What Helps You Write and Why?

Wolfy Dalfyry

SCREEEEEEEE
It's in the title. When you have writer's block, what do you use to get rid of it, and if you know, why does it help? For me, I don't know why, but zen music helps a lot. Heck, sometimes I've spent an hour or two trying to figure out what to write for a roleplay, then when I listen to that zen, type type type, post, boom.

I pet my dog and also have conversations with people and we could be talking really off topic like about bananas and BOOM I got an idea about how powers gonna work in my story.

I like to pull out a book I haven't read yet or am in the progress of reading when I feel stuck. Seeing how other write helps me think about how I can do the same. It's not only the story or characters that I focus on, but the way they structure their sentences. I reflect on what they're trying to highlight and communicate to the reader. I see books as complex machines and I try to dismantle them so I can reconstruct. Then I sit on those thoughts for a little to freshen up the mind and go back to writing.

Mainly, music gets me into writing.

I have a whole playlist that just for Roy and Riza from Fullmetal, which I am currently doing with a friend. But in general, I will list to music that is of the same genre as the role play.

I also like read fanfiction or books to look at peoples writing style or just to learn a little on how to get better at writing, sometimes I will try out new words because I do get stuck in lop in which I use the same words too much.

Lately, I am stuck with my fantasy role plays, I really can't get myself into the mindset of my oc's. So, I go with play canon fandom characters until I feel my oc's calling me again.

Also taking a walk, in general, it helps if when you have a lot of thoughts but no way to get them out. I tend to run off to the forest with some music and walk for a while until my mind is silent.

I haven't had writer's block in years since it isn't real. ;)

Still, to spur myself into writing, I just think about all the work I've left undone and all the things I'd like to say/share. If I want to brainstorm some scenes, music is pretty great for that, though for writing I switch to softer, lyricless tracks to avoid distraction.

Ah, writer's block, the bane of every writer's existence. Hate when that little beast comes along. Whenever that hits me and I get in a funk and can't come up with anything for the life of me, I listen to music. Music is a great sort of inspiration for me and it can help get the creative juices flowing when I've hit a road block in whatever I'm currently trying to write. Be it my own story or a rp that I've taken part in. Another thing I like to do to help get me in the writing mood is read through other works, such as books, stories online, other rps, that might help to spark an idea to whatever I'm stuck on. Writing prompts are also a big help to me and can get me in the mood to write, even if it's just a small bit that the prompt wants or connected to. Talking to others and bouncing off ideas is yet another thing that helps me writing. Other people can think of ideas that I might not have or overlooked, and speaking about something that I'm passionate about with another living person can get me in the mood to write and shatter whatever writer's block that hit.

I like listening to movie soundtracks when writing, just puts me in the mood to write. I also utilize writing prompts and look for writing exercises online to see if I can jumpstart anything. Doing a writing sprint helps too or like a brain dump kind of thing. Sometimes I just take a walk too and that can help.

Music, walks, watching or reading something (though be careful that you don't copy-paste stuff from the stories of others), taking a nap or even just working on another part of the story.

I prefer to be alone, locked away, with no contact with others or the outside world. I need to feel sure no one is reading over my shoulder, ha. Sometimes making playlists for my characters individually or for major plot points and special moments in a story. Truth be told, making the playlists gets my creative gears turning more so than listening to the playlist while I write. I actually end up tuning out music as background noise when I get into the flow of writing.

I don't think there's any trick to it really. You just have to sit down and start writing. I think that some folks tend to get hung up by this romanticized creative space or their muse and end up creating barriers that impede the process. If you're worried about writer's block, instead of waiting for inspiration to strike you, just set a specific time to do some writing and stick to it.

A change of pace is usually necessary to break the cycle or lack thereof when dealing with writer's block, at least for me. I'll listen to some new music that I've never heard before, watch a new show or movie, go to a place I've never been and explore. Or I could just be conversing with my friends or family, playing a game that I love to play or scrolling through my news feed. Inspiration is a tricky and chaotic thing. Sometimes I'll pick up my guitar and just start playing to see if my heart or ear can guide me to something new. I haven't really found one defined way to kick writer's block, but I know you've got to keep trying.

Back