What is your preferred group size for role plays?

What is your preferred group size for role plays?

• Total voters

Nilum

The Wanderer Returned
Benefactor
Hey, the first multiple choice poll I've put up--miracle of miracles!

Simply choose the options on the poll that you engage in. There's no wrong choices here.

Do you have a favourite group size? If so, why?

Do you dislike any of the group sizes above? If so, why?

I think I tend to lean toward 1x1 because it's easier to maintain the role play and not have other people's characters running off without mine when I'm not able to come online for a while, but then I also like the diversity you find in a slightly larger role play (like 3-6). Although I haven't actually had the chance to RP here yet, so I'm not sure if my opinions will change.

I'm not too picky on group size. Really depends on how the roleplay is structured also. Not all roleplays can handle 20+ players. I do however like to avoid too many people posting in the same event/location at the same time even in larger roleplays. When you get too many people posting into the same thing, it can slow/drag things down if people aren't really on the ball. IE, if you have 20 people in one encounter, even if every single person posts within 24 hours of the last. Each round of posts is going to take nearly a month. This can result in people losing interest.

I prefer instead to break things down. Example, when we had a major city wide attack/battle/warzone in the Omniverse that dragged in more than a dozen players? We didn't have one thread with everyone in it. Instead we broke it down by area of the city. This resulted in each posting group only having 2-5 people. It allowed things to progress more smoothly.

1x1, because i can keep a good attention to the other person character, the story without being lost all the time, i used to do groups, it wasn't my favorite..
Small groups will be with friends only and all depends with who.

I've had bad experiences with big rp in the past, not saying there all bad. If it is a good structured rp I dont mind it to be big. My preferred rp size would be around 7-10 people. It really just depends on the type of rp and the structure of it for me. :emoji_slight_smile:

I'd definitely say that 1x1 or groups from 3-6 players are my favorite. With 1 x 1 rps I find that the rp is more personal including relationships out of character as well. Meanwhile there are some plots and ideas that require multiple people but too many just kind of overwhelms me and I tend to get lost in the rush of a million people posting. xD

I agree with a few people here. I like some of the diversity you can get with 3-6 players, but 1x1 is definitely my favorite. It allows me to focus and not get left behind. I tend to put a lot of thought into each post, so if I have to interact with too many people, or react to tons of events that just went on, I tend to get overwhelmed and my posts become absolute monsters.

I think I like both group based roleplays and one on one roleplays, selectively a smaller group is always easier to manage, easier to maintain attention and where I can contribute evenly to the story. I do have a slight preference over groups at times, more diversity, more ideas you possibly wouldn’t have thought of or more possible developments.

Larger groups reaching in the double digits is somewhat daunting to me, but hey, I’d give it a try, you never know, no one roleplay is exactly alike as another.

I actually often prefer a smaller group or 1x1 for some concepts, it is a more intimate roleplay and easy to manage. I am fine with Epic roleplays, but you have difficulty keeping up with everyone. In my small group roleplay The Land of Rhapsody a smaller group is better because it is a small group of tightly knitted adventurers exploring together.

Large group (7-10 Players) is ideal, to me. It gives me a variety of persons to interact with, without making it feel like a crowd. It's also an easy way to split players in few groups for story reasons. I prefer 3-4 PC's at a scene at a time, because when it becomes larger I feel it becomes less about inter-player interaction and more about individuals vs. environment. You want to switch these groups up a bit, without making players feel less significant (a task harder the more players you have) but having 7-10 players facilitates these players the opportunity to make multiple characters, which is a smaller investment relations-wise for your players than adding a new player and keeps the group tight and cozy but at the same time doesn't force everyone to interact with everyone all the time.

That doesn't mean you want to start out like that. While the perfect number (for no discernible reason) is 8, we all know how sustaining your playerbase goes early in the RP. This means you set out with a bigger advertised target than your actual target. I thought that is worth noting.

One on one stuff is really nice, in my opinion, because it's easy to have open dialogue with the other role player about what the two of you want and enjoy in regards to the roleplay. And usually juggling the likes and dislikes of two players is easier than it would be with a large group. I may be a little biased, however. I can't remember the last time I was in an RP with more than 4-5 players.

I haven't RP'd for very long but I've found groups of 3-5 to be the most enjoyable for me. It's just on the cusp of having enough people to spend time interacting with and not too many that it slows down the pacing of the story as we wait for everyone to try to catch up. That's how it was with my previous experiences, though it seems that stories tend to flow more smoothly on this site.

I tend to stick to 1x1s, simply because most group roleplays I've been in either move too quick, and completely leave out people in the process, or die within a few days. Although I'll admit most (if not all) group roleplays I've been in start small, but quickly seem to attract a lot of people. So a small group might not be so bad, I don't know.

1x1s are really nice. It's easier to keep up to date with the story and to plan things with another roleplayer. I've done some group things in the past, and I ended up getting super behind because I couldn't keep up with the posting rate. Not the groups fault whatsoever! I just couldn't devote enough time to checking in daily, and it'd be super unreasonable for me to expect said group to wait on my behalf. That doesn't mean I like to make my partners wait though. I usually let them know if I'll be gone for a significant amount of time.

If a story does involve more than two roleplayers, I like small groups. Somewhat echoing what I said above, it's easier to communicate and plan. Again, this is my opinion.

I'm not picky at group size. I'd take on a group the number of a highschool classroom. There's Always room for a more indepth roleplay with more people.

Smaller groups of 3-6 core players are easier to keep track of and be sure to include. Once it gets larger than that it is liable to break up into groups. Which is fine when there are multiple time zones, play times and twists. Simultaneous plots can also help when playing in larger groups. But 1x1 all alone I find can leave me pacing with a stalled story line. If there is a 1x1 sub plot and a plot for a small group then the story can move on in that direction while a partner is stuck in reality.

When there are larger groups it is ever so important to have sound leadership in the form of a DM or Moderator. Smaller groups can generally keep things moving or growing in the absence of Moderation.

I don't mind there being a large pool of players who can enter a game, but smaller groups are more stable. One of the problems with the table-top rp I found was that the game seemed to revolve around the more talkative, extroverted people in the group as they were always jumping in before quieter players had a chance to. In larger groups this meant that only they were driving the rp forward. Now in a smaller group setting they are more fun because the quieter people get a chance to input things. (This is when all the players are sat around in the same room.)

Online? In theory, it should be better but problems can occur if there is one or two people in the group who don't want a certain player in the rp. I'm not talking about when a player wants to join a group rp that is already been established, but one where people have been invited by the organizer and it's still a problem for that person. (It happens too often, to be honest.) Another problem can occur when people don't wait for one or more people in the role-play to respond. Be patient and wait! (It's worse when you're in the middle of writing your reply and they post theirs because your reply then looks out of place.)

I have mainly played 1x1, but it's not through choice, more because there aren't people willing to take on the roles of the characters I'd like for the role-play and although it can go well if both parties continue to contribute on a regular basis, it's annoying when you're waiting around for a day or more, just for one response. (I don't mind waiting like that if the other person is reliable, but I've had quite a few experiences with those that are fickle or are clearly active in other rps they have but seem to be deliberately ignoring yours for whatever reason. I suppose this can happen in group rps too, but I like to have a small-medium group of people to rp with so that I can rp with others while I am waiting for a response to another rp I have going, if that makes sense.)

Back