What's The Hardest Thing About Writing?

I think my biggest obstacle is finding my characters voice. I can world build, come up with complete backgrounds all day long. Yet for some reason when I make my characters talk, they tend to talk all alike. I probably just need more practice but that's my biggest challenge!

I have the same problem with naming. I find myself gravitating towards the names of celebrities, characters in a book series I love, characters in a movie, etcetera. I also have trouble with planning personal stories. I'm trying to get into the habit of storyboarding and planning in my writing, but when it's on my own, I completely lose that flair, and I completely forget to storyboard later parts of the story.

Actually writing. I love creating concepts and characters, but writing can be so difficult for me. Especially since my phrasing can become quite stiff and awkward, and it never lives up to what I imagined it to be. I can never outright capture the essence of the idea, really. I have no clue how so many people can come up with cohesive sentences that just seem to flow so eloquently together. Mine seem like every sentence was from an entirely different story with varying quality mashed together.

I think the hardest thing about writing is mostly thinking about the story. Like how the story is going to play out to reach that big part in the story (if that makes sense) @~@

Last edited:
I'll find myself in a storm of creativity and a rush of ideas....and then if I'm lucky I'll get some of it down on paper. But then, after a week or so, my brain will burn out and it'll become a chore to continue living in that world.

I think for me it is I don't plan what I write and when I get an idea I just add it on to the story so in the end it has no aim or I don't know where it is going.

For me it is definitely world-building, it may be why I like urban fantasy. I can use the world we already live in. But I have a dystopian story in my head so will need to break out of that a bit to describe a ravaged landscape.

Sometimes I also get caught up in tiny details and have to make them realistic when it probably isn't that critical. I can spend far too much time when I get in that head space.

Describing in detail what the OC is feeling. Like, if they are excited, I want to make the reader feel the OC's excitement. I want to use Homer's way of poetic writing mixed with Lovecraft's awesome descriptions. I want all these to fit in one sentence if possible.

Another is that I have to think, recheck and make sure I am not Godmodding or something related to that.

The hardest thing for me is being in the mood to write in the first place, I need to get in a certain mind frame to actually write my best, otherwise I just feel it's subpar and can do better, and that distracts me and my writing overall just gets worse because of it x:

The hardest for me would be wrapping things up. I either do it too quickly or not at all. Or both. Keep putting it off because I'm not up to it, then rushing and making it sloppy.

I agree with those who say fight scenes. I'm not high on the scale of physical/spacial intelligence. But fighting is a lot easier when you are writing collavoratively, so I'd put it as my second hardest. For me it is simple to visualize when it's not all in my head.

Third, gotta be keeping motivation. I can do it if I stick to it, but life pulls at me and I lose focus, and sometimes I come back and I have forgotten where I was and where I was going.

I would say...That with writing a multitude of characters, the difficult part is making sure they don't all sound the same. Using different action words to describe how a character moves or operates can sometimes be hard. I find that with the more characters I test my hand at, the more I notice similarities tween my writing style and descriptions of them. I often worry that I am making them all sound alike.

I tend to struggle with trivial stuff. I can go in with a solid world and main plot idea, but getting from start to finish is hard for me. I always second guess myself, so when I drive a plot in one direction I worry that it's wrong. "If I published this, would people be upset with this choice?" Is a question I often ask myself. Sometimes I struggle to create a cohesive character development because I'm so worried about the direction of my story, but I think creating characters and arcs for them as a whole is not a huge issue for me.
Sometimes I rush into writing something which is messy because not even I know what the plot was meant to be, so how am I supposed to create a world and story "following" that scattered idea.

The part I struggle with the most in writing is motivation.
I love developing worlds, I love creating characters for it and figuring out how they interact with each other and the world itself. I love the intricacies and the details and the lore. But I struggle to sit down and make progress. I struggle with thoughts like "no one is going to like this" or "I'm not good enough" or "this isn't going to turn out the way I want"
I've watched several role plays fall apart from people just not showing up and I blame myself for not being good enough as the person who created the thread. Which I shouldn't take personally, people have their lives, but it's always there in the back of my mind.
Usually motivation comes to me in a wave, if one aspect of my writing is going well all of it is. When something crashes and burns everything seems to crash and burn. My motivation for writing is a small tight knit town made of entirely of hay.
After motivation I have difficulty with fighting scenes, as I don't have a lot of practice in them.

world building and I'll say that until I'm dead lol, I can write a dozen coherent characters but world building I just use popular media as the bones and just edit it a little to fit the aesthetic. since building a setting for the character interactions is always hard.

Back