender had been wrong. "Why..." he whispered, simply staring at her. Shaking his head vigorously, Alexander shifted the knife between hands, crossing the small gap at slow speeds in tandem with his steps. He slowly began to circle the figure, calculating the best approach which would afford him the most opportunity. The advantage of surprise was gone. And so began the challenge. A joyous smile began to grow on his face, the elation twinkling in his eyes. This fight was one he would relish.

"A pleasure to be your opponent milady. It is not often that I have fought women in close combat," he began, making a flourishing bow as he did so, trusting in his suit's sensors to keep him safe. "I'm afraid, however, that you-" As the speech began to finish, he sprang forward without warning, amplified legs driving him across the small distance. Left hand, now occupying the knife, slashed towards her left arm while his own left arm swung forwards to attempt a direct hit to the center of her chest in an attempt to unbalance her.

____

She planted her feet, ready for the man to attack once he finished with his talking. He was doing too much talking. Anodyne wasn't in the mood to hear her attacker keep talking.

When he lunged at she raised her arm so that the blade would be deflected by her bracer, her free hand moving to grab Alexander's arm. Anodyne threw a quick kick aimed at the man's thigh. There was an inhuman amount of strength behind it.

It wasn't too much. She still needed time to learn her opponent. See what he could take and hopefully end the fight quickly and in her favor.

____

The knife glanced off the bracer, flying off for several milliseconds before the suit redirected the motion to slash at her side, injuries on the target be damned. The arm which had been caught by the woman's hand snapped to the side, intending to pull her into a hold which would place Alexander in a much more advantageous position. Detecting the kick coming towards Alexander's thighs without his knowledge, the suit snapped it's own leg out towards the knife still in the woman's armor. If even some of the foot impacted, the pressure would hopefully drive the knife into the woman's flesh, disabling her leg.

The leg which remained stationary would lock into position, servos momentarily shutting down to absorb the impact of the kick which was coming towards Alexander's thigh. As the foot neared the cloak, it snapped rigidly, a barrier aimed to deflect the attack away from Alexander's body.

____

The knife dug deeper into the armor, but it didn't seem to harm Anodyne. Or she didn't show it if it did. The closeness between her and Alexander complicated things, Anodyne didn't want to be locked up with him until she knew what he could do or what he was carrying.

When the barrier blocked her kick she moved instead to hook his leg with her own and trip him up. If they were going to fight this close it was going to be on the ground with Anodyne on top.

She would never get to see her plan through, two of the armed Jupiter mercs charged forward and fired their weapons. Out came a localized sonic boom, it was large enough to be heard over a long distance.

It hit Anodyne, and possibly Alexander, scrambling the woman's brain. She was likely falling limp against Alexander.

Not that he couldn't handle her now that there was no threat.

as written by barney_fife, Gideon, and Saarai

The Fight in New Caprica had largely began to settle between the Criminal Element, and the Tauron Mob, though the Imperial Marines in the fray managed to keep the Criminals down so that the base of operations could be established.

"Alright, orders are to secure civilians in good standing with the Empire." A Marine sergeant shouted, flinching at the sound of a nearby explosion.

"Defectors, political dissidents, and heretics are to be summarily executed." The Sergeant called out, while a platoon of Men were setting up mortars in a nearby apartment complex rooftop, a small Command post had also been established in an adjacent hotel, this was where the Lieutenant could coordinate directly with the Admiral in the Reverence above, and the forces in the rest of the city.

____

At such close proximity, the suit would have been unable to move to avoid the swipe in time without making Alexander fall yet this did not occur to Alexander as he was focused entirely on the attack. That is, until the sonic blasts from the weapons carried by the Jupiter mercs discharged. His cloak snapped violently, sparks flying away from the electro-reactive material as the systems overloaded and died. His composite armor and the exo-suit reacted as well, acting to absorb the energy to keep his body from serious harm. Momentarily disoriented, the suit steadied him long enough to catch the body of the woman in his arms.

Grunting in annoyance, he lay her body on the floor gently, taking time to examine her in detail. An interesting armor it was that she wore and her face was quite a serious one, although tempered by her unconsciousness. Gripping the knife in her armor firmly, he yanked the weapon out cleanly, blood lightly staining the tip. It seemed his kick hadn't done enough damage to cripple after all. A very tough armor she wore.

"Alright boys, she's all yours. Mind if I hitch a ride back to headquarters with you? Don't want to be stuck in this war zone, especially with the Aschen involved." Reaching inside his cloak, he removed a cigarette and lighter, returning once again to that distasteful habit.

____

Alistair and his people dug themselves a nice little hole in what was, before the violence, an eatery. Trading fire with any Aschen forces they felt got too close.

"More of the Russians are on their way. They might bring friends." Alistair informed his people, "Tell them to hurry. We're outgunned and we lost too many people." One of the gangsters said, stolen Aether rifle in hand as he peeked out of a window at the Reverence in the sky.

"I asked about some heavy weapons. They might come through for us." Alistair told his fighters, "Just hold out for a bit."

No matter who won the fight in New Caprica there were going to be casualties. Something Anodyne was going to regret when she woke up from her sonic induced slumber. The Jupiter mercenaries hoisted the woman up from the ground, carrying her away from the scene.

They didn't need to be shot while they waited for their ride.

"Yeah, come on." One of them told Alexander, "We've got a van coming to take us to our ship. It's too dangerous to fly in the city right now." He explained.

"Sorry about shooting you too. Can't take any chances with this one. She's strong." Another told Alexander.

A fleet of vans drove by them, inside each a squad of the Bratva's local commandos. They nearly stopped, but they were looking for Aschen uniforms. Everyone else didn't matter.

____

The fleet of Vans would have a heck of a time getting through the city, at the very least the parts the Aschen had seized and secured.

Imperial Marines were going door to door, pulling Aschen out from their homes and businesses, some had their documents checked, and the marines gestured towards the Hotel near the deployment zone, and others met a much more unsavory fate.

The van would pass a pair of Marines taking order from a sergeant, a group of five men and three women were lined up neatly facing a wall.

The marines took aim and fired, executing them one by one through shots to the back of the head, sending charred blood and brain matter all over the side of the wall.

Inevitably the fleet of vans would likely approach an Intersection, two Lynx IFVs, and a Myrmidon tank blocking an intersection, a Marine in urban camouflage and a bright reflective vest held out his hand to stop the vans.

All around them the fighting continued, where there were criminals, there were Aschen shooting at them.

____

Alexander nodded at the mercenary's words as the rest picked up the body of the woman, beginning to scuttle away from the scene of combat before someone decided to start shooting at them. Considering the sounds of heavy combat from further within the area of New Caprica, such a decision was wise.

Turning his head, he looked at the spot at which the woman had been standing initially. Three people lay on the floor, legs mutilated by the explosion from his two shots with various pieces of shrapnel in their upper bodies. One of the bodies appeared much smaller than any of the others, further inspection revealing it to be a small girl. A grimace passed across his face. He had never liked killing civilians yet he did so frequently. Another detestable habit, just like his smoking.

Joining up with the mercenaries, he hopped into the van after the rest of the had loaded, staying silent the entire way to Jupiter Corps headquarters.

____

The driver of the lead van looked to his comrades, the look on his face and theirs was the definition of confusion. They knew anarchy was having it's day in Westeria City, but seeing the Aschen executing their own was unexpected.

"Chto yebat' proiskhodit?" One of them asked, "Not sure. Civil war? Rogues?" The driver replied, coming to a slow stop at the intersection.

"Be ready to fight, but I'm going to use words. Then we return to base and report to the commander." The driver said, his people readying their weapons and sliding their van doors open just a little.

"We are armed!" He called out as the van approached the Aschen soldier, coming to a stop a little ways away. "I'm getting out and would like to speak to the man or woman in charge." He said, slowly climbing out of the van. He held his hands high, making it clear that for now he was no hostile.

He wore armor that the Aschen wouldn't recognize. These were different Russians. A special group for special instances. Professional soldiers who found a home with criminals when Russia didn't feel like home anymore.

"I am Vasilli Kunis."

____

As the fight erupted all around them, one could never be too serious, and the men at the Checkpoint kept their weapons drawn. The Myrmidon's mammoth twin gun turret was lazily pointing down the street, it was primed and ready to fire should a threat emerge.

The Vans came to a stop, and the men raised their weapons. Both Lynx IFVs kept their Autocannon turrets pointed as well as the gunners on top.

The Sergeant stood behind a makeshift road barrier. The driver got out, declared that he was armed and asked to speak with whoever was in charge.

"Leave your weapons in the van, approach slowly and with your hands where I can see them!" The Sergeant called out.

"I am Sergeant First Class Niklaos Zabat, Approach me slowly and do not make any threatening gestures, my men have itchy trigger fingers." The man said, his accent was a fairly thick Tauron accent, and through the camouflage facepaint, Tauron tattoos could be made out.

"Who are you and what is your purpose here, this is restricted area, and a Military Area of Operation."

While the Sergeant was talking to the Russian, a man was lead outside behind them from an Apartment complex, forced to kneel and shot in the head. This occured in plain view of the Russians.

____

"We came to aid our allies." Vasilli said, approaching Niklaos slowly. "I'll be honest, they are engaged in fighting with your people. But, I am not here to fight. Things have changed." He told Niklaos, "For me, at least. As long your triggers fingers remain itchy and unused."

Vasilli kept his hands up a little, making sure that it was scene that he wasn't planning a fight.

"Things we are seeing right now have caused me to believe that this is not a fight we need to fight. Not for business partners against an enemy we don't really want to fight." The man continued, "We prefer to focus our weapons on the abominations. Vampires, witches, and the rest of them."

as written by barney_fife and Saarai

The Tauron sergeant nodded.

"Our goals aren't too far apart, the Empire is built on the purity of Humanity, it stands for the extermination of aliens, mutants, and all those who would stand against us."

His men kept their weapons trained on Vasilli, following him as he approached the checkpoint, the thick ozone like stench of Disruptor fire wafting through the street amidst a chalky grey smoke, atomized flesh and concrete from weapons fire filled New Caprica like a proverbial fog of war.

The radios clattered in Anquietas, but amidst the static of Aschen communications a radio message came clear.

Niklaos was abruptly interrupted as a Corporal shouted.

"Sarge! Turn your radio on!"

The Sergeant paused, and then he turned his radio on as a clear female voice emanated from the radio strapped to his chest-plate.

"In fealty to the Emperor, and by the grace of the Imperial Throne, I declare Exterminatus upon the world of Valore."

The rest of the words were drowned out by static, a warbling sound, and then the words came in again.

"....eby sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a million souls to oblivion. May Imperial Justice account in all balance."

Each and every Aschen soldier at the checkpoint paused, some of them looked left to right in confusion, the tank gunner looked up

Immediately following the woman's voice, standard radio chatter came through. "tango duo alpha novem, tango constellation ricon septem sese portum punctum et parare ecloga, exterminatus pendente."

The Sergeant clicked his radio twice. "affirmativa: movemur." Before he looked up to Vasilli.

"Do whatever you must, enter at your own risk." He said, nodding at the men behind him, the Lynx IFV blocking the road pulling back, to clear the road for the Russians.

"Stipant pueri! Nos hinc denuo!" He called out in Anquietas, and like a well oiled machine, the soldiers set to work dismantling the checkpoint.

____

"They're falling back!" A soldier called out, his words prompting Alistair to peek his head out and look. The Aschen forces were leaving. The Irishman was confused by what he saw.

Did the backup turn the tide of the battle? Or did the Aschen have bigger fish to fry?

It all became clear when Vasilli and his men approached in their vans.

"What's happening?" Alistair asked, he and his own forces approaching their allies. "Reports from inside the military say they're gone." Vasilli answered, his men climbing out of the vans to greet the others.

"Let the people know, this is our territory now. The Aschen still living here answer to us, they pay us, we protect them." Vasilli said, "Sharashka's orders." He added.

Alistair nodded. "Aye, what of the Triads?" He asked, "We take Hagan and the eastside from them. Tonight."

as written by barney_fife and Tiko

As the sun slowly set over a burning Westeria City, much of the people in New Caprica were coming to show up to a rather intense rally, flyers had been distributed to the population of the city, and Chloe McGregor was standing before a packed auditorium, Ethnic Aschen who just wanted to defend their homes and restore order to the district.

"Good evening." Chloe said, addressing he crowd. "I'm thankful for the turnout, welcome to the New Caprica People's Militia's first official rally I'm Chloe McGregor, Acting First minister of the New Caprica Transitional Government." She said, clearing her throat.

The crowd in the auditorium remained silent, some of them listening closely to their new leader, a leader that was chosen in a hastily prepared democratic vote.

"As you can see around you, we have been abandoned by the Terran National Government. The decision has been made by you, the people of New Caprica, to carve out our own destiny! The Militia has provided security to the people of this district, and our volunteers have worked tirelessly to bring this city back from the atrocities that the Imperial Aschen Government carried out against us." She said.

Elsewhere in the building, armed guards watched the surrounding area carefully, militia-members wearing whatever they could find, from combat gear looted from dead Aschen and Terran soldiers, to police uniforms, and tactical attire. They were armed with everything from gauss weapons, to Aschen energy weapons, and they searched each attendee carefully, to prevent anyone from trying to assassinate the First Minister.

____

The rally went largely unnoticed and unninterupted by the TNG military that were operating within New Caprica. Like Azure Heights, and Colcord Point, New Caprica was being utilized as a primary hub to evacuate the civilians of Westeria City, but those who chose to remain behind did so of their own volition, and the TNG hadn't the resources to spare in trying to sway public opinion into joining the rest of the evacuees. They had made their decision, and in less than a week the last of the TNG military would be gone. Then they would truly be on their own.

In the meanwhile, the military presence was doing what it could to maintain order, and to stem the influx of racism and violence breaking out in the city, but they were playing the numbers game. Save the many at the expense of the few. The TNG hadn't the resources to monitor all of New Caprica, and those who were choosing to remain behind where the biggest victims of the violence as the military focused its attentions into the evacuation points and in protecting those trying to leave.

Frankly, many of the TNG thought that the Aschen remaining behind were a lost cause anyways. That they wouldn't survive the anomalies tearing apart the Midlands, and that they were fools. The 'New Caprica Transitional Goverment' was largely viewed as a joke. An entity that wouldn't survive the days to come. The mentality no doubt aided Chloe in garnering support among the ethnic Aschen population.

as written by Saarai and barney_fife

Preston watched the city go by as he and his team drove through it, things were going to hell in it. For every one place that they and the TNG could restore order in, there were many others devolving into chaos.

"I see people. Armed people." Nina said, pointing to a group of men standing on a street corner. "Pull up, be ready for hostilities." Preston ordered. The driver slow down as the van they were in approached the group.

The armed men bore some visible tattoos, Russian gang tattoos. Nina and the others recognized them, these were dangerous men. Former KGB, Spetznas, career criminals.

"We're looking for the rally." The driver said to the men, "There." One of them answered, pointing to a building just down the block. "Thanks." The driver said, taking the van further down the road.

"Nina, you're taking point. Telford, I need you and the others to keep watch outside. If we got wind of this, I imagine any anti-Aschen extremists might have. Let's try to prevent a hate crime." Preston ordered, the van coming to a stop.

"Alright, let's go." Nina said, climbing out of the van with Preston in tow. They headed for the entrance to the meeting, hands off of their weapons to show they were there as more than soldiers to anyone watching them.

____

The pair of Militiamen guarding the entrance to the Rally grasped their own weapons, Type 53 Disruptor rifles looted from dead Imperial soldiers. Each of them were wearing black BDU Attire, with a plate carrier and a load bearing vest. Worn over their left arm were the armbands denoting the seal of the Aschen Militia.

As Nina and Preston approached, they gestured to the security Kiosk.

"You here to see the rally? Check your weapons with security." The Militiaman said. "We've had some threats against the first minister."

____

"Mostly here to ask questions about one of our missing people. She came here to aid the locals, and then she went dark." Preston told the militiamen, he and Nina making their way over to the security kiosk. "Sidearms okay? Too dangerous not to be without something right now." Nina said.

"All of it, I assume." Preston told her, removing his rifle and pistol. The woman did the same, shrugging.

"Alright, show us the way."

____

Once the pair removed their weapons and checked them with security, the weapons would be placed in a large lockbox, large enough to accommodate the pistols and the rifles. The Security officer then handed Preston a small yellow card with a number on it.

"This is your weapons claim ticket, hang onto it, you'll need it to claim your weapons." He said, as the lockbox was placed in a large gunsafe that the Militia had looted from a nearby gun store.

"Security's tight here, no one's going to bother you, or us for that matter. We've got enough firepower here to make any racist terran think twice about starting trouble here." The Militiaman they met at the door replied. A moment later, the security officer handed both Nina, and Preston a bright red armband. "You're invictus, aren't you?" He asked, before he gestured to a large set of doors, which also had security checking people's wristbands for admission.

"Through those doors, we'll let the First Minister know you're here to see her, she'll probably send for you once she's done with her speech." He said.

The sound of Chloe's voice could be heard through the doors.

----

"... and we must cast aside our old identity as Aschen, for we are no longer servants of the Empire, nor are we part of the old Confederation! Today I will lead us all to our new promised land! Not as Aschen! But as New Capricans!" Chloe shouted, holding her hands out to cheering crowds.

"We will build ourselves new homes! New lives! And a new Nation!" She called out.

"So say we all!" She shouted, and the crowd began to chant.

"So Say we all! So Say we all!"

____

"Yeah, we are. Too dangerous to wear identifiers until enough of the city is locked by friends, or at least neutrals, to avoid catching a bullet or plasma from a terrorist, a crook, or anyone with a chip on their shoulder." Preston said, "Nothing like a disgruntled government worker with a gun." Nina said, slipping on her armband.

"Let's go." Preston said to Nina, gesturing her along to the doors. "The First Minister? And she's a her. Go Aschen equality." Nina said, entering the rally behind Preston.

"A little culty, but fine." Nina joked at the chanting.

____

The Rally itself was packed with people, nearly wall to wall, and shoulder to shoulder with individuals who wanted to build a new life for them and their families. Standing on the stage was a young blonde woman, appearing no older than her mid twenties. Shoulder length blonde hair fell freely, but her stance and her voice carried a fiery passion.

The crowd continued to chant the words 'So say we all' as the first minister concluded her speech. Exiting stage right, a Militiaman approached Preston and Nina. The Militiaman however, appeared no older than fifteen, an oversize Imperial Aschen uniform and Black armband with the words 'Securitas' printed in Anquietas.

"This way." He said in a gratey, puberty stricken voice. Slinging a Molecay disruptor rifle over his shoulder, he gestured for the two to follow. The guards at the doors towards the backstage nodded slightly.

Back here, it was far quieter than the cheering crowds in the main room, Preston and Nina were led down a hallway towards a large metal door, where another Militiaman approached, this one older, and from the looks appeared to be ex military; ex Imperial military. "I'm going to pat you down before we let you in." He said as the young guerilla saluted, and turned to leave. If the pair allowed the pat down, and the man found no weapons, he would open the door.

Inside Chloe was seated, glass of cold water in hand as she turned to Nina and Preston.

"I figured it was a matter of time before the TNG sent it's attack dogs." She said cooly, placing the glass on the desk.

"I'm First Minister Chloë McGregor, I'm the acting Commander-in-chief and representative of the New Caprica People's Republic." She said extending her hand.

"How can I help you?" She asked, her stark McGregor blue eyes watching Preston and Nina Inquisitively. On close inspection, the young woman bore a strong resemblance to a certain other McGregor.

____

Other than the standard military gear, and a knife or two, the pair had no more weapons. They were traveling light, at least for now. The city hadn't erupted just yet. The gangs were getting their bearings, and so were the other factions springing up. It was a matter of time though.

"And here I thought we were dealing with different Aschen." Nina said to Preston, raising an eyebrow at the woman's extended hand. "We're more like their sensible brother that has to bail them out of jail." Preston said, opting not to shake Chloe's hand. Instead he dug into one of the pouches on his utility belt.

Out came a picture, it made it's way to her hand instead. The picture was of Anodyne, one of the few she allowed the Invictus to take of her face.

"We're here for ourselves. For her. She went dark trying to assist the people of New Caprica. We were wondering if anyone might have seen what happened, if anyone she rescued saw where she went after." Preston told Chloe.

"There's got to be someone still around that she helped that night." Nina added.

____

Chloe raised an eyebrow, before she spoke up. "You are dealing with different Aschen." She said, making a face. "The man outside my door is wanted for Heresy because he didn't want to execute a Terran family." Chloe said.

"That young boy's entire family was shot by the Imperial Military for thoughtcrime; none of us are friends with the Aschen Empire." She said flatly, awkwardly lowering her hand.

"Nobody ever taught you any manners, did they? It's the same with you people; and frankly the Racism can get a bit grating." Chloe added, before she took the picture and inspected it slowly.

"I've seen her in and around New Caprica, but I hope you're not insinuating we're behind her disappearance." She said, walking over to a copy machine.

"If I'm going to help you, I need a favor from the Invictus." Chloe said, placing the photograph face down on the copier. "Business is business after-all." She said, copying the photograph.

"I know you think that we're terrorists but we're not, we're trying to get a fresh start, these are our homes, and since the TNG Abandoned us we're taking it upon ourselves to retake our homes for ourselves. Put in a good word for us; I don't want TNG Soldiers to be marching in and undoing everything we have done here." Chloe said, handing the original picture back to Preston.

"I'll distribute this to the New Caprica Police, see if they can turn up anything for you."

____

"My mom tried, but between all the murder and war in our village, she couldn't keep up." Nina said sarcastically, Preston raising a rand to shush her. "I'm usually very patient, I am now, but I also speak when I feel I need to." Preston told Chloe, "We are not their attack dogs, don't refer to us as such. We don't think you're terrorists, it doesn't matter if you are. And, lastly, we're not racist." He continued.

"I'm sure my rifleman here is just offended, referring back to attack dogs, and she will apologize. She's had a stressful week." Preston turned to Nina, waiting for her to apologize as he took back Anodyne's picture.

Nina clearly didn't want to, but she knew she didn't really have much choice. "Sorry." She said to Chloe, her words were sincere if not reluctant.

Preston turned his attention back to Chloe, tilting his head towards Nina. It was Chloe's turn. Preston was clearly trying to make sure things didn't get off on the wrong foot. They needed help, and the city needed stability. The man was a bleeding heart, even if he didn't show it outwardly often.

"We're reporting back to the top brass, so we'll let Mary know. She should be speaking with the military leaders still in town soon, or Rhea." Preston told Chloe.

____

"These are dark times, it's best to bite our pride and show humility when it suits everyone the best." She said, Taking the stack of copies and moving them to the desk.

"If anyone's seen anything, I'll compile the information into a report, and then I'll have it delivered by secure courier." Chloe said, turning back towards Preston and Nina.

"I presume the Invictus is still operating out of this city? At that large building?" Chloe asked. "I can send a Courier there if I find anything. It's the best way to keep anyone who doesn't need to know, from knowing." She added.

"You might not be the TNG's attack dogs, and you might not have any issues with who we are. But a lot of people in this city do, and it's my job to keep them from wrecking our proverbial lawns." She said, moving to the small refrigerator, and pulling out another water bottle.

"Is there anything else I can assist you with?" She asked

____

"We're still there, but it's best we meet away from there." Preston told Chloe, "We've taken in people that were displaced. Many of which are very hostile towards the Aschen." He explained, "Call us." Nina said, digging one of her cards out of a pocket.

"Got any room for more Aschen?" Preston asked, "We're housing some, and it's been very hectic trying to keep the more extreme refugees from murdering them." Nina told Chloe, "We told them we would protect them, but it's getting harder and harder each day. Especially with out commitment to the TNG." She added.

"They're safer here, or at least somewhere more secluded than our HQ."

____

"Of course we have room, we need more people to fill critical positions within our fledgeling city-state. We'll take as many as you can give us." Chloe said with a nod.

She reached out and took the card, frowning at the mention of calling. "I'll see what I can do, a working phone is somewhat of a premium around here, the Empire took out what communications they could, so signal has been spotty. If the phones don't work, I'll send a courier, I find that couriers are more discreet." Chloe explained.

"Send refugees, we'll take them so long as they're willing to help out around here."

____

"We'll make sure they work. We have our means, we'll have to provide you with those means. If we're lucky, we can establish CPs around the city for our allies to communicate with us. And each other." Preston told Chloe, "If we're even luckier, no one will die trying to out up antennas." Nina said.

"We should be in close enough proximity that it works. Otherwise send that courier if I don't answer." Nina added, lifting her arm to glance at her watch. "I gotta go." She told Preston, "Understood." He responded.

"First Minister, we look forward to working with you." He said, turning to head out. Nina waved to Chloe before she turned to follow Preston out.

____

"They're arming themselves, Vasilli." One of the Russian gangsters said as he watched the people of New Caprica from his car, phone on his dashboard as he spoke. "Doesn't matter. We operate here now. If they have a problem, solve that problem." Vasilli said over the phone.

"I understand, Vasilli." The gangster said, leaning over to open his glove compartment. Inside sat a large handgun, and he was ready to use it.

He grabbed the gun and climbed out of his car, the gun down at his side as he began to walk towards a Militia member. The Russian began to raise the gun at the unsuspecting New Caprican.

"Spread the word!" He said loudly to draw attention, aiming the gun at the Militia member's head. Just as he squeezed the trigger he was tackled to the ground, a gunshot killing the relative calmness of New Caprica.

Mounted on the man was a woman pulling his arm and twisting it, forcing the gun to fall.

"Not today." She said, keeping the man's arm in her grip. Her dark hair was braided back into cornrows and she was dressed in a pair of jeans, boots, and a t-shirt. The ensemble brought together by the tactical vest and utility belt she wore.

A pistol holstered on her hip.

She wasn't local. That much was easy to tell.

____

The lone gunshot illicited a response from several other armed citizens and plainclothes militiamen surrounding the area. Their response was swift, but by the time they arrived it seemed this strange woman had the gunman pinned on the ground.

From a nearby shop, two New Caprica Police officers came onto the scene with Plasma rifles poised and ready to go, Zats at their hips. They moved in, one turning to the woman. "We got this." One said, as he, and two armed Citizens also moved to help restrain the lone gunman.

The audible sound of arming Zat'nik'tels came next, as two more armed citizens withdrew their Zats and pointed them at the gunman.

The two officers attempted to place a pair of binders on the gunman. While the second one called into his radio. "We have a shooting in progress, send backup." He said, turning to the second officer.

"Secure the area! Find any accomplices! Notify central dispatch! I'll take this man in for enhanced questioning."

____

"Enhanced questioning?" Nina asked, letting go of the man so he could be properly restrained. "If that means torture, I want to deliver this guy to what's left of the WCPD or send him to the NPA in Van Leugen." She told the officers, getting to her feet slowly.

"Also." She jerked a thumb behind her at the two trucks making their way down the street.

"We brought some of the refugees. Some of them lived here." She said, "They're all yours."

____

"We're not the Empire, he will not be physically harmed and he will receive a fair trial with proper legal representation." The officer protested as they waited for the prisoner transport to arrive.

On cue, two for,ear tech com technicals repainted with the New Caprica Security Forces emblem pulled up, escorting what appeared to be a box truck converted into a paddy wagon.

"This man just tried to murder an innocent man trying to protect his city, if it were up to me..." The militiaman trailed off, as they escorted the Russian gunman to the box truck.

As the refugees arrived people began to gather to welcome them, and assist them in integrating.

____

"Good thing you're not." Nina said, "Be careful here. I saw his tattoos, that guy's a bratok. Bratva. A gangster. The ones here are former military and ruthless. They'll come for their guy." Nina informed the officers.

She leaned over and picked up his gun, looking it over for a second before tucking it into her waistband. "Inform your leadership that we're gathering volunteers for a trip to Van Leugen for supplies."

as written by Azrican and barney_fife

High above the Midlands, a single A/SF-13 Cyclone blistered through the upper stratosphere, scramjets hauling the fighter-bomber and the power electronic equipment hung within the internal bays of the starjet. As long white tails boiled out from the Cyclone’s primary turbines and into the thin chilly air behind it, a digital telescope was training across the coastal reaches of the Terran continent, and quickly scanning the reaches of the world below. The two-man craft, one pilot and other electronic combat officer, was widely seen throughout the Naval Cavalry as an intermediary combat craft: truly when not equipped for war it was a superb reconnaissance aircraft.

One city in particular, having been 'tracked and tagged' through remote observation by the AEV-986, was what the Cyclone was passing over with the high-powered electronics suite called the LANTIRN. Visual photography was handled by two terapixel process-imagers that gave the otherwise slim belly of the Cyclone her parturiency, while most other emissions were processed within the LANTIRN's A/N-JS8/8 'Skyspy' suite. For the sake of redundancy, the Cyclone's built-in AN-GKS11 'Mustache' radar was at half-power allowing the onboard imagers to 'copy-proof' what they were receiving. New Caprica was coming into grainy, but inevitable resolution with every passing orbit - about twelve every half hour - as the electronics operator sought about fine tuning what emissions he had already gathered.

This was, of course, to verify a suitable landing zone for the some twenty FERRI drones, 19m long craft operated by either remote-presence or autonomously by one of thousands of interchangeable combat entities in wide use amongst the Apparatus. Several hundred kilometers above the Cyclone was where this air train was located, packed with not only prompt survival necessities: medicines, fortified foods and supplies, but also an ad-hoc platoon-sized force of Naval Corpsmen and their jaegermarine escorts. Within the spacious hold of one of the FERRI, a Starfleet Ensign (First Class) took a ruggedized communicator from a marine officer, bringing it to his ear and taking a glance at a holographic prompt near the door.

"Come in New Caprica Land Control, this is Flight 8AX in-bound from 600 kilos out, requesting direction for orbital termination and landing."

____

For the most part the aid recieved from the FERRI Drones was relatively warmly recieved, seized by the New Caprica People's Liberation Army, and distributed to the civilian population accordingly. Food, medical supplies, and other humanitarian aid helped greatly as the New Caprica Worker's Union were hard at work restoring the city's utilities and other services.

Eventually the rolling blackouts that had plagued the district of the city since the Aschen attack had come to an end, as the New Caprica Worker's Union finished installing a brand new industrial grade Naquadah reactor in a hastily rebuilt series of shacks that bore the name. "Public Utiilities."

Inside the former Graystone HQ, Chloe McGregor was standing over a large map of Westeria City and the vicinity. Two Militia leaders, a former Tech Con Mercenary, Arren Valaj, and a retired Imperial Military officer, Commander Kalfas were standing over the maps.

The Scatterran movements had been reported by several volunteers of the New Caprica Police; highlighted as plastic soldiers that were looted from a nearby toy store. Monopoly game pieces denoted police positions, and old government positions.

"..So this alien military made contact with the Invictus? They're the same ones that have been distributing humanitarian aid?" She said, as Commander Kalfas nodded.

"It's likely the Invictus are preparing to position them against us. We know where the loyalties of the Invictus lie; and we know the Terran National Government will not allow our nation to flourish without a fight. We've seen what they do to the Shintenchi nations." Kalfas nodded, as Chloe turned to Commander Valaj.

"Report." She said, turning back to survey the map.

"Well; first minister. We're still trying to route the Russian control of the region. I've been working with Administrator Cowen of the New Caprica Police in regards to several new directives aimed at rooting out entrenched Bratva positions. Our priority howver remains that we must secure the Tech Con quarter to provide key manufacturing capabilities if we're ever forced to fight a protracted conflict with this new Military force, or the Terran National Government."

Chloe nodded slightly. "Valid point; I need you to make contact with these new forces, and see if we can be granted an audience with whomever is in charge over there. We can't let the Invictus; or the Terran National Government stain their views. Gentlemen we're barely capable of fighting the TNG if they decide to come back, we need to capitalize on the situation if we're going to ensure our long term survival." She said, turning back to the map.

"Dismissed, Gentlemen."

____

OP Michael
Following the cleanest route towards Michael, or New Caprica as the various highway signs and frontage lanes displayed, a lone Saber and three FP-3 Hornet patrol bikes distinguished themselves from what few civilian traffic there might have been by reserving a line for themselves. If their militarized, particularly alien, appearance weren't enough the presence the vehicles might inspire on those they passed by may bring everything from apprehension, to a sense of liberation. At the head of the pack, as his jetbike lined the divider of the middle lane, Sergeant Major Connor Avilius reached up to key into the squadnet, speaking into a small telebead in the MC3-E riding helmet that obscured his features.

"We're about a klick out Delta, keep on your toes. Sergeant Guillan, let's ring the doorbell." The Sergeant Major commanded, holding one hand up and motioning for a column to be formed behind him. With the Saber in the middle, the infantry motorcade was soon closing in upon an installation of some sort, more military in nature than anything the marines had seen common of "civilian" infrastructure.

From the driver's seat of the Saber, Guillan steadied the wheel with one hand before looking up at Corporal Set Baker, standing at the helmet of the 14.7mm MAW-84 rotary cannon: their insurance for unquestioningly waltzing into what could be a hostile ambush. "Keep a finger on the trigger but don't fire unless I say so. All we'll need is likely one zap of that if things get a little far beyond talking."

The Corporal gave a brief thumbs up, sliding back through the cupola and racking the electric slide of the cannon and lazily aim it off into the air: an internationally recognized symbol, at least in the Garden, of no ill intent.

____

The road ahead was flowing fairly smoothly, as what little civilian traffic made it's way in and out of New Caprica. Much of the old traffic signs were taken down. Replaced with new signs that directed traffic to the checkpoints that secured each major entrance into New Caprica.

The Apparatus convoy as it moved through the roadway was greeted by a large checkpoint into New Caprica City.

The road was blocked by a large red and white road gate, flashing red lights and a pair of New Caprica Police officers clad in Aschen woodland camouflage, black tactical vests, black balaclavas, and armbands that read 'NCP' in white letttering. There were two officers stationed at each checkpoint, five lanes in each direction. For the most part the checkpoint was running smoothly. New Caprica Police were checking documentation, asking a few questions, and allowing people to pass into the city without too much harassment. Occasionally a vehicle was directed to a secondary inspection point for a more thorough search.

Along with the small booths, stationed police officers, and gates. A single Murmillo MBT sat idling with it's turret also pointed horizontal but at a slight upward angle, perpendicular to any traffic so it was not aimed directly at the roadway.

Eventually the convoy reached the checkpoint, and the New Caprica Police officer approached the lead of the column.

He looked back to the rear, and then back to the sergeant, before he spoke up.

"Good afternoon, and welcome to New Caprica. I'd ask if you were carrying any weapons but that's a stupid question. I need to see your identification, please." He said, holding out his right hand, while his left kept his disruptor rifle securely slung over his shoulder. "What brings you to our City? How long are you planning to stay here?" He said, looking back at the column.

"If you're going to be bringing all this into the city, you'll need special permmission from Commander Valaj, and Administrator Cowen. If you can pull into secondary." He said, gesturing towards a nearby parking lot. "We'll get the ball rolling as long as your intentions aren't hostile."

____

The Sergeant Major, at the head of the column, placed both his feet on the ground off either end of the Hornet, powerful atmograv repulsors keeping the Hornet in 'idle' just a mere inches from the ground. Without uniforms, the men on the Hornets would have easily passed as criminal elements: indeed they might even still, albeit very adequately equipped ones. The Sergeant Major's C-18W carbine was strapped against the front of the Hornet, just ahead of the throttle sticks, and a Mk. 98 10mm pistol was strapped below his name placard over his left breast.

Avilius pulled up the visor of his helmet, eyeing the terran up momentarily before he drew a hand to the facemask and tore it free. "Sergeant Major Avilius, 44th Battalion. You got some of the aid pie and we’re here to meet the postcard.” He replied, cranking one throttle of the Hornet for a moment as the vehicle began to lift just slightly. As it went shifting back to the ground, Connor extended his opposite palm for a handshake. “Whoever’s in charge here needs to make some time right away; this humanitarian op is a nightmare, the eggheads in Battalion Command need to find a better way to get that aid here.”

____

The New Caprica Police officer paused for a moment, and then he regarded the insignia on the soldiers before him. The color schemes and the symbols matched those on the pallets and FERRI drones that dropped them.

The Officer nodded for a moment, and then he chimed his radio. A brief conversation in Anquietas ensued over the radio. After about five minutes of frustrated conversation, the Officer got off the radio and turned to the sergeant.

"You have permission from the First Minister, who wishes to meet with you. Proceed straight down the freeway, get off at Carbon avenue, and proceed south until you reach a large building. That's the City Hall, there is where the provisional government is housed. It's in the old Graystone Industries building; or as we like to call it. The Shard." He said, gesturing to a large building resembling a shard of crystal several miles away.

"Try not to spook the locals; you're clear to proceed." He said, stepping back. The gate opening up in front of them, as two New Caprica Police vehicles, former Tech Con Technicals pulled up with flashing lights ready to escort the Scatterrans to the Shard.

____

Avilius gave the officer a brief nod, pulling the face shield back down and then signalling to the column behind him they would be continuing on. After slowly filtering through the checkpoint the column reached a quick speed to traverse the borough and find the building in question. With the Sergeant Major at the helm, the vehicles came to a rolling stop in front of the large structure.

“Looks like this place is getting back on it’s feet.” A Lance Corporal said with a huff, opening the door of the Saber and then hopping down to her feet from the running boards. Two other marines hopped down from the back, riding in the bed immediately behind Corporal Set Baker in the gunner’s cupola.

“Same can’t be said for the rest of the city.” A Private retorted, racking the slide of his M-18A5 before clipping off the safety and saddling the weapon across his chest. “Let’s hope the Sergeant Major knows what he’s doing.” He finished, reaching back into his seat and grabbing a small computer device.

“Shove it up your ass Anderson, whole fuckin’ planet’s shot to shit.” PFC Cooper replied as he came around the truck bed to face the Shard. “Sergeant Major’s just going to set up a PERIMETER beacon and we’ll be out of this city in no time.” He said, checking his own rifle and ensuring it functioned. Joining Avilius and the three other marines on the bikes at the curb of the street, the enlisted men all fell silent for a moment as they took in the sights of the buildings around them.

Sergeant Guillan stood close to the Sergeant Major in intense, but hushed, conversation. Occasionally, one of the NCOs took a suspicious look up from the conversation to some of the nearby personnel. After Avilius made a swift, curt hand gesture the Sergeant only nodded in consent and gave a quick salute.

“Alright Charlie, stand by and don’t fuck anything up. Scenay, Lee, Cooper, you’re with the Sergeant Major.”

____

In front of the Shard, which was one of the tallest buildings in New Caprica. The Provisional Government was meeting behind some highly secure checkpoints. In front of the Shard itself, concrete redoubts and armed security watched the streets carefully. A pair of New Caprica Police officers with a bomb sniffing dog went about each vehicle that was passing through the checkpoints. Oscar company however were allowed to proceed, considering that from the initial checkpoint into the Borough to the Shard itself they were under armed escort from a pair of repurposed Tech Con technicals.

As the men disembarked from their convoy, a young blonde woman in a fairly nice white suit jacket, jeans, andd a pair of high heels was slowly making her way towards the Military convoy. To the untrained eye she appeared to be nothing more than a regular civilian, if she wasn't flanked by a pair of New Caprica Police officers, and Administrator Cowen.

The woman first made her way to the Sergeant, before extending her hand.

"So you're the men that have been providing us with much needed humanitarian aid; I'm first Minister Chloe McGregor; I'm the democratically elected representative in charge of this Provisional Government. Your aid has been much appreciated, and I anticipated that we would eventually meet the saviors behind the food." She said, gesturing them into the Building.

"We have many questions, and I am sure your men are looking for a place to put their feet up for a time. We've been meaning to make contact with the higher ranking individuals in your expedition here. I'd like you to facilitate that as soon as possible." She explained.

____

Avilius extended his hand to meet the Aschen, dwarfing her own limb as an armored one shook briefly. "Battalion Command has earmarked three PERIMETER installations for the AO, figured since this one at least has a functioning government distributing aid will be easier from here." As Avilius pried the riding helmet off his his head, the three enlisted men did the same, letting their headgear hang off the back of their heads as they inspected the city and it's people around them.

"Delta here is to facilitate the installation, before we answer any of your questions there are some of our own we have to ask ... all protocol." He replied, fishing a small tablet device from a pocket and taking the larger, matte-black computer drive from Cooper. Next, after offering the black computer case to a nearby New Caprican officer, he fished out a wrinkled piece of paper and motioned that they ought to begin walking to where ever it was the Aschen intended to parlay because Connor still had a bit more of protocol.

"This is a unit of the 44th Battalion, Marine Infantry attached to the wider Exogarden Forces of the Apparatus that operate beyond the territorial sovereignty of the Interstellar Coalition: the Local Region is thereby determined to be terras nullis signum, lands without banner, until a point as so determined by the Apparatus Observation Force, to be referenced as the LROF in discussion between the Apparatus and what civilizations are to be found here."

He repeated all these words as if he had read this document to dozens of other people before, and barely seemed to miss a beat besides stopping to take a short breath. "Suffice it to say Ms. McGregor the 44th has more questions than answers." He replied, putting the wrinkled patch of letter back into his jacket pocket. "The more power we can put back into the people of the planet, the easier it will be for these states to get back on their feet -- a thousand marines can do a lot, but that's something a little out of our scope of capabilities."

____

Chloe offered a slight, but respectful nod. "Functioning is putting it lightly. We're fortunate enough that many of the people here in positions of government capability have had experience to that extent." She said, as she started towards the Shard itself.

"As you've probably heard from the other groups you've no doubt made contact with, We're 'Aschen' When in truth that label doesn't exactly apply to us anymore." Chloe said, walking with the Sergeant Major up the steps towards the Shard.

"Everyone you see here was once a citizen of the United Aschen Empire; a banner you will see a lot more of the longer you hang around this region of space." She said, as a New Caprica Police officer opened the front doors for them.

"Here you will find refugees, political enemies, heretics, opposition, and general disgruntled citizenry whom have been disillusioned by both the Imperial Aschen Government, and the Terran National Government. We've opted to make our own path." She explained, as they approached yet another security checkpoint.

"For your safety and ours, we ask you check your weapons here. They will be returned to you once you leave the secure area of this building." She said, gesturing to a young man clad in a mismatched uniform.

____

"The Exogarden's been traipsing around this patch of space for nearly a year and a half and hasn't come across half the civilizations we're hearing whispers of. A lot of them are already gone by the time we find a terrestrial planet." Avilius replied, following the request without a sign of disagreement as he unleashed the M-18A5 from the sling across his chest, handing it off. As they saw their NCO, the other marines moved to do the same: albeit begrudgingly.

After three assault rifles, one GPMG, four carbines, five sidearms and at least a dozen hand grenades had been handed over the Avilius kept the marines moving along with their Aschen hosts. "Looks like you people are running from just about what everyone else in the Garden is running away from."

____

As each weapon was checked in the secure area, they would be securely stored in a large gun safe behind the counter. As each weapon was checked, a tag was handed to each of the Marines so they could claim their weapons as they left.

Each of them were also handed a visitors pass, and Chloe gestured them all towards a large elevator.

The elevator ride was long, towards the penthouse office suite of the Shard that towered over a burning Westeria City. It stood defiant as a symbol of Aschen enginuity, and New Caprican Defiance.

Once inside the office, a large table was laid out before them, with Hors De'ouvres and an assortment of Aschen ethnic treats. Chloe found herself at the end of the large oval shaped table, with seats for the Marines, she cleared her throat.

"Let's get to the meat of the matter, Gentlemen. You had questions, lay them on me." She said, pouring herself a glass of water.

____

Avilius and the three marines walked with the woman to her office, the Sergeant Major being the only one to take a seat. While the marines remained standing, they were close at the table as well: not out of any particular duty like the Sergeant Major with the intricacies of alien contact, but rather the hosted assortments. With the reality that these men had been eating out of foil bags, treats were never the kind to be passed up: the life of the enlisted men detailed exquisitely, even thousands of lightyears from the Garden.

“There is a protocol in the Exogarden for new civilizations to be given one of three offers.” Avilius began, leaning back to fish that tiny handheld tablet out of his pocket and lay it on the desk. The sleek computer seemed to be built around, or in modularity to, a ruggedized hard-drive of some sort: the oblique, metallic material seeming to supply the functions of what would be plastics, circuitry and alloy without any apparent inner mechanics. The lack of any visible “port” with which to even interact with whatever might be stored within another quandary as well.

Anyone less curious about the origins and mechanism of the device would only notice the rugged sword emblazoned on the face of the drive. “Scenay, I need Options A and C.” Avilius replied as he felt up and down his fatigues.

A young woman in olive drab and mud-stained exoskin took two similar devices from a rucksack of another marine, too busy sampling all he could from a plate he had requisitioned. Upon further inspection, the faux pas was that the plate was actually a ballistic insert taken from the marine’s fatigues. “And what about HUN sir?”

“Cooper, quit stuffing your gut and sit on it.” Avilius replied bluntly, taking the two drives from the Lance Corporal. As he organized them accordingly the responsible PFC, Cooper, licked his fingers of any last trace he had been eating. Giving the ballistic plate one last shake too, he slid it back into place with a quick motion and then unshouldered his rucksack. Retrieving a two-piece of set of what appeared to be a battalion-level comms device, discernable only due to the scratchy brandishing across it’s rugged metal, Cooper then proceeded to sit on top of the device with a wired receiver pressed at his ear.

“The Exogarden is too far beyond the territories of our farthest colonies, and with enemies both foreign and domestic there is no hope of establishing lasting contact with civilizations to empower a united defense of humanity.” He said, laying another device out besides the one. In appearance no different, yet instead decorated with a rudimentary olive branch. The third he laid down, bearing a shield, intricate artistry depicting it as something almost savage, uncivilized. “Without such we must make those three choices ourselves, albeit hundreds of years before we are even talking here.”

“By the time your races are ready to fight the forces aligned against humanity’s very existence we will already be gone.” Avilius finished, softly motioning to the first drive he had set down, war. “There is a rough and incomplete three million year history of warfare in the Garden, three thousand civilizations that we have discovered hundreds, thousands, millions, billions of years after their death. Our chapters are literally nine, ten pages long.” He said, stopping briefly to take a sip of water before continuing.

“But we’ve destroyed thousands more in barely several million years of evolution.”

He let the statement settle for a time, the other marines ambivalently unaware of any striking tension, before indicating to the second drive. “There is a rough and incomplete assortment of the galaxies’ knowledge, several billion years of it.” He replied, a metaphorical welcoming into the elite (and ever shrinking) fraternity of interstellar powers. Then, he finally gestured to the last.

“This, is enough knowledge to establish a permanent, sustainable civilization -- “

“That way you can hide better.” Lee interjected, also chewing rather obnoxiously at one savoury egg dish. Avilius gave the Private a curt wave, before picking up the conversation and avoiding any sort of explanation.

“Now, there are three questions.”

____

Chloe listened silently and intently to the presentation before her. Her blue eyes scanned across the various devices, the demeanor of the Sergeant and the Marines that were alongside him. Her slender fingers clasped a fried cheese curd, dipping it in a Tzatziki sauce, she then slipped it into her mouth.

Everything the Sergeant was presenting seemed to be on such a massive scale, far beyond New Caprica, far beyond the Aschen Empire.

"You're Scatterrans." Chloe said curtly, recognizing the larger frames, the insignia, everything.

"You're just not the same Scatterrans the Aschen Empire decided to get into bed with." Chloe said flatly.

She paused for several minutes to listen to the Sergeant continue, before she spoke up, perhaps playing her hand as to just how much she knew about the state of affairs in the Galaxy.

"You refer to an entity known as the Collective. At least that's what I was able to discern from Imperial Communications. A seemingly insurmountable foe." She said, looking at the folders. "So you intend to give us this knowledge to establish a permanent and sustainable civilization? We're just a city-state on some backwater planet. But, I will answer these three questions." She said, pouring herself a glass of water.

"Lay them on me."

____

“They’ve been the boogeymen your own races have been worrying about since you first put a stick on fuckin’ fire, minister.” Connor said as she finished, taking another slow drink until putting the glass down. “Now in this day and age, I don’t expect an educated woman -- or educated people like yourselves, to believe what is essentially an apocalypse theory.” He said, leaning his arms across his chest.

"But these three questions are for that.” He said, indicating to the three devices on the desk in front of him. “How long has your civilization existed?” The Sergeant Major moved forward onto his elbows, gloved hands raised to his nose. “How many of your own kind has it killed since then?”

“And finally, how many other races?”

____

Chloe frowned, before she looked around.

"You're going to have to be a little specific, But I'm going to assume you refer to Aschen Civilization as a whole." She said, taking a breath. "Unfortunately I've slept through that part of history class, but the Aschen have existed as a civilization in one form or another for the last... ten, twenty thousand years? But we've found evidence of continuity of civilization going back hundreds of thousands of years." She said, frowning realizing she was not only speaking on behalf of New Caprica, but the Aschen people as a whole.

"We've been colonizing the stars for the last fifteen thousand years, that much I know. But I won't lie to you, we've had help. A Race called the Alterans uplifted us from an industrialized society to a spacefaring one." Chloe explained.

"As for killing our own kind, you'll have to be more specific, in order for me to answer your question accurately." She said, addressing the third question next.

"As for other races, the Aschen have always been isolationist, Xenophobic if you will. We have conquered a handful of alien civilizations, but the Aschen as a people are isolationist; unless you count this planet." Chloe said, heaving a sigh.

"Our leaders in one form or another have always sought to bring this world under Aschen Control; as you can see... it hasn't exactly worked out for them."

____

Cooper pulled the receiver away from his ear, looking over his shoulder at Sergeant Major Avilius. "What do I tell HUN, sir?"

"Responsum est sibi quasi coaequatum, Cooper." He replied to the marine, who then began to relay an intricate code of words, letters and numbers through to the receiver in a hushed tone. "We had been trying for the past six centuries to bring the whole hemisphere of the galaxy under our control." He said, indicating first to the Interstellar flag on his chest before then motioning at the New Caprican imagery. "It doesn't work."

"Now, one of these is for you. Once you make a decision, your people will be held to it: as ours will be held to our end. If you want war, we'll give you war. Peace? We'll work side by side for peace." He said, letting his eyes fall onto the last one. "But no one will think lesser if you choose to hide -- it's a scary galaxy out there, sometimes that's all that can be done."

____

"The People of New Caprica want peace, but understand that we're still a young nation, expansion will be a necessary evil." Chloe replied. "The old Tech Con quarter, and a few other districts in this city will need to be brought under our control before we can consider a long lasting peace." She said.

Slowly, she reached for the device with the olive branche emblazoned upon it.

"Any decisions New Caprica makes in regards to this affair will need to be put to a vote. My word on this means little."

____

“The votes and the people matter little in the books of history, First Minister.” Avilius said, watching the woman take the device and giving a courteous bow: despite the vastness of space and time the Sergeant Major agreed with his fellow man. “What matters is such a distinguished individual to take upon the shoulders the will of those people. That is what is remembered in history.”

“Marines of the 44th battalion are in the process of establishing a Watchline across the city -- ground sensors and installations that could further stabilize the city. It is a free reign out there, and whomever brings security to this city will have their claim to it.” The Sergeant Major said, putting two hands around the cup of water in front of him. “We call it the PERIMETER, and it is part of the same system that protects many of the worlds in the Garden.”

____

Chloe held up the Quantum drive that she had chosen, inspecting it closely for a moment. "We don't have the technology to interface with this device. That technology is over there." She said, pointing out the window towards the dilapidated Tech Con Tower.

"With our own domestic security under control, we can confidently reclaim more of this city, and restore services and security." She said, standing up from her spot.

"Is there anything further we needed to discuss, or should i allow you to return to your duties?"

____

The Sergeant Major nodded calmly as he watched the woman choose, silently agreeing with her before he returned to the subject of the 44th Battalion. "Oscar company will be overseeing the pacification of this city -- Westeria, and it's annexes, which I'm assuming include the confines of New Caprica. We have no intention of maintaining or re-instating the previous political order, or facilitating the violent establishment of a new one." Avilius remarked, taking a gloved hand up to one pouch on his tactical vest and withdrawing a cylindrical device and held it from the bottom. "Battalion Command will use the Watchline to observe and facilitate rebuilding, first on this continent and then the rest of the planet."

"Rest assured though, First Minister, that as a military force we will be the authority overseeing the planet. The problems of your city, Westeria, and the planet itself is also the 44th's problem. So I should ask you, ma'am, where and what are the most prominent threats?"

____

"You'll have to coordinate that with Administrator Cowen, he's in charge of overseeing the military activities within the city." She said, gesturing to an older man in a well pressed Imperial Military uniform, with the black and white armband of the New Caprican People's Liberation Army.

"I'm in charge of coordinating all military activities here in New Caprica." He said, unraveling a large map on the table, with several neighborhoods highlighted with red.

"These districts here are crime hotspots, we have them quarentined, but we lack the forces to completely pacify the region. The most important part?" He said, circling the Tech Con District.

"Securing the district here, is our utmost priority."

Nina was uneasy as her APC approached New Caprica, not because she was dealing with Aschen again. They were fine, and weren't exactly in a position to start anything.

It was the known Bratva gangsters hanging around at every corner, watching from every window. She was with a small team, Team Ripper was split up while they dealt with pacifying the city.

Making it safer to live.

"Coming up on a checkpoint." The driver said, "Alright, weapons hot. These vors are dangerous, warn the New Capricans to stay on their toes."

Concrete jersey barriers, Lynx IFVs, sandbags, and makeshift guard towers mounted on top of broken down box trucks signed the limits of one of hundreds of checkpoints leading into New Caprica. Much of the wall had been finished in this sector, demolished buildings marred the towering supercrete wall.

The wall itself was roughly thirty meters high, dull grey supercrete bathed in sunlight.

Those at the checkpoint were more organized, time had been relatively kind to the New Capricans as they slowly holed up in their district of the city, urban camouflage accented with a bright red armband, balaclavas, and an assortment of disruptor rifles, gauss rifles, and whatever weapons they could scavenge showed these men and women meant business.

Once the APC approached the gate, a red light flashed, and the gate guard stepped down from his tower.

The APC's back door opened up immediately after it came to a stop, Nina climbing out to address the guard.

"Sekova, Nina, from the Invictus. We're here to invite you along on a supply run." She explained, "Anyone who wants to come along, they can follow us. There's safety in numbers."

"Especially with those vors hanging around."

"Supply run?" The Gate guard asked, before he pulled out his radio.

"We have Invictus at the gate, talking about a supply run of some kind." He said, keying up the radio and waiting for a reply.

"Where you guys headed? We might be able to lend a few trucks."

"The plan is from here to Van Leugen, and then from there to Windcrest and back." Nina told the guard, "Though, we'll be splitting up part of the convoy in Van Leugen." She continued.

"Medicine and the like are coming straight back here. Can't take too long with them and can't risk them being shot down in the air if we use ships or aircraft."

Back