What do you look for in a 1x1 search?

Natalya Rostova

Two Four Six Oh One
Hello all! I'm new to Storyteller's Circle, but I'm no stranger to 1x1 role play searches.

Obviously, you need to post basic rules and expectations so that potential partners know what you're looking for:
- Preferred post length
- Genres
- Limits
- Character info (gender, sexuality)
- etc. etc.

I would consider the above (and several other matters) mandatory for a role play search. However, how much information is TOO much for you? I've seen some people keep things short and sweet, while others write a novel of information. I lean toward the latter. I like to get as much information out there as possible so as to save time and not cause confusion in the long run. I like to make sure that when someone contacts me about a role play, they are fully aware of my preferences and expectations.

Do you prefer something short and sweet or something long and thoroughly informative? I want to know your opinions! c:

Usually long. Because I like writing. Short if I'm milking someone for details about something they've created.

Generally I think it depends for me.
If it's a search for OC's and things of that nature, I'll usually have a long list of details, limits and things that I expect of my potential partners.

If it's for something fandom related, I tend to not be as picky since I love fandoms in general so it'll mainly be a list of what I'm into and my limits. c':

Since I'm pretty much 100% a fandom rper, I look for 1x1s where someone would do canon/canon type things. I can do OC/Canon if I like the OC enough, but usually I leave a 1x1 search if I can't find that, since I just love canon stuff so much/can't play an OC to save my life. Meaning I don't 1x1 very much, but I don't mind lol.

Your profile picture reminds me of Anastasia Romanov :)

I look for detail, more detail the better. I also enjoy role-playing with someone who can chat out of the role-play. I pay attention to expectations, for my role-play partners to be aware of my expectations and vice versa.

I have a pretty short list of expectations. If I'm bothered by something, I won't hesitate to let the other person know, and I expect the same treatment.

Also, micromanaging is never the solution to making a roleplay successful. From my experience, people like to be told what they did right rather than being given a list of do's and don't's.

Hello all! I'm new to Storyteller's Circle, but I'm no stranger to 1x1 role play searches.

Obviously, you need to post basic rules and expectations so that potential partners know what you're looking for:
- Preferred post length
- Genres
- Limits
- etc. etc.

I would consider the above (and several other matters) mandatory for a role play search. However, how much information is TOO much for you? I've seen some people keep things short and sweet, while others write a novel of information. I lean toward the latter. I like to get as much information out there as possible so as to save time and not cause confusion in the long run. I like to make sure that when someone contacts me about a role play, they are fully aware of my preferences and expectations.

Do you prefer something short and sweet or something long and thoroughly informative? I want to know your opinions! c:
that actually sums up every thought I had. But, for like response length... it literally depends on what is going on in that moment for the rp. So... if its like a low point, I understad if the replies are shorter, but as long as they inclide detail in something I can actually use to my advantage instead of... " He sat down, smiled, waved, and went back to texting." but, when it comes to a high pont in the rp... I like longer replies because of the action, you can never have enough detail explain what is going on.

However, how much information is TOO much for you? I've seen some people keep things short and sweet, while others write a novel of information. I lean toward the latter. I like to get as much information out there as possible so as to save time and not cause confusion in the long run. I like to make sure that when someone contacts me about a role play, they are fully aware of my preferences and expectations.

It's difficult to have too much information, as long as it's organized well. Good use of bullets, emphasis tags, and good old-fashioned summaries can make even the longest infodump easily readable. If I can get the pertinent information out of a post quickly, then read back for details as needed, it's much more likely to elicit a favorable response from me.
s are great for categorizing data, and spares someone the agony of trawling a list of disparate concepts for the few that fit their favorite genre.

(Take this with a grain of salt, I guess, since I'm something of a lapsed roleplayer... *guilty face*)

- Preferred post length
- Genres
- Limits
- etc. etc.

Hello I am trying to broaden my horizons as much as I can as I think I'm still not fully approved
So anyways I search for long term novel partners. People I can be friends with and spend time talking. I don't have much friends in real life since I moved a year or two ago... to put it lightly. So friends online is huge even if that sounds kind of sad.
I also like people who can match me as I do write a lot. Four paragraphs minimum but I prefer a lot more.

There is no such thing as too much information. In my mind that is a very poor and pathetic excuse from script rpers
If we followed that logic then GOT wouldn't exist or Marvel or Star Wars or Star Trek. All we would have is dumbass Transformers. So no there is no such thing as too much information but there is a thing called not trying and putting in no information. Aka Bayformers or Bay Transformers

I am flexible with any genre but I get really mad when people act super hostile to sci fi and act like fantasy is nothing like sci fi. Spoilers. Sci fi fantasy and fantasy are the same thing
I also don't care what gender my rper is

Oh.
I do hate human characters though. I may make a RARE exception but typically I prefer other races. With billions of options, if I have an rper who will only play as human, it to me says they don't want to try so why should I waste my time trying on them? If they have non human characters and 1 or 2 human characters then sure that's fine

I also don't care what gender my rp partner is so long as you don't get into some dumb social justice shit. I've never had to mention that with rpers and hopefully I still won't need to

Most important thing for me to clarify with other rpers is what you consider the highlight of an rp, because that can drive a lot of our decision making in an rp. Are you in it for the romance? The drama? Or maybe just exploring character dynamics. Me I'm a big fan of pvp roleplaying, which heavily influences my choice of genre and character roles. For example, I tend to prefer fantasy or sci-fi rps and will likely set my character up as someone meant to be responsible for conflict resolution in whatever world the rp has created.

I'm sure not everyone has a preference, and will be happy no matter what happens, but it might be worth considering.

Most important thing for me to clarify with other rpers is what you consider the highlight of an rp, because that can drive a lot of our decision making in an rp. Are you in it for the romance? The drama? Or maybe just exploring character dynamics. Me I'm a big fan of pvp roleplaying, which heavily influences my choice of genre and character roles. For example, I tend to prefer fantasy or sci-fi rps and will likely set my character up as someone meant to be responsible for conflict resolution in whatever world the rp has created.

I'm sure not everyone has a preference, and will be happy no matter what happens, but it might be worth considering.

Eh I don't really call it that. I'd say that's more like what children playing MMO's would call it. No offense sorry for being rude
I have conflict in my rps. Characters can fight each other. There can be conflicting factions after all my setting is a massive universe
It's not some dumb MMO shit for little kids who want to go around waving around their imaginary fake dicks and bragging about all their loot and how much pwnage they are. That's yeah no not how I do things.

Sure I have romance, action, horror, drama, sex, combat, all of that in my setting as it's like an interactive universe

If you took offense to anything I said, it wasn't a personal attack. I just don't have a kid filter so nothing I said was meant to be rude or an attack.

If you want PVP rps maybe Amino? Seems like there are a lot of fast pace rapid rpers there like for PVP

Eh I don't really call it that. I'd say that's more like what children playing MMO's would call it. No offense sorry for being rude
I have conflict in my rps. Characters can fight each other. There can be conflicting factions after all my setting is a massive universe
It's not some dumb MMO shit for little kids who want to go around waving around their imaginary fake dicks and bragging about all their loot and how much pwnage they are. That's yeah no not how I do things.

Sure I have romance, action, horror, drama, sex, combat, all of that in my setting as it's like an interactive universe

If you took offense to anything I said, it wasn't a personal attack. I just don't have a kid filter so nothing I said was meant to be rude or an attack.

If you want PVP rps maybe Amino? Seems like there are a lot of fast pace rapid rpers there like for PVP

No worries amigo, I see where you're coming from, we just got different interpretations of the phrase is all. I use it because I'm big into the video game scene, but I can see how it would seem a little demeaning from your perspective. Like I'm boiling down your complex universe full of characters into a glorified sports field. Thanks for the advice about Amino, but we've got enough straight combat rps in the battle arena for my taste, writing action is fun sometimes, but it gets pretty boring if there's no real character interactions or world exploration. I'm also a big fan of world building, another big draw factor for fantasy and sci-fi rps. Getting the chance to strip away the rules of our reality and play god to a whole new existence is a really fulfilling thing, especially when you get to watch other people explore and understand your creation. Rest assured matey, I got mad respect for the art of writing as being about a hell of a lot more than pointless action and fiery explosions, doesn't mean those moments don't still get me on the edge of my seat.

No worries amigo, I see where you're coming from, we just got different interpretations of the phrase is all. I use it because I'm big into the video game scene, but I can see how it would seem a little demeaning from your perspective. Like I'm boiling down your complex universe full of characters into a glorified sports field. Thanks for the advice about Amino, but we've got enough straight combat rps in the battle arena for my taste, writing action is fun sometimes, but it gets pretty boring if there's no real character interactions or world exploration. I'm also a big fan of world building, another big draw factor for fantasy and sci-fi rps. Getting the chance to strip away the rules of our reality and play god to a whole new existence is a really fulfilling thing, especially when you get to watch other people explore and understand your creation. Rest assured matey, I got mad respect for the art of writing as being about a hell of a lot more than pointless action and fiery explosions, doesn't mean those moments don't still get me on the edge of my seat.

Sci fi video game fast rping and playing video games together like PVP is big on Amino. Deviantart? Not as much. A little bit but far far less than Amino. Devianart it's one or the other. You either play video games PVP or rp. It's rare the two mix on there
I do a lot of world building. Again my own custom universe but I don't think we would get along because I am pretty adament against god mode
Plus I am even more against PVP. I like structured combat. Not waving your Dick around every second because then I feel like I'm stuck with children like in a room full of marvel fanboy children and I just want to groan and go EUGGGGGHHHH -sighs- and that to me is what PVP is and before you counter that, PVP is centered around score boards so there is some truth to what I say but if it's too insulting then instead I'll say PVP Is Project Freelancer (RVB reference)

You said no to Amino so
Ehh you could try devianart but it's rare very rare your going to find someone who wants to play PVP video games and rp
And if you find anyone they will most likely be a fast script/ text rper

Sci fi video game fast rping and playing video games together like PVP is big on Amino. Deviantart? Not as much. A little bit but far far less than Amino. Devianart it's one or the other. You either play video games PVP or rp. It's rare the two mix on there
I do a lot of world building. Again my own custom universe but I don't think we would get along because I am pretty adament against god mode
Plus I am even more against PVP. I like structured combat. Not waving your Dick around every second because then I feel like I'm stuck with children like in a room full of marvel fanboy children and I just want to groan and go EUGGGGGHHHH -sighs- and that to me is what PVP is and before you counter that, PVP is centered around score boards so there is some truth to what I say but if it's too insulting then instead I'll say PVP Is Project Freelancer (RVB reference)

You said no to Amino so
Ehh you could try devianart but it's rare very rare your going to find someone who wants to play PVP video games and rp
And if you find anyone they will most likely be a fast script/ text rper

Okay so you and I clearly aren't communicating very well mate, but that's no surprise with text-based conversations. PVP carries a lot more meaning for you than it does for me, so I think the best way to resolve this discussion is for us to rp together some time, I'm confident we'll both enjoy ourselves quite a bit.

Okay so you and I clearly aren't communicating very well mate, but that's no surprise with text-based conversations. PVP carries a lot more meaning for you than it does for me, so I think the best way to resolve this discussion is for us to rp together some time, I'm confident we'll both enjoy ourselves quite a bit.

Errrrr but we aren't understanding each other very well
Would you like to talk on skype? And I mean text on Skype. I feel weird using my voice with people and it's lead to personal issues I won't get into

Errrrr but we aren't understanding each other very well
Would you like to talk on skype? And I mean text on Skype. I feel weird using my voice with people and it's lead to personal issues I won't get into
Sorry mate I don't use Skype, why don't we just leave it for now? We'll see each other around the site, and we'll have better luck understanding each other after we've both been posting for awhile. If nothing else, let's get this personal conversation out of this person's thread, yeah?

Sorry mate I don't use Skype, why don't we just leave it for now? We'll see each other around the site, and we'll have better luck understanding each other after we've both been posting for awhile. If nothing else, let's get this personal conversation out of this person's thread, yeah?
Sure sound good mate =) sorry to hear you don't use Skype
I love it and think it's a fantastic tool. Sorry you don't use it

I prefer to have a lot of descriptions for the world/it's conflict, and then I like to have open-ended freedom for my own character. I definitely agree with Captain C, it's important to highlight the most important part of the rp for so I can design my character accordingly.

The biggest thing for me though is I need to hear, "Let's try this out and see how it goes." Sometimes things don't take off, or they take off differently than you had sketched out, and that's okay. But nothing kills a muse more than feeling locked into a rp, or feeling like you have to force your character to stay in a mold. Reasonable creative freedoms are nice.

Hi!

Reading the various answers, I'm not sure I understood the question, but... here goes.

For me, the original post looking for partner(s) should be crisp and clean.
Sure, you can talk about everything and go into every detail, but... In my opinion and experience, you need to catch the attention of your reader. Too much details and the fish is drowned. Be clear about what you want and what you are offering (it's always a two-way street), and give general info about the setting. As was mentioned, this can also be done through good use of tags, spoilers, indents, etc.
But the information has to be available readily.

When it comes to writing however, well that's a whole other story, and that will depend on every story and what has to be said. My aim usually is to set the environment. I do try to keep in mind Chekov's gun: if it won't be used or has no impact, it has no place in the story. But it's important for me to have a feel of the place, the characters, the emotions, etc. Setting a scene, y'know.

Back