Zahmbies: An Impossibly Apocalyptic 1x1

aryamajor

Curious Adventurer
Benefactor
@Glitchy Dragon

Sariel emerged from her tent rubbing her eyes and stretched her arms up toward the tree tops. Her breath puffed out as steam in the cool morning breeze. It was tradition for her and a few friends to go camping around this time of year but it was always so cold in the mornings when they did. Of course, that always meant a good crisp flight if she really wanted it.

Yawning, Sariel passed her friends tents and headed toward the smouldering fire pit. Within a matter of minutes, she had a fresh pot of coffee brewing the old fashioned way. It would have been much faster in the city with an Auto-Pod but that's why they came camping. To get out of all the tech for a few days. Her grandmother would have called it 'good for the soul.'

As the wafting smell of fresh java filled the air, she heard a tent flap open and her feathers ruffled. "Good morning."

"Morning..." Locke mumbled as he popped his head out of the dark green tent. The teen had bedhead and so the entire leftside of his dirty blonde hair was flattened and muddled; Also, his eyes remained closed from lingering sleepiness despite being awake. "Is...is that coffee I smell?" Locke's black ears perk a little and his eyes open slightly.

Seeing the small setup she had going, he wrinkles his nose and pulls back into the tent laying back down onto the air mattress. "Blech...coffee is so bitter..." Clearly, his sweet tooth was showing again.

"Not if you put sugar in it," Sariel replied, with a roll of her eyes. As the thought of sugar came to mind, she went to her tent and pulled out the vaccum sealed container of sugar, then returned to the fire, dumping a healthy portion of it into a blue ceramic cup, before pouring the fresh brew over that. "C'mooon Locke. You know you want some before we go hiking."

Suddenly, a strange noise began to fill the air. It grew louder and louder, until it developed into a roar , rattling the trees. Sariel covered her ears and looked up to see something blazing through the sky, headed northward. It was moving so fast, she hardly thought it was real, but the sound was evidence enough. It looked like a rocket and it was heading toward the city.

"What the hell?!" Locke had begun to pull himself from his sleeping bag and attempt to undo the rest of the tent zipper, but fumbled over himself continuously in the heat of the fast paced event. "The f*ck...y-you saw that right?" The sensation of worry and anxiety clearly grew within him as he portrayed a heavy mixture of confusion and fear. Maybe it was something we just weren't supposed to see? The government is known to have had awful attempts in covering up experiments and private business anyways... Then again, this is some kind of rocket from what it looked. What's going on here?

"Of course I saw it!" Sariel said a little to loudly, "It looked like a rocket!" She glanced up at the trees, knowing that she didn't have quite enough room for her wingspan to fly up and see what was going on from a better vantage point. "Lets go check the radio in the car!"

Her wings fluttered behind her as she started running. The truck was parked about a half a mile down the hill away from their campsite, which took little time to scale when she half ran, half hopped into low glides where there was space to stretch her wings. When she reached her high rise truck, she quickly used the voice command to unlock the doors for them and pile in before hitting the radio.

The station was a little fuzzy, considering they were in the middle of the woods, but audible nonetheless.

A scratchy male voice came bellowing over the airwaves. "Ladies and Gentlemen this is Brent Memory from Fox 5 News and I am currently in Downtown where the much anticipated festival has just been completely interrupted by what appeared to be a rocket exploding in the middle of the crowd. Everything has turned to chaos down here as fire and greenish smoke continue to erupt from the rocket and spread across the park."

Screams of terror were the background to the reporters broadcast and Sariel cast a glance at Locke.

"Nobody seems to know what going on, no is taking charge. It is complete anarchy down here. Many people have been injured in the explosion and have scattered everywhere. I can here the sirens from the arriving fire trucks but they seem to be having difficulty reaching the scene because of the fleeing masses. It is really quite a scene down here folks and we're gonna be with you every----wait! Wait a minute ladies and gents, my crew and I have just received a report update. It seems that he rocket is in fact a ballistic missile and has broken up into smaller warheads all over the city! It's a massacre, pure massacre, purely and attack-"

The microphone picked up the sound of someone screaming "Oh God, OH GOD!" from behind the reporter as he continued his story and Sariel reached across and snapped the radio off, unable to bear anymore.

"It sounded like hell down there," she murmured after a long moment, "And the said that wasn't the only one. I can't believe we saw it, even 4 hours from the city."

"W-Well hang on a second, if...if things really are going to sh*t like this..." he trails off in his own words before his eyes widen. "Oh my God... Sariel, we need to get down to the city now. My little brother, he's the only family I have left." Damn, I sound so selfish right now. Locke wanted to encourage her as well, but felt a little unsure of himself as his mind began to cloud with worry for his only sibling.

He shakes his head. "The both of us, I mean. We ought to go check and see if we can help our folks..." Locke then pulls down the glove compartment and the sound of a gentle clicking is made. He pulls out an orange medication bottle and proceeds to unscrew the top off. "Dammit...finding meds is going to be a pain now..." The teen downs two purple pills before tossing back back the rest into the compartment. Noticably, he'd become quite jittery as his hands did seem to be shaking quite horribly.
This was most likely due to the spike of sudden anxiety(As he usually is quite tense which is why he takes the medication).

Back