Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Yosai: Yosai Village

Script

Adorable Homewrecker
Benefactor
as written by Script

The summer sun beat down over the hills just outside Yōsái Village, and a gentle breeze teased the grass and trees as it brushed by them. Clouds drifted by overhead, an off-white that spoke of the potential for rain in the near future. Sat upon a rise that overlooked the village, Kyo breathed out a sigh as the wind ran through her black hair, flicking her ponytail to the side. It was a tranquil scene, with only the wind and birdsong disturbing the quiet. From this distance, the sound of the village going about its daily business was inaudible - the hubbub of chatter between locals and the bartering of traders.

The sunlight reflected upon the large lake beside the humble-but-growing fishing village, glittering idyllically with the ripples. Its waters were peaceful and inviting...

...at least, to those who didn't know better. See, the fishing village had a problem. They weren't fishing. They couldn't fish. Their primary produce was inaccessible.

Nobody knew what had caused the kappa of lake to become so aggressive, of late, but it had only taken a few violent assaults on fishing boats and the loss of three good men for it to become apparent something was wrong. The kappa were usually, if not peaceful, unambitious. When they attacked boats - which was seldom - they tended to be in small numbers, relatively easy to fend off with spears and hooks. Now, though they were swarming any craft which dared venture more than five minutes out onto the waters, not only dragging passengers down to the depths but wrecking the boats themselves.

Some of the villages claimed to have seen them venturing out of the lake during the night, vandalising the docks and the homes nearby, but people were hesitant to believe them. The kappa had never been known to raid settlements on the land before, ever.

Kyo wasn't so sure. Damage had been done to the docks, and even the most delinquent youths of the village weren't so foolish as to even further cripple the foremost trade of their home. She'd resolved to stay up tonight and keep watch.

The fishermen were struggling to maintain their livelihoods fishing from the shore or resorting to alternate crafts, and it was only through the generosity of the local farmers that they weren't going hungry. So far, reports to the local minister had produced no real results. Some ministry guard had shown up and sniffed around, made some empty promises and disappeared. That had been over a week ago, and still any boats sent out were swiftly assaulted. Kyo glanced off to her left, at the road that passed by the base of her hilly overlook and wound down towards the village. Still no sign of any horses or vehicles that might bear assistance. It seemed the village was on its own for now.

The young hunter sighed and looked to her bow that lay on the ground beside her. If this were any other threat, she'd be taking up arms to aid her home, but what use was a bow against a foe that made its home beneath the water? There was no way for them to chase the creatures to their source without the aid of machinery or magic, and neither were in plentiful supply at the small settlement. She could at least take heart that her father's trade wasn't suffering too much. So long as she could still bring in game from the nearby forests for him to make his leather, they had a place, for now.

But if the hostilities from the kappa escalated much more, they might have a lot more than money to worry about soon.

Kyo sighed, leaning back and staring up at the sky. Something had to be done. There had to be a way to figure out what had the kappa so enraged. And she had to find it to save her home.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Tiko

The summer sun beat down over the hills just outside Yōsái Village, and a gentle breeze teased the grass and trees as it brushed by them. Clouds drifted by overhead, an off-white that spoke of the potential for rain in the near future. Sat upon a rise that overlooked the village, Kyo breathed out a sigh as the wind ran through her black hair, flicking her ponytail to the side. It was a tranquil scene, with only the wind and birdsong disturbing the quiet. From this distance, the sound of the village going about its daily business was inaudible - the hubbub of chatter between locals and the bartering of traders.

The sunlight reflected upon the large lake beside the humble-but-growing fishing village, glittering idyllically with the ripples. Its waters were peaceful and inviting...

...at least, to those who didn't know better. See, the fishing village had a problem. They weren't fishing. They couldn't fish. Their primary produce was inaccessible.

Nobody knew what had caused the kappa of lake to become so aggressive, of late, but it had only taken a few violent assaults on fishing boats and the loss of three good men for it to become apparent something was wrong. The kappa were usually, if not peaceful, unambitious. When they attacked boats - which was seldom - they tended to be in small numbers, relatively easy to fend off with spears and hooks. Now, though they were swarming any craft which dared venture more than five minutes out onto the waters, not only dragging passengers down to the depths but wrecking the boats themselves.

Some of the villages claimed to have seen them venturing out of the lake during the night, vandalising the docks and the homes nearby, but people were hesitant to believe them. The kappa had never been known to raid settlements on the land before, ever.

Kyo wasn't so sure. Damage had been done to the docks, and even the most delinquent youths of the village weren't so foolish as to even further cripple the foremost trade of their home. She'd resolved to stay up tonight and keep watch.

The fishermen were struggling to maintain their livelihoods fishing from the shore or resorting to alternate crafts, and it was only through the generosity of the local farmers that they weren't going hungry. So far, reports to the local minister had produced no real results. Some ministry guard had shown up and sniffed around, made some empty promises and disappeared. That had been over a week ago, and still any boats sent out were swiftly assaulted. Kyo glanced off to her left, at the road that passed by the base of her hilly overlook and wound down towards the village. Still no sign of any horses or vehicles that might bear assistance. It seemed the village was on its own for now.

The young hunter sighed and looked to her bow that lay on the ground beside her. If this were any other threat, she'd be taking up arms to aid her home, but what use was a bow against a foe that made its home beneath the water? There was no way for them to chase the creatures to their source without the aid of machinery or magic, and neither were in plentiful supply at the small settlement. She could at least take heart that her father's trade wasn't suffering too much. So long as she could still bring in game from the nearby forests for him to make his leather, they had a place, for now.

But if the hostilities from the kappa escalated much more, they might have a lot more than money to worry about soon.

Kyo sighed, leaning back and staring up at the sky. Something had to be done. There had to be a way to figure out what had the kappa so enraged. And she had to find it to save her home.

as written by Sentry

Most, but not all.

Sitting on one of the outdoor tables that was set up right outside a stall, a white-haired man with an eye patch sat. He was dressed in nice, but inexpensive robes, and sat to his left was a large leather pack. He had looked up just in time to spot the large catman, who was so obviously-

"...not from around here, right?" he called out, giving him a bright, friendly smile. "Have time to sit with a stranger and talk? Perhaps have some grilled fish. This is the best stall for spicy trout!" He gestured to the other side of the table. "Don't worry, this isn't me trying to advertise my own wares. I'll treat."

as written by Tiko and Sentry

Meke glanced overhead at the early morning sun beginning its ascent into the sky before rubbing lighly at his furry jaw.

"I must see to some errands," he told the white-haired man. "But I can spare a talk if you would sell me some of that fish."

He gestured to the barrels of trout.

____

Getting up, the man reached over to the barrels, drawing one close to him. "How much you looking for?" he asked, retrieving some string and hooks. "Also, if you don't mind a few questions, where you from? Whatcha lookin' for here in Yosai? We don't get many strangers like yourself." He rolled up his sleeves, looking up at the large cat man expectantly.

____

"Two," Meke replied. He riffled around in his clothes until he produced the rumpled money. He smoothed it out as best as he could before handing it across to the white-haired man. "And it is not Yosai that I seek. I am traveling to Mount Senji, and the Yuànsén Monastery."

"I am here only for another day. Takeuchi Kyo has spoken of your kappa problem. I am looking for workers to begin building a couple of fences along the steeper banks of the lake to make your roads safer again."

____

The man looked up at Meke, hooking the fish onto a rope. "Looking for some workers, huh?" He eyed all the fish that had been caught that morning. "Hmm..." Then, at all the obvious business he was receiving for the catch.

"And you think you'll find those workers in Mount Senji and at the Monastery?" he asked. "There's a lot of hard working men here, y'know. Your luck would probably be better, especially with fishing getting so difficult. People are looking for work." He held the fish out to the man.

"I'm looking for work. And I have a brother!"

as written by Script, Tiko, and Sentry

"Yuànsén you say?" From nearby in the market, a young man clad in blue glanced towards where Meke and Masaeyu were speaking. "I don't mean to eavesdrop, but I couldn't help but overhear."

Ryosuke offered Meke a bow of greeting with a smile, "The name's Matsui Ryosuke, student of Yuànsén and self-proclaimed swordsmaster. At your service, friend. What do you seek at the monastery, if I may ask?" As he rose, he flashed Masaeyu an amused grin, "Masa, you're being simple in the head again. He means he is searching for volunteers from here, to lend a hand with our problem. You think a traveller would go to the trouble of such a journey just to build a fence?"

____

Meke chuckled lowly.

"Indeed I am looking for workers here to begin the project," Meke explained. "Spare lumber and able hands. After that I must resume my own journey."

He took the offered fish and slung them over his shoulder.

"The reasons for my journey are personal," he explained to Ryosuke. "But they are not so urgent that I cannot assist with your kappa problem before I move on. I would ask of you to spread word of my intention among the village."

____

Masaeyu turned his head to catch Ryosuke, quite a familiar face, approaching. He glanced at Meke with an embarrassed chuckle. "Ah! My mistake!" He scratched the back of his head, brushing it off. "Well, in that case, you don't look like a madman at all for going about it that way!"

He let conversation pass between Ryosuke and Meke before speaking up once more. He wasn't sure if a fence in itself would fix the problem. They still needed to fish. They still needed to eat. But...it would bide them some time and hold back much danger so they would figure it out.

"We can do that." said Masaeyu. "Hey, Ryo, what are thoughts on this, ah?"

____

"A fence? Maybe it'll keep the children who like to play with death near the edge from falling in, and it will make it harder for the kappa to catch travellers unawares." Ryo shrugged his shoulders, "Not a solution, but a help, for sure."

He inclined his head to Meke in acknowledgement. "As you say. Many people come to the monastery for guidance in something close to their hearts. I do not doubt you will find something for you there. And of course, I'll spread the word for you."

Ryo grinned, "If there's one thing I'm good at other than the sword, it's talking."

____

Meke inclined his head in a nod.

"It is only my intention to provide a measure of safety for travelers on the road at night. It is not a solution, but if it affords some manner of protection until the source of the problem is solved, then it is time well spent."

He rubbed thoughtfully at his furry jaw.

"I must return these fish to Takeuchi Haruto. Volunteers are meeting down at the lake at noon if you would join with us."

____

"Understood. I'll make it! I'll get anyone I can to volunteer!" said Masaeyu to Meke, giving him a wave. "Enjoy the fish!"

This is good, thought Masaeyu. We get work. And without the danger of the kappa while fishing. It takes the strain off of a lot of the villagers. The children will be protected. So will any women who wander out.

He paused in thought, remembering that there was on little thing he needed to do. "Ryo!" he cried to the swordsman. "I need your help. I can't leave the stall and all the fish by itself. Would you mind finding my brother? He's out near the west side of the lake."

____

Ryo raised an eyebrow before nodding his head, "Alright, Masa. Is there a message you want me to carry, or ought I just say you're looking for him? And what on earth is he doing out there?" He shook his head with a chuckle, "In any case," Ryo glanced to Meke, "I'll be there at noon. One step at a time, eh?"

____

"Just tell him to get over here," said Masa. "He's been skirting his duties here at the stall anyway!" He shook his head with disappointment. "What's he doing there? What's he doing anywhere he goes but here? He's flippant and lazy, unlike his obviously diligent, peaceful older brother."

He sat himself back onto the table, finishing his meal. Yes, diligent and hard-working, Masaeyu was, at his empty stall. "And if you get a chance, give Youta a good smack in the back of the head. Not just for my sake, too."

Back