Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Kittsy and Verse

Velle's Beginning.
"One.. two... jump!"

Interstellar jet-lag failed to take charge of the tiny female that made quick work of the iron steps she was meant to descend from, opting to rebel the rules that continued to resonate from the open carrier behind her. A few short leaps was all it took for her to greet the comfort of home beneath her, a satisfied heave of air expelling from her chest as she moved past crowds of passerby's, all-too eager to be rid of the traveling life, if only for a little while. Despite the trouble that kept itself cleverly hidden within the details of her last line of duty, Velle felt an invigorating energy envelope her as she made it to the outside world, the exuberant sun casting an all-too welcoming light directly into her field of vision. The silver glasses that framed her doll face were then gone in an instant, folded neatly in one hand as the other moved to comb through the erratic violet bangs licking her forehead.

The young prodigy had a few destinations in mind before heading home; Documents, first and foremost, needed to be signed and returned to the distributor in question. Second, she needed to meet with...

A terrifying growl ripped through her body, starting from her smooth belly and working its roaring way into her unsuspecting eardrums. Velle stopped in her tracks, limbs moving to cradle her abdomen in sudden agony. Everything around her seemed to vanish in that moment- Buildings melted into gray puddles on the ground, the periwinkle sky bled black and harbored no stars. Everything was void and unimportant compared to the feeling that now rocked her to her core.

"I've not had anything to eat since last evening.." The honey-dripped soprano that sang from her lips crackled with a ravenous hunger, meshing a wicked harmony with the growling that continued to make its presence known. She could practically feel steaming soup as it sank to her stomach, revel in the umami of a hot, home-cooked meal. And she knew just the place to indulge in!
Skittery footsteps planned a route long before she could do it herself, taking her through the large city's inner workings to her tiny corner of delight. Velle soon found herself within one of many plazas harbored within Westeria, though this niche by far was favored.

Footfalls stooped short a couple of feet in front of the dainty entrance to the restaurant, with the femme taking a moment to soak in a breath that offered up the scent of the meal she would soon devour. After passing through the ringing door, she immediately sat within a small cornered booth, a seat that was meant for a regular like herself. A waitress of short stature strode towards her, eager to take down Velle's order.

~Approximately 45 minutes later.~

The once clean tabletop was now littered with various folders and individual files pertaining to the work that kept the young Kanahashi busy, each of them strategically situated around her lunch-ware. One hand kept a firm grip on a pink drink set firm at her mouth as she kept her gaze focused on her work. Lost in her work, she was content to give absolutely no attention to her surroundings, even as customers occupying the restaurant began to rise from their seats, cautiously peering into the large windows that dominated the front wall.

"Is that.. oh my god, that's fire!"
Velle had no time to digest the words that sputtered out of someone's lips before a surge of piercing light scraped against the glass, followed by an earth-shattering explosion as the windows were no more. Screams mangled the scene as people began to scatter like fearful ants, pushing one another for the safety of their own lives. In a startle, the amethyst female sprung from her seat, important documents taking the back burner as she fought against civilians to make her way outside.

Two fingers quickly pushed the bridge of her glasses closer to her nose as she took in the situation flaming before her. And flaming it was, the center of the plaza alight in chaos. Velle wasted no time in coming to aid those whom had trouble escaping, quickly helping the fallen to their feet and to safety.

____

Jeremy Reigns had been in Westeria for a few weeks, now, leaving only when he deemed it necessary. This world without Greg was dull and lifeless, far worse than Wing City had been before. Many hadn't noticed the difference in the city, the new atmosphere, the aesthetic changes along the skyline, and the general population at that. Knowing no one, and still remaining in mostly utter disbelief at life around him, he remained locked in his ruddy apartment day after day, night after night, leaving only when he had to for restocking groceries. Not even his habit was much of a habit anymore. Highs weren't worth the fallout after, and burning through his entire stash wasn't worth the little money he had left. The cross-over had cost him his job. Somehow this apartment had been paid forward for the next thirty six years from some crimson haired man who was all about charitable work. So with no bills to pay on his residence, he was capable of living for sometime with the money he had stashed under his mattress. Ten thousand in cash, because he hadn't trusted it to the banks. In this instant, it was a surprisingly ironic stroke of luck that he hadn't.

As he sat huddled in his bed he realized, though, that he needed to restock on some food necessities today. He didn't want to leave. He didn't want to welcome that twisted amalgamation of fiction, inconsistency, and absolute madness into his sights again, it meant admitting, once again, that it was all very, very, real. As he rose from his bed, he stumbled some, in a weakened state. No light, hardly any food, and little drink over the past three weeks had left him frail. It wasn't much better that his time in Wing City had thinned him, either. His initial arrival there had been met with much hilarity, his persona rather intact, despite the crazed amount of disbelief he held.

He crossed the floor, digging into his dirty clothes to find an outfit that manged to stink the least, laundry having gone undone since he'd crossed, and found himself an outfit. A few sprays of Axe and a spritz of cologne had him smelling mostly decent. A cigarette pack with a collection of spliffs was promptly shoved into his pocket before he snagged his wallet and a a handful of twenties from the roll of bills he had stashed before he left his apartment.

His wandering around the city had brought him to an unfrequented plaza, one he only ever truly ventured through one previous time in his bid to understand this new city. Glancing around it, he ushered forth a sigh before adapting a visage that was hard to determine as sincere or merely a facade. His eyes caught sight of a nearby diner and he sauntered his way in before taking a seat a few booths in, tucked in a corner where the lighting was dim and he was much to himself. Though he held a smile, eyes bloodshot from the few he'd already smoked, one could see the deep seeded troubles he had. "Uh, yeah. So like, hey dude. This. This here. I'll take that. Can't pronounce the stuff, though. Looks hella bangin', though." He commented, offering a cheesey grin of sorts. Despite his displeasure with his current life, he still could appreciate food when stoned. It was a luxury he'd never get tired of. His situation, grim, though came to mind and he fell into a fit of giggles before suddenly burying his face into his hands in lament.

He'd missed the girl that had taken her place at the window what had to have been fifteen minutes, or so, prior to him, but when he caught sight of her, his brow rose in acute interest. She was pretty attractive, but unbelievably young in appearance. It was a shame, too. He'd have rocked that body if it were about five years older, or so. Shame. He took the coming time to twiddle his fingers, play paper football with the table condiments and napkins, and whatever else it was he could think of to occupy his time until his food was ready, but it was as he began to doodle on his napkins with a pen that the chaos sprung up. As people began to yammer, and a sudden cry of fire echoed out, Jeremy's eyes widened and he leaned out from his booth to see the commotion. There were fires, alright. Sliding out of his seat, he swiftly crossed the floor, in all his stoned glory, with intents to press himself to the glass. As he came within feet, though, the explosive reaction that shattered the windows swiftly knocked him flat, spraying him with glass and embedding some of it in his outfit and a few pieces in his cheek.

"Ughhhn..." He groaned, rolling onto his side and staggering to his feet. His ears were ringing and he was in a seriously intense stupor, a few waves of vertigo hitting him like a brick upside the head. Staggering around, he realized he'd been the only one left int he establishment. How long had he been out? A few seconds? Minutes? Stumbling his way out, he cleared the glass from his outfit and picked out the pieces that had lodged into his cheek before wandering around outside to take in the view. The plaza wasn't just in flames, the entire city was. A winged nightmare could be spotted in the distance, as could jets and other minuscule projectiles. Smoke billowed into towering plumes and he found his mind a whir once again as panic gripped him. "Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck. I can't handle this shit. I should be in Arizona right now! Toking up and sippin' a Forty with Greg while blasting Flood faggots in Halo. Jesus fucking Christ!" He spat out, digging his fingertips into his hair and holding his head tight. He'd had enough of this shit. It was too much for a guy like him to handle. Too much for someone who couldn't acclimate to the bizarre and outlandish reality that was The Omniverse.

Catching sight of the smokin' young girl he'd seen earlier, he caught sight of yet another flaming sphere of slag descending from the heaven's as the creature made another round. He wasn't a hero, but he could tell already that it was bound to strike the vicinity and if they didn't clear out now they wouldn't live. Taking a deep breath he took off at a dead sprint, whistling with a few fingers betwixt his lips as loud as he could. She seemed to be helping someone, but it looked as if they'd taken serious damage to their leg. A few different outcomes crossed his mind, but none where all three of them lived. "Hey, hey hey! Run, run! Fucking run!" He spat out, hollering at the top of his lungs. Reaching out for her, he did the best he could to grab at her arm and drag her along, forcefully if he had to. "It's us two, or all three of us die! Say a prayer when it's done..." He spit out, doing as best he could to drag her from harms way and over what appeared to be a concrete ornament foundation that housed potting soil for the plants that grew in it. Roughly about the time he clambered over it, her in tow hopefully, was the time the flaming sphere of brimstone struck the ground, the cries of the helpless individual who didn't make it snuffed out with the resulting cacophonous impact. Again his ears rang for a brief moment, but soon came to as he lingered there.

"You gonna be aight?" He questioned, his voice a trembling mess as he fumbled into his pack for a spliff. He could hardly grab it, though, as his hand continued to quake with the force of a thousand terrified critters. Having stuck it in his mouth, he lit it before taking a huge rip of it, courteously blowing the smoke off to the side. He just wasn't cut out for this...

____

Day after day, millions of people -willing and unwilling- lose their lives to the Gods above as millions more are joyously brought into the world. It was the simple, common cycle of life and death, something Velle was aware of at a young age. People are born, they live out their life- whether it's full of vigor and wonder or perhaps, a boring whelp of an existence, and when they're old and petrified.. They die. The soul gently caresses its body into a final slumber before slipping away to join countless others in their one last "goodnight."

But not like this. Innocent people should not be taken from this world in such a manner as to be... incinerated. Just the thought of it sent her nerves into a frenzy. She could have done more to help save those lives. Sightstones of a mauve hue still reflected within them the hateful orange shimmer of destruction, replaying over and over the nail-grazing sound of just plain old murder. And that is what it was. This was no natural disaster, no- Velle had seen her unfortunate share of earthquakes and twisters at her young age. This atrocity of a situation could have only been initiated by a harbinger of annihilation. But what exactly? She hadn't even bothered to scope out the initiator.. This girl, she has been so reckless! It's a wonder that she herself even made it out alive.

It was then that Velle finally noticed the other being that shared occupation within the small, currently safe vicinity. A male, older than herself, it seemed as if he was rattled as well with the events that were taking place. Her confident gaze searched his own for some sign of inconsistency in her character, but the sudden stinging of fresh tears mottled her vision. For a split moment, her mind worked itself to conjure up a foggy memory. A small girl, likened to Velle in appearance, clutching a leg each of two powerful, standing figures that seemed to be protecting the little whelp; A sturdy, dark and tall male garbed in smoky hues confidently situated beside a stunning female companion of ebony and onyx. Both presences sent a feeling of comfort and longing into Velle's chest, but also allowed the welling tears and more to roll down and stain her ashen cheeks. A deep breath forced her voice into action underneath an attempt to also prevent a cough from sputtering out; She must have inhaled smoke. Ignoring the inquiry directed at her, she chose to bite back.

"You could have saved more. There.. There were children there! You could have lifted three of them instead of me! They had no one to protect them, and they just.." No more words followed a crackling of her voice, and she chose to stop speaking. As much as she craved to challenge his choice of good justice, the force within her that drove her to put others before herself cried out in failure. She chose to remain silent for moments longer to compose herself, albeit it was a mission that proved more difficult that presumed.

Sleeves were used to wipe her eyes, freeing her thick lashes from the dampness that weighed them down. Once she was sure her eyes would remain dry, Velle moved to carefully clean the glasses that adorned her face, inspecting them for any potential crack or dent- To her relief, none. She repositioned them upon herself before giving the male another glance, her gaze honing in on the rolled...

Expert fingers quickly moved to remove it from his person, with hopes to smush it under her heel. What a nasty, gaudy habit he occupied himself with!

"What do we do from here? What... what was the source of those fireballs?" She hoped her inquiries could be answered by the man, for she had absolutely no clue as to how to approach what was going on. How was the rest of the city coping, if her small circle of peace had been rocked so quickly?

"And, before I let it slip by.. Thank you. Uhm, my name is Velle. Velle Kanahashi."

____

All he'd heard in return was how futile his action had been, how it had instead cost the lives of those apparently worth more than her. How he'd been a failure at doing whatever he could to save an innocent. How he was insufficient. Her silence was met with his eyes welling some. In all this madness, in all that he'd endured, the last thing he needed to hear was that he'd not done enough. That he'd failed at the one thing he could do in this moment, when the world and everything in it, was against him. He was a normal individual. A human. From Arizona. No powers. All he could do was help others, and try to stem the chaos in the area with whatever mortal means he could. Instead he was met with a chiding remark.

He remained silent as she ruined his only chance at calming his anxiety. Watching as she drove it into the concrete with her heel, his nerves again began to overwhelm him. He couldn't function like this. Every nerve was alive and stricken with fear to the point of vicious shaking. He couldn't grasp his thoughts, he couldn't grasp the situation around him. Without that haze, he had no clarity...as strange as it was to say.

"...I...I dunno. This place is different than it was a week or so ago. If it even was that long ago." He began. "Ain't the Wing City I knew...then again, this fuckin' world is a clusterfuck anyway. Ain't nothin' ever the way it should be. Like a goddamn nightmare I can't wake up from." He continued. "I'm from Arizona. It's been like. Three years, now. And it still don't make a damn bit of sense." He rattled off and rose to his feet, having caught her name. "Jeremy Reigns. I'm sorry about them kids. I acted as swiftly as I could and I saw you first. That's life. Especially in this god forsaken place."

Reaching into his pack again, he couldn't help but pull out another and light it. "And if you want me...at my best, you're just gonna have to deal with this. I can't get my shit around this fuckin' place. Flyin' creatures. Zombies. Fuckin' men who can lift buildings with their minds. I'm...I'm not." He stammered, falling into a mild panic attack at the thought of it all. "I just can't handle this shit unless I'm stoned, okay?" He spat out, taking a drag and holding it in. The burn of his throat nearly brought him to choke, but the sensation of it hitting his lungs was like lifting a weight off of his shoulders. The reaction was nearly instantaneous as his pleasure center unleashed the feel good sensation. Exhaling it through his nostrils, he looked around.

"I s'pose we look for people who may be hurt. I ain't got no medical know-how, but I think if I need to I can make a tourniquet."

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Script

It was at times like this, hurtling out of control through the air as the shockwave from an explosion to his right hurled him from his path of flight, that Sky wondered why he still lived in this city. All it had ever given him was misery. Whether it was a dangerous drug habit, an exploitative dealer or friends that quite literally vanished off the face of the planet, life just ... had it out for him.

Maybe it was something to do with his heritage. Maybe there really was some god up there that was mad at what he represented, doing its best to dick him over with every passing moment.

As the shock of the initial blast faded, the half-angel desperately flapped his wings in an attempt to regain control. The angle was all wrong, though, and he could scarcely slow himself as he plummeted towards the plaza below. He supposed he should be thankful he made a point of never flying too high for this exact reason. He'd already been on his way down because of the rain, as well.

Not far from Jeremy and Velle's cover, the teenager's cries likely became audible just as he spiralled overhead and straight through the branches of one of the trees at the plaza's centre. His yelling cut off as series of rustling snaps sounded, where branches broke and leaves were scattered. A moment later he shot out the other side and the rest of the way down, landing with a splash in the waters of the fountain.

One feathered wing was twisted at an odd angle, and he was fairly sure he was moderately concussed from one of the branches catching him in the side of the head hard enough to draw blood, but apart from that... as far as he could tell, he'd survived the fall.

Of course, there was the drowning part still to deal with. That would be embarrassing. Surviving the two-storey fall at high speeds only to drown in a few feet of fountain water? He should probably do something about that, something before the darkness at the edges of his vision expanded any further.

Should probably... swim... kick ... something?

Maybe it was the blow to his head, or smoke inhalation, or maybe more was broken than he thought, but his struggles weren't as vigorous as one might have expected from someone drowning. It was getting easier and easier just to lie there... And let it go dark...

as written by Kittsy

She took his confessions to heart, as if each word that slipped from his shaken mumurs were tiny needles that injected her with guilt. Yes, that is what she felt- The lilac hue of her gaze dulled towards the ground as the stigma leaked through her mind and soul. Velle felt.. well, she just felt bad. This young man spoke honest, and he preached the very thing that she devoted herself to practice; Life must be saved and preserved, even at the cost of your own. A mantra that held true, that could give even the most lost man a purpose. This one, Jeremy, he was only doing as she was. In the moment of chaos and turmoil, he chose, rather than run, to save lives. The Kanahashi just hadn't expected for her own self to be the one that required rescuing.

With a small nip against her bottom lip and a quick readjustment of her glasses, she moved to face the male, sheepishly moving her eyes to meet his own. Velle was not too prideful to give apologies where they were do, but in this instance, she felt as if an apology just wasn't enough. A quick "sorry" does not make up for much in the situation of life and death, a word that would be offered up the same if she had just stomped on his foot.

"I am sorry, Jeremy. It wasn't my intention to make you feel that way. I... am grateful for what you did for me, because if it weren't for you, it wouldn't be just those civilians that lost their lives. I shouldn't have barked at you as I did." Her voice was gentle, soft, a song that hardly rose above a quiet melody that sang for forgiveness. Hands moved to stroke the metal cuffs that adorned her wrists, an absent-minded gesture for herself. "I think we can start looking for those that are in need of assistance along the outer areas of the plaza. The inner circle might be a little too dangerous, and many people will have already fled..--"

Abrupt and out of nowhere, Velle caught the sound of shrieks coming from the place she had just deemed pointless to tread- The center of the plaza. It was the cries of someone in danger, but someone alive and in need of help. Her brain began to go work itself crazy, tossing between the ideas of ignoring the poor person, or tossing away her pre-inhibitions to give saving someone another go.
And with one last, quick thought, the violet female leaned down to give her savior a tug of his hand, as if coercing him into joining her on this rescue mission- But she did not wait for his reaction before bolting away from the planthouse that served as their temporary shelter, adrenaline guiding her light frame over and about the debris decorating the warzone. It was only a minute or so before she had successfully worked her way to the central area, her chest burning and legs screaming for a moment of rest and a fresh gulp of air. But her body went ignored as she scanned the area as hastily possible, sightstones locking onto the fountain that still seemed to stand proud amongst demolition. Within the fountain's pool, she met sight with a.. wing? A mangled protrusion that egged her to make her way to the fountain's edge, only to be startled by the image of yet another male lying within the discolored water.

Sure hands found their way around his frame, making fast work of yanking him out of the water and downwards to rest his torso upon her lap.

"Hey, hey! Can you hear me? Oh please, don't be dead already.." Velle pressed thin fingers against the ascended's throat for a moment before leaning down to press her ear against his chest, dampening the unnatural lock of white hair tied behind it.

as written by Verse

Inhaling yet another, long, drag, Jeremy funneled the smoke out of his nostrils as if her were a dragon of sorts, reveling in the feeling he'd gained. He'd already cheefed most of the spliff by now, hardly actually taking his time with it. Glancing over toward her, cognac eyes glimmering in the wake of surrounding flames in the area. His figure was bathed in the warm glow of the fires that dotted the plaza but it was very obvious that a chill had continued to work its way up his spine.

"It's aight, I'll live. I just had an episode. This ain't the time to tiddle around and spill our feelin's though, should pry work on getting others to safety if we can..." He murmured, though made sure he'd been audible enough to hear over the possible noise in the area. "I figure there might be some..." He began, only to find himself cut off. Craning his head in the direction he'd heard the sounds of a young mans descent toward the earth, he vaguely made out what looked to be wings before the figure passed beyond the realm of vision. Snapping his attention toward Velle, he felt her hand tug at his before she immediately made her way across the large, stone, planter that they'd been taking shelter behind. A moment of lamentation overwhelmed him before he ushered in a deep breath. Finishing his spliff, he smeared the contents of the lingering roach along the surface of the planter. "Even a normal guy like me can make a difference. May not be Arizona, but everyone still has a soul. They deserve to live, right?" He questioned himself, silently answering it as he rose and tumbled over the top of the planter.

As he made his way around the flaming pools that dotted the landscape, he came to a halt, spilling over into the fountain by accident, only to crawl his way over toward the guy. Checking the figure over, he, unwittingly, took hold of a mangled wing, lifting it some. "...The guy's an Angel?" He murmured, only to gingerly let the wing droop back into the water. "Is he breathing? We can't let an Angel die on us, yo. Fuckin' God will strike us down where we stand, ain't no shittin' about that. I'm in enough trouble with the big man as it is, I suspect..." He muttered, watching the two of them. "That's if Greg was tellin' the truth..."

Of course, he'd only truly be in trouble if Greg's recollection of things had been correct and that they'd made a deal with the Devil...for success, and the most hi-fi, dank, weed imaginable, both to smoke and to deal. Jeremy truly thought it had been an abduction by Aliens that had landed them in Wing City that day. Neither would ever truly know, though.

as written by Script

There was silence from the winged boy for several long moments. The beating of his heart pounded in his ears, drowning out all other sounds, and his vision remained so spotty that he was barely aware of being pulled from the water.

Then the world came rushing back, and with it came pain.

Sky breathed a gasping breath, jerking forwards with a cry of pain as Jeremy moved his broken wing. On reflex, he tried to pull it away, but the movement only brought further spikes of pain. Panic dictated his response and he clawed at the air on instinct before his vision cleared and he realised where he was.

Still spluttering and coughing up water, the angelic teen recovered enough to utter a single word with a croaking voice.

"Fuck."

as written by Kittsy

Inner panic began to settle in Velle's mind, working itself between fear of this.. -freaking Angel of all things- dying in her lap, and the outrageous exclamation by her temporary partner of being smited where she knelt. Neither sounded appealing to the female, but all she could do was stare down at the ethereal being in awe, unsure if she should begin chest compressions- Maybe he was waterlogged.. maybe silently choking. The subtle, wet thumping from within him was a good sign, but it would not stay that way for long.
'Get a grip, chick, he's gonna die if you don't do something..!!' She wrenched her head back up and pushed her thick hair out of her face, clearing her workspace to attempt clear the water from his lungs.

As she put her tiny hands together to rest among his chest, the boy spucked and hacked, causing the violet girl to yelp in surprise, but she quickly dismissed it to push her arms underneath him so that he might lean up, her touch being mindful of the feathered mess that should be his poor wing and his limbs that seemed to be going haywire.

Once she was sure she had propped his body up comfortably enough, she began to pay more attention to his unique appendage, studying it with a crease in her brow. She did not have any equipment on her person that could help her begin to mend it- No, that was all in the bag that she left in the now destroyed cafe. Though she was sure that the cursing that slipped from the Angel meant he wasn't in any immediate danger, infection was sure to spread if this wound wasn't treated..

"Jeremy.. Do you happen to have more, um.." How should she even ask for that kind of item? "The paper that you use for your.. hobby, do you have anymore of it?" At the very least, she could use the little squares to soak and clean any openings..
Her eyes had wandered to the celeste's face, where she noticed another wound, upon the side of his head. Velle sighed, and after making sure that one arm was enough to keep him upright, she moved the free hand to gently pry hair from the gash.

as written by Saarai and Script

The city was trying to go back to business as usual after what had happened, Ariadne's favorite coffee shop was among those trying to return to normalcy. Unfortunately for them, business slowed down dramatically.

Fortunately for Ariadne, that meant she had the tables outside all to herself. Her bodyguards, half of which weren't Invictus operatives, sat at the other tables around her.

Most notable was a young man in a black suit looming over Ariadne. He was all business, capable despite his age.

"Lars?" Ariadne asked, "Yes?" The young man responded, "We're almost done, I promise." Ariadne told Lars, "Thank you, ma'am."

____

As Ariadne and Lars spoke, the door of the coffee shop swung open. The frazzled-looking young woman at the counter glanced up as a dark-haired woman, who looked to be somewhere in her early thirties, stepped into the room. She wore a black and well-fitted suit, and carried what appeared to be a laptop bag at her side. She was the very picture of an ambitious businesswoman. Her eyes quickly fell on Ariadne - glassy and oddly vacant - and she stepped over with a smile.

"Ms. Kale, I presume?" she queried, "It's good to meet you. I'm glad you were able to contact me."

She sat, setting the case on the ground beside her. "Let's do business."

At the counter, the girl occasionally glanced up with a look of casual boredom on her face, flicking through a magazine, likely wondering if the newcomer was going to order anything and interrupt her reading.

____

"The sooner the better." Ariadne said, limply waving a hand towards Lars. The young man stepped forward, "We need to know that you can handle the work given to you, it shouldn't be very difficult considering the advantageous position we'll be providing to you." Lars said.

"We would also enjoy knowing that after this, there will be no purposeful contact with my employer after your job is done." He continued.

Ariadne raised her hand again, this time a server approaching the table. She placed a picture down, Ariadne pushing it towards the woman across from her.

"This is your query." Lars informed the woman.

The picture was of a man seemingly in his late 30s, his hair long and white, and an eyepatch covering his left eye.

"We can tell you where he will be soon. We're waiting for that information."

____

The woman looked down at the image for a moment, before nodding. "Is he to suffer an 'accident', or would you prefer it to be obvious it was murder?"

She paused. "And what will you take as confirmation of my capabilities? You know of my reputation already, I presume, or you would not have contacted me."

____

Ariadne let out a big 'ahem' at the woman's words. "We would prefer it if you used a different terminology." Lars said to her, "As for your ability to perform this task for us, we just need to know more about how you work." Lars told her.

"What you use, your particular skill set, and if you have any qualms about possible collateral damage." Lars said.

"And, please, stick to the more careful terminology."

____

"Of course. My apologies - but we are alone in here. I made sure of it," the woman smiled. "As for my skillset... I wouldn't want to reveal every trick up my sleeve, but I'll tell you what you need to know. I can disguise myself unfailingly as any individual. That should more than suffice to get me close to the individual in question. I'm also skilled in interrogation. That doesn't mean torture, it means I can ... extract information, even without the cooperation of the one holding it."

She placed her hand on a napkin, then, beginning to fold it and tear it precisely as she spoke. "I can utilise convincing illusions that manipulate all of the five senses. And of course, I'm capable with most firearms as well as hand to hand combat." The napkin took on the shape of a stick figure as she worked, setting it down on the table and pressing her hand to it.

"Dance," she whispered. A few moments later, the napkin stick figure twitched and rose to its paper feet, before beginning to pirouette around on the table. She smiled, "This is one of my favourite tricks. Awakening. I can command a man's tie to constrict, or his pillow to smother. A very versatile tool."

After a moment, she touched her hand to the figure and murmured another command. "Your breath to mine." The figure fell limp. "As for collateral," she went on, "I find it messy. I prefer to avoid it, but I won't lose any sleep over it if it happens."

____

Lars looked to Ariadne, waiting for confirmation. It was clear that he didn't act unless she gave the word, or in this case, a nod or smile.

"Okay." Ariadne said, "I am very fond of your abilities, I enjoy that you are no amateur. Lucian is very... complicated." She told the woman, "Challenging." She added to make sure the point was made.

Ariadne was not going to settle for failure, so making sure that her hired hand went in knowing that a misstep could be costly was a priority.

One of Ariadne's bodyguards approached Lars, leaning in to the man to whisper something to him. "We have a location. Three hours until arrival. We also have a route. I can arrange a stop or exposure." Lars said to Ariadne, "Good." She responded.

"Make it happen. Near The Courtyard, eyes will be good for us." She ordered, Lars nodding once before he turned and walked away.

"Are you ready?" She asked the woman, "You've got time to spare. Time to prepare." Ariadne told her, "I'll make sure Lars gets you all the other relevant information you may need. Can't have you blind, can we?"

____

"Does this Lucian have any superhuman capabilities I should be aware of? I have to ask, this is a city of strange beings, after all." Of course, she herself was stranger than most by the standards of Terra, but that wasn't immediately obvious - the only oddity about the woman sat opposite Ariadne was her glassy eyes and strikingly pale skin.

"A run down on the location would be useful - in detail, preferably. What and who are likely to be in the surrounding area, the angles of approach and exit routes, that sort of thing."

She paused for thought, "Details on the man himself would also help. What sort of man is he? Paranoid, or trusting? What sort of security detail is he travelling with? What's the reason for his travel - what's he up to, so that I can predict his movements if needed?"

____

"Lucian is a warrior, one of the founders of my organization, who has seen hundreds of years of war." Ariadne told the woman,dragging a finger across the table as if she had nothing else to do with her hands.

"He can take a lot of punishment, but it's mostly his combat prowess that makes him dangerous. Avoid direct confrontation, make it quick." She said.

There was no reason to keep Lucian alive long enough to get in the way, or to raise any red flags.

"Lucian is a very blunt, outspoken Frenchman devoted to the Invictus ideal of being cultured warriors. Very old fashioned, but I expect he'll be with a big group since things are more... unstable here now." The woman continued, "He's in town for a meeting, one I am intending as well."

Lars returned as Ariadne spoke, waiting for her to finish before saying any words of his own.

"You have several different vantage points, exfil routes, and options to divert attention any way you'd like. Lucian is traveling in an armored truck from the spaceport to the Courtyard. A ten-man team is on him, all armed for heavy combat." He said, "They have guns, there's few of the Lamia, and at least one senior operative. A small gunship is following from the sky, but won't fire on the ground." Lars told the woman sitting with Ariadne.

"The streets near The Courtyard are still flooded with civilians and otherwise non-hostile entities. Many hold up in and around different buildings on Lucian's route." He added.

"Lamia being the ones who use magic, or whatever you call it." Ariadne informed the woman, "I've arranged for a local gang to create a delay. You'll know it when it happens." Lars said.

____

The woman hummed thoughtfully. "A lot of punishment - how much, exactly? Would a bullet to a vital area work, or do his capabilities extend far enough that what might end another man would be something he could recover from?"

She tilted her head in thought, "Is he expecting to be met by anyone there? Would he consider it odd if he was greeted by a known Invictus member - could such a person get close to him? And, indeed, could you get me access to such a person... who is in your eyes, expendable?"

Various different plans were forming in her mind. "With access like that, I could utilise explosives. It would be noisy, and messy - likely lots of collateral within his security - but it would most definitely suffice. Otherwise, depending on how much punishment he can take, a rifle and a good vantage point could provide a cleaner kill. Less personal, but cleaner."

She leaned back, "I'm fond of poisons and more intimate eliminations on a personal level, but given the scenario, such methods are impractical. A bomb or a bullet - it depends on how much noise you want to make."

____

Ariadne shook her head. "We can't tie any Invictus to this." She told the woman, "It's why we enlisted outside of the Invictus and our circle." Lars said, "No ties back to us." He added.

"There are ways to get close. How do you feel wearing a police uniform? And, how do you feel taking the appearance of a man? He's perfect for this, he's very expendable. A little notoriety for him is worth this." Lars said, reaching into his pocket. He grabbed a napkin with his free hand, a pen now gripped in his other once it left his pocket.

"This man." He said, writing a name down on the napkin. It was clear he didn't plan on saying it aloud.

He pushed the napkin across to the woman. 'Jacob Haley', it said. "We can provide you with pictures, but he's all over everything. We nay not need to." Lars told her.

____

"I've no qualms about impersonating the police," the woman said, "But this man - I've heard of him - I assume that he isn't one that Lucian would trust? Were I to adopt his form, would it immediately become a violent confrontation? I'd rather not get into conflict with security before I've been able to ensure the completion of the job."

____

"Our distraction should make it easier for you, as him, to blend with other law enforcement and crowds to get the job done. After that, make a show of it. We need witnesses." Lars told the woman.

"This man is very ham-fisted. Be a little dramatic, maintain something of a superiority complex until you escape." Lars added. He'd done his research on Jacob. He didn't find many redeeming qualities in the Englishman, but he had a profile.

____

"I'll be sure to smile for the cameras. In the meantime, I'll read up more on this Jacob to make sure the impersonation is believable. If you can get me a recording of his voice, that will help - otherwise I'll have to approximate it, or avoid speaking."

She paused to think for a moment, "One more clarification. You say he can take a lot of punishment. What does that mean specifically? How much ... thoroughness is necessary to ensure the job is done?"

____

Lars looked to Ariadne for an answer, she knew Lucian much better than he did.

"I've seen him shrug off a morningstar to the chest. But, he does bleed. Firearms should be sufficient, durable blades as well. He is tough, so weak materials won't stand up to him." Ariadne explained, "And, he might be wearing armor. Go for his eye." She said, pointing to her left eye.

"Lucian suffered an injury way back when, insult to injury should be sufficient if you're a good shot. It's a small target."

____

"Simple enough," the woman nodded. "Where will he be stopping? And what is the nature of your distraction, if I am permitted to know?"

____

"A few blocks north of The Courtyard." Lars told the woman, "You can't miss it." He added, "As for that diversion, you'll know it when you see it." He told her.

"Just know that it will elicit a police response. One that you can take advantage of. I advise you be ready. We'll contact you as soon as he arrives in the city."

____

The woman nodded, producing a slip of paper and a pen and scribbling down a number. "My contact number for this operation," she explained, handing the paper over.

"I'll go and make my preparations. Good doing business with you, Miss Kale."

Smiling, she rose from her seat and, in the absence of any further words from Lars or Ariadne, exited the coffee shop.

as written by Krysis and Azrican

For the moment, food and water seemed to be highest on everyone's lists for things they needed, things they were ready to trade for. It made sense, of course, but there was another school of thought, rapidly emerging among the scavenging teams in Westeria city, one that claimed that fuel was more important.

'Mobility is Life' seemed to be the motto of one of the gangs. They would have been of no importance, just a bunch of thugs and gearheads playing out their wasteland fantasies in the chaos of the broken city; Except they had enough intact weapons to arm all of them, and then increased their numbers with their successes. These 'Speed Freaks' had snowballed from there, even to the point of claiming a building with a generator in the basement as a defensible base of operations, somewhere near the Westeria Plaza.

The roar of engines and gunfire was the last things heard by several smaller, more peaceful groups. Their gear was looted, their less 'useful' possessions scattered, sometimes not event the bodies left behind when the survivors were kidnapped to be assessed later. After all, it was Valore. Humans might be the majority, but other things, other appetites, also were to be found.

Several useful finds had been made that way, from the little boy that could see in infrared, to the old lady that could cook almost anything organic into a barely palatable mush (whether the ingredients had been of good quality or not before hand). The most useful, however, was a powerful creature with long red hair and a touch that could purify water. Sadly, that being was not of a sort that would join in the chaos, and tended to be more of the sort that would protect innocent folk rather than rob them blind.

That creature, usually appearing as a human female, was bound about the wrists with a strip of burlap inscribed with her name. Though the cloth was frayed and dirty (though with unusual artifacts sewn to it), she was powerless to undo the spell written by one of the leaders of the gang. The muscles in her slender arms flexed helplessly, holding on to the child that was encircled there in place behind her. They were on the precarious perch on the back of some sort of modified pick-up truck, loaded with two water tanks. It was sliding at break-neck speeds through the streets of Westeria with a guard of motorcycles around it, including a glossy black iron steed wreathed in neon green flames.

There were two women in the cab of the truck, one small and dark in the passenger seat, terrified and clinging to the end of the strap that had once been a seatbelt. The other was tall and blonde, with a wild look in her eye, and a shotgun in her lap. The rest of the riders were also armed, and as they rode up on a group of people gathered around a murky green pond, the five gave wild shouts and sent a couple of bursts of automatic gunfire into the air to scatter the flock of desperate folk.

____

The din of gunfire and explosions bound off the cold stone and cement of an abandoned church, the boiling flames of an overturned car launching shadows up and down the street while two marines sat quietly in the lonely tower overlooking the avenue. A sniper rifle sat beside the parapet, framing the plaza some four or five hundred meters away as Lance Corporal Bartel flicked his thumb over a lighter: the device caught and sent sparks flashing on the rustic wood of the tower’s floor several times before he was finally rewarded with a flame. He shortly burned up the end of a cigarette before squelching the lighter and tucking it back into his exoskin. Nestling it beside the cold steel of the handgun on his chest, Bartel lifted himself off the wall and then crab walked back to the parapet, grabbing the Sanerano and softly cradling the weapon into his shoulder.

“Oscar Bravo Actual this is Landcrawl, I’m taking an eye on the plaza due west -- we got any word from the re-up from Station Charlie?” He replied quietly, speaking through a microphone wrapped along his ear. His tactical vest and helmet lay in the corner, along with his secondary and a few other commodities he had brought with him before leaving the rudimentary installation Exogarden forces had established on the wayward planet: a few packs of rations and some water, an extra b-belt, the bare necessities for a marksman.

“This is Bravo 2 Actual, just keep an eye on the surroundings. We’ll be out of here soon enough. Eyes peeled and -- “ The rattle of gunfire and shouting quickly drew Bartel’s attention from the comms, and he swung to the other end of the window, leaning firmly against the frame to give him as much of a view as possible. The sniper rifle followed his movements, the scope magnifying his sight without having to peer through it as he focused on a batch of rubble and a pool of ruined groundwater. With most of the facilities providing the basic amenities all but irrecoverable at this point many had taken to impromptu watering holes and reservoirs that, though they posed a great health risk, would still provide the basic nectars of life.

“Hold that Actual, I’ve got eyes on a possible incident.” Bartel interjected, silence soon following on the line as he shouldered the weapon and nestled into a firing position. He cocked his left knee up, steadying the sniper rifle while the other pressed against a wooden support used to hold a flimsy piece of cardboard. The first thing the Lance Corporal spotted was a rugged truck, the flash of moving bodies jumping down to the concrete and cobblestone. To his credit the Lance Corporal had impeccable eyesight, even through a scope he could identify the procession of events that may soon unfold. The radio had continued squawking, words and callsigns coming back to him only after he had appraised the situation with the Sanerano.

”This is Oscar 2-2 Actual we heard the shots too -- “

“Bravo Actual, this is Oscar 2-4 we heard it also, it’s about ninety mikes away -- “

“This is Bravo Actual, squelch the comms. There’s looting all over the god damn city. Landcrawl, respond with your eyes on -- I repeat, Landcrawl only.”​

Before Bartel could manage to respond he cursed shortly, sliding down onto his backside and letting his scope peel away from the scene. He looked frantically about the small observation point, eyes finally falling onto a marine cuddled against the wall with his jacket draped over him. “Winter, Winter god dammit -- Private, wake the fuck up!”

Bartel grasped along the floor, soon finding an empty can of rations and then throwing it across the room at the wall. The metal clanging drew the young Private up, a slumbering torso sent the jacket flying off him, one hand grasping a handgun already drawn from the holster while the other made an outstretched hand. He slowly drew himself out of the few quiet moments of sleep he was afforded until Private Camlo Winter pulled his headset back over his ears.

“Get your fucking shit together Private and let’s get eyes on. There’s some shit going down about two hundred out.” Bartel said, one hand clasping over the mike: the battlefield necessities of sleep and down-time were often lost amongst the Exogarden, and despite his abruptness with the Private he wasn’t going broadcast to the platoon that one of their enlisted was ‘sleeping on the job’. Then, switching fluidly, he brought one hand back to the sniper rifle before focusing onto the scene around a supped-up truck. “I see maybe a dozen contacts -- three or more confirmed combatants, maybe more still in the vehicle. All indigenous personnel … looks like some looters.”

____

The lead motorcycle swung to a stop in a shower of pebbles and dust mere feet from the pond. The rippling flames stilled then and shrank back to the painted representation on the otherwise glossy black hide as the kickstand was applied. The rider was surprisingly shabby, compared to his vehicle, torn and dirty clothes barely hanging on the limbs of the man, who seemed far too thin for them. The only things in good repair on him were the helmet that hid his head (also glossy black and decorated with green flames), and the automatic rifle that swung on the strap from his shoulder.

The other three motorcycles stayed in motion, buzzing around like a tiny swarm of wasps. One of the riders was bareheaded, long dark hair fluttering like a banner behind her head as she deliberately got in the way of a fleeing family. The other two riders seemed content to let most of the refugees go, though a younger man that seemed healthy was harassed by one of them, and the other seemed to be enjoying making a group of children cry with how close she zipped to them on each pass around the disgusting water.

The truck executed an efficient three-point turn to back up to the pond, making the straps that held the empty water tanks in place groan with the strain. The redhead gave a startled shout as she fell off the end when the pick-up stopped so suddenly, but contrived to land so the little boy ended up on top and was less hurt than he would have been otherwise.

About the time that the man in the helmet was yanking both the woman and the boy to their feet, the blonde in the cab was forcing the dark-haired teen out as well, with the barrel of the shotgun nestled between her shoulder blades. The man's voice echoed oddly from the helmet as the exposed bones of broken fingers ground into the boy's arm.

"Get to it, Tears. Fix the water, or we kill the kids." was the order given by the one nominally in charge.

"Last time, Dog killed the kids anyway." 'Tears' pointed out, even as she edged towards the water carefully. Her feet were bare and the ground was painful.

The blonde woman growled and barked out, "Talking back gets bodies at your feet!" and shoved the dark-haired teen to the ground with a kick.

"Dog. Tears is behaving herself. You will too." The male instructed in that same hollow, toneless voice. The little boy cried out in fear when there was another eruption of gunfire, and the 'father' figure of the family being harassed by the bare-headed rider fell. That set off the other two riders, putting them on alert instead of just playing with their chosen prey. It was a miracle that only one person had died at that point.

____

“This is Oscar 2 Actual, we have a Nomad somewhere in the AO … Oscar 2-2 uplinking now.”​

The comms squawked for a few more moments as Lance Corporal Bartel slid the Sanerano against his shoulder, the other hand coming off the handguard of the sniper rifle and to the physical HUD link mounted on his left ear. Twisting one small dial, a digital overlay superimposed across his vision. As he closed one eye, the skyline reached out in front of him from the dusty rooftop of an abandoned three story structure. He calmly flexed one open hand, and the image jostled softly as heuristic overrides kicked in and the automaton yielded to his command. Stalking the autonomous drone forward, he drew it to the edge of the building until the landscape of the plaza greeted him.

Several hundred meters away on the rooftop a squat, four-legged machine clanked along the chalky ground of the structure’s roof until it pressed itself up onto two legs. The smaller limbs retracted against the device’s oblong body, while the barrels of two MG-40 machineguns stuck out from the bulbous node that served as the autonomous creature’s ‘head’. Digital eyes scanned left and right, until finally spotting the truck and an unidentified group of personnel, assumed natives.

Glimmering lenses and optics turned over and over, focusing in on the scene in particular until the automaton’s other hardware had adjusted properly. Powerful microphone and audio sensors linked with the optics, as the Nomad drone bent into a crouch along the rampart of the structure. Soon the drone was able to glean snippets of voices here and there, which was near-instantly relayed back to the marines in a church tower merely a block or two away.

Lance Corporal Bartel relinquished control of the drone, telepathically instructing it to remain on station and observing as he pulled the Sanerano out of the window. Private Camlo Winter was awake now, keyed in through his own neuro-link and peeking out another aperture but failing to locate the scene in question. “We’ll have to get to a better position if the squad’s gonna -- “

“Shut the fuck up Winter. Oscar 2 Actual are you hearing this?” He responded, hefting the Sanerano under one shoulder as he gripped at the communicator mounted on his chest. A few short clicks over the microphone answered back at him, responding without words until Staff Sergeant Rogier Achterop broke onto the comms.

“We all hear it Lance Corporal we’re patched in.”

Bartel waited a few more cautious moments, turning away from the window and scooping up his AC-9m carbine by the strap to haul it over his other shoulder. Then, he wrapped the sling of the Sanerano around his arm and motioned for Private Winter to follow him. “ … Orders, Staff Sergeant? If we don’t do something quick those people are probably gonna’ get ventila -- “

“I relayed it back to Station Charlie and LT Elettra, we wait for her confirmation and then we help these civvies out.”

“With all due respect Staff Sergeant I don’t think they’ll be breathing by the time we get word back, me and Van Laren are just near the intersection. We could cut off their egress and -- “

“You’ll hold position until I’m closer, me and the Specialist are handling the MG-40. If we get into a firefight we’re gonna’ need this GPMG understand?” Lance Corporal Bartel huffed at the NCOs response, peering out the window with Winter beside him and judging the small gap between the church and what appeared to be a garment factory of some sort. The low structure seemed to have a sturdy enough roof, and beyond it there was only one more building until they had a direct sight of the plaza.

“Staff Sergeant, I can make it across the rooftops to support Fiadhnait and Van Laren.” He said, one hand shooting up to his ear as he pulled himself back in from the window. The dissatisfied look he got from Winter made him flash an indignant scowl back, it would be a jump and even worse, bodily harm if one of them fell, but it may be the only difference between remaining observers or doing something.

“You can’t be fucking serious.” Camlo replied with a gulp, peeking back out the window and letting out a blunt sigh. He took a few steps from the oriel, as if even thinking of the act might cause him to suddenly fall. “No no no, no, no, fuuuuuuuuuck no LCP. I am not jumping out of a god damn church … “

“Shut the fuck up, say again Staff Sergeant?” Bartel replied, hanging the rifle over his other shoulder and stepping onto the window sill. The height then got to him for a moment, head swimming for just a few seconds until he fixed himself with both hands and the radio garbled.

“God dammit, alright Bartel. You and Winter get into position and provide overwatch for Van Laren and Fiadhnait, but don’t you fucking fire understand? We’re not going to go in guns blazing. We’ll observe and track … if they’re going to off ‘em then, and only then, we go loud.”

“Yessir Staff Sergeant.” Bartel replied softly, his breath quickening as the gravity of his suggestion finally settled into his head. It was a good five or six meter drop down, against a slanted roof no less, and then easily another ten down to the alley below. The Lance Corporal steadied himself once more, boots pacing and squeaking against the wood bolster until he peered back at Camlo, standing with a dumbfounded look on his face as Bartel made a quick grin. “Marines first and last, Private.”

“C’mon Gillie don’t try and woo me with some -- holy shit!” Camlo shouted as Bartel disappeared from the window with one large leap. He quickly rushed to the aperture, leaning out to watch the Lance Corporal vault across the alley and land feet first two or three meters from the ledge. The sniper had to catch himself on a small vent, though never came closer to the edge than a few inches. “Oh God dammit.”

Bartel grunted as he brought himself upright, still in a hunch though as he bear crawled his way up the roof until reaching the apex and motioning back to the Private. Winter, begrudgingly, hauled himself up into the window and then leapt onto the roof himself with far less grace than the Lance Corporal however.

Meanwhile two stories below, two marines quietly paced their way down a deserted street. To their left what had been distant shouting and barked commands grew closer and closer, the pair overlapping each other every few dozen meters as they paced their way to the intersection. Private First Class Mairona Fiadhnait and Corporal Artie Van Laren both regrouped at an overturned hauler that jutted out into the intersection linking the street to the plaza. "Alright this is Van Laren, we're in position ... getting eyes on now." The Corporal whispered, then keying off his mike and slid onto his hands and knees. Slowly crawling to the end of the truck and peeking around the corner, he just slightly adjusted his posture to allow the shoulder-mounted ECHOS system a shot of the truck from behind. Known as the Enhanced Combat Harness, Operations System (ECHOS) the device briefly scanned the personnel it was able to capture in the brief, choppy picture Corporal Van Laren was providing.

____

As the one, bound and called 'Tears', stepped into the murky green water, there was more of a ripple than expected. Waves spread from her ankles as she stood there, the edge of her skirt turning darker red as the fluid wicked up into the cloth.

The green color of the water seemed to crawl outwards, as moss and grass grew around the puddle, softening the rubble and destruction. The water steadily cleared as the redhead stood on a stone just a few inches beneath the surface. The man in the helmet waited passively, but the blonde called 'Dog' yanked the teenage girl to her feet and started prodding her towards the back of the truck and the containers there.

Soon enough, Tears announced, "It is safe. You may drink." and turned to climb back out of the pond without being told to. The smaller containers on the truck were soon pulled free by the teenage girl, but she couldn't manage the hand pump for large tanks on her own. Even lifting the smaller containers once full would be difficult for her. The little boy was then released by the man, and instructed to scavenge among the dropped possessions for anything useful.

Meanwhile, the three female motorcycle riders herded their catches towards the truck as well. The bareheaded one had a sullen pout, like she knew she had screwed up, having only three small children and their mother trudging in front of her.

One of the other two riders slid up her visor to grin at her. Lucky, another dark-haired female, had managed to snag a young adult male in decent health, after all. Someone that would be useful, and might even end up as part of the gang, especially if some of the darker members got their hands on him. "Sister, you dun fucked up. What are we going to do with More kids? I mean, sure, the bloodsuckers will like them, but we already have like a dozen."

'Sister' straightened her shoulders and glared, "We're down to eight that they can play with, since that cripple has been limping after Cudgel like a lost puppy. And they don't like the blind boy, or the little Hindu."

"Okay, fine. And the woman?" Lucky asked, sneering at the capture in question, but then had to swerve abruptly to cut off the escape of her own prize.

Finally, Shock, the last of the riders, broke in, "Maybe she can cook. I'm sick of that witch-woman's mush." She had spotted a couple of teenagers in the group of kids she had been harassing. While the rest of the brats had been of no concern to her, the two older ones had been her goal. They had been successfully collected, in no small part thanks to Sister having scared the fight out of them with just randomly killing her own most valuable target. Shock's pair were only girls, but even so... they could be useful too. Even if only in keeping Rook's squad entertained, back at base.

"Maybe you should cook then, Shock." Sister sulked as the new captures were put to work with the other hostages.

They were collecting freshly purified water via a pipe and the heavy hand pump. The muscle powered machine had to be set on the ground and hooked up as per Tears' quiet instructions, and as the first of the two big tanks started to fill it became pretty clear how long it would take the gang to finish their business and be on their way again.

____

Lance Corporal Bartel flopped down onto his stomach, hanging the Sanerano over the precipice of the rooftop as Private Winter crouched besides him. As the marine private unfolded the stand of a ranging drone, he kicked a supply bag down to the sniper and planted the device against the roof beneath him. Bartel racked a round into the sniper rifle as Winter pulled his M-18 up to his shoulder and peered through a digital magnifier on his trans-optical mounted to the front of his helmet.

“About two hundred and ten meters now -- I hear Corporal Van Laren up the street too.” Bartel remarked, swinging his rifle down and seeing the fireteam near an overturned car across the plaza and several away from the trucks and pond.

“Staff Sergeant is moving the GPMG in to the south. They should be inbound from … two hundred down.”

As the sniper took aim, he spotted two figures down an adjoining street on their way out of a two story building. Staff Sergeant Achterop swung his M-18 left to right as they entered the abandoned street and then waved the other marine forward. “We’re inbound now, all hold fire as we move the GPMG.” He replied into the commset, identifying the blown out second story of a cafe facing the street along the plaza.

Specialist Iggie Bernardo left the building next, sprinting across the street to the NCO with a GPMG carried over his shoulder. The Verian huffed and puffed as he lugged the weapon with one arm, pointing up the street to the entrance of the cafe. As Iggie rushed towards the door, Staff Sergeant Achterop took a knee beside an abandoned sedan and keyed into the platoon comms. “This is Oscar 2-2 Actual we are on site, go for transmission Oscar Actual.”

“This is Oscar Actual on standby, brief me Staff Sergeant.” Lieutenant Barrenice Elettra broke in over the comms, the rest of 2nd platoon scattered across several other points at various distances from the plaza. Achterop swung his M-18 over his knee, navigating through batches of drone data and remote observation equipment as he streamlined them all to the Lieutenant.

“Looks like we’ve got some hoodlums running their turf.” Achterop said into the headset, off-loading some of the data provided by the Nomad drone and then following Bernardo up to the second story of the cafe. As they entered the shelled out structure Iggie crouched low behind several overturned tables looking out onto the patio.

“I got eyes on target, Bartel’s got the sniper rifle in position too.” The Specialist informed, crouching near a blown out window on the streetside view of the patio. He propped open the MG-40s bipod, nestling the weapon in the window sill before charging a fresh round into the chamber.

“Affirmative Oscar 2-2 Actual, take position and observe over? We’ll be moving in from the east in twenty mikes -- let them pack up and leave, then we’ll track them. If we get into a firefight this far from Station Charlie without having an idea of where they come from we’ll be sitting ducks.”

____

Shock laughed at the thought, "Nah, nah. The witch-woman's cooking might not taste good, but at least it won't kill you. There is no guarantee on either point when I cook." She pulled her helmet off then, shaking out her long blonde hair to try to let some of the sweat dry while the tanks filled.

Sister and Lucky were about to respond, more friendly teasing most likely, but then Dog held up one hand to silence them. The woman that had driven the truck had her head lifted, and her lips pulled back from her teeth in a strange grimace as she inhaled and turned in place.

The other gang members all watched her closely, and the banter of moments before was like a passing daydream as the gun-toting folk were tense again. After about a thirty seconds of that, Dog pointed upwind, towards the cafe where there was so much fresh activity, "There. Gun oil, metal, sweat and frustration." Then she pointed in another direction, "Cursing, and then heavy thuds, and some sliding. We're being watched."

The male nodded thoughtfully, then looked over the prizes of the day. "Sister, those brats just became useful. You, Lucky and Shock, each put one of those kids on your seat behind you."

When the mother started to protest, the man just reached out and snapped her neck with one hand rather than waste a bullet. The kids started wailing as they were snatched up by the three riders mentioned, but the women didn't really care. The three children were little more than meat shields to the gang.

"Wild Dog, fetch Sandy. I've got Tears. Yo-jo, anyone that isn't in this truck in one minute gets left behind, in the damn puddle, and you are now promoted to driver." The hollow-voiced male instructed as got astride his own motorcycle as well and the redhead reluctantly got up behind him.

Yo-jo, the first teenage hostage that had been brought with the group, looked startled at being given a code-name on the fly like that. Then she gave a sob and nodded, knowing very well what Salts meant. After all, Yo-jo had seen it before, and was missing a sister because of the Speed Freaks. The pump was top priority, the small filled containers got thrown into the empty tank, and then the three teenage girls (Yo-jo and the two new prisoners) dove into the front seat of the truck, while the new boy jumped on the tailgate, where Tears and Sandy had been before.

While they were getting ready, Dog had shed her humanity like an ill fitting coat, and bounded after Sandy. Even in her werewolf form, Wild Dog was blonde, with silky looking fur that fluttered with her every movement. Somehow, even with classic wolf features, she managed to give the impression of a giant golden retriever as she snatched up the young boy and continued off down a side street and out of sight of the cafe`.

____

Specialist Iggie Bernardo clutched at the stock of the GPMG with his off hand, steadying his breathing as he scoped down the street towards the truck. “Something ain’t right about these guys, I think we’re dealing with abhumans.” He replied softly, making sure the barrel of the machinegun wasn’t particularly visible from the street. The rubble and shattered patio would provide ample cover, and Achterop hefted a second can of 10.9mm ammunition next to Bernardo as he took position a few meters to the right. The Staff Sergeant clutched at a pair of transoptic binoculars, softly raising them to his eyes.

“Yeah, definitely abhumans. We’ll have to pick our shots -- make sure to aim for the head.” Achterop replied, keying into the comms. “Alright squad we’re dealing with some serious tangos here. We need to observe as much as possible and wait for the rest of 2nd platoon, understand?”

“Understood.” Bartel and Winter replied, the sound of a bolt racking afterwards.

“Ten four, Staff Sergeant.” Van Laren replied quietly, the sound of gravel crunching under his feet as the two marines edged away from the truck and in between the rubble of an antiques shop. The front was entirely blown out, spewing debris and cinderblock into the street.

“Looks like they’re getting ready to leave. Keep that ‘40 on ‘em the whole time, Iggie.” Achterop ordered, and the Specialist gave a simple thumbs up before settling onto his stomach. The Staff Sergeant held the binoculars to his eyes, studying everything he could about the surroundings and targets in particular. The marines held their breath collectively, waiting patiently for their inevitable departure.

____

The three girls with motorcycles all put their helmets back on (even the one that had been bare-headed at the start) as Yo-jo started up the reluctant truck and put it in gear. The terrified teenager shuddered when one of the newly captured girls suggested making a run for it, and shook her head rapidly, saying, "There are less painful ways to commit suicide.".

Salts turned towards Tears and pointed at the pond, "We need a screen. Raise it. If you can drop it on their heads, do it."

"I'd need my hands for such finesse." was the redhead's answer as she settled awkwardly on the back of his seat. With her hands still bound with the burlap strap behind her, the perch was even more precarious than it had been on the back of the truck.

When Salts started up his bike, the green flames licked out again around their legs. The sickly green illumination started eating away at her dress, though his clothes were unharmed. He grunted in discontent, then answered harshly, "Do what you can. If it is the fucking New Capricans, they are sloppy with their aim and tend not to care about 'civilian kills'."

Then he raised his voice and shouted orders, "Route three! Lucky, over-watch!, Sister, do your thing! Shock, rear guard! Dog! Hell, you know what to do."

Then chaos erupted. The truck moved first, the slowest of the vehicles, swinging around the pond in a wide arch and aiming for a clear path out of there. Then the motorcycles suddenly seemed to double, and then triple, zipping around the clearing in a deliberately confusing way, to disguise which ones were the originals and which were copies.

The water in the pond, freshly touched by Tears and purified, rose in an angry wave. It swept down the street in the direction that Dog had indicated, soon boiling with floating debris picked up along the way, including at least one dead body. While the wave started tall enough to completely hide the gang members from sight at street level, it lost volume with every foot of ground it traveled.

as written by Azrican and Krysis

Water poured down the avenue, sweeping past the the overturned truck in a deluge that filtered through the rocky chunks of rubble and debris, nearly covering Corporal Van Laren as he laid on his stomach and planted his head firmly on the ground. Suck in a breath, the deluge passed in a mere second, soaking his exoskin and fatigues. He brushed a few droplets of water off his visor, and pried the PNVS-2 system off from his face. PFC Fiadhnait was at slightly higher ground, perched on the rugged masonry of the destroyed shop front as the minor cave continued down the road. “Looks like they’re on the move, Sergeant -- Bartel, you got eyes on?”

“Yeah we’ve got decoys in play, we’ll need an Eyeglass overhead to track ‘em.” Bartel responded over comms, while Van Laren belly crawled his way back from the truck as engines roared and tires squealed. They would remain in position for several more minutes, watching and waiting quietly with any systems they could to glean as much confused information as possible.

In the cafe, water came splashing through the first floor and overturned table and chair alike: a loud crash was heard down below as a support pillar fractured, groaning as it collapsed onto the counter and shattered glass. Softly, the entire building seemed to sag just slightly, and Specialist Bernardo felt the concrete flooring crunch and buckle quietly as Achterop crawled his way back from the patio. “Alright, they’re heading out. We’d better get outta’ here before this place comes down -- low and slow though, Iggie.” He said, waving a hand forward to the plaza side exit.

“This is Bartel and Winter, we’ll hitch a ride with the rest of bravo platoon and meet you there.”

Bernardo and Achterop had crawled their way down the stairs, soon having to wade through the waterlogged cafe at a crouch. Achterop softly put his hand on a floating chair and pushed it to the side, lazily spinning in the ether as water began to settle and drain from the structure and down the road. Upon exiting into the plaza, Bernardo scanned the surroundings with his GPMG, the weapon cradled into his shoulder. He spotted two marines sprinting down the road and past the empty pond, signalling to the Staff Sergeant.

“Got eyes on Van Laren and Fiadhnait, Sergeant.”

The two marines met them at the intersection of the cafe, and after ensuring they were alone on the plaza Achterop took a knee. Activating a holographic projector from his forearm mounted display, he pointed to a large red-zone imposed against a street map of the city. “This whole area’s a no-man’s land, we were on patrol just over the line.” He said, indicating to the phase lines and patrol routes Bravo squad had, originally, meant to operate along.

“The rest of Bravo is inbound, ten or fifteen now, and we’ll have overhead to track these guys back to wherever they’re operating from.”

“We really gonna’ hit ‘em, Staff Sergeant? They’ve got hostages.” Van Laren replied, standing with his M-18 across his chest and scratching at a few days growth of stubble around his chin. Achterop tore a glove off his hand, stuffing it into his chest pocket returning a finger to the map.

“With enough surprise they won’t know what hit ‘em. They might be spooked now so it’s going to be a slow crawl once, or when, we find ‘em. Rapid violence, rapid results marines. You know the drill.”

“Fuckin’ A Sergeant, been waiting for some action.” Fiadhnait replied, nodding her head in agreement and racking the chamber of her own assault rifle. She pointed to several particular buildings, an abandoned newspaper, a large retail store only a hundred meters away, and what appeared to be an inner city bank near the opposite end of the plaza. “They were working in teams obviously so there’s probably more of them. They’d want a defensible, but accessible position too: something easy to get in and out of, with access to the rest of the roads. Street-side, these fuckers didn’t seem like your average gangbangers and alley dwellers.”

“Good observation, Private. We’re dealing with abhumans too so the unorthodox is now the orthodox. Anyone gotten trigger time on a psyker before?” Achterop questioned, looking up at his marines. Iggie raised a hand tentatively from the handguard of his MG-40, Fiadhnait did as well.

“Had an Alium institute go under some New World cleric so … “ He pantomimed a machinegun with his hand and then shifted the machinegun onto his shoulder. “Mostly just minor telekinetics and mind-readers though, there were some Internal Troops that took care of the rest.” Achterop nodded at Iggie’s response, looking over to the Private First Class as she simply shrugged and blurted out.

“Put two rounds in a kid that turned out to be a puppeteer for the Unitary Front … kinda’ what got me here.”

“Alright, well we’re not entirely in uncharted territory then. Bravo platoon should be rolling up soon. We’ll get uplinked, find these guys, and bring ‘em kicking and screaming into hell.”

Almost as if on cue, the howl of a turbine engine was heard as a GV-18 half-track churned around the corner. Behind it, a squad of marines rushed into position behind rubble and overturned cars. A single marine stood in the cupola of the driver’s cabin, her eyes scanning the plaza about her as the half-track crawled along the center of the road. Achterop and his fireteam sprinted to to meet up with the rest of 2nd platoon, stopping in front of the GV-18 and saluting Second Lieutenant Barrenice Elettra as he hauled herself out of the cupola.

“Finally found me a fight, Staff Sergeant?” The woman inquired, hopping down and unshouldering her AC-9m carbine as two squads of marines moved forward to secure the plaza. Meanwhile, an AMV-4 Cutlass trundled along the road perpendicular to them to go pick up Bartel and Winter.

“Looks like your usual rabble -- they’re a lot more organized than the other gangs we’ve seen though, we know they’ve got a handful of hostages now. Four, five. Could have more back at their base of operations.” He replied, hitching a thumb up towards the roofs where the Nomad drone had been.

“We’ve got an Eyeglass in the air tracking them down now, but it’s slow going.” Elettra replied, turning back to the GV-18 and several other squads of marines on their way into the plaza. “Debrief the Platoon Leader and fall back in. We’re going gardening tonight.”

Achterop saluted, turning back to his marines and motioning them to follow before they took off towards an Boxer IFV. The M8-97 let out a grumble as it’s engine drew it over an abandoned sedan: metal and glass crunched as the 20 tonne vehicle rolled on towards them.

____

The Speed Freaks regathered some distance away, in cleared intersection, around the truck when Yo-jo stopped behind Salts and Tears. The boy on the back started to climb down, but was stopped by a Tears shaking her head in warning.

Soon the women rejoined them too, Sister applying the kickstand on her bike as the illusions vanished and she hung her head wearily. Little Sandy clung to the furry back of Wild Dog, his arms twined through the straps of her vest so he would be less likely to loose his grip. The gang exchanged a glance and Dog announced quietly, in a voice made up of disappointed growls, "Not coming. Can't be New Capricans. These guys seem to be aware of their own mortality."

Salts nodded, and his hollow voice echoed in the helmet, "I will see what I can find out." just before the corpse sagged limply between Tears and the green flamed motorcycle.

The gang merely waited, knowing how Salts operated. Technically, the man wasn't even there at all, but had been using one of his kills as a puppet. In truth, he was near his altar and his workshop, and had the tools at hand to project his awareness into another corpse.

A fresher corpse that he had just made, no more than ten minutes prior.

The corpse of the mother with the broken neck did not move, not even the usual automatic inhale, since the connection between brain and lungs was impaired. The body had gotten dislodged a bit from the wave and gotten hung up against the wheels of a car, laying on its side, chest towards the pond which meant the eyes were facing under the sedan. It was still close enough to hear, "...puppeteer for the Unitary Front … kinda’ what got me here.”

A little more was heard, despite the grinding and loud engine that showed up soon after, and then the connection was lost abruptly as the lady's corpse was thoroughly crushed under the tracks of something that Salt had not been able to see.

The band of girls had started to talk quietly about their options by the time the corpse on the bike with Tears twitched and breathed, coming upright again. The control was not as smooth this time, as Salts was still in pain from the involuntary disconnection. His speech was still hollow, but fainter this time and broken. "They are watching us. Something called an Eyeglass. Overhead. Lucky, deal with it."

"A tank. Maybe two. Take the narrow way. Make it hard for them. They find the base, we're going to have to start over. At least two platoons out there." Salts continued to mumble through his helmet, though at that point only Tears and Sister were listening to him.

"You did good, baby." Sister assured him, one hand stroking over the helmet as she laid the forehead of her own helmet against his.

Tears had a bitter look, though she looked over her shoulder in the direction they had come from.

"Gotta tell Rook." Salts groaned, the corpse sagging again.

Sister winced, then nodded. "Tell him then. We'll be along."

All the hostages flinched as Lucky suddenly put her rifle to her shoulder and took a shot at a glimmer high in the air as it peeked around a building. That was her gift, her skill. Her reflexes were almost precognitive, and her aim, deadly.

The corpse continued to just lay between Tears and the handlebars of the green-flamed motorcycle, but that didn't seem to matter as the machine started to roll on its own, going down a wide, mostly cleared street.

The rest of the group turned down a narrow alley, after Wild Dog took on her human guise again and took the wheel of the truck from Yo-jo. All four of the teens ended up in the bed of the truck then, sitting on the full containers and somewhat huddled together for balance as the sides of the vehicle occasionally shrieked along the brick and stone of the buildings that flanked the 'narrow way'.

____

Two pronged feet paced along the dirty and broken ground of the street, mechanical servos and actuators whirring as the autonomous infantry drew the assault rifle up to it’s chest and made a cursory scan of the abandoned plaza in front of him. Silence was all that greeted the drone, though it listened intently to its surrounding through machinery. The drone continued on down the street, heavy footsteps and the occasional din of a gunshot or explosion all that the infantryman could hear until it stopped at the corner of an intersection.

The drone quietly peeked around the corner, scanning up and down the road before it until leaning back into cover and sending one quick hand signal back. A few moments later, two more olive-drab garbed figures appeared from an alleyway.

PFC Curtis Costigan and Private Peter Nealy broke out into a sprint down the sidewalk, rifles at their shoulders and panning left to right while they tried to catch up with the automaton nearly a block down from them.

“We’re clear -- looks like we’re about eighty meters from the last spotting on the Eyeglass.” Costigan replied, cradling the M-18 into his shoulder as he slid into a crouch next to the infantry drone. The mechanized soldier peeled away from the street corner, crouching low next to the PFC as Nealy joined them.

“Did Wiggles see anything? I swear to God if we’re just chasing some bandits all over this godforsaken city I’ll fuckin’ plug that toaster into my T-player.” Nealy replied, sliding onto his knees in the doorway of an abandoned shop as he swung his rifle left to right.

The drone hefted it’s weapon in one hand, exchanging hand signs with the PFC next to him silently. Costigan nodded, adjusting his helmet whenever it slid down across his forehead slightly. “Place looks abandoned, he says -- there’s gotta’ be a couple places these fuckin’ abhumans could hole up in around here.”

A few meters behind them another marine was quietly sprinting into position with Curtis and Nealy. Corporal Hugo Callan hefted an MG-40B with both hands as he crouched behind the hood of a dusty sedan. “Anything?”

“Not a fuckin’ peep -- pretty sure whoever these guys are are waiting for some Indies to come walking into an ambush.” Nealy replied, scratching at his nose and letting his AC-9m carbine hang against his chest uselessly. “I think they’ve been butting heads with those weekend warriors from the wall, what’re they called … “

“New Capricans.” Costigan replied, hanging out from the stoop of the door with his assault rifle against his shoulder. He calmly scanned the facade of buildings and small corner shops, peering through holographic sights superimposed on his vision. “Just a bunch of natives trying to jump ship.”

“Well I think it serves our purposes they think they’re just dealing with some posers who like to tac it up when they’re not sitting at a desk.” Callan remarked shortly as he slid back down with his back against the car. He gripped at the foreguard of his GPMG while checking the wrist-mounted display on his forearm, and studied several other blue icons spread out across a rudimentary 3D map of the city sector.

“Where’s Oscar 2-5 at? They were supposed to be coming through that intersection twenty meters ahead.” Nealy inquired, turning back to the other marines after he made a quick hand gesture to the silent ABE beside him. The automaton then stepped out from the stoop and broke into a sprint once again, bounding towards the rubble of a blasted out first story clothing shop.

As the drone took off, Callan shook his forearm several times when the display lagged for a few moments. Softly, a blinking light appeared on a perpendicular road just ahead of them. “Got it -- I got SG Pope’s ECHOS tag.”

“Let the bucket know we’ve got friendlies to the left.” Costigan replied, then depressed a commo-bead on his throat as he followed Nealy in formation forward. The two marines walked in line, Nealy at a crouch and sweeping low while Costigan aimed high and made sure to scan any possible avenue.

Up ahead, the drone crouched low and peered over the corner of the street. Turning back, the machine then made a hand signal with its three pronged digits as six marines filed out from the intersection. One of them trotted out from the others, a shotgun across his chest as he joined Costigan and Nealy. “You the boys from Delta?”

“Yessir Sergeant Pope, Oscar 2-4 -- Private Nealy.” Nealy responded, exchanging a quick handshake with the NCO and indicating with one shoulder to the marine behind him. “This is PFC Costigan.”

“Where’s the rest of you Delta boys?” Pope inquired, pointing off down the road where inky black smoke rose from a fire somewhere. The platoon had disembarked their armored vehicles due to the necessity of intelligence: blundering through an unknown city with an unknown number of enemies in armored vehicles was a recipe for disaster that the marines could not handle at the moment. Oscar company was still relatively on it’s own when it come to operating within the borders of the city, armor would have to be conserved and for the most part the marines would have to do it the hard way.

“SSG Corney is putting together overwatch positions and fire support -- we might be able to get airpower overhead in a couple. That, and putting together a drone team.” Nealy said intently, indicating over to the Bellator drone who was crouched along with several other marines.

“Alright, we got anyone further ahead in position?” Pope asked one final time. The Sergeant turned to glance down the road, an abandoned avenue only populated with scattered trash and the occasional stray animal picking through the rubble and scraps.

“We got a fireteam about seventy meters down the road, near that old depository -- “ Nealy said, pointing one gloved hand forward to a burned out husk of a structure that must have gone up in the very beginning of the cities’ slow death, “And that bank fifty more meters down facing our twelve-o’clock.” He finished.

Lance Corporal Riley Guillan sat on the rustic frame of a desk with his legs crossed, the EMR-10 locked against his shoulder as he cautiously parsed up and down the avenue looking for any possible contacts. The old, rusty wood creaked and groaned under his weight but after several minutes of it threatening to shatter, Guillan estimated he’d found a sturdy enough perch.

A few meters behind him, Corporal Wright sat quietly with his ear plastered to a wired receiver and a small radio set. He occasionally chattered in code, and then set about scanning information transmitted to his forearm display.

“The Eyeglass get anything on these possible bellicoms?” Guillan replied, scanning left and right once again in the same motion he had been for the past several minutes. The monotony had at first, greatly annoyed him: but now the Lance Corporal had settled into his duty.

“They lost track of ‘em right around getting to this end of the plaza, slipped out of the envelope before the Herodion could re-adjust the satellite net.” Wright said indignantly, taking the receiver away from his ear and planting it back down against the radio set as a Specialist trotted into the room with three pairs of thick, canvas like material over his arms.

“Hey hey shit birds, Corney wants us in smocks.”

“The CLOVEs? Seriously? Does he know how fucking hot it is in this god forsaken city?” Wright complained, nearly toppling over when the Specialist threw the material straight into his face. Specialist Raby shook out another one, and then tossed it onto the desk besides Guillan.

“Corney says we’re dealing with abhumans so the smocks go on -- don’t need them ordaining our location through some goat organs before we get on top of them.” Raby said with a dull voice, then proceeded to haul the dull material over his exoskin and tactical vest. Wright was grumbling as he struggled to pull the canvas over his helmet, fidgeting like a child stuck in his pajamas for a moment.

Guillan set down the EMR-10, grabbing the smock by a handful and then pressing it over his own form. “The fuck do these things even do for us anyway? I thought they only spoofed EM.” He said, greeted with a stale smell of sweat and urine from the interior of the material: perhaps there was the answer.

“I don’t fuckin’ know some shit about particles or something, maybe.” Raby said as he pulled at the hem of the smock to ensure it was fitted properly. He cringed as he noticed the smell as well. “Oh God, I bet Brewster vomited in this thing.”

“Holy shit I smell like the latrine at Camp Lycoming -- “ Wright said with an audible gag, and his eyes visibly watered before he waved a hand back and forth in front of his nose. “Alright, alright enough dicking around. Let’s get back to work and find these fuckin’ abhumans. The sooner we get done with this the sooner we can get these fucking CLOVEs off.”

____

"The bitch brigade is out hunting, again." Caecilia 'Wrench' Ottosen muttered as she consulted her clipboard. Her shaggy brown hair was streaked with blonde and grease, where she had run a dirty hand through the ragged locks. She was skinny and small, and most people underestimated Wrench on first glance.

The man that walked ahead of her, taking one step for every two and a half of her's, had no such problem. Indeed, Rook radiated a sort of solidity that even the least perceptive could pick up on. The cigarette hanging from the corner of his mouth left a cloud of foul smelling smoke in his wake as he mumbled, "It amuses me that you call them thus. A year past, you might have been with them, a bitch yourself."

"That was before Sister picked up Dog. Rook, you've let them become their own gang, a splinter of us with different goals, and it will end badly for us all." Caecilia griped, dodging around the debris left in the hallway of the building they had claimed for their own. It had been a bank before being taken for the band of violent criminals. It was reasoned that, if they building had withstood the fight with the dragon as well as everything else that had happened in that area of Westeria, and still hadn't been cracked before Rook slammed the vault, well, it had to be good enough to shelter their little band.

Plus, there was an underground parking garage, and easy pickin's of any tool or part that the former mechanics had lusted after in the city. That underground structure was Wrench's usual haunt, and it was only reluctantly that she parted from her projects to catch up to their nominal leader. Her concerns about the 'Bitches' had been voiced before, but the state of the larder was the original subject that had her jogging after the large man.

Wrench's nagging was interrupted soon enough though, as Salts staggered into view. He had wiped the claret from his bleeding nose once, but that had just left a ghastly smear in his facial hair. The mere sight of him made Caecilia's lips twist into a disapproving frown, but since the voodoo practitioner outranked her, she had to be silent as he caught his breath.

She was glad she did when Salts finally managed to speak. "Trouble coming in." He growled with a baleful glare. "Fuckin' New Capricans I think. Pissed that we were 'stealing' water."

Rook puffed meditatively for a moment, then asked quietly, "Did you lead them here?"

Salts shook his head, "No, but Sister is on her way home. We'll need to--"

Rook interrupted Salts by throwing a punch at a nearby wall that shattered the stucco and bared the (now dented) steel bones of the building underneath. Cleaning the dust and new gravel from his unblemished hand with a mostly clean rag from Wrench, Rook asked in a mild tone, "So your wife, my sister, is out there getting shot at, and you are here?"

Salts winced and nodded reluctantly. "It's worse than that. We took Tears too."

This time, it was Salts that was thrown, not a punch. Rook didn't want to kill the man on the eve of battle. Besides, Salts was a loyal brother-in-law. Those were a rare and valuable sort, not to be disposed of lightly. So the man with the nosebleed ended up tumbling down the carpeted hallway instead of hurled through a wall or window. Rook just turned to Wrench then. "We must assume battle will be joined minutes after Sister returns. Arrange a welcome."

Caecilia hesitated, the question in her eyes stalling her tongue and slowing her feet.

Rook smiled slowly, "I go to wake the dead. Quickly now. Subtly is lost on my sister, and she will flee for cover as quickly as she can."

----

So quickly did Sister roll that she soon left the truck behind, along with the other three members of the 'Bitch Brigade'. She really wasn't meant for the life her husband and brother had chosen. Behind the blank visor of her helmet, her eyes were wild and her breathing rapid. The longer she was alone, the more panicked she'd get, and the more quickly she would race along the familiar 'narrow' path.

The truck wasn't exactly quiet in the best of times, and the screaming of metal on stone echoed among the tall buildings in places where the alley wasn't quite wide enough. Not even for the reflexes of a werewolf. The sound just drove Sister's fright all the more, while the other three stoically accepted it.

A couple of stupid mistakes and wrong turns later, Sister was screaming at the little girl that was crying and clinging to her. It wasn't the child's fault, but the dark-haired female blamed her anyway. When the screaming abruptly stopped, Shock shared a grim glance with Lucky, and Wild Dog gave a cruel smile as she kneaded the steering wheel and made a careful turn into what looked like a wall on first glance. It was actually a tarp painted the same color as the building it was hung on, disguising a ramp of rubble that lead into a series of basements and eventually the parking garage they called home.

Sister's route made no sense, but one part of it was then marked. The kid was still alive, but probably wouldn't be for long. Not with the blood gushing from her temple.

At least without the distraction, Sister found it easier to concentrate and find her way home, through open streets and into one of the less concealed entrances to the parking garage.

as written by FizzGig and Krysis

The parking garage was a cavernous hall filled with hundreds of cars that had either been gutted for parts, or stood by waiting for scavenging. Dimly lit and cool, it was an ideal place to work long hours without becoming too exhausted, a space that seemed divided from both the world outside and the building above it. There were a few areas designated for works in progress, closer to the upper levels of the garage, and one section in particular had been set up with a cot. A motorbike was propped up near it, with a young woman sitting cross-legged on the floor in front of it, nimble hands working with the wiring as delicately as one might cut an infant’s hair. Her arms were stained with grease up to the elbows, her cargo pants ripped in places and stained with the same fluid. Her tank top was rolled to just above the base of her ribcage, and a tight wrap of gauze bandaging encircled her otherwise bare abdomen.

Jaz was a stray that had been picked up several weeks previously, found unconscious and left to die from a single round of buckshot that had torn through her right side, nearly shredding her liver. At the time, she had been foolishly wandering the streets of Westeria alone, confident that there wasn’t one single dumbass who would dare try to take her out especially when her back was turned. She’d been careless, rooting around an old pharmacy in a fruitless search for something to dull the persistent ache that always ate away at her body, and instead found herself the victim of collateral damage as two rival gangs squared off against each other across the street. She didn’t know who picked her up, but it was Wrench she had woken up to, her hands wrist-deep inside Jaz’s abdomen.

She’d been furious, and her anger burned that much more when she realized that someone had wizened up to her abilities and restrained her with bonds that disrupted her electromagnetic capabilities. Something laced with rubber. Wrench had been the first to see her cybernetics, the first to realize Jaz wasn’t completely human, that she didn’t bleed, that she didn’t even have a pulse. It was Wrench who had decided to fix her instead of letting the rest of the Road Runner Goon Squad leave her to die. It was Wrench who had made Jaz realize that she simply wasn’t going to make it in this shit-hole of a city on her own.

That didn’t make Wrench her friend. Jaz didn’t have friends, but she sure as hell had a lot of respect for her, and that might have had a little or a lot to do with the fact that Wrench was the one with the pain meds Jaz so desperately needed. The first few days had been agonizing. Wrench was really good with her hands, but Jaz hadn’t been invaded upon that way in years, had sworn that no one else was going to put their hands inside her and tinker with her guts ever again. So Jaz had resorted to angry insults, worthless threats given her physical condition, right up until she was too worn out to continue. Remarkably, that was when things got better.

It was either go with the flow or get forced to do whatever the hell the ragtag gang wanted her to, so in spite of her pride, Jaz allowed Wrench to finish the job, and begrudgingly commented that she could help with fixing vehicles and tinkering with weapons. As she settled, she learned more about the other active members of the Speed Freaks, and was surprised to discover others who were like her: modified, something not quite human.

Shock was one of those girls, and it was suspected that she’d known how to restrain Jaz in the first place. Jaz didn’t spend much time getting to know any of them, mostly because they went out so often on their raids, but she was beginning to get the sense that they trusted her with their equipment, even their hostages. Shock at least seemed open to her being included. It wasn’t of high priority for this group to trust her or to befriend her, but it did matter that Jaz got what she needed and that she wasn’t tossed out on the street while still in recovery.

She glanced down at the wrapped bandages around her abdomen and sighed, withdrawing her hands from the bike and wiping them on the thighs of her cargo pants. She stood, bending back and cracking a few vertebrae before stretching her neck from side to side. Lanky and tall and sickly thin, at first glance no one would assume that at one point in time she’d destroyed an entire complex single-handedly. If it was up to her, no one would find out, not unless she wanted them to.

The halls echoed with the roar of engines coming into the parking garage. Jaz shoved her hands into her work gloves, a precaution she took to prevent accidentally electrocuting someone, and walked over to lean against one of the gutted cars. She crossed her arms over her chest, her wild red hair hanging like a curtain all around her shoulders, and stared towards the ramp where she knew the team would be arriving. In a way, the arrival of new hostages was pleasing to Jaz.

It meant there was someone out there having a shittier day than she was.

____

Two motorcycles rolled into view first, both bearing familiar figures in dark clothes and tinted helmets. The one on the left gave a nod of greeting to Jaz before they even stopped in their usual places or hefted the clinging children down.

Before Shock and Lucky had even gotten their helmets off, the truck driven by Wild Dog rumbled into sight. Jolanda and several other heads peered for where Wrench usually stood, but the worried looks from hostages were not unusual.

Shock stretched as she walked towards Jaz, swinging her automatic rifle around behind her as she moved. The little kids both scurried in her wake, Lucky making a beeline for the stairs and kinda ignoring everyone. The way she walked, long strides and taking two stairs at a time, was somewhat unusual.

"Hey. Can you take these brats up to the others? Gotta bit of water to stow, and Sister is AWOL." Shock asked, kinda pulling the nearer of the small kids forward, as if Jaz might have missed their presence. The soft and distracted tone was also unusual from Shock, who was usually brash and loud unless something was actually wrong.

Wild Dog was ordering the teens around, but she would haul the cistern feed pipe herself, to hook up to the pump, since it was rather heavy. The smaller containers were just being carried by the teenagers, so they would be ready to go in seconds.

____

"Sure." Jaz replied, pulling off her gloves and stuffing them into the hem of her cargos. Some of these kids looked like runners, so she made a point of briefly snapping her fingers, causing a bright flash of static to erupt from her fingertips. If she was affected at all about the news of Sister, she didn't show it, just made sure that the kids saw that she meant business.

"Don't fuck around, kiddos. Let's get moving."

She started shepherding the kids towards the stairs, and for the most part they followed without hesitation. She stood much taller than them at any rate, so it was pretty easy to keep track of all the little squirts. The teenagers were carrying cargo under Dog's direction, which was fine by her. Fewer bodies to keep track of. She took them up the service stairs to the sixth floor where the hostages were housed, only stopping to grab one of the kids that had fallen behind due to exhaustion. She didn't stop dragging him until they got to the top of the stairs.

She opened the door closest to her, not really sure if there was a science to dividing up the kids, but the levels were guarded anyway so it wasn't like they were going anywhere.

"Get in." she ordered, watching them file into the room in single file. Jaz wiped her brow, scowling at the little gaggle before slamming the door after them. She shoved her hands into her pockets then and meandered down to the second floor where she suspected Wrench might be.

"Didn't know if the kids were supposed to be sorted," she said to anyone who cared to listen. "But they're upstairs, so woopee."

____

The room seemed empty at first, just piles of clothes around the vats that were used for washing. On second glance, it was hard to figure out how the tall man with grungy lank hair and dark, sorrowful eyes could have been missed, just standing still, among the stacks. Aryeh Schur called attention to himself by rubbing one graceful hand over his ragged, gray streaked goatee, hiding his lips and expression as the passel of young people were suddenly placed in his care.

"Jaz, wha--?" He started to ask, but then the door was pretty much slammed again. With a shrug, the littlest two would be sent off with Jolanda to get something to eat, while the three teenagers got put to work on the laundry with him.

Lucky and Wrench were indeed on the second floor, opening the smaller safes and getting out weapons and more ammo. Lucky looked up first, as she loaded a high caliber rifle, when Jaz made her announcement, "Doesn't matter. Shit is about to hit the fan. You gonna stand with us?"

"Of course she will. I trust her." Wrench snapped in response, then gave the cyborg a wry smile. "Try not to get shot though. I might not be around to pick up the pieces after."

Lucky gave an annoyed grunt as Rook's favorite squad filed down the stairs to pick up the guns and such that they didn't particularly care for. The men usually preferred melee, close work, where ranged attackers were at a disadvantage and the average victim was easier to intimidate.

'Sharpie' winked at the girls and twirled one of his knives like a magic trick until 'Brawl' elbowed in him the back to remind him to keep to business, but otherwise the males pretended not to notice the women's discussion.

____

Her blue eyes glowed bright as she met Lucky's gaze, her own expression blank. She held it for a fraction of a second longer than would be considered comfortable or appropriate, before shifting her attention to Wrench.

You shouldn't, Jaz thought to herself as she regarded the pair. She laced her fingers together and rested them on the back of her head, looking over the munitions store lazily for a moment. She let her arms fall to her sides as she approached, fingers always in motion, light flickers of static twitching between her digits. She was a ball of restless energy, having been cooped up in the garage for the last couple of weeks. She was really looking forward to doing some damage, and if that meant taking a side (she really didn't give two shits which), then she'd do it. These people fed her and kept her from spilling her synthetic guts all over the sidewalk, so in the grand scheme of things it worked out best to stand alongside these guys and play the part.

"I won't get shot again, that much I can promise you." she said at last before picking up a heavy-looking six shooter. She checked the magazine, slammed it back into the chamber, and flipped on the safety before tucking the gun in the hem of her cargos. She was sure that she wouldn't end up needing it, but she'd always carried one and felt naked without it.

"So what kind of shit are we talking about here?" she asked, ignoring Rook and his gang for the most part and directing her question to Lucky. "We meeting it out there or is it coming here?"

____

"Coming here. Soon. We thought it was New Capricans at first, but these guys are persistent. And smart." Lucky grumbled, slinging three more rifles on carry straps over her shoulder in addition to the one she just finished loading. She gave a wry smile and a half shrug, "Gotta get to my post. I think we're going to have a very bad day folks."

Cudgel blanched slightly and muttered to the other melee boys, "When Lady Luck has a bad feeling, time to cover your ass and--"

He didn't finish, because there was suddenly a sharp feeling against the back of his neck as 'Edge' observed in his quiet way, "Deserters are executed."

The rest of the conversation was lost as the boys gathered their weapons and went to join their leader on an upper level, but the sound of banter would continue as they walked away.

Rushed steps made Wrench look up from her clipboard, where she had been frowning at the list of what should be available in comparison to what was actually in the smaller safes.

Sister was running up from the parking garage. She shouted as soon as she caught sight of Wrench, "Where is Salts?! He has pulled the gore-pool! All of it! It's coming!"

Wrench just blinked and gave a quizzical smile, "Of course he did. That was point of having it. And if he pulled it, there is only one place he Can be. With Elliston in the arcane lair. Hey, don't forget your--! She forgot." Caecillia had reached for the pieces set aside for Sister, but then let her hand fall.

"Tears will be flooding this level as soon as she gets here. Do you want to stay here with Shock and take out as many as you can?" Wrench asked curiously, willing to let Jaz decide where her talents were best to be used.

____

"Tell me again when we actually have good days?" Jaz shouted after Lucky. She didn't expect a response, and one wasn't given to her. She rolled her shoulders, grabbing one more rifle and slipping it up and over her shoulder before straightening and dusting off her hands. Those sparks kept flying, and her eyes glowed like lanterns. When Sister appeared in a panicked fashion (she always seemed to be distressed in one way or another), Jaz kept quiet for hers and the other woman's exchange, having nothing to add that would be helpful. When Wrench turned to her, she smiled wryly, an expression that looked almost terrifying in the thin setting of her face.

"Sure why not. Consider it my initiation." she met the other woman's eyes, the gravity of what was coming weighing on her with sudden and unexpected heaviness. She licked her dry lips before turning to the door that lead to the first level.

"Thanks for fixing me up. If I go down it won't be without three dozen of those bastards, and I have you to thank for that."

She moved forward then, prepared to meet Shock on the landing just above the lobby level. Her breathing slowed, fingertips trembling as she heard Shock give Tears the order.

Then, the sound of an enormous amount of water churning and knocking stray furniture aside.

Jaz laughed, a sound that echoed up the staircase eerily.

"Row, row, row your boat..."

as written by Azrican

Phase Line Zulu, Westeria Plaza
Second Lieutenant Barrenice Elettra stood with her arms crossed in front of a tarpaulin drawn to the side of a Matador truck. Hidden from the glare of the sun and any of the cautious looks from some of the civilians scampering away as soon as the marines rolled in, a bank of computer displays and holographic uplinks stretched out in front of her. Several other marines in field tunics and crew shirts exchanged brief words and information with one another, watching the plaza and the surrounding buildings with a bird’s eye view from both a low-orbit satellite net and several Eyeglass observation drones. The Austrobardian studied first a real-time image of what was, originally, thought to be an abandoned city bank and then a digital overlay that catalogued the positions of 2nd platoon’s five infantry squads: forty-eight men in total, and equipped with a startling assortment of weaponry that could level the structure if given the opportunity, the 2nd Lieutenant had elected to quietly encircle the targets they had finally managed to track down.

“Two-LT,” Corporal Gordan Burns said from his fold-out chair, waving a hand to the officer and placing a hand on a position identified as Oscar 2-4s sniper position. A small info-tag was beside it, detailing Wright, Guillan and Raby’s overwatch as they noticed activity at the structure in question. Elettra turned away from the building, which was just barely visible as a looming obelisk down at the other end of the plaza.

“Go ahead, Corporal.” She replied, joining the marine in front of the display as he fumbled through various commands and the image cycled into focus. She laid one hand on the back of the chair and leaned over the Corporal’s shoulder with the other, calm eyes quietly studying the building in front of her.

“Oscar 2-2 is moving in from the rear, they caught eyes on some combatants taking their vehicles into a parking garage.” Burns replied, indicating to the parking garage street access. Then, he zoomed back out using the tiny drones’ cameras and changed the filter: first, the drone cycled into thermal and displayed several different contacts, but due to the top-down angle the display was muttled. “We’ve got a dozen, maybe twenty in there -- no definitive confirmation on hostages or tangos, likewise.”

“We’re assaulting a well defended position with who knows how many shit heads waiting for us. This has all the definition of going charlie foxtrot in an instant. Do we have those MG positions set up yet?” Elettra inquired, then pointing at two other positions where Echo and Alpha squads were encroaching to provide fire support directly onto the entrance and front facade of the building. Burns looked intently at where the 2nd Lieutenant had indicated, then reached a hand up to a headset.

“This is Watchdog Zulu to GPMG teams, are you boys operational yet?”

Elettra and Burns waited patiently as the headset crackled briefly, and then a long sigh from the other end as a marine keyed into the comms. “This is Piper, we’re in position off the structure’s right flank -- got a pretty good sight in to the first couple stories, no activity yet though.”

“This is Scott, we’re locked and cocked to the left flank. Ready to ventilate these fuckers.”

“Very good, tell them to keep an eye out while Bravo moves into position: get the rest of the infantry into the Boxers and move them to the structure, Corporal Burns.” Elettra commanded, scrolling back with a sharp finger on the display before landing on the four M8-97 Boxer infantry fighting vehicles ahead of the Phase Line.

Burns nodded promptly, tabbing out of the drone window and then opening the communications to the marine platoon assembled at the southern end of the plaza. “This is Watchdog: we are green lights marines, green lights. Time to make the grass grow ladies and gents.”

A few dozen meters ahead the growl of engines was heard, while behind them the rumble of a small gravspeeder pulsed through the air. The Second Lieutenant patted Corporal Burns on the shoulder, leaving him to his duties as she strode out from under the tarp to see a Pygmy patrol car stalling on the soft green of a the plaza lawn. Two marines sat at the front, one of them Elettra recognized as Ensign (Senior Grade) Rodrigo Kobe.

Kobe was the Company Assistant Leader, or CAL, of Oscar company. She only assumed Captain Loic had dispatched the Sorukan to oversee 2nd platoon’s little skirmish with a start-up gang of ne'er do wells and looters. The Ensign rose up from the seat, and slid out of the tiny patrol car. The two officers exchanged a brief salute, before Kobe brandished a tablet device and pointed towards the structure at the other end of the plaza.

“I hear your platoon’s found a chucklefuck pack.” Kobe inquired, following Elettra back to the small operations center and joined his platoon commander. Elettra briefly informed him of the situation, and the brief parcels of information Bravo squad: abhumans weren’t something unknown to the marines, but any eventuality would need to be encountered for in this upcoming engagement.

“We’ll be conducting our main assault from the front, but we have a squad investigating a possible entrance through a parking garage.” Elettra explained, indicating to first the marine positions on the flanks of the building and then the structure in question.

“Looks like you’re ready to open up hell on these poor sonsabitches. You got any info on the bellicoms?” Kobe asked, looking over the displays in front of him. As assistant leader he had been one of the first to hear about any possible groups that would stand in the way of the 44ths custodianship of the city, whether they would oppose the marines on any sort of ethical grounds or otherwise.

“Abhumans, armed too from what we got from Bravo’s ECHOS so I ordered the marines in full gear in the case we run into some unexpected situations.” Elettra responded, motioning for Burns to bring up video footage of the Nomad drone and Bartel’s guncam footage of the gang’s action in the plaza.

“Nothin’ our boys haven’t handled before. They already know we’re coming so you’re gonna’ have to hit them hard and fast, understand? We’ll have air support on station in twenty, but I want some bodies stacked by the time they get here alright? You’ve got enough drones to offset any advantage they might have and enough firepower to turn that building into fuckin’ rubble alright?” Kobe said, pointing first to the IFVs and then to the hardened MG positions.

“Just what I was thinking, I’ve got two squads in the Boxer’s with some ABEs in the main assault -- I still think we have a Nomad or two in the AO as well, but I don’t think they’ll be any use inside the structure.” Elettra commented, standing back from the display with her arms crossed over her exoskin.

“Good plan, Lieutenant -- alright Corporal Burns, patch me in to your boys.” Kobe ordered, tapping the Corporal on the shoulder as he pried a handset from the plastic desk in front of him and handing it to the Ensign.

“You’re loud on the horn sir.”

Kobe held the wireless receiver and then walked out of the small hut, leaning against the hood of the Matador as he spotted the IFVs and marines filing into them. “Listen up you devils, this is Watchdog Actual, we’ve got another marine platoon inbound but you sorry fucks better make sure these locals are in the ground by the time First platoon gets here. I wanna’ see some blood marines, so get your lazy asses in gear!”

Lance Corporal Lee Phelps crawled into the rear of the Boxer IFV with Specialist Matos and two other marines. Another two Bellator module ABEs were already waiting inside for them, the infantry drones silently watching as their human comrades took their seats. One of them quietly adjusted the ill-fitted tactical vest over its metallic frame and then fixed the MAW-18 across its lap.

“Shit, Ensign Kobe’s here. Bloodthirsty fucker’s really been waiting to throw a platoon into the grinder.” Corporal Barton Young remarked, nestling himself beside one of the ABE as the other marines piled in and the Boxer rumbled forward. The gunner behind the Boxer’s 25mm autocannon, Corporal Stalls, let out a short chuckle as he nursed at a flask of whiskey in his gunner’s seat.

“Looks like you boys are Kobe’s hammer. I’ll be sure to put a few rounds in as you guys rush the front.”

“Shut the fuck up.” Specialist Matos called from the troop compartment, hanging the carbine between his legs and pilfering the ABEs vest beside him. He drew out a pack of cigarettes and quickly pulling a zippo from his own fatigues. “We all know you pussies in MARCAV need to feel like you’re important.”

“I’m just the guy that gets you from point A to point B without a shell fragment in your guts … hey Wallie, we’re good to go!” Stalls shouted to the driver, an Armis ABE, who shot back a quick thumbs up before throwing the Boxer into gear. The twenty tonne IFV trundled through a small batch of hedges, thick black smoke belching from the rear of the vehicle as it crawled on towards the bank. “There she is boys, OP Victor! Wonder if I can pick up my tax return here.”

“Like an Amerian ever paid taxes!” Matos chuckled from the compartment, while the other marines let out short laughs here and there as they bounced in the rear of the Boxer. The two ABEs remained poignantly silent as the Boxer continued on, as Corporal Stalls gripped at the cycler of the 25mm autocannon.

“The fuck you think landed me in the Exogarden? Alright Wallie, we’re hot to rock! Blue Two and Three are on the flanks now! Hit the tunes, buddy!” Stalls called down to his driver, and the Armis droid shot one three-pronged hand out to a display on its right. Rudimentary speakers in the front and rear of the Boxer started to thrum with the harsh tones of a guitar and drum.

“Alright hold it there Wallie, I’m gonna’ put a GM through the front door!” Stalls yelled out, lurching forward with the marines as the Boxer ground to a halt forty meters from the entrance of the building. He quickly toggled through the weapons, ignoring the ping and pang of rounds bouncing off the vehicle as an TGM reticle pulsed in front of his vision. He lined the sight up with the glass front of the bank, waiting until he heard a soft, growling tone in his ear.

The AK30R Oroset missile launched with a deafening whoosh, streaking from the missile rack rigged to the side of the Boxer’s turret. A line of exhaust fishtailed out behind it, before it came impacting with a crushing explosion that sent glass and metal screeching away from the facade of the building. Glass tinkled along the ground and street as the boom reverberated along the structures lining the plaza. “Knock knock motherfuckers!”

In the rear of the Boxer, the doors slowly opened with a mechanical groan as first LCP Phelps, then Matos filed out on either side of the IFV. Their weapons rattling as they unleashed a brief fusillade of fire into the structure. The ABEs sprang out next, breaking into a sprint across the street and towards the bare cover of the bank’s entrance. While the droids advanced, Phelps and the other marines sprayed automatic fire into the ground floor of the building

“Get some motherfuckers, get some!” Lance Corporal Hame Zouch yelled from behind a small stone wall, rattling away with the MG-40B at any target that would make itself a target on the first few floors of the structure.

An ABE hefted a GL-91 grenade launcher in its hands besides LCP Phelps, racking the pump once and then sending a gas canister careening into the first two stories of the building with adequate precision. Glass and metal rended once more, spilling out onto the stone below as Matos crawled sideways around a stone outcropping. Before the Bellator could withdraw back into cover though, the staccato bark and snap of a rifle round tore into the droid’s midsection and unleashed a brilliant spark of flame and wiring.

Phelps had to instinctively crouch back into cover as bullets ripped into the hard stone and granite of the plaza’s walking paths. Half a dozen meters away, a marine took a ricochet in the knee as his disembarked, painting the cobble stone behind him a misty crimson before he dropped to the ground screaming.

“We need to move Phelps, they’ve got the IFVs targeted!” Matos shrieked from behind his cover, not bothering to reveal himself as another droid a few meters behind them took a round straight through its oblong cranium.

Before Phelps could respond, the turret of the IFV swivelled and released a deafening bark as the 25mm cannon strafed the building from left to right. Plaster and concrete all showered on the floor below as another fireteam of ABEs advanced, several taking glancing blows to their legs or chests as they simply rushed headlong into the foray.

Phelps, and three other marines along with Matos, remained cowered in their quickly eroding patch of cover as the IFV began to crawl backwards. Still laying down fire, Phelps realized it would be now or never if the fireteam of marines were going to make their move into the structure. “Alright, yeah Matos. Cartwright, Zouch, Young, we need to move! Follow the ABEs but keep spread out, go go go!”

Still as the three IFVs barraged the structure, the marines broke out into a sprint. Several others to their left attempted to do so as well, but were forced back into cover when PFC Cotter was struck in the clavicle by a lucky round which required his comrades immediate attention. As the five marines rushed for the front entrance, they stopped in the overwatch position of the first droid fireteam as they filtered in through the blasted hole in the front of the structure.

As the first ABE strode into the dimly lit atrium on two sleek, pronged feet the automaton swung its MAW-18 side to side. Four other Bellator’s followed, their metallic frames wrapped in loosely fitted assault vests and ballistic plating while they cradled various weaponry: one of them swept side to side with a pump-action shotgun, ready to dispose of any target that may appear as the droids waded into leg deep water.

Bright flash lights cut across the foyer of the bank as they entered the building, with each droid pointing a different direction as the last one, tagging along just a few meters behind, shot a quick hand signal back to Phelps and the other marines.

“Alright, they’re in -- standby for entry and watch the corners.” Phelps said in a hushed tone, though with the din of machinegun and cannon fire his voice was forced to transmit across squad-comms while Zouch perched his MG-40B on the twisted wreckage of a window pane.

as written by Krysis

The bank was fortified with scrap metal in key places, and the gang within had defended it before from rivals. This was their first stand off with actual military forces though. The front doors, monstrosities of metal welded to more metal (car hoods and rebar mostly), were blown back with the missile. The entrance being destroyed loosed a flood of filthy water, about ankle deep, to cascade down the battered granite steps towards the ground.

At the top of the stairs, Shock knelt just out of sight, leaning back against the wall that defined the hallway that the stairs lead to. One hand laid on the old fire hose that Tears was crouched over, further out of the line of fire. The blonde woman grinned at Jaz and murmurs, "This takes me back. Nothing like fighting for your life to make you appreciate even the bad days."

The nymph glowered at Shock and Jaz, but had nothing to say. Considering that Tears looked like she had fallen face-first into a pool of rotting blood not too long ago and only got briefly splashed with somewhat cleaner water, perhaps this was a good thing. While the hose looked ordinary, the sheer amount of water gushing into the lobby from the nozzle was clearly not possible if normal physics were applied.

Shock closed her eyes when the doors were destroyed, but otherwise was unmoved. Higher up in the building, there were some shouts, and a child started wailing in fear. Even with all the bullets unleashed on the building, it didn't seem to be too badly torn up. The lead sank into the granite facade and lodged in the concrete, metal, and thick sheets of insulation. They were leaving neat holes and dust, but only cosmetic damage.

Rook's voice came over the walkie-talkies they had, "Wait." he instructed as he watched from his perch somewhere on the third floor. When it seemed that only the four soldiers were going to enter until the 'clear' was given, he growled in annoyance, "Now." to instruct Shock to do her thing. Electrical energy built up and then released, remarkably like a lightning strike, flashing the fire hose to ashes where her finger rested and sending bone-crisping volts up and down the water line, including into the flooded floor below. "Be ready to move." Rook's calm bass tone rumbled then, and Tears lurched to her feet, though Shock stayed crouched.

There was no windows on the second floor, but the third, fourth and fifth seemed to be easy to puncture with the flying grenades. In one room on the third floor, any grenades flew back out just as fast as they came in. It was almost like someone was standing in there with a baseball bat and treating it like a batting cage session.

Higher up, there seemed to be an unexpected amount of movement. Dark-haired women with rifles regularly appeared at half the windows at any particular moment, but shooting them didn't seem to do any good. Most of their shots never seemed to connect. However, when one of them did hit what she was aiming at, it was usually devastating. Once in a while, there would be a blonde male, and his aim seemed to be very good, but just not as lucky.

About the time that someone was figuring out that almost all the dark-haired women were illusions without mass or heat (the male also lacked heat), there was a boiling at one window on the side of the building. It was a mass of movement that turned out to be about a hundred football sized bats that swooped down on the marines. Perhaps they were somewhat ineffective, but the wing-spans did block views at least. The little flying monsters were smart enough that any un-tucked ponchos were an invitation for them to go after legs and bellies instead of just the faces. For some reason, they knew to only go after flesh and blood soldiers, leaving the ABEs and machinery alone.

As for the squad that might enter through the parking garage, the smell of old death and disturbed rot might be warning enough. There was suggestions of movement, just beyond the edge of daylight, and brown splotches that looked like they might be footprints across exposed pavement between the sad remains of chopped cars and discarded parts.

as written by FizzGig

All of you are fucking crazy, Jaz thought to herself when Shock turned to her with an almost maniacal grin on her face. She couldn’t necessarily exclude herself from the Nut Club, but at least she didn’t make an effort to meet danger and invite more of it…she usually left it behind. The way the building was rocking, and with all the racket all that damned ammunition was making…

“Jesus,” she hissed as the missile slammed into the front of the building. Dust fell from the ceiling, but otherwise the building remained stable. She happened to look back and catch Tears’ glower, which was met with a snarl of her own.

“The hell are you looking at?”

Rook’s voice barked over the walkie, and Shock delivered the requested jolt (though that was probably putting it mildly), startling the nymph and making Jaz pull a barely-concealed pout. She’d wanted to fry the jarheads herself. Good thing there were plenty of them to go around.

Her hands sparked, glittering in the flickering lights of the hall, and she barely concealed a smile.

“That was good,” Jaz acquiesced, glancing to Shock. “But I’m going to show you how it’s done.”

She cupped her hands, almost like she was rolling a snowball, feeling the energy flowing between her palms. The forces repelled, but were forced together, warping the air with heat as the kinetic energy created more and more friction. The almost invisible sphere began to faintly glow, and Jaz crouched just beyond the open door to the stairwell, watching and waiting.

They were going to get a welcome party they likely wouldn’t expect.

“Keep that floor wet.” She warned the nymph.

as written by Krysis

The droids kept in a tight formation, one aimed every direction with their weaponry at the ready and scanning the atrium in front of them. Where the occupants may have been expecting to witness a human forcing themselves into their fortress, what little visage of the automatons they may glean would speak to the caliber of opponent this band of vagrants and looters were up against. One of the 2nd platoon’s best advantages must have been convincing them they were the weekend warriors that made up the New Capricans.

Lance Corporal Phelps waited at the entrance with his fireteam of marines, crouching behind Zouch as he scanned left to right with the barrel of his MG-40B. The Lance Corporal watched the ABEs closely, only turning away from them to motion another fireteam of marines and droids over as they made the rush to the entrance. He sent a hand signal back to Private da Silva and Colman, who ran at a crouch to avoid what appeared to be eerie bat-like creatures trying to swoop down on the marines.

“Hey, anything yet?” da Silva inquired as he and the three other marines and four droids took position on either end of the entrance. Phelps turned back to the Specialist and shook his head, leaning away from Zouch and his small emplacement.

“No, something’s not right with these motherfuckers though. They put out so much heat just getting here there’s no way they’d just let us walk in -- “ Phelps was stopped as they all instinctively ducked when another guided missile went screaming into a window on the third story. Concrete and ash showered down onto the overhang above them, and as the marines recoiled, one of their comrades a dozen meters away at the exit of the plaza screamed.

“Take that, motherfuckers! Ah-ha!”

“They’re playing their cards close to their chest. They want to get as many of us in there as possible before -- “ da Silva’s voice was drowned out as, suddenly, Zouch gripped at the stock of the GPMG and laid a stream of automatic fire into the lobby. He screamed obscenities as he did.

“Fuckin’ fuck, fuck! They got the drones! I saw three combatants, on the second floor of the lobby! Fuck you, fucking natives!” Zouch yelled, spraying several more bursts of fire into the lobby and ensuring he doused every possible combatant in there with a spray of 10.9mm. Their velocity alone was enough to pockmark whatever they impacted, and often speared clean through to make short work of whatever was behind them.

“Cool it Lance Corporal, cool it. Cease fucking fire!” Phelps yelled, returning to the machinegunner and tapping him on the shoulder until he let his trigger off the weapon. He peered over the marine’s shoulder, and found that the four droids were now in a pile strewn across the lobby. He cursed under his breath, and then slid back into cover before looking at the faces of the marines. “Alright. Shit. We need to get our asses in there and secure the first floor -- I want those droids on point. You tin cans see anything in there, you fill it full of fucking holes understand?”

The four drones all nodded silently, and then rushed into the lobby. Phelps and Specialist Matos were next, quickly reaching the bottom of the lobby stairs and trying to find the quickest access to the next floor without using the elevator. Da Silva and the other marines were behind them on the main floor of the lobby, quickly securing it.

“Toss ‘em up marines.” Phelps said, looking up the stairs of the lobby: an access avenue lead to a stairway and that was where Phelps knew the marines would be safest in going into the next level. Rather than go walking blissfully into another ambush, however, he looked over to da Silva, Matos, Cartwright and Colamn then pried an FG-3 from his assault vest.

“Oh shit yeah. Time to get loud.” Colman said back, rising up from his crouch as he tore a bundle of V2-3 mini-frags from his own vest. As the droids took up overwatch, ensuring the marines would not be ambushed, Phelps and two other marines prepared a handful of grenades.

The Lance Corporal, Colman and da Silva all held their stance as they readied to throw: tossing one FG-3 and two batches of minifrags, seven grenades in total, in three directions from the base of the stairs would provide a blanket to anything lying in wait on the upper level of the lobby. “Alright. Three, two, one … “ Phelps counted down, prying the pin on the grenade and letting it cook for several seconds to ensure there was little to no chance of it being tossed back down at them.

“Eye on the birdie, ya' fuckbags!” Colman shouted as he threw the satchel of grenades up and over the lip of the ceiling. The bundle of three smaller fragmentation devices detached from one another as they struck the roof, and then bounced and tumbled away until coming to a stop. The second batch of minifrags, thrown by da Silva were exactly opposite Colman’s throw.

Then, the three marines quickly jumped back down the stairs after throwing their ordnance. They joined the drones and three other marines at defensive positions near the base of the stairs, waiting patiently for the grenades to detonate before they would rush the upper level and hopefully, overcome whatever had managed to survive the explosions.

as written by Krysis

"They sound pissed." Shock observed with a grin, scooping up the radio as she bounded to her feet while someone was shooting the first floor of the lobby. The blonde woman was somewhat depending on Jaz's efforts to keep them safe for a moment as she scampered for the stairs to the next floor up.

Rook's voice crackled over the speaker, "Get out of there, now! Defense three! Abandon two!" but his warning was too late, at least for Tears.

The red-headed nymph had a triumphant smile as she stood on the landing. She had kept the flooding up as instructed, and didn't bother to try to dodge the bullets that came after Jaz did her thing.

With her hands bound behind her still, she couldn't even give the universal signal of surrender. The 10.9m hunks of lead were soon making her slender body twitch and dance, slamming her up against the wall and then dropping her into a wheezing heap of bloody flesh, still laying on the battered hose.

Tears closed her eyes and hide her face against her shoulder when the grenades came flying up, but didn't even try to get away from the blast.
The water still filled the lobby and gushed from the mangled hose for another minute, but soon it turned red and smelled of copper. The temperature rose quickly as well, the metallic fluid soon steaming as it soaked into the boots and pants of anyone that waded into the first floor of the building. The stairs were all but impassable with the pressure of blood-flood making the granite steps slippery.

With so many explosions from so many grenades being tossed about willy-nilly, there was an ominous groaning from the second floor. A bit of the ceiling of the first floor would soon give way, dumping office furniture and at least one tumbling body into the rooms on the first floor. This was clearly visible as the soaked walls of the first floor rooms could not withstand the impacts, the plaster and drywall already compromised by gunfire between the more sturdy load-bearing metal pylons that held up the rest of the building.

"Shock! Report!" Rook bellowed, audible through the new holes in the building, as well as crackling over the walkie-talkie that the blonde woman still carried.

as written by FizzGig

Jaz sensed the onslaught of metal projectiles that came flying towards the building, and barely had enough time to prepare herself even as Shock made her quick exit. She glanced over her shoulder, prepared to call out a warning to Tears in the same moment that Rook came crowing over the com to do the same. It didn't matter. Plaster went flying, and the wet sound of bullets tearing into flesh landed sickeningly on Jaz's ears.

"Fuck fuck fuck!" She squished herself to the floor, propped on her side so she could maintain her focus on the sphere of energy in her hand. She was just going to have to free-hand it, then make a run for it when the bullets died down. There was nothing left for the nymph, except the tidal wave of blood that poured out of the hose.

Jaz sneered in disgust, shuffling to the head of the stairs and winding back. With a feral cry, she launched the sphere like a baseball down the flight of stairs, sensing it shift its trajectory as it slammed into the enormous wall of blood. There, down in the lobby, Jaz let go of the force that bound the two opposing energies together, and listened to the resounding, wet, BOOM. It rocked the building, sending a spray of blood and blasting through what remained of the glass in the lobby, showering anyone within a dozen yards of the visceral tide. She grit her teeth, turning and bear-crawling towards the safety of the second stair well, before crawling up to the next landing.

She got to the top, panting for breath, and wiped a hand across her mouth, unsurprised to find it covered in blood.

"Tears is dead!" she shouted, keeping low just in case the G.I.Fuckers decided to aim a bit higher. "Shock..."

Ah, damn. This was starting to get really intense.

as written by Azrican

As the grenades let out a resounding thunk when they went off, the marines all peeled out from their cover once again and went to spray the upper story with their automatic weapons. Phelps notched his M-18 into his shoulder and fired in quick bursts, hosing both the landing and the railings on either side of it with bullets before he heard the distinct bark and snap of electricity. Though he was a few steps up the stairway, he spun back quickly and motioned at the other marines to retreat.

“Incoming, incoming, everyone get the fuck down!” He screamed, bounding down the steps and punching Colman in the shoulder who then toppled down the last few steps. At the bottom of the stairs Phelps then jumped on top of the marine, while da Silva, Zouch and the two ABEs hauled themselves behind a banker’s desk when a bolt of energy went splashing through the lobby and then coated the marines in what could only be described as a gory tapestry of blood and viscera.

Phelps could feel a soft wetness creeping against the camouflage smock he wore, and cautiously rolled over to inspect himself. When he found no outstanding injuries he heard Colman sputtering underneath him, a thick slime of red and black smearing out onto the floor beneath him that caused Phelps to release a short gasp. When the marine began to instinctively throw elbows and knees, the Lance Corporal only chuckled as Colman shouted boisterously.

“God dammit Phelps, gimme’ a fuckin’ weeks pay if you want to fuck me! Get the fuck off!” The marine growled out, and quickly tossed the Lance Corporal off him before rolling onto his hands and knees and wiping at the smears of blood on his face. “Holy shit, what the fuck was that!”

“Told you, gotta’ watch out for those fuckin’ abhumans!” Zouch shouted from behind his cover, peeling over with his MG-40 scanning while da Silva and the ABEs sprinted out from cover. “Phelps, Jerry, you guys alright?” He continued, crouch-walking his way towards them and giving Phelps a short pat down as he collected himself at the foot of the stairs.

“We’re good, we need to get another team in here though. Clear the next floor and send it out -- you, gunbucket, get us some more fucking guns in here!” Phelps screamed out to an ABE, whom silently gave a thumbs up before raising a three-pronged finger to the side of its oblong head. The three other marines quickly sprinted up the stairs, weapons canvassing left to right. Colman had to wipe another streak of gore from his face to sight down his carbine, but was the last up the stairs and joined the two other men in a rough three-point formation.

"Clear right!"

"Clear left!"

"Whoever made that fuckin' human water balloon I'm going to fucking scalp! This shit tastes disgusting! Hey, we gotta' fuckin' corpse over here!" Colman screamed, taking a knee and letting his carbine hang across his chest as he frantically tried to clear the mire and crimson from his eyes and mouth. His gloves did little more than simply coat his features in it however.

Outside of the bank, the dull rattle of machinegun and cannon fire continued as the Boxer fighting vehicles alternated between one another in bringing more troops to the fold. Two remained at dug in positions on the plaza green at all times, firing into the upper stories with their 25mm autocannons and guided missiles. Fire had been directed away from the first stories, and were now instead focusing on whatever targets might appear that were reduced to taking potshots at the marines and infantry amassing for an assault on the lobby. Behind one of the Boxers that had just arrived back at its position, ferrying a fresh fireteam of marines, a First Sergeant pounded on the rear door of the armored vehicle and it slowly began to open with a mechanical shriek. "Up and at 'em marines, we need another team in that lobby!"

"Yessir!" A Corporal said, soon charging out of the vehicle and motioning his fireteam forward with a single hand. The other marines filed out behind him, breaking into a hasty run through the positions and then out into the street. The marines were forced to weave between cars, and vaulting over any other debris when necessary before finally reaching the steps of the bank.

"Hold the fuck up Prado! You're gonna' get us all fuckin' wasted!" Lance Corporal Cahan screamed, bringing up the rear of small procession of four marines and two more ABEs. Joining Corporal Prado, the marines all crouched at the gnarled remains of what was the entrance to the bank, as the Corporal pried his carbine from the holster along his back and leaned his head out into the open. "Two-Five Charlie in!" He called out into the gore spattered lobby, seeing one ABE turn on its feet to face them as another marine shouted back the all clear.

"Two-Five Charlie clear! Get your fuckin' asses in here, we need to waste these fuckers!"

After being on fire and having a rather large fight take place in the vicinity, the plaza was in a startling state of disrepair. Much of it was now soot-covered ruins littered with shells and bullet holes. It was here that something stepped into existence, flames igniting the air and giving life from ash that formed into the shape of a man. The ash condensed, then began to change its texture, its shape. Fine, sharp features became discernable. The paleness of the ash burned into a smooth tan. Brown hair raised up from his scalp and brows, and a blouse and breeches wrapped around his body. A coat shimmered into existence above him and fell neatly on his shoulders.

The man opened a startling pair of golden eyes that darted around the plaza. He spun around, taking in the terrible state of the area around him. "... so it's happened. I've missed them," mumbled the young man to himself. He reached into his shirt and drew out a round, golden object attached to a chain. Clicking a button on its side, a small door on its face swung open, revealing a clock. With his thumb, he lifted the clockface and revealed a socket behind it where a picture sat: two young men, one dark-haired and handsome, the other not unlike the one holding the clock, but... different in countenance.

"... maybe not by a lot," he mumbled, tucking the clock back into his coat.

Dusk shoved the monitor aside. It was useless. All systems were cooked. One moment, he was hiding within a nebula to avoid a few pirates, and the next thing he knew, his ship was flying towards the ground in someplace he had never seen before. As luck would have it, Dusk had little to no injuries, but the ship itself was practically unsalvageable.

Dusk groaned, throwing another monitor to the side before detaching himself from the ceiling of the control room. He forced his way through the twisted bent metal, all the while cursing under his breath. With a burst of a psionic pulse, he popped the hatch open, and squeezed out. The hatch crashed into the ground moments later, making a loud clanging sound.

Well, this was a mess. It looked like a war zone. Whatever it was, it looked like he missed it... thankfully.

"Hm?" One of the cameras embedded into Dusk's carapace had emitted a silent warning. Someone else was here...

Dusk tried to get as low as the ground as possible. Who was this person? This place didn't exactly look exactly peaceful, and who knew if this man was a soldier? Best not to take his chances... yet.

Dusk had made just enough noise to capture the attention of the young man, who had turned around calmly to face the direction where the creature was slinking.

"Who's there?" demanded the young man. "I know someone's there. I heard you. Show yourself."

Back