Why did you begin to do roleplaying?

It just felt right, I jumped in at first because I learned it from my cousin in Gaiaonline, but soon after my cousin stopped getting into it, and I just kept digging in then I had friends get into it, I even had some not so lovable people ask me about it, I guess RPing is more for everyone, anime too soon I started to feet the hunger outgrow the computer I started listening to to music that made me crave a new world so I took a pen and started to write, I write a full book, and a half but my writing was attrocious, then again I was in middle school what would you expect, and yeah been writing ever since, I took a good break, and started writing stories this year, if anyone is interested I'll give you the link to my fiction press stories

One of my best friends got me hooked on it and ive been rping for the past 10 years. Its a good outlet way, you can rp how your feeling easily. And it can be a good way to find friends.

I started roleplaying because my household was not in the best state, and it gave me some relief to become someone else nobody knew. I loved how I could be my image of perfect, who I really am, or the complete opposite and most people would accept it. I wish as many people roleplayed as they did when I was younger and had first started out, and the communities for fandoms weren't as toxic as they are now.

I started roleplaying long, serious things because I enjoyed writing; however, I can probably thank seven year old me roleplaying on club penguin and planting the seed for the interest.

I've always loved writing and fiction since I was a kid, and I think it just naturally progressed from there. When I was a teenager I was involved in stuff like Warhammer, so more physical fiction, but really into reading and gaming as well. I've just always loved how you can live away in other worlds. I joined (although am longer part of) IMVU when I was 17 and got involved in a lot of rp groups on there, some amazing, some awful, but gave me a very good learning curve for doing things like forum RP later on!

Started RP'ng with D&D many years ago, then would write out character actions and roleplay them with my brother when we played board wargames like Squad Leader, B17, and Patton's Best. These characters would take on a life of their own and their stories would turn into bigger stories, etc. I got deep into onlone forum RP on a Tolkien Middle Earth site, then started doing modern stuff of late.

It's an escape. My parents had been treating me like crap and the school I had been going to all the kids were bullying me. I was in a rough patch still kind of am. But I found a role play site I made an account and there I went. I felt happy when I wrote. I felt like all my problems where gone and It was just me and whatever character I was playing. Long story short it helped distract me and still does. Its my coping tool my home away from home

I started roleplaying back on Gaiaonline. I'm still active member on there. I been rolplaying since 2003. I still trying get better with my roleplaying. I felt like I need more learn about. Roleplaying is my hobby now.

I have always been into acting as other characters, even during like school masquerades at a young age I went all in with the costumes, voices and all. Video games seemed to offer some choices when it came to character creation and so, but once I discovered the freedom that you can explore in roleplaying, there was no going back. What makes it more fun than just writing stories on your own is the interactivity with other players, someone to bounce off of, and inspire you.

Roleplaying was a way for me to escape to another world. Things were not great for me at the time I started, and it was therapeutic. I always played adventure and fantasy games, so it wasn't too hard to get into the groove. I really enjoyed creating worlds with others and making an environment of our own to run free and accomplish things together. It made my love for it grow to heights I did not expect to reach. Sadly over the years, I have grown distant from it. I focused more on my friends and they did not share the same love for it as I did. I slowly forgot how much it meant to me. I came to this site to reignite the passion I once had, and hopefully, I can do just that.

Ever since I was little, I loved to play pretend and get lost in my own little world. Though my friends grew past it, it stuck with me!

It was definitely something for me that was an escape from the real world and an awesome creative outlet. I also do some writing (or try to anyway) so I took it as a way to develop that skill as well. I think the first place that I discovered it was Neopets and it hooked me into that world. Unfortunately, it's been so long since I have at this point, but I miss the creativity that I used to have that seemed to almost stem from it, so here I am!

I began to roleplay to improve myself as a writer, to hone my skills and do the best that I can. I also did it as an escape from the real world. My household wasn't in the greatest state and truthfully, still isn't. I used roleplaying as an outlet to escape from that. To create or take part in something that I could only dream of, and wish, that was real. Even in my younger years, I would roleplay. Not through words, but pretend. Acting out things in my bedroom with music blasting, it got me into it. Years later, I'm still here and still writing with many people.

Well, I haven't done much roleplaying yet, but my intention is to have fun Rp-ing interesting characters without the stress of developing a full-on story narrative. I suppose you could say I'm giving RP a shot as a break from writing. I want something to do that is relaxing after work rather than stressful :p

A fondness for writing coupled with a desire to essentially 'experience' those stories. Roleplaying is probably the only medium in which you can do both, at the same time!

Reactions: Zat
Started role-playing because I've always been interested in fantasy and storytelling, not mention I've always been into writing poetry and songs.
My first experience with it wasn't the greatest as I had never done it before, but I think I caught on pretty quickly.
It's exciting to me to create characters, places, powers, attributes, back stories and ongoing stories that you are actively taking part in.
It's like having another dimension of fantasy to live within and simultaneously take part in the creation of.

My classmates and I started roleplaying on Yahoo chatrooms instead of doing our classwork. We found it helped us get motivated for some of our art assignments and Englist lit assignments. Surprisingly our grades in English class started to improve afterward so we were given more art class time. We all stuck around in Ayenee for awhile, and a few of us were still writing together up until a few years ago. Good times, good times.

It was finding a place to escape mine. Around the time I was 11 I first wrote with someone else but it was more of a fanfiction where we traded back and forth writing from the same girls perspective. It was one of those cringy fanfics we would all laugh about today. However, I really enjoyed being able to create something that wasn't there with someone else who also knew everything about it, who I could connect with in terms of my passion. My friend was much more into dance though and never wrote more than the 5 chapter long fanfiction about a girl going to see her dad in Canada and getting stuck on a plane with Taylor Lautner (ew).
When I was 12, I got accepted and into the second rounds of a writing competition but was turned away because my story about a woman's plane crashing (what was with me and planes?) into the sea and finding its way into a cavern that held a portal to a secret medieval realm was deemed "too unrealistic" and "writing should be done for others to connect the story with their own real lives, magic is not realistic" (literal words used, note this was a very traditional catholic area). I was outraged, I spend that night on the family computer looking up magic story writing groups and it all started there.

Today I write for other reasons. I write to understand and to explore in a way that still allows me to escape and create magnificent things.

Back