What was your longest continuously played Character?

Mayor Of Tubac

Painting Drifter
I know length of time is never a measurement for quality, but I do have a couple characters from different genres that have stayed near n' dear to my heart after all this time away from any kind of Roleplay. I'm putting this in the beginning of this because I want to hear the stories from other people! I don't care if you're new, or old to the format like I feel, but drop a post with your answer, and a little tale of who that character was in that world. I want this to be a fond memory exercise, and get to know the people on the board cause I'm super new here to the Storyteller's Circle... I just joined last night! Let's have fun, and tell each other about the character/characters you played for the longest! :D Thank you all for telling me any kind of answers, and below this is my own. There are really only two for me that stand out as the big boys in my head.

#1. Curtis - From - Pokemon Legacy RP
I played a character named Curtis Mikals on a really built up Pokemon Forum. When I first joined that site, it was the summer before my Freshman year in Highschool! I found the place just randomly floating around in the old AOL chatrooms, and saw a couple people talking about this game online. This was back when Diamond & Pearl had come out, but I absolutely wasn't going to get a DS. They were too much money. So I dropped into the website in a totally custom region with their own detailed map/movement system. It ran like a massive Dungeons & Dragons website fused with Pokemon lore, and a totally player driven story. I had actually come into the game halfway through what became the overall story of the whole campaign. Curtis had started as kind of a self-insert at the time since I was so new, and started out just playing the game out like any old Pokemon game. I went along on my own for most of it, caught Pokemon, and actually got to write out the relationship between Trainer & Pokemon because I wasn't restricted by the constraints of the normal game. About 2 years passed, and suddenly the story had changed around the site. Things had gotten kind of weird as alliances began to form, and new mechanics came along because the region was devolving into civil war.

That's when I feel like I actually started evolving as a writer. The whole time I had been going after gyms slowly, and just making friends with a handful of people playing through a Pokemon Journey! Well, I was in one of the metropolis cities in the region when I got trapped in the middle of two alliances war game because of my placement on the map. One was basically a guerilla warfare version of Team Rocket, and the other was essentially the Region's Military. The TR Rebels ended up killing my Drowzee in the middle of the chaos... and it flipped a switch. Curtis sided with the Military, and then got neck deep with the site's plot until the end. I played the character all the way through to my college years(about 7 or 8 in total), and had the grandest time. He never even got another gym badge, and over time decided to step up as much as he could. Eventually he became more of a Pokemon Breeder for the Military, making the stock for new officers of better than generic quality. He went from a plain jane to someone who finally had some real motivations, and the length of time I got to play him really let me explore a lot of that. As everything went on it taught me a lot about writing, and not only that but community. There were so many players, and everyone was so friendly. They were telling a grand story that went on for about 15 years in total...

To this day I miss that damned Website, and group of writers. I was drawn to it as a replacement for regular Pokemon Games, and then over time it was more about my character and his journey with Pokemon just as some kind of backdrop to suck people in. I still have friends from there my age I catch up with, but the people I'm really happy I got a chance to meet were the ones I considered the older mentors. They've got families, and are neck deep in real life now, but I know they still think about the stories that used to get written too. I remember writing as much as I could back then as a kid, and those mentors were my age caught up in the trappings of bullshit all the time, and now I get it. Dan, Maverick, Jolt, and most of all FortyFive you crazy bastard, this last paragraph is for you guys! You're the only reason I keep getting drawn back to RP, and more than that write my own books. It's really a shame that Legacy couldn't be what it used to.

I have a few, I think:

1. Nick Baker- Nicky was actually created as a side character in another RP in about 2012. I always joke that he was never alive to begin with, so it's fine if he ends up dying. He was just a name on a list of casualties in a war, and then we ended up doing some flashbacks and we got to develop him as a character, a love interest, and I fell head over heels for him. He is completely different from any character I have ever created, my first LGBTQ+ character, and I have been able to place him into different worlds (Sherlock RP, Harry Potter RP, my own original stories) and develop his character even more. He slowly became someone that I myself strive to be- logical, kind, organized. The Harry Potter roleplay was really fun, because I got to develop him from 15 years old and up- his family dynamic, sexuality, friendships, motivations... I also have played Nick's love interest, Oliver, multiple times, but perhaps because Nick is a little more different from myself as a person, I prefer writing as him.

2. Remus Lupin (Yes, I am well aware he is NOT my character, but he is someone who I have spent a LOT of time writing and developing, so I think of him as my version of Remus). Remus is and always has been my favorite Harry Potter Character. I am basic, I am well aware of this. I write Remus as a mischievous, soft spoken, burnt out gifted kid who has a LOT of self-hatred and doubt. I developed his past with his family (and fell in love with his parents, Hope and Lyall), leaned HEAVILY into his Welsh background and made that a big part of his character, and I love exploring his potential relationships with his friends and love interests such as Sirius and Tonks. I also do my fair share of cosplaying him on Tiktok.

Character development is my absolute favorite part of writing. I can spend hours creating a character, deepening them, and fleshing out their stories. I have literally so many more I could write a whole novel on just this.

For the longest time, since around High School, I used to write Zero Kiryuu from Vampire Knight Series (c) Hino Matsuri. I know he's not mine but he's who I started out with as a canon character already established and had friends who Rp'd VK characters and some OCs as well. From him I branched out into other Muses but he was the one I really stuck with the longest.

Back