What do you want to avoid during a RP?

Many of these have been brought out now, but this is my non-exclusive list. The worst for me is #7.

1. One sided RP. Only one person who drives the RP story or plot or... much of anything.
2. Internal monologs. Please do something. Don't just think at me.
3. A week or more without replies or token posting.
4. Elitists. There is a line which should not be crossed. It is gray. Stay classy.
5. Making me read through a wall of text to see what was said or done. "Show don't tell!" Brevity can be a situational blessing.
6. Responding without fully reading my post. I put the details there for a reason.
7. Relationship bleed and real jealousy over in character things/relationships.

Filler content makes me cringe and not want to read any of these 4.000 words that were written. I will scrim through it, won't mention it to remain respectful but may also miss something that was key for the one writing it.

People disappearing. As a player and as a GM, could you at least tell us? Could you communicate with us if you showed interest in our roleplay and tell us why you lost interest? If you disappear, it will let down the other player, the GM and your own invested time will vanish. The five hours you spent on creating your char? Poof. Forever gone. The time other player put into interacting and bonding with your char? Poof. Gone. Time is a resource one will never have returned.

Basically all of Amino. If you've never heard of or been on Amino basically it's this app where people start communities with different topics and create chats in those communities. Now, somehow, roleplaying became a thing on Amino, which it shouldn't have. On the roleplaying community there's a chat being made every second where some inexperienced chap is going to join and either be a Mary Sue, an immortal Edgelord, a clinically insane caricature, or a romanticized fictional character. There's no order at all, it's all chaos :( people talking simultaneously, following their own characters' stories and everyone scattered who knows where. Hopefully the Amino Virus never reaches this place, it seems niec and gud so far.

ONE-FUCKING-LINERS. I can't stand that shit.

I'm going to piggy back off of this, and go the opposite direction. People who had unnecessary detail. I don't want to read six paragraphs about what your character had for breakfast and about their entire outfit. Yes, tell me what they're wearing but no need to go into an agonizing amount of detail about it.

That said, I don't *mind* long posts, it just depends on what's in them.

I don't have a lot of experience with roleplay, but one thing that I have experienced that I couldn't stand was people who don't do anything to move the plot forward. I was in a roleplay one time where I had to pretty much tell everyone what to do via my own characters because everyone else was just kinda standing around and doing nothing. It was super frustrating, because it could have been a good roleplay but it fell apart super quickly because no one except me wanted to interact with other characters or move the plot forward.

As a new roleplayer this list is very informative, I now know that one-liners are forbidden :p. My own pet peeve (that I mainly see in fanfiction, but which can also occur in roleplay especially with younger writers) is the blatant self insert. Though not 'self' exactly, more like the - teenage, part elf part demigod ruler of the universe complete with a unicorn and a shadow wolf sidekick - self.

I wouldn't say one-liners are forbidden, Saffi, depending on the roleplay you join. I personally cannot abide word limits on posts (I personally won't join roleplays that have mandatory post limits). Sometimes a post calls for five paragraphs of very in depth information. Sometimes a post calls for only a single line of dialogue. I once posted a one word post. The post was simply. "No."

Had I surrounded it with paragraphs of fluff, it would have lost that resounding emphasis on that single word that under the context of the post prior, was VERY powerful.

I would say it's more important to understand context, and only write what is necessary for that context. But always strive to leave your partner something to play off. If your posts are simple and one-sided, bare bones responsive and not offering anything in return for the other player to engage with? Then you likely have a problem.

I wouldn't say one-liners are forbidden, Saffi, depending on the roleplay you join. I personally cannot abide word limits on posts (I personally won't join roleplays that have mandatory post limits). Sometimes a post calls for five paragraphs of very in depth information. Sometimes a post calls for only a single line of dialogue. I once posted a one word post. The post was simply. "No."

Had I surrounded it with paragraphs of fluff, it would have lost that resounding emphasis on that single word that under the context of the post prior, was VERY powerful.

I would say it's more important to understand context, and only write what is necessary for that context. But always strive to leave your partner something to play off. If your posts are simple and one-sided, bare bones responsive and not offering anything in return for the other player to engage with? Then you likely have a problem.

This is what I have always said regarding post limits and one-liners. There is a time and a place and sometimes it makes more sense to have a few words then to have a few paragraphs.

To be honest, I have been guilty of answering in only one line. Please don't sue. I grew a little too comfortable and am currently trying to break from that. The opposite is a bit less true, but it's also a thing. Sorry for that, too.

For my answer, I dislike godmoders. It's just frustrating for everyone else in the roleplay, and having purposely written stories with god-level characters, things quickly become boring even for the godmoder. There's nothing to do with them. If it can be explained well and they're characterised properly, alright, that's okay, but if they're flat characters, I get this urge to just outright leave the story for a while.

People who duck out mid way through the roleplay and never show up again (although I've been guilty of this myself).
Poor grammar.
Over using certain words.
Short replies that need more substance (I don't mind short replies, but if they have no substance, nothing to bounce off of, it irritates me).
On the other hand, unnecessary detail is also really annoying, and I can't stand that either.

Having players not know what to do next.
Have players not have enough to reply to, causing short posts. Being bland myself and making uninteresting posts.

What I avoid in RPs is rather simple, but running into these problems continuously drove me away from them for quite some time. They are:

• Over Technicalization. This happens mainly in sci-fi RPs, but when people design a faction whose technology is so based in modern day theories and technology that it saps away from the fiction itself and, more importantly, cuts away from other player's options in making factions. For example, "my anti-fighter and missile turrets turn at X speed and fire rounds at X rate and velocity that your pilots/guidance systems would have no chance at dodging them." "So you're saying to not invent fighters." "They would be pretty much pointless, so yah XD." It gets to the point that they're basically Mary-Sueing their faction to power by eliminating anything that could threaten their faction without adhering to their rules of technology, of which usually they only know. Now, I love detail in factions, and if you find some super cool way to make your ships turn on a dime or solved the technical problems with cloaking that's fits with modern scientific theory and technology, that's awesome. But they shouldn't be so powerful that they outright deny people's own faction choices unless everyone is agreed that they want an RP where technology has risen to a level that a concept, like a fighter, is obsolete.
  • Carbon Copy Characters: This one is simple. It happens when you do an RP and someone brings along a character who has the exact same personality as their characters in the last three RPs. "Hello, my name is Jack and I'm a demon prince out to destroy the world. Hello, my name is William, and I'm a prince of an evil empire out to destroy the universe. Hello, my name is Billy, and I'm the son of the devil and out to destroy the world." That kind of thing. Now I get that people may like to use similar characters, and that's fine. We all find niches of what we enjoy to write along and write well. You can be the evil prince all the time, but twist them in some way. Maybe he's evil, but is evil to save his mother. Maybe he's evil, but he's never felt love and compassion and that's why he's evil. Maybe he's evil and, this time, he really does just want to burn the world down. We're writers, let's mix up who we write about.
  • Lastly is when there are too many plots for an RP to advance effectively. Again, an example demonstrates this best. Imagine you're rping about some cadets who are working to become basically magic commandos in a kingdom. At the same time, you are also rping about the kings and queens and their international politics. Also, you are rping a squad of soldiers from another kingdom who is invading the land where the cadets are. Still more, you are rping and auction that is selling powerful magical artifacts where the well-to-do of a completely different nation are gambling over it. Furthermore! Well, I'll spare the examples and say that this keeps building until there are five to seven plots all happening at once. While juggling all these plots can sound amazing in theory, what happens is intense stagnation as people reply to some plots with more focus on others. What's more is that an RPer may have only created a character for a section of the RP that gets neglected for extended periods of time. It grows stale.

One liners. Hate them. Detail is alvays nice. But by "detail" i mean substance related to the plot, not bulshit fillers and over-detailed description of environ, to make the text look bigger artificialy.

Taking over my char. NO. My partner trys to take over my char, the RP is over. The only person who has the right to vrite out my char's actions is me. Had that hapen once, on another site. Only exeption is if I agree on it before-hand, after discusing it with my partner, for plot purposes or to make a sex or fight scene more flowing (since those can be a pain in the ass to vrite out on a post-by-post basis, makes them look fake).

Through my time of RPs, I've learned my person major pet peeves to be these t things.
  1. The RP is forced to be delivered by one person and one person only. When the RP is only being delivered by one person, the ability of creativity is limited, and the story could be rather predictable. Also, no matter how good of anyone is, we all will be subjected to writers block, and so when the RP is being delivered by one person, it could not only ruin the immersion of the RP, but it can also lead to the pace of the story being slowed dramatically, causing frustration to everyone else. This gets me the worst, and I've had to drop a few roleplays because of this
  2. Lack of description in crucial points in the story. . If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the person who will slow down the story by not giving a vivid image to their partners in places where it matters the most, such as a battle scene, or a scene that is relatively focal to the plot.
  3. Taking a month to reply. We all get writers block, I get it, but it really takes everyone out of the roleplay, and taking such an absurdly long amount of time is just wasteful for all of us.

I have quite a list personally myself.
  • One liners
  • "Text talk"
  • God-modding/powerplaying
  • When people get ignored even though they put time and effort into their characters
  • 5 to 1, female to male ratio (excessive females)
  • OOC talking when there's specific threads for it
And I'll just end it there before I seem too nit-picky. Even though that is kinda nit-picky as it is.

My petpeevs:

1. Godmoding/Powerplaying. I can't stand that. It takes the fun out of the Roleplay when someone godmods or powerplays.
2. Meta-play. When someone already knows my character without it being asked of me first. I'm fine with pre-relationships between characters, but for the love of StarClan, ask me first.
3. One liners. Like c'mon, you don't have to match my length, but at least give me something to work with. Something that isn't a one-liner please.
4. When you're ignored. When you write a reply and your character gets overlooked because of 'favorites' in the RP. It's happened way too many times for me to count.
5. Mary Sues/Gary Sues. No one like's a prefect character. It takes the fun out of the RP just like Godmoding and Powerplaying. Though I guess this could be grouped with one, but y'know.
6. People who join a RP, post once or twice, then leave and never come back. Like c'mon, don't do that.
7. People who leave for days on end without telling you they'll be gone, so you're forced to wait for them to come back to continue the RP. Or you continue without them and they get all mad. Excuse me, you could have told me you were going to be inactive.
8. Text talk.
9. When people write a reply and it's unreable. Like put an effort into spelling and writing please?

There's most likely more, but I can't really think of them right now.

My personal hate is when someone writes a response or setup or whatever it is, and it's either incredibly short, or has next to no content. I've written with people who respond with a line or two when I wrote paragraphs, or they write loads, but when I read through it..... there's nothing there. It's just their character going through some internal soliloquy, and not actually reacting to whatever I've written in a way that I can react upon in turn. While I can understand that not everything is action-packed, when it keeps happening post after post.... it's annoying.

I couldn't tell you how many times that's happen to me. It gets super annoying as well as taking the fun out of the RP for you and anyone else you're RPing with. Plus, it's rather unfair that if you write something and the other person puts little to no effort into their post.

Almost everything mentioned in OP and in the comments are what I tried to avoid in the past. Sense I haven't written a big roleplay in a while, its nice to refresh my memory about what people still dislike.

Back