1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. New and confused? Can't post? Looking for information regarding account approval? Check out our website guide to see if any of your questions are covered there! If your questions aren't covered under our guide, post them up in your introduction thread or the help forum.
  3. Want to feature one of your roleplays on the front page? See here for information: September's Featured Roleplays.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We are currently accepting applications for multiple staff positions. Check out our Site Announcements forum for details!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time for another voting drive! As with previous voting drives we will be sending out voting reminders once a day for the first week of a new voting cycle. This helps to get a good position in the top rankings early on. For people wanting to help out around the site but who can't necessarily contribute in other ways, this is a great way to help out. I can't understate how important voting is. Almost all of our traffic comes from TopRPSites, and when we aren't in the top rankings, we don't draw in new users. So get on in there and vote for Storyteller's Circle!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. So as some of you may already know, we're looking to get the website's platform updated to the newest version of Xenforo. The newer platform (Xenforo 2) comes with a lot of solid features and bug fixes from the original Xenforo. To reach this end we have setup a donation campaign for people interested in helping out.
    Dismiss Notice

What was one mistake you always made when you were new to roleplaying?

Discussion in 'Writer's Circle' started by Imbion, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Dorian

Dorian New Member

Okay, so it would probably be a shorter list if I said what I did right rather than wrong, lol! ;-)

Of my many mistakes I think I struggle the most with the speed at which the plot progresses; either it is too fast or too slow. Previous RP partners of mind would likely be laughing, knowing first hand the much more grevious mistakes I make, but there you go. :)

2. cassidy

cassidy california gorl

i was the ultimate edgelord/drama queen. no joke at all. i felt something was a bit boring? catch me breaking a character’s arm or starting a fight. thankfully i’ve calmed down much more with that, so i’m not so cringy in that aspect anymore (thankfully).

3. MelodyMeister

MelodyMeister Flagship Character(s): Cute Anime Girls

Well, I did post here when I was new, so I’ll think back.
    ((Hasn’t actually changed that much))
    Well, it’s true, my characters seem to act exactly the same, must be typeplaying. I mostly play young girls, so that’s probably why they end up with the same personality.
    Looking back, I realise that my writing style is still absolutely atrocious, and I have a problem with run on sentences.
    And of course, my title is The Twink for a reason, I write what I know, and that’s probably why my characters end up so stupidly weird.
    I don’t do godmodding, and I’m careful with powerplaying, but I do accidentally do meta gaming.

4. NujabesLives!

NujabesLives! Music for the soul

One problem I feel I ran into quite often when roleplaying was during my formative years(so around when I was 10-11) I'd been in drama classes at school quite often up to that point. I felt it helped me work past emotional issues and gave me a chance to interact with others my age who had similar interests that weren't sports(because I was terrible at those.)

But in doing so, I became so intertwined with the format of 'script writing' that I'd often have characters speak like

Character X: so and so how's the weather today?
    [CHARACTER Y TURNS TO FACE CHARACTER X]
    Character Y: Why as it happens it's lovely today!

Rather than the format that's typically used these days which is third person, at least for the most part. I feel unless you're writing a fanfic/singular story with your character as the lead, first person shouldn't really come into RPing.

I was also pretty bad at grammar, still have my problems these days. But having grown up I've cared less about typos and run on sentences than I did when I was a kid and scared of the reactions I might get from my peers.

5. ChoosingTulip

ChoosingTulip New Member

One thing I always had trouble with was godmodding. Yeah, one of the basic rules of thumb, and that was my main issue. I always controlled the action that’s happened to my opponent or I would throw a bunch of different moves and attacks at my opponent at once, giving them little to no chance to react to all of it.

6. Fatality

Fatality Music person

When I first started role playing, I mixed up in and out of character without any warning,

7. Cheese_Pizza

Cheese_Pizza New Member

Godmodding. When I began roleplaying a feeble years ago, I would always godmod in fights or other situations, which was a nasty habit of mine.

8. Dashmiel

Dashmiel Bearly In Charge Staff Member Administrator Chronicles of the Omniverse GM

My biggest mistake was simply not talking to my fellow RPers about what we were writing. Rather than talk up where we were going and how to best get there together, I'd just get sad when my plot threads kept going nowhere. Only to find later that we were all in the same boat, all rowing in different random directions.

Still happens sometimes, but usually a conversation or two is all takes to greatly enhance everyones enjoyment, whether you're the GM or not, whether you're on a quick one off or in a multistory sandbox. Just talking to your fellows about your plans and desires turns all kinds of roadblocks into new avenues.

9. Xelian

Xelian Magical Cat

Mine was probably my character creation, a lot of my characters were clones of eachother with a different name. I barely ever had any diversity in them at all so I ended up getting bored of the characters I had created. Not to mention the fact that the characters were pretty much just clones of myself irl, instead of challenging myself to think as somebody different, with a different set of skills or different morals.

10. Booper

Booper Pressing all the buttons!! AT THE SAME TIME!!

Hey~!

Hmmm...

~Taking things personally. Like I was pretty shy as a teen and had severe anxiety issues. So I had a hard time separating charrie from irl me. And so I would tend to drop or ghost due to hurt feelings or spiralling anxiety. :[[[

~i think it's called 'white-knight-ing'? Its like where you do too much given the time frame to react . And all you do is like heroic things and block others from danger or help them overcome obstacles. Wutevs it's called but yeah. That :\

~And number one? That definitely was speed posting. 'nuff said about that ^^;

11. Chewy

Chewy ..I know..

One of the problems I've always struggled with (and even now after 15 years I still struggle) is when I'm looking at original roleplays, that are not my own, I fail to understand certain aspects so when I go to write a "character application/character bio" I tend to have things that I need to fix. I'm not exactly sure why but it can be embarrassing. So now, I tend to ask way more questions than most people.

Rubbler likes this.
  12. Rubbler

Rubbler New Member

Well the first time I've ever rped I said what the other player did too.

Example:

Characters: Rosa (me), Henry (other person)

My Post: Rosa was happy - no, she was absolutely ecstatic! She'd just won the championship. But her best friend Henry didn't.

"What's wrong, Henry?"
    Henry shrugged, brushing away a tear as he gazed at the sunset. "Nothing, someone must be cutting onions again."

----

I forgot what that's called. The other player said it was okay because it was my first time. I learned not to judge, since I saw other players do the same thing as me, though I never really mind since it was never something my character would never do.

13. Missvibes

Missvibes Member

My biggest problem, and still kind of is; is committing to a character's mannerisms and personality. Obviously over time and given situations a person can change, but I found myself trying to mold with my RP partner too much instead of letting the differences between our characters create good story.

Rubbler likes this.