What are your thoughts on TikTok getting banned in the US?

Increment

I really don't think TikTok should be banned. I don't see why it's getting banned anyway. But there are similar apps like TikTok such as Zynn and Triller.

it sets up a bad principle that if you don't like something you can simply ban it, that could work with anything and the political group that opposes the establishment could get censored if they have a website or phone app.

Ban it. The issue is that TikTok is Chinese spyware and who knows what they're doing with the data they collect on us? There's a reason why TikTok was banned in other countries. It's too damn shady and flat-out shouldn't exist.

Tiktok has a keylogger in it, that's why it's not good. Also, it tracks your location, age, name, and other personal info. If you want to post short videos, post them on Youtube or something instead of a shady chinese-owned app.

I feel both sides of this, one TikTok does trach personal info, but also, it brings some communitys together. Like for ex. I am a gay femail, and have been in the closet for a very long time, and what we all call gay Tiktok, has been very supportive over it, and welcoming. But it's not right to steal personal info, and other stuff...

Someone had told me that the spyware was mostly set up to see whos a possible ally to china. (I dont beleive this for sh*t)

But that aside, I can understand why it should be banned. Personally I think it should be flagged for that ahead of time. But Due to the adds I have seen in the USA of TickTockers it seems that it has began to target younger audiences. The app stores should advise people of the spyware, and people should do the research themselves if they want this app on their devices. They should also be sure to actually read through the apps "private policy" ahead of time for anything they might deem as shady. Because when they do sign up, and click "I Agree to these terms" they are willingly signing up for this spyware to get into their device. Therefore that would put that situation into their hands, and not exactly chinas. Much like contracts and spam calls in a way. I believe it should perhaps be marked for mature audiences only that have a better understanding of these sorts of apps and by all means can deal with that situation on their own or removed from the app store. Adds in the US should also be taken down as well to avoid targeting younger audiences..

Last edited:
I didn't know about this about I came across this post by chance, so thank you!

As for what to do, while the loss of a community is obviously painful remember that you can always create a new one. The people you met there are what made it a community and they can go with you to other places.

Giving the Chinese access to too much data is simply too dangerous to be allowed. Especially if the US stays stuck in it's current downward spiral.

The Patriot Act shouldn't exist, it's a massive infringement on rights to privacy.
Letting a foreign corporation do it, let alone in a country where these corporations are very closely tied to the government, is worse.
If I could flick a switch and make it happen, i'd ban all consumer data harvesting/tracking.

The Patriot Act shouldn't exist, it's a massive infringement on rights to privacy.
Letting a foreign corporation do it, let alone in a country where these corporations are very closely tied to the government, is worse.
If I could flick a switch and make it happen, i'd ban all consumer data harvesting/tracking.

This

Back