What is the WORST thing to do on a roleplay site?

Maybe it's not the worst, but I really dislike when people feel the need to tear down a person ic and/or ooc to make their character/themselves look better. Especially if they do it in a manipulative way where you can't quite tell if they're doing it on purpose or you're being paranoid. Another thing that ruins rp for me is when someone doesn't like a particular type of roleplay so they dismiss it as being beneath them. People have different preferences. One style/genre isn't better than the other. They're just different.

I will say this is the first site ive been on that has actually accepted me openly despite my limited knowledge of these forums and sites

There's a few things but one of the things I find the worst is when people bail on the RP without even saying goodbye or giving you a reason. When people are mean or leave when you inject some different ideas for the story, that is very annoying too.

Mass joining and then mass dropping. There's nothing that kills a forum faster than a bunch of super flaky people who want to make characters but don't want to commit to the story and the group! Well, at least, that's what I find most frustrating :3

GUILT-TRIPPIIIIIIIIING! It makes me so angry whenever someone tries to make me feel bad for not roleplaying with them. Most of the time it comes from roleplayers who always use text speak or can't use proper grammar/punctuation to save their own life. But just, UGH! Accept it and move on already! I don't wanna put up with your crap!

I don't really like it when people try to become the stars of the RP or start spamming it with posts saying "are you guys here" in different ways if they post and no one responds within the first three minutes.

Going off what Rose said about people trying to become the stars of a roleplay, I think it really screws with a roleplay when somebody tries to tie themself/their character into every sub-plot and be the most integral part of the main plot, especially if it's a group roleplay. :/

Honestly, from my past roleplay site experiences, seeing people make cliques and bring drama into the forums? It's so awkward, and I'm going to be honest, two or three years ago, I would do that, but I've grown way past that and realized it's not cool. Also threatening people. I had a girl threaten me and bully me, as a twelve year old girl, for defending her friend. I thought she was bullying her friend, and without knowing they were joking, defended her. I abandoned that account, haha.

I would have to put in having Characters fall in love after thirty minutes of meeting one another, that just...no. Romance is fine, but if there's no struggle or time to actually get to know one another what's the purpose?

I think using information you cannot possibly know is as far you can go, other than using it to ruin the plot. (which usually happens as a natural outcome)

I have never rped on a forum like this, but I have had experiences where someone's character completely changed toward mine because my character wasn't interested in theirs. They even continued to tell me how terrible he was ooc.

1. To make your OC seem like the most awesome, powerful, McBadass in the entire universe, expecting that every other player bows down to said character's awesomeness, and then kick up a hissy-fit when they call you out for it.

I encountered a player like that once; he was playing your typical edgy teenage mage character, but seemed to be of the impression that his OC was the most awesome thing in existence, given the way he wrote on the OOC thread. When I pointed out that he was engaging in meta-gaming (in that case, he wrote that his character had escaped from a massive courthouse in mere seconds despite having no prior knowledge of the place), he threw a tantrum and told me that I should "stop nagging and just RP".

2. Maybe this is just a pet peeve of mine, but I can't stand it when one uses ethnic personal names without first researching how they work.

I've seen more than a lifetime's supply of "Japanese" characters with names that either don't sound remotely Japanese, or are made of actual Japanese words/names that are misused to the point it's infuriating. Some I've seen before are "Akuma Midori" (just WTF), "Hana Usage" ("Flower rabbit"? Seriously?), "Reiko Ieyaru" (I don't even know where that surname comes from), and best of all, "Yokoyama Brooks" (when your name is made of two surnames).

I've also seen lots of Russian and Slavic characters whose "surnames" are actually their patronymics. Not cool at all.

Last edited:
Witch hunting.
Witch hunting on roleplaying sites tends to go badly especially when staff action is confidential. As a rule: report, and let the staff do their jobs.

My roleplaying pet peeve is using information you only have OOC in character. It's not fun for anyone, honestly, and will probably just make everyone hate you.

°Acting mainly on emotion, IC or OOC, doesn't matter. For Gods' sake, don't let your emotions control you. I don't want to know how attached you are to your character. I don't want to hear about how your OC would make the best waifu. At least, not outside of jokes. Sure, everyone may slip up now and then, but there's a difference between just feeling bad for your character and feeling the need to end your post with "((my character is not stupid!!!!!))" when some other character calls yours an idiot.

°No one expects you to be a grammar nazi/ syntax god/ punctuation overlord, but if you're not even going to try to make your posts readable, then I'm not going to read them.

Last edited:
Posting here for the heck of it. Hardly the worse one but using internet slang in a roleplay. Especially in your characters speech. If you don't talk like that in real life then your character probably dosnt either. Thus ends my shortest rant ever.

I agree completely with the ego comment, but also to me, I can't stand when people form cliques to the total exclusion of others, yet flaunting it in front of those people they are excluding. I, too, have friends I rp with mostly, but I would never purposely exclude someone just because I was/am unfamiliar with them. Also, I don't like when I have invested time and energy getting to know someone and creating a story with them only to have them disappear for a few months and then reappear and say they no longer want to play with me. No reasons, no excuses, just 'done'.

The worst things for me are people who just drop me without a word. I had that happen recently on another site. We sent each other character info and talked about genre and plots and then...POOF! Gone. I even had an intro written. ;_; That sites roleplay boards are mostly exclusive groups anyway, so as someone who didn't roleplay for a few years and decided to get back to it, I felt pretty out in the cold. My other pet peeve like many here it seems, is arrogant people with their holier than thou attitudes and characters. I take roleplays seriously but it's no fun for me when I have a partner or partners who think they are way better than me at everything that has ever existed.

To me, besides the beautiful points all of you have made, the worst thing you can do in a rp is try to control someone else's character.
To try and tell someone, 'No, this is what they need to do. I completely expect you to do this and I'll get mad if you don't.'
I understand that sometimes certain actions are necessary for certain plot points, but to do this all the time is unacceptable. Only the creator of a character really knows how that character would react, and to claim that you would know better then the person who created them? That's insane to me.
Insane and completely rude.

I guess another terrible thing that could be, is when someone asks for a specific (usually very short) RP, where they are trying to practice something (in my case it was fighting and winning the fight, since I've never done one where my character was coming out on the top), and then despite the other person agreeing to where the RP will be headed, changes it when they don't like it anymore. A partner of mine from a long time ago did this, where everything headed towards my character finally overpowering them, since you know, that's what I wanted from the beginning and made it very clear and made the circumstances specific for this so she didn't just become a god overnight, and then the partner changed stuff so her character could easily wipe mine out. So, yeah, asking for help, agreeing to help, and then just pushing the other one down and going back on what was agreed on before.

Back