What is your greatest weakness as a role player?

I often have a hard time replying to a roleplay in a timely fashion. My writing inspiration comes in bursts, rather than a steady flow; if I don't feel inspired to write, or if I write a reply and it doesn't meet my (often perfectionist) standards, then I'll wait a while and try again. While this may seem like a good thing - the quality of my posts hardly ever drops - it tends to result in my writing partner waiting an unfair amount of time to get a reply. I absolutely hate making other people wait on me in any situation, especially if it's my fault... but I feel disappointed in myself if I post a reply that I'm not proud of just for the sake of replying in a decent amount of time.

So yeah... dilemmas suck!

This is me in a nutshell, and I get a little frustrated by it. For me a reply is not just a reply either..I can't just type out something to keep the rp going; it has to be worthwhile in my eyes and worthy of the reply I received myself.

In my defense, though, if there is a delay I make sure the post is a wall of text at my best. lol~I try to make it worth the wait.

There's just that aha moment where everything flows and a two page reply will come out in ten mins. Versus a five liner that takes an hour because I didn't get that 'spark'.

I... I can get too enthusiastic about RP's, write whole paragrafs and then trash it all because it ended up about something completely different than what the RP is about :(

I... I can get too enthusiastic about RP's, write whole paragrafs and then trash it all because it ended up about something completely different than what the RP is about :(

I know this pain, but sometimes it just has to happen before you can refocus. lol Another thing I do is forget I'm replying and start writing chapters of events..like giving my reader a show rather than something to reply to as my partner XD This hasn't happened inawhile though.

I know this pain, but sometimes it just has to happen before you can refocus. lol Another thing I do is forget I'm replying and start writing chapters of events..like giving my reader a show rather than something to reply to as my partner XD This hasn't happened inawhile though.

OMG! Yes that! Or that moment you get so deep into the history of something as feeble as a certain type of pillar or mineral and you totally forget that that was not where the post was all about.

How do you overcome such obstacles, if you don't mind me asking?

Greatest? I probably am too inclined to play gary stu like characters, due to walking the thigh rope between "cool" and "boring stereotype". I am also very picky with the settings I like, most of the time, though I am very open to trying all of those I find interesting, I also get bored rather quickly.

I have difficulty with characters. I'm tend to be really good at having general or abstract ideas, and I'm also fairly good at creating settings. I just find it difficult to grow comfortable with a character or a set of attributes for a character.

In a meta-sense, I can be quite flakey and irregular with my posting. In-story, I sometimes find it difficult to integrate and approach others' characters first, even if the character I'm playing is outgoing. It isn't due to shyness, either - I'm not a shy person; I just worry so much about rocking the boat if there are pre-established relationship dynamics between characters.

My greatest weakness as a RPer, is that I can get bored really quickly. Because of my Autism, if I'm into something one day, there's no guarantee that I'll be into it the next day or the next. It's just as frustrating for me, as it is for my RP partners.

I think the quality of my posts depends on the quality of the other replies. I have a hard time putting 100% effort into a roleplay that nobody else seems to be enjoying/putting effort into.

Keeping the story fresh and sometimes depending on others to making things exciting when I am quite capable of doing so myself. Perhaps a lack of confidence in that area.

I am also really terrible at playing male characters.

And sometimes I get too focused on creating romantic connections between characters instead of seeing what benefits/adventures could be had in other ways.

My spelling and punctuation skills are very weak.
I can take a little long with my reply while getting impatient for a reply.
Other than that, I tend to get lost in descriptions and write way more than was necessary when replying. My reply can end up being a lengthy laybrinth of the color of their eyes, the sound of the forest, smell of the kitchen..... I'm doing it again, aren't I?

~WimsyWillow

I ramble. Like, a hell of a lot. I usually write my drafts the same way I think, and my thoughts are pretty flighty, disconnected, convoluted and just pretty nasty to have to organize. I'll usually end up with a post length in the thousands of words or so. Then I'll have to go through the grueling process of cutting it down, taking out all the parts that are probably unnecessary, or the parts that are repetitive. And then, I'll have to look through everything, arrange the thoughts so that there's some kind of coherent flow, and remove even more parts if they don't quite fit in with the flow of the post. Finally, I'll rewrite several parts so that it seems like one cohesive piece, and not some kind of stitched up abomination.

Basically, I write too much, making my editing process unnecessarily long, greatly affecting the speed at which I can contribute to a roleplay :'(

I'd have to say my one weaknesses is the typical thing of tying not make my characters too OP or Mary-Sueish, even though I hardly understand the concept of a Mary-Sue, which might be why it's a problem. And then there's a problem that I'm not the best at improv roleplay, meaning I can't just have someone start up a roleplay at random without explaining the plot and expect me to know what's happening. I honestly hate when people do that.

My weakness is that sometimes I expect people to be as intelligent and imaginative as me.
Most of the time, they are. But I dislike spoonfeeding hints and answers to situations in a roleplay, and when the other person doesn't get it after I give them a couple subtle clues, I start getting disappointed, even if the person is otherwise literate and descriptive and cool.

There is a metal door before you, thick and covered in multiple tech-locks. A handprint shape sits on the door - Must be something to make sure only humans get in, and none of those demon things you saw earlier.
"I push the door."
That does nothing.
"I push harder."
That does nothing, except make the handprint shape flicker a blue light for a split second.
"I try breaking the door down with my sword."
The door is designed to keep those demons out. You barely scratch it.
"I keep trying."
Bish do you not know what handprint shapes are.

Occasionally I have the problem of resulting to the same old personality, despite what they started out as. It's something I'm working on. It's one thing to have a character's personality develop over time but another thing when it just resorts to the thing I'm used to. :/

Patience. I can not be patient, I pretend I am...
Oh you don't reply for a week then say that you'll reply soon? Oh yea that's fine, take your time!

On the inside i'm screaming. I hit refresh 300 times in thirty minutes waiting for something.... I am so impatient, and I get annoyed if they don't reply after a few days. I know this is unreasonable! That's why I pretend to be fine~

It takes me ages to post because I want to make sure that I don't cringe at it sometime in the future. In other words, I spend too much time trying to perfect a post.

I would have to say, my ability to truly work with another individual. I’m so used to working alone, not getting what I want out has got me frustrated. Though over years of opening up more, I’ve been a little better at working as a team than by myself and taking control of the whole RP.

So overall, my biggest flaw would be letting another creative mind help create the story.

Do note, I am improving!

My greatest weakness...

I suck at making cool, original characters.

It's because, whenever I make a character, I'd always make a really plain and boring character that's more suited to be a NPC.

There was also this time where I just copied Ashe's back story from Lol and used her as an "Original Character"

I just don't really know how to make a new and innovative character

Back