Why do female characters not play dominant roles?

Cornflower Returns

I’m John Laurens in the place to be
In my experience, this is a big deal. I pride myself on playing both strong male characters and soft male characters, since females are hard for me to play. But others don’t do this. One roleplayer on another website -who was playing a female character-would only play with me if I did all the work. I can’t do all the work. Has anyone else encountered this? And, if so, does anyone know how to remedy it?

Reactions: N0X
Hi, Emo Angel! Welcome aboard. I can definitely understand your struggle. Playing strong female characters is my personal favorite, but also have played my fair share of soft girls, too. It's really hard to roleplay with someone who isn't at your level, which is fine. We're all at different levels and it can take a little bit of practice adapting to be able to rp with anyone, no matter the skill. That said, it's really important for me that my rp partner puts in as much effort as I, or there's a pretty big chance I will lose motivation or interest in the rp if they don't even so much as try. Sometimes it takes a little digging around to find just what you're looking for. There's a lot of really great strong female writers and characters to be found in many rp forums!

Also, Welcome to STC!

Hi, Emo Angel! Welcome aboard. I can definitely understand your struggle. Playing strong female characters is my personal favorite, but also have played my fair share of soft girls, too. It's really hard to roleplay with someone who isn't at your level, which is fine. We're all at different levels and it can take a little bit of practice adapting to be able to rp with anyone, no matter the skill. That said, it's really important for me that my rp partner puts in as much effort as I, or there's a pretty big chance I will lose motivation or interest in the rp. Sometimes it takes a little digging around to find just what you're looking for. There's a lot of really great strong female writers and characters to be found in many rp forums!

Also, Welcome to STC!
Thank you for welcoming me! And is that Persephone from Lore Olympus as your pfp? Anyway, thank you for your advice, I really needed that confidence.

@EMO Angel Yes, it is! We got another LORE fan, yay! :emoji_heart_eyes_cat:

One thing I think might be a hurdle is the overall fact that many a strong female character, both in character and out of character, are found difficult to roleplay with (deal with) by the general roleplayer populace. Women who are considered "too much" are discouraged in almost all areas of society, off-line as well as online. Who knows why this phenomenon might be? Perhaps people have just been conditioned to think this way about strong female characters in general. Think about how the media treats strong women. There's a short list of women under fire for being "too much" right off the top of my head atm but I don't want to risk triggering people lol ...Yes, we worship them in private, but not before the media drags them through the mud, first! Or maybe I'm putting way too much thought into it. :emoji_joy_cat:

@EMO Angel Yes, it is! We got another LORE fan, yay! :emoji_heart_eyes_cat:

One thing I think might be a hurdle is the overall fact that many a strong female character, both in character and out of character, are found difficult to roleplay with (deal with) by the general roleplayer populace. Women who are considered "too much" are discouraged in almost all areas of society, off-line as well as online. Who knows why this phenomenon might be? Perhaps people have just been conditioned to think this way about strong female characters in general. Think about how the media treats strong women. There's a short list of women under fire for being "too much" right off the top of my head atm but I don't want to risk triggering people lol ...Yes, we worship them in private, but not before the media drags them through the mud, first! Or maybe I'm putting way too much thought into it. :emoji_joy_cat:
PERSEPHONE PROTECTION SQUAD ASSEMBLE! And thank you for the information. I have seen this happen, and a lot of people probably believe this. I’ll keep that in mind. Also, thanks for the follow

• Love
In my experience, this is a big deal. I pride myself on playing both strong male characters and soft male characters, since females are hard for me to play. But others don’t do this. One roleplayer on another website -who was playing a female character-would only play with me if I did all the work. I can’t do all the work. Has anyone else encountered this? And, if so, does anyone know how to remedy it?

When you say 'do all the work'... do you mean from the point of view of driving the story forward? Or more that your male character has to be the one to save the day?

I'd chalk that particular experience up to an inexperienced story teller.

When you say 'do all the work'... do you mean from the point of view of driving the story forward? Or more that your male character has to be the one to save the day?
Both actually. I’m glad you brought it up. By ‘doing all the work’ I meant that they would: 1. refuse to move the story forward along with me, forcing me to work twice as hard, 2. I -my character- always had to be the one to save the day.

Yeah I would chalk that up to just inexperience. As I do a lot of world building in roleplays my characters tend to be given exposition roles but it’s rarely tied to any particular personality trait.

It’s just hey rather than me sending you a full google drive of world building I’ll just have my character explain what’s going on.

And my favorite partners always do something similar. But I have run into my share who don’t seem to know how to do anything but passively react to what I say.

I do my best to enourage them in OOC just so I don’t have to do all the heavy lifting myself.

Hey there! As someone that strictly roleplays as only female I can say that the best plots I've done is where my character is the strong and brave female. I don't see why people don't care for writing as a strong female. I find it quite fun and it's makes your writing companion pretty invested. I do wish it was more common to see a strong female role. As I said its very fun to write in the perspective of one. I hate when people don't put the same amount of effort in writing as I do. So I understand your struggles. (if anyone wants to write with someone that can play as a strong or dominant female role I got you :0)

As a female-player myself, I will have to say all my characters are dominant so at first I was confused then I read it.

I don’t think this has anything to do with the player playing a female character, and more to do with the player themselves. If they can’t write a engaging female character that pushes the story forward. Then the problem is them.

I would recommend finding a new partner.

I'd like to add my two cents to the discussion.

In roleplaying many of us are familiar with the expression "Mary Sue". We all seem to agree it's about a character who is too perfect and flawless, or too powerful so they can't be challenged by anything that happens in the story, or someone who everyone likes.

Ever since the term became something we all use, people are terrified of doing things that would lead their character to be called a Mary Sue. Now, interestingly enough, despite the fact that both males and females can be Mary Sues, we tend to react faster to females showing signs of being Mary Sues than we do with male characters. And this isn't out of malice or sexism. The thing is that since the term was created based on female characters who displayed these kinds of traits, we tend to relate them a bit more with female characters.

What does this mean? That sometimes roleplayers won't be willing to do certain things they'd do with a male character if their character is female, mostly because they don't want their character to be labelled as a Mary Sue.

To think of a common example, think of a character like Superman. He comes from another planet, is incredibly powerful to the point where most weapons are useless against him, and one of the only things that can stop him is kryptonite. Besides that he's pretty unstoppable. If you created a female superhero who comes from another planet, has all sorts of superpowers and is almost unstoppable, except for a single weakness, I'd bet that a large majority of readers will start getting Mary Sue vibes from your character. And it's not because Superman is a Mary Sue, far from it. What I mean to say is that people tend to label female characters as Mary Sues much quicker than they label male characters as Mary Sues.

In reality, I'd say the definition of a Mary Sue would be someone who distorts the story to center around them. It doesn't have to do with an overpowered character or a perfect character, though those are common traits in a Mary Sue. A Mary Sue will distort the story and become the center of the universe. Everything must lead back to the Mary Sue. Everyone who is good will like her, and everyone who is bad will hate her. Everyone who is right will agree with her, and everyone who disagrees with her is wrong or evil. A Mary Sue doesn't allow for a proper plot to form, because the essence of a Mary Sue is to be the center of the world it lives in, and everything else merely exists to show how special, good or unique the Mary Sue is.

I'm aware that this is just a hypothetical possibility, and that many roleplayers probably have different reasons for why they won't play a strong female character, but this is something I encountered a few times. It has to do with our perception of the term "Mary Sue".

That being said I actually love roleplays where a female character plays a more dominant role. I had this roleplay once where my roleplay partner had a female character who was a skilled scientist, and she had brought together a team of superheroes. She was basically the leader figure for the team, and the one that kept them all working together. She hired an assistant (my character), who grew to develop a crush on her, and his job was mostly to help out with anything she needed, and he had his own robot helper as well.

While the superheroes were doing the actual fighting against villains, it was the scientist who was the true leader of the team and the one that everyone respected and followed. It really made for an interesting dynamic that I don't think I've seen in other roleplays I've been in. The superheroes themselves were young adults, but they didn't like each other, they would bicker with each other and the scientist had to try and get them to get along and work together. At times she seemed like the mom for the whole team. And of course, I had the lab assistant who was basically there to help her, and had a huge crush on the scientist, though so far the RP hasn't really gone anywhere with the potential romance plot, but due to the nature of the RP, I'm sure the scientist will keep her dominant role even after she and the assistant become a couple.

So... yeah.

I abolutely LOVE strong women in movies, tv shows, whatever...

When they're done well.

What really makes me dissapointed is when they're just strong because they think they have to be. When the creators think that there NEEDS to be a strong woman, and when they're really overpowered. Ex: Rey, almost every female character from the star wars sequels, Korrah, etc.
And I'm not opposed to strong female characters. Ashoka is my favorite character ever. But she got beat. She had opportunities to show her character. She had weaknesses.
Characters like Rey, where she beats the crap out of a fully trained sith lord being the first time she ever picked up a lightsaber - really, really dissapointing.

I abolutely LOVE strong women in movies, tv shows, whatever...

When they're done well.

What really makes me dissapointed is when they're just strong because they think they have to be. When the creators think that there NEEDS to be a strong woman, and when they're really overpowered. Ex: Rey, almost every female character from the star wars sequels, Korrah, etc.
And I'm not opposed to strong female characters. Ashoka is my favorite character ever. But she got beat. She had opportunities to show her character. She had weaknesses.
Characters like Rey, where she beats the crap out of a fully trained sith lord being the first time she ever picked up a lightsaber - really, really dissapointing.
I strongly agree with you. It's about how the character is portrayed. A strong female character doesn't need to be overpowered or invulnerable in order to be strong. I feel it's less about the skill and powers a character has and more about their personality, how they conduct themselves in different situations and grow as a character. Sure, being strong in combat or having unique powers is ok, but that shouldn't be the only reason they're considered strong. That would be a shallow way of demonstrating it.

I think the best strong characters, for both genders, are characters that display empowering traits, traits that are applicable to real-life situations and are good examples of what an empowered person is. Things like perseverance, emotional strength, willpower, courage, confidence, etc. Having weaknesses is actually one of the best ways to show a character's strength in my opinion, as if nothing can ever challenge your character, then they're boring characters, and we end up not caring too much because we fail to feel the stakes high, since the character can't really be challenged. If a charater has a weakness though, we can see them struggle, see their emotional strength tested, and thus when they rise to overcome the challenge it's all the more powerful and empowering.

Fighting skills and cool powers are nice to have, but I think the core of a strong character of either gender are the personality traits that go along with it. Let them display empowering traits that could inspire people to be like that in real life. It's hard to relate to a character whose only strength are abilities are unrealistic and overpowered, but one that has positive and empowering personality traits is sure to be relatable, more enjoyable to root for, and much more satisfying to watch succeed.

There can be a lot of reasons why people will do that. There are two main ones that I've come across the most

* not strong writers so they rely on what society has long done. Stereotyped men as the strong superior gender. And or they themselves enjoy the feeling of being saved.

Most the time I find those kinds of people have very one dimensional rehashed characters who just like to go along for the ride and I don't understand it...

* some of them are just beginners who need time to figure out how it all works and learn how to develop their own characters. My first characters were usually the damsel in destress but I was also pretty young and quickly learned to do better

I'm a strong believer in any character can play a dominant role, regardless of their gender. Any gender can have a strong lead, male, female, trans, non-bi, etc. It really depends on the writer and what sort of character they want to have in their story. Some prefer the damsel in distress trope, having the female be saved by the strong heroic male character, and that's totally fine! Where others would love for their female lead to be kicking ass right along with any male character. Again, it depends on the person and what they want to aim for in their writing. I do agree with what @TMITM said on the matter as well, but again, to each their own.

@EMO Angel

It can happen with anyone I think and it probably stems in part from culture and fiction. Women are often relegated to secondary roles, like being the damsel in distress or solely being in the story as a love interest. This has been the case for thousands of years and only in the last 100 years or so have women gotten equal rights at all. Indeed some might make a very credible case that women still aren't equal to this very day. Depending of course on what country you're in.

It'll take longer for female characters to gain equal treatment and equal roles.

As for underperforming roleplaying partners, communicate to them that you'll need them to step up and if they won't then move on. It sounds harsh but both partners should enjoy the RP and if you aren't then it just becomes a weight you're carrying around. That's not good for you and it will start to impact the quality of the RP as well.

Hope this little rant helps!

Back