What makes a good Short Story

WiZ

I know this isn't about rps or anything, but it still applies to writing.

I'm taking this course called "Writers Craft" and I'm going to have a project in about two weeks: we have to write a four page short story. I've written short stories before, and I know all the elements of short stories.

For example: Short stories have a lot less plot then regular novels, and the plot usually starts just before or right at the rising action of the plot.
Also, character description is much less developed, usually taking a third person perspective (very little thoughts or emotions) instead of a first person perspective.
In general, exposition is kept to a minimum. But this doesn't have to be so. Ernest Hemingway, who is hailed as one of the greats of literature, has almost no exposition, emphasizing the parts with exposition. On the other hand, writers like Alice Munro use exposition very often, but have a lot more equivocation (withholding information) to induce suspense.

But I really want to know everyone else's opinions, what makes a good Short Story?

I honestly think the ability to write a good short story is one of the best possible measures of how talented and controlled someone is as a writer.

When you're limited on length and words it forces you to cut out all the fluff and really focus on telling a good story.

Honestly, I think the most important element is really focusing on what emotions you're looking to invoke, what your goal is and making sure that every sentence you include is either intended to make the reader feel something or is otherwise contributing to the forward motion of your story.

Personally, I've written quite a few stories in my life, and I've found that if you make a small script for your story, it makes the writing much easier and quicker. I guess at how long (how many chapters in my case) my story will be, and then I write the dry bones of what I want to happen in each chapter.
Things that draw people into a story are details (What they hear, smell, see... ect.), action, and suspense. Try to keep your audience guessing at what's next. Having contrasting character personalities can be fun and amusing, especially if you need comic relief.
Focus on what your story is telling your readers. Stay on track with that, and you'll do just fine! Good luck and I hope this helps!

To enthral a reader you suck them up in a feeling. Typically in an RP, you start with putting down a setting you want people to be in. With a novel you start out with a premise and develop the promise of something greater. With a short story, your hook is starting out with something relatable because you do not have time for this. You don't have time to introduce worlds, or plots, or multitudes of characters, so you address the core right away; emotion. The less material you have, the stronger your foundation needs to be. Almost if not every sentence should address the experience you're trying to convey. In writing in general everything should have a purpose, short stories are just judged a lot more harshly on their application because there's less of a safety net. Does exposition service itself to set a mood? Does this sensory detail matter to the emotion or experience? Is at least a third of what you've written backspaced yet? These are questions you ask yourself when composing a short story.

Short stories are my bane of writing. Now give me a 500 page novel to write! I got that covered. I am getting better, though. My writing teacher always said "Show don't Tell."

Oh! and write out all your ideas crazy or not, because if you don't use them now you might later.

Hope that helps!

Back