What fictional character motivates or inspires you?

Shadow

For me right now, it's Shadow the Hedgehog. When he puts his mind to something, he goes out and does it, while I put myself in a rut and have trouble motivating myself to get out.

I'm inspired by Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter series! When I was younger, he was always my favorite character- I guess I just have a thing for snobbish, intellectual boys? He ended up reforming at the end, and I thought that was very noble of him. I liked how his character arc turned him from a whining, self-centered asshole into a developed person with thoughts and motivations.

I also take a lot of inspiration from Light Yagami, the main character of Death Note. I guess inspiration isn't a very good word... but he's diligent, and works to create a better world in the beginning, though his ego is his downfall. Light is clearly the villain, saying he's driven by a better world in the end, when, in actuality, his motivation is his ego and lust for power, but he got results.

Clearly, cold boys in fictional series capture my attention better than everyone else. ^^;

David Lister, forced to live for eternity with compete and utter fools, does it and still does it with a smile on his and those around hims face

Amuro Tooru/ Rei Furuya/ Bourbon - This two [three] - faced character has me motivated to create characters that hide their true motives with friendly smiles and very hard to read masks. And his masks are not the cold, detached ones either. As Bourbon, he is seductive. As Rei, he is hardworking and passionate. As Amuro, he is cheerful and friendly.

I want it. Let the readers think the character wears his heart on his sleeve but is actually just acting out his mask.

Boromir from The Lord of the Rings has always been an inspiration to me. Embarrassingly enough he was a big part of why I grew my hair out in high school. I always felt like he was the perfect foil for Aragorn in the fellowship. Aragorn represented what Man could aspire to be while Boromir represented the truth of Man, with all of it's nobility and vulnerability. He was brave, strong and cared deeply for his people who admired him greatly in return. Those traits were turned against him, however, by the power of the Ring, and in a moment of weakness he gave in to temptation. We all do this in one way or another, convince ourselves to make decisions that might not be in our best interest because of how we feel in the moment, even if our intentions are good.

Boromir taught me that even the best of us make mistakes and that those mistakes don't define us unless we let them. In my opinion he and Samwise were the two most relatable characters across all three books for their honest hearts.

Last edited:
Rocky Balboa! That's right. I like all of the Rocky movies to varying degrees but nothing beats the first one. This might sound kind of lame but it strikes me as something of a love story and not just between Rocky and Adrian but with Rocky and his own self-image. Yeah, it bothers him when people look at him and treat him like a bum but his hidden melancholy ultimately comes from him believing it. I think later movies really turned away from this part of his character and even though I think they have their own strengths, none of them really compare to the first one. Heck the second movie is more or less just the first story retold partly from the perspective of Apollo Creed and with more of a Hollywood ending for Rocky.

Getting away from film, I also really like Ged from A Wizard of Earthsea. His is a story that would be considered pretty typical by today's standards of fantasy but Ursula K. Le Guin wrote that book back in the late 60s so I think she deserves some fat credit for paving the way. He quite literally battles the worst parts of himself and overcomes them by recognizing them for what they are and determining that the best way to overcome them is not by beating them down but rather by accepting them as a part himself and thus rising above them.

In fact, Ged was a big part of my inspiration for a character that I never played but actually had art commissioned and would like to some day put him to play. My account hasn't been approved yet so I probably can't post a link to the artwork but I'm sure I'll end up showing it off eventually.

Back