What symbols represent envy?

In a book I'm currently writing, I need symbols that represent envy that I can work into the environment. So far I have lions, yellow hyacinths, and the color dark green. I can't find any more on Google, but to be honest that's to be expected now:emoji_rolling_eyes: Does anyone know any other things that represent envy?

What about Rats, Mosquitoes, and Vultures. Animals that survive through scavenging and stealing what's already been captured or owned.

Or how about parasitic wasps. Animals that require another being to procreate.

This came from a Yahoo Answer but I found it really interesting;

The color green is representative of youth, vitality, generosity, prosperity, and nature, so beyond the "the green with envy" idiom and the "green-eyed monster" connotation it's not really symbolic of jealousy. Many do think that it is, though, so you could use a dark green colored item and people would probably make the connection to jealousy. Shakespeare was the one who first associated green with envy when he described jealousy as the "green sickness" in Anthony and Cleopatra. He was referring to someone being so envious they literally looked "green" with illness. He wasn't associating the color itself or green items with jealousy. He also coined the term "green-eyed monster," when his character Iago warned of it in Othello, but once again he was not referencing a material object. He was alluding to cats who are often green-eyed and like to tease their prey before attacking and devouring them. Green-eyed cats are now symbolic of jealousy. If you have a painting or a photo of one that would work.

Yellow is actually the color of jealousy. Yellow roses were said to be representative of infidelity, dying love, and envy.

Phthonos was the Greek God of envy and jealousy, and Nemesis was the goddess of jealous retribution. You could use objects associated with them.

A broken mirror is associated with vanity and envy because of Snow White.

The Fofo is a yellow-flowered plant associated with envy.

In regard to creating an environment that is ripe with envy consider a change in atmosphere that is so strong that your characters are able to physically feel it as they traverse the area. Of course how effective that would be really depends on the type of environment in the first place and your writing style/the rest of the novel as well but I digress. Maybe as the characters pass through it they feel things touching or tugging at them, not enough to be considered violent or restraining but in a similar way to the way that people will reach out to touch something that they like or consider beautiful. Normally not a particularly envious action but one that readily has the basis of envy lurking beneath it.

This came from a Yahoo Answer but I found it really interesting;

The color green is representative of youth, vitality, generosity, prosperity, and nature, so beyond the "the green with envy" idiom and the "green-eyed monster" connotation it's not really symbolic of jealousy. Many do think that it is, though, so you could use a dark green colored item and people would probably make the connection to jealousy. Shakespeare was the one who first associated green with envy when he described jealousy as the "green sickness" in Anthony and Cleopatra. He was referring to someone being so envious they literally looked "green" with illness. He wasn't associating the color itself or green items with jealousy. He also coined the term "green-eyed monster," when his character Iago warned of it in Othello, but once again he was not referencing a material object. He was alluding to cats who are often green-eyed and like to tease their prey before attacking and devouring them. Green-eyed cats are now symbolic of jealousy. If you have a painting or a photo of one that would work.

Yellow is actually the color of jealousy. Yellow roses were said to be representative of infidelity, dying love, and envy.

Phthonos was the Greek God of envy and jealousy, and Nemesis was the goddess of jealous retribution. You could use objects associated with them.

A broken mirror is associated with vanity and envy because of Snow White.

The Fofo is a yellow-flowered plant associated with envy.

In regard to creating an environment that is ripe with envy consider a change in atmosphere that is so strong that your characters are able to physically feel it as they traverse the area. Of course how effective that would be really depends on the type of environment in the first place and your writing style/the rest of the novel as well but I digress. Maybe as the characters pass through it they feel things touching or tugging at them, not enough to be considered violent or restraining but in a similar way to the way that people will reach out to touch something that they like or consider beautiful. Normally not a particularly envious action but one that readily has the basis of envy lurking beneath it.
Thank you so much! This helps tremendously!

Back