Question Why Xenforo?

Out of curiosity, why does Storyteller's Circle use a paid product (Xenforo) instead of an free/open source solution like MyBB (MyBB because Wikipedia's comparison table says it has the same features as Xenforo)? Seems like that would help cut down costs from licensing.

As a side note, while looking at the MyBB site, I found that the MyBB merge tool allows migration from a Xenforo forum. If you host on a VPS, you could also use the MyBB Docker image, which would cut down on maintenance required for installing/updating MyBB. It would just require a container for the database as well, with a volume for persisting the database contents.

I'm sure at least part of the reason for sticking with Xenforo is because you're currently using it and there's a time cost to switching, which is understandable. I've had a hard time finding a site like this though, so I'd like to help make sure it continues operating for a long time. Also, I'm a fan of open source software. I don't know anything about the infrastructure behind the site and don't pretend to, though, so take this mention of MyBB as a potential alternative, if already planning to make a migration to a new major version.

As another side note, while I don't have any experience with forum software in particular, I do have experience with administering websites in general and with Linux systems (which I assume the server runs on). I'd be willing to help with technical things from time to time, if necessary. I also have experience with CSS (shudder).

Quick answer is simply convenience. At the time that we decided to get a RolePlay site going, I had more money than I had time, and Xenforo appealed because it either offered the features we needed, was poised for good growth, and I found its license fees fairly affordable. It's served its purpose pretty well, and the amount of time and money already invested certainly would feature in a reluctance to not stick with it. Granted that could arguably be a sunk cost fallacious sentiment, but there it is.

Speaking of cost and worries about continuity of operations:

Even now, we're only seeking donations to upgrade because recently we've (meaning myself and Tiko) had a child, and that required some restructuring of our finances. People seem to really enjoy our site and have been very generous with helping finance its upkeep and development, but if I truly had no choice we could keep it going entirely on our dime.

It would just require sacrificing anything resembling disposable income for me in the short term, and that's something I'm prepared to do. I view donations as a boon, people enjoy their time here enough to ease our ability to keep it going, but at the end of the day it's still our responsibility to keep the lights on. There's not much chance of that not continuing to happen. At the risk of sounding cliche; this site is a labor of love. After more than a decade of stumbling through other similar sites, we've decided to make it our home in tune with our ideals, and we've no intention of letting it fall by the wayside.

That being said, I wouldn't object to checking MyBB out again sometime. Last time I gave them a try was quite a few years ago, so I've no idea if their current stage of development would be better suited to our needs. I'd have to do some comparison and check around to see how the availability of their plugin system measures against Xenforo's add-on system in terms of people releasing things that could help enhance the role-playing experience (having a kid certainly hasn't helped in the time issue).

I might try to tinker around and spin up a cheap VPS to give it a go sometime.

As another side note, while I don't have any experience with forum software in particular, I do have experience with administering websites in general and with Linux systems (which I assume the server runs on). I'd be willing to help with technical things from time to time, if necessary. I also have experience with CSS (shudder).

As for your side note, I will certainly keep it in mind. I make the fact that I am at best a talented amateur no secret. Not against bringing in someone actually studying CS and who knows what they're doing far more fundamentally. You might live to regret offering yet, but first let's see if you actually come to enjoy your time around with us. Enjoy our community and your time with us, and if you still feel the same in the future we'll talk.

Last edited:
As for your side note, I will certainly keep it in mind. I make the fact that I am at best a talented amateur no secret. Not against bringing in someone actually studying CS and who knows what they're doing far more fundamentally. You might live to regret offering yet, but first let's see if you actually come to enjoy your time around with us. Enjoy our community and your time with us, and if you still feel the same in the future we'll talk.

Haha fair enough. I think I'll be enjoying the community - I already am - and I'm the sort of person who likes to help out in the communities I'm part of. So I'll probably be feeling the same in the future. Writing is one of those things I enjoy doing and don't do enough of.

Thanks for making this site, by the way.

Back