What was one mistake you always made when you were new to roleplaying?

Okay, so it would probably be a shorter list if I said what I did right rather than wrong, lol! ;-)

Of my many mistakes I think I struggle the most with the speed at which the plot progresses; either it is too fast or too slow. Previous RP partners of mind would likely be laughing, knowing first hand the much more grevious mistakes I make, but there you go. :)

• For me? Powerplaying was a serious problem. When I first started roleplaying, I was quite young. I did a lot of cringy things, but powerplaying was my most common and most terrible crime. What mistakes did you guys make?
i was the ultimate edgelord/drama queen. no joke at all. i felt something was a bit boring? catch me breaking a character’s arm or starting a fight. thankfully i’ve calmed down much more with that, so i’m not so cringy in that aspect anymore (thankfully).

Well, I did post here when I was new, so I’ll think back.
((Hasn’t actually changed that much))
Well, it’s true, my characters seem to act exactly the same, must be typeplaying. I mostly play young girls, so that’s probably why they end up with the same personality.
Looking back, I realise that my writing style is still absolutely atrocious, and I have a problem with run on sentences.
And of course, my title is The Twink for a reason, I write what I know, and that’s probably why my characters end up so stupidly weird.
I don’t do godmodding, and I’m careful with powerplaying, but I do accidentally do meta gaming.

One problem I feel I ran into quite often when roleplaying was during my formative years(so around when I was 10-11) I'd been in drama classes at school quite often up to that point. I felt it helped me work past emotional issues and gave me a chance to interact with others my age who had similar interests that weren't sports(because I was terrible at those.)

But in doing so, I became so intertwined with the format of 'script writing' that I'd often have characters speak like

Character X: so and so how's the weather today?
[CHARACTER Y TURNS TO FACE CHARACTER X]
Character Y: Why as it happens it's lovely today!

Rather than the format that's typically used these days which is third person, at least for the most part. I feel unless you're writing a fanfic/singular story with your character as the lead, first person shouldn't really come into RPing.

I was also pretty bad at grammar, still have my problems these days. But having grown up I've cared less about typos and run on sentences than I did when I was a kid and scared of the reactions I might get from my peers.

One thing I always had trouble with was godmodding. Yeah, one of the basic rules of thumb, and that was my main issue. I always controlled the action that’s happened to my opponent or I would throw a bunch of different moves and attacks at my opponent at once, giving them little to no chance to react to all of it.

Godmodding. When I began roleplaying a feeble years ago, I would always godmod in fights or other situations, which was a nasty habit of mine.

My biggest mistake was simply not talking to my fellow RPers about what we were writing. Rather than talk up where we were going and how to best get there together, I'd just get sad when my plot threads kept going nowhere. Only to find later that we were all in the same boat, all rowing in different random directions.

Still happens sometimes, but usually a conversation or two is all takes to greatly enhance everyones enjoyment, whether you're the GM or not, whether you're on a quick one off or in a multistory sandbox. Just talking to your fellows about your plans and desires turns all kinds of roadblocks into new avenues.

Mine was probably my character creation, a lot of my characters were clones of eachother with a different name. I barely ever had any diversity in them at all so I ended up getting bored of the characters I had created. Not to mention the fact that the characters were pretty much just clones of myself irl, instead of challenging myself to think as somebody different, with a different set of skills or different morals.

Hey~!

Hmmm...

~Taking things personally. Like I was pretty shy as a teen and had severe anxiety issues. So I had a hard time separating charrie from irl me. And so I would tend to drop or ghost due to hurt feelings or spiralling anxiety. :[[[

~i think it's called 'white-knight-ing'? Its like where you do too much given the time frame to react . And all you do is like heroic things and block others from danger or help them overcome obstacles. Wutevs it's called but yeah. That :\

~And number one? That definitely was speed posting. 'nuff said about that ^^;

One of the problems I've always struggled with (and even now after 15 years I still struggle) is when I'm looking at original roleplays, that are not my own, I fail to understand certain aspects so when I go to write a "character application/character bio" I tend to have things that I need to fix. I'm not exactly sure why but it can be embarrassing. So now, I tend to ask way more questions than most people.

Well the first time I've ever rped I said what the other player did too.

Example:

Characters: Rosa (me), Henry (other person)

My Post: Rosa was happy - no, she was absolutely ecstatic! She'd just won the championship. But her best friend Henry didn't.

"What's wrong, Henry?"
Henry shrugged, brushing away a tear as he gazed at the sunset. "Nothing, someone must be cutting onions again."

----

I forgot what that's called. The other player said it was okay because it was my first time. I learned not to judge, since I saw other players do the same thing as me, though I never really mind since it was never something my character would never do.

My biggest problem, and still kind of is; is committing to a character's mannerisms and personality. Obviously over time and given situations a person can change, but I found myself trying to mold with my RP partner too much instead of letting the differences between our characters create good story.

My horrible teenage wanna be like myself characters and just horrible character sheets, and my godmodding(so controlling the other RPers character). I've come along way in my 10 years roleplaying

Biggest mistakes I always made early on was forgetting my hit dice in Dungeons and Dragons, it would take me forever to figure out what I needed to roll and what I needed to hit and then of course my damage. That's a lot for a 7 year old kid.

When I made the move the RP forums, one major thing I would forget is the setting, what I mean by that is where the characters were such as a restaurant or out in the open. I never would forget if it was modern day or medieval...just where the characters were...it was quite humiliating at times but it taught me to work with my partners better and more in depth to put out a better product.

The biggest mistake I would always make is making my characters into Mary/Gary Sue´s, and never letting them make any bad decisions.

Oh as much as this makes me cringe, I was always so angry and willing to just beat the snot out of any other character. I started on a chat based client so when id get replies within seconds I was always ready to go.

Now I really don't enjoy pvp at all, guess it was more of a "prove yourself" type of ordeal backed then. Fighting isn't the only skill that counts :)

While I still believe myself to be new to roleplaying in its entirety I have grown quite an amount. Sadly the old days were still filled with mistakes, a major one being a reliance on others to create either the personal or external conflicts for which my character was to react. I worked to resolve it by forcing myself through situations in which I was the one to decide most of the factors within a roleplay, hopefully curing me of my mistake for all future situations.

I tried to do everything, and was way overzealous. My poor first partner, I would chase her down with notebooks during school hours demanding responses from her. That RP involved the mafia, gender switching, romance, trains, disease, it was over the top and stupid. Those were my big mistakes, you can't have your roleplay be everything

My biggest problem was always spreading myself too thin with too many characters at once. I always had so many characters I wanted to throw into these roleplays I was in that I would end up having far too many to handle and finding myself lagging behind terribly because I did not have the time or ability to write for them all

Back