Why did you begin to do roleplaying?

I used to do a lot of rping when I was on GaiaOnline when I would used to dress my avatar up as different characters. Eventually I just started to create my own ocs. Then when I used to be on Tumblr a lot I found out that there were people out there that liked to roleplay. That's when I got super into. Lately it's been difficult to rp on that site anymore so I was looking to be able to rp more some place else and found myself here.

It all started when me and my highschool friends decided to create a story. We would design our own characters and give them their own unique personalities and backgrounds. My first ever major OC is Frederick Feller, a man who attempted to become omnipotent but ended up turning himself into a joke character in fear of getting killed. As time passed, and as I created and scrapped more and more characters, I began to feel the powerful urge to give life to my creations. That is when I began searching for means to do so. I began roleplaying on a RP chat app, but when it became defunct, I resorted to searching for roleplaying sites, starting with forums.

I was playing minecraft and someone had mentioned that they did roleplaying. It sounded fun, so I asked if they could show me what it was and if I could try that with them. Well, they ended up leaving after a short while, but it stuck with me. I've been doing it since then almost consistently. At first I only joined RPs someone had going, then I started making my own stories.

I was forced into roleplaying a week ago by a very lovely friend. I didn't know that when I was collaborating with them that we were already roleplaying. It was then that I had to 'pay' something and they said that the compensation was to join in the Circle and RP there. I am an introvert and is actually shy when talking to people over the internet but I will do this!

Oh, God, I don't think I could tell you why I began roleplaying. I was 12 years old and got my start on Neopets. I guess it was just something to do, I'd say it fulfilled some sort of fantasy in my head to get behind the eyes of something/someone else, but honestly, I was roleplaying Lupes and Kougras so...yeah, idk, circling back to boredom as far as my 'start' went.

From there, I got into wolves and horses...again, I think it was a mixture of boredom but also the sense of community. I've always been very introverted, so being able to creatively express myself through miniature stories with other like-minded individuals but who would also just chat about their days, share artwork, talk about music, etc. was amazing to me.

Eventually, I wound up getting into Harry Potter genre and never left, lol. Roleplaying became WAY more personal to me from this point on; it was no longer about boredom, but I caught myself inserting a little piece of myself into all of my characters.

Roleplay became very therapeutic to me and remains to this day a way for me to explore things that I've been through (past traumas, etc.), explore things I'd like to do (characters traveling, ideal relationships, etc.). So yeah, I guess in a way it's a way for me to live out fantasies in some ways or explore sides of myself that I probably normally wouldn't explore IRL.

It's also been super self-reflective, has gotten me through some of the harder points of my life (abusive relationships, divorce, etc.) because I'm not the best with words, verbally, but man can I ever get them down onto paper (or into posts, ha). XD Huge example: I entirely don't think I'd have ever come to terms with my sexuality had it not been for roleplay. Exploring various alternatives to all I've known (heterosexuality) through roleplay really helped me in coming out. ^_^

As far as the "second life" thing, I don't really vibe with that. True, I'm way more extroverted online vs. IRL, but I'm always pretty straight-forward and unapologetically me; I'm not pretending to be someone who I'm not OOCly, and I don't put enough of myself into my characters ICly to adopt their personas as my own or someone who I wish I were; I like who I am as a whole and personality-wise, I just like to explore certain situations via RP.

That’s, in fact, a brilliant question that made me think.
Well, years ago I stumbled over a few people who invited me to Roleplay with them and I “fell in love at the first sight”. To my own shame, I didn’t took it serious to begin with. I just had those basic characters everyone had, without giving them a bit of my own touch. shudders dark times to remember.
So, basically I just fooled around without knowing that there’s a lot more behind it.

As I grew older I began to think about it and made a bit of research, especially as I watched others. The image alone to create a whole different person and play as him/her was fascinating. The fact of turning the reality off was the kick I needed too. That’s when things started to get serious.
laughs I can’t even count the endless amount of advices I’ve read day and night. To think back to my first character, who I really put some work into and made them somewhat special, is a great feeling after those few years. They are so kind and precious, I don’t wanna forget them.

Anyways, as mentioned I love to just shut the reality off. I always enjoyed reading and writing my own crap-stories, just to escape for a few hours.
Roleplaying came around the corner and was like, “Oh yeah, lemme just show you something.”
And then worlds build up in my mind, stories and characters. It was absolutely fantastic.

I also loved to chat with complete strangers in OC or IC. And that’s why I never stopped something I didn’t care for at the start, lmao.

Last edited:
When I was a freshman in high school a buddy of mine knew I loved to write and would constantly suggest I get into role playing online. He was trying to get me to join him on Gaia Online, and after a while I reluctantly joined. I'm glad I did, I really can't tell you all the hours I spent on that site, made some really great friends there, some of which I still keep in touch with. Since then role playing has been a part of my life in one form or another.

Dungeons and Dragons has definitely been the most prevalent role playing outlet for the last few years. I love all the strange situations and bizarre adventures you can have with a group of like-minded misfits. I'm thinking of typing up some of the adventures from my current campaign and posting them on here for people to enjoy. We are definitely not your typical "Murder hobo' D&D group. If anyone on here would like to discuss doing a campaign of 5e over discord let me know. Would love to roll some digital bones with some of you lovely humans.

So I started on chicken smoothie. I had made a pixel adoptable site with this elaborate backstory about where all the little pets I made came from.

I wanted to give my customers a chance to interact directly with the backstory so I came up with an idea to do “guided tours” of the island the shop was set in. One of my staff was like, oh you want to do a roleplay.

The rest was history. I stayed on chickensmoothie for about a year before moving onto Gaia Online. I was on there off and on for years before being cut adrift.

Im excited to see what this website brings.

I've always loved playing imagination games and writing little stories in my head. I love to write, but it tends to get lonely and I love writing with other people! It can be more fun that way, especially if the person you're roleplaying with does something unexpected! It's fun to pretend to be a character I'm not. I also love creating characters, I love adding flaws to them since they can add so much charm!

I ended up getting roped into Wattpad by a "friend", and I also roleplayed with her. I then just looked for independent roleplay from there and was completely open to roleplays by private messaging only. I actually could relate a lot with some of the characters I put in, and some just radiate my energy.

I was more or less interested in trying to improve my writing overall. Since doing it the normal way is boring and more than likely to just drain me, I turned to try and make it fun--roleplaying. I've started at Iwaku but activity there is lacking and wouldn't help me.

Moving at RPN helped my chances grow, and here, I hope to improve even further.

My friend was into it, and we didn't really have much in common back then so I decided to try it out with her and ended up really getting into it.

Mostly because I just love writing and it seemed fun. I first got into in sites that I already used in which the main purpose wasn't roleplaying, but forums for such
(Fanfiction.net; Tv Tropes etc). I came upon search threads for group roleplays that interested me and as they say, the rest is history.

I started roleplaying when I was a teen and things weren't so good in real life. So it was an escape mainly, but I grew to love it. I love writing especially with other people! :)

Reactions: N0X
I love writing and creating stories in my head, so it was only natural that I should find roleplaying eventually. The first time I roleplayed was on a discord server where I was an Italian chef married to a Catholic priest (I don't actually think priests can marry, buuuuuut) and I immediately fell in love. I love how you can become all sorts of people while roleplaying that you'd never have come up with otherwise.

Reactions: N0X
I came into the Realm of Roleplaying quite late in life, (I had thought it was 2012, but looking at the story, it started in 2008 and ended right at the end of 2011), and during a crucial time in a college student's life. I had been taking a few creative writing classes and with Finals rapidly approaching, my Muse came down with stage fright and fled, leaving me to battle the ever-dreaded writer's kryptonite on my own. Writer's Block. Oh yes, it can be most crippling to papers that are assigned and to grades that need to stay about or above where they currently sat.

Well, I reached out to my professor and he introduced myself and a few of my fellow college peeps to the concept of Roleplaying. I had heard of it but never really looked into it until that day and that started a story of five people adventuring off into the Realm of Roleplaying. That story started with five and ended, three years later with only two players left standing.

Flash forward a few years and a DLC of DA completion and we are where I began a new journey in the storytelling world. Dragon Age Inquisition, the Trespasser DLC, left me wanting. Closure, perhaps? Revenge? Maybe to beg Solas to take my Lavellan with him? Hunt his arse down in the Fade and beat the everloving Lyrium out of him? So, I reached out over the Twitterverse and found a group of fellow DA lovers and jumped in with Elindra Lavellan, on the hunt for a Solas to take her revenge out on and my Lady Rayne Trevelyan who becomes a Key Guild member to the House of Repose... or something to that effect.

Social media was a fun outlet, but not if I wanted to branch out and have more than the two players and having multiple accounts for each player was a pain in the head to put up with. I ventured onto the interwebs and typed into the Google and that led me to Forum RP and that was back in 2019.

So, that is my tale of how I found my way into the Realm... I hope you enjoyed the read. Happy Writing and may your day be Fantastical <3

mine was accidental, i saw people on Animal Jam (an old animal game that was supposed to be educational but everyone just messed around on it) acting like they were kids or pets that needed to be adopted and i played along, didnt even know it was roleplay for months lol

Back