What do you want to avoid during a RP?

I hate one-liners with a passion. If I respond to you with a paragraph, I want at least a little more effort on your part. I also hate when people don't type using punctuation/capitalization (this happens more on Discord). Those both are my biggest pet peeves, I've never really had to deal with cringe characters since I haven't gotten to roleplay much with newer writers.

Reactions: N0X
I want to avoid roleplays with way too much focus on romance. As in it's to a point that there's literally no story. I've struggled with trying to get some roleplayers I've been with to understand that, but I've failed miserably.
This is why I love fanfiction roleplaying. It forces them to insert story.

Reactions: N0X
I myself try to avoid writing really short responses. I know, I know, "longer doesn't = better" but I'd like to just poop out some longer, more descriptive responses from time to time.

As a writer I would like to avoid going down a path that has already been trampled, I would like to see new things and new experiences with different groups of characters. It bothers me that some times "plotting out" the path of a story can skew the actions of the characters in the rp to get that result. I've experienced the same in writing on my own, sometimes you look at the plot you planned out and you're like hah this will never happen.

As a player I look for people who want to include more diversity and details rather than go the same route. I like neuro-diversity, people of color, and lgbtq+ all played correctly. I personally don't think a role play reflects reality when everyone is of the same brand. And it's disappointing to hear that some people have been shunned for having characters that aren't neuro-typical.

I dislike one liners, and i cant respond to them for the life of me, but i remember what it was like back when I started. To ween myself off of the habit I put a minimum as to how much I could write before posting, and it helped me a ton to expand my capabilities.

I hate godmodding and when characters are able to do things outside of their set of capabilities. I find it unrealistic and disappointing.

I also majorly dislike it when people have one OC that they apply to every single role play. personally I feel like OCs should be as unique as the world they're being made in, and it fundamentally changes when youre jumping from role play to role play. Sure some of the characteristics can possibly be the same but how the parents grew up, how the character grew up, how the world works are just.. different.

And, as a given, I hate it when people give my character a reaction or play my character for their benefit.

One-liners I'm personally not a fan of. Especially if you write a massive novel of a reply, paragraphs upon paragraphs and all you get is a one-liner or worse yet, a single word in response. Plotless roleplays are also a no-go from me. I like a good plot/story to keep me interested during it and it helps if I have some great writers along for the ride. Godmod/powerplaying is another no-go from me. I had a person before that loves to do this, despite claiming that "they don't godmod", when in fact, they do. Broke one of my characters' arms without even asking me if it was okay first. Romance I enjoy for a rp, ships are quite fun to write and can spice things up, but if the genre isn't romance focused, it's more of a side-thing. A side plot if you will. And never force a ship onto someone, that's happened to me countless times. Another thing is people saying how they believe my character will act, say, or do in certain situations. You're. Not. The. Creator. Don't tell me how my character acts or thinks. These are all things I tend to avoid when it comes to writing and should it happen in rps, it's the quickest way to turn me off.

My biggest issue is when you determin what level of a relationship all your characters have then the rper being all out of Canon with fandom cast you chose to romance and having them obsess over the Oc before any relationship was truly built. It not only wasted the time of the planning but my time for having to sort through all the mush and gush to find anything to respond to. Then there are the ones that are like "well we are already in love and im his princess so hes only nice to me" when the character has been shown to avoid people at all costs and because i like a build up puts 90% of their and my efforts into catering to their pairing and putting the story on a back burner set to high so it burns away into nothingness.
I love a story, i love the raw build up to a romance and their future relationship as they go through trials and hardships in plot.

Another thing that bugs me is "black sheep" ocs. They are doom and gloom and woe is them for their tragic life. I love a tragic backstory as much as the next guy but it shouldnt be your personality.
How bout dispite your hardships you hold a mask of smiles and act stupid and as the class cloun because it gets the attention they are lacking at home. Or due to your rough life maybe build up strong walls against getting hurt again and have a fasaud of being a tough guy who wont be knocked down, but inside is too afraid of letting some one in who could knock down the structures they built in life...
I see too many punching bag type characters who is set on sad mode and nothing you say or do will change their additude and often prefer an agressive and crass partner to beat on them more because "they just dont understand their feelings" and oc just takes it cause why would they do otherwise.
I dont know they seem too flat of an idea.

Back