What ruins A Role-play the most for you?

1. Edgy characters that aren´t done well.
We get it, you´re the lord of the edge here. Don´t remind us all time! Not to mention the Dual Katanas/Pistols, Black leather boots and jacket and other stuff. I can look past that however if you can actually do it right, but 90% of them end up falling on their faces.

2. Using the * signs to convey actions.
Idk why, but it just rubs me the wrong way so much. I guess it´s because most of the posts I see like this are short and lacking detail.

Hm... ruin, eh? Well, most writers can make the best out of a situation, but there are some things that just ruin the consistency or enjoyment of the plot.

1: Godmodders. I am certain it has been said time and time and time again, but this is a common rookie mistake when someone cannot possibly live to see their character mess up or die. Another part of this is a form of godmodding that is not quite as bad, but still ruins balance or immersion. This would be characters that have their "sources" for info, npc's love them without fail (they are famous or their parents were), etc. If done well, this is not an issue at all, but just know your limits on advantages.

2: Grammar. We are all the culprit and victim here, some more or less than others. You probably already know what I mean, but here is an example.
Good: Rayn keeps a wary eye on the area, and notices a slight movement among the bushes. Drawing his pistol, he prepares against the potential threat.
Not-so-good: Rayn keeps a wary eye on the area noticing movement in the bushes, drawing pistol, he prepares for the potential threat.
Not exactly "Awful" tier, but you can see that it is kinda awkward. I don't hold this against non-native english writers, of course.

3: Horny 24/7. I have brought this up before, but once more for good measure. Don't turn every rp into an erotica. Please.

Feel free to disagree or correct me on this, I am writing this at 3:50 am. Sorry if I am the grammar culprit.

1. Edgy characters that aren´t done well.
We get it, you´re the lord of the edge here. Don´t remind us all time! Not to mention the Dual Katanas/Pistols, Black leather boots and jacket and other stuff. I can look past that however if you can actually do it right, but 90% of them end up falling on their faces.

Sorry, but what do you mean by "edgy"?

Is it as in a character that has a lot of weapons?

Why I ask this is because I like to play a characters that wield a katana, or some other long blade, along with a trench coat, either black or gray and is typically more patches and pockets then actual coat, and they wear combat boots.

Also, when I am DMing a RP and

1) the rpers decide that absolutely crazy stuff happens (one guy decided that he would magically get an army of goblins)
2) really boring rpers
3) rpers that can't roll with the punches (text battles and unexpected events)

Sorry, but what do you mean by "edgy"?

Is it as in a character that has a lot of weapons?

Why I ask this is because I like to play characters that wield a katana, or some other long blade, along with a trench coat, either black or gray and is typically more patches and pockets then actual coat and they wear combat boots.

I consider edginess a combination of looks and personality. Personality takes precedence over looks most of the time though

I'd consider it a person who's really angsty for little to no reason and/or has an existential crisis in public as a bid to find sympathy.
I would also add in a very stereotypical, impractical outfit or something that just plain doesn't fit the setting to be different and special. If it's part of an iconic look for some eccentric artist or rich person, yeah, fine, that comes with the territory but if you've got a fry cook in a kimono something's up.
On top of the outfit, the use and daily carry of a certain set of weapons simply because they look cool or they think (and are often wrong) that their weapons of choice are the best on the planet.
Instead of resolving their personal issues, the edgelord resorts to melodramatic whining about their situation and threats of violence to being questioned or challenged in an attempt to assert dominance.
The character acting like or doing any of the above simply because they think it looks cool and people will like them and treat them like the 'cool guy' or give them respect/fear when they're actually cowardly, emotionally weak and immature is pretty edgy too.

God, I hate saying the word Edgy it's about as abused as 'cuck.'

Two out of five of those things qualify for me.

ahhh, I see

Well, the character in question is named Hal.

She wears the trench coat only for the pockets.

She wields a katana because it was her father's

She does have people issues, but would rather not get into fights

She does go into blood frenzies, but she is an innocent soul

and, lastly, she doesn't understand social ques and thus cannot act a certain way because it is "cool", she just does what she does.

Would Hal be considered an edgy character to you?

also, she is willing to upgrade the katana for a better weapon, but will never get rid of it
She also makes sure to take off her trench coat when fighting (unless there isn't any time to, of course)

With the edgy characters I agree but only when the person roleplaying them isn't self-aware.

If someone makes a character with all of the above but does it in just the certain way that everyone knows the roleplayer is making them a dick on purpose then I'm more okay, but when a roleplayer does it without even realizing then you've lost me.

Another thing is roleplayers who try to force their character to be the main character in a multi-person RP. It's like, excuse me, there are dozens of people here all with their own story as intricate as the last, you cannot have your character be the most important solely because you want to feel important.

One more thing is roleplayers who unironically create characters who demand respect, even worse is when they create other characters centered around their main character with the explicit intention of making it seem like they have respect when the character in question is actually scum. Example: I was in several Tokyo Ghoul RPs, all with different people, and one guy had a character who was my character's superior by rank. They pulled rank maybe four times in a single conversation for little to no reason because they refused to trust him and held the damn thing up wayyy longer than it needed to, and threatened to completely derail the entire plot me and several other people had set up just because they wanted to be important.

Well,

I sometimes make characters to be dicks on purpose, however, the character themselves don't realize this. Is that okay?

Also,
When I am GMing and players decide to make stuff happen that just plain shouldn't. Just talk to me about it and I would be more than happy to figure out a way to make it lore-friendly.

My only problem is when the roleplayer doesn't realise they've made a dick even though the majority of other people tell them they're a dick.

Reminds me of batman cartoons, where batman is a total trash bin but everyone acts jealous or envious or super respectful of him.

Oh, yea, those were always really stupid.

And, quite frankly, they were hard to follow. At least, for me they were.

Also, the BIGGEST thing for me to ruin rps is actually myself.

The amount of times I've lost interest in an Rp for no good reason, oh dear lawd...

Or because I decide I don't like my character any more. Hell, my MAIN character comes so close to so many of the peeves other people's have brought up that it gives me mild anxiety.

Oh, man, I really can't help you there.

I mean, really, that just sucks...

Uuummm...

Well...

All I can say is...

You do you, and be the character you want to be. If this character changes or shifts throughout the RP, then just go with the flow. If you want your character to shift, then try to do it gradually. It ends up adding another layer to your character, making them much more interesting then they were before.

That's really all I can say about it. Good Luck!

Yeah, I know that. Despite all my concerns regarding my main man I've had him for about two or so years now :p

ah,

I would like to see your main character. Where would I be able to find him?

For me that is when my characters in one post try to have a friendly conversation with someone else and in the next post they get castrated with the moderators accepting this kind of behavior because they were friends with the one doing the castrations on me. Every. Single. Time.

That makes it sound like more than one of your characters has been castrated and that being castrated happens often.

Your poor folks.

That makes it sound like more than one of your characters has been castrated and that being castrated happens often.

Your poor folks.
Yes.
Welcome to starting your introduction to text-only rp in video games.

Back