Where do you write?

I've been scouring the internet for software I can use for my writing that will help organize my ideas.
That, to me, is often the most troublesome part of writing. Motivation I don't lack. Creativity, I might have too much. So I've been looking for a program that would help organize the creativity that I want to share with others so much. So instead of this being an advertisement for a specific app. Consider this a review of the ones that I have used.
To add to this sense that this is in fact a review. I actually dedicated this to members who want their writing to be more than just a hobby or a pass time. Those of us who are looking to become published and have our stories shared with the world. Here you will find a brief review of each of these products and their pros and cons.

ProWritingAid - This is a great program, similar to Grammarly. ProWritingAid is a grammar checking program. But it has so much more features. Such as explanations to the specific problem it's found within grammar. But you can also fine tune it to cater to the style of writing. Though for those extra features by paying for their subscription. Which can be quite expensive. You can pay a monthly sub for US$25 or you can buy a lifetime subscription for US$399.99. I said it was expensive. But I like the free version of ProWritingAid more than I like the Grammarly. It's easier to use and the chrome extension is free like Grammarly. Cons come with all things. There is always a tradeoff. For example, they locked some of the deeper features behind a paywall, but a pro is having the ability to check your grammar score. It gages your style and grammar of the document. Then provides descriptions of the problem, what to change and why. All for free. Since using the extension to check my grammar. I've not only seen an improvement in my typing but my understanding of grammar and its uses. Though like everything, there are some bugs. I found when typing a story, there would be times I would get a grammar alert for something that grammatically made sense to the context. But did not work for the algorithm. I also encountered this same problem with Grammarly.

Living writer - I used this briefly, but I loved it. I am considering getting the subscription again once I get my life sorted out (lol). But this app was browser based, and they also had an android app that worked on my phone and my Chromebook. The app is an all in one and is still being developed a pretty new application for this type of thing, but they had the living writer like myself and probably some of you in mind. One of the biggest flaws of this app is that there is no free version you can experiment with. But the subscription compared to Grammarly and ProWritingAid is fairly inexpensive. This has features that allow you to make detailed character profiles. Connect relationships within your story. Use notes and plotlines. There is even a timeline or graph feature that allows you to make complete family trees and chronological orders of plotlines. As well as a document processor that can export to PDF or Docx, I would like to see a free version of this come along in the future. I enjoyed this, and it is relatively inexpensive to get the subscription.

Plottr- This is the one I am currently using and arguably the cheapest of all the platforms at US$24 for a year long license that can support up to three devices. The reason I like this one is other than the affordability compared to the other two. But it also has a timeline view and outline view. This allows you to use other outlining methods that were crafted by other users. Plottr is a feature rich with plenty to offer in terms of the writing process. The android application even works offline. There are some cons to this one. The application can be buggy sometimes. They've recently added a feature that allows a user to back up their work in their Dropbox account. But because google store needs to review this feature for their own purposes, I haven't been able to connect my account and use this feature. Though I could hardly fault the app developers for that. One thing I do fault them for is not having my work saved across all my devices used with the same license.

There you have it an entire article detailing a little about writing software that can be useful for writing whether you want to do it as a hobby or you are like me and hope one day you'll get a call from a publisher saying they would like to publish your work. I suppose I should hunt for an agent first. But perhaps I will post some work here before I get into that. Consider this my first publication then. Ironically, to write this, I used ProWritingAid to correct any minor errors that I made typing it.

Back