Yukio's Japanese Calligraphy | 諭紀雄さんの書道

Shodō (書道 / しょどう) (known as 书法 "shūfǎ" in Chinese) is the art of Japanese / Chinese brush calligraphy, where the calligrapher writes out certain words or phrases of significance using a brush and ink.

I'm not a master of calligraphy by a long shot, but I think I'm decent enough at it to show some of my work around here.

I'm also open to special requests, like having specific words written out or having your name translated into kanji.

~+~+~+~+~​

GncjeXB.png

剣 = Sword

------

mwVMcvg.jpg

The character 武 means "military", and depending on what it's coupled with, can mean anything military related. It's a perennial favourite when it comes to calligraphy, and it's a lot harder to write it well than it looks; the proportions have to be perfect, or it would look very skewed (written well, it should have a generally circular shape).

Here's a slightly more stylised rendition, of the phrase 武術 "martial arts":

9EgmA36.jpg

------

EMNqnRE.jpg

The kirin / qilin (麒麟) is a mythical chimaera-like creature in Japanese and Chinese folklore, often depicted as a half-horse half-dragon animal shrouded in flames.

Also notable because the characters making up its name are very complex (and also because Kirin is a brand of Japanese beer).

------

Q5QT5FJ.jpg

A couplet piece I did some time back.

学ぶ = to learn
翔る = to soar

Back