World Building Group Thread (our RP name is a WIP) [OOC]

Lazzamore

WAAAAAAAAAA-
This group was organised on this bulletin board post, our goal is to create an RP and have fun world-building together to do it!

I'll compile our progress in different tabs as we go.

Alright, we have a lot to decide on, so we gotta get going. First thing to do is to figure out show-stoppers. I want all of you to contribute, so I'm thinking we should determine what we all want to avoid in the RP's setting that would make us lose interest. We can't avoid too many things, so each of us should list 1 - 3 or so, no more than 3.

I'll go first: Overly specific gimmicks: I know people who can do wonderful things with a focus and theme for the world, sadly I am not that guy. I tend to lose interest with worlds that have a tight theme and concept that the content needs to obey. Bare in mind, I still want us to have global ideas and paradigms, jI would just prefer to be open.

Thoughts?

If we're going to say one thing that will make us lose interest....

Introducing supernatural powers and entities. I will quit as soon as we have an angel, demon, or wizard. I like there to be a a reasonable explanation for any and everything that is happening.

Ooh, a big one! :)

Are you against a paradigm that has gods/religion? You guys know I like my godly characters, but besides the cultural aspect in the setting I'm more then happy to do low-fantasy.

If it is a cultural thing and people believe in a god and have a religion I don't mind. Can't stop superstitions of characters. Lol

If we're going to say one thing that will make us lose interest....

Introducing supernatural powers and entities. I will quit as soon as we have an angel, demon, or wizard. I like there to be a a reasonable explanation for any and everything that is happening.

So...you're saying it's cool if we have supernatural powers/fantasy elements you just want an explanation for it? I'm not trying to be a smartass, just read it twice and can't figure out how to make it now sound like I'm being a smart ass, I'm just trying to understand if that's what you mean.

I'm saying I don't care if your character believes there is a god. What I don't like is supernatural powers and entities, for example, when a character has supernatural powers or they are a god, angel, demon, etc.

Ah. I see. I'm rather different as I like to build more fantasy style worlds with plenty of magic and monsters and often times the gods I create are real, being physical beings created from the beliefs and ideals of the people who believes in them.

It sounds to me that, what we need to decide first, is the genre we are doing specifically, such as to accommodate out personal pet peeves as well as desires. I'm fine with most any genre, but will be more involved in the particulars. EG: the idea of a generic zombie apocalypse, like something from Left 4 Dead or the like, has little appeal to me. However, take an apocalyptic disease that can have zombie qualities and take it to the scale and twists as seen in something like Stand Still and Stay Silent, then you'll have grabbed me. Naturally, we'd have to cut the supernatural elements as seen in the webcomic to respect Silence's wishes, but at the end of the day, I'll be fine with most any genre, so long as we make it interesting.

Which, by in large, is what we are partly aiming to do in our world creating. Guess that'll also be my pet peeve.

I'm not much for slice of life RP's, I get enough of that in real life and they tend to bore me.I also am not much of a fan fiction person, I don't like the constraints that put on my character playing. I usually like a medieval setting but that isn't a must. I guess I really don't have much of a pet peeve except when it comes to godmodding. I don't like that.

Alright, Noted everyone so far under 'global concepts'. While we are at this, we also need to take a vote on Genre. What does everyone prefer? Personally my favorite is fantasy, medieval particularly, but the exact idea is negotiable. We'll take a vote; what's everyone want to do this RP as?

Fantasy and Medieval, though I sometimes fantasy with different types of eras and other genres, like Steampunk Fantasy, Arthurian fantasy and so on.

Hmmmm....I like most time frames. However, I somewhat like the idea of a sci fi world touching a medieval setting. Just an idea. Could be me feeling crazy. Lol

I'm good with just about everything, fantasy, sci-fi. medieval. Not as much of a fan of steam punk or post apocalyptic but I'm adaptable. ^^

I like most genres, and looking back at rps I’ve done, I’ve mostly done fantasy, sci fi, adventure and other similar genres. Though honestly I’ll go with whatever, but if my opinion is wanted I do tend to like the three genres I mentioned. There is not much I don’t like.

I'm open to Medieval or Sci fi or modern! I'm also not that big on post-apocalyptic but under the right setting, I'd be open to it if that's the consensus.

It seems medieval and fantasy are the two biggest genres people like. If we want to combine the two, I'd say low fantasy? Limited magic, but heavy medieval (13th-14th century tech) influence?

If we do make a medieval RP, I still would try to argue that it might be better to have some low fantasy elements, like fantasy creatures and limited magic, to keep things fresh and mix things up from time to time.

I like fantasy of any era. I prefer medieval fantasy. I'm not much for post apocalyptic, mystery, thriller, or slice of life. Silence's idea sounds interesting to me.

Back