Writing: Hobby or Passion?

I am desperate to hang on to my writing as a passion, but as I've gotten older it has become increasingly difficult. I have tried once before to write a novel with my best friend and we got pretty far along, but she became very sickly and that came to a tragic end. I'm fleshing my own story out now, but it requires extensive research. If I can somehow manage to write it beginning to end I will probably look into getting published.

I’ll give up on being a published author when I’m dead. I did self publishing. Got 2 books out this way. Do not recommend it personally, especially if you are lazy like me and won’t put in effort to market. Now I write for myself. So it’s both, hobby and passion.

It's really all about why you write. In my opinion, anyone who writes not because they have to, but because they want to has a passion for writing. If even through the frustration, the elation, and the condensation you persist, you are a true devotee of writing, my friend. @Skagosi

I see it as a hobby, but getting at least one book published is on my bucket list. I don't think that I could keep focused on a plot long enough to make it a career or even do more than one or two books. I like to write short stories sometimes but poetry is my strong suit ^^

I suppose in a way, it depends on somebody’s job/career. Personally, it’s a hobby for me - My dream has always been to be a journalist, which, would’ve made it a passion, but I just never managed to pick up on that said dream. It’s a pretty cool hobby, though.

Writing has always been a passion of mine, even back in the schooling days. As it stands today, it is still my passion. Currently, I do have a job that allows me to daydream, due to all the boardrum that occurs from countless hours of doing nothing but watching traffic. My father even suggested that I quit my job and try to get into investigative journalism.

Definitely a hobby. If it was anything more than a hobby for me, than I’d probably try to find a career revolving around it. But since being creative let’s the juices flow so to speak, I’m perfectly fine with keeping it a hobby :)

For me, it won't be my career, so to speak, but definitely something I am involving myself with seriously. I'm currently trying to get published and I'm not backing down on that! There's nothing stopping one from pursuing writing, even if they don't want to write for hours everyday!

I have always been an artistic child growing up, but a lot of methods that i tried to express myself ended in disaster, so i turned to writing. Writing for me is more of a hobby than a passion, but I do hope to one day publish my books, just to kinda leave a mark on the world and express myself.

I mostly just write as a hobby.

However, I recently lost my long-time roleplay, so I've been focusing on writing my own stories now. But I miss the community, so here I am.

Honestly I think I spend more time writing for myself than to get published. I find that deadlines will kill a story dead faster than I can blink. I like to take my time without having to bust out a 400 page novel because some editor is getting itchy.

I don't write so much as I RP. If I do write something, it's a bored hobby of mine. RPing, however, I would likely go insane if I stopped. I mean it. Even when I tried to take some time off, I couldn't. The longest I've gone without RPing is maybe three days max, and I was a little crazy by the end of that.

It's a passionate hobby! I couldn't stop writing if I wanted to. Granted, there have been points where I went on hiatus, but I've been writing all my life, and it's really hard to stop unless depression or irl circumstances stop me.

It started out as a hobby but then it formed into a passion, which I can say that I am glad that it did. Ever since I wrote my first story, I was immediately engulfed into making characters, worlds and just writing for quite some time. :)

• Love
Reactions: N0X
Back