Write Haikus

Old Scratch

I haven't noticed any threads dedicated to the subject so I'd like to open this up to everyone who would like to try their hand at writing a haiku. Check out this Wikipedia link for more information on haikus. I am by no means an expert on haikus or their history and relevance to Japanese culture but since this is an English-speaking website, I propose that we use the "traditional" format of three phrases consisting of five syllables, seven syllables, and then five again. However, don't let this limit your creativity, especially if you're knowledgeable in the true tradition of haikus rather than the barely surface level knowledge that I possess.

Sometimes when I'm battling with that dreaded writer's block, I write a few haikus to try to get my brain rolling. Personally, I think it is the sense of writing something and then actually finishing it that helps me out so much, even if it is only a few phrases. So with no further ado, I'll get this ball rolling:

Sitting in my room,
All alone except for you,
And you're not even here

View attachment 5452
(Just to point out, notice how I've already "cheated". My third phrase is six syllables instead of five and I could fix it simply by omitting the word 'and' but I like it the way it is and I encourage you to take the same approach. I'm more interested in adhering to the spirit of the rules, not the letter.)

The stranger's eyes are
Looking back at me because
I am looking, too

Edit: I didn't like this one even when I wrote it. I wish I hadn't posted it. I think the next one does a much better job at how I feel about how much I've changed from just a few years ago but that sometimes feels like longer. I don't feel like a stranger so much as I do a different (hopefully better) person.

Last edited:
Back