What Are You Playing? 2022 Edition!

Ver

Endearing Misanthrope
The Convergence Series GM
Yeah, I made a "What Are You Watching" thread and immediately decided to make another one about what video games we've been playing right after. So, same function as that one; what games have you been playing lately, and what are your thoughts on them?

Since I intended for this to be a record of the year's activities, I may as well start by catching up with everything I finished over the past month.

• The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles - A bundle of The Great Ace Attorney Adventures and The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve. I technically started this way back in December, but it's a bundle after all, so it took me quite a while to finish completely. A great addition to the series, sporting some of the best music in the franchise, and an engaging story, if a bit long-winded since the two games were definitely written to form one greater over-arching narrative.
  • Cyberpunk 2077 - I bought this last August from Best Buy, along with a steelbook case, for a total of $10. Quite a steal. I'm sure everyone's talked about the technical problems to death now, but oh, dear me. Bugs aside, it was a serviceable open-world game, I suppose. I didn't keep up with the hype for this at all, and I definitely think that was for the better in the end, since I didn't go in with much expectation.
  • Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro - Did you know, originally, the final battle of the game took place on the World Trade Center? But then 9/11 happened literally two weeks later, so they had to edit the games to remove any reference to the Twin Towers. That's probably the most interesting thing about this game.
  • Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Yeah, I miss Castlevania too, man. Also, Miriam, my beloved. You know this is an authentic 80s Nintendo experience because it makes you play through the game twice, sort of.
  • Doom 64 - It's always been really funny to me that Doom has cultivated its reputation as the ultra gory rip and tearing game, but the older games really had a much slower and deliberate pace, feeling more like puzzle arenas than anything else. And by "puzzles," I mean you run around aimlessly, looking for switches to pull, and then not get any input on what the switch did, so you have to run around the entire map again.
  • Tales of Crestoria - Mobile game that just shut down on February 6. Don't play gacha games, kids.

Currently, for me I,ve been playing...

Pokemon Legends: Arceus. Great game, but I'm the only person I know who hasn't gotten a shiny.

Arknights: Got into it a month or so ago, grinding is hell, but the plot is fun (If you can keep up with it, lol. Only part I understand is WAIFU. And my insane luck. I already have like 5 6-star units??????)

Jenshin Impact: If you couldn't by my PFP, yes, I play the game with husbando. And no, I do not have Arrataki Itto. I just like the character.

And to top it off....

Hollow Knight: Got it for my birthday, and I've been playing it bit by bit. Its hard for me, cause I suck tho so thats fun. Still a great game tho!

Let’s see...
On PC, I’ve been playing the Nancy Drew series. They're old point and click mystery puzzle games, but they have a lot of charm and I grew up with them, so the nostalgia factor is strong. I can play through them fairly quick but they're still fun nonetheless.

I've also been playing the Hitman World of Assassination Trilogy. I've really enjoyed all the little details and such packed into it, and figuring out what exactly to do is pretty neat. They're just well put together games.

I also did Bloodborne PSX for a bit. It's a fun way to kill a few hours, and incredibly well done project. Also probably the closest we'll get to Bloodborne on PC :<

On Switch, I've been playing Vigil: The Longest Night which is a really good Metroidvania with Bloodborne-esque aesthetics and a really super pretty artstyle.

If I had to list everything I've been playing I would be here all night so I'm going to keep it to games I've clocked more than a few hours on.

Genshin Impact: I've been playing since release and
despite the very toxic fanbase I love the game play, the characters, and chatting with my friends about the game (as we all play together).

Tears of Themis: Another gacha game by Mihoyo but a cute one at that. I dig the characters and I'm interested in where the main story is going but man if they don't punish you for missing your dailies.

Destiny 2: After not playing for two years, my boyfriend and I decided to get back into it and we managed to drag some friends with us too. It's still somewhat of a grind to get to end game but the loot system is very rewarding and the raids are fun.

Valorant: The relationship I have with this game can be summarized with one sentence: I don't like this game but I don't want to be bad at it either. Having friends there definitely helps though.

League of Legends: My friends and I don't play as much as we used to but like a bad cough, league has a funny way of worming itself back into our lives. And with the new champion coming out I can see us playing even more.

Lastly, this doesn't count but Lost Ark will be coming out soon and I plan to give it a try since it's the first MMO that has piqued my interest in many years.

Here's hoping it's as good as they say it is!

Usually, I play the same games every year, but I don't remember putting out a response to this last year so here we go..

Minecraft for my PC. I got it for the new Windows 10 launcher which mostly operates like the Xbox version. Playing with the new updates is kind of confusing for someone who has been playing on 1.14 on the WiiU for years. I DON'T KNOW HOW NETHERITE WORKS AGHH!! Anyone who might want to start an SMP with me can DM me! i need friends..

I've also been re-playing a bunch of my Pokemon games. These include, but are not limited to Pokemon Gold, Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon White, Pokemon Omega Ruby, Pokemon Sun, Pokemon Ultra Sun, Pokken Tournament, and Pokemon Sword.

New month, new post! Here's an update on what other games I've played through since my last post.

• No More Heroes - Suda51 is the James Gunn of video games, which checks out as they've also collaborated together to make Lollipop Chainsaw. Oozes with sheer style and personality, it's no wonder this game is regarded as a modern classic. The PC port sucks really bad though.
  • The Silver Case - There's a part where a character just stops the story dead in its tracks to ask you one hundred trivia questions back to back, with topics ranging from technology, history, animals, and film to the actual murder case you're supposed to be investigating. The sheer audacity. I love it.
  • Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - Yeah, I'm that bitch playing Halo for the first time in 2022 because I didn't own an Xbox back in the day. Holds up okay, I suppose. This game is 20 years old alright, that's for sure.
  • No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle - Undoubtedly a step down from its predecessor, but there's few games that have as much style and personality as anything made by Grasshopper Manufacture.
  • Flower, Sun, and Rain - Walking simulator before Death Stranding made it cool. The only game ever made for mathematicians. Makes fun of you at every turn and you will like it. Another box to check in my journey through the works of Suda51.

Heh...
Rimworld... though my steam account has prolly around 70 games which I still haven't gotten to try yet.

Thinking on returning to warframe though... And maybe no man's sky...

I love space and sci-fi / science-fantasy related games and stories.

Thoughts on rimworld: Overly complex and brain-twisting for a seemingly simple 2D sci-fi survival game.
It seems like The sims with added combat and resource management while building a colony...

Yeh... pretty much space sims pfff

A little late, but I figured I may as well spark some more convo by sharing a little more for the new month!

• The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - Sean Chiplock has been claimed from the Genshin fandom in the name of the Trails fandom.
  • Killer7 - Pretty sure this game predicted the fall of Jeffrey Epstein.
  • Halo 2 Anniversary - Gorgeous new cutscenes, I'll say that much.
  • The Devil on G-String - One of baby's first visual novels for people who at least knew what a visual novel was before 2017. And I should know, I'm a Fate fan.
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Now this is a real winner of the Metroidvania genre, speaking as someone who's normally not too into it.

Let's see here..

Genshin Impact - Wanted to play the game for a long time and I finally got it.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Wholesome and I share with my siblings.

Mario Kart Deluxe - A game I also play with my siblings

Sims 4 - My sims once left their child in the house all alone

Final Fantasy 7 Remake - I enjoy this game very much

Final Fantasy 15 - Also enjoyable especially when you get to camp

Back