Why do people like (only) romance roleplays?

bluestars

On some other roleplay sites, I noticed a large population of the users would ask for things like:
-Bxg!
-MXM romance!!
and etc.
They would set up a small plot (typically something like bad boy x good girl) and go from there. Normally the plot revolves around the romance and has no other focus.
Personally, I like to have an over-arching plot with a side of romance since I find the only romance plots boring. I see these roleplays everywhere nowadays and I just don't understand the appeal of them. So, does anyone know what makes these roleplays so popular?

I think I know but could just be assuming things. I think they are popular because the roleplayers themselves want the same things (in their stories) to happen to them in real life. They want a movie-ish romance but can only live in their fantasy worlds through RP... Or they are just suckers for that kind of story/RP. I find them boring too. XD

That makes sense... lol I roleplay because I like the drama of it so forcing characters together is just dull. Also, I love your signature, it made me laugh. :)

I agree with PuddingPalGal in both of those sentiments. Romance is also popular because people of all walks and ways of life from all around the world are able to relate to it. Even if they haven't been in love or a relationship themselves they've experienced other people in love or some form of media or other in which the characters share a romantic relationship. Why do you think so many popular songs are written about love after all. Evidently, we as humans happen to love love, or the idea of it at the very least.

In regard to why so many people search after specifically romance driven RP though. In my opinion, it's because it's something simple and again, very popular. If you're looking for a bite on a RP site you're going to get one much faster with "FxM Romance/Good girl x Bad boy/50's era" then you are with some super lore heavy detailed plot with 6 different arcs across a century timeline. Cutting out a significant plot means that they can get to the romance quicker and if that is their main goal to RP then why go through all that extra work? Of course, that's not to talk for all romance-main RPers. To each their own really, at the end of the day it's about enjoying yourself and having fun through writing!

To add to this real quick, because I thought of it literally as I hit submit. I think a lot of people, namely young people, start out with simple romance RP because again, it's easy and I know in my case at least, I thought that was what RPing was. It took me easily a year as a young teen to discover the humongous scope that RPing can span across and boy am I ever glad that I did.

That makes a lot of sense! I understand the heavy plot thing- sometimes I'm just so now in the mood to think of a bunch of lore and super intense plot. I guess in that regard, the quick n' easy way is pretty smart. When I first started out, I was basically thrust into a bunch of group roleplays with a bit of a horror/mystery plot, so I never saw the romance roleplays until I started looking into other sites.
Thanks for explaining, your answers definitely helped me see why so many people like them.

I think its the suspense of it. And no one can think of a good enough plot to
create the same suspense that a romance can do.
Don't get me wrong, I love romance as much as anyone, but I also like to venture
out to different genre's as well.

Back