Writing: Hobby or Passion?

firejay1

Spider-Witch of the Sea
I love to write, but I gave up on becoming a published author a long time ago and mostly write for myself now. What about you all? Are you thinking to become an official author? Do you write for yourself/fun? Or are you maybe planning to go into a different career to fund your writerly pursuits? :)

Bit of both I supose. Its a good way to explore new ideas, and also a good way to live out some things that wuldnt be very posible/safe/reasonable/viable/legal/moral/etc. to try for real. I mean, I done some pretty wild things in my time, but there are some I'd stil prefer to just keep in RP form.

I do plan to become an author, and plan on taking up a major in creative writing during college. Though,, I haven't really written anything in a while (I'd say the last thing I wrote was a small collaborative story sometime before graduating high school) that I've contemplated fixing up a bit and actually emailing an author I met who talked at my school some years ago about publishing and such.

Even my fanfictions that I wrote for fun haven't been touched in about a year or two.

I feel like I should elaborate what I meant by 'fixing up' the collaborative story; it's more of retconning and starting from scratch I guess? The main plot will likely be the same I suppose, but there are things I'd rather not have in it that I personally wrote and think could be fixed somehow. I've only contemplated getting in contact with the author over how to get a work published and such and I would honestly say out of everything I had part in writing the story the summary was the best thing in my opinion, since I'm pretty proud of it. I'm starting to ramble now, so I might just head off to bed.

Last edited:
Writing is definitely a hobby for me. I have mad respect for those who do it full-time. As much as I love to write, I don't think I could ever commit to it enough to create something worth publishing. I do enjoy it as an escape from the real world and all my responsibilities, though. C:

I've humored the idea of writing a book or a screenplay.

But my attention span is simply too mangled to the point that I'd never be focused enough to do it. Something like this requires a lot of long-term dedication and trial and error(with getting back drafts from your editors and the like.) Simply not an option for someone like me. But I'm happy with what I do now.

Writing for me is a hobby, it might become something more in the future, definitely could be considering I'm playing around with the idea of becoming an author in the future. But as it stands now it's something I pursue as a hobby. A really fun hobby mind you.

Writing I am neither here nor there on. But storytelling c: Listening to good stories is a passion. Becoming a good story teller is my life's goal. So I have been very passionate about writing. It just depends on the story the writing tells.

I cling to it as a passion. It feels strange to say it is my hobby, because it means more to me than that.
Passionately typing until your fingers ache, or writing until you have calluses against your fingers,
are testaments to what you have brought out of your mind and capable of evoking things in everyone
that decides to read it. Reading a written story is one of the few forms to take something out of your
brain, and hand it to someone else, dredging up feelings to match what you put into it.

I would hope to one day be able to write my own books, but for now, I am happy to write with others.

0fc.gif

My honest opinion is it's kinda both depending how you look at it. I love to write, over half the time I do so I would say I'm compassionate because the things I put down on paper are the things that I enjoy.

I'd like to say that writing for me at the moment is a passionate hobby. I mostly write for myself but if a few others like what I create than it makes me happy. Someday, if I can, I'd like to publish a book. It all depends on if someone likes my idea.

I start too many things at once for writing to be anything more than a hobby, but I enjoy it enough to try to practice at least. I try to keep things I enjoy as a hobby in general, because without expending enough energy into discipline I burn out quickly. In other words, I'm too lazy ;)

Hmmm, I'd LOVE to write stuff as a job but only if I got to write what I wanted. That's the main problem. What I like is weird fanfictions and stuff of other people's works. I suppose writing is a passion for me then, because I keep it between me and my friends and don't sell it for money (though it'd be awesome if I could do so, lol). Even if I tried to write my own book with normal characters, I'd get too lazy to finish the second page and go take hour long naps heehe!

It’s a hobby for me. For a while, it was something I wanted to do as a career. And it is, undoubtedly, still something that I am passionate about. I love writing, but it isn’t in my plan to be a writer.

My plan is to be an actress; that’s my biggest passion. I’m really an artistic person, and I’ve always been drawn to the arts. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t want to do something in the arts. Acting, though, is what I’ve found myself loving more than anything else.

I don’t think I would ever be able to dedicate myself to writing the way that I do with acting. I think that’s where it divides from a passion and to a hobby for me. With acting, I just spend such a huge amount of my time doing it and practicing—learning dialects, watching movies, practicing posture, searching for auditions. It’s a lot of work, and I don’t think I would ever be able to commit that much to writing.

However, I do still love to write. Of course, if writing pops up in my career, I would gladly take the opportunity. Maybe I’ll end up writing a screenplay; who knows? Only time will tell.

But for now, I’ll stick to keeping acting out the story as my truest passion.

For me, it's both. I don't write often enough for it to be a way of making money, but I write because I enjoy writing and am genuinely passionate. But at the same time, that I don't have the time for it to be more than a hobby. I really want to publish at some point, though.

For myself writing has always been more of a hobby, just something I do in my spare time simply because I love reading. I don't think I could ever handle the pressure of being an author and as I've gotten older, I've found that I get more anxiety when it comes to letting friends/family read what I've written.

Writing is personally a hobby for me, but I can't say I write only for myself. I don't plan on becoming a published author, or at least it's not my main pursuit in life (the would be becoming a veterinarian). When I write stories, I write because I have a story I want to tell. Now, the people I let see the story aren't just anyone, admittedly. But I enjoy letting those close to me read my stuff!

Writing is a hobby for me, and I mostly write for fun (or therapy). I wouldn't mind publishing one of my short stories or poems but for longer stories... I get kinda conflicted. Maybe cause I don't wanna share it or people might not like and think it drags on. But overall, if I get an opportunity to publish I might take it.

A passionate hobby? :p

It's my past time and it's also my drive. It helps me figure out how to take the stresses of real life but also engages me with a whole slew of amazing individuals who are truly exceptional writers. I like to help my friends instead in their publishing ventures, no matter what the outcome...seeing their work process is amazing in itself.

I am not interested in publishing myself but that doesn't mean I am not heavily involved and interested in creating a piece of work with other writers with perhaps the same fervor that a recognized author may have.

It's all good fun. ^_^

It's a hobby for me, since I got divorced in 2009 I've used it as a way to take my mind off things that are stressful.

More recently my daughter has come of age to read some of my work and actually inspired and requested me to do some of the works I put out...

It's embarrassing and exhilarating at the same time, I get more of a kick out of it when she gets invested in the story. In fact one RP that I do came about because she got upset at TV program, and asked me to write something better.

Other things I've written have just all been in fun or helping out a friend who needed someone who has a way with words! :D

Back