What ruins A Role-play the most for you?

Amen. I will gladly accept a rivalry. I do appreciate romantic relationships, really I do. However, there is a certain satisfaction you get when rping with your character's rival-be it friendly, argumentatively, or even to the death. It builds on a character far more than anything else in my opinion.
^... though I am still yet to encounter a combination where my character is in a romantic relationship with someone AND is in a rivalry with this someone's sibling. It could be interesting.

I've had i think two characters like that. The first, their rival was extremely protective of their sister and would remind mine that it would be their neck if they hurt them. For the most part, though, they worked as a well oiled machine. The other...attempted to kill my character...for no real reason... o-o

What ruins a role-play most for me would have to be when someone does not play by the assigned rules of the universe.

It has to be said, but several things annoy me about roleplays. One is when the DM/GM clearly loses interest, and it becomes incredibly boring for everyone. I don't want to be playing D&D when the guy who's narrating it sounds like he'd rather be watching the grass grow. On the other side of the scale, I don't like it when a DM get's to involved, and they try to push you to do certain things because they've planned out some scenario which requires someone to go here/do this. My favorite session I've ever joined was when the guy DMing had absolutely no clue what he was doing, and just made up the whole thing as he went along. Great fun though.

It has to be said, but several things annoy me about roleplays. One is when the DM/GM clearly loses interest, and it becomes incredibly boring for everyone. I don't want to be playing D&D when the guy who's narrating it sounds like he'd rather be watching the grass grow. On the other side of the scale, I don't like it when a DM get's to involved, and they try to push you to do certain things because they've planned out some scenario which requires someone to go here/do this. My favorite session I've ever joined was when the guy DMing had absolutely no clue what he was doing, and just made up the whole thing as he went along. Great fun though.
As a fm I tend to get a vague plot idea but mostly just adlib because doing it properly just ends up with everyone having a bad tomeno

The one thing I can't stand is characterization or speech inconsistent with the time or setting of the roleplay.

If it is a 17th-century salon, you shouldn't be saying modern slang or blatantly defying against royalty, unless that's the objective of the RP.

Godmoding and force-posting really make it a fail for me. As much as I hate one liners they are better than having someone write your characters actions and outcomes for you.

The behaviour of the other rper more than anything else. People who ignore starters and replies, people who try to cut folks out of a rp, people who try to get you to do a ship you aren't interested in writing, people who are snobby regarding ocs...

The quality of the writing is a put off, but there are times I can put up with that if the person is nice.

Breaking immersion is usually the biggest muse killer for me. If I'm having a hard time getting my head around something making sense, I can't even begin to formulate a response from my character. This usually happens when someone else's character is acting in a manner that just ridiculously makes no rational sense to act.

I'm pretty adaptable and roleplay with people of varying skill levels quite regularly, but this is probably my biggest hurdle. Try as I might, I struggle to find words to post when the interaction has flown off the rails and just makes no sense.

This is usually a case with inexperienced players who made characters that act like themselves or some archetype that they picked out for personal fun with no regard for the role that the character is being played in.

Example: player makes a super highly trained military badass who its shy, unconfident, and incompetent in the field. It becomes a cascade of not making sense how the character got into that role in the first place. Now let's say my character is their direct superior and I have to try and come to terms with why the heck my character went along with the situation up too this point which means my character is no longer making sense to me either, and it just tends to snowball my muse to death.

I like things to make sense :p

Shipping. Thoroughly evil characters getting away with most or all of their crap, and being written as invincible, unkillable. Godmoding. Vampy angst. Human/vampy romance. Erotica. Overused cliche character types and plots.

Back